Champaign, IL - HDTV - Page 177 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #5281 of 5293 Old 06-19-2020, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dishrich, I am glad to hear. Thanks for the update.

An update on the new WSEC tower:

The last piece of the tower was added on Thursday afternoon getting to full height. Today on Friday WSEC is at 50 percent power again during the day until 1900 as the ERI crew is attaching the fifth and final set of guy wires through the current Channel 15 antenna.

They also need to finish the transmission line to the top.

The last I heard was the new WSEC channel 18 top-mounted antenna might be installed on Sunday.

Last edited by bmarchand; 06-19-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 5293 Old 06-23-2020, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarchand View Post
I do not know about Rovi. The information about waiting on Gracenote and PBS came from the person who is designing the new website and I pasted it along here to help explain what the holdup is. And our program director deals with the tv schedule listings. But if you see a wrong TV listing please tell me and I can pass it along as we are trying to track down wrong tv listings.
The program information on Gracenote for PBS Kids is an hour behind on WSIU 8.4 and WUSI 16.4. The PSIP listings from 16.4 are correct, as are the Gracenote listings for WSEC 14.4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WSIU Zap2It TV Listings.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	2747510   Click image for larger version

Name:	WUSI Zap2It TV Listings.JPG
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	2747512   Click image for larger version

Name:	WSEC Zap2It TV Listings.JPG
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	2747514   Click image for larger version

Name:	WUSI 16-4 Program Info.jpg
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2747516   Click image for larger version

Name:	WUSI 16-4 PSIP Listings.jpg
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2747518  

post #5283 of 5293 Old 06-23-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFan893 View Post
The program information on Gracenote for PBS Kids is an hour behind on WSIU 8.4 and WUSI 16.4. The PSIP listings from 16.4 are correct, as are the Gracenote listings for WSEC 14.4.
Thank you for letting me know. I sent an email to my supervisor about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5284 of 5293 Old 06-25-2020, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Dishrich, I am glad to hear. Thanks for the update.

An update on the new WSEC tower:

The last piece of the tower was added on Thursday afternoon getting to full height.
This evening, due to the very clear skies, I was able to barely detect both WSEC towers all the way from the south edge of Chatham (from near Chatham Elementary and as you head out of town going west on County Road/Goldenrod Drive). On clear days and nights we can see both the day and night beacon lights from the tower all the way over here.
bmarchand likes this.
post #5285 of 5293 Old 06-27-2020, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
If anyone has any questions I will try and answer but we do not work in engineering. I work for WSEC under Darryl in programming. I was able to go back to work this month in Chatham so I know a little more. Many are still working from home in Carbondale. As of Friday, June 12, the new tower is up to 687 feet in Franklin. The total height will be 975.8 feet. I have seen the new pictures today. The ice bridge foundation was also poured today. I briefly talked to an engineer this week and tried to ask what the progress is. They are very busy. I think the STA was filed in an abundance of caution. It is going to be close if everything is ready by July 3. It is possible it gets finished or maybe a little after. And it sounds like WSEC will have to be off the air to switch out transmitters. I had not heard that before. Weather conditions will affect the time table. They had to stop working when there were high winds this past week for a day or two.

I was able to confirm that the PBS Kids channel is not on yet on WMEC and WQEC. WMEC is ready to go and WQEC is almost ready. The target date is around July 10. The holdup has been the NetVX encoders.

The PBS Kids 24/7 schedule is in progress. We are waiting for Gracenote and PBS to add this to our API.

A new website is being built to include all the information for all the stations. I have access to it online but it is not public yet because it is not finished. Even after it launches more things will be added.

Hi. I live half way between Champaign and Chicago. My tiny town that had dial up internet for the past 20+ years got fiber optic. For TV, I had Dish Network. On Dish, my locals were Champaign-Springfield-Decatur. I canceled Dish, got a Roku and signed up for Youtube TV. WSEC was one of 3 PBS stations I got on Dish. Youtube TV has no PBS stations on it. Flirting with the idea of Putting up a new antenna that may or may not work so I can maybe pull in WILL in Champaign. That's how I ended up here. And now I see somebody that works at WSEC, I have a question about streaming WSEC. I've been Googleing Trying to find out if any of the PBS stations, that are available to me, have any plans to start streaming. I found a website called The Streamable and they say you can get WSEC on Youtube TV. This is my first post, you have to be a member for a while here to post a link but, if you Google " How to stream WSEC" the first result is The Streamable's website. My question is, are they correct? Are they sort of correct, WSEC planning to soon, website jumped the gun?

Thanks for reading this far. Miss the News Hour, cooking shows on Saturday and British show Saturday night.

post #5286 of 5293 Old 06-27-2020, 03:51 PM

Hi Bob411,

No, I am pretty sure we have no plans to stream our signal. But you can still watch most PBS primetime programs through the PBS app on Roku on-demand for free. They are available for a few weeks after they air before they are pulled. I watch it sometimes. Most programs become available as they are airing. Newshour is available on the PBS app on Roku too. There are a several other PBS programs available there too. You can also watch the local programs Illinois Stories and Capitolview on the WSEC youtube page. All that is free. For older PBS programs you can join WSIU Passport. I am not sure how much it costs but there you can watch older programs. I do not have it so I do not know a lot about it but I am just letting you know. WSIU passport would have the British dramas we air on Saturday night. Some cooking shows are available on Roku. I just saw America's Test Kitchen has there own channel on Roku. So if there is a specific program you wanted to watch you can try and search for it online and see if it is available to watch. I hope that helps you get most of your programs you wanted to watch.
post #5287 of 5293 Old 06-28-2020, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hi Bob411,

No, I am pretty sure we have no plans to stream our signal. But you can still watch most PBS primetime programs through the PBS app on Roku on-demand for free. They are available for a few weeks after they air before they are pulled. I watch it sometimes. Most programs become available as they are airing. Newshour is available on the PBS app on Roku too. There are a several other PBS programs available there too. You can also watch the local programs Illinois Stories and Capitolview on the WSEC youtube page. All that is free. For older PBS programs you can join WSIU Passport. I am not sure how much it costs but there you can watch older programs. I do not have it so I do not know a lot about it but I am just letting you know. WSIU passport would have the British dramas we air on Saturday night. Some cooking shows are available on Roku. I just saw America's Test Kitchen has there own channel on Roku. So if there is a specific program you wanted to watch you can try and search for it online and see if it is available to watch. I hope that helps you get most of your programs you wanted to watch.

Thank you so much.
post #5288 of 5293 Old 06-30-2020, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
So everything is looking good to meet the Friday, July 3 deadline at 10:00.

Both WICS & WRSP updated their repack date to now be tomorrow 7/1 - does this mean that WSEC will be doing the same...or will they be going off the air altogether until 7/3???
WSEC's website also has a notice that they are off of DirecTV only & are working to restore service...but no other notices though re: repack - wouldn't be a good idea if they did?

edit: upon checking my DTVpal converter, it appears that WSEC is currently running BOTH signals (15 & 18), as they show the same transport ID - but the 15 signal appears to be a black screen...what IS up with that?

edit 2: in this year 2020 I actually called WSIU, since nobody can be bothered to update ANYTHING on a website &/or social media - supposedly they are repacking tomorrow "sometime"....this is just sad...

Last edited by dishrich; 06-30-2020 at 01:24 PM.
post #5289 of 5293 Old 06-30-2020, 05:00 PM

I have not got any updates from our engineering in the last week. I know we planned to be on the air on channel 18 on July 1 and are running spots saying that. I assume we will be. Currently, on Tuesday night we are still on channel 15 and channel 18 is off. We must have been testing when you saw it.
post #5290 of 5293 Old 06-30-2020, 05:31 PM

Is WRSP also repacking tomorrow?
post #5291 of 5293 Old 06-30-2020, 05:34 PM

Yes, WRSP is also.
post #5292 of 5293 Old 07-01-2020, 06:09 PM

Looks like WICS, WRSP, and WSEC have successfully moved to their new RF homes (15, 16, and 18 respectively), despite this morning's weather. And that the repack has been completed for this market.

Now the next question: Will any of those DTV America licenses, especially in Springfield, ever see the light of day?
post #5293 of 5293 Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Honest to god, Tivo really must have a bunch of morons running the place! After waiting for 2 days for these last repacks to be "corrected" - after I submitted a ticket - Tivo fixed all of them, EXCEPT for WSEC's 4th subchannel only! (And yes, it WAS working correctly BEFORE the repack, so it should have been fixed, just like all the other subchannels on all these stations did)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page