Montgomery, AL - HDTV - Page 227 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #6781 of 6880 Old 09-26-2018, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 415
We need more information to give you good advice. Please read and follow the instructions in the sticky, in particular a link to your exact address TVFool report:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...-1st-post.html

Omnidirectional antennas receive poorly in all directions. You might not want a directional antenna, but the physical laws might require a directional antenna for good reception.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6782 of 6880 Old 09-26-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 26
strange on cloudie days reception is excellent on all 4 channels

not sure how accurate the TV fool is WAKA 8 isn't 42 theres a bunch of ABC but I don't see or overlooked 32

CW is actually 22 which is correct, didn't see NBC 12

thanks for the tip on omi directional antenna concidering cutting my 8 bay in half then aim cut half and aim180degrees opposite direction

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038ec4af6468a

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #6783 of 6880 Old 09-26-2018, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

please recommend decent combiner for 2 antennas I used a cable TV splitter to combine the 2 4bays on attic antenna.

maybe I can leave antenna 1 in attic then behind TV add antenna2 ($5. flat window).

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6784 of 6880 Old 09-26-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
We need more information to give you good advice. Please read and follow the instructions in the sticky, in particular a link to your exact address TVFool report:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...-1st-post.html

Omnidirectional antennas receive poorly in all directions. You might not want a directional antenna, but the physical laws might require a directional antenna for good reception.
thanks for nothing I started a new thread after 4 days of no response I start simiarl thread.

you erase, unerase new thread and erase here.so you wont confuse youreself

post #6785 of 6880 Old 09-26-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
not sure how accurate the TV fool is WAKA 8 isn't 42 theres a bunch of ABC but I don't see or overlooked 32.

I use TvFool on a regular basis, for some reason it has been omitting some stations in multiple markets.
WAKA is on 42, WNCF is 31, they are on the same tower. WBMM is 22 on the opposite side of the market. They all originate from the same master control on Harrison Rd.

https://rabbitears.info/search.php?r...pe=dBm&height=

One can't say definitely that one antenna or the other won't perform well in a particular installation.
I have a closet full of most of the ones available that we use for test. So I have actually used ones I recommend unlike some here on AVS that read it was a good one on the internet.

We have the ANTOP 414 in use at one location, getting solid reception on VHF & UHF stations from multiple markets with a total of 74 channels. Even being an omni, It outperforms all the others we tried in that location.

Having LTE filtering is critical now to optimum reception, and will become more so with the FCC repack.
I won't even install an antenna now without it.

https://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Ant..._p/cm-3201.htm

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 09-26-2018 at 09:08 AM.
post #6786 of 6880 Old 09-26-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks for nothing I started a new thread after 4 days of no response I start simiarl thread.

you erase, unerase new thread and erase here.so you wont confuse youreself
I'm not a moderator, Steve. I don't erase or move posts. I'm just another forum member that has been able to help with reception problems.

It is not in your best interest to be hostile to people that are trying to help you; it tends to stop the flow of helpful suggestions.

I understand your desire to start another thread when you didn't receive a response here. When you start a new thread, it might not be obvious that there is another thread. The original thread might contain necessary background information we need to help you.

It is possible that even though many members saw your post, they weren't able to give you a satisfactory answer. Your reception problem is difficult because of your location. You have stations in many directions, and you seem unwilling to make the adjustments needed to reach your goal.

Thank you for the signal report. It provides a lot of useful information to make an analysis of your problem. TVFool is using a defective database to generate reports, so there are many errors, but it is a good start.

The fix will not be easy, so you must be prepared to do some experiments. Please tell us the must-have channels; the more channels you want, the more complicated the problem.
Quote:
please recommend decent combiner for 2 antennas I used a cable TV splitter to combine the 2 4bays on attic antenna.
There really isn't that much difference in splitters used in reverse as a combiner, whether it is for two different antennas aimed in different directions or for two identical antennas aimed in two different directions as with your two 4-bay DIY antennas without reflectors.

Combining antennas with a splitter in reverse doesn't always work; you just have to try it. When the same signals from each antenna reach the combining point, they will interfere with each other if they are not in phase (arrive at the same instant). If you don't have all the channels after combining that you had when the antennas were separate, then that method of combining doesn't work for you.

Do you have trees at your location? Trees block TV signals
jbrantley130 likes this.

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 09-26-2018 at 10:58 AM.
post #6787 of 6880 Old 09-26-2018, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is from your report:

This report is from rabbitears.info. It is based on my estimate of your location, and should have a more accurate list of channels.

Quote:
Hello all , I’m located in Montgomery,AL. Which is inbetween TV stations so 12WSFA 20WCOV comes in nice usually.
however 8WAKA,32WNCF
Come in unreliable however We all know Bama plays on 8 so any tips is appreciated.

Since the digital transition I’ve been mainly using the homemade bowtie coat hanger/ currently it’s a 8 bay so I have a splitter combining the each side of antenna copy of the channel master minus the rear fenced screen antenna is mounted in attic.
I have tried the RCA YAGI nice antenna but it’s directional so I have to choose which
Channels do you want to record I say record because I usally watch recordings and can’t afford to adjust directional antenna for inbeteween programs stations.
WSFA NBC, real channel 12, virtual channel 12.1, Signal Margin 52 dB, 167 deg
WCOV Fox, real channel 20, virtual 20.1, Signal Margin 63 dB, 167 deg
WAKA CBS, real channel 42, virtual channel 8.1, Signal Margin 63 dB, 246 deg
WNCF ABC, real channel 31, virtual channel 32.1, Signal Margin 61 dB, 246 deg

It is the real channel number (also called physical channel or RF channel) that determines what antenna is needed.

VHF-Low, real channels 2-6
VHF-High, real channels 7-13
UHF, real channels 14-51

The virtual channel number (like 5.1 or 5-1) is a holdover from the analog TV days to maintain the identity of the station, and is what the TV displays. By convention, the virtual channel number is given in the decimal form to keep it from being confused with the real channel number.

WSFA is on real channel 12, which is a VHF-High channel. UHF bowtie antennas and flat antennas don't do very well on VHF-High channels unless they are very strong.

I suggest you try a 4-bay with reflector in each direction combined with a splitter in reverse. If that doesn't work, come back for another idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stevethebrainAVSreportTVF.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2460410   Click image for larger version

Name:	stevethebrainAVSreportRE.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	2460412  
jbrantley130 likes this.

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 09-26-2018 at 12:00 PM.
post #6788 of 6880 Old 09-26-2018, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
WAKA 8 is real channel 42 and wncf digital channel 32 is on tvfool... It's real channel 31.
Quote:
not sure how accurate the TV fool is WAKA 8 isn't 42 theres a bunch of ABC but I don't see or overlooked 32

CW is actually 22 which is correct, didn't see NBC 12

thanks for the tip on omi directional antenna concidering cutting my 8 bay in half then aim cut half and aim180degrees opposite direction

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited by jbrantley130; 09-26-2018 at 01:59 PM.
post #6789 of 6880 Old 09-27-2018, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
This is from your report:

This report is from rabbitears.info. It is based on my estimate of your location, and should have a more accurate list of channels.

WSFA NBC, real channel 12, virtual channel 12.1, Signal Margin 52 dB, 167 deg
WCOV Fox, real channel 20, virtual 20.1, Signal Margin 63 dB, 167 deg
WAKA CBS, real channel 42, virtual channel 8.1, Signal Margin 63 dB, 246 deg
WNCF ABC, real channel 31, virtual channel 32.1, Signal Margin 61 dB, 246 deg

It is the real channel number (also called physical channel or RF channel) that determines what antenna is needed.

VHF-Low, real channels 2-6
VHF-High, real channels 7-13
UHF, real channels 14-51

The virtual channel number (like 5.1 or 5-1) is a holdover from the analog TV days to maintain the identity of the station, and is what the TV displays. By convention, the virtual channel number is given in the decimal form to keep it from being confused with the real channel number.

WSFA is on real channel 12, which is a VHF-High channel. UHF bowtie antennas and flat antennas don't do very well on VHF-High channels unless they are very strong.

I suggest you try a 4-bay with reflector in each direction combined with a splitter in reverse. If that doesn't work, come back for another idea.
thanks for explanation

Asimuth is this the direction the antenna is to be aimed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrantley130 View Post
WAKA 8 is real channel 42 and wncf digital channel 32 is on tvfool... It's real channel 31.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
if I remember correctly about ten years ago if I wanted channel32 I'd had to switch ( different analog TV) to 31 and TV magically when to 32 that was a confussing time I think that was when channel 8 took over channel 32 I believe they both broadcast over near the Suberaro car dealership.

?1.when combining two antennas must they be they be exactly the same.
?2.like can I leave the attic antenna tuned to the majority of stations then connect behind TV the secondary antenna (the $5 flat) aimed at the problem channel 8WAKA?

Like I’m dreading the attic theres not much headroom and some a$$hole knocked (to long) roof shingles nails though the wood of roof.

I don’t think I need the most powerfull antenna (giant jumbo sized 50’ in the air type because I’m relatively close to TV stations.

Actually my old rabbit ears still work almost as good as the homemade 4bay which grew to 8, I prefer the attic antenna out of sight.

As far as reflecters I’ve tried a piece of cardboard covered w/ silver Reynolds wrap also tried a oven grill tray zero improvement actually degraded signal, so no reflector as of now.

edit: channels watched are 8,12,20,32 and think the antenna is aimed east will verify this.

Thanks Guy's for advice STB

Last edited by stevethebrain; 09-27-2018 at 04:39 AM.
post #6790 of 6880 Old 09-27-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think that was when channel 8 took over channel 32 I believe they both broadcast over near the Suberaro car dealership. STB

WAKA's,WNCF's and WBMM's studios are in the same building on Harrison Road.

Both WAKA and WNCF broadcast from the same tower in Gordonsville.

So you will need to make sure you are pointing in the right direction as provided in the charts.....

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #6791 of 6880 Old 09-27-2018, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks for explanation
Thank you for the additional details.
Quote:
Asimuth is this the direction the antenna is to be aimed?
Yes, the signal is coming from that azimuth. The true azimuth is relative to true north, as on a Google map. The magnetic north is what to use with a pocket compass. At your location, the difference between the two is only 4 degrees. Some smart phones have a compass, but are often not accurate.
Quote:
if I remember correctly about ten years ago if I wanted channel32 I'd had to switch ( different analog TV) to 31 and TV magically when to 32 that was a confussing time I think that was when channel 8 took over channel 32 I believe they both broadcast over near the Suberaro car dealership.
It is important not to confuse the real channel number with the virtual channel number. As I stated above, the real channel number is the channel used by the transmitter; the virtual channel number is what is displayed by the TV.
To avoid confusion, please use the decimal form if you are using the virtual channel number, and add the callsign for confirmation. In the case of WNCF ABC, the real RF channel number is 31, but the virtual displayed channel number is 32.1 (or 32-1).
Quote:
?1.when combining two antennas must they be they be exactly the same.
It depends upon the application. If you are combining two antennas for additional gain, they must be identical, aimed in the same direction, and have identical length feedlines to the combiner.
If they are not aimed in the same direction, they don't have to be identical, and the feedlines don't have to be the same length.
Quote:
?2.like can I leave the attic antenna tuned to the majority of stations then connect behind TV the secondary antenna (the $5 flat) aimed at the problem channel 8WAKA?
Try it and see what happens.
Quote:
Like I’m dreading the attic theres not much headroom and some a$$hole knocked (to long) roof shingles nails though the wood of roof.
Always try the easy way first, before the difficult way. Most roofers don't care if the nails are long enough to hurt you. The labor cost would double if they had to correct that.
Quote:
I don’t think I need the most powerfull antenna (giant jumbo sized 50’ in the air type because I’m relatively close to TV stations.
That is correct, but your signals will be weaker than indicated on your report because of the indoor location of your antenna and the trees in the signal paths.
Quote:
As far as reflecters I’ve tried a piece of cardboard covered w/ silver Reynolds wrap also tried a oven grill tray zero improvement actually degraded signal, so no reflector as of now.
A reflector should improve the signal IF the antenna is aimed at the transmitter. Without a reflector, the antenna has less gain and is bi-directional (front and back)
Quote:
edit: channels watched are 8,12,20,32 and think the antenna is aimed east will verify this.
East is not the correct direction for those channels.

There will be some channel changes because of UHF Repack by the FCC. When the channel changes you will need to rescan.

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...&callsign=wale

https://www.rabbitears.info/repackch...h=&lss=&status=

EDIT:

Most of the changes will be during Repack Phase 5, except for WSFA in Phase 10.

https://www.fcc.gov/about-fcc/fcc-in...ition-schedule

https://www.commlawcenter.com/2017/0...deadlines.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stevethebrainAVSmap.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	2461012  

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 09-28-2018 at 06:56 AM.
post #6792 of 6880 Old 09-28-2018, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 57
stevethebrain, my daughter lives about a mile east of the Coliseum. She had been using a small set-top antenna of some sort. I built a 4-bay bowtie antenna out of an old 2x4 board and 12-gauge electrical wiring (mostly for the heck of it). She connected it and is receiving every channel listed for her location which includes all of those that you are interested in. I would really think that WSFA would be more of a problem station than WAKA would be. In the past in talking with a few people in Montgomery it seems WSFA has been the problem child. WAKA usually hasn't seemed to be a problem. As has been mentioned/inferred earlier...to receive your desired channels you will need to do some experimenting and put some effort into it to get things sorted out...roofing nails and all.

Intheswamp, but on a hill...
www.BeeWeather.com
post #6793 of 6880 Old 10-01-2018, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Since the first of the year since we cut the cord with DISH I've been having intermittent problems with WNCF 31/32-1. It transmits off the same tower as WAKA 42/8-1. WNCF seems to suddenly lose transmitting power and become unwatchable whereas WAKA keeps chugging right along. Both channels tend to give a good 72 signal strength...when things are "right". I was watching a college game the other night when suddenly WNCF took a nosedive. Is WNCF still trying to iron kinks out of a new system or something...or, is it a case of trying to keep it together with haywire and bailing twine???

Anybody know what's going on with it?

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6794 of 6880 Old 10-01-2018, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
Since the first of the year since we cut the cord with DISH I've been having intermittent problems with WNCF 31/32-1. It transmits off the same tower as WAKA 42/8-1. WNCF seems to suddenly lose transmitting power and become unwatchable whereas WAKA keeps chugging right along. Both channels tend to give a good 72 signal strength...when things are "right". I was watching a college game the other night when suddenly WNCF took a nosedive. Is WNCF still trying to iron kinks out of a new system or something...or, is it a case of trying to keep it together with haywire and bailing twine???

Anybody know what's going on with it?

We'll look into it, Have not heard of any other issues.

As of today..on WBMM Heartland has been replaced by Start!Tv..The wifey's should enjoy this channel. Mine does.
jbrantley130 likes this.

Bob

post #6795 of 6880 Old 10-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think I gave enough info, Bob. I'm down in south central Crenshaw County. West of Luverne, about 37-38 miles southeast of the transmitter in Gordonville. I can watch WNCF for weeks at a time with a max single of 72 on my Tivo Roamio OTA, a good solid signal. Then suddenly it starts breaking up and soon down in the dirt with no usable signal. Most of the time the signal is fine, but when whatever happens happens...it's dead.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6796 of 6880 Old 10-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, and WBMM. At times I can receive it ok, but the distance and most likely the low-power keeps me from receiving it reliably.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6797 of 6880 Old 10-02-2018, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
I don't think I gave enough info, Bob. I'm down in south central Crenshaw County. West of Luverne, about 37-38 miles southeast of the transmitter in Gordonville. I can watch WNCF for weeks at a time with a max single of 72 on my Tivo Roamio OTA, a good solid signal. Then suddenly it starts breaking up and soon down in the dirt with no usable signal. Most of the time the signal is fine, but when whatever happens happens...it's dead.

Ah yes..
WAKA is top mounted omni directional at 1 megawatt ERP.

WNCF is side mounted with a cardioid type pattern at 720kw ERP.
WNCF is also short spaced with WSRE in Pensacola, when atmospherics are right we interfere with each other.

I also suggest LTE filtering, dependent upon the cellular carrier near you you can have interference dependent on cellular loading and if there is a cellular tower close in that may be de-sensitizing your receiver. I added one at home and was able to add a few more LPTV's that I could net previously get.
However, current filters are LFP700's, and after the repack is complete need to be changed to LPF600's.

And yes WBMM can be iffy at your location dependent on your antenna configuration. It's basically a flashlight...

We'll be starting repack work @ WAKA after the superbowl..and for a period of time be on a side mounted temporary antenna at significantly reduced power in order to change the transmitter and top mount antenna.
Due to tower work during daytime hours and RF exposure rules, both WAKA nd WNCF will be at reduced power for significant periods.

Bob

post #6798 of 6880 Old 10-02-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

update on unwatchable channel 8waka 32 seams a tad better on reception.

I forgot all about the Magnavox 555 DVR (that I've stopped using about a year ago due to it being extra low definition piss poor picture)

the 555 actually enhances the TV signal by a small, if I remember correctly 3DB gain, amount so I can now kindof watch channel 8 in extra low definition now I remember why I stopped using the low def. 555.

thanks alot waka for crumie service.why do the commercials come in clear and the show is unwatchable?hope you saved the .50 cents on turning power down.

edit: I should have mentioned that I use a PC windows7 for a DVR. using the best I could find tuners the Haugpage 1800 and the silicon dust homerun SD OTA ( the SD is a weak tuner the Hauagpage is a tad better.

edit 2:I am able to watch waka on my work station TV 27" samsung used as a monitor and now a TV it's picture is clear however I'm downgraded to a tiny TV.

will this repack after superbowl improve waka?
Thanks for advice STB

Last edited by stevethebrain; 10-02-2018 at 09:29 AM.
post #6799 of 6880 Old 10-02-2018, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
..thanks alot waka for crumie service..

You should read more and type less. There are multiple folks here trying to help you of which you seem oblivious to their advice.
jbrantley130 likes this.

Bob

post #6800 of 6880 Old 10-02-2018, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I forgot all about the Magnavox 555 DVR (that I've stopped using about a year ago due to it being extra low definition piss poor picture)

the 555 actually enhances the TV signal by a small, if I remember correctly 3DB gain, amount so I can now kindof watch channel 8 in extra low definition now I remember why I stopped using the low def. 555.

thanks alot waka for crumie service.why do the commercials come in clear and the show is unwatchable?hope you saved the .50 cents on turning power down.

edit: I should have mentioned that I use a PC windows7 for a DVR. using the best I could find tuners the Haugpage 1800 and the silicon dust homerun SD OTA ( the SD is a weak tuner the Hauagpage is a tad better.

edit 2:I am able to watch waka on my work station TV 27" samsung used as a monitor and now a TV it's picture is clear however I'm downgraded to a tiny TV.

will this repack after superbowl improve waka?
Thanks for advice STB
stb, I live 38 miles from the WAKA/8 transmitter...I get some breakups all along with it, but normally get a *very* good quality HD picture on 8-1. The problem I'm having with WNCF/32 is a sporadic event...I would think if it is the transmitter then others would be experience the sudden loss of signal. Something tells me there is an offending signal between my location and the WNCF transmitter that pops up all along...that is, if no one else is having this sporadic issue. All other times I get a *very* good quality HD signal from WNCF/32.

I'm currently using a Tivo Roamio OTA for the receiver on the main television (50" Panny plasma pro panel). I also have a small LG in the kitchen that has a receiver built in. In the past I've had the OTA receiver included in my DISH receiver and also a Samsung HD STB. All of these have provided a high quality HD image/signal from WAKA/WNCF and from the other "local" network providers.

I would suggest that you pick up a small flat panel tv *with* built-in tuner at Wallyworld and connect it to your antenna to see what you can receive on it...and what the quality of the image is. You can always return it if you don't want to keep it. You are apparently attempting to use a computer for the source going to your panels. But, you don't say how you're connecting these. Rule out basically everything but your antenna by trying a regular television and see what happens. There could be so many variables in your setup that we are not aware of that makes it impossible for us to help. Start with the basic flat panel television and antenna.

As for the WAKA commercials coming in clear and the programs not, I've never experienced that.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6801 of 6880 Old 10-03-2018, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Ah yes..
WAKA is top mounted omni directional at 1 megawatt ERP.

WNCF is side mounted with a cardioid type pattern at 720kw ERP.
WNCF is also short spaced with WSRE in Pensacola, when atmospherics are right we interfere with each other.

I also suggest LTE filtering, dependent upon the cellular carrier near you you can have interference dependent on cellular loading and if there is a cellular tower close in that may be de-sensitizing your receiver. I added one at home and was able to add a few more LPTV's that I could net previously get.
However, current filters are LFP700's, and after the repack is complete need to be changed to LPF600's.

And yes WBMM can be iffy at your location dependent on your antenna configuration. It's basically a flashlight...

We'll be starting repack work @ WAKA after the superbowl..and for a period of time be on a side mounted temporary antenna at significantly reduced power in order to change the transmitter and top mount antenna.
Due to tower work during daytime hours and RF exposure rules, both WAKA nd WNCF will be at reduced power for significant periods.
Bob, it looks like I'm sitting in a spot receiving roughly 337kW (sitting at about 145-degrees from the xmitter). Currently WNCF is hitting me with a 50-60 signal strength on the Tivo. WAKA is hitting me with a maxed out signal of 72 (with the Tivo the AGC kicks in and 72 is max). WNCF was breaking up a bit with fluctuations in signal strength (I think it was dipping down below 50 and back up quickly). Being on the right and somewhat back side of the southeastern lobe does make it kind of tricky for me to receive a strong signal. Mind shinnying up the tower this afternoon and turn the antenna a bit more to the east for me??? Tell WSRE to turn their power down, I know you can talk them into it! I'm going to tinker with my antenna a bit more and see if I can improve things, otherwise I'll need to find a ABC provider, maybe on Hulu or somewhere...I'd rather have WNCF via antenna, though.

I'm using an Antennas Direct Juice preamp. It has LTE filtering built in, but I'm not sure if it covers all that it needs to or not. The specs at AD do not show any specific information about it. I wonder if the filtering will even work after the repack. I do have an ATT tower about 3-4 miles from me but it's antenna's lobe is away from me (nobody likes me! ). We have ATT cell service and here at the house we are fortunate if we get 1-2 bars.<sigh>

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6802 of 6880 Old 10-03-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I use one of these at home in low gain 17db mode:

https://www.channelmaster.com/Amplif.../cm-7777hd.htm

My antenna feeds the amp then goes to an 8 way splitter, which results in a slight gain just enough to make up for the cable runs to the tv's. In general I have solid reception on most channels here except during windy times(note that I am in Charlotte..but can royally screw up WAKA,WNCF, AND WBMM with my iPad from my back deck..)

ATSC 1.0 doesn't handle dynamic multipath from wet trees and wind very well..so even with a good antenna installation one may still have issues at some locations that are treed in. We see this at the WAKA business office, but generally with clear line of sight locations both are fine.

Bob

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 10-03-2018 at 08:50 AM.
post #6803 of 6880 Old 01-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 52
So has anyone heard any rumblings about when Spectrum will complete its upgrade for the Wetumpka/Elmore area? I was told after the merger that we would be upgraded to match the Montgomery system.

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800 and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #6804 of 6880 Old 07-24-2019, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Seems WAKA 8, (42 repacking to 25) has begun the antenna work. They have a notice up on their webpage stating they're running with reduced power but that "After September 6, your signal should be stronger than ever." It is definitely impacting reception for us, being as we're 35-40 miles distant from the transmitter. But, it's kind of off-season at the moment so not a lot that we want to watch. The couple of shows that we usually Tivo are breaking up bad but we're backed up on watching now so jumping over to the Roku we can stream pretty much what we want. FWIW

As long as the signal is restored by time college football starts...

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6805 of 6880 Old 08-20-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WAKA is now on our handy dandy bright and shiny AUX antenna at reduced power and coverage as of today. We'll be replacing the top mount antenna in time for Sept 6th
return to full power on our new channel.
Tom Servo likes this.

Bob

post #6806 of 6880 Old 08-22-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WAKA’s top mount antenna has been replaced as of this morning.

Bob

post #6807 of 6880 Old 09-06-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1694 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Did the local stations make their moves as scheduled?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #6808 of 6880 Old 09-06-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WAKA and WBMM did.
Trip in VA likes this.

Bob

post #6809 of 6880 Old 09-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

WAKA seems to be coming in nicely down here....looks like my TIVO is peaking out at 72 (it's max signal strength). That was with the antenna askew...hopefully I won't be getting overloading or I might have to turn the antenna to the side again.<grin> Nicely done, WAKA!!!

Don't know what to say about WBMM...it has not been reliable down my way but just checked and it seems I'm getting a stable 52 on the Tivo meter. That's not a great signal so under worse weather conditions it may have troubles. I would say it's a stronger signal down here.

WCOV/20Fox...seems to be down and out. Anybody know anything about it? Simply dead signal. Are they having trouble? Went to lower power? Did Woods close shop and go home to attend to politics? I'm not getting a whiff of a signal from them. Tried it both on the Tivo and a direction antenna connection on the small kitchen (sensitive tuner) LG television. It looks like there's no important college football on FOX today so I'm not overly concerned at this point...

Ed

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6810 of 6880 Old 09-07-2019, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Hmm, just looked back where I had recorded some signal strengths when I was putting together my (Frankenstein) antenna setup. It seems the 52 signal report for WBMM isn't the best that I've had. In November of 2017 I was hitting at around 65 on the meter (remember, max reading of 72 on Tivo). But, there were dropouts back then and at times no signal times. Too sporadic to keep in the channel line-up. So, the 52 might not be better or, if it's more stable it might be better. I'll keep a check on it and see how it does.

www.BeeWeather.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page