Myrtle Beach, SC - HDTV - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #2101 of 2133 Old 09-16-2016, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well the parts are in but I have not had a chance to install them yet. It's my mom's house in florence and I'm at the beach. Time off and the weather don't seem to be on the same page. Hoping Tuesday or Wednesday I can get everything up and running.

Thanks for everyone's help so far and I'll keep you guys updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2133 Old 10-16-2016, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to ditch cable and install ota antenna in the attic, if reception warrants.

Currently running 5 TV's, so I realize I may have to make a few concessions. Really only looking for major networks, but WBTW - (CBS) is my current favorite for local news, so would definitely like to get that. It's some 51 miles away though.

I am located in the Calabash area of NC and am presently interested in 2 models: Clearstream 4V and Mohu Sky60. I have run the analysis tool for my location and here is the link for that data:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbb9b3b4ee5b

Hope I did that correct. Any assistance is greatly appreciated and if I am in the wrong area, I apologize and kindly direct me to proper location.

Thanks again
post #2103 of 2133 Old 10-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeck View Post
Currently running 5 TV's, so I realize I may have to make a few concessions. Really only looking for major networks, but WBTW - (CBS) is my current favorite for local news, so would definitely like to get that. It's some 51 miles away though.

I am located in the Calabash area of NC and am presently interested in 2 models: Clearstream 4V and Mohu Sky60. I have run the analysis tool for my location and here is the link for that data:

Thanks again
You may or may not realize that CBS is moving from low power WILM to a sub-channel of full-power WWAY on Jan 1. This will get you a stronger CBS signal in Calabash, though you note that WBTW is your local news preference. Just a thought for you, though...

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2104 of 2133 Old 10-19-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I would tend to think the Clearstream 4V would be a better overall antenna than the Mohu Sky60. But I would suggest a professional evaluation of the 2. Or you could check out MCM for a 4bay and a High VHF antenna to combine.
post #2105 of 2133 Old 02-23-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 450
So what's the deal with the new channel relocation I've been hearing about moving everything below 36 that will be happening in the foreseeable future? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
post #2106 of 2133 Old 06-02-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I noticed yesterday WPDE 15 added TBD channel to 15-4. I checked out the program on their website and I see absolutely nothing that would interest me. It looks like some kind of multicaster YouTube channel. Some people might like that but I think it's a waste bandwidth.

I also noticed WWE MV 21 added "Charge" channel to it's line up on channel 21-4. Looks like it might produce some interesting movies to watch looking at the website.

Anybody notice channel 15's time in their PSIP data has been incorrect for several months? And I'm talking about at least a year. Not sure how to contact anyone there that could do anything about it to let them be aware of it. Is behind by at least 52 minutes.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #2107 of 2133 Old 06-05-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Is "analog" cable still available in the MB area? I was in Myrtle beach from Thursday of last week to today and stayed in one of the condo complexes up north. The TV lineup appeared to be either analog cable or an head end setup, but the local channels were correctly mapped in clear QAM with all their subchannels. Whoever was there before us had done a channel scan and a ton of other HD channels showed up in clear QAM as well from the 120's and up. Even all the ESPN's, HGTV, History, AMC, A&E, etc were there. I was surprised to see so much "open" still.
post #2108 of 2133 Old 06-06-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Is "analog" cable still available in the MB area? I was in Myrtle beach from Thursday of last week to today and stayed in one of the condo complexes up north. The TV lineup appeared to be either analog cable or an head end setup, but the local channels were correctly mapped in clear QAM with all their subchannels. Whoever was there before us had done a channel scan and a ton of other HD channels showed up in clear QAM as well from the 120's and up. Even all the ESPN's, HGTV, History, AMC, A&E, etc were there. I was surprised to see so much "open" still.
No, analog is gone. Those are just clear to QAM channels but apparently haven't been disabled/disconnected from the condo yet.

It's possible to previous tenants subscribed and either did cancel the service when they left or what they payed for has not ran out yet. This sentence is only a wild guess.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #2109 of 2133 Old 06-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Spectrum which was Time Warner of course, is still using Analog in the area. Some condos are using HTC though so its not the same. I thought Spectrum would have turn of analog by now but they haven't.
post #2110 of 2133 Old 06-07-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had no idea anybody anydody was still using analog. I have a Spectrum AKA Time Warner but I'm up here in Pembroke North Carolina and they discontinued analog sometime back.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #2111 of 2133 Old 07-28-2017, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'll be moving to the Carolina Forest area of MB 8/10 and will be streaming HTC cable using Kodi/Plex and a couple of HdHomerun's.
Having the Bluewave fiber, 200 up 200 down installed also, can someone tell me which brand routers they install?
Thanks
post #2112 of 2133 Old 12-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Weather test Saturday night

The dreaded red ribbon weather test was run last night about 8:45 PM. It killed the sound on the show I was watching and ran for about 3 minutes, when it went away it was another 5 minutes before the sound came back. I was watch the Heisman show and missed the acceptance speech. Nice work spectrum!
post #2113 of 2133 Old 02-15-2018, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody know what has happened to station WFPX iON ch.62.x? I haven't gotten a signal from them in a few days.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #2114 of 2133 Old 02-15-2018, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Now channel sharing on WRPX.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2115 of 2133 Old 02-16-2018, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Now channel sharing on WRPX.

- Trip
That is out of Raleigh North Carolina. Can't pick that station up. Well I guess there goes Qubo for the kids. Thanks FCC Repack.

I'm in Pembrook North Carolina. Smack dab in the middle of three different markets out on the fringe area of all three. Even with one of Channel masters largest UHF/VHF rooftop antenna some stations receptionist are flaky. I'm not longer to go W BTW 13 added iON on one of their subchannels, but only domain iON channel.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED

Last edited by Daryl L; 02-16-2018 at 06:18 AM.
post #2116 of 2133 Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
That is out of Raleigh North Carolina. Can't pick that station up. Well I guess there goes Qubo for the kids. Thanks FCC Repack.

I'm in Pembrook North Carolina. Smack dab in the middle of three different markets out on the fringe area of all three. Even with one of Channel masters largest UHF/VHF rooftop antenna some stations receptionist are flaky. I'm not longer to go W BTW 13 added iON on one of their subchannels, but only domain iON channel.
Sounds like Rockingham, NC which is also a fringe area. It is technically classified Charlotte market, but is also on the fringe for Greensboro, Raleigh, and Florence/Myrtle Beach. And perhaps even Columbia. It may actually be easier to get some of those other markets rather than Charlotte in Richmond County. I think WSOC and WCCB are the strongest from Charlotte, and then some of the Florence channels such as WBTW may be easier to get for CBS rather than WBTV. And I believe WCNC may still have a translator in Anson County for NBC unless that has changed. But some of these fringe areas may require more than one antenna to optimize signals from different markets.
post #2117 of 2133 Old 02-16-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Sounds like Rockingham, NC which is also a fringe area. It is technically classified Charlotte market, but is also on the fringe for Greensboro, Raleigh, and Florence/Myrtle Beach. And perhaps even Columbia. It may actually be easier to get some of those other markets rather than Charlotte in Richmond County. I think WSOC and WCCB are the strongest from Charlotte, and then some of the Florence channels such as WBTW may be easier to get for CBS rather than WBTV. And I believe WCNC may still have a translator in Anson County for NBC unless that has changed. But some of these fringe areas may require more than one antenna to optimize signals from different markets.
I am technically in the Myrtle Beach market if I'm not mistaken. I am one hour west of Rockinham. I'm sort of in between the Wilmington/Myrtle Beach/Raleigh-Durham markets. I get the WBTV 13 CBS, WPDE 15, ABC WWMB 21 CW and WFXB 43 Fox just fine. WMBF 32 NBC is a no go. WECT 6 NBC and WWAY 3 ABC/CBS is 50/50. I do occasionally get WLFL 22 and WRDC 28 out of Raleigh occasionally. Charlotte stations are a no go for me. Unless there is some heavy tropospheric ducting going on.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #2118 of 2133 Old 02-18-2018, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Daryl,

Do you see WTVD at all? I have a VHF hi antenna pointing towards the tower, but I can't ever seem to get even a blip... When I had just my winegard 8 bay UHF on a rotor, I could get it every now and then. Robeson co. has flipped markets several times. Markets are for news coverage overall. Wilmington used to cover Lumberton and Fayetteville up until as recent as the mid 90s I believe, at least on WECT, WWAY didn't do Fayetteville.
post #2119 of 2133 Old 02-19-2018, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
Daryl,

Do you see WTVD at all? I have a VHF hi antenna pointing towards the tower, but I can't ever seem to get even a blip... When I had just my winegard 8 bay UHF on a rotor, I could get it every now and then. Robeson co. has flipped markets several times. Markets are for news coverage overall. Wilmington used to cover Lumberton and Fayetteville up until as recent as the mid 90s I believe, at least on WECT, WWAY didn't do Fayetteville.
@jspENC

If I turn my antenna directly toward Raleigh I can get WTVD every once in a while but it's weak and flaky. It's been like that for about two years or longer since they changed something with their transmitter. I believe they switched to a directional transmitter. Before that I used to get them pretty good on a regular basis. So I gave up trying to get them long ago since I can get WPDE 15 ABC steadily 24/7 out of Florence/Myrtle Beach.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #2120 of 2133 Old 02-19-2018, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
@jspENC

If I turn my antenna directly toward Raleigh I can get WTVD every once in a while but it's weak and flaky. It's been like that for about two years or longer since they changed something with their transmitter. I believe they switched to a directional transmitter. Before that I used to get them pretty good on a regular basis. So I gave up trying to get them long ago since I can get WPDE 15 ABC steadily 24/7 out of Florence/Myrtle Beach.
WTVD changed to a circularly polarized antenna, which works best with your home antenna elements pointing straight up like rabbit ears. They did this after I commented about WCTI having a circularly polarized set-up. One user in Greenville says he could not get WTVD until he turned his antenna sideways. It would be difficult for me to do that, and not worth it anyway...
post #2121 of 2133 Old 02-19-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
WTVD changed to a circularly polarized antenna, which works best with your home antenna elements pointing straight up like rabbit ears. They did this after I commented about WCTI having a circularly polarized set-up. One user in Greenville says he could not get WTVD until he turned his antenna sideways. It would be difficult for me to do that, and not worth it anyway...
Ohhh! Well, I don't necessarily need WTVD so I'm not switching antennas anytime soon unless it were to get damaged and I have to.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #2122 of 2133 Old 08-07-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Myrtle Beach area

Tried following your rules, Your MYR section was locked? So I posted here?

Gentleman, Ladies?

Looking for antenna suggestion. I have added my Fool chart. Have researched this site for hours and found a similar situation but range for his Hi-VHF was 50 miles. I have the VHF and a UHF at 60 miles. Your previous thread said the Wine 7694 would work for him.

I'm shooting uphill, nearest dense tree line is ~300yards in the 350* direction. Antenna going in the attic unless it's small like the GE. Antenna will be mounted about 20ft above ground, maybe 25.

Alternates
1 HD Stacker
2 GE 29884
3 CM-5018
4 RCA ant3037xr
5 RCA ant751
6 WG 7694

Thanks

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna 20ft.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	2600356  
post #2123 of 2133 Old 08-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 4336
Moved to Myrtle Beach thread. Please use a LINK not an image. See the stickies.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #2124 of 2133 Old 08-08-2019, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 225
WFXB is now operating on our Interim-AUX antenna as of yesterday. Coverage and power are a bit different until we make the transition to channel 36 on the new top mount antenna in September.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #2125 of 2133 Old 09-09-2019, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WPDE Repack DOA

Has anyone been able to receive WPDE since the repack date of Sep 3rd? (RF repack from 16 to 27)
post #2126 of 2133 Old 09-09-2019, 11:42 AM

WPDE is at very reduced power/height due to a delay in finishing the transmission line to the new antenna at the top of the tower. I don't have any information on how much of a delay it will be.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2127 of 2133 Old 09-11-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 225
WFXB is now broadcasting on Ch-36 at full power.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 09-11-2019 at 09:13 PM.
post #2128 of 2133 Old 09-18-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since the repack, I have picked up WWMB, WMBF, and WFXB several times... The first two I have never seen before. (Jacksonville, NC)
post #2129 of 2133 Old 09-18-2019, 08:21 AM

WMBF was co-channel with WITN. No surprise you didn't see it.

WWMB is a little harder to explain. They're on a much weaker facility much lower to the ground than the main channel 21 facility had been. Maybe WTMH-LD was just that good at blocking it?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2130 of 2133 Old 09-18-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WMBF was co-channel with WITN. No surprise you didn't see it.

WWMB is a little harder to explain. They're on a much weaker facility much lower to the ground than the main channel 21 facility had been. Maybe WTMH-LD was just that good at blocking it?

- Trip

WWMB is on 26 now, but is directional, and not in my direction, so it is the Winegard 8 bay drawing it in. WTMH is coming in, but WUNJ is not now, so they must be on 21 at this time, and weak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page