Memphis, TN - HDTV - Page 152 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4531 of 6092 Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDu View Post

I just called Comcast to put in my vote for them to add HDNet & HDNet Movies back to the lineup. I was informed that HD Net doesn't no longer exist.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 6092 Old 04-21-2007, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is anyone else having problems with their D* signal? Mine started happening last night and is sitll acting up today. It's sporadic and happening to all my recievers. I'm still getting a high signal strength when I test the signals on my H10. It's happening again right now. And of course there isn't a cloud in the sky.

I can't miss the ManU game!!!! I found it on p2p but it's in Chinese and can't quite understand that.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4533 of 6092 Old 04-23-2007, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDu View Post

I just called Comcast to put in my vote for them to add HDNet & HDNet Movies back to the lineup. I was informed that HD Net doesn't no longer exist. I had to tell her that HD Net is still around and wanted them added back since I had them when we were Time Warner. She said she'll have her supervisor call me. I asked her do they have a suggestion line or someone that I could talk to about adding HD Net back. She said they don't have such a thing. I would just have to talk to her supervisor.

Hopefully he'll know who I can call to put in my 2 cents worth.

See my previous posts on this topic (#4483 and especially #4486) in this thread. It's not a local issue. It's a disagreement about the cost of HDNet for Comcast. Comcast is unwilling to pay what they're asking, whereas other cable companies, such as Time Warner, apparently have no problems with their pricing structure. It's been an ongoing issue for several years now with no resolution in sight. My advice would be to email Comcast's president and vice-president and register your concerns. Don't hold your breath waiting for a quick fix.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4534 of 6092 Old 04-25-2007, 09:35 AM

I've been lurking in the thread for a few months and this is my first post. Thanks for the previous advice. Much appreciated.

I was wondering if Comcast Digital is broadcasting WMC (CBS) and WHBQ (Fox) in HD by unencrypted QAM. If so, can anyone provide the physical channel and subchannel.

I would like to get this going at home and also post the complete list to the unencrypted QAM wiki. I can't provide the URL until I make 5 posts but I can provide this later if people need it.

Here is my work-in-progress list. If anyone has any more channels or sees any false info, could you please let me know. Thanks!

Logical Cable Channel, Physical Channel-Subchannel, Station
--- ----- --------------
824 74-1 AETVHD (A&E HD)
825 74-9 NGCHD (National Geographic HD)

803 84-2 WREGDT CBS HD
810 84-3 WKNODT PBS HD
xxx 84-4 WKNODT2 PBS
xxx 84-5 WREGDT2 CBS news SD

807 85-4 WPTYDT ABC HD
809 85-8 WLMTDT CW HD

003 86-100 WREG CBS SD
005 86-101 WMC NBC SD
013 86-102 WHBQ Fox SD
007 86-103 WPTY ABC SD
009 86-104 WLMT CW SD

003 89-2 WREG CBS SD

016 93-2 C-SPAN2

Are the following available on unencrypted QAM?
Which Physical Channel-Subchannel?

805 xx-x WMCDT NBC HD
813 xx-x WHBQDT Fox HD
830 xx-x WHBQDT Fox HD
post #4535 of 6092 Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 AM

Did anyone else notice that WREG cut into CSI:Miami Monday night before the episode was over to plug their upcoming new cast?
post #4536 of 6092 Old 04-26-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger bob View Post

Did anyone else notice that WREG cut into CSI:Miami Monday night before the episode was over to plug their upcoming new cast?

Yeah I saw that tonight. But at the end of CSI: NY they waited until the last commercial break to give the teaser.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4537 of 6092 Old 04-27-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is WPTY always having audio problems now? Lost last week and Grey's Anatomy is having all these sparkling sounds during it. Anyone else?

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4538 of 6092 Old 04-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Aro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Is WPTY always having audio problems now? Lost last week and Grey's Anatomy is having all these sparkling sounds during it. Anyone else?

Lost is the only show I watch on WPTY, but the only sound issues I remember were a couple weeks ago, and it was an issue with the national feed...
post #4539 of 6092 Old 04-28-2007, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro View Post

Lost is the only show I watch on WPTY, but the only sound issues I remember were a couple weeks ago, and it was an issue with the national feed...

Yeah I used to be a part of that tremendous thread until I had a son and ran out of time to get caught up in it. I haven't watched this weeks LOST but did anyone notice any audio issues?

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4540 of 6092 Old 04-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Aro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Yeah I used to be a part of that tremendous thread until I had a son and ran out of time to get caught up in it. I haven't watched this weeks LOST but did anyone notice any audio issues?

Congrats.

No, I don't remember any audio issues with the last Lost. I didn't really have it cranked or anything, but nothing stood out.
post #4541 of 6092 Old 04-29-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro View Post

Congrats.

No, I don't remember any audio issues with the last Lost. I didn't really have it cranked or anything, but nothing stood out.

Thanks.

I didn't notice any audio issues when I watched it last night. Good thing because my wife was asleep on the couch and it probably would've woken her up.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4542 of 6092 Old 05-01-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCharlie View Post

I've been lurking in the thread for a few months and this is my first post. Thanks for the previous advice. Much appreciated.

I was wondering if Comcast Digital is broadcasting WMC (CBS) and WHBQ (Fox) in HD by unencrypted QAM. If so, can anyone provide the physical channel and subchannel.

I would like to get this going at home and also post the complete list to the unencrypted QAM wiki. I can't provide the URL until I make 5 posts but I can provide this later if people need it.

Here is my work-in-progress list. If anyone has any more channels or sees any false info, could you please let me know. Thanks!

Logical Cable Channel, Physical Channel-Subchannel, Station
--- ----- --------------
824 74-1 AETVHD (A&E HD)
825 74-9 NGCHD (National Geographic HD)

803 84-2 WREGDT CBS HD
810 84-3 WKNODT PBS HD
xxx 84-4 WKNODT2 PBS
xxx 84-5 WREGDT2 CBS news SD

807 85-4 WPTYDT ABC HD
809 85-8 WLMTDT CW HD

003 86-100 WREG CBS SD
005 86-101 WMC NBC SD
013 86-102 WHBQ Fox SD
007 86-103 WPTY ABC SD
009 86-104 WLMT CW SD

003 89-2 WREG CBS SD

016 93-2 C-SPAN2

Are the following available on unencrypted QAM?
Which Physical Channel-Subchannel?

805 xx-x WMCDT NBC HD
813 xx-x WHBQDT Fox HD
830 xx-x WHBQDT Fox HD

I don't know what QAM is, but here are my stations that I can remember:
ABC = 24.1
CWS = 30.1
Fox = 80.1
NBC = 80.2
My Natl Geographic is slightly different, 74.2 I think
All this is from memory (I'm not at home).

Are looking at the same page here?
post #4543 of 6092 Old 05-01-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1smith View Post

ABC = 24.1
CWS = 30.1
Fox = 80.1
NBC = 80.2

Thanks for the info on the Fox and NBC HD channels. I'll see if I've got them on those stations when I get home. If you find your physical channels don't match mine at all, please let me know and I won't post the lineup on some wiki that I found on the web--no sense in providing irrelevant info.

I don't know much about this but I think QAM is some form of modulation that the cable companies do to their digital TV signals. So, one needs a QAM-compatibile tuner to decode (watch/hear) the signal. Then, of course, the digital broadcast over the cable can either be unencrypted or encrypted. If it's encrypted, then one needs one of their cable boxes to see/hear the channel. If it's unecrypted, one shouldn't need a box from the cable company.

I'm a little concerned if your Natl Geographic is on a different channel than mine--maybe not everyone will have the same channel lineup. That'll make it hard to post this info and help each other figure it out.

As far as being on the same page goes, my setup may be different that what most people on the forum have. I don't have a digital tuner in my TV, I just have an HD-ready TV. I have a homemade computer I built and I'm using SageTV software to record/watch TV. So, my setup with an HD-ready TV and a computer might be quite a bit different than those whom have HD-tuners in their TV's (pretty much any TV for sale these days). Also, to get the digital cable that's unencrypted, I'm using a little box called a HDHomerun from Silicon Dust. It's a box that has two ports to connect to cable and one RJ-45 port to hook up to a switch/router on one's home network. This HDHomerun tuner can be used for either over-the-air digital TV when you connect to an antenna or the unencrypted QAM digital TV through cable. I'm trying to get it working well with cable TV, but if I don't get enough channels I'll probably just switch those two tuners in the HDHomerun to over-the-air.

By the way, I live in the north part of Barlett and I'm able to get over-the-air reception quite good these days with a Terk TV5 antenna (it's multidirectional). It worked fairly well atop my TV on the ground floor, but I recently wired my whole house for Cat6 cable and RG-6 cable and now have the antenna in the 2nd story attic and the digital TV works really well now--not too many dropouts. I've got the over-the-air going into the computer into a PCI card from ATI that receives digital TV. I got the HDHomerun to add more tuners so I could record 3 HD shows at once...then I saw that I might be able to get digital cable on it...so now I'm fiddling with that...
post #4544 of 6092 Old 05-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I don't know what QAM is.

Quadrature Amplitude Modulation. It's just the modulation format used for digital cable in the USA.
post #4545 of 6092 Old 05-02-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Did they change anything on channel 5-1 recently.
On Monday I tried to watch Heroes with my Samsung Sir-T165.
It kept rebooting on that channel only.
Other channels like 3-1, 24-1 and even 5-2 did not present this problem.
post #4546 of 6092 Old 05-02-2007, 12:52 PM

Does anyone have any information on AT&T launching U-Verse in Memphis? I've been seeing ads on TV for and against them coming here, and some billboards around town, but I can't find any solid info.

The anti-AT&T ads are kind of laughable, actually. They are talking about how AT&T will raise rates, when they haven't even set a BASE PRICE in our market (because they aren't IN our market yet). It's so funny to hear them talk about price hikes. We have COMCAST for cryin' out loud, competition couldn't make it any worse!
post #4547 of 6092 Old 05-02-2007, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

I didn't have any issues with my HDTivo.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4548 of 6092 Old 05-02-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks mx
I found out with my tuner if there's even a hint of the broadcast flag,
the unit goes into reboot mode. Time for a firmware change.
post #4549 of 6092 Old 05-03-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:

ABC = 24.1
CWS = 30.1
Fox = 80.1
NBC = 80.2

Here are my QAM stations:
ABC - 24.1
CW - 30.1
A&E HD - 74.1
NG HD - 74.9
Fox - 80.2
NBC - 80.3
CBS - 84.2
WKNO - 84.3
WKNO2 - 84.4
ESPN Full Court (ppv college b-ball) - 109.4-13though obviously season is over.
NBA League Pass - 113.3-19same as above; season is over.

And of course all the SD locals + the stupid music channels, all 50+ of them.

Any idea how I am getting select ppv/subscription channels?
post #4550 of 6092 Old 05-03-2007, 03:48 PM

new to board, just moved to Hernando MS. got channel master antenna from crutchfield to get OTA hd channels....am getting CBS, ABC, FOX, all clear....not getting NBC though....any thoughts?

thanks
post #4551 of 6092 Old 05-03-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asowell View Post

new to board, just moved to Hernando MS. got channel master antenna from crutchfield to get OTA hd channels....am getting CBS, ABC, FOX, all clear....not getting NBC though....any thoughts?

thanks

I find antennaweb "dot" org very helpful for identifying OTA distances, angles, etc. Plugging in a generic Hernando MS zip code into that site, it doesn't list the WMC DT station--very odd. I think the channel 5 station in the Memphis area is in the same location of that for ABC and CW. I live about 3-5 miles from the Memphis towers (half to the south of me and the other half to the east). Maybe someone from near Hernando can help you out more.
post #4552 of 6092 Old 05-03-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

My SageTV computer crashed during last nights broadcast of that new improv comedy show. It didn't crash later when I replayed Monday night's 24 episode. I don't know if it's a problem with my system or if something in the NBC broadcast crashed the program.
post #4553 of 6092 Old 05-03-2007, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was getting 5-1 last night, but the other night with Heroes, was the first time I had a problem with this box.
post #4554 of 6092 Old 05-04-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:

thanks

Welcome!

I live in Hernando as well, and I've been using a simple bowtie loop antenna (the kind that used to come with TV sets) hanging on the blinds in a North-facing window on the second floor of my house. I use a VBox USB DTV receiver box to feed my computer, and can receive all of the Memphis channels, an Oxford channel and the new Fox affiliate in Jackson, TN (not that I would watch that one, just for comparison purposes!).

Your antenna should be plenty for where you live. You may have to experiment with the aiming to avoid reflections from things around your house, and many times the strongest signal is not the best quality one. It is a trial and error kind of thing, but you definitely have enough antenna. Of course, you could just be a victim of bad timing and the station could be having a problem that kills their signal just when you're trying to find them. That can waste a lot of time. Usually, if a station is having a problem, there will be reports of it here. Keep at it, and it should work.

Good Luck!

DTV Dave
post #4555 of 6092 Old 05-04-2007, 02:41 PM

thanks dave,...

btw, i orignially started with a terk indoor antenna (also from crutchfield) same problem, no NBC...took it to a friend of mine's house and he gets NBC w/ same antenna. may be a location problem (many trees around my house)
what is your opinion on the signal boosters for antennas? could this help?
post #4556 of 6092 Old 05-07-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:

thanks dave,...

btw, i orignially started with a terk indoor antenna (also from crutchfield) same problem, no NBC...took it to a friend of mine's house and he gets NBC w/ same antenna. may be a location problem (many trees around my house)
what is your opinion on the signal boosters for antennas? could this help?

I would avoid amplifiers in favor of experimenting with the antenna placement and aiming. Amplifiers are useful if you are at the extreme edge of the station's coverage area, but closer in you run the risk of having one or more of the signals getting so high that the receiver is overloaded. This results in problems in all of the stations since the receiver loses the ability to distinguish between the real signal and the false ones caused by the overload. It probably won't damage the receiver, so if you have an amplifier you could try it, but it probably won't help much, either. I would try it as a last resort.

DTV Dave
post #4557 of 6092 Old 05-07-2007, 12:13 PM

Without going through all 150 pages- has WREG been contacted top see why they won't broadcast CBS in HD via D*? CW?
post #4558 of 6092 Old 05-07-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1817 View Post

Without going through all 150 pages- has WREG been contacted top see why they won't broadcast CBS in HD via D*? CW?

A few people here have asked and the answer that I got back, including some other and friends of mine was they were in negotiations and hope to have it on D* soon. Of course that was coming up on the Super Bowl.

WREG was (currently is) owned by the NY Times. They are in the process of being sold to another group along with I think 8 other stations. The sale should complete sometime this summer. I would expect after then is the best chance to see WREG and those other stations start showing up on D*.

As far as the CW, D* said once their other 2 sats go up that they will eventually carry the other non-big 4 stations. So that would leave My Network (WPXX), CW (WLMT), and PBS (WKNO). I don't know what they are going to do about WKNO though, since their HD channel is not a simulcast of their regular programming.

Don't get rid of your antenna yet.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4559 of 6092 Old 05-09-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwearyeyes View Post

Here are my QAM stations:
ABC - 24.1
CW - 30.1
A&E HD - 74.1
NG HD - 74.9
Fox - 80.2
NBC - 80.3
CBS - 84.2
WKNO - 84.3
WKNO2 - 84.4
ESPN Full Court (ppv college b-ball) - 109.4-13though obviously season is over.
NBA League Pass - 113.3-19same as above; season is over.

And of course all the SD locals + the stupid music channels, all 50+ of them.

Any idea how I am getting select ppv/subscription channels?

My in-the-clear QAM channels match the above with the addition of these that were there when I rescanned this past weekend...

30.2 WLMT-DT (VTV)
93.2 C-SPAN2
102.11 Comcast Announcements
104.9 OnDemand Previews
115.2 ClubJenna (This is an "adult movie channel." I'm sure the FCC would not be happy to know it is being transmitted in-the-clear.)
post #4560 of 6092 Old 05-09-2007, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbeaux View Post

115.2 ClubJenna (This is an "adult movie channel." I'm sure the FCC would not be happy to know it is being transmitted in-the-clear.)

Whoa, I gotta get QAM!

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
memphis , wmc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page