Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 361 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 453Likes

post #10801 of 10821 Old 05-15-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Since I don't have an antenna with VHF-lo band to actually look, I can only rely on the latest from Rabbitears ....

Where it list four currently active low band DTV stations for this market with two more forthcoming ...

KVCR 24 (RF 5).

KWHY 22 and KBEH 63 (Both sharing RF 4).

KHIZ-LD 39 (RF 2).

KSGA-LD 29 and KVHD-LD 26 (Both still scheduled to move down from the UHF band and share RF 3).

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I get KVCR and my antenna isn't even aimed at Box Springs. Of course it probably doesn't hurt that it is 5 miles from my house and I can see the broadcast antenna from my upstairs windows.

The rest? I'm not sure I care about those actually and I do get 39 and 63 but I have them disabled in my HDHomeRun tuner.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sammy2; 05-15-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10802 of 10821 Old 05-23-2019, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
After the dust from the repack settles, the LA market will have lo-VHF RF stations all over the dial: 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
And then the complaints will start flying, LA has been a no fly zone for lo Vhf use for awhile. It's always fun to watch a digital train wreck

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #10803 of 10821 Old 05-23-2019, 02:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert1515 View Post
How is everyone's reception quality of KCBS after their repack from RF channel 43 down to RF channel 31?

Before the repack, my reception in Thousand Oaks of KCBS's signal was good.

When KTLA was on RF channel 31 with their 1000 KW transmitter,
they were my strongest station and my reception was always perfect.

With KCBS's 485 KW transmitter, my reception is much weaker and
they are now my weakest major station from Los Angeles.
With CBS All Access I gave up on KCBS OTA awhile ago, the multipath gods were not happy and I never watched it in real time anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10804 of 10821 Old 05-23-2019, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
According to the latest on Rabbitears it's coming "soon" to KWHY 22-2 (RF4).

But unless you can receive the VHF-lo band (RF chs. 2-6) you won't get it.

Which rules me out since my antenna is only VHF-hi/UHF capable.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Retro TV's website still shows KBEH (which doesn't have it) so I don't know what the timeframe is. Keep your fingers crossed.

post #10805 of 10821 Old 05-25-2019, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Retro TV's website still shows KBEH (which doesn't have it) so I don't know what the timeframe is. Keep your fingers crossed.
Retro TV's Facebook page says it's coming to KWHY 22.2 on June 1. It's RF channel 4 and my antenna is only supposed to be good for VHF-hi, but it's a strong enough signal that I get a solid lock 35 miles away. Looking forward to seeing Dr. Who again.
___
orac
tenthplanet likes this.
post #10806 of 10821 Old 06-02-2019, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I get KVCR and my antenna isn't even aimed at Box Springs. Of course it probably doesn't hurt that it is 5 miles from my house and I can see the broadcast antenna from my upstairs windows.

The rest? I'm not sure I care about those actually and I do get 39 and 63 but I have them disabled in my HDHomeRun tuner.

I installed a new TV antenna for a friend in San Pedro a few days ago. It was a small ch 7 and above version with no elements for ch 2 through 6 and aimed north at Mt Wilson. It picks up KVCR just fine on ch 5 way to the east.
post #10807 of 10821 Old 06-03-2019, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Since the latest repack I have a hard time getting KOCE / PBS SoCal on 50.1 to come in. There are enough break ups and some loss of audio that it makes watching a recorded program hard. I removed a splitter to send the signal directly to my DVR on my primary set, so I'm going from antenna to amp to DVR now, and that helps a lot. My second TV is now on a flat wave antenna and gets three channels, including those from Santa Barbara. I live in Oxnard, 63 miles from the towers, so it's a challenging area for reception. TV fool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90386c79d86d76

If I mount another antenna on my roof, how far from the existing antenna does it need to be? I have an old Dish mount I can use, and it's at the same height, but 12' west of the other antenna (and offset about 10 feet to the north). I'm assuming there's no problem mounting another one there?
post #10808 of 10821 Old 06-15-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Anybody else having zero reception for KTTV-DT (11.1) on Saturday? I'm in Marina Del Rey.

I noticed that my WMC scheduled recording for today's US Open had failed on 11.1, and had automatically failed-over to 1206 on Spectrum. That was odd. I have a Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD 4-tuner card for OTA/ATSC and a Ceton ETH cablecard-enabled 6-tuner for Spectrum cable.

When I manually tuned to 11.1, sure enough there was "no signal". I then tried all the other OTA channels and they were all fine.

I then ran TSReader Lite, and saw the following unexpected results for channel 11, indicating NO DIGITAL DATA PACKETS providing channel info. The MPEG-2 Statistics show ZERO PSIP data. I don't have a real TV connected to my roof antenna so I can't test this further, but I'm sure "info" would show nothing.

In contrast, normal digital channel streams carry assorted data packets providing lots of info:

Obiously WMC is having trouble deciding what is on channel 11.1, even though there actually is image data arriving. So it flipped over to 1206. Also, NextPVR also displays the image although the rest of the to-be-expected digital data is not present.

Anybody else see this? I do have a recording made on 11.1 back on Monday night, so there was no problem back then. I had no need to look at channel 11 the rest of the week until today, so I don't know when this issue first started. I'm going to call KTTV on the phone now.
post #10809 of 10821 Old 06-15-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Funny you should ask I also couldn't get 11.1 either in the Sherman Oaks/Valley Glen area, being VHF it's usually not a problem, even with an indoor antenae. I tweaked the antennae but it's a lot more position sensitive then it should be.

post #10810 of 10821 Old 06-15-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Back up now.

Last edited by DSperber; 06-15-2019 at 08:19 PM.
post #10811 of 10821 Old 06-16-2019, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotto_pi View Post
Retro TV's Facebook page says it's coming to KWHY 22.2 on June 1. It's RF channel 4 and my antenna is only supposed to be good for VHF-hi, but it's a strong enough signal that I get a solid lock 35 miles away. Looking forward to seeing Dr. Who again.
___
orac
22.2 is Univers as I type this. SD but it is 16:9 which I like.

WRT Doctor Who I'm hoping they show it in HD as IIRC PAL had 576 vertical lines of chroma as opposed to the chroma resolution halving SECAM. IMHO when you show PAL in 480i the chroma is cut to 240 lines though the medium horizontal chroma PAL had is well represented. Geek rant over.
post #10812 of 10821 Old 06-18-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Anybody else having zero reception for KTTV-DT (11.1) on Saturday? I'm in Marina Del Rey.

I noticed that my WMC scheduled recording for today's US Open had failed on 11.1, and had automatically failed-over to 1206 on Spectrum. That was odd. I have a Hauppauge WinTV QuadHD 4-tuner card for OTA/ATSC and a Ceton ETH cablecard-enabled 6-tuner for Spectrum cable.

When I manually tuned to 11.1, sure enough there was "no signal". I then tried all the other OTA channels and they were all fine.

I then ran TSReader Lite, and saw the following unexpected results for channel 11, indicating NO DIGITAL DATA PACKETS providing channel info. The MPEG-2 Statistics show ZERO PSIP data. I don't have a real TV connected to my roof antenna so I can't test this further, but I'm sure "info" would show nothing.

In contrast, normal digital channel streams carry assorted data packets providing lots of info:

Obiously WMC is having trouble deciding what is on channel 11.1, even though there actually is image data arriving. So it flipped over to 1206. Also, NextPVR also displays the image although the rest of the to-be-expected digital data is not present.

Anybody else see this? I do have a recording made on 11.1 back on Monday night, so there was no problem back then. I had no need to look at channel 11 the rest of the week until today, so I don't know when this issue first started. I'm going to call KTTV on the phone now.
Why do you pay for cable and then record OTA?

post #10813 of 10821 Old 06-18-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Why do you pay for cable and then record OTA?
I pay for cable channels, both basic and premium, that I want to watch. We have a very good new "bulk" contract between our 125-unit HOA and Spectrum that saves me an ENORMOUS amount over what we previously were paying with TWC with the previous arrangement that has now been renegotiated and replaced. Believe it or not, I used to myself pay $148/month for (a) 100Mb/s internet, (b) one voice phone line, and (c) grandfathered TWC channel lineup plus several additional tiers and HBO and SHO, with the HOA also paying a "bulk per-unit basic rate" to TWC. And now I pay $38/month for the same services (but now it's Spectrum Silver channel lineup), with the HOA again also paying a "bulk per-unit basic rate" to Spectrum. We negotiated a fabulous deal.

As far as OTA broadcast network channels, I prefer the quality of those channels as received from my roof antenna rather than the carriage of those channels from Spectrum.

All of this is handled by my Wondows Media Center PC, which is the heart of my whole-home DVR system. I only pay $2/month for a cablecard (and the digital tuning adapter that comes with it) rather than paying for multiple DVR's plus DVR service.

Since I'm a Spectrum subscriber (with HBO and SHO on my account), I'm also entitled to streaming services on all my other devices, no matter where I am in the country. More and more cable channels are also offering on-demand streaming but you must have service with one of the many cable service providers around the country who have signed up to participated in this new technolgy, and then I sign-in from my portable device using the Spectrum account credentials, in order to be entitled to those streaming services. It's much easier and cheaper to pay Spectrum $38/month and then get streaming of everything "for free", than to buy a la carte individual streaming service from many many different individual cable channel and premium service providers.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #10814 of 10821 Old 06-18-2019, 11:19 AM

Wait..

$38 a month? That's less than I pay Spectrum for internet. That includes internet? Is the contract long term?

I used an HDHomeRun Prime CableCARD tuner for years with Ceton Echo extenders in WMC but have switched to OTA via HDHomeRun Connect Quatro with Emby and streaming as we just weren't getting our money's worth out of CableTV any longer, not even YouTubeTV is worth $50 IMHO; but at that price, hmm..

Finally, shall I get packing and move into your hood?

post #10815 of 10821 Old 06-18-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Wait..

$38 a month? That's less than I pay Spectrum for internet. That includes internet? Is the contract long term?
I know! 5-year deal.

I was on the sub-committee who were dealing with this issue and the Spectrum negotiations. We wanted some additional things to be part of the deal but in the end decided "not to push it" because we'd obtained this miracle arrangement which included 100Mb/s internet, which cannot be upgraded to a faster service level without paying full price (i.e. as if you had nothing, and wanted to add internet from scratch at full retail non-promotional rate). But I'm perfectly happy with "free 100Mb/s internet", as part of the "basic Select TV/internet" service each of the 125 units gets that is paid for through the 125*bulk-rate (which is not free, but is quite reasonable) that the HOA pays Spectrum each month (even if all the homeowners do not avail themselves).

So what each homeowner optionally pays individually is for optionally adding phone, and upgrading TV from Select to Silver or Gold. If you're totally happy with 100 and Select TV, you would pay nothing additional to Spectrum. Quite frankly given the crazy price if you did want to increase your internet speed beyond 100 under the terms of the deal, I'm sure nobody will ever do that.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #10816 of 10821 Old 06-18-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I know! 5-year deal.

I was on the sub-committee who were dealing with this issue and the Spectrum negotiations. We wanted some additional things to be part of the deal but in the end decided "not to push it" because we'd obtained this miracle arrangement which included 100Mb/s internet, which cannot be upgraded to a faster service level without paying full price (i.e. as if you had nothing, and wanted to add internet from scratch at full retail non-promotional rate). But I'm perfectly happy with "free 100Mb/s internet", as part of the "basic Select TV/internet" service each of the 125 units gets that is paid for through the 125*bulk-rate (which is not free, but is quite reasonable) that the HOA pays Spectrum each month (even if all the homeowners do not avail themselves).

So what each homeowner optionally pays individually is for optionally adding phone, and upgrading TV from Select to Silver or Gold. If you're totally happy with 100 and Select TV, you would pay nothing additional to Spectrum. Quite frankly given the crazy price if you did want to increase your internet speed beyond 100 under the terms of the deal, I'm sure nobody will ever do that.
Yeah, I'd suffer with that speed for that price..

post #10817 of 10821 Old 06-22-2019, 12:47 PM

Liked: 1
Anybody in the Palm Springs area receiving KVCR on the translator?
post #10818 of 10821 Old 07-10-2019, 07:17 PM

Liked: 14
New channel on 9-2 called Stadium and apparently Decades will soon be on Fox 11-2. Anyone getting retro on 22-2?
post #10819 of 10821 Old 07-11-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitcomics View Post
New channel on 9-2 called Stadium and apparently Decades will soon be on Fox 11-2. Anyone getting retro on 22-2?
Yes Stadium
No Decades.
No Retro

I have 22-2 disabled at present but in the HDHomeRun GUI it shows "UNIVERS".

Last edited by Sammy2; 07-11-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #10820 of 10821 Old 07-13-2019, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need some expert advice about optimizing reception in the Hollywood Hills.

Hello LA OTA gang.

Newbie here. Just cut the cord.

I live in the Hollywood Hills just north of the Sunset Strip.

Put an RCA ANT751E Yagi antenna (70 mile range, no amp) on my roof. Pointed directly at MT. Wilson (64% true from my spot). Ran a quality 100ft Mediabridge RG6 coax down to the latest generation AirTv dual tuner black box.

To watch programming via WiFi, I'm using the Sling app (paid subscription version) on both my TV (Roku streaming stick Plus) and my iPhone (iOS). Also have a new WD MyPassport 2TB portable hard drive plugged into my AirTV box for recording OTA.

I have 1-2 mountain crests between me and Mt. Wilson. This is verified by my TVFool report.

(Apparently, since I'm new here, and my post count is less than 5, I can't yet post a link to my TVFool report, but I will when I am able.)

On the bright side, I'm getting good solid consistent (2-3 of 5 bars) reception on all the major networks. CBS2, NBC4, KTLA5, ABC7, KCAL9, and KCOP13 are all coming in clearly and seldom pixilate or drop out. I'm quite happy about this considering I'm in the hills without a direct line of sight to Mt. Wilson.

On the down side, I'm having trouble getting in the PBS stations (which I really love and want), and some of the better secondary stations (which would be fun to have).

Interestingly, if do a rescan several times a day, over a period of several days, the tuner on the AirTV box will occasionally pick them up, I guess depending on the right weather and troposphere conditions. But even if I leave the scan in place, once that "ideal weather window" closes, I get a 'no signal' message on those channels.

I get 24 KVCR PBS (Empire, FNX, Encore, Create), 30 KPXN (ion, Qubo, ion Life), and 56 KDOC (MeTV, Comet, Charge!) in consistently alongside the networks mentioned above.

The ones I get in rarely and not consistently that I'd really like to are:

28 KCET PBS
50 KOCE PBS SoCal
58 KLCS PBS

.. and to a less important extent, any of these..

34 KMEX Univision (Bounce, Justice)
46 KFTR UniMás (getTV, Escape, Grit, Quest)
54 KAZA (MeTV, Decades)

ALL of these station are also broadcasting from Mt Wilson, 20 miles from me at 64*.

I tried adding a Wingard LNA-200 pre-amp at the antenna, but quickly learned that it didn't help. The decibel boost seems to be too strong, so the strong stations just slightly overload and prevent the weaker signal stations from coming in at all, even in ideal weather conditions. So I've had better results without it.

So I'm think of trying:

1) pointing the antenna up to 20* in either direction from its current 64* direct aim at Mt. Wilson, with the hope that it might lessen the strength of the stronger signals, and allow the weaker ones to come through. I suspect this probably won't work, and the I'll just start having issues with the good signal channels, but maybe I'll get lucky?

2) trying a lower-decibel adjustable gain pre-amp, and just turning it up enough to make up for the ~6db loss over the 100ft coax, plus maybe just a few extra decibels, with the hope that those inconsistent signals might become more consistent, without the stronger signals getting boosted enough to blow them out. I've only found one quality adjustable gain pre-amp with a very low noise rating (Kitztech KT-500) and it's expensive, but I guess it's worth a shot.

Are either of these ideas worthwhile?

What else should I try?

Those who are knowledgable, please feel free school me! I'm new to this. My OTA knowledge is limited.

I feel like a bigger antenna won't necessarily make the difference since I'm ~20 miles from Mt. Wilson, and this one is rated for 70 miles. I fact, I get in NBC, ABC, and KPBS all from San Diego more consistently than I get in these nearby channels. (Thanks Socal smog troposphere bounce..?!) (Maybe these longer distance signals are contributing to preventing the closer weaker ones from coming in? Perhaps the antenna is too effective over long distance for my situation?)

Perhaps mounting the antenna higher on a mast?

Help!

What else should I try?

Thanks in advance for any and all insightful input. 🙏

- Anthony
post #10821 of 10821 Old Today, 10:09 AM

Go to www.tvfool.com and post your report.

Get a Tower Finder App on your phone to locate the towers.

Get a Compass App on your phone to properly aim your antenna.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
ch 2.1 , ch 43.1 , grand wega , kcbs , pasadena ca

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page