Portland, OR - HDTV - Page 296 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #8851 of 8906 Old 09-03-2018, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You might want to make sure your coax runs and connections are good as I had low signal issues with Comcast at my old house and most of the coax was low quality stuff from before anyone was doing digital HD. I ran some high quality quad sheilded cable myself and my signal quality improved significantly. New house everything was good or updated when I moved in but I do know quality high ghz rated cable can make a huge difference on marginal signal quality. There are also bidirectional signal boosters like Motorola makes that can help too if you want to tinker yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8852 of 8906 Old 09-04-2018, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Appreciate your reply. However, don't you think that if my problem was due to suspect cabling I would experience my issue on more than one channel? Only 731 - AMC - has these artifacts consistently. It seems to me to be eminating from the source which is why I was hoping to hear from other Frontier subs in my area. But thanks anyway.
post #8853 of 8906 Old 09-07-2018, 03:22 PM

Liked: 13
KJYY-LD (Rf 26 virtual ch. 26) is transmitting a truly odd DTV signal. On my spectrum analyzer, the signal has the same RF power as before. My DTV receiver with the manual channel scan mode* says there 's a good signal present on that channel and ID's the signal as being from KJYY; yet the picture is black with no sound.

KOXO-DC (RF 15, virtual ch. 41-1) is off the air today. I noted that it was gone at noon and it remains off at 3:10PM. It was on when I checked yesterday.

*(An old Artech set top box.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8854 of 8906 Old 09-15-2018, 05:29 PM

KJYY-LD (RF 26 virtual 26-1) is again transmitting a picture on its carrier today for (at least from my knowledge) the first time since Sept 7. There appears to be only one sub-channel. (26-1). Even though the signal power is well above threshold, there are many episodes of interruptions and pauses. The ID my old set gives (probably PSIP) is SBNYLD1. Programing is religious.
post #8855 of 8906 Old 09-16-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone watch/record Chiefs vs Steelers game OTA today?

I'm on Comcast, and I'll post a link back here on that subforum.

Right now KOIN is 720p on Comcast, while KGW is still 1080i. Has KOIN switched 1080i->720p OTA or is this Comcast's doing?

The reason I ask is that today's game on Comcast was absolutely abysmal in terms of picture quality. I record with a padding, so I recorded 8.81 GB in 4:55. That's only about 1.79 GB per hour. I think that's way too low for MPEG-2, so I assume this is MPEG-4 from Comcast?

Is KOIN OTA still MPEG-2? I haven't been tracking this stuff; sorry if this question sounds very ignorant. I assume ATSC 3 is no longer MPEG-2? But that's still not implemented by KOIN, right? That wouldn't be backward compatible would it?

If anyone recorded the game, at about 2:02 into it, 11:35 remaining in 3rd quarter, there is massive macroblocking. It happened on 2 of my TiVos, which are merely storing bits, so I don't think it's something on my end. Of course it could be coming that way from the network rather than something that Comcast is doing.

This awful macroblocking has occurred throughout the program, I only call out this instance because that's where I am right now in terms of viewing.

Has "high definition" really gotten this bad? This is so very very sad. WTF has happened? No wonder people are fleeing networks and cable and simply streaming OTT.
post #8856 of 8906 Old 09-16-2018, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's an extreme example of the macroblocking I'm talking about. This is HD???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0778.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	919.0 KB
ID:	2456222  
post #8857 of 8906 Old 09-17-2018, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
Here's an extreme example of the macroblocking I'm talking about. This is HD???
I didn't record or sit down to watch the game but had it on in the background. A few times I did notice the blocking you describe. I'm on Frontier FIOS and I ascribed it as coming from the source.
post #8858 of 8906 Old 09-17-2018, 10:08 PM

Busy day; didn't get to check the spectrum until late.

KOXO-CD (Rf 15) has appeared on the air sometime since last I checked yesterday afternoon. This is the first time I have observed it since September 7th.
post #8859 of 8906 Old 09-25-2018, 06:51 PM

KOXO-CD (RF 15) is off the air again this afternoon. That is, it is sharply reduced in power, being 35 dB lower than its normal amplitude.
post #8860 of 8906 Old 10-03-2018, 05:12 PM

KOXO-CD (RF 15) is back up to full power this afternoon.
post #8861 of 8906 Old 10-19-2018, 09:08 PM

KNMT (RF 45, ch. 24) has periodically operated at low power during the day but returned to full power at night over the past couple of weeks. It was at low power today but didn't return to high power this evening. I live close in so my sets didn't notice the difference but I assume there was a complete interruption of service for waatchers some distance away.

KEVE (RF 36, ch. 36) is experiencing carrier trips where the signal randomly fails then returns after a few seconds of dwell time.
post #8862 of 8906 Old 11-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hello Neighbors!

This is a local pitch (Tanasbourne area) for some used equipment not advertised anywhere else at this time.

I recently de-commissioned my Channel Master DVR+. My USB external hard drive failed and I decided to get along with just my TIVO and streaming.

Would like to sell the DVR+ for $150 with the remote, wifi adaptor, 3' USB extension, power supply, and manuals.
PM if interested.

FWIW: I also have an OPPO DV-980H dvd player with original remote. (haven't watched a dvd in 1 1/2 years) Able to send 480i over HDMI, component, s-video and basic yellow cable video. Can up-convert to 1080p over HDMI and component. Audio out with coaxial, optical, RCA L&R, and subwoofer. In great physical and operational condition. PM if interested.

Last, I have a old "pal" in it's original box. It became unreliable on F208 so I replaced it with the DVR+. The "pal" is free to anyone who wishes to tinker with it. PM if interested.

Thanks for reading this post.
Lew

Samsung 75Q7F, ATV4K, Tivo Roamio OTA, RF-20
post #8863 of 8906 Old 11-14-2018, 09:53 PM

Oregon Public Broadcasting's Portland translator that previously operated on RF channel 48 has now moved to RF channel 28.
post #8864 of 8906 Old 12-14-2018, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Is anyone else having problems KOIN 6 or KPDX 49 DTV signal? For the last couple of weeks both have been cutting in and out. I actually installed a new antenna yesterday and replaced the connector on the coax. But it did not help. I live up by Bald Peak Park.
post #8865 of 8906 Old 12-16-2018, 03:53 PM

As part of a propagation study, I have been measuring DTV station signal power at least daily since the early fall. At my home in Aloha, the signal power of KOIN (RF ch. 25) and KPDX (RF ch. 30) have varied only slightly over the last two weeks. In fact, their strength as actually gained a dB or two since the fall. I am guessing that is due to the leaves falling from the trees.
You say you have replaced the antenna and put a new connector on the coax. I assume that connector went on the antenna end of the cable. (Was there any water inside the cable?) I also assume that you installed a new balun on the new antenna (baluns sometimes corrode and fail). Therefore, the only other thing I can suggest is that you "scrub" the connector at the set end of the cable. That is, loosen the connector a turn or so then grab the cable itself, twist it right and left a 1/4 turn or so several times and then retighten the connector. The F-connector system is very inexpensive and makes a good RF connection but it sometimes builds up an oxide that attenuates the signal 3 or 5 dB. Scrubbing the connector breaks through that oxide and lowers the signal loss.
Another cause of signal breaking up is when a storm moves the trees around and makes the DTV signals randomly vary in amplitude and phase. The TV set's equalizer cannot adapt to the signal variation fast enough and pixilation results. Did the episodes of signal loss occur when the wind was recently blowing like mad? I have been in a couple of locations where reception failed when the wind blew.
I'm always interested in reception problems. If you want more info or some cheap (as in free) consultation e-mail me: gumm at easystreet dot net.

Linley
post #8866 of 8906 Old 12-18-2018, 10:04 PM

As of yesterday, KWVT-LD (RF ch. 49, Virtual ch. 3.1, 17.1, 27.1 and 37.1) has apparently shut down its RF channel 49 transmitter. It's due to transfer to RF channel 11 but has not appeared there as of tonight.
post #8867 of 8906 Old 12-21-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin2turbo View Post
Is anyone else having problems KOIN 6 or KPDX 49 DTV signal? For the last couple of weeks both have been cutting in and out.
I started having the same problem at the same time as you. According to the Rabbit Ears site, KOIN is operating at reduced power until it finishes installing its new transmitter and antenna. Not sure what happened a few weeks ago, but KOIN has construction permits allowing them to change antenna height for the current low-power operation.

As far as I can tell, the problem is temporary and should clear up once full power is restored.
post #8868 of 8906 Old 12-21-2018, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I and others I have spoken with have been having problems with koin pretty much all year. It’s rare I have any reception from them at all. Occasionally I get it.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
post #8869 of 8906 Old 12-21-2018, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin2turbo View Post
Is anyone else having problems KOIN 6 or KPDX 49 DTV signal? For the last couple of weeks both have been cutting in and out. I actually installed a new antenna yesterday and replaced the connector on the coax. But it did not help. I live up by Bald Peak Park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I and others I have spoken with have been having problems with koin pretty much all year. It’s rare I have any reception from them at all. Occasionally I get it.
I put a nice channel master 8 bow time CM-4228 antenna on my roof on a mast and everything is super solid all the time. Since I canceled cable, I just put the wire from the antenna into the cable in and use the cable lines as antenna jacks in the house. I'm out in Hillsboro surrounded by trees.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #8870 of 8906 Old 12-21-2018, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I put a nice channel master 8 bow time CM-4228 antenna on my roof on a mast and everything is super solid all the time. Since I canceled cable, I just put the wire from the antenna into the cable in and use the cable lines as antenna jacks in the house. I'm out in Hillsboro surrounded by trees.

I have a massive antenna in my attic. It’s gotta be 12’ long. And an amp and pre amp. Still not good enough for koin. I know others much closer to the towers that lost koin as well but used to have a perfect signal. Koin said rescan and the channel would come back but it didn’t for them.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield, 2x Roku 3's, 1st/2nd gen chromecast, ATV4k, Apple TV 4, xbox 360/one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
post #8871 of 8906 Old 12-22-2018, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinleyG View Post
As part of a propagation study, I have been measuring DTV station signal power at least daily since the early fall. At my home in Aloha, the signal power of KOIN (RF ch. 25) and KPDX (RF ch. 30) have varied only slightly over the last two weeks. In fact, their strength as actually gained a dB or two since the fall. I am guessing that is due to the leaves falling from the trees.
You say you have replaced the antenna and put a new connector on the coax. I assume that connector went on the antenna end of the cable. (Was there any water inside the cable?) I also assume that you installed a new balun on the new antenna (baluns sometimes corrode and fail). Therefore, the only other thing I can suggest is that you "scrub" the connector at the set end of the cable. That is, loosen the connector a turn or so then grab the cable itself, twist it right and left a 1/4 turn or so several times and then retighten the connector. The F-connector system is very inexpensive and makes a good RF connection but it sometimes builds up an oxide that attenuates the signal 3 or 5 dB. Scrubbing the connector breaks through that oxide and lowers the signal loss.
Another cause of signal breaking up is when a storm moves the trees around and makes the DTV signals randomly vary in amplitude and phase. The TV set's equalizer cannot adapt to the signal variation fast enough and pixilation results. Did the episodes of signal loss occur when the wind was recently blowing like mad? I have been in a couple of locations where reception failed when the wind blew.
I'm always interested in reception problems. If you want more info or some cheap (as in free) consultation e-mail me: gumm at easystreet dot net.

Linley
I use to only have problems when the wind blow. But now it is all the time. Channel 8 and 10 are the only channels coming in clear and strong. I do have a few fir trees in the way. At least one in my yard the others are the across the street.
I going to replace the connector again and see if that helps. The was some rust inside the old one. I probably should have cut off a couple more inch before replacing it a week ago. If that doesn’t work I’ll gas up the chainsaw and start cutting down trees. My bees need more sunlight any ways.
post #8872 of 8906 Old 12-25-2018, 10:32 AM

Remote trouble shooting typically does not work. So, this is a very hazardous guess.

I KNOW that the stations have not lost any signal strength since late September. Therefor the problem is most probably at the receiver end. Assume your set hasn't changed (recent nearby lighting strikes?). This leaves antenna and feed line. You said you replaced the antenna. That leaves the balun and the feed line. You said the replaced coax fitting had rust on it. If the balun was not replaced with the antenna, replace it many rot with time and moisture. If water got into the feed line it may well have traveled quite some distance. I suggest you replace it also.

(If the coax is in a difficult place, use the old coax to pull the new in. Securely wire the center conductors together then tape over the joint so the cable edges don't catch on anything. Then pull the old cable out and the new cable in.)

You are at enough distance (to avoid overload) that you could also overcome any extra feedline loss by adding a preamp at the antenna. Winegard and ChannelMaster make good ones.

Linley

Last edited by LinleyG; 12-25-2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added an idea at the end.
post #8873 of 8906 Old 12-25-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Don't overthink this. It's probably the trees.
post #8874 of 8906 Old 01-04-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
Don't overthink this. It's probably the trees.

Could well be.

But, it's normally better to do the cheap experiments (i.e., effort or $) first if there is a reasonable chance it will solve the problem.
post #8875 of 8906 Old 01-29-2019, 11:15 AM

KEVE-LD (Vir. 36, RF36) is off the air. It was absent Sunday evening (1/27 and remains off as of Tuesday morning (1/29). It's due to move to RF31 as part of the repack so this may be a step in that process. However, KEVE has been periodically tripping off the air for some time so there may have been a transmitter failure.

Linley
post #8876 of 8906 Old 02-01-2019, 08:36 PM

KEVE-LD (Rf 36 Vir. 36) is back on the air tonight. Apparently a transmitter problem. It is still exhibiting carrier trips every few minutes.

Linley
post #8877 of 8906 Old 02-13-2019, 09:18 PM

Tonight KOXO-CD (RF15 Vir. 41) is off the air.

It appears to have been replaced by KOXI-CD (RF20, Vir. 20) which is carrying the same YouToo and Valley17 programing that appeared on KOXO.

Linley
post #8878 of 8906 Old 02-14-2019, 09:17 PM

WatchTV's RF Ch. 15 signal is back on the air this evening. Its RF Channel 20 signal remains on as well.

The RF Ch.15 signal is, in theory, KOXO-CD. For the moment, at least its PSIP is identifying the transmitter as KOXI-CD virtual channel 20-1.

Both transmitters seem to be carrying identical programming; YouToo and Valley17.

Linley
post #8879 of 8906 Old 02-18-2019, 11:16 AM

Today, Feb 18 is either a year and a day (or a year and two days depending on how you count) since a silent STA was filed for four of WatchTV's Portland transmitters. That is KORS-CD (RF ch 16), KOXI-CD (RF ch 20), KORK-CD (RF ch 35) and KKEI (RF ch 38). By my observation, KORS, KORK and KKEI had been off the air for months before the silent STA was filed but the STA established a date that WatchTV agreed that they were silent.

FCC reg 73.1740(c) states that if you do not transmit broadcast signal for a year, your license “expires as a matter of law …”. KOXI-CD returned to the air a few days ago, perhaps, perhaps not within the year, depending on exactly what day it went silent from transmitting ATSC 3.0. WatchTV filed notices with the FCC before the deadline that the other three stations had also returned to full power operation. However, at my site ~9 miles from the stations’ site using an outside antenna and a spectrum analyzer have been unable to detect their emissions.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Linley
post #8880 of 8906 Old 02-21-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been keeping an eye on the status of channels since all of the work began. In the south hills of Salem, and a reasonably clear shot toward the Portland west hills, perhaps it's a bit far to receive stations that I assume may regularly be operating at reduced power or on a backup antenna. Stations that come to mind are the channels 47.x and for some time, the channels 15.x. That's the situation just using the television tuners in the house. If I try the tuners in the Magnavox DVRs, a different story. I'm receiving 15.2 through 15.4 (no 15.1), 38.1 (a fairly recent appearance with the same programming as the 15.x stations) and 47.1 through 47.3 with no problem on the newer model, the MDR867H, but none of them on the older model, the MDR537H. I assume that since every device is using the same antenna (separate UHF and VHF antennas) the 867 must have a better tuner if it can receive these stations with no apparent signal problems. Also, have noticed the former KPTV/KPDX translator K50GG has moved to RF 19. I'm also assuming that the issue with typically no reception on the former channel 41.x channels, now RF 15 and 47.x is that they are indeed regularly operating at the reduced power while work is being performed and/or on a backup antenna as mentioned before although, on occasion, I've seen them back on for perhaps several hours or maybe a day so perhaps they are occasionally back on normal power and/or antenna. Signal strength on the DVR definitely shows a lower level than other stations which would match the normal lower power levels being used by the LP stations. Will be glad when all of this work is completed so we can see what can or can't be received once all of the dust is settled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page