Champaign, IL - HDTV - Page 176 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #5251 of 5263 Old 05-04-2020, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCIAchief View Post
We are receiving multiple reception complaints from Springfield WCIX OTA viewers. We are at the exact same height, same antenna, same power, etc. but on Channel 11 instead of Channel 13. I have checked the Rice-Longley coverage maps and can discern no difference between the two channels nor do I see any obvious interference sources. So, all I can do is ask folks to try moving their antenna or try to get more height.

bmarchand, good to hear that you are getting the same signal strength as before. And trust me I would also prefer UHF but that is above my pay grade.

Tim, I do hear you on the Comcast channel lineup but there's not much I can do as a local station chief. I will mention it to my Champaign Comcast technical contact but doubt he would have any more pull on that than I do. Maybe an angry mob of Comcast customers?
I am surprised WCIX did not need a new antenna to move to channel 11 as most stations are getting new antennas and transmitters. I guess just a new transmitter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 5263 Old 05-04-2020, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarchand View Post
I am surprised WCIX did not need a new antenna to move to channel 11 as most stations are getting new antennas and transmitters. I guess just a new transmitter?
We performed an analysis on both the transmission line and antenna prior to the switch and both were wideband enough to accommodate the new channel.

I'm emailing several viewers at the moment who also say they started having issues with WCIX even before we switched channels. Have you noticed any signal impairments in the past week or so?
post #5253 of 5263 Old 05-04-2020, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
We performed an analysis on both the transmission line and antenna prior to the switch and both were wideband enough to accommodate the new channel.

Ok, thanks.

I'm emailing several viewers at the moment who also say they started having issues with WCIX even before we switched channels. Have you noticed any signal impairments in the past week or so?
I use a Channel Master Stream+ DVR and a Channel Master DVR+ to record or watch a few CBS programs and the news off WCIX 49.2 and I have had no signal impairments on WCIX the past week. Those are the last two Channel Master DVR's. I do not watch 49.1, 49.3, or 49.4.

I wonder if they could be using a UHF antenna to receive WCIX that could receive channel 13 better than channel 11. As I said before I have an Antennas Direct C5 VHF antenna in the attic that works very well for WCIX and receive a signal at 100 percent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5254 of 5263 Old 05-04-2020, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
We are receiving multiple reception complaints from Springfield WCIX OTA viewers. We are at the exact same height, same antenna, same power, etc. but on Channel 11 instead of Channel 13.
Well for myself, if anything, WCIX is coming in even stronger than it was before...but I'm using a mid-sized Winegard actual all-band antenna. (you know, like installers actually installed on roofs & towers back in the "old days") So not surprised by my results.

BUT I do have a suggestion for viewers w/reception issues, that's going to sound kinda crazy...but I went thru it myself, so I know it could be an issue for others...

When I installed my Winegard antenna in my attic a few years ago, I had NO reception problems for any of our local channels. Even WILL came with decent signal strength, though of course, it was the weakest of the lot for obvious reasons being over here on the west side of Springfield. Then all of a sudden a couple years ago, I started having problems with BOTH WILL & WCIX - both would come & go at random times. Again considering the antenna I was using, along with an all-band amp, should not have issues picking up these signals. I even tried moving the antenna on the roof, which made NO difference at all.

I then went online & found posts of OTA viewers having issues with stations that were mostly in the VHF band. What some people discovered, is that they had installed some types of LED light bulbs &/or fixtures in their homes, which certain brands appear to spew out RF "garbage", that falls within the VHF band. Not that unusual, since the VHF band (both low & high band) IS susceptible to that type of interference. And, I just so happened to have recently replaced over 2 dozen can lights with LED retrofit inserts; the lights were some off-brand from Lowes.

So I tested this theory, by shutting off all the LED lights, after which both stations locked solid on my TV & Tivo's. BUT as soon as I turned any/all of them back on, the reception went to hell on both; it was bad on WCIX, but it completely knocked out WILL. So I went to Menards & got a couple of Sylvania retro inserts & tried those in a couple fixtures to test, with all the others removed - NO reception problems whatsoever! So ALL of the Lowes fixtures went back & I replaced all of them with the Sylvania's - again, even with almost 2 dozen fixtures on at once, NO reception problems & haven't had any since.

Last edited by dishrich; 05-04-2020 at 02:55 PM.
post #5255 of 5263 Old 05-05-2020, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post
BUT I do have a suggestion for viewers w/reception issues, that's going to sound kinda crazy...but I went thru it myself, so I know it could be an issue for others...
Thanks dishrich, I hadn't even thought of localized interference. I remember back when we were analog channel 3 we would get the occasional complaint and find out it was a utility transformer up on a pole spewing out RF, real nightmare to track down. I will definitely keep that in mind and have some of these folks try that. Again thank you!
dishrich likes this.
post #5256 of 5263 Old 05-05-2020, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Thanks dishrich, I hadn't even thought of localized interference. I remember back when we were analog channel 3 we would get the occasional complaint and find out it was a utility transformer up on a pole spewing out RF, real nightmare to track down. I will definitely keep that in mind and have some of these folks try that. Again thank you!
I've found that Feit Electric bulbs bleed like heck across portions of the spectrum. When I turn on my bedroom lights, off goes WBBM-TV in Chicago, 60 miles out, on channel 12. Turn the lights off, it comes right back.

My Sylvanias cause very slight interference, but only if the signal is right on the edge of the cliff do I notice it. My former Comcast router in the basement also caused minor interference on the *UHF* channels. RF leakage galore.

Gilbert
post #5257 of 5263 Old 05-11-2020, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
https://www.wandtv.com/news/tower-wo...7fa7d3970.html
Quote:
DECATUR, Ill. (WAND) - WAND is in the process of replacing the main top mounted antenna,as required. While work is underway, you may experience a disruption in signal.
The interruptions and signal strength only impacts those who receive us over-the-air by antenna.
Crews working say they expect the project will be completed this week. There have been and may be interruptions to our over the air signal to allow work to be done safely.
Once the project is completed, WAND's signal should be at full capacity and reaching Central Illinois homes with a stronger signal.
bmarchand likes this.
post #5258 of 5263 Old 05-14-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarchand View Post
Ok, it sounds like the PBS Kids channel is not on WMEC and WQEC yet then although the press release said it was.
This was in yesterday's SJR...so does this mean that PBS Kids, is now on WMEC & WQEC?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PBSK ad.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	2726384  
post #5259 of 5263 Old 05-22-2020, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

W23EW-D, 3ABN popped up on a TV today when I did a rescan. The tower appears to be in Rochester:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....8480016&site=1
post #5260 of 5263 Old 05-24-2020, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post
W23EW-D, 3ABN popped up on a TV today when I did a rescan. The tower appears to be in Rochester:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....8480016&site=1
Did you get all four of their subchannels, per RabbitEars: 41.1 3ABN, 41.5 3ABN Radio, 41.6 3ABN Radio Latino, 41.7 Radio 74?

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...lity_id=181987
post #5261 of 5263 Old 05-25-2020, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WOW - 17, 20, 23 & 55 are ALL down now...

edit: all were finally back on before 10PM
sebenste likes this.

Last edited by dishrich; 05-26-2020 at 01:36 PM.
post #5262 of 5263 Old 06-02-2020, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Buzzr 18.1 picture but no sound

Buzzr on 18.1 has had solid picture but no sound this evening OTA in Urbana.
18.2 18.3 and 18.4 are fine so it may be a Buzzr feed issue.
It streams fine with sound on PlutoTV.
mkj

Last edited by mkjnovak; 06-02-2020 at 06:48 PM. Reason: updated info
post #5263 of 5263 Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Buzzr 18.1 is fine today

Buzzr 18.1 is fine OTA in Urbana today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjnovak View Post
Buzzr on 18.1 has had solid picture but no sound this evening OTA in Urbana.
18.2 18.3 and 18.4 are fine so it may be a Buzzr feed issue.
It streams fine with sound on PlutoTV.
mkj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page