Monterey, CA - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 680 Old 10-07-2005, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In Morgan Hill,

I receive KCBA-DT (FOX), KSBW-DT (NBC), and KCAH-DT (PBS)

Is anyone in this area able to pick up more than this, I am currently using, a
radio shack amplified indoor antenna, pointing south by window. I am pretty
much receiving what the antennaweb indicates. Almost poked my eye out
trying to assemble a CM3020, and this thing didn't get anything. So what
options do I have to increase my dtv content. I really like to get the KION
CBS, when are they going to go full power. Anyone care share the Morgan
Hill dtv options recommendations?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 680 Old 10-18-2005, 10:28 AM

what do you mean it's up on the system?
thanks,
-r
post #63 of 680 Old 10-23-2005, 06:24 PM

Sorry have not checked the site in a while. with the tv's built in QAM tuner it recieved KNTV and KGO both of which we do not get with the comcast box. This was in scotts valley a couple of blocks from the head end if that means anything. No there was not an antenna hooked up. got 3 KGO channels. If anyone has a tv with a tuner try it. I never understood how we would have to wait for the fiber ring to be extended to Santa Cruz to receive ABC when we recieve pbs from the same location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 680 Old 11-04-2005, 09:38 AM

when i was going through the "HD" listings on titantv.com for comcast of santa cruz, i noticed they mentioned channel 400 as sending HD sports at times.

it's officially listed as "comcast sports net."
has anyone seen if it actually does give HD when it says it would?

i wonder how many of you are using the new 6412 box, too. i heard sd channels supposedly look better.

thanks,
-r
post #65 of 680 Old 11-06-2005, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 293
The second round of digital channel selections is now complete. All stations in the San Francisco-Sacramento-Salinas-Monterey area have made their final channel selection, so we have updated our Digital/HDTV Channel Listing to show the latest information.

Included are two lists:

One that shows Present Digital and Analog Channel, PSIP designation, Final Channel, Call Letters, Network, City of License, Transmitter Location and various notes.

A second list that shows "Digital Channels After Analog Shutdown", indicating all of the proposed final assignments. Not all have been approved by the FCC, so there might be a few minor changes forthcoming if there are interference conflicts.

You can check it all out at:
http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.larrykenney.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.larrykenney.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #66 of 680 Old 02-03-2006, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know if KGO ABC will ever put a tower in Monterey County or any plans to? We have Charter Cable down here in Soledad but they don't have any HDTV here yet.
post #67 of 680 Old 02-03-2006, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
FYI:

For all those Comcast HD users in Santa Cruz, Comcast will be airing the Superbowl in HD on channel 707. Apparently it's only for one day which really makes me question why we don't get the ABC HD feed as part of the package, but at least we'll be able to watch the game in HD!!
post #68 of 680 Old 02-04-2006, 02:05 AM

i know... in some ways it's almost more frustrating to see it for only a day than not at all.

oddly enough, it truly is the local kgo feed so whatever they were saying about the "fiber ring build out" is moot. obviously the infrastructure is in place to make this happen. also, if the county is stopping it (which i was also told by comcast) then i seriously doubt they would have some legal provision "for the super bowl."

anyway, it's on now (saturday) and when i go through the program guide, it's showing as available indefinitely.

i hope they make this channel stick. i would love to watch the NBA in hd finally.

i would also like to know when they will add more hd stations, it's about time they do, imo.

-r
post #69 of 680 Old 02-06-2006, 04:13 PM

I live in the live oak area of santa cruz, and just bought a 50" SXRD Sony LCD Projection, I came home and plugged in my BASIC COMCAST CABLE, and I am getting all of the Local HD Channels that one would recieve with OTA. I don't understand it, when I bought my TV I also bought a TERK OTA HD dish, but It looks like I can return it! I get ABC, FOX, NBC, CBS, as well as some channels I never had before like movieplex and a few other 480p or higher channels! I guess it finally paid to stick with basic cable? Has anyone else been able to get these channels through their cable?
post #70 of 680 Old 02-06-2006, 04:21 PM

yep. I've got a panasonic with a QAM tuner and I was getting the basic HD channels over the cable before comcast actually starting renting hd boxes. I even got HBO in HD sporadically, and this was all with just a basic cable subscription, not even the digital cable.

one little gotcha. if you do use the comcast digital box, you won't get ABC in HD. that was a bummer when I got the digital package with motorala DVR. they told me at the local comcast office that they were still working out a deal with ABC. I still get ABC in HD when I switch back to my built-in tuner, but I can't view or record it on the DVR. luckily they did add it to the digital lineup for superbowl sunday so I could record and use the instant replay features. it's gone now though.
post #71 of 680 Old 04-04-2006, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
VOD relelased in Monterey/Salinas today

Only need a digital cable box.

Finally!!
post #72 of 680 Old 04-04-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post

VOD relelased in Monterey/Salinas today

Only need a digital cable box.

Finally!!

now if only I could get ABC
post #73 of 680 Old 04-26-2006, 08:43 PM

Don't know if you guys notice or know NBC KSBW has thire weather plus DTV channel up and running on 8-2 good info on local weather 24/7
post #74 of 680 Old 06-19-2006, 02:30 PM

Does anyone know what channel 27-7 Arizis? I just did a rescan today and that channel pop up?
post #75 of 680 Old 06-25-2006, 09:03 AM

Stony...

can I ask what channel ABC HD comes in on? I live over in the Pleasure point area and can't pick it up when hooked up to the comcast feed. I do get an ABC but it is so pixelated that I can't watch it. What tuner are you using? I bought the Samsung T-451 in a vain attempt to pick up ABC HD (Need to be able to watch the Worlc Cup on it!)

thx
Tony
post #76 of 680 Old 06-25-2006, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDdude24 View Post

Does anyone know what channel 27-7 Arizis? I just did a rescan today and that channel pop up?

It is KCBA Fox 35. Someone made a mistake at the station and sent the wrong PSIP information which caused your receiver to think it was a new channel. It has happened a couple of times now. Just delete it.
post #77 of 680 Old 06-25-2006, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me View Post

I live in the Peninsula. With standard cable I can't pick up the above stations. I would have thought I could. Am I doing something wrong?

You can't receive the San Francisco digital stations via cable. You need a good antenna with preamp and a favorable location like PG, New Monterey, Hidden Hills or some areas in upper Pebble Beach.
post #78 of 680 Old 06-26-2006, 11:39 PM

i am in the sc mtns (ben lomond) and i've had comcast now for over a year. i'm about to lose it, though, based on lack of hd additions. it looks like everyone else gets inhd or kgo near us. santa cruz comcast packages are weak.

has anyone heard of anything new on the horizon? if not, i am seriously thinking about switching.

thanks.
-r
post #79 of 680 Old 07-17-2006, 11:10 AM

Last week, KION 46 came in great, over the air
This week, no signal at all. What's up with that?
-------
Found out...

John:

Thanks for your email. We had a part fail on us late last week. We
ordered new parts which arrived on Friday, unfortunately they too were
not operational. Our engineering department is currently working on
the
problem and hope to have a working part in hand no later then
tomorrow.
Hopefully we will be back and operational by tomorrow night.

---------------
I'm using a Radio Shack VU-190XR.
I used the transmitter directions found in antennaweb-org
I get KCBA, KTCH and KSBW just fine -- excellent digital signal.
I tuned in KION analog and moved the antenna to get the
best receiption from that direction (its within a few degrees
of the antennaweb compass direction).
post #80 of 680 Old 07-20-2006, 07:57 PM

Thanks for all the great post!

I've been HD for a year. I've got a Sony KDF50-A10 and a Winegard 'wing' antenna. I get:

8.1 - great signal
8.2 - great signal
25.1 - very good signal
31.1 - very good signal
31.2 - very good signal
35.1 - great signal
46.1 - great signal
46.2- great signal

I watch some great football and other great evening show on these channels but got tired of the hit and miss of the 'who cares' over the air broadcast. I mean, I don't think these guys care if the HD signals are broadcasting OTA or not. Seriously, I quote JZWiebel's post "We had a part fail on us late last week. We ordered new parts which arrived on Friday, unfortunately they too were not operational." If I gave that response at work I'd be reprimanded, or fired. Whatever happpend to redundancy?

Moreover, cause I wanted to watch the World Cup, but can't get ABC, and I wanted to watch the Tour de France, but can't get OLN: I got E*'s HD Gold Package for a great into price with their Vip622 receiver. Great package! Bad customer service!!!! Do your research before you order!!!

BaconMan: you get all of Comcast's HD and more with the Gold package! Check it out.

I'm not rich and I have a room mate that splits the cost, sweet! (plus she's cute! ) but if you've paid good money for an HD TV I'd get a good HD service.

BTW, I live in Prunedale and have a good northern view. Do you think I could reach the famed Sutro Tower with a better antena. Anyone got the right antenna for sale???

Chad...

Sony KDF50 A10
E* HD Gold w/Vip622 receiver
Winegard (I forgot the model) wing antenna
post #81 of 680 Old 07-22-2006, 10:12 AM

[quote=HungJury]Thanks for all the great post!

I've been HD for a year. I've got a Sony KDF50-A10 and a Winegard 'wing' antenna. I get:

8.1 - great signal
8.2 - great signal
25.1 - very good signal
31.1 - very good signal
31.2 - very good signal
35.1 - great signal
46.1 - great signal
46.2- great signal

I watch some great football and other great evening show on these channels but got tired of the hit and miss of the 'who cares' over the air broadcast. I mean, I don't think these guys care if the HD signals are broadcasting OTA or not. Seriously, I quote JZWiebel's post "We had a part fail on us late last week. We ordered new parts which arrived on Friday, unfortunately they too were not operational." If I gave that response at work I'd be reprimanded, or fired. Whatever happpend to redundancy?

Moreover, cause I wanted to watch the World Cup, but can't get ABC, and I wanted to watch the Tour de France, but can't get OLN: I got E*'s HD Gold Package for a great into price with their Vip622 receiver. Great package! Bad customer service!!!! Do your research before you order!!!

BTW, I live in Prunedale and have a good northern view. Do you think I could reach the famed Sutro Tower with a better antena. Anyone got the right antenna for sale???

Chad...
Chad,

See PGDave's earlier post in this thread on receiving SF stations OTA.

Seems like you would have a decent shot at receiving SF stations since you are closer to Sutro than PGDave is.

As for ABC in HD, if you are able to get SF OTA then you will be all set. If not, the other option would be to go with Directv, if you are in the Monterey Salinas DMA they will give you KGO (SF ABC Afiiliate) in SD, and upon request they will give you the LA ABC Affiliate in HD. Actually, Dish network *may* be able to give you the same stations, don't know for sure since I'm a D* customer.

If you decide to try for the SF OTA locals, please post your experiences as others here will probably be interested in your results.
post #82 of 680 Old 07-22-2006, 10:45 AM

My Ch46 reception is back up.

I set my antenna to 101deg magnetic.
There is a 14deg East declination in Santa Cruz and it appears that
the directions in the table below (from antennaweb-org) are in relation
to true North. So, I'm "to the right" of the Channel8 signal and "to the left"
of the ch46 channel.

The signal rank is from my TV which can be "bad, normal, or good".
As with all digital, if its there, its there so I can't see the difference on the scrren.
But my experience is that if its just above the borderline between bad and normal,
then reception will be very reliable. I am able to receive "high bad" stations, but
I guess I don't care any more. :-)

(And why don't the spanish stations have an English SAP? Some of
their shows look pretty good. ;-)

Digital Stations
-----------------
KSBW-DT 8.1 101° 30.9 10 low good
KCAH 25 PBS 101° 30.9 25 good
KSMS-DT 31.1 49° 14.6 31 borderline normal
KCBA-DT 35.1 101° 30.9 13 excellent
KION-DT 46.1 129° 36.1 32 low good
post #83 of 680 Old 07-22-2006, 10:46 AM

And I meant to thank Eric at Channel 46 (KION).
Without his help I would not have tried to get 46 back again.
post #84 of 680 Old 08-07-2006, 01:45 PM

I am having a hard time getting KSBW8.1 or KSBW 8.2 OTA.

Currently I am using a WineGuard SS100 Antenna on a second story on the West Side of Santa Cruz - No Major Obstructions, just a few trees blocks away.

I receive 35.1, 46.1, 46.2, 25.1 and the various spanish stations just fine.

35.1 and 8.1 should be at the same location - so I would think that if I can receive 35.1 in OTA HD I should be golden with 8.1 KSBW.

Any tricks I can try with the antenna?
My Set top box is a Hughes HDHTL DirectTV Box

Now that Football is on NBC I need my HDTV for NBC...
post #85 of 680 Old 08-07-2006, 10:43 PM

The STB shouldn't have anything to do with it.

FWIW: When Ch46 went down a few weeks ago, I tried to adjust my antenna to find it.
I had moved it maybe 10deg. I was getting the other stations just fine. I had to get an email from an engineer at 46 to get a clue that it was back up again. I then adjusted my antenna again by 5 deg and there it was.

I have a Radio Shack VU-120 XR. I had orignally purchased a Terk (you want it?) and
it initially got all the stations just fine. But then after a couple of weeks, channel 8 disappeared.
(its "red" on the antennaweb[dot]org site) the Radio shack antenna is one step up from that, blue. I couldn't do anything to get ch8 back with the Terk.

I also found that if I used the antennaweb directions, that I had to subtract the 14deg of magnetic declination to get the ch46 signal (meaning it points about 105deg, or a compromise between ch46 and ch8.
post #86 of 680 Old 08-08-2006, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montl View Post

I am having a hard time getting KSBW8.1 or KSBW 8.2 OTA.

Currently I am using a WineGuard SS100 Antenna on a second story on the West Side of Santa Cruz - No Major Obstructions, just a few trees blocks away.

I receive 35.1, 46.1, 46.2, 25.1 and the various spanish stations just fine.

35.1 and 8.1 should be at the same location - so I would think that if I can receive 35.1 in OTA HD I should be golden with 8.1 KSBW.

Any tricks I can try with the antenna?
My Set top box is a Hughes HDHTL DirectTV Box

Now that Football is on NBC I need my HDTV for NBC...

Montl, I feel your pain.

I live near Laguna Seca, and I have recently been trying to find an optimal position for my Channelmaster 4228. I'm getting a strong signal for KION 46-1 (9 mi away), and I can also get a reasonably strong signal for 35-1. But I'm having trouble with KSBW. I have found 1 location where I can receive KSBW with a reasonably strong signal, but then I lose 35-1. Weird since KSBW and 35-1 transmit from the same location.

I realize that KSBW is high band VHF, whereas the others are UHF. But I purchased the CM 4228 antenna specifically because it was a UHF antenna with high gain for high band VHF.

Interestingly, I can only receive KSBW when the antenna is positioned in a relatively low position (level with the eave line on the first story of the house). Raising the antenna in the same location improves the UHF reception but kills off KSBW.

I haven't given up and am trying more locations to see if I can receive everything from 1 antenna location....
post #87 of 680 Old 08-08-2006, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions - I am going to try moving the antenna again this weekend. I was talking with a RF expert and he told me that channels 8.1 and 35.1 being ~100mhz apart could be part of the problem - and he suggested that I move my antenna facing Fremont peak and then tilt or rotate it to try to pull back in 46.1 - we will see, I am a bit frustrated but that is part of the game. My adjustments so far have been very minor and usually less than a few degrees.
post #88 of 680 Old 08-09-2006, 08:41 AM

Does anybody know if Comcast in Mty passes the HD local stations in the clear?

I'm interested in knowing if it is possible to receive the HD locals using a clear QAM tuner - without using a Comcast STB.
post #89 of 680 Old 08-10-2006, 07:11 PM

Down in Soledad I use two antennas CM 4228 and VHF 10 Element Yagi Ch.7-13. I can get 8.1 at 99% 35.1 at 85% 46.1 at 74%

btw are you guys having a real bad picture break up on the Football game tonight on fox?
post #90 of 680 Old 08-14-2006, 02:06 PM

I am now getting everything I need - The solution was to point directly at Fremont Peak and then rotate the Wineguard antenna about 45 degrees which gave stronger signal.

Now I am pointing about 20deg different than before but still get 46.1 without trouble...

Thanks everyone for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page