Memphis, TN - HDTV - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4501 of 6091 Old 03-31-2007, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDNet and HDNet Movies are gone from Comcast.....
I just sent an email to Mark Cuban. I'm really going to miss those channels, and I can't go with D* or E*...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 6091 Old 04-01-2007, 09:25 AM

Wow, Mark Cuban actually replied to my email. He said to keep pestering them about it.
post #4503 of 6091 Old 04-01-2007, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
With HDNET gone I will likely be leaving Comcast behind as a bad memory. Can anyone comment on the benefits of Direct TV over Dish Network (or vice-versa) so far as available HD programming goes?

Thanks, Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4504 of 6091 Old 04-01-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post

With HDNET gone I will likely be leaving Comcast behind as a bad memory. Can anyone comment on the benefits of Direct TV over Dish Network (or vice-versa) so far as available HD programming goes?

Thanks, Bill

I can comment on D*. The cost for HD Access is 9.99/month. They are the reason HD-Lite came to fruition. They dumb down 1080i to 1280x1080. I've been with them since before they had the HD pack and I can tell a huge difference in HD PQ. Channels available are ESPN2HD, ESPNHD, Discovery HD Theater, HDNet, HDNet Movies, TNTHD, Universial HD, Showtime and HBO HD's when you sub to those packages, a HD special events channel which shows some HD sports and National Geographic sneak peaks, and an HD PPV channel.

I'm assuming you will be a new sub, and channels WMC, WPTY, and WHBQ are available in HD from D* using the new mpeg-4 codec. The other local HD channels you will have to get with an antenna.

D* has announced an expansion of 100 HD channels by the end of the year, there is a thread in the HDTV Programming forum about it. D* is launching 2 sats later this year in which they will have the capacity to broadcast that many.

Hardware wise, unless you can find one on ebay, you will get an HD-DVR instead of an HDTivo. I don't have one of them so I can't comment. But those are $199 up front to lease the unit, and I don;t know how much the regualr HD stb, H20, would be. They are both mpeg-4 recievers but can still see the mpeg-2 channels.

If you sub you will be locked into a 2 year agreement.

Hope that helps.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4505 of 6091 Old 04-02-2007, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks, Bill

Browse around SatelliteGuys to get some ideas of the DishNetwork reputation. I am personally happy with them, I have a 622 which is an MPEG-2 device, but new subs get the vip622 which is an MPEG-4 device and there is more programming available in MPEG-4. Their website has a lot of info on the HD packages. If you decide you want Dish, PM me and I'll send you a DishClub card that gets you some discounts upon subscription.

Bob near Brighton

There's only one thing as difficult as unscrambling an egg, and that's unspreading a rumor.
post #4506 of 6091 Old 04-02-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I'd try Dish. No committment with MPEG-4 DVR. $50 a month the first 2 months for all their HD channels and top 50 crap. $40/mo for the next 10 months, going rate after. They have the most National HD but no Memphis locals except via antenna. Get the the Dish Club card off dogpoobob for free install. You have to call, can't do thru their website. They have a thread at Fat Wallet dot commie.
post #4507 of 6091 Old 04-02-2007, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm watching the game on WREG tonight and it looks like utter s--t. I was over 30 feet away from my TV and could still see interlacing. Un-freaken-believable.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4508 of 6091 Old 04-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

I'm watching the game on WREG tonight and it looks like utter s--t. I was over 30 feet away from my TV and could still see interlacing. Un-freaken-believable.

Agreed. I switched over for a few minutes after 24. The picture didn't even look like HD...just upscaled SD with a 1.78 aspect. I have very low expectations for The Masters.

A few years back, I did some volunteer work with one of the personalities at WREG. I may see if that person would be willing to help us get to the bottom of these PQ issues.

Chase

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #4509 of 6091 Old 04-03-2007, 01:06 PM

I played back a HD recording last night on an DVHS tape I recorded from D* a couple of years back and it looked fantastic and the sound was also very good. About a year ago I changed to cable(Time Warner) and before switching over I kept the D* and compared different HD channels with the same programming. At that time there was no doubt in my mind the D* was going downhill for HD and I cancelled.

I hated when Comcast bought out TW and one of their first moves is to cancel HDNetMovies & HDNet and give us a couple of crap channels. Picture quality is still good on cable most of the time but I expect as time passes they will need more bandwidth and downrez.
post #4510 of 6091 Old 04-03-2007, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I agree about the NCAA Championship game last night. Just awful picture quality. The white balance was horribly off-- Florida's uniforms looked very blue instead of white-- but only in the main shots-- some close-ups showed them to have a distinct red tone. Also, there was a general blurriness that really made it look like SD.
post #4511 of 6091 Old 04-03-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheep View Post

I agree about the NCAA Championship game last night. Just awful picture quality. The white balance was horribly off-- Florida's uniforms looked very blue instead of white-- but only in the main shots-- some close-ups showed them to have a distinct red tone. Also, there was a general blurriness that really made it look like SD.

Yeah I agree with all points.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4512 of 6091 Old 04-05-2007, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Thanks, Bill

Thanks for the Input guys - I still haven't came to a decision. I am wondering about the "HD-Lite" that was mentioned. I do have a few more questions:

Does both E* and D* downrez 1920x1080i to 1280x1080i?

Is there any 720p HD programming on E* or D*?

For my main LCD Projection TV (Sony KDF70XBR950) it probably won't make much difference because the native resolution is keyed to the WXGA panels at 1280x768 and everything is up or down converted to that. However my other HDTV is a 37" plasma and I believe it supports the full 1920x1080i.

For those of you getting the (MPEG4?) HD-Lite can you tell a difference on sets that support the full 1080i or 1080p specification?

By the way, for those of you that have Sony LCD projection TVs; there seems to be a common problem with a component known as the "Optical Block." For an out of warranty repair the estimate was $1,300 - 1,600 to fix! Being somewhat of a do-it-yourselfer I was able to obtain a service manual ($25) from manualsparadise.com, and the new Optical block component ($552 after returning core and shipping charges) from andrewselectronics.com and fix it myself. The rant comes in becauses there is a KNOWN PROBLEM with the optical block assembly that exhibits slightly different symptoms than I was experiencing. Sony is, after numerous complaints, warrantying repairs to the optical block for users experiencing a very limited type of symptom while denying the warranty service to others with the same underlying cause. If any of you have the optical block problem I would encourage you to complain loudly to Sony!
post #4513 of 6091 Old 04-05-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the Input guys - I still haven't came to a decision. I am wondering about the "HD-Lite" that was mentioned. I do have a few more questions:

Does both E* and D* downrez 1920x1080i to 1280x1080i?

Is there any 720p HD programming on E* or D*?

For my main LCD Projection TV (Sony KDF70XBR950) it probably won't make much difference because the native resolution is keyed to the WXGA panels at 1280x768 and everything is up or down converted to that. However my other HDTV is a 37" plasma and I believe it supports the full 1920x1080i.

For those of you getting the (MPEG4?) HD-Lite can you tell a difference on sets that support the full 1080i or 1080p specification?

1) D* does 1280x1080. E* just recently starting downrezzing to 1440x1080
2) Both has ESPNHD and ESPN2HD. All other's, other than FSN on D* are 1080i. Not sure about E*
3) So far only the local's are available in mepg-4 from D*. Nationals are hoped to be up shortly after the sat is launched. Some people in other cities say they can tell very little difference in PQ from OTA and D*, while other's say it's a big difference. There is a thread that said they are downrezzing HD-LIL's (local-into-local) to 1280x1080. Whether this stays this ways no one knows.
E* does do national mpeg-4 and is downrezzing those to the numbers above. Someone who has E* will have to comment on the PQ since I don't have them.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4514 of 6091 Old 04-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Thursday April 5 and Friday April 6:

The Masters Golf Tournament will air on WREG's HD channel only (3.1 or 803 on Comcast cable) on Thursday April 5th and Friday April 6th from 3pm til conclusion around 6pm.

It's 3:45 PM and no Masters on 3-1. What was your source for this information? WREG claims to know nothing about it...

Chase

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #4515 of 6091 Old 04-05-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post

It's 3:45 PM and no Masters on 3-1. What was your source for this information? WREG claims to know nothing about it...

Chase

I got it from their RSS feed. I emptied the recycle bin yesterday so I don't have it anymore.

That's BS, they know about it. They've been doing it the past 2 or 3 years. Who did you speak with? Call Ron Walter at 543-2103 and have his secretary (I'm sure he wont answer) ask him to check into it.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4516 of 6091 Old 04-06-2007, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I got it from their RSS feed. I emptied the recycle bin yesterday so I don't have it anymore.

That's BS, they know about it. They've been doing it the past 2 or 3 years. Who did you speak with? Call Ron Walter at 543-2103 and have his secretary (I'm sure he wont answer) ask him to check into it.

The master is also on UHD channel 74 on D*.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=830418

Of course WREG gets it wrong... then again what do you expect!

Jerry
post #4517 of 6091 Old 04-06-2007, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawilljr View Post

Of course WREG gets it wrong... then again what do you expect!

AMEN.

I hope to be off work in time to watch some of it today. For those that will be home when it's time for it to be on, 3 pm, use the numbers below to call to have them flip it on if it isn't. Ask for master control or engineering.

Main Phone Number
901-543-2333
News Tip Line
901-543-2111

Also this is a link to the post with station contact names and numbers on them. https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8475053

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4518 of 6091 Old 04-09-2007, 06:02 AM
Aro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've been watching National Geographic HD on Comcast... wow. The picture quality gives WREG a run for the bottom of the barrel. Even without any motion on the screen you can see terrible macroblocking. It's my understanding that Comcast is supposed to pass bit rates straight through from the provider. Is NatGeoHD really putting out that bad of a picture?
post #4519 of 6091 Old 04-09-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro View Post

I've been watching National Geographic HD on Comcast... wow. The picture quality gives WREG a run for the bottom of the barrel. Even without any motion on the screen you can see terrible macroblocking. It's my understanding that Comcast is supposed to pass bit rates straight through from the provider. Is NatGeoHD really putting out that bad of a picture?

Haha. D* is showing "sneak peaks" at like 2 am but I don't care to tivo it and watch it. Plus D* wouldn't be that good of a reference point. I figured Comcast would be a better reference. Guess not.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4520 of 6091 Old 04-09-2007, 08:51 PM

I know this is a HDTV forum but I have a question about DTV and The MLB E.I. package. If anyone has this and could check and comment I would appriciate it. Up until last year the Cin Reds were a home team for The Memphis market. Last year even though MLB.TV and Time Warner cable kept the Reds as a Home team DTV removed Memphis as a home team for the Reds. They even sent me a post card letting me know. I had always just paid the 12.00 per month for the sports pack and was able to get the Reds games on 638 FSN Cinn. Last year I had to buy the E.I. package to get the Reds games since they were now an out of market team. That leads me to my question. This year now it seems the Reds games are again blacked out except when they play on 638. The game Thursday on the Cubs network was blacked out but should not have been. I told DTV to not renew the E.I. package until I knew for sure the Reds games would be shown.
So tonight after the free preview has ended I do indeed get the Reds on 638. The DTV web sight however still shows the Reds as an out of market team. Sorry to be so long winded here but I was hoping to find out if I had to get it again this year while they still offered the early bird price
Thx for listening
post #4521 of 6091 Old 04-10-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wish I had some definate answers for you.

I don't have EI but I do remember getting some Reds games with the Sports Pak. I'd watch them mainly when they played the Cubs. I remember the Reds changed from FSN Ohio to FSN Cincy or vise versa a couple of seasons ago. I went to the FSN Ohio website http://msn.foxsports.com/regional/ohio and it looks like Ohio is the home of the Reds. And the Reds team site only shows FSN for their games so that's no help.

I'm guessing they are switching back and forth? Your best bet would be to post in the local Cincy thread to see if they might know.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4522 of 6091 Old 04-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Regarding the reds or for me the cardinals with my zip code. From what I can tell if the team is in your region and on a local fsn channel, if the reds were say on fsn local channel and espn then the espn telecast would be blacked out but you could watch it on the local fsn in your region. Last year with the Cardinals fsn midwest was the main channel which was a part of my region but only if I subscribed to the sports pack other wise I only got fsn south. Everytime the cards played on espn or any other channel if the game was simulcast on fsn midwest it would be blacked out on every other channel. When we had the mld ei free preview this weekend, I could not watch the cardinals game because I was not a sports pack subscriber which was simulcasting the games on fsn midwest. I don't think having the ie package will help you receive all the reds games unless you have the sports pack.
post #4523 of 6091 Old 04-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro View Post

Well. I can tell you it looks prettY good in HD on Cox cable in New orleans!

Don H.
post #4524 of 6091 Old 04-10-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post

Well. I can tell you it looks prettY good in HD on Cox cable in New orleans!

Don H.

It's more than likely Comcast... Let's face it, Memphis isn't the place for good HD.
post #4525 of 6091 Old 04-15-2007, 11:08 AM

I'm trying to watch the NASCAR race on Fox 13 through D*, and am getting a lot of pixelation. Do Comcast subscribers experience this? I can't watch OTA because the way my antenna is aimed to pick up WREG.
post #4526 of 6091 Old 04-15-2007, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikemac View Post

I'm trying to watch the NASCAR race on Fox 13 through D*, and am getting a lot of pixelation. Do Comcast subscribers experience this? I can't watch OTA because the way my antenna is aimed to pick up WREG.

I'm trying to watch NASCAR also via OTA... I am losing it's signal a lot which is causing a lot of pixelation. I rarely have any troubles with WHBQ. Maybe it is a WHBQ problem.

Jerry
post #4527 of 6091 Old 04-15-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I stopped watching about an hour ago but I wasn't having any issues at all with the signal.

PQ on WHBQ and WPTY looked great. NHL on NBC looked like crap. PGA looked pretty bad also.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4528 of 6091 Old 04-15-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikemac View Post

I have Comcast and didn't have any pixelation during the race.

To me Fox 13 has always seemed to have the better PQ than the other local stations on Comcast.

Mark
post #4529 of 6091 Old 04-15-2007, 05:20 PM

I changed over to the NY Fox feed and it was fine. No pixelation. Ch 13 was awful I don't know what was going on and who to complain to. It seems as though it may be a D* problem
post #4530 of 6091 Old 04-16-2007, 12:18 PM

I just called Comcast to put in my vote for them to add HDNet & HDNet Movies back to the lineup. I was informed that HD Net doesn't no longer exist. I had to tell her that HD Net is still around and wanted them added back since I had them when we were Time Warner. She said she'll have her supervisor call me. I asked her do they have a suggestion line or someone that I could talk to about adding HD Net back. She said they don't have such a thing. I would just have to talk to her supervisor.

Hopefully he'll know who I can call to put in my 2 cents worth.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
memphis , wmc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page