Pittsburgh, PA - OTA - Page 165 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #4921 of 4988 Old 10-27-2019, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post
What did you have in mind as far as antenna size and where will it be mounted? Rotor? Do you need all wiring done including in the house? If you are going to have a rotor and an amplifier at the antenna, you may not want it high as possible, but some compromise if you have to maintenance or repair/replace antenna, rotor, or amp.

I know a general contractor that has all the various constructions skills AND does steep slate roofing AND also takes down trees where he is working off ropes and slings.

Frankly, a roofer might do the best job because some installers just nail brackets through your shingles improperly and cause leaks. I wouldn't let anyone do anything on my roof unless I personally knew them and the quality of work they did.

Sorry, didnt see this. Should have subscribed to this thread.

Trying to get Don Compton out here to install. Supposed to install Saturday so I hung around here all day and no sign of the installers and no return of messages. (It was raining off and on all day.) Going to call tomorrow morning to set something up for this week. Very frustrating.

Don Compton himself came out Thursday afternoon. Going to put a pole at the edge of the yard and install what looks like a multidirectional antenna.

Hopefully this works out but if not, I will call the guy that did my roof. They are certainly comfortable with climbing. There are these options as well.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/need...do-it-for-you/

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-HDTV-.../dp/B06WP88X6B

Amazon charges $250 for an install including no equipment. I guess its subcontracted locally. WTH, I'll pay this no problem. Just want it done.

Last edited by vlad335; 10-27-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 4988 Old 10-27-2019, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow, $250 sounds expensive.

Do you want them to do all the wiring?

Is a rotor involved?

Chimney, roof, or wall mount?
post #4923 of 4988 Old 10-28-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post
Wow, $250 sounds expensive.

Do you want them to do all the wiring?

Is a rotor involved?

Chimney, roof, or wall mount?

Yes, expensive but would be done one time. I would like to get it on the roof of my 2 story home. No rotor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4924 of 4988 Old 11-01-2019, 09:42 PM
wbf

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
WPTG has added another digital network to it's line-up. Heartland, which is aimed at country music fans, is now airing on 69-6.
post #4925 of 4988 Old 11-02-2019, 10:55 PM

Got a multi directional antenna installed last Tuesday and was picking up 32 channels. Bought a kit from Ebay, the Ultimate Antenna by Danny Hodges. Picking up 60 channels now with a Winegard preamp. Some of the 1080i feeds look incredible. I forgot how good just regular HD looks without compression.

*I have to clean up the wiring. just threw it up to see how it would do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191103_004404_resized.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	2635814  
post #4926 of 4988 Old 11-03-2019, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Yes OVER THE AIR IS GREAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad335 View Post
Got a multi directional antenna installed last Tuesday and was picking up 32 channels. Bought a kit from Ebay, the Ultimate Antenna by Danny Hodges. Picking up 60 channels now with a Winegard preamp. Some of the 1080i feeds look incredible. I forgot how good just regular HD looks without compression.

*I have to clean up the wiring. just threw it up to see how it would do.
I have been an early adapter from the beginning of digital tv.It is truly incredible to view and have received stations from several cities outside Pittsburgh,but I will say and many will agree,things were a lot better before this latest repack.I have had cable,direct tv and nothing compares to Over The Air and did I forget to mention, its free for better quality.My neighbors think I'm nuts for trying different antennas,but I can laugh all the way to the bank not paying $70 to 220.00 a month to the cable and dish companys.If you have to expand your taste get a Roku box they are pretty amazing too.
post #4927 of 4988 Old 11-04-2019, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay2go View Post
I have been an early adapter from the beginning of digital tv.It is truly incredible to view and have received stations from several cities outside Pittsburgh,but I will say and many will agree,things were a lot better before this latest repack.I have had cable,direct tv and nothing compares to Over The Air and did I forget to mention, its free for better quality.My neighbors think I'm nuts for trying different antennas,but I can laugh all the way to the bank not paying $70 to 220.00 a month to the cable and dish companys.If you have to expand your taste get a Roku box they are pretty amazing too.

I actually have a Roku Ultra box but I am looking to sell it because I just bought a Roku TV and it's now redundant.

I think I am going to buy the Clearstream 4Max this week and put it up and see how it does against my current antenna. If it is no better or worse I will just return it.

I can't get WQED old channel 13 though. Bummer. I heard they went low VHF. I can't pick it up at all. I used to have OTA about 20 years ago and that was my favorite channel for HD quality. Just have to figure out how bring it in.
post #4928 of 4988 Old 11-04-2019, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I actually have a Roku Ultra box but I am looking to sell it because I just bought a Roku TV and it's now redundant.

I think I am going to buy the Clearstream 4Max this week and put it up and see how it does against my current antenna. If it is no better or worse I will just return it.

I can't get WQED old channel 13 though. Bummer. I heard they went low VHF. I can't pick it up at all. I used to have OTA about 20 years ago and that was my favorite channel for HD quality. Just have to figure out how bring it in.
Why don't you get an Rca-751 antenna? I extended the rear elements and get Wqed - Rf 4 here at Johnstown. It is a 2-edge signal here. You are on the other side of Laurel Mt. from me. Or get a Winegard Pr-7000 (LO vhf, Hi vhf, Uhf). Let us not forget that Pbs main feeds transmit on Galaxy 14 (125 West) on Ku band via satellite free to air. If you have a clear shot at the southern sky, these channels are here all the time. You would need a 90cm ku dish and dvb-s2 free to air satellite receiver.
post #4929 of 4988 Old 11-05-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambria county View Post
Why don't you get an Rca-751 antenna? I extended the rear elements and get Wqed - Rf 4 here at Johnstown. It is a 2-edge signal here. You are on the other side of Laurel Mt. from me. Or get a Winegard Pr-7000 (LO vhf, Hi vhf, Uhf). Let us not forget that Pbs main feeds transmit on Galaxy 14 (125 West) on Ku band via satellite free to air. If you have a clear shot at the southern sky, these channels are here all the time. You would need a 90cm ku dish and dvb-s2 free to air satellite receiver.

Thanks for the post. Yeah, thats pretty impressive all the way in the Johnstown area.

Would this work? Couldn't find a PR-7000.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also found this one locally. Reading your earlier post I would obviously have to extend the rear element.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Subur...ll&athena=true

Last edited by vlad335; 11-05-2019 at 07:08 PM.
post #4930 of 4988 Old 11-05-2019, 07:29 PM

Bought the Clearstream 4Max locally and put it up this afternoon. The Ebay antenna is much much better. https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Ultimat...cAAOSwgHFdjRk9

Picks up about 20 more channels. The 4max pixelates alot more on certain weaker signals as well. Cost $156 at Lowes and it's going back.

Come to think of it.... The seller on Ebay also sells a VHF kit to go with his antenna. i would need to pick up a combiner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Ultimat...cAAOSwv5VdeENx

Pretty expensive for what it is but I don't have to buy it. I can make it pretty easy to add on to this antenna. It would make a nice little project as I love building stuff anyway. It was fun putting this antenna together.

CAMBRIA COUNTY: You mentioned the length of the VHF rods would need adjusted pertaining to location? How long would they need to be for PA 15650 to get WQED?
post #4931 of 4988 Old 11-06-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Bought the Clearstream 4Max locally and put it up this afternoon. The Ebay antenna is much much better. https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Ultimat...cAAOSwgHFdjRk9

Picks up about 20 more channels. The 4max pixelates alot more on certain weaker signals as well. Cost $156 at Lowes and it's going back.

Come to think of it.... The seller on Ebay also sells a VHF kit to go with his antenna. i would need to pick up a combiner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Ultimat...cAAOSwv5VdeENx

Pretty expensive for what it is but I don't have to buy it. I can make it pretty easy to add on to this antenna. It would make a nice little project as I love building stuff anyway. It was fun putting this antenna together.

CAMBRIA COUNTY: You mentioned the length of the VHF rods would need adjusted pertaining to location? How long would they need to be for PA 15650 to get WQED?
The Length of rear elements would be around 48" both sides. See post # 4901 where this has been discussed. The length is based on wavelength for vhf frequency you are seeking. If it were me and I would only use one antenna, I would get the Winegard-7000 antenna. It comes with the extra back elements and you can adjust them. Plus, it is good on uhf side. Remember, nothing beats a single dedicated vhf single yagi for peak reception. The nice thing with the Winegard-7000 is one coax run with vhf low, vhf hi, and uhf. I assume you have a mast mount with your current set up? Lowe's and Best Buy antenna's are very overpriced.
post #4932 of 4988 Old 11-06-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Would this work? Couldn't find a PR-7000.

I believe the HD7000R is the same as the older PR-7000. Winegard just did a marketing update of the Model # because the switch from analog to digital/HD broadcasts.

If you're interested the Ultimate Antenna is based on Mclapp's M4 from the Digital Home Canada forum.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/186...-featured.html

It's the 10" x 9 1/2" version which is better for the repack UHF channels according to Mclapp's site.

https://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweather.com/index.html
vlad335 likes this.

A: Yamaha RX-A770BL, Technics SL-Q300, Philharmonic AA+ & AA Center, 5-Panasonic SB-HEP20, Dayton SUB-1200 & Pioneer SW-8 w/AOSHIKE 100W TPA3116 Amp
V: Panasonic TC-P50S60 Plasma, Sony BDP-S3200, Fire TV Stick 4K, Roku SS 3800R, Chromecast 1 w/UGREEN Ethernet Adapter, CM4221HD hacked & CM7777 Preamp
R: Logitech Harmony Smart Control, Echo Input & Panasonic SC-NP10, TP-Link Archer C9
post #4933 of 4988 Old 11-06-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL B BACH View Post
I believe the HD7000R is the same as the older PR-7000. Winegard just did a marketing update of the Model # because the switch from analog to digital/HD broadcasts.

If you're interested the Ultimate Antenna is based on Mclapp's M4 from the Digital Home Canada forum.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/186...-featured.html

It's the 10" x 9 1/2" version which is better for the repack UHF channels according to Mclapp's site.

https://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweather.com/index.html
I have used many different antenna's. I used to favor the 4 and 8 bays. I now prefer the long yagi's with single and triple boom. At my location they consistently outperform any 4/8 bays every time. I also do like the Rca-751 for it's size and what it can do.
vlad335 likes this.
post #4934 of 4988 Old 11-06-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I now prefer the long yagi's with single and triple boom. At my location they consistently outperform any 4/8 bays every time.

Can you please post some links to these antennas you are referring to? A single and triple boom? Sorry, I am just getting into this and not well versed on this technology.

I ordered the Winegard with VHF extensions from Amazon and it will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to climb up there and see what it does for low VHF.
post #4935 of 4988 Old 11-07-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Can you please post some links to these antennas you are referring to? A single and triple boom? Sorry, I am just getting into this and not well versed on this technology.

I ordered the Winegard with VHF extensions from Amazon and it will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to climb up there and see what it does for low VHF.
Just google "Stellar Labs - Antenna" and you will see many yagi antenna's. They have very good prices here.
post #4936 of 4988 Old 11-09-2019, 03:35 AM

Purchased this antenna and put it up.

26 channels only and still no low VHF. I am certain I assembled it up the correct way. Tried different things like aiming and even removing the preamp but it still doesnt perform nearly as well as the Ebay antenna which brings in 48 channels.

Damn, now I have to figure out how to box this back up.

Last edited by vlad335; 11-09-2019 at 03:03 PM.
post #4937 of 4988 Old 11-09-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Purchased this antenna and put it up.

26 channels only and still no low VHF. I am certain I assembled it up the correct way. Tried different things like aiming and even removing the preamp but it still doesnt perform nearly as well as the Ebay hillbilly antenna which brings in 48 channels.

Damn, now I have to figure out how to box this back up.
Sorry to hear it did not work out for you. Did you try it in the exact location where your so called hillbilly antenna is? I checked your address on rabbit ears and you have tough reception there. You have no line of sight signals.
post #4938 of 4988 Old 11-09-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear it did not work out for you. Did you try it in the exact location where your so called * antenna is? I checked your address on rabbit ears and you have tough reception there. You have no line of sight signals.

My description may be construed as offensive so I edited my post.

How do you know my address? lol. (I assume you did just the zip code.) I placed the Winegard on the same mast. Granted the mount is on my porch roof. I think I could do better if I placed the antenna with a gable mount on the 2nd story roof but thats a bit more involved.

Still very surprised that the antenna I built myself is better than everything I tried so far. Ok, I have only tried 3 others so far but this antenna bests them all, by a huge margin. It's a great design IMO. PVC is very light, cheap, and weather resistant. Also read that it doesn't cause interference with the conducting elements while copper we all know is an excellent conductor. Appears to be a pretty genius design.

I just thought of an experiment. I may try the long rear element from the Winegard on top of the ebay antenna and use a VHF/UHF combiner. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really need to get this antenna higher though.
post #4939 of 4988 Old 11-11-2019, 04:58 PM

I found an old Radio Shack booster in the basement and just for laughs put it in line between the Winegard LNA200 DC unit and STB. It actually works!

Boosted some channels to nearly 100%. WTAE went form 40% to almost the top. After running a new scan I am picking up a couple channels I have never seen before.

This thing is really old, rusty and corroded and I don't trust it for a minute plugged in to my system. It does make a noticeable difference though. Found a couple of these on amazon that look like copies of this Radio Shack and really considering picking one up.

EDIT: I don't understand how this even works. I have read that you are not supposed to run two amps in line together. I expected the signal to either get knocked out, no difference at all or even maybe the unit to catch on fire cause its so old but it worked great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191111_184030_resized.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	2639798  

Last edited by vlad335; 11-11-2019 at 05:31 PM.
post #4940 of 4988 Old 11-11-2019, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I don't understand how this even works. I have read that you are not supposed to run two amps in line together. I expected the signal to either get knocked out, no difference at all or even maybe the unit to catch on fire cause its so old but it worked great.
I was one of the users on another thread that said two amps on the same line can be pushing it. Overamplification of ATSC 1.0 TV signals can cause dropouts. With two or more amps, you're raising the noise floor, too. You must be getting weak signals at your antenna to begin with, because your TV tuner would be overwhelmed if you had strong signals running through both amps. I'd keep it that way as long as it works for you. I wouldn't think it would be a fire hazard unless you hooked them up incorrectly.
post #4941 of 4988 Old 11-11-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in CT View Post
I was one of the users on another thread that said two amps on the same line can be pushing it. Overamplification of ATSC 1.0 TV signals can cause dropouts. With two or more amps, you're raising the noise floor, too. You must be getting weak signals at your antenna to begin with, because your TV tuner would be overwhelmed if you had strong signals running through both amps. I'd keep it that way as long as it works for you. I wouldn't think it would be a fire hazard unless you hooked them up incorrectly.

Yeah, I better check things at the antenna. Perhaps the Winegard LNA200 isnt working well. Previously had a RCA TV-PRAMP1R but the Winegard was better.

I mention fire because this thing was in real bad shape. Sitting in a damp basement enviorment since probably the 90's. I opened it up and its looks ok inside.
post #4942 of 4988 Old 11-26-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Does anyone know the status of WPGH? Believe it or not, we have people calling here asking about not receiving them all of a sudden. I see in their transition plan that tower work is scheduled for November 15th and they could be reducing power for safety. Just curious if anyone has seen a dramatic signal change.

Thanks. We try to help anyone that calls, even if it's another station.
firemantom26 likes this.

Bob
C.E. WFMJ/WBCB
post #4943 of 4988 Old 11-26-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I noticed that WPGH and WPNT were both gone earlier today, but I just checked and they're both back.
post #4944 of 4988 Old 11-26-2019, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Pittsburgh, PA - OTA

Definitely at lower power. They must be preparing for the switch to phase 7 January 17th date .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom

Last edited by firemantom26; 11-26-2019 at 11:16 PM.
post #4945 of 4988 Old 11-27-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post
Definitely at lower power. They must be preparing for the switch to phase 7 January 17th date .

Getting Fox 53 and 22 here at my location (Laurel Mt.). Signal is lower, however, still strong.
post #4946 of 4988 Old 11-27-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
I found an old Radio Shack booster in the basement and just for laughs put it in line between the Winegard LNA200 DC unit and STB. It actually works!

Boosted some channels to nearly 100%. WTAE went form 40% to almost the top. After running a new scan I am picking up a couple channels I have never seen before.

This thing is really old, rusty and corroded and I don't trust it for a minute plugged in to my system. It does make a noticeable difference though. Found a couple of these on amazon that look like copies of this Radio Shack and really considering picking one up.

EDIT: I don't understand how this even works. I have read that you are not supposed to run two amps in line together. I expected the signal to either get knocked out, no difference at all or even maybe the unit to catch on fire cause its so old but it worked great.
I am running several amps in line also. The key is to get the Swr lower. I use a Radio Shack variable attenuator. Pull up your signal meter on the tv, and turn adjustment knob from minimum to max very slowly. You will usually find a sweet spot for each channel that will balance out the signal. Setting may vary from one channel to the next depending on location, edge, power level, etc. You can find these attenuator's on E-bay.
post #4947 of 4988 Old 11-27-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
I am running several amps in line also. The key is to get the Swr lower. I use a Radio Shack variable attenuator. Pull up your signal meter on the tv, and turn adjustment knob from minimum to max very slowly. You will usually find a sweet spot for each channel that will balance out the signal. Setting may vary from one channel to the next depending on location, edge, power level, etc. You can find these attenuator's on E-bay.
vlad335...I have that exact amp you show in your picture. My friend lives in the West End section of Johnstown. Ota reception in the city of Johnstown is very difficult. You are lucky to get Wjac 6. Their tower is 3 mile from the city. The city is in a low lying valley=Flood city. His location shows Wtaj-10 Altoona as "Tropo". 28 mile to Wopsy Mt. I used an old channel master 4-bay on his garage pointed at Altoona. Then I coupled a knock off Rca-751 antenna pointed at Wjac's tower. No amp's at either antenna. Probably a 75 ft coax single run to house. Used this Radio Shack amp with a 4-G cell phone filter in line at tv. Wtaj 10 and Wjac 6 playing perfect...no dropouts. Without these, signals would drop below threshold level. I did not try my Radio Shack attenuator in this application because we had success in this setup. Plus, I do not have an extra one to spare.
post #4948 of 4988 Old 11-27-2019, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantom26 View Post

Thanks for the replies. I've notified the people that answer the phones.
PA_MainyYak likes this.

Bob
C.E. WFMJ/WBCB
post #4949 of 4988 Old 11-27-2019, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
After coming back on the air, 53 and 22 are both now much weaker so hopefully this is only temporary.
I have had dozens of calls from commercial accounts about their reduced signal.
post #4950 of 4988 Old 11-30-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Does anyone know the status of WPGH? Believe it or not, we have people calling here asking about not receiving them all of a sudden. I see in their transition plan that tower work is scheduled for November 15th and they could be reducing power for safety. Just curious if anyone has seen a dramatic signal change.

Thanks. We try to help anyone that calls, even if it's another station.
I have been receiving Pittsburgh DTVs here in Akron today, even low-VHF WQED. But I noticed both WPNT and WPGH were both notably absent... no signal whatsoever. So I checked RabbitEars, and I did not see any STAs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page