Los Angeles, CA - OTA - Page 363 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 467Likes

post #10861 of 10877 Old 08-26-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2147 Post(s)
Liked: 3247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
HEY! I like "Rick Bayless - Mexico, One Plate at a Time"!

Might be some cool stuff on Dabl too..
Except they are competing with Food Network, Cooking Channel, HGTV, and DIY network, these channels have a high viewer loyalty. The OTA sub channel as an advertising gravy train is headed for cliff and younger viewers were never on board to start with. This would have been a good idea maybe 10 years ago.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10862 of 10877 Old 09-02-2019, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by euskadi71 View Post
I've had the same problem the last few months or so. I'd check my signal strength and even while getting 6 - 8 bars out of 10 signal strength there'd be occasional pixelation and sometimes blacking out.

KABC has been a mess for me starting a few months ago too. Near unwatchable in day but better signal strength at night. It was one of my stronger station signals until fairly recently.

I use a Terk indoor directional antenna mounted on an extension arm monitor wall mount so I have a good range of adjustment to play with but can't really dial in a consistent good signal anymore.
I noticed about the same date and for many days following that KABC main was poor PQ, lots of misquito around the bug/logo during newscast and a general lack of detail in the video, often a sign of compression set too high. I noticed it first on my Dish system thinking it was the LIL feed, but then I checked the OTA via Dish: same awful PQ. Then I checked my TiVO (OTA reception): same awful PQ. Then I checked the direct antenna connection to the HDTV: even worse awful PQ (because the signal was not going through video processor--Qdeo chip--built-in my AVR.

The thing to remember about digital is the relationship among Compression and Foward Error Correction and Power for consistant uniterrupted reception of the datastream. It would not suprise me that during this time (is it still a problem?) some people would "lose reception" of KABC becasue of insufficient FEC to allow higher compression presumably to fit more data (other programming?) on the digital stream, even as an experiment. Another way to compensate for this situation and provide reliable reception of sufficeint MPEG frames (or the data) is to increase power at the transmittier in relation to higher compression, but I don't know if KABC is licensed for any power increase at all. Often our ocassional lack of reception isn't necesarrily due to problems at the transmittier (although KCBS had a transmitter death a few years ago, and its backup transmitter was inadequate for most viewers to receive), but a local my be experimenting with adding more data (programming) to the digital stream and a fair amount of "tweaking" while on-air is required, and no amount of adjustments are going to make any difference in getting the minimum of the packets you need in such a situation, presuming your OTA antenna has set as best as possible. We have to wait for the station to get the right mix so that we can see moving pictures again. I've noticed this on a few channels: mysteriously unreliable reception for a day or so (check my OTA antenna is best set as always), then have it all magically come in reliable as ever. Consider thise OTA broadcasters are seemingly constantly adding or dropping "sub-channel" content and, I have no doubt, conduction experiments for even MORE content or even just new encoder to break-in and set right. The big problem is ATSC is stuck with MPEG 2 and its limitations for all the data/programming the OTA broadcasters want to air.

I believe I remeber KABC looking better last night.
euskadi71 likes this.
post #10863 of 10877 Old 09-02-2019, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adream8 View Post
Could use some help.

I posted a while back. Quoted my original post here. Read it if you like.

Long and short of it:

I get these stations in only occasionally and weakly:

28 KCET PBS
34 KMEX Univision (Bounce, Justice)
46 KFTR UniMás (getTV, Escape, Grit, Quest)
50 KOCE PBS SoCal
54 KAZA (MeTV, Decades)
58 KLCS PBS

Because I do occasionally get them in, that leads me to believe that I may be able to get them in consistently if I strengthened their signals. I'm trying to figured out how to do this without overdriving and blowing out the stronger signals I already get in solidly.

Most all signals coming from same peak on Mt. Wilson.

RCA ANT751E Yagi antenna on the roof pointed right at it (64*).

Using the newer dual tuner AirTV black box as tuner.

Tried Winegard LNA-200 preamp, but I always scan less channels when it's connected, so it doesn't seem to be helping. I receive more channels without it.

My antenna has about a 6db gain on it's own, and I'm running a 100ft RG6 copper coated coax (but I'm going to switch to a 100ft solid copper coax because I read that it will carry the preamp power better), so I probably lose roughly that same 6db over the length of the cable.

From my TV Fool chart, it looks like most of my problem channels are in the 0-8db NM range.

Should I try..

1) a 6-12db attenuator with the LNA-200 preamp, since it's pushing about a 16db gain which is probably too much?

2) another preamp that is lower gain or adjustable?

3) something else?

I feel like I maybe only need about 6-12db more at most to get those weaker signals, but it seems like most non-variable preamps available push much more than this.

I'm new to this, so insights are appreciated. Thanks again! - Anthony
Are you certain all the stations you are trying to get are on Mt. Wilson. I seem to remember many of those stations being on Mt. Harvard (KAZA for one, I think), just down the road from Mt. Wilson, but Mt. Harvard is at a lower elevation and from your location, it could be in the shadow of Mt. Wilson. From my local I am due south, so I have enough heigth to receive all of Wilson and Harvard at their repective elevations, but Mt. Harvard transmitters are cutting close to being in the shadow of some hills just noth of me.

FWIW, my humble opinion: for your OTA antennas HEIGHTH is almost EVERYTHING. A great many problems are solved with your OTA antenna being as HIGH as possible. I don't know how practical that is for you to do, as in home owner or apartment dweller, and the higher you go, the more need for securing the antenna.

I do have a back-up solution if you are willing since you already know about Slingbox: if you can't get those channels you really love using your OTA antenna, consider putting a Slingbox at a family or freinds's location and either accessing their cable or satellite client device (offer to pay the monthly charge for such a device IF you want it dedicated to your exclusive use, usually like $7 per month) for viewing those channels you can't get, but really want. Or you could even install a TiVo (like the one-time, lower total price that includes lifetime service TiVo OTA box) connected to an OTA antenna (if they have one) at no cost to them that will allow you to view the OTA chanels you want. If you do that, I would recommend viewing on the Fire TV that has the free SlingPlayer App because it is more straight forward and requires no mobile device to initiate and control like the lousy Roku solution. SlingPlayer on Fire TV is the best and easist way to view a Slingbox. You may already know, but I would stick to the Slingbox 500 or M2 because they were the last models and will work with the SlingPlayer on desktop, as well.

Let us know of your solutions. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10864 of 10877 Old 09-02-2019, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy Snead View Post
Are you certain all the stations you are trying to get are on Mt. Wilson. I seem to remember many of those stations being on Mt. Harvard (KAZA for one, I think), just down the road from Mt. Wilson, but Mt. Harvard is at a lower elevation and from your location, it could be in the shadow of Mt. Wilson. From my local I am due south, so I have enough heigth to receive all of Wilson and Harvard at their repective elevations, but Mt. Harvard transmitters are cutting close to being in the shadow of some hills just noth of me.

FWIW, my humble opinion: for your OTA antennas HEIGHTH is almost EVERYTHING. A great many problems are solved with your OTA antenna being as HIGH as possible. I don't know how practical that is for you to do, as in home owner or apartment dweller, and the higher you go, the more need for securing the antenna.

I do have a back-up solution if you are willing since you already know about Slingbox: if you can't get those channels you really love using your OTA antenna, consider putting a Slingbox at a family or freinds's location and either accessing their cable or satellite client device (offer to pay the monthly charge for such a device IF you want it dedicated to your exclusive use, usually like $7 per month) for viewing those channels you can't get, but really want. Or you could even install a TiVo (like the one-time, lower total price that includes lifetime service TiVo OTA box) connected to an OTA antenna (if they have one) at no cost to them that will allow you to view the OTA chanels you want. If you do that, I would recommend viewing on the Fire TV that has the free SlingPlayer App because it is more straight forward and requires no mobile device to initiate and control like the lousy Roku solution. SlingPlayer on Fire TV is the best and easist way to view a Slingbox. You may already know, but I would stick to the Slingbox 500 or M2 because they were the last models and will work with the SlingPlayer on desktop, as well.

Let us know of your solutions. Good luck.
This table on the website is mostly right, repacking is causing some station frequencies to move around, and KSCI's tower is on Mt. Harvard not West L.A.
https://www.solidsignal.com/t.asp?ta...rd-los-angeles
TV reception is all about line of sight, so the higher the better. Some times VHF signals can bend but you can't count on it, UHF is fussier. If you can get away with getting your antennae higher than surrounding trees you'll minimize multi-path too.
phildaant likes this.

post #10865 of 10877 Old 09-08-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Question KSCI 18.x...

Is it me or is KSCI only up to .5 for its 18 tonight?
post #10866 of 10877 Old 09-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Is it me or is KSCI only up to .5 for its 18 tonight?
Yep;

All sub-channels above 18-5 out here too in So. LA ..

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
phildaant likes this.
post #10867 of 10877 Old 09-08-2019, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Yep;

All sub-channels above 18-5 out here too in So. LA ..

Thank you for confirming this. I hope this is a technical issue. I assume KSCI didn't really yank those subchannels out. I couldn't find anything about that if it was true.
post #10868 of 10877 Old 09-09-2019, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, after a little research it appears everything above KSCI 18-5 is broadcasting on KNLA-CD 20's transmitter on RF ch. 32. And no longer on KSCI's transmitter on RF 18.

A rescan on my TV set and TIVO (with incorrect guide mapping of course) found the remaining sub-channels above 18-5(YTV). Virtual 18-7(CBSA), -8(USTV), -9(iCiTi), -12(IBC TV), and -14(CBN), all on RF 32.

Trip's Rabbitears site appears to have all the new mapping for this change correct except for YTV which is now on virtual 18-5, not 18-6 as listed. ...

post #10869 of 10877 Old 09-09-2019, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Thank you for confirming this. I hope this is a technical issue. I assume KSCI didn't really yank those subchannels out. I couldn't find anything about that if it was true.
I am the San Fernando Valley and see KSCI 18.1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and .12 at 0428 on Monday.
post #10870 of 10877 Old 09-09-2019, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATV View Post
I am the San Fernando Valley and see KSCI 18.1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and .12 at 0428 on Monday.
Yeah ...

Although you shouldn't have an 18-6 now. And you should see an 18-14 with just a graphic right now that says;

"Waiting for network input."

post #10871 of 10877 Old 09-30-2019, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
New channel DABL

DABL- Pets and food channel now going at 2-3
Decades is now at 11-4.
Anyone still getting retro-tv
phildaant likes this.
post #10872 of 10877 Old 09-30-2019, 03:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitcomics View Post
DABL- Pets and food channel now going at 2-3

Decades is now at 11-4.

Anyone still getting retro-tv
Thanks for the update ...

And beyond being happy to no longer have to rely on KAZA-54's host KHTV-CD 6 sub-par signal for DECADES channel.

Also glad to see KTTV (FOX) didn't try to torture KCOP 13 any further by stealing the bandwidth from there for the DECADES channel. And are finally using some of the bandwidth from RF ch. 11 this time.

As for Retro-TV, I thought it was supposed to be broadcasting on KWHY 22-2 by now, but hasn't happened. In fact my OTA TiVo has the programming for it in the guide for weeks now.

But so far just Spanish programs of 22-2. ...

So don't know what happened to Retro-TV's sheduled launch there ...

phildaant likes this.
post #10873 of 10877 Old 10-02-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
Thanks for the update ...

And beyond being happy to no longer have to rely on KAZA-54's host KHTV-CD 6 sub-par signal for DECADES channel.

Also glad to see KTTV (FOX) didn't try to torture KCOP 13 any further by stealing the bandwidth from there for the DECADES channel. And are finally using some of the bandwidth from RF ch. 11 this time.

As for Retro-TV, I thought it was supposed to be broadcasting on KWHY 22-2 by now, but hasn't happened. In fact my OTA TiVo has the programming for it in the guide for weeks now.

But so far just Spanish programs of 22-2. ...

So don't know what happened to Retro-TV's sheduled launch there ...

They may be having financial problems, maybe they trying to sell the station. It could be lack of advertisers at the local level. Update..Their parent corporation is on an acquisition run of other stations (radio) they may just be distracted.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by tenthplanet; 10-02-2019 at 07:54 PM.
post #10874 of 10877 Old 10-08-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 601
KTLA Reception

Murphy's Law - out of the major broadcast channels, the *only* one that I consistently have glitchy reception is KTLA. But, now that fall TV is upon us, I realize that a significant percentage of the new shows I want to watch are on The CW, carried locally by KTLA.

Anyone else having KTLA issues these days?
post #10875 of 10877 Old 10-09-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
Murphy's Law - out of the major broadcast channels, the *only* one that I consistently have glitchy reception is KTLA. But, now that fall TV is upon us, I realize that a significant percentage of the new shows I want to watch are on The CW, carried locally by KTLA.

Somehow their one million watts from 3218 feet up isn't reaching your home. Trees and buildings in the way?

Will the last subscriber leaving Dish Network please turn off the satellite.
post #10876 of 10877 Old 10-09-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
Somehow their one million watts from 3218 feet up isn't reaching your home. Trees and buildings in the way?
No trees or buildings, I'm pretty much line of sight and only about 20 miles away.

It's weird because every other major station is rock solid. KTLA is *sometimes* OK but *frequently* not at all - it must be related to weather, some weird multipath interference, something to do with Burbank airport...I don't know. Will have to futz around with my antenna positioning, which I'm reluctant to do because all the other channels are so solid...
rdvegas likes this.
post #10877 of 10877 Old 10-10-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post

On and off, when dealing with UHF stations and multipath moving up and down in frequency can make a big difference. If you're watching CW shows try the free streaming app it actually works well.
dschulz likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
ch 2.1 , ch 43.1 , grand wega , kcbs , pasadena ca

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page