Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 361 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 451Likes

post #10801 of 10811 Old 05-15-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Since I don't have an antenna with VHF-lo band to actually look, I can only rely on the latest from Rabbitears ....

Where it list four currently active low band DTV stations for this market with two more forthcoming ...

KVCR 24 (RF 5).

KWHY 22 and KBEH 63 (Both sharing RF 4).

KHIZ-LD 39 (RF 2).

KSGA-LD 29 and KVHD-LD 26 (Both still scheduled to move down from the UHF band and share RF 3).

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I get KVCR and my antenna isn't even aimed at Box Springs. Of course it probably doesn't hurt that it is 5 miles from my house and I can see the broadcast antenna from my upstairs windows.

The rest? I'm not sure I care about those actually and I do get 39 and 63 but I have them disabled in my HDHomeRun tuner.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sammy2; 05-15-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10802 of 10811 Old 05-23-2019, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 2695
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
After the dust from the repack settles, the LA market will have lo-VHF RF stations all over the dial: 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
And then the complaints will start flying, LA has been a no fly zone for lo Vhf use for awhile. It's always fun to watch a digital train wreck

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #10803 of 10811 Old 05-23-2019, 02:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert1515 View Post
How is everyone's reception quality of KCBS after their repack from RF channel 43 down to RF channel 31?

Before the repack, my reception in Thousand Oaks of KCBS's signal was good.

When KTLA was on RF channel 31 with their 1000 KW transmitter,
they were my strongest station and my reception was always perfect.

With KCBS's 485 KW transmitter, my reception is much weaker and
they are now my weakest major station from Los Angeles.
With CBS All Access I gave up on KCBS OTA awhile ago, the multipath gods were not happy and I never watched it in real time anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10804 of 10811 Old 05-23-2019, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
According to the latest on Rabbitears it's coming "soon" to KWHY 22-2 (RF4).

But unless you can receive the VHF-lo band (RF chs. 2-6) you won't get it.

Which rules me out since my antenna is only VHF-hi/UHF capable.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Retro TV's website still shows KBEH (which doesn't have it) so I don't know what the timeframe is. Keep your fingers crossed.

post #10805 of 10811 Old 05-25-2019, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Retro TV's website still shows KBEH (which doesn't have it) so I don't know what the timeframe is. Keep your fingers crossed.
Retro TV's Facebook page says it's coming to KWHY 22.2 on June 1. It's RF channel 4 and my antenna is only supposed to be good for VHF-hi, but it's a strong enough signal that I get a solid lock 35 miles away. Looking forward to seeing Dr. Who again.
___
orac
tenthplanet likes this.
post #10806 of 10811 Old 06-02-2019, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I get KVCR and my antenna isn't even aimed at Box Springs. Of course it probably doesn't hurt that it is 5 miles from my house and I can see the broadcast antenna from my upstairs windows.

The rest? I'm not sure I care about those actually and I do get 39 and 63 but I have them disabled in my HDHomeRun tuner.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I installed a new TV antenna for a friend in San Pedro a few days ago. It was a small ch 7 and above version with no elements for ch 2 through 6 and aimed north at Mt Wilson. It picks up KVCR just fine on ch 5 way to the east.
post #10807 of 10811 Old 06-03-2019, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Since the latest repack I have a hard time getting KOCE / PBS SoCal on 50.1 to come in. There are enough break ups and some loss of audio that it makes watching a recorded program hard. I removed a splitter to send the signal directly to my DVR on my primary set, so I'm going from antenna to amp to DVR now, and that helps a lot. My second TV is now on a flat wave antenna and gets three channels, including those from Santa Barbara. I live in Oxnard, 63 miles from the towers, so it's a challenging area for reception. TV fool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90386c79d86d76

If I mount another antenna on my roof, how far from the existing antenna does it need to be? I have an old Dish mount I can use, and it's at the same height, but 12' west of the other antenna (and offset about 10 feet to the north). I'm assuming there's no problem mounting another one there?
post #10808 of 10811 Old 06-15-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Anybody else having zero reception for KTTV-DT (11.1) on Saturday? I'm in Marina Del Rey.

I noticed that my WMC scheduled recording for today's US Open had failed on 11.1, and had automatically failed-over to 1206 on Spectrum. That was odd. I have a Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD 4-tuner card for OTA/ATSC and a Ceton ETH cablecard-enabled 6-tuner for Spectrum cable.

When I manually tuned to 11.1, sure enough there was "no signal". I then tried all the other OTA channels and they were all fine.

I then ran TSReader Lite, and saw the following unexpected results for channel 11, indicating NO DIGITAL DATA PACKETS providing channel info. The MPEG-2 Statistics show ZERO PSIP data. I don't have a real TV connected to my roof antenna so I can't test this further, but I'm sure "info" would show nothing.

In contrast, normal digital channel streams carry assorted data packets providing lots of info:

Obiously WMC is having trouble deciding what is on channel 11.1, even though there actually is image data arriving. So it flipped over to 1206. Also, NextPVR also displays the image although the rest of the to-be-expected digital data is not present.

Anybody else see this? I do have a recording made on 11.1 back on Monday night, so there was no problem back then. I had no need to look at channel 11 the rest of the week until today, so I don't know when this issue first started. I'm going to call KTTV on the phone now.
post #10809 of 10811 Old 06-15-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Funny you should ask I also couldn't get 11.1 either in the Sherman Oaks/Valley Glen area, being VHF it's usually not a problem, even with an indoor antenae. I tweaked the antennae but it's a lot more position sensitive then it should be.

post #10810 of 10811 Old 06-15-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Back up now.

Last edited by DSperber; 06-15-2019 at 08:19 PM.
post #10811 of 10811 Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotto_pi View Post
Retro TV's Facebook page says it's coming to KWHY 22.2 on June 1. It's RF channel 4 and my antenna is only supposed to be good for VHF-hi, but it's a strong enough signal that I get a solid lock 35 miles away. Looking forward to seeing Dr. Who again.
___
orac
22.2 is Univers as I type this. SD but it is 16:9 which I like.

WRT Doctor Who I'm hoping they show it in HD as IIRC PAL had 576 vertical lines of chroma as opposed to the chroma resolution halving SECAM. IMHO when you show PAL in 480i the chroma is cut to 240 lines though the medium horizontal chroma PAL had is well represented. Geek rant over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
ch 2.1 , ch 43.1 , grand wega , kcbs , pasadena ca

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page