Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 353 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 467Likes

post #10561 of 10877 Old 01-16-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Although TVFool provides what I think are more accurate Signal Level Predictions, the underlying database is NOT being kept current. Fol. RabbitEars "TVSTUDY" Report for your Zipcode Location ["SEARCH" function] provides a more recent Prediction and also lists the NETWORKS....but you have to click on each Callsign to see that Ch10 carries ABC and Ch17 carries FOX [although it is probably TOO WEAK to receive]: [You should enter your EXACT Location to get a slightly more accurate Signal Level Prediction.]
https://www.rabbitears.info/search.p...pe=dBm&height=

IF we are to believe the RabbitEars Report, Santa Barbara is where ALL of your stations will be located....forget about L.A. & Van Nuys. However, if we are to believe the TVFool Report, it would be worth trying to receive Ch11 (FOX) and perhaps the other Hi-VHF Stations from L.A. [ABC, MyN, KCAL Sports] when pointing the High Gain Hi-VHF Antenna Eastward. If this direction works better than trying to receive very weak Ch17 (FOX) from Santa Barbara, then you might want to buy TWO of the Hi-VHF Antennas, using a conventional 2-Port Combiner/Splitter...or even better a Single Channel Insertion Filter....at which point let us help you figure out a part number(s).

CM4228 is a good choice for UHF, but in order to pick up Hi-VHF Ch10 [NBC, CW+, LAFF] and [FWIW] Ch12 [Infomercials] you will ALSO need a high gain Hi-VHF Antenna, such as either of the following....and either an RCA Preamp with separate VHF and UHF Inputs....or an Antenna Direct VHF/UHF Combiner with a Preamp on JUST the UHF Antenna....or Both VHF & UHF if more than say 2 or 4 Drops:
https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/...vhf/dp/48Y8141 [9-Element Hi-VHF Antenna]
https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/...nna/dp/71Y5462 [12-Element Hi-VHF Antenna]

After looking at the FMFool.com results for your zipcode location [several are VERY close to you], to prevent Second Harmonic Interference to Hi-VHF Band Channels, I also recommend inserting a FULL BAND FM FILTER on the Output of the Hi-VHF Antenna [may be INPUT to VHF/UHF Combiner or VHF Input of RCA Preamp], such as either of following:
http://www.zainaelectronics.com/ante...jection-filter [from MCM]
http://www.tinlee.com/PDF/CR7-%20FM%20bandstop-w.pdf

Last edited by holl_ands; 01-16-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10562 of 10877 Old 01-16-2019, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsmario View Post
Thanks for the screen shots. I feel pretty confident in getting most of the main channels now.

Had no idea the CM 3020 was that huge, may pass on that now.

Still looking at DVR solutions, Amazon's Recast seems almost perfect, except it's only 2 streams at once.

Tivo is also coming out with a fire tv app, which would eliminate the need for Tivo Minis. I would have to wait for a deal on Tivo Bolt OTA w/ Lifetime Subscription.

The old criteria was that you used a tuner per stream, so a two tuner device could stream to two devices. I haven't verified this, but I have heard that the Recast can only stream to two devices even if you get the 4 tuner model. I'm not sure that's true, but it would be a deal killer for me. The other thing I don't like about the Recast is it relies heavily on Amazon's closed ecosystem, and I don't trust Amazon, Google or Apple to continue to produce products in the future. They all seem to arbitrarily discontinue things (Google is the worst at this).
post #10563 of 10877 Old 01-16-2019, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
IF we are to believe the RabbitEars Report, Santa Barbara is where ALL of your stations will be located....forget about L.A.

Rabbitears.info is way out of whack for this area. Oxnard is relatively flat, and most of us can get the LA stations fine, even though they are 1 or 2 Edge signals. I have installed a Clearstream 2V and a CM 4228 and get good reception with both, although adding an pre-amplifier improves the signal. Even the Winegard flat panel el-cheapo antenna they sell at Home Depot brings in CBS - 2 and NBC - 4 and a few others. I gave my 2v to my BIL at the beach 2 miles away and he gets the same reception I do.

My CM 4228 pulls in all of the stations with power ratings of -80db or "less" (like the -78db stations) on this TV Fool chart. The only ones it has some issues with is the high-VHF station channel 9, with occasional breakups of the signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10564 of 10877 Old 01-16-2019, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Based on TV Fool for 90266 you should not need an amplifier. Try removing the LNA-100 and see if your signal quality improves. It's really common that using an amplifier when you don't need one just degrades a good signal. If the antenna you have is the Winegard Elite 7550, with the black plastic body, just don't use the LNA-100 inline. Don't just unplug the power; remove the LNA-100 completely.

Each splitter weakens the signal by 50%. A 4-way splitter gives 4 ports at 25% of the original signal strength. It's hard to find a 3-way splitter that isn't a 4-way with a plugged port, with you still getting 25% / 25% and 25%. There are a few. Look at SolidSignal.com for some options. When I looked I couldn't find a 25 /25/50 three way; all I saw was expensive ones that were something like 25/25/38 ... there's some weird math thing going on.

Anyway, a two-way splitter gives you two outputs at 50% each. An addditional splitter on one leg gives you a total of three cables, one at 50%, and two at 25%, plus the loss through the splitters.

If you are using a HD Homerun with two tuners remember that signal is being split with a built in "distribution amplifier" inside the HD Homerun to feed the two tuners. So if you started with a good signal, split it four ways, then the HD Homerun splits one 25% feed off that splitter you have 12.5% of the signal to each tuner in the HD Homerun.

Where are you seeing the signal strength meter? On your TV? The signal strength at 100% doesn't mean anything if there's an amplifier in line before that signal strength meter. It will be 100% even without an image because the amplifier boosts bad signals or no signals to 100% too.
awesome info! I'll unplug it to see, and great advice on the splitter. Which 2 way splitter would you recommend? I think the tuners on the 2 samsung tvs are good enough to get 25% each. The HD Homerun is fed to my plex, which I then run on my projector. That was the main goal.

side note, is there any other solution to getting a OTA picture to a projector thru roku or is HD Homerun to Plex the best? I don't record, just need it for live sports. What sucks is I can't get 2 tv's synced up to play at the same time this way. The direct tuner on the samsungs tv's are realtime live, but the HD homerun is delayed a few seconds thru plex for the transcoding.

I never need 2 tuners, in fact not even sure how to use 2 tuners on the HD homerun. Is there a single tuner device?

I'll test and report back, it's raining crazy in LA
post #10565 of 10877 Old 01-16-2019, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
side note, is there any other solution to getting a OTA picture to a projector thru roku or is HD Homerun to Plex the best? I don't record, just need it for live sports. What sucks is I can't get 2 tv's synced up to play at the same time this way. The direct tuner on the samsungs tv's are realtime live, but the HD homerun is delayed a few seconds thru plex for the transcoding.

I think Plex will also support a USB tuner for live channels. Maybe that will make it so you can sync up two feeds. This gets complicated fast though, and I've never known much about projectors. Maybe someone has other ideas.
post #10566 of 10877 Old 01-17-2019, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
IF we are to believe the RabbitEars Report, Santa Barbara is where ALL of your stations will be located....forget about L.A. & Van Nuys.
You inadvertently left the radius at 60 miles, when most of the Los Angeles stations are 63 miles away.

https://www.rabbitears.info/search.p...pe=dBm&height=

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10567 of 10877 Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
The old criteria was that you used a tuner per stream, so a two tuner device could stream to two devices. I haven't verified this, but I have heard that the Recast can only stream to two devices even if you get the 4 tuner model. I'm not sure that's true, but it would be a deal killer for me. The other thing I don't like about the Recast is it relies heavily on Amazon's closed ecosystem, and I don't trust Amazon, Google or Apple to continue to produce products in the future. They all seem to arbitrarily discontinue things (Google is the worst at this).
HDHR with Emby can stream the same channel to multiple devices.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

post #10568 of 10877 Old 01-17-2019, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone know if there has been any significant changes with over-the-air broadcasting in Los Angeles this week, such as due to the repacking issue?

I live in the valley and used to receive KTLA 5, KVME 20, KOCE 50 fine along with all the subchannels (plus several ethnic and shopping channels) using an indoor antenna, which even worked during the storms. For the past couple days, I lost all of it and can ONLY receive KPXN 30 plus the shopping channels.

Is something going on with KTLA, KVME, KOCE that resulted in this loss? Why do I receive only KPXN 30 clearly yet nothing else? I rescanned and double-rescanned, disconnected the preamp etc., nothing seems to work.

To note, I never was able to get 2, 4, 7, 9, 11, etc. I was fine with only 5, 20, 30, and 50 since I don't watch a lot of TV and KTLA news is fine. I also didn't change any setting on my TV. It just happened on its own and was working fine for a long time.

Any idea? Thanks.
post #10569 of 10877 Old 01-18-2019, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack352 View Post
Anyone know if there has been any significant changes with over-the-air broadcasting in Los Angeles this week, such as due to the repacking issue?

I live in the valley and used to receive KTLA 5, KVME 20, KOCE 50 fine along with all the subchannels (plus several ethnic and shopping channels) using an indoor antenna, which even worked during the storms. For the past couple days, I lost all of it and can ONLY receive KPXN 30 plus the shopping channels.

Is something going on with KTLA, KVME, KOCE that resulted in this loss? Why do I receive only KPXN 30 clearly yet nothing else? I rescanned and double-rescanned, disconnected the preamp etc., nothing seems to work.

To note, I never was able to get 2, 4, 7, 9, 11, etc. I was fine with only 5, 20, 30, and 50 since I don't watch a lot of TV and KTLA news is fine. I also didn't change any setting on my TV. It just happened on its own and was working fine for a long time.

Any idea? Thanks.
First, wow ... did you actually once receive KVME-DT 20 that serves Bishop, CA. all the way from White Mtn. almost 300mi. north in northern Inyo county?

Next since you've re-scaned, which should correct for the repack movements, I'd say carefully inspect your antenna and coax run all the way to the TV for a bad antenna or coax, loose fittings, and corrosion build-up due to moisture leaking into the coax connectors.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #10570 of 10877 Old 01-18-2019, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
First, wow ... did you actually once receive KVME-DT 20 that serves Bishop, CA. all the way from White Mtn. almost 300mi. north in northern Inyo county?

Next since you've re-scaned, which should correct for the repack movements, I'd say carefully inspect your antenna and coax run all the way to the TV for a bad antenna or coax, loose fittings, and corrosion build-up due to moisture leaking into the coax connectors.

Thanks for the response. Oops, no... not KVME. I did receive MeTv which is probably on one of the subchannels on 50 or 50 something. When I had satellite it was channel 20, that got me confused, good catch.

Antenna and coax look fine. I likely need an outdoor antenna; unfortunately, apartment doesn't allow it. I finally found an indoor antenna that worked really well, and now it doesn't work all of a sudden and who knows why. If it's not due to the repacking or issues with the towers, maybe it's interference from some neighbor wifi etc. ?

I think today after work I'll just pick up a Roku as I think it has an app for ABC7 news for Los Angeles, and see how that goes with DSL. News is pretty much all I view on TV. I think I've run out of options. Miss the old days of analog when it just worked... no need to spend time researching and experimenting.
post #10571 of 10877 Old 01-20-2019, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've found 3-way *balanced* splitters that deliver 33%/33%/33% signal strength, or about a 5 db loss on each output port, easy to find and some inexpensive online at least.

I can't thank you enough for this. I ordered one from Amazon and installed it yesterday. My experience with a non-balanced splitter was completely different, with only one leg being acceptable. Stacking good two way splitters was also not satisfactory.

With my pre-amp set to the high setting I can use a three-way balanced splitter and feed my main TV with a DVR+, my Stream+ device in the bedroom and the HDHomerun that is up in the attic near where the coax comes in. Each of these devices is splitting their signal for two-tuner DVRs and they all look to be doing well.
post #10572 of 10877 Old 01-21-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
I have noticed for some time now that PBS is being shown on channels 15-1-4. Does anyone have a problem with the signal strength for these channels or are there other reasons for this?
post #10573 of 10877 Old 01-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I have noticed for some time now that PBS is being shown on channels 15-1-4. Does anyone have a problem with the signal strength for these channels or are there other reasons for this?

I'm not seeing anything out of Los Angeles on channel 15.
post #10574 of 10877 Old 01-21-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not seeing anything out of Los Angeles on channel 15.
Interesting, What channels are your PBS stations on, for instance the ones that show Nova and Nature.
post #10575 of 10877 Old 01-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Interesting, What channels are your PBS stations on, for instance the ones that show Nova and Nature.
KOCE 50-1 thru -5
KVCR 24-1 thru -4 (serving the I.E.)
KLCS 58-1 thru -3 (run by LAUSD)

shivaji likes this.
post #10576 of 10877 Old 01-21-2019, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can't thank you enough for this. I ordered one from Amazon and installed it yesterday. My experience with a non-balanced splitter was completely different, with only one leg being acceptable. Stacking good two way splitters was also not satisfactory.

With my pre-amp set to the high setting I can use a three-way balanced splitter and feed my main TV with a DVR+, my Stream+ device in the bedroom and the HDHomerun that is up in the attic near where the coax comes in. Each of these devices is splitting their signal for two-tuner DVRs and they all look to be doing well.
Don't mention it ...

One helped my set-up as well after cascading two 2 × 1 splitters or the cheap "unbalanced" 3-way splitters from the local stores were unsatisfactory for me too.

post #10577 of 10877 Old 01-21-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you're receiving KPBS from San Diego.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #10578 of 10877 Old 01-21-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am an hour or so north of San Diego, so that could be, though my roof antenna has always been pointed towards LA.
post #10579 of 10877 Old 01-21-2019, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
KOCE 50-1 thru -5
KVCR 24-1 thru -4 (serving the I.E.)
KLCS 58-1 thru -3 (run by LAUSD)

I am west of Los Angeles and get

KOCE 50.1, 50.2, 50.4 and 50.5 (50.3 is Daystar, a religious station)
KLCS 58.1, 58.2 and 58.3

And some public television content on now independent KCET - 28, which I believe is merging with KOCE.

I don't get KVCR, channel 24 where I am.
post #10580 of 10877 Old 01-21-2019, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
awesome info! I'll unplug it to see, and great advice on the splitter. Which 2 way splitter would you recommend? I think the tuners on the 2 samsung tvs are good enough to get 25% each. The HD Homerun is fed to my plex, which I then run on my projector. That was the main goal.

I never need 2 tuners, in fact not even sure how to use 2 tuners on the HD homerun. Is there a single tuner device?

I'll test and report back, it's raining crazy in LA
Hmm, I unplugged the booster, and now I get fox, but lost ABC completely. Should I try a big amplifier?
post #10581 of 10877 Old 01-23-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack352 View Post

Any idea? Thanks.
Those are all UHF channels, UHF can be very line of sight. Is there any new construction around your building anything in your path to Mt.Wilson that you can see. Any nearby trees that still have their leaves, cold weather and wind can effect all of this. One thing to try, get some longer cable for your antennae and start moving it around, sometimes you'll find a new spot that works better.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #10582 of 10877 Old 01-24-2019, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Those are all UHF channels, UHF can be very line of sight. Is there any new construction around your building anything in your path to Mt.Wilson that you can see. Any nearby trees that still have their leaves, cold weather and wind can effect all of this. One thing to try, get some longer cable for your antennae and start moving it around, sometimes you'll find a new spot that works better.
KCET and KOCE have now merged. The new licensee name is PUBLIC MEDIA GROUP OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.
post #10583 of 10877 Old 01-24-2019, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by LATV View Post
KCET and KOCE have now merged. The new licensee name is PUBLIC MEDIA GROUP OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.
Just to clarify, this is a business merger only. Their channel assignments have not changed (still on different physical channels) and I have not heard of any plans to change that.
post #10584 of 10877 Old 01-24-2019, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmm, I unplugged the booster, and now I get fox, but lost ABC completely. Should I try a big amplifier?

You'll have to play with both the amplifier and the position of the antenna to see if you can bring in both Fox (channel 11) and ABC (channel 7). Both of those are high-VHF and a lot of the little antennas sold now have problems with VHF signals.

If it has to be indoors, maybe something like a Clearstream 2v could work in a window. It's a pretty good antenna.
post #10585 of 10877 Old 01-24-2019, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
Just to clarify, this is a business merger only. Their channel assignments have not changed (still on different physical channels) and I have not heard of any plans to change that.
And for the sake of my OTA TiVo ....

"Thank goodness" ....

Because of the inevitable guide errors and hassles reporting them to Tivo/Rovi and delays for them to fix it would have caused.

The FCC repack movements are enough headaches to deal with already.

post #10586 of 10877 Old 01-24-2019, 09:10 AM

Is there someone who can receive KFLA-LD and confirm what programming appears on its various subchannels at the moment? Thanks.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #10587 of 10877 Old 01-24-2019, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Is there someone who can receive KFLA-LD and confirm what programming appears on its various subchannels at the moment? Thanks.

- Trip
Right now it's showing ...

8-1 just says "IND" with infomercials constantly running.

8-2 has "Country Music TV" ("CMTV")

8-3 is labeled for "Retro TV" ("RTV"), but has been just showing color bars for many months now.

8-4 is "BizTV"

8-5 is "Jewelry TV" ("JTV").

8-6 is labeled "REVN" with programs for cars and other motor vehicles listed in the guide. But is only showing color bars.

post #10588 of 10877 Old 01-24-2019, 09:38 AM

Thanks. I've made updates to RabbitEars accordingly.

- Trip
Sammy2 likes this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #10589 of 10877 Old 01-24-2019, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
So far that is correct.
post #10590 of 10877 Old 01-25-2019, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by LATV View Post
So far that is correct.
I suspect that it will be this way for a long time to come. They have both just spent the money to do the repack and it's unclear (to me at least) that they would save enough (or indeed any) money by packing both on a separate channel (if such a channel is even available).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
ch 2.1 , ch 43.1 , grand wega , kcbs , pasadena ca

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page