Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN - HDTV - Page 251 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes

post #7501 of 7516 Old 08-17-2018, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I have a feeling that the antenna requires power to it....which in turn is amplifying a signal that is already really strong.

yup...per the manual "The amplifier must be powered in order to function. Plug the amplifier’s USB cable into an open USB port on the back of the TV. If the TV does not have a USB port, use the included power adapter to power the amplifier via any standard 120V wall outlet."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 7516 Old 11-30-2018, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently noticed reception issues on WXIN-DT (59-1) this past Sunday and again last night (I typically only watch this channel for NFL games, but I think this was the first time in about a month or two). I am using a large antenna mounted in my attic (no amplifiers), and I have used this same setup for about 6 years with no recent changes. The signal strength for 59-1 is basically non-existent when checking on my TV and also on my HD-Homerun (all other channels appear to be fine). The thing that is odd to me is that I have a small TV connected to one of those cheap flat antennas, and it was receiving 59-1 without any issues (I am about 17 miles for the tower). How could this be?

I noticed the completion date for the "FCC TV Channel Repack" was 10/18/2019 and the RF channel changed from 45 to 22 for 59-1. Could this be part of the problem? I re-scanned for channels on the TV, and it didn't make a difference (except that I lost 59-1 completely); I did not re-scan on the HDHomerun. My next step is to connect the smaller TV to the big antenna and see what happens. I wanted to check in here to see if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions as this is slightly mind boggling to me.

Thanks for your help!
post #7503 of 7516 Old 11-30-2018, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CsquaredIN View Post
I recently noticed reception issues on WXIN-DT (59-1) this past Sunday and again last night (I typically only watch this channel for NFL games, but I think this was the first time in about a month or two). I am using a large antenna mounted in my attic (no amplifiers), and I have used this same setup for about 6 years with no recent changes. The signal strength for 59-1 is basically non-existent when checking on my TV and also on my HD-Homerun (all other channels appear to be fine). The thing that is odd to me is that I have a small TV connected to one of those cheap flat antennas, and it was receiving 59-1 without any issues (I am about 17 miles for the tower). How could this be?

I noticed the completion date for the "FCC TV Channel Repack" was 10/18/2019 and the RF channel changed from 45 to 22 for 59-1. Could this be part of the problem? I re-scanned for channels on the TV, and it didn't make a difference (except that I lost 59-1 completely); I did not re-scan on the HDHomerun. My next step is to connect the smaller TV to the big antenna and see what happens. I wanted to check in here to see if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions as this is slightly mind boggling to me.

Thanks for your help!
I've heard of issues with too strong a signal; do you have an attenuator handy to check? At 17 miles you might try the cheap antenna on the big TV.

Chris C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7504 of 7516 Old 01-03-2019, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Indianapolis Tribune/Spectrum Squabble

The greed of license holders almost makes me feel sorry for the greedy cable TV operators.
In Indianpolis, Triubune (Channels 4 and 59) are holding out for (according to Spectrum) a doubling of re-broadcast fees.
From the Indianapolis Star:
In a statement to IndyStar on Wednesday, Spectrum said Tribune is not being "reasonable."
"Tribune is demanding an increase of more than double what we pay today for the same programming," a spokesman said. "That is more than we pay any other broadcaster."
On its website, Spectrum accuses Tribune of being "driven by greed."
"They've pulled their channels from other distributors over the recent years as a negotiating tactic," the website says.

Stations get NFL football games for free from the network, then want a king's ransom to sell "their" free over the air program to cable operators. Only in America.

I just wish folks would wise up and get antennas. A pox on both their houses!
post #7505 of 7516 Old 01-03-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathill View Post
Stations get NFL football games for free from the network, then want a king's ransom to sell "their" free over the air program to cable operators. Only in America.

Citation? Networks have been demanding fees from their affiliates for years now. In fact, WISH is no longer CBS specifically because of the amount of money CBS wanted for its programming.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7506 of 7516 Old 01-03-2019, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Citation? Networks have been demanding fees from their affiliates for years now. In fact, WISH is no longer CBS specifically because of the amount of money CBS wanted for its programming.
- Trip

A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
As usual, you're 100% right.
I now remember (like it was yesterday) when Tribune changed from WISH to WTTV, but when in rant mode sometimes I forget key facts.

I'm just frustrated.

The problem in my mind is consolidation. Big bullies throw their weight around (two station NFL-heavy Tribune in this case) and little bullies like Spectrum pay the price.

Now, my rant is at least a little more based on facts.
Thanks for straightening me out. At 70, I seem to need it more and more all the time.

Your are of great service to this forum.
post #7507 of 7516 Old 01-05-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 474
WRTV should be flat out embarrassed by how much better the Colts-Texans game looks on ESPN than on our local ABC affiliate.

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
post #7508 of 7516 Old 05-06-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Anyone: I'm only getting 8 local channels for several months now, using the built-in tuner of a flat panel LG. Re-connected old CRT-HD set, and same thing. Powered and unpowered antennas. Other than channels 4 and 8 doing a swap, have any other frequencies been re-allocated? I can no longer receive WRTV 6, WXIN 59, WTTV 4, WFYI 20, ION TV 63, and a few others. I am only getting the CW, WNDY, WTHR and their related subchannels. Help...

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #7509 of 7516 Old 05-07-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm in Indy, BTW, and using indoor antenna(s). The missing channels worked previously. TV Fool says a set-top antenna should be all I require:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90386f9bb34833

post #7510 of 7516 Old 05-07-2019, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
I'm in Indy, BTW, and using indoor antenna(s). The missing channels worked previously. TV Fool says a set-top antenna should be all I require:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90386f9bb34833
I have an older LG flat panel and it does not get all the channels I used to get. I have an outside antenna and preamp. Maybe it's the LG tuner.
post #7511 of 7516 Old 05-08-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. Also tried auto-tuning a number of times; no dice. Short answer seems to be the missing channels have been re-allocated (something I didn't see coming). Most likely I need a better antenna. Will ask at an appliance store....

post #7512 of 7516 Old 05-09-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What type of antenna is it? Being that close to the towers any antenna should work.

Only some stations are being moved and that shouldnt affect reception. None of the Indy stations have moved to their new frequency yet.

Quote:
I am only getting the CW, WNDY, WTHR and their related subchannels.
all 3 of those stations are on VHF still (CW & WNDY are sharing RF9 and WTHR is on RF13). All other stations are on UHF. Are you sure you have the TV set up for antenna and not cable?
post #7513 of 7516 Old 05-12-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I re-connected my old Sanyo CRT (finally started showing signs of failure), which received them fine previously, and it has the exact same reception. Using an indoor powered Radio Shack antennna (rotary w ariels), and a single dipole antenna which is really meant for a USB tuner. Same with either TV and antenna. I'm pretty sure it's setup for OTA, but I'll double check setings...

post #7514 of 7516 Old 05-12-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Its just weird that the only stations you are getting are stations that use VHF as their physical station (RF9 & RF13). There is also a RF8 (WIIH) that maps to 17-1 and shows GetTV (same as WISH 8-2). Its only at 300 watts but at 7 miles away you might pick it up.

Everything else is on UHF and you should get it just fine. Can you turn off the amplifier on the Rat Shack Antenna? being that close you may be overpowering the signal (but not likely)
post #7515 of 7516 Old 05-27-2019, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

nhl irl

LOVED the race, but awards banquets are not very exciting.
WTHR decided to broadcast the awards banquet in HD (13-1), the Stanley Cup in SD (13-3 and 46-1).
The strange part is that 46-1 is sending out three to three and a half times the data of 13-3 (so reports SiliconDust and VLC). But to my old eyes 13-3 actually looks better. Scrolling at the bottom looks better, seems to have more contrast. HDTV has spoiled my hockey eyes!
46-1 is the only channel broadcast on 46-1, 13-3 obviously shares lots of bandwidth with an HD 13-1 and SD 13-2.
Anybody got any ideas how this strange situation can occur?
post #7516 of 7516 Old 06-11-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tegna bought WTHR from Dispatch Group

https://www.wthr.com/article/wthr-pa...sold-tegna-inc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version