Rockford, IL - HDTV - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1201 of 1245 Old 02-02-2015, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJA28 View Post
1st time I open the attic since we bought the house 7 years ago.not easy to get to .plus we have no use for it.

I wire on the left for dish network I think. the previous owner lift .we use Comcast now .
Ok cool looks like you have good access up there. I use a RCA antenna I bought at Menards, I think it was model ANT3636 or something like that. Unless you want to order online, Menards has a pretty good selection of antenna supplies. You could hang a 2x4 from the joists up there (ant. would hang from ceiling) and mount on that or put it on a tripod from Menards. ($25) I would go with the tripod, easier to rotate for adjustment. If you go with a RCA antenna from there, get the biggest one that will fit up there - Remember if you want to get Chicago stations you need to point the skinny end of the antenna east - so measure accordingly. If you want Rockford (may be easier to receive), you need to point northwest - again measure accordingly. Measuring up there will let you know how big of an antenna you can get up there, mine is huge when unfolded!
As for the Rats nest of wires you have up there, bypass all of it and run a single cable out of your attic to your TV (temporary) Then you can point your antenna for the best signal, lock in place and then "hardwire" it using those cables up there. Remember, the more you cable length you run and the more you split it, the signal degrades.
If you want to order online, I was looking at his antenna : http://dennysantennaservice.com/hd_s...enna-html.html
That antenna was the one my friend is using in Tilton Park (off of North 1st street) I KNOW it works good.
The RCA antennas at Menards are cheaper, mine was $70 they have a smaller that was $50
You might want to consider a amplifier. I am using a cheap RCA single output 12db amplifier, it really helped the signal. You can get that at Menards too. I think Wal-mart has it also.
Good Luck and post back with your results!
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1245 Old 02-02-2015, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudd123 View Post
Ok cool looks like you have good access up there. I use a RCA antenna I bought at Menards, I think it was model ANT3636 or something like that. Unless you want to order online, Menards has a pretty good selection of antenna supplies. You could hang a 2x4 from the joists up there (ant. would hang from ceiling) and mount on that or put it on a tripod from Menards. ($25) I would go with the tripod, easier to rotate for adjustment. If you go with a RCA antenna from there, get the biggest one that will fit up there - Remember if you want to get Chicago stations you need to point the skinny end of the antenna east - so measure accordingly. If you want Rockford (may be easier to receive), you need to point northwest - again measure accordingly. Measuring up there will let you know how big of an antenna you can get up there, mine is huge when unfolded!
As for the Rats nest of wires you have up there, bypass all of it and run a single cable out of your attic to your TV (temporary) Then you can point your antenna for the best signal, lock in place and then "hardwire" it using those cables up there. Remember, the more you cable length you run and the more you split it, the signal degrades.
If you want to order online, I was looking at his antenna : http://dennysantennaservice.com/hd_s...enna-html.html
That antenna was the one my friend is using in Tilton Park (off of North 1st street) I KNOW it works good.
The RCA antennas at Menards are cheaper, mine was $70 they have a smaller that was $50
You might want to consider a amplifier. I am using a cheap RCA single output 12db amplifier, it really helped the signal. You can get that at Menards too. I think Wal-mart has it also.
Good Luck and post back with your results!
Mike
Thanks for the help. if the attic option doesn't work the 2ed option is going to cost me a lot with labor($200 and up just for labor?) .here goes my savings for the cz 75 .lol
post #1203 of 1245 Old 02-04-2015, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hey MJA28,

I'm on the north side of DeKalb. I can't put an antenna outside due to restrictions in our subdivision. In the attic of a one-story, I have a ChannelMaster 4228 and a large, VHF-only, channel 2-13 antenna to pick up WBBM. I get everything clear, except WBBM comes in a little choppy at times. All the Rockford stations except WREX come in off the side of the antenna with no problem. I am using the ChannelMaster 7777 preamplifier. And although I need to slightly adjust my VHF antenna, everything but WBBM comes in glitch-free.

A ChannelMaster 4228HD should do the trick for all except WBBM, and with a ChannelMaster 7777, as long as you have a good east view with no major buildings blocking you, I say you have a good shot at getting everything you want.

Gilbert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1245 Old 02-05-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post
Hey MJA28,

I'm on the north side of DeKalb. I can't put an antenna outside due to restrictions in our subdivision. In the attic of a one-story, I have a ChannelMaster 4228 and a large, VHF-only, channel 2-13 antenna to pick up WBBM. I get everything clear, except WBBM comes in a little choppy at times. All the Rockford stations except WREX come in off the side of the antenna with no problem. I am using the ChannelMaster 7777 preamplifier. And although I need to slightly adjust my VHF antenna, everything but WBBM comes in glitch-free.

A ChannelMaster 4228HD should do the trick for all except WBBM, and with a ChannelMaster 7777, as long as you have a good east view with no major buildings blocking you, I say you have a good shot at getting everything you want.
WooW.I talked to you years ago.lol

U live in the River mist subdivision?
post #1205 of 1245 Old 02-05-2015, 03:23 PM

By the way. My attic is facing First st
post #1206 of 1245 Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep, I am near there! If you can get the antenna in the attic and point it east, you've got a good shot at getting at least most of the stations.
post #1207 of 1245 Old 02-15-2016, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone else noticed with live musical performances on CBS the audio mix is wrong? With both the Super Bowl halftime and the granny's performances I get the mix only out of my left front channel. However the rest of the show comes through fine in all channels. Do I have something weird going on or is everyone getting the same thing?
post #1208 of 1245 Old 06-13-2016, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Is there some sort of issue with the transmission towers of WIFR (23) & WQRF (39) from Rockford? I’m in Beloit, WI with a rooftop antenna, I get 13 & 17 from Rockford & all the Madison channels. 23 pixelates a lot and 39 hardly wants to come in at all. I’m just wondering if it’s me or them? I’m hoping they’re involved in an upgrade and soon their signal will improve.

Thanks!
post #1209 of 1245 Old 06-14-2016, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadboss View Post
Is there some sort of issue with the transmission towers of WIFR (23) & WQRF (39) from Rockford? I’m in Beloit, WI with a rooftop antenna, I get 13 & 17 from Rockford & all the Madison channels. 23 pixelates a lot and 39 hardly wants to come in at all. I’m just wondering if it’s me or them? I’m hoping they’re involved in an upgrade and soon their signal will improve.

Thanks!
Hey Roadboss,

They are at full power. If you don't point your antenna at their Rockford towers, even from Beloit, you'll have issues. 39 is at high power, but is low on their tower. 23 is at 100,000 watts...enough to cover the metro if you have a decent antenna pointed at it.

Gilbert
post #1210 of 1245 Old 06-14-2016, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks Sebenste,
Height must be my problem then. I’m in the turtle creek bottoms and my antenna is only about 20’ high. It’s frustrating that I get 13 & 17 so well and have problems with 39 especially.
post #1211 of 1245 Old 03-28-2018, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone else having issues getting 23.1 23.2 or 23.3 OTA?
The last 2 days the signal was low and the picture would come in all scrambled, to the point it was unwatchable. Today on all 3 stations I just get a weak or no signal message. I know my antenna is working cause if I unplug the amplifier the 13 stations jitter then come back, but not quite as strong. When I plug it back in, it jitters again and then comes in crystal clear.
I messaged WIFR on their facebook page but they were of no help.

post #1212 of 1245 Old 03-28-2018, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It should be noted here that since 5/31/2017, WIFR has been operating OTA on a low-power license. From what I can gather, they're currently on a 15 kW special temporary authority. Their previous full-power signal was 100 kW.
post #1213 of 1245 Old 03-28-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Polly View Post
It should be noted here that since 5/31/2017, WIFR has been operating OTA on a low-power license. From what I can gather, they're currently on a 15 kW special temporary authority. Their previous full-power signal was 100 kW.
Yeah I knew they switched, and switched signal station identifiers or whatever. But up until today everything was working fine.

post #1214 of 1245 Old 03-28-2018, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captclueless View Post
Yeah I knew they switched, and switched signal station identifiers or whatever. But up until today everything was working fine.
Given that we had a temperature inversion, and given that WIFR is now only at 15 kilowatts, I would expect this to happen. Unless water got into your connectors (if you have an outdoor antenna), I would say wait and see what happens tomorrow. If it is still continuing, check your connections (and connectors) to make sure all are snug.

Gilbert
post #1215 of 1245 Old 03-29-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Given that we had a temperature inversion, and given that WIFR is now only at 15 kilowatts, I would expect this to happen. Unless water got into your connectors (if you have an outdoor antenna), I would say wait and see what happens tomorrow. If it is still continuing, check your connections (and connectors) to make sure all are snug.
Antenna is an indoor one, Mohu leaf antenna. And like I said, up until Tuesday it worked perfectly fine. I wonder how many other people are having issues. I would put an antenna in my attic or on my roof but was really trying to avoid that. I could try a new antenna but I like the low profile of the mohu leaf. I would also try replacing the amplifier. Maybe it went bad? Although I don't think it did, since when I unplug it, all the other stations still come in, but not quite as well, when I plug it back in, they all come in great, except for lousy WIFR.

post #1216 of 1245 Old 03-29-2018, 06:58 AM

The website suggests pointing the antenna to the west, which mine already is, and says that you can try channel 41.1 which is WIFR-LD's actual channel number. I may try that tonight.

post #1217 of 1245 Old 09-07-2018, 03:39 PM

Man I really hate 23. I cant get that damn channel to come in reliably at all again. Literally nothing changed on my end. Went from months of it working perfect to not even being able to get a signal anymore, on any of the 23- stations. All the other channels come in perfectly fine. I unplugged my antenna and plugged it back in. when I unplugged it none of the channels came in, when i plugged it back in, everything came back except 23, as usual. wtf is wrong with their signal?

post #1218 of 1245 Old 09-07-2018, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Man I really hate 23. I cant get that damn channel to come in reliably at all again. Literally nothing changed on my end. Went from months of it working perfect to not even being able to get a signal anymore, on any of the 23- stations. All the other channels come in perfectly fine. I unplugged my antenna and plugged it back in. when I unplugged it none of the channels came in, when i plugged it back in, everything came back except 23, as usual. wtf is wrong with their signal?
They reduced their power to 15kW so they're not as strong as they once were.
post #1219 of 1245 Old 09-13-2018, 01:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

New subchannels this week:

WIFR-TV 23.4 is now ION
WQRF 42.5 (on my TV) is now Escape

Gilbert
post #1220 of 1245 Old 09-22-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar View Post
They reduced their power to 15kW so they're not as strong as they once were.

Yeah, they suck. And ever since they did that, even on a completely clear day, like today, I can't get any of the 23- channels to come in.
Used to have no problem at all.

post #1221 of 1245 Old 09-22-2018, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 165
The reason they reduced their power is because they got 50 million bucks for the full power station in the auction. Gray said originally that they would channel share with someone. But that didnt happen so Gray had a low powered station around that they bought from DTV America. They ended up putting the signal on the low powered signal which the max power of a UHF LP station is 15,000 watts.
post #1222 of 1245 Old 09-22-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
The reason they reduced their power is because they got 50 million bucks for the full power station in the auction. Gray said originally that they would channel share with someone. But that didnt happen so Gray had a low powered station around that they bought from DTV America. They ended up putting the signal on the low powered signal which the max power of a UHF LP station is 15,000 watts.
I don't know about all that, all I know is that nothing changed on my end, and now the station sucks balls.

post #1223 of 1245 Old 09-22-2018, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
I don't know about all that, all I know is that nothing changed on my end, and now the station sucks balls.
well when they had the full power license they broadcasted at 170,000 watts. Now that they are considered low power the max they can do is 15,000 watts.
The tower height is the same and the same location (northwest of town)
post #1224 of 1245 Old 05-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
WREX 13.4 and 13.5 should be live OTA now. 13.4 will be CourtTV which launches May 8, and 13.5 is Justice Network which was formerly on 23.3 from 5/2015 to 9/2017.
sebenste likes this.
post #1225 of 1245 Old 10-23-2019, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One of the WIFR-LD employees posted a picture of two men mounting channel 28 and channel 35 side-arm antennas on their tower back on October 15th (give or take a day, I don't remember exactly when that was). WIFR has to move off of physical channel 41, and 28 is the best they can do sandwiched between 4 markets. They have a FCC construction permit to do this, but they are required to have a signal null to the east-northeast to protect megawatt WISN in Milwaukee, broadcasting on the same channel. Tropo ducting should wipe out their signal just east of town, through Belvidere and beyond. Even for Belvidere, WIFR will be not be an easy catch on channel 28 with an antenna. This is because of the FCC-mandated channel repack, which is compressing the broadcast band from channels 2-36 instead of 2-51.

WQRF will move from 42 to 36 by mid-April. Both stations have not disclosed a date as to when they are going to move, but it won't be long.

Last edited by sebenste; 10-31-2019 at 10:05 AM.
post #1226 of 1245 Old 10-27-2019, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can anyone pickup WFBN’s new channel 28 (35.1) from the WIFR tower? It is now on air.
post #1227 of 1245 Old 10-28-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmicrowave View Post
Can anyone pickup WFBN’s new channel 28 (35.1) from the WIFR tower? It is now on air.
It tries to lock on the northwest side of DeKalb, but gets too much interference from another station to my east.

Gilbert
post #1228 of 1245 Old 10-28-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A buddy of mine has two ChannelMaster 4228 HD antennas in his attic on the north side of DeKalb. One is pointed toward Rockford, the other is pointed toward Chicago. The one that is pointed toward Chicago gets a steady signal and lock, with no picture of The one that is pointed toward Chicago gets a low, steady signal and lock, with no picture break ups on WCIU channel 26. The other, pointed toward Rockford, gets a low to moderate steady signal with no picture of break ups from WFBN channel 35. Not bad...
post #1229 of 1245 Old 10-31-2019, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
One of the WIFR-LD employees posted a picture of two men mounting a channel 28 side-arm antenna on their tower back on October 15th (give or take a day, I don't remember exactly when that was). They have to move off of physical channel 41, and 28 is the best they can do sandwiched between 4 markets. They have a FCC construction permit to do this, but they are required to have a signal null to the east-northeast to protect megawatt WITI in Milwaukee, broadcasting on the same channel. Tropo ducting should wipe out their signal just east of town, through Belvidere and beyond. Even for Belvidere, WIFR will be not be an easy catch on channel 28 with an antenna. This is because of the FCC-mandated channel repack, which is compressing the broadcast band from channels 2-36 instead of 2-51.
It's WISN-12 that is on RF 28 now, WITI-6 is on 31.
Either way, WISN is now stronger for me than it ever was on RF34, and will destroy any hope of getting WIFR. I would imagine that most of Belvidere will be out of luck too, as will those up on the Marengo Ridge (where Milwaukee stations are very strong).
Any chance WIFR piggybacks on one of the other three? Even just the main CBS would be helpful. Even if it's an SD subchannel.
post #1230 of 1245 Old 10-31-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beranek View Post
It's WISN-12 that is on RF 28 now, WITI-6 is on 31.
Either way, WISN is now stronger for me than it ever was on RF34, and will destroy any hope of getting WIFR. I would imagine that most of Belvidere will be out of luck too, as will those up on the Marengo Ridge (where Milwaukee stations are very strong).
Any chance WIFR piggybacks on one of the other three? Even just the main CBS would be helpful. Even if it's an SD subchannel.
Oops, yep, sorry, I'm still trying to figure out where everybody else has moved in other markets.

To be honest, all the full power stations are loaded up with subchannels, except for 39. And WIFR will throw a null to the east/northeast to protect WISN anyway,
so even Belvidere is unlikely to get it reliably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page