Atlanta, GA - Comcast - Page 189 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #5641 of 5647 Old 04-21-2018, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84lion View Post
Comcast is working themselves out of the TV business by continuing to offer less for the same price
I find such one-sided consumerist rhetoric to be offensive, mainly because it implicitly insults the intelligence of casual readers of the forum.

There is no evidence that Comcast could do anything differently and still be as profitable. Just because we don't like what they're doing doesn't mean that making anything other than the best business decisions.

Beyond that, don't forget that Comcast gets paid for Universal content regardless of whether it is consumed via the Comcast cable television service, and Comcast gets paid for the Internet service needed to stream content from other distributors, and charges extra in most areas for consumption beyond 1TB/month. A business model with two different backstops is impressive.

The best evidence that Comcast is making the best decisions is that the competitors that have been previously hailed by consumers are doing the same things - once the early adopter honeymoon is over, offering roughly the same kind of service with comparable service specifications and comparable pricing.

Let's just stick with the reality: We don't like what they're doing. Our personal preferences are worthy of being aired in their own right. There's no need to make them sound like anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5642 of 5647 Old 04-21-2018, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I also noticed that Comcast dropped the Channel 11 weather channel that was on 211 - there's a new channel 11 subchannel in its place. This means that there are no channels on Comcast covering local weather 24/7. Good thing I have an antenna and Tivo HDs so I can pick up this channel. It boggles my mind that a SD channel like this is taking up so much bandwidth that Comcast feels compelled to just drop the service...really?
Changing 11-2 for 11-4 wasn't a bad switch in and of itself, but I'm with you: why not keep both?

If they wanted to really do something productive, drop the SD duplicates of HD channels to save bandwidth instead of the other way around.

There's no reason to keep the SDs when all but the legacy equipment can downconvert.
Why should the massive majority of us with HD sets have to put up with SD when it's just wasting space?
You can't even buy a SD only set and you have luddites who will watch the SD channels and think it's HD.
ChazzMatt likes this.

Last edited by ShoelessJoe; 04-21-2018 at 11:01 AM.
post #5643 of 5647 Old 04-21-2018, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I also noticed that Comcast dropped the Channel 11 weather channel that was on 211 - there's a new channel 11 subchannel in its place. This means that there are no channels on Comcast covering local weather 24/7. Good thing I have an antenna and Tivo HDs so I can pick up this channel. It boggles my mind that a SD channel like this is taking up so much bandwidth that Comcast feels compelled to just drop the service...really?
I never go to the SD tiers at all. But

1) have you looked to see if the WXIA sub-channel was moved elsewhere? You are talking about Weather Info Zone, aka WeatherNation.

2) If entirely removed, have you considered it was a WXIA business decision, not Comcast?

The local channels (WSB-TV, WXIA, WAGA, etc) decide what their sub-channels are, not Comcast. I'm pretty sure digital sub-channels are not "must carry". It's ANOTHER WXIA sub-channel that maybe WXIA decided Comcast should re-broadcast, to make them more money. Many of these sub-channels are old Westerns, comedy re-runs, action movies that have commercial breaks. Grit, Laff, Escape, etc.

OR WXIA lost the right to re-transmit WeatherNation on cable channels.

http://www.wiki-zero.com/index.php?q...ck5hdGlvbl9UVg
Quote:
As of January 2015, WeatherNation TV has current or pending affiliation agreements with 35 television stations in 33 media markets encompassing 21 states and the District of Columbia. WeatherNation TV is carried primarily on digital subchannels of broadcast television stations, and is carried on the digital tiers of select cable providers at the discretion of a local affiliate of the network in most markets.

Although WeatherNation TV maintains a high-definition feed, its broadcast affiliates carry the network in 480i standard-definition in its default 16:9 widescreen format in order to preserve bandwidth to transmit the station's primary channel in high-definition; the HD feed is generally exclusive to certain pay television providers at their preference.
3) Most people get their weather from smartphones apps nowadays, not from TV.

4) The SD Weather Channel has local weather overlay bottom of the screen ALL the time, and has local weather updates (last time I looked at it). The HD channel for some reason does not have that overlay, just the SD channel. My mother watches it, not me.

Quote:
Comcast is working themselves out of the TV business by continuing to offer less for the same price (more, actually, since there are yearly price increases). What is really frustrating are the under-the-line fees, especially the ones for local broadcast channels and regional sports, that add up to something like $14. Our triple-play package is now nearly $200 per month. This is just Preferred TV service.
There are ways to reduce the monthly payment but it involves negotiation with Comcast.

Quote:
My wife is investigating streaming services. I am on-board since I watch very little live TV outside of locals (which we can pick up with an antenna) and could do without. It is just this kind of nonsense that is nudging people toward "cutting the cord." I am somewhat concerned that greater internet use will have us up against the cap, but at this point I'm willing to take my chances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWy View Post
I DVR almost everything I watch. I COULD watch local channels for news, etc. But I also like things like NFL Redzone.

Exactly. Too much stuff is not available over the air or on Internet-only streaming. Or IS available with Internet streaming, but about the same price and no easy DVR.
ShoelessJoe likes this.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Last edited by ChazzMatt; 04-21-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5644 of 5647 Old 06-16-2018, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
With WUPA adding Comet on 69-3, when does everyone think it will be added to the Comcast lineup?

Also, I might be wishcasting, but it would be nice if Comcast would also look into carrying some of the low powers so we can get Stadium, for instance.
post #5645 of 5647 Old 07-10-2018, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Just tried the new ROKU app...seems to work pretty well....

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...tv-app-on-roku

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #5646 of 5647 Old 12-24-2018, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A few new HD channels that I noticed this week, which from reports around the country may be IP-only (IE, not tuneable on a Tivo or similar) - Newsmax (1115), I24 (1118), Z Living (1495). I don't know why they added Z, per its Wikipedia page it will be shut down next month. I'm not sure if NKH World (1155) which was added a few months back is also IP only, but those are the only channels I show that are ONLY listed in the 1000s without a duplicate lower down.
post #5647 of 5647 Old 12-29-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Is anyone else seeing picture freezes during bowl games on ESPN? This is a weird one for me because it's only ESPN and there's no pic breakup/pixelation, it just freezes (with audio still going) then catches up a few seconds later.

I'm seeing this on a Tivo btw, don't have the issue on other channels so don't think it's my box. Could be some encoding/transmission issue on Comcast to our local area though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page