Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 352 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 455Likes

post #10531 of 10853 Old 01-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I notice recently that I'm getting MeTV on both 54.1 and 56.3. Has there been a frequency change or repack recently or did they up the broadcast power?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
KAZA 54/KHTV-CD 6 have increased their transmitter power and/or antenna gain and/or coverage on the new repack channel RF 22.

Was happy to see my OTA TiVo now showing a standard 72% signal strength for these stations at first. But strangely when I have to insert the necessary ~12 db of attenuation on the UHF band to prevent KFTR 46 from overloading the TiVo's tuners and breaking up when viewing or recording programs from that station. KAZA/KHTV reception drops to only 50%.

Certainly a lot better than before when the external UHF attenuator would completely wipe out reception of low power KAZA/KHTV. But was hoping the signal drop would be to somewhere in the acceptable 60s as customarily happens so I can keep the attenuator in all the time. Not all the way down to 50%

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 10853 Old 01-04-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post
No, this is nothing new. I have noticed that ch. 54.1 has been carrying the identical program material as ch. 56.3 for a long time; at least a year, I believe.
Some of us have not been getting 54.1 until now.

post #10533 of 10853 Old 01-04-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post
No, this is nothing new. I have noticed that ch. 54.1 has been carrying the identical program material as ch. 56.3 for a long time; at least a year, I believe.
No, Sammy2 knows about the duplication ....

But he could not receive KAZA/KHTV at his location previously before this latest repack movement.

Sammy2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10534 of 10853 Old 01-04-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
KAZA 54/KHTV-CD 6 have increased their transmitter power and/or antenna gain and/or coverage on the new repack channel RF 22.

Was happy to see my OTA TiVo now showing a standard 72% signal strength for these stations at first. But strangely when I have to insert the necessary ~12 db of attenuation on the UHF band to prevent KFTR 46 from overloading the TiVo's tuners and breaking up when viewing or recording programs from that station. KAZA/KHTV reception drops to only 50%.

Certainly a lot better than before when the external UHF attenuator would completely wipe out reception of low power KAZA/KHTV. But was hoping the signal drop would be to somewhere in the acceptable 60s as customarily happens so I can keep the attenuator in all the time. Not all the way down to 50%

Ditch the TiVo and get an HDHR Connect Quatro! I'm not having this issue at all plus you can bypass crappy Rovi Guide Data and use Gracenote AND watch outside your local network with Emby.

post #10535 of 10853 Old 01-04-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
No, Sammy2 knows about the duplication ....

But he could not receive KAZA/KHTV at his location previously before this latest repack movement.

Do you know when the repack occurred?

post #10536 of 10853 Old 01-04-2019, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you know when the repack occurred?
Apparently back on 12/20 according to Falcon_77's post #10485 .

Same date another station, KPAX 30, changed their RF channel as well to 24.

Sammy2 likes this.
post #10537 of 10853 Old 01-04-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Apparently back on 12/20 according to Falcon_77's post #10485 .

Same date another station, KPAX 30, changed their RF channel as well to 24.

SiliconDust Tuners Scan nightly so I didn't skip a beat but I'll need to go back through and hide the channels I don't want to see in the guide.

post #10538 of 10853 Old 01-05-2019, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipkow View Post
Does anyone know what happened to ION TV, 30.1? It seems to be off the air and I can't find it on a re-scan.
Thanks HoTatII; getting ION on 24.3 now. I can see Mt. Wilson from my roof (where antenna is), so can receive most L.A. channels.
post #10539 of 10853 Old 01-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone else having reception problems with KAZA 54/KHTV 6?

Began last night when the signal went out completely. Now it's barely receivable and unviewable with major breakup and pixelization.

Wouldn't mind it so much for the loss of MeTV as its duplicated on KDOC 56-3. Plus DIRECTV's local feed of 54-1 is just fine. But the loss of the DECADES channel is annoying to some here that were viewing the weekly marathon series every Sat. and Sun.

"Renegade" this week ...

rdvegas likes this.
post #10540 of 10853 Old 01-07-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Anyone else having reception problems with KAZA 54/KHTV 6?

Began last night when the signal went out completely. Now it's barely receivable and unviewable with major breakup and pixelization.

Wouldn't mind it so much for the loss of MeTV as its duplicated on KDOC 56-3. Plus DIRECTV's local feed of 54-1 is just fine. But the loss of the DECADES channel is annoying to some here that were viewing the weekly marathon series every Sat. and Sun.

"Renegade" this week ...

AGAIN?

Let me check mine.

BRB

post #10541 of 10853 Old 01-07-2019, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
AGAIN?

Let me check mine.

BRB

Actually KAZA/KHTV came back sometime yesterday, but now they're out again ... sign ...

Just sat down to eat some breakfast and wanted to watch the classic sitcoms "Family Affair" and next "Petticoat Junction" on 54-2 (DECADES). But no soap ... OTA signal is out again.

DIRECTV is still broadcasting 54-1 (MeTV) over thier local satellite feed just fine, no doubt by means of their professional head-in TV reception equipment of course.

But the OTA reception for us consumers is really erratic since the latest repack transition.

phildaant likes this.
post #10542 of 10853 Old 01-09-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 2899
Quote:
Ditch the TiVo and get an HDHR Connect Quatro! I'm not having this issue at all plus you can bypass crappy Rovi Guide Data and use Gracenote AND watch outside your local network with Emby.
Apples and oranges you guys are on different sides on the mountain, and Gracenote has it's errors also.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #10543 of 10853 Old 01-11-2019, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Antenna aiming is as much an art as it is a science, especially if you're behind an obstruction, as your 1Edge TVFool report indicates.

- Trip
Hey Trip;

After very knowledgeable poster on the "iamanedgecutter" forum corrected me about the status of local KVME 20, which is assigned to our DMA, but not available from Mt. Wilson/Mt. Harvard.

I guess Rabbitears really needs to upgrade its data which is what I was going on when I posted a complaint about what I thought was incorrect guide info. about KVME in DIRECTV's OTA database.

http://iamanedgecutter.com/showthrea...ll=1#post54698

post #10544 of 10853 Old 01-11-2019, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
I have no idea what you're asking me to do. KVME is in the Los Angeles DMA, but that has nothing to do with how it's listed on RabbitEars. Since it is not viewable in the Los Angeles area, it is correctly listed in the Mammoth Lakes area, as seen here:

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...&callsign=kvme

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10545 of 10853 Old 01-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
I have no idea what you're asking me to do. KVME is in the Los Angeles DMA, but that has nothing to do with how it's listed on RabbitEars. Since it is not viewable in the Los Angeles area, it is correctly listed in the Mammoth Lakes area, as seen here:

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...&callsign=kvme

- Trip
But don't you think the evidence kyl416 posted on that forum suggest that KVME actually broadcast two channels with the primary 20-1 has Jewelry TV and H&I is on subchannel 20-2?

Or do you have a recent TS Reader data capture of that station that proves the current Rabbitears listing is correct?

post #10546 of 10853 Old 01-11-2019, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Ah, now I understand. Your initial message only mentioned its location in the DMA, and nothing about the channel lineup.

I've made a correction.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10547 of 10853 Old 01-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I live in manhattan beach 90266, using the winegard elite outdoor but I still can't seem to get Fox HD and ABC without some glitches. I emailed winegard and they say they cant help and that's the antenna they would have recommended.

Antenna is 30ft on the roof, it's pointed at the right place but there is a small hill in front of me. Any amplifiers you'd recommend? I have the small Winegard LNA-100 doesn't do much. this is all without a splitter which I'd like to split it to 3 tvs. seems all the splitters are 4.

Right now watching the game with no glitches but it's inconsistent. i'm using hdhomerun. last week it was 100% signal stregnth 50% signal quality but 18% symbol quality.
right now i'm getting 100% signal strength, 58% signal quality and 100% symbol quality. Strange..

7.1 ABC i get 100% signal strength 51 % quality and none on symbol quality.
post #10548 of 10853 Old 01-12-2019, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

spoke too soon. just dropped to 100% signal strength, 54% signal quality and 66% symbol quality. sun is starting to go down so maybe that's part of it. it's glitching now
post #10549 of 10853 Old 01-14-2019, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
spoke too soon. just dropped to 100% signal strength, 54% signal quality and 66% symbol quality. sun is starting to go down so maybe that's part of it. it's glitching now

If it degrades when the sun is setting, you might want check some lights in your house, to see if they are causing some interference.
post #10550 of 10853 Old 01-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-rdx View Post
If it degrades when the sun is setting, you might want check some lights in your house, to see if they are causing some interference.

I've had interference problems with LED lights (even expensive, brand name ones).

The other thing that you might check is your coax connectors. When I have a loose coax connector the first stations affected are ABC 7 (real channel 7) and channel 9 (again, real channel 9). I've been told that VHF signals are better with loose connections, but my experience is exactly the opposite.
post #10551 of 10853 Old 01-14-2019, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm in Oxnard and I'm finally cutting the cord and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a roof antenna for my location?

Here is my tvfool report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038d6ccea14e1

Local best buy has a clearstream 4max, is that overkill or would a RCA Yagi be good enough?

I'm new to this antenna stuff, thanks.
post #10552 of 10853 Old 01-15-2019, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

I'm also in Oxnard, a couple of miles farther from the stations

I started with a Clearstream 4v and it worked pretty well. I did have some issues with the high VHF stations (ABC - 7, Ind. - 9, Fox - 11 and MyTV - 13). I switched to the Channel Master CM 4228 that is carried at Frys (as well as the CM site), and the reception is better on those stations. Channel 9 is the weakest, though, and it sometimes is iffy. I also get Santa Barbara's ABC - 3 KEYT with both antennas. I think they pick up that signal from the backside of the antennas.

TV Fool doesn't list CBS - 2 any longer for some reason, but it and the other stations in the UHF band come in pretty clear. It all starts to fall apart when the power rating gets to -80db or below (meaning -81, -82db, etc.). Don't expect to bring those stations in reliably.

I would recommend a pre-amplifier like a Winegard LNA-200 or RCA TVPRAMP1Z as close to the antenna as you can get. I spent more on a CM 7778 pre-amplifier but either one of those two would work as well, and they are about half the price.

My set up is antenna on roof, 15 ft coax into attic and into the the amplifier, out of the amplifier to a splitter rated 5 to 900 mhz (don't use one rated up to 2.5 ghz as those work better for cable and sometimes have more loss on the lower frequencies) and then to my TV in the living room and the other side to a HD Homerun network tuner. You can split the signal once like that, but I have not been successful splitting the signal any more, even with expensive distribution amplifiers. BUT, a two channel ota DVR does work on each of those lines.

My brother in law took my Clearstream 4v and used it at his house, with similar results.

Are you planning on using any kind of antenna DVR? I've used three so far and can give you my impressions of them (ChannelMaster DVR+, ChannelMaster Stream+ and HD Homerun Duo).
yesitsmario likes this.
post #10553 of 10853 Old 01-15-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I'm also in Oxnard, a couple of miles farther from the stations

I started with a Clearstream 4v and it worked pretty well. I did have some issues with the high VHF stations (ABC - 7, Ind. - 9, Fox - 11 and MyTV - 13). I switched to the Channel Master CM 4228 that is carried at Frys (as well as the CM site), and the reception is better on those stations. Channel 9 is the weakest, though, and it sometimes is iffy. I also get Santa Barbara's ABC - 3 KEYT with both antennas. I think they pick up that signal from the backside of the antennas.

TV Fool doesn't list CBS - 2 any longer for some reason, but it and the other stations in the UHF band come in pretty clear. It all starts to fall apart when the power rating gets to -80db or below (meaning -81, -82db, etc.). Don't expect to bring those stations in reliably.

I would recommend a pre-amplifier like a Winegard LNA-200 or RCA TVPRAMP1Z as close to the antenna as you can get. I spent more on a CM 7778 pre-amplifier but either one of those two would work as well, and they are about half the price.

My set up is antenna on roof, 15 ft coax into attic and into the the amplifier, out of the amplifier to a splitter rated 5 to 900 mhz (don't use one rated up to 2.5 ghz as those work better for cable and sometimes have more loss on the lower frequencies) and then to my TV in the living room and the other side to a HD Homerun network tuner. You can split the signal once like that, but I have not been successful splitting the signal any more, even with expensive distribution amplifiers. BUT, a two channel ota DVR does work on each of those lines.

My brother in law took my Clearstream 4v and used it at his house, with similar results.

Are you planning on using any kind of antenna DVR? I've used three so far and can give you my impressions of them (ChannelMaster DVR+, ChannelMaster Stream+ and HD Homerun Duo).
Thanks for the information and advice.

I think I'll try the CM 4228 first. Fry's also has the Channel Master CM-3020, any opinion on that?

Do you get Me-TV?

As far as DVR, I was looking at the HomeRun Connect 4 tuner since I have 4 TVs with 4K Fire Sticks on them.
post #10554 of 10853 Old 01-15-2019, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsmario View Post
Thanks for the information and advice.

I think I'll try the CM 4228 first. Fry's also has the Channel Master CM-3020, any opinion on that?

Do you get Me-TV?

As far as DVR, I was looking at the HomeRun Connect 4 tuner since I have 4 TVs with 4K Fire Sticks on them.
The VHF stations are the hardest to bring in, and the CM 3020 has 8.6 db of gain in the VHF band. That's much better than the 5 db of gain I get with the 4228. If you can install the CM 3020 (it's pretty big, at over 12 1/2 feet long and about 8' wide), then I would go for it.

MeTV is on channel 54.1 ... here's a screenshot I just took of it on my computer: https://www.screencast.com/t/VWxG8pHBjt That's the HD Homerun Duo channel interface. Channel 13.1 is MyTV ... I was thinking it was MeTV.

The HD Homerun has a strange channel guide ... not bad, but different. It's not a grid design but what they call a "slice guide". Here's a screenshot of looking ahead on channel 2, CBS: https://www.screencast.com/t/wZRY6v5RWdRL

For the HD Homerun you will need either a computer to store programs on, or a NAS device, if you are going to use their DVR. It costs $35 a year for the DVR service. I have it recording to a Windows 7 computer that is also a Plex media server. It records the programs in regular MP4 files so you can copy them to your phone or tablet for traveling, etc. They have two products coming out soon that they showed at CES this month, an all-in-one box plus harddrive with two tuners, and then a 2 TB storage device that will work as the DVR storage for any of their products.
yesitsmario likes this.
post #10555 of 10853 Old 01-15-2019, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-rdx View Post
hmm, but nothing really i can do if that's the case, not sure if it was that or just back and forth poor signal. Any suggestion on what I can add or replace?
post #10556 of 10853 Old 01-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've had interference problems with LED lights (even expensive, brand name ones).

The other thing that you might check is your coax connectors. When I have a loose coax connector the first stations affected are ABC 7 (real channel 7) and channel 9 (again, real channel 9). I've been told that VHF signals are better with loose connections, but my experience is exactly the opposite.

yup, coax is tight. Which amplifier should I get? and which splitter? or should I get an amplified splitter?
post #10557 of 10853 Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
The VHF stations are the hardest to bring in, and the CM 3020 has 8.6 db of gain in the VHF band. That's much better than the 5 db of gain I get with the 4228. If you can install the CM 3020 (it's pretty big, at over 12 1/2 feet long and about 8' wide), then I would go for it.

MeTV is on channel 54.1 ... here's a screenshot I just took of it on my computer: https://www.screencast.com/t/VWxG8pHBjt That's the HD Homerun Duo channel interface. Channel 13.1 is MyTV ... I was thinking it was MeTV.

The HD Homerun has a strange channel guide ... not bad, but different. It's not a grid design but what they call a "slice guide". Here's a screenshot of looking ahead on channel 2, CBS: https://www.screencast.com/t/wZRY6v5RWdRL

For the HD Homerun you will need either a computer to store programs on, or a NAS device, if you are going to use their DVR. It costs $35 a year for the DVR service. I have it recording to a Windows 7 computer that is also a Plex media server. It records the programs in regular MP4 files so you can copy them to your phone or tablet for traveling, etc. They have two products coming out soon that they showed at CES this month, an all-in-one box plus harddrive with two tuners, and then a 2 TB storage device that will work as the DVR storage for any of their products.
Thanks for the screen shots. I feel pretty confident in getting most of the main channels now.

Had no idea the CM 3020 was that huge, may pass on that now.

Still looking at DVR solutions, Amazon's Recast seems almost perfect, except it's only 2 streams at once.

Tivo is also coming out with a fire tv app, which would eliminate the need for Tivo Minis. I would have to wait for a deal on Tivo Bolt OTA w/ Lifetime Subscription.
post #10558 of 10853 Old 01-16-2019, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
I live in manhattan beach 90266, using the winegard elite outdoor but I still can't seem to get Fox HD and ABC without some glitches. I emailed winegard and they say they cant help and that's the antenna they would have recommended.

Antenna is 30ft on the roof, it's pointed at the right place but there is a small hill in front of me. Any amplifiers you'd recommend? I have the small Winegard LNA-100 doesn't do much. this is all without a splitter which I'd like to split it to 3 tvs. seems all the splitters are 4.

Right now watching the game with no glitches but it's inconsistent. i'm using hdhomerun. last week it was 100% signal stregnth 50% signal quality but 18% symbol quality.
right now i'm getting 100% signal strength, 58% signal quality and 100% symbol quality. Strange..

7.1 ABC i get 100% signal strength 51 % quality and none on symbol quality.
Based on TV Fool for 90266 you should not need an amplifier. Try removing the LNA-100 and see if your signal quality improves. It's really common that using an amplifier when you don't need one just degrades a good signal. If the antenna you have is the Winegard Elite 7550, with the black plastic body, just don't use the LNA-100 inline. Don't just unplug the power; remove the LNA-100 completely.

Each splitter weakens the signal by 50%. A 4-way splitter gives 4 ports at 25% of the original signal strength. It's hard to find a 3-way splitter that isn't a 4-way with a plugged port, with you still getting 25% / 25% and 25%. There are a few. Look at SolidSignal.com for some options. When I looked I couldn't find a 25 /25/50 three way; all I saw was expensive ones that were something like 25/25/38 ... there's some weird math thing going on.

Anyway, a two-way splitter gives you two outputs at 50% each. An addditional splitter on one leg gives you a total of three cables, one at 50%, and two at 25%, plus the loss through the splitters.

If you are using a HD Homerun with two tuners remember that signal is being split with a built in "distribution amplifier" inside the HD Homerun to feed the two tuners. So if you started with a good signal, split it four ways, then the HD Homerun splits one 25% feed off that splitter you have 12.5% of the signal to each tuner in the HD Homerun.

Where are you seeing the signal strength meter? On your TV? The signal strength at 100% doesn't mean anything if there's an amplifier in line before that signal strength meter. It will be 100% even without an image because the amplifier boosts bad signals or no signals to 100% too.
rdvegas likes this.

Last edited by fshagan; 01-16-2019 at 06:31 AM.
post #10559 of 10853 Old 01-16-2019, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Each splitter weakens the signal by 50%. A 4-way splitter gives 4 ports at 25% of the original signal strength. It's hard to find a 3-way splitter that isn't a 4-way with a plugged port, with you still getting 25% / 25% and 25%. There are a few. Look at SolidSignal.com for some options. When I looked I couldn't find a 25 /25/50 three way; all I saw was expensive ones that were something like 25/25/38 ... there's some weird math thing going on. ... .
Just to note;

I've found 3-way *balanced* splitters that deliver 33%/33%/33% signal strength, or about a 5 db loss on each output port, easy to find and some inexpensive online at least.

That is they're internally comprised of a 5 db tap with a 3 db splitter connected to the trunk output leg.

But just make sure you include the term "balanced" in the internet search for a 3-way splitter.

In fact I'm using one in my bedroom right now to split the antenna feed to the TV set's internal ATSC tuner, an OTA Tivo, and a DIRECTV OTA tuner module called an "AM21."

(And nope, as the AM21 indicates, the family here haven't "cut the cord" yet )

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #10560 of 10853 Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just to note;

I've found 3-way *balanced* splitters that deliver 33%/33%/33% signal strength, or about a 5 db loss on each output port, easy to find and some inexpensive online at least.

That is they're internally comprised of a 5 db tap with a 3 db splitter connected to the trunk output leg.

Oh, thanks for that! I just ordered one. My antenna signal is too weak to split four ways but it might work for this balanced three way splitter. For some reason I had a lot of trouble finding one a couple of years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
ch 2.1 , ch 43.1 , grand wega , kcbs , pasadena ca

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page