Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 347 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 473Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10381 of 10905 Old 05-29-2018, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
LATV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
You'd think they'd want it right for the sake of their advertisers.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
You should of asked for the Chief Engineer. No receptionist would know what you were saying.
LATV is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10382 of 10905 Old 05-29-2018, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
HoTatII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LATV View Post
You should of asked for the Chief Engineer. No receptionist would know what you were saying.
Yeah I know ...

And I feared this would happen when she said she couldn't transfer me directly to the Engineer in charge and that he would have to call me back. Yet wanted me to give her a description of the problem.

And that's when it got ugly, as I may as well been speaking in ancient Egyptian to her for all it mattered with all the techno-speak trying to describe the problem.

She was nice throughout the call though and I'll give her kudos for effort in trying to understand it ....

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Last edited by HoTatII; 05-29-2018 at 11:47 PM.
HoTatII is offline  
post #10383 of 10905 Old 05-30-2018, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
HoTatII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Ok folks ...

Actually got two call-backs earlier today from the ops manager for KAZA/KHTV-CD, and the issue with the misconfigured metadata has ("finally") been fixed.

He greatfully thanked me and those with or access to TS readers like Trip and jmonier for discovering and alerting them to the discrepancy between their PAT's errant listing for the TSID as "1000." And the PSIP's TVCT correct one of "8157."

This turned out to be exactly the problem of which they were totally unaware of.

My OTA TiVo and Kitchen TV ATSC tuners are now receiving the stations just fine.

In addition he said the station's PSIP generator will be substantially upgraded sometime in June to provide title and program descriptions. And that while they'll never be a full power station, a new higher power transmitter and antenna will eventually be installed as well. Though I don't have a timing on that ...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Trip in VA, rdvegas and Sammy2 like this.
HoTatII is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10384 of 10905 Old 05-31-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,390
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 346
This is coming tomorrow to test out against the Televes.


Sammy2 is offline  
post #10385 of 10905 Old 05-31-2018, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
HoTatII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
This is coming tomorrow to test out against the Televes.

Yeah ... that's a good one too ...

In overkill (for my location anyway) I have it's bigger brother, the HD7697P mounted on the roof of a two story home.

Where it's causing me to get too much signal from the full power stations causing tuner overload problems on my TiVo by some of them.

Thus the rear of the TiVo has a melange of coax patch cords, UVCJs, and variable attenuators ....

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
HoTatII is offline  
post #10386 of 10905 Old 05-31-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,390
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 346
It says 45 miles but I'm at 47 miles. I think it'll still work fine.

With the update on the data, I'm going to try to tune 27.x again as is and see if anything changes. I'm thinking not but we shall see.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #10387 of 10905 Old 05-31-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,390
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Yeah ... that's a good one too ...

In overkill (for my location anyway) I have it's bigger brother, the HD7697P mounted on the roof of a two story home.

Where it's causing me to get too much signal from the full power stations causing tuner overload problems on my TiVo by some of them.

Thus the rear of the TiVo has a melange of coax patch cords, UVCJs, and variable attenuators ....

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Holy airwaves, Batman!

That thing is 14 feet long, over 4 feet wide and nearly 3 feet tall!

Sammy2 is offline  
post #10388 of 10905 Old 05-31-2018, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
HoTatII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Holy airwaves, Batman!

That thing is 14 feet long, over 4 feet wide and nearly 3 feet tall!
Yep, ... tell me about it ....

Thought at the time with all the signal splitting necessary to feed the ATSC tuners of 7 TVs in the house, that would sufficiently compensate for the very strong signal levels from using such a high gain fringe area antenna where I live.

But it isn't at least for the TiVo ....

Thus the need for attenuators at its input ...

I'll upload a photo of it later today ....

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Sammy2 likes this.
HoTatII is offline  
post #10389 of 10905 Old 06-11-2018, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,390
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Just reporting back.

I finally had a chance to test the Winegard over the weekend. It had the same reception quality as the Televes did inside on the second floor aimed out the window. Putting the entire antenna outside the window pulled in 54.1 just fine and it played in VLC from the HDHomeRun_Config_GUI app on my laptop.

Since the results were the same for the Winegard as the Televes inside the house I did not test the Televes outside as it was HOT in my attic by the time I even had the chance to do this due to other commitments this past weekend. I'm most confident that the Televes could pull in this channel if mounted outside but the SD version on 56.3 looks fine considering what the content is basically so it is probably not worth the effort and time to put it outside (IMHO).

Looking at build quality, the Televes is a far nicer build than the Winegard, especially where the Balun attaches to the antenna. Televes' connector here is first rate and makes a solid connection whereas the Winegard does not and seems to be a cheap connection from something out of the 80's and does not even properly snap together.

At first I was thinking I'd swap the antennas due to the Winegard being $40 less but when comparing the quality and the fact the Televes comes with a singnal booster, it is superior and every way and the Winegard is on its way back to Amazon, as defective, poor build quality.

If you're in the market for a new antenna I highly recommend checking out the Televes Antennas.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #10390 of 10905 Old 06-11-2018, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
HoTatII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Just reporting back.

I finally had a chance to test the Winegard over the weekend. It had the same reception quality as the Televes did inside on the second floor aimed out the window. Putting the entire antenna outside the window pulled in 54.1 just fine and it played in VLC from the HDHomeRun_Config_GUI app on my laptop.

Since the results were the same for the Winegard as the Televes inside the house I did not test the Televes outside as it was HOT in my attic by the time I even had the chance to do this due to other commitments this past weekend. I'm most confident that the Televes could pull in this channel if mounted outside but the SD version on 56.3 looks fine considering what the content is basically so it is probably not worth the effort and time to put it outside (IMHO).

Looking at build quality, the Televes is a far nicer build than the Winegard, especially where the Balun attaches to the antenna. Televes' connector here is first rate and makes a solid connection whereas the Winegard does not and seems to be a cheap connection from something out of the 80's and does not even properly snap together.

At first I was thinking I'd swap the antennas due to the Winegard being $40 less but when comparing the quality and the fact the Televes comes with a singnal booster, it is superior and every way and the Winegard is on its way back to Amazon, as defective, poor build quality.

If you're in the market for a new antenna I highly recommend checking out the Televes Antennas.
Yeah, me too ...

Have to use KDOC 56-3 on the OTA TiVo for now at least ...

Despite all the effort to get KAZA/KHTV-CD's OTA signal finally straightened out for my TiVo. I'm actually not using the TiVo for it right now and rely instead on DIRECTV's HD satellite feed for KAZA 54-1 or can use the OTA signal for KAZA picked-up by DIRECTV's AM21 ATSC tuner module connected to my Genie DVR.

The problem with the TiVo is that since KAZA/KHTV-CD is such a low power station, I must set the variable attenuator I have for the UHF band to prevent signal overload to near zero to pull it in.

But whenever I do that, then without any attenuation, full power station KFTR-46 will overload the TiVo tuners and suffer breakup when I try to watch or record any subchannels from that station. Which makes getTV, ESCAPE, Grit, and Quest TV unwatchable.

Also, as jmonier noticed earlier and you probably do too right now, that the PQ between 54-1 HD and 56-3 SD seemed to be the same?

Well ... there's a good reason for that as the studio ops. chief at KHTV during our conversation admitted to me that 54-1's feed was NOT native HD, but only upconverted SD ...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
HoTatII is offline  
post #10391 of 10905 Old 06-11-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,390
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 346
@HoTatII

In limited testing there was no real difference but this is on a 15" laptop. Playback of KDOC 56.3 SD on my 60" Plasma looks perfectly fine, even the commercial breaks are 16:9 and perfectly clear using all available apps for me..
  • WindowsMediaCenter (WMC) on an Ceton Echo Extender
  • SiliconDust HDHomeRun App on nVidia ShieldTV
  • Emby LiveTV DVR on ShieldTV

For me, case closed and there is no reason to struggle any longer with this one channel.

The biggest thing that came out of this is getting the Televes Antenna as it is a very fine piece of equipment that is in every way of far superior build quality to the Winegard.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #10392 of 10905 Old 06-12-2018, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
nikknightt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have a Hauppauge USB tuner running Wintv 8 I seldom use. Usually just for capturing to my PC..
Fired it up today but I can't pull in 58 KLCS. I saw some earlier comments about channel sharing..
What's the story? I tried scanning again & no luck.. Thanks..
nikknightt is offline  
post #10393 of 10905 Old 06-12-2018, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
HoTatII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post
I have a Hauppauge USB tuner running Wintv 8 I seldom use. Usually just for capturing to my PC..
Fired it up today but I can't pull in 58 KLCS. I saw some earlier comments about channel sharing..
What's the story? I tried scanning again & no luck.. Thanks..
Yes, last month KLCS surrendered it's spectrum on RF ch. 41 as part of the FCC incentive auction and entered into a sharing agreement with KCET on their broadcast ch. of RF 28. Each station also dropped one of their SD subchannels (FNX for KLCS and LINK+ for KCET) to create bandwidth for KLCS 58-1 to now broadcast in 720p HD.

Not sure why a rescan does not pick-up KLCS. Can you enter their new physical ch. manually into Windows 8 MC?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
HoTatII is offline  
post #10394 of 10905 Old 06-12-2018, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
HoTatII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
@HoTatII

In limited testing there was no real difference but this is on a 15" laptop. Playback of KDOC 56.3 SD on my 60" Plasma looks perfectly fine, even the commercial breaks are 16:9 and perfectly clear using all available apps for me..
  • WindowsMediaCenter (WMC) on an Ceton Echo Extender
  • SiliconDust HDHomeRun App on nVidia ShieldTV
  • Emby LiveTV DVR on ShieldTV

For me, case closed and there is no reason to struggle any longer with this one channel.

The biggest thing that came out of this is getting the Televes Antenna as it is a very fine piece of equipment that is in every way of far superior build quality to the Winegard.
Well now that I found out 54-1 KAZA is not native HD, but only upconverted SD, I agree. And have removed 54-1 and 27-1 to 27-5 from my TiVo ch. list for this reason and since they're not receivable anyway with the amount of attenuation I must add to prevent KFTR-46, who's subchannels are much more important to me, from breaking up.

Though I am looking at a tunable notch filter to see if I can solve the overload problem with KFTR to reduce just its signal strength and not that of the entire UHF band that the variable attenuator does.

https://www.amazon.com/Tunable-notch...s+notch+filter

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
HoTatII is offline  
post #10395 of 10905 Old 06-12-2018, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,390
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Well now that I found out 54-1 KAZA is not native HD, but only upconverted SD, I agree. And have removed 54-1 and 27-1 to 27-5 from my TiVo ch. list for this reason and since they're not receivable anyway with the amount of attenuation I must add to prevent KFTR-46, who's subchannels are much more important to me, from breaking up.

Though I am looking at a tunable notch filter to see if I can solve the overload problem with KFTR to reduce just its signal strength and not that of the entire UHF band that the variable attenuator does.

https://www.amazon.com/Tunable-notch...s+notch+filter

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
That sounds like WAY too much work and expense! It is still SD and already available on 56.3 so why bother?

Until it is in HD there's no reason to put much effort into it.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #10396 of 10905 Old 06-12-2018, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
nikknightt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Yes, last month KLCS surrendered it's spectrum on RF ch. 41 as part of the FCC incentive auction and entered into a sharing agreement with KCET on their broadcast ch. of RF 28. Each station also dropped one of their SD subchannels (FNX for KLCS and LINK+ for KCET) to create bandwidth for KLCS 58-1 to now broadcast in 720p HD.
Not sure why a rescan does not pick-up KLCS. Can you enter their new physical ch. manually into Windows 8 MC? Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response.. However, I was referring to the Hauppauge Wintv 8 app. It's their own TV management software. With that & NextPVR I can't pull in 58.1 (no signal) but 58.2 KIDS-TV is strong. However, I did try your suggestion of Windows Media Center and 58.1 has a strong signal.. Very Strange..
I know this isn't a support thread for my USB tuner but any ideas why it comes in strong on 1 of the 3 apps? On a side note, I can still receive FNX & Link as 24.2 & 28.2 with Wintv8.. I have this tuner. HVR-950Q

Last edited by nikknightt; 06-12-2018 at 11:25 PM.
nikknightt is offline  
post #10397 of 10905 Old 06-13-2018, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
HoTatII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post
Thanks for the response.. However, I was referring to the Hauppauge Wintv 8 app. It's their own TV management software. With that & NextPVR I can't pull in 58.1 (no signal) but 58.2 KIDS-TV is strong. However, I did try your suggestion of Windows Media Center and 58.1 has a strong signal.. Very Strange..
I know this isn't a support thread for my USB tuner but any ideas why it comes in strong on 1 of the 3 apps? On a side note, I can still receive FNX & Link as 24.2 & 28.2 with Wintv8.. I have this tuner. HVR-950Q
Does un/reinstalling those apps and/or rerunning the channel scan and setup for them do no good?

And yes, I realize PBS's KVCR-24 carries FNX too, but was just referring to KLCS dropping it and the former subchannel 58-4 it was on.

I also tried to say KCET-28 removed "LINK plus" or "LINK+" from 28-3, not "LINK" on 28-2, and replaced it with NHK World formally on 28-4. Then removed subchannel 28-4 altogether.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
HoTatII is offline  
post #10398 of 10905 Old 06-13-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,390
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Guess I need to contact Schedules Direct because my 58-1 shows it as PBS?


Emby Screen Grab on my phone.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sammy2 is offline  
post #10399 of 10905 Old 06-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
HoTatII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Yeah it is ...

As I understand, a PBS station o&o by the LAUSD ...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
HoTatII is offline  
post #10400 of 10905 Old 06-13-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,390
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Yeah it is ...

As I understand, a PBS station o&o by the LAUSD ...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
So KLCS-DT is supposed to be PBS and nothing is wrong?

Sammy2 is offline  
post #10401 of 10905 Old 06-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
HoTatII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
So KLCS-DT is supposed to be PBS and nothing is wrong?
What do you mean?

Why should it be wrong?

AFAIK, it's a PBS affiliate station o&o by the LAUSD.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
HoTatII is offline  
post #10402 of 10905 Old 06-13-2018, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,390
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 346
I'm sorry. I guess I misunderstood your earlier post as to what is supposed to be on that channel. The PBS station is correct then. Thanks!

Sammy2 is offline  
post #10403 of 10905 Old 06-20-2018, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,816
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Anybody else seeing KOCE 50.1 off the air via OTA/ATSC roof antenna?

I noticed it first when my WMC 8PM scheduled recording of "Nature" failed because of "NO TV SIGNAL". At that same time, Spectrum 1221 (which carries KOCE) was also absent its signal. A bit later 1221 was back, but I don't think it was "Nature". I think it was some other feed. But Spectrum may get its 1221 stream sourced some other way rather than via the ordinary OTA transmission.

It's now 9PM, and KOCE 50.1 is still off the air. 1221 is showing what appears to be the correct episode of "Nova". But again, if Spectrum gets its source from some fiber feed rather than OTA, perhaps that still explains the discrepancy.

Anyway, anybody else see the same symptom? I'm in Marina Del Rey 90292. Curiously, channel 58.1 is also gone.


Looking at things with TSReaderLite, it seems that the previous KOCE channels 50.1 through 50.5 now appear carried as sub-channels of channel 18 (KSCI?) group. For example, 50.1 PBS-HD is shown as program 11 of channel 18. Looks like there was a recent shift of broadcast methodology, and I wasn't aware it was coming.

Also noticed that 58.1 has moved over to program 4 of channel 28.

I have now just done a delete all / re-scan of my OTA/ATSC channels (though the Hauppauge Quad-4 ATSC 4-tuner card in my HTPC) and the new location source for both 50.1 as well as 58.1 has been found. I once again have content through WMC for those two channels.

Never mind!

Last edited by DSperber; 06-20-2018 at 11:59 PM.
DSperber is offline  
post #10404 of 10905 Old 06-21-2018, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
nikknightt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Looking at things with TSReaderLite, it seems that the previous KOCE channels 50.1 through 50.5 now appear carried as sub-channels of channel 18 (KSCI?) group. For example, 50.1 PBS-HD is shown as program 11 of channel 18. Looks like there was a recent shift of broadcast methodology, and I wasn't aware it was coming. Also noticed that 58.1 has moved over to program 4 of channel 28.
Thanks for this info. I can find KOCE & KLCS again..
KOCE shows as 18.11_CHNL & KLCS as 28.4_N_H_K using my Hauppauge WinTV8 app..
However, With WMC KLCS is still 58.1 & KOCE is nowhere to be found.. Not under 18 or 50..
nikknightt is offline  
post #10405 of 10905 Old 06-21-2018, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,816
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post
Thanks for this info. I can find KOCE & KLCS again..
KOCE shows as 18.11_CHNL & KLCS as 28.4_N_H_K using my Hauppauge WinTV8 app..
However, With WMC KLCS is still 58.1 & KOCE is nowhere to be found.. Not under 18 or 50..
Don't know what to say. You might communicate with Hauppauge about a possible problem in their WinTV8 channel scanning setup functionality.

The two channels are still supposed to display in Guide and onscreen info (in WMC, real TV's with hardware ATSC tuner, WinTV8, etc.) as virtual channels 50.1 and 58, no matter what digital ATSC channel number and digital sub-channel they are carried through. The "service name"

As it turns out, KOCE (50.1) is now carried as program 11 (i.e. "channel 11" shown in TSReader, which I speak of as "sub-channel 11") within OTA/ATSC digital channel 18 (497 Mhz). Technically, this is "PMT PID 0x0130 - Progr. 11". In detail this is Program number 50.1/11, PCR on PID 305 (0x0131), Service name "PBS-HD" (note this is NOT "KOCE") , Virtual channel number 50.1, Elementary stream PID 305 (0x0131) carries the MPEG-2 video.

And KLCS (58.1) is now carried as program 4 within OTA/ATSC digital channel 28 (557 Mhz). Technically, this is "PMT PID 0x0090 - Progr. 4". In detail this is Program number 58.1/4 PCR on PID 145 (0x0091), Service name "KLCS HD", Virtual channel number 58.1, Elementary stream PID 145 (0x0091) carries the MPEG-2 video.

Note that digital channel 28 carries 6 programs on the six sub-channels being used. KCET uses the first three of these (1-3) and KLCS is the other three (4-6).

And Digital channel 18 carries 11 programs on the eleven sub-channels being used. KSCI uses the first six of these (1-6) and KOCE uses the other five (11-15).

Anyway, with TSReaderLite (using the Hauppauge Generic HD ATSC tuner interface) the following results are provided in my scans of channels 18 (frequency 497 Mhz) and 28 (557 Mhz):






I have a Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD PCI Express TV Tuner Card 1609 (4 tuners) running under Win7 along with my Ceton 6-tuner cablecard-enable tuner card. I don't use WinTV8 because I need support for the Spectrum cable channels as well. Before going to WMC and Ceton back in 2010 I used to use BeyondTV (from SnapStream), but they also didn't support cablecard-enabled Ceton tuner card. And besides SnapStream and BeyondTV is no longer.

As I stated, I had no 50.1 and no 58.1 until I "stumbled" across them looking through the results of SCAN for each of the possible digital channels where they might now be. I do remember the discussion a while ago about 58 moving, but I must have missed the mention of 50 moving as well. Once I went into WMC -> Tasks -> Settings -> TV _ TV Signal -> Scan for More Channels, pushed the DELETE button to get rid of everything I had, and then pushed the SCAN button, I ended up with about 157 digital OTA/ATSC channels (can't recall exactly now and I don't want to do this again as it affects my Guide and I have to then re-edit stuff). I also went into TV Signal -> Digital TV Antenna Signal Strength so that WMC (and I) could confirm everthing and that sure enough the new sources for 50.1 and 58.1 could be proven out. Everything looked good.

And sure enough, when I finally got back to refresh my Guide info (I use elegant EPG123 Guide mechanism replacement rather than the awful Microsoft/Rovi Guide mechanism that replaced the acceptable Microsoft/Zap2it Guide mechanism a few years ago). If you're not using it for your WMC, you should. It requires a $25/year subscription to Schedules Direct for the raw Guide Data used by EPG123 but otherwise is free for EPG123 (although you really should "donate" to the developer for this remarkable piece of software dealing with keeping WMC running just fine on Win7, now that that Microsoft has abandoned it.

Last edited by DSperber; 06-21-2018 at 03:03 AM.
DSperber is offline  
post #10406 of 10905 Old 06-21-2018, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Teeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Torrance,Cal. 90503
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Hey Teeps ...

BTW, what does your TiVo show if anything for channels 54-1 (MeTV HD) and 27-1 to 27-5 (Spanish, Arabic, and infomercial programs)?
Sorry I just saw this...
But to answer your question: my TiVo iis set up to tune ch2 thru ch13 and some sub channels on 5 & 7.
Cheers!

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
Teeps is online now  
post #10407 of 10905 Old 06-21-2018, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
HoTatII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Don't know what to say. You might communicate with Hauppauge about a possible problem in their WinTV8 channel scanning setup functionality.

The two channels are still supposed to display in Guide and onscreen info (in WMC, real TV's with hardware ATSC tuner, WinTV8, etc.) as virtual channels 50.1 and 58, no matter what digital ATSC channel number and digital sub-channel they are carried through. The "service name"

As it turns out, KOCE (50.1) is now carried as program 11 (i.e. "channel 11" shown in TSReader, which I speak of as "sub-channel 11") within OTA/ATSC digital channel 18 (497 Mhz). Technically, this is "PMT PID 0x0130 - Progr. 11". In detail this is Program number 50.1/11, PCR on PID 305 (0x0131), Service name "PBS-HD" (note this is NOT "KOCE") , Virtual channel number 50.1, Elementary stream PID 305 (0x0131) carries the MPEG-2 video.

And KLCS (58.1) is now carried as program 4 within OTA/ATSC digital channel 28 (557 Mhz). Technically, this is "PMT PID 0x0090 - Progr. 4". In detail this is Program number 58.1/4 PCR on PID 145 (0x0091), Service name "KLCS HD", Virtual channel number 58.1, Elementary stream PID 145 (0x0091) carries the MPEG-2 video.

Note that digital channel 28 carries 6 programs on the six sub-channels being used. KCET uses the first three of these (1-3) and KLCS is the other three (4-6).

And Digital channel 18 carries 11 programs on the eleven sub-channels being used. KSCI uses the first six of these (1-6) and KOCE uses the other five (11-15).

Anyway, with TSReaderLite (using the Hauppauge Generic HD ATSC tuner interface) the following results are provided in my scans of channels 18 (frequency 497 Mhz) and 28 (557 Mhz):






I have a Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD PCI Express TV Tuner Card 1609 (4 tuners) running under Win7 along with my Ceton 6-tuner cablecard-enable tuner card. I don't use WinTV8 because I need support for the Spectrum cable channels as well. Before going to WMC and Ceton back in 2010 I used to use BeyondTV (from SnapStream), but they also didn't support cablecard-enabled Ceton tuner card. And besides SnapStream and BeyondTV is no longer.

As I stated, I had no 50.1 and no 58.1 until I "stumbled" across them looking through the results of SCAN for each of the possible digital channels where they might now be. I do remember the discussion a while ago about 58 moving, but I must have missed the mention of 50 moving as well. Once I went into WMC -> Tasks -> Settings -> TV _ TV Signal -> Scan for More Channels, pushed the DELETE button to get rid of everything I had, and then pushed the SCAN button, I ended up with about 157 digital OTA/ATSC channels (can't recall exactly now and I don't want to do this again as it affects my Guide and I have to then re-edit stuff). I also went into TV Signal -> Digital TV Antenna Signal Strength so that WMC (and I) could confirm everthing and that sure enough the new sources for 50.1 and 58.1 could be proven out. Everything looked good.

And sure enough, when I finally got back to refresh my Guide info (I use elegant EPG123 Guide mechanism replacement rather than the awful Microsoft/Rovi Guide mechanism that replaced the acceptable Microsoft/Zap2it Guide mechanism a few years ago). If you're not using it for your WMC, you should. It requires a $25/year subscription to Schedules Direct for the raw Guide Data used by EPG123 but otherwise is free for EPG123 (although you really should "donate" to the developer for this remarkable piece of software dealing with keeping WMC running just fine on Win7, now that that Microsoft has abandoned it.
Hey thanks for this ...

Rabbitears also has this updated TS metadata too for KOCE-50 (PBS).

Obviously KOCE began its CSA with KSCI-18 as part of the repack movement as did KLCS some weeks back with KCET-28. To which unfortunately I'll have to wait once again for TiVo/Rovi to adjust the guide on my OTA TiVo to receive KOCE properly.

A search for new channels scan on the TiVo can find KOCE on their new frequency of course, but without any EPG info. since that must come over the internet from TiVo/Rovi's servers and not a station's PSIP tables sent OTA.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
HoTatII is offline  
post #10408 of 10905 Old 06-21-2018, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
HoTatII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Los Angeles
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Sorry I just saw this...
But to answer your question: my TiVo iis set up to tune ch2 thru ch13 and some sub channels on 5 & 7.
Cheers!
No problem, not necessary for you to check any longer...

That issue was straightened out around a couple of weeks ago.

One of the key entries in KAZA/KHTV's metadata tables was misconfigured and corrected by the Station's ops manager after I contacted him and informed him of the problem.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
HoTatII is offline  
post #10409 of 10905 Old 07-21-2018, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
jmonier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 116
KRCA virtual 62-1 & 2 has started the process of transitioning to subchannels of physical 7. It is now visible there, but is also still on physical 35 (as of 7/21 early AM). Having the same virtual channels on two physical channels could cause problems so I DON'T recommend doing a rescan until physical 35 goes off the air which presumably will happen soon.

This is part of a game of Musical Chairs which will include KTLA moving from physical 31 to 35 and then KCBS vacating 43 for 31.

EDIT: As of 7/23 AM physical 35 is off the air.
phildaant and Sammy2 like this.

Last edited by jmonier; 07-23-2018 at 07:14 AM.
jmonier is online now  
post #10410 of 10905 Old 07-24-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,390
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
KRCA virtual 62-1 & 2 has started the process of transitioning to subchannels of physical 7. It is now visible there, but is also still on physical 35 (as of 7/21 early AM). Having the same virtual channels on two physical channels could cause problems so I DON'T recommend doing a rescan until physical 35 goes off the air which presumably will happen soon.

This is part of a game of Musical Chairs which will include KTLA moving from physical 31 to 35 and then KCBS vacating 43 for 31.

EDIT: As of 7/23 AM physical 35 is off the air.
Oh joy! I'll look at my lineup and see what gives..
phildaant likes this.

Sammy2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
ch 2.1 , ch 43.1 , grand wega , kcbs , pasadena ca

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off