Memphis, TN - HDTV - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4561 of 6092 Old 05-10-2007, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 86
So QAM is Quality Adult Movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 6092 Old 05-11-2007, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I bought a QAM equiped TV today and set it up and I am unable to access any of the HD channels. I have the most basic analog comcast package. I have TiVo and have tried running the cable through the Tivo and just straight to the TV. The tv is a Vizio VW37L with integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM HDTV Tuner so I can't go and specifically select the QAM tuner. I have tried entering the channels as both the logical cable channel (803) and channel-subchannel (84-2). Any suggestions as the how the access the HD channels?
post #4563 of 6092 Old 05-11-2007, 04:28 PM

Nevermind... I played around somemore with the settings and it finally found the HD channels when I did another search. I actually get several of the channels twice and even WREG-DT on three different channels. New issue though.... Are any of you that get your HD through QAM also using Tivo?? The reason I ask is because I can't figure out how to get my TiVo (Series 2) to recognize the HD channels. I have tried setting the Tivo back up and re-doing the channel scan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4564 of 6092 Old 05-11-2007, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Series 2 doesn't support HD (NTSC only, no ATSC). You need a Series 3.
post #4565 of 6092 Old 05-11-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggo View Post

Series 2 doesn't support HD (NTSC only, no ATSC). You need a Series 3.

That's kinda what I figured. Would this work... Split my cable and have one going into Tivo, and one going into TV. Connect TiVo to TV through AV1 or another means. This way I wouldnt have to keep switching the cables between the TV and the TiVo to go back and forth between HD channels and letting TiVo have cable so it can record. That way I would be able to switch b/w HD and Tivo by simply changing imputs. Hope this makes since. Right now none of the HD channels show up when I change off of ch. 4 (where TiVo is) when cable goes through TiVo to TV.
post #4566 of 6092 Old 05-13-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbeaux View Post

My in-the-clear QAM channels match the above with the addition of these that were there when I rescanned this past weekend...

30.2 WLMT-DT (VTV)
93.2 C-SPAN2
102.11 Comcast Announcements
104.9 OnDemand Previews
115.2 ClubJenna (This is an "adult movie channel." I'm sure the FCC would not be happy to know it is being transmitted in-the-clear.)

I still can't figure out how to get NBC and Fox in HD through QAM. Glad to trade it for ClubJenna in SD, though!

I wonder what my wife and daughter will think if I spend Mother's Day watching 115.2?

I wonder how long until that channel gets encrypted? I'm also wondering if it's permanently in-the-clear or if someone in my neighborhood is just paying for it this weekend. Do you know if that's a channel that people pay per view or pay per day? Or is it a monthly subscription channel? Maybe I'll just have to tune in a little every day to see if it's permanently in-the-clear. Just for research purposes, of course.
post #4567 of 6092 Old 05-13-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCharlie View Post

I still can't figure out how to get NBC and Fox in HD through QAM. Glad to trade it for ClubJenna in SD, though!

I wonder what my wife and daughter will think if I spend Mother's Day watching 115.2?

I wonder how long until that channel gets encrypted? I'm also wondering if it's permanently in-the-clear or if someone in my neighborhood is just paying for it this weekend. Do you know if that's a channel that people pay per view or pay per day? Or is it a monthly subscription channel? Maybe I'll just have to tune in a little every day to see if it's permanently in-the-clear. Just for research purposes, of course.

I also could not pull in these stations through QAM. I went to buy an up-converting DVD player yesterday and ended up also buying a cheap antenna and now I get all locals in HD. All of them were very clear without interuption. It was also nice to the the programming information with them. This info wasn't showing up when I was using QAM. I think everyone with Comcast can get Jenna. I live downtown and was getting that channel.
post #4568 of 6092 Old 05-16-2007, 05:29 PM

what is QAM??
post #4569 of 6092 Old 05-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by asowell View Post

what is QAM??

You will find the answer several times in the last 25 posts.
post #4570 of 6092 Old 05-21-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just recieved an HR20 to replace my HDTivo and it won't pick up the subchannel 30-2. Ehh, no big loss.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4571 of 6092 Old 05-21-2007, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What prompted that? I've been hanging onto my beloved HDTivo as long as possible. It crapped out on me in April, and DTV sent me another one to replace it (NOT an HR20, which surprised me).

Anyhoo, how you like it? PQ any better? OTA better in general?
post #4572 of 6092 Old 05-21-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I use component and the red would every now and then go out. I could either let it turn itself back on or turn off/on the HDTivo and it would fix. I have an H20 in the room (replaced an E86) also. I would swap cables, change inputs in the main A/V receiver and the color issue would follow the HDTivo. I called a few months ago about it and told the person on the phone what was happening and she offered to send a replacement then. I said I have some shows to watch and I'll call back later that I'll deal with it, plus I didn't want to change with sweeps coming up. It started happening more often and I called D* and told them what was going on and the lady said she would replace it with a comparable receiver.

When my other HDTivo was acting up in December I strongly asked for another HDTivo because OTA wasn't available yet on the HR20. I got an HDTivo back then and I didn't press it this time. Especially since it would save me money when I do decide to upgrade. So if you got an HDTivo last month that's incredible.

Now I've got to call D* and tell them to remove the HDTivo from my account (showing on website) and make sure the HR20 is owned by me. I'll be selling the HDTivo soon.

My first impressions, it's pretty cool. It has a lot of features that the HDTivo doesn't have. For example I can view the 5 days forecast of Memphis, can view/hear audio from the mix channels, when in the menu screens you can still hear audio and the top right hand corner of the screen is the video, and is quieter than the HDTivo.

Things I don't like are having to press Guide twice (don't like that on H20 either), figuring out the FF/skip forward options, bright blue LED's on the front, and navigating some of the menus, incorrect recording (meaning not setup to record new episodes only, also called wrong info bug) and the series link functions (hard to maneuver them), and NO DUAL BUFFERS. Going back to the LED's, my 21 month old son a few months ago decided he liked to push the blue light off and on many times. So whenever that would happen we would just swap to the HDTivo since he didn't know what to push. Now he has 2 blue's to push.

I was able to figure most things out using the Tips and Tricks at http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72648 and also the HDTivo to HR20 survival guide at http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=69404.

I've had some experience with the menus and stuff because I do have an H20, plus my parents have a D15, I think that's the SD-DVR name. Overall it's not too bad, but I'm still learning the finer points of it.

The hardest part I had afterwards was setting up my 880 to control the H20 and HR20 independent of each other. But I was finally able to get that done with the help of Logitech Support.

The HD PQ looks brighter, but that's about it. I still can see all the blocking during SD and HD programs from D*, and also from our local OTA channels.

I'm in-between the digital towers so I already get decent OTA reception. The levels on the HR20 are about the same if not a couple of numbers higher than the H20. For WKNO-DT, the H20, and only the H20 of all the boxes in my house, it will drop out every now and then. But on the HR20 I tested it for a while and it didn't drop out at all.

When I ran thru the setup the OTA channels it didn't pull for my zip was 30-2, 40-2, -3, -4. Like I said no biggie, and especially for 40 since I can't pick it up at all with my antenna. I can with the Silver Sensor on my desk connected to my pc. It also picked up 10-1 and 10-3. I guess WKNO is still sending some type of data on 10-3? I don't know, it shouldn't be showing up.

I loved the HDTivo, and just as much the Hughes E86. If Hughes could make an E86/HDTivo/HR20 hybrid, I'd be in heaven.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4573 of 6092 Old 05-21-2007, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Interesting. Losing dual live buffers IS a hard pill to swallow. Otherwise, it sounds decent.

I still have to fuss with my Silver Sensor pretty often-- I can't get all the OTA locals perfectly from one position. Of course, with an HR20, I'd just be able to aim at WREG and leave it-- the rest come in on the sat. Well, except for the CW-- but with Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars gone, who cares?

I lost my HDTivo in April-- classic hard drive failure. They didn't make me return it, though, so I may try to fix it and sell or keep as a backup.
post #4574 of 6092 Old 05-21-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheep View Post

Interesting. Losing dual live buffers IS a hard pill to swallow. Otherwise, it sounds decent.

Yeah, DLB is a bitch to lose. There is a workaround, but it's too much to do.
Quote:

I still have to fuss with my Silver Sensor pretty often-- I can't get all the OTA locals perfectly from one position. Of course, with an HR20, I'd just be able to aim at WREG and leave it-- the rest come in on the sat. Well, except for the CW-- but with Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars gone, who cares?

Even when I do upgrade to mpeg-4 I'm planning to still use OTA for my main viewing. I want to watch the best PQ possible, which here in Memphis isn't saying much. With the CW dropping VM and Reba I agree with you about watching WLMT-DT. Not to mention the quick decline in HD PQ when they started multicasting has really turned me off.

I just can't wait for this time next year, ER and Scrubs will have ended, and I will be down to 1 show from NBC. And WMC will still be multicasting putting out crap giving me a reason to not watch that channel. Even when they have some great Ophelia Ford video playing.

Too bad the CSI's and Heros can't move to FOX or ABC. Yeah I know, wont happen.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4575 of 6092 Old 05-22-2007, 07:20 AM

Any E# subscribers have problems with 24 on Fox last night. It was unwatchable for me. Same dropouts as las December. What has changed?
post #4576 of 6092 Old 05-22-2007, 08:33 PM

While not directly HDTV, my question is related. I'm on Memphis (actually Southaven) Comcast using a SA 2200. Channel 910 used to be 10.1, the national HD feed that I got SD with the SA 2200. Now it is 10.2. I don't remember when it changed. I switched my service to HD and then back to SD and wonder if that did it.

Any ideas on how to get 10.1 back on my SA 2200 box? 1-800-Comcast was no help.
post #4577 of 6092 Old 05-23-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne231 View Post

Any E# subscribers have problems with 24 on Fox last night. It was unwatchable for me. Same dropouts as las December. What has changed?

E* locals are in SD only. I use OTA for my HD locals. The E* DVR will record the OTA programs.
post #4578 of 6092 Old 05-24-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjl21 View Post

That's kinda what I figured. Would this work... Split my cable and have one going into Tivo, and one going into TV. Connect TiVo to TV through AV1 or another means. This way I wouldnt have to keep switching the cables between the TV and the TiVo to go back and forth between HD channels and letting TiVo have cable so it can record. That way I would be able to switch b/w HD and Tivo by simply changing imputs. Hope this makes since. Right now none of the HD channels show up when I change off of ch. 4 (where TiVo is) when cable goes through TiVo to TV.

That's exactly how I'm set up...works fine.
post #4579 of 6092 Old 05-25-2007, 06:36 AM

I have standard digital Comcast service in Memphis. They have been carrying NGC HD for several months on the standard digital tier on 847.

Last night, 847 comes up with the 'not authorized' box. I called Comcast support. It doesn't come up on their in-house TVs. Not sure why. They reset my DVR box. No help. Promised to send a email to the head-end people.

Does anyone know if they have dropped NGC HD, or moved to HD Tier?

Either way, it's not a great loss. It's been HD channel on Comcast that has the absolute worst picture. Screen door effect almost all the time.
post #4580 of 6092 Old 05-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Dave,

Just wanted to say thanks to you and the guys at FOX for broadcasting Tomb Raider at 2.35. I didn't catch much of it, but what I saw looked good.

I haven't been watching broadcast HD much since HD DVD and BD came out, but it's nice to flip on the TV and see an HD movie in the original aspect ratio.

Chase

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #4581 of 6092 Old 05-26-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone know of any reputable shop/person around town that works on A/V recievers? My Yamaha HT-5550 has an issue with the red part of RGB going out. (Turns out my HDTivo was fine after all). I'd rather not have to buy a new A/V reciever right now even tho they now seem to have 3 component inputs, which is what I need.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4582 of 6092 Old 05-31-2007, 11:43 AM

I have (Memphis) Comcast, but not digital. Until recently I could get Nat'l Geographic and A&E in HD, but now I can't, perhpaps they've moved. Can anyone help?
(They used to be79.1 and 79.2 I think it was)
post #4583 of 6092 Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1smith View Post

I have (Memphis) Comcast, but not digital. Until recently I could get Nat'l Geographic and A&E in HD, but now I can't, perhpaps they've moved. Can anyone help?
(They used to be79.1 and 79.2 I think it was)

Recently, I was also able to get Nat'l Geographic and A&E in HD. Also, the Golf Channel and Club Jenna in SD. They don't come in any more--I'm guessing they're encrypted.

A few days ago, I gave up on the QAM and am just picking up the 7 locals over-the-air free digital broadcast TV. At the time I switch, Universal HD was in the clear on QAM.

It seems to me that the QAM channels in Memphis by Comcast keep changing. Like I said, I've given up on that and have just switched all my tuners to the free over-the-air broadcast channels.

If I remember, after I get home I'll post the last channel lineup for Comcast QAM that was working for me a few days ago.
post #4584 of 6092 Old 06-01-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone know what kind of system Comcast is on? Meaning the mhz?

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #4585 of 6092 Old 06-02-2007, 06:51 AM
Aro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I believe they're still 552-750 MHz. I can't recall ever seeing a channel above 750.
post #4586 of 6092 Old 06-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Dave,

You guys haven't changed anything about your DTV transmission in the last two months or so, have you?

The DTV channel has come in rock solid for me ever since you went on the air, but it's started breaking up recently. The signal will sit at 93-100% most of the time, then periodically drop down to zero (sound/picture freeze) for a second before returning to 93-100%.

I have a feeling it's either (A) leaves or (B) a new problem with my DTV tuner, but I thought I would ask before troubleshooting. Unfortunately, the only other DTV tuner I have is in a display that is miles from the nearest antenna drop.

Regards,

Chase

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #4587 of 6092 Old 06-04-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post

Dave,

You guys haven't changed anything about your DTV transmission in the last two months or so, have you?

The DTV channel has come in rock solid for me ever since you went on the air, but it's started breaking up recently. The signal will sit at 93-100% most of the time, then periodically drop down to zero (sound/picture freeze) for a second before returning to 93-100%.

I have a feeling it's either (A) leaves or (B) a new problem with my DTV tuner, but I thought I would ask before troubleshooting. Unfortunately, the only other DTV tuner I have is in a display that is miles from the nearest antenna drop.

Regards,

Chase

Nothing has changed that I can recall, but we did have some problem with one of the amplifier cabinets on Friday and into Saturday. I'll find out what that was when I talk to the transmitter guy in the next hour or so. Also, we usually change exciters on Friday as part of our weekly inspection, and that will cause a couple of disruptions while switching. That is only during normal business hours unless something bad is happening with the transmitter.

I'll check with everyone else here to see if there have been any changes lately that I can't recall. There have been some Fox stations with an issue with DirecTV that has something to do with the "PCR Jitter" from the splicer, but I haven't seen any problem with ours. I'll take another look and let you know.

Thanks,

DTV Dave
post #4588 of 6092 Old 06-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV Dave View Post

Nothing has changed that I can recall, but we did have some problem with one of the amplifier cabinets on Friday and into Saturday. I'll find out what that was when I talk to the transmitter guy in the next hour or so. Also, we usually change exciters on Friday as part of our weekly inspection, and that will cause a couple of disruptions while switching. That is only during normal business hours unless something bad is happening with the transmitter.

I'll check with everyone else here to see if there have been any changes lately that I can't recall. There have been some Fox stations with an issue with DirecTV that has something to do with the "PCR Jitter" from the splicer, but I haven't seen any problem with ours. I'll take another look and let you know.

Thanks, Dave.

I hauled out of bunch of coax last night and tried the Sony KDL-46XBR2 LCD panel. Its tuner is newer and has a lot more stream information than the DirecTV H10 I normally use. The signal was doing the same thing with the Sony's tuner. Some of the time, the signal is fine. It stays locked at 98% with no increases or decreases at all. S/N is 31dB with no errors. At other times, it will remain at 98% most of the time (for a couple of minutes straight), then randomly lose lock and drop down to 0% (huge error count) for a few seconds before returning to 98%.

I'm certainly no RF engineer. Does anyone have any thoughts on why this would have started happening only in the last two months? The signal has been rock solid ever since WHBQ-DT went on the air.

Chase

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

post #4589 of 6092 Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 AM

I've had D* here in Memphis for the last two or three years (Hd since January), and may be swapping to Comcast in the fall because it will be built into the place I'm paying Rent.

Are the Comcast lineups in HD national or regional? Anyone have any experience locally with Comcast's Hd service? What type of HD DVR do they use? Didn't they just resign a deal with Tivo? Any comments on Comcast since they merger CS wise?
post #4590 of 6092 Old 06-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Aro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1817 View Post

Are the Comcast lineups in HD national or regional?

Regional. They carry all the locals.

Quote:
Anyone have any experience locally with Comcast's Hd service? What type of HD DVR do they use?

I've had their HD service for over a year now. They typically put out the SA 8300HD DVR. The menu is pretty basic. Features are enough to get by with, but if you're used to Tivo, it'll feel like you've gone back to the stone age.

Quote:
Didn't they just resign a deal with Tivo?

Comcast equipment varies by region. We may or may not get the Tivo units here someday. It's hard to say.

Quote:
Any comments on Comcast since they merger CS wise?

Their customer service has definitely gone downhill since the Comcast takeover. As bad as TW could be, Comcast is worse. I would suggest calling the local number for service, as opposed to the toll-free. Supposedly before 5:00 PM, calls to the local number are handled by the Memphis call center. After that, it gets routed to corporate, and the quality gets much worse. I've found that if you can get a local person, they're usually a lot more helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
memphis , wmc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page