Montgomery, AL - HDTV - Page 229 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #6841 of 6874 Old 11-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Reflector... Whatever works is what you go with. If the reflector degraded reception, then dump it. As for covering the metal vent with plastic...forget it, RF easily pass through plastic.

Aim the antenna in the direction that you get the best reception from...if it's due south point it due south, if it's southwest then point it southwest, etc.,. In the attic you will most likely be working with multi-path interference/signals so it would surprise me if you got the best performance from a transmitter by being exactly aimed at that particular transmitter. Your best signal *could* actually be coming from the north, or northwest, or west, or whatever. I would definitely start in a direction that you *think* is the best and work from there. Your antenna is receiving the best signals from the front and back of it, being as it has no reflector and is thus bi-directional. A proper reflector would block out interfering signals coming from the rear *and* enhance the received signal from the front by reflecting a small bit of signal back to the driven elements. Depending on how well it's built to technical specifications your antenna is most likely a somewhat narrow-beamed antenna...8-bays have a more narrow angle of reception than 4-bays do....4-bays have a more narrow angle than 2-bays do. The more "powerful" the antenna the narrower the angle of reception. You need something with a wide angle to cover the WSFA/WCOV and WAKA/WNCF towers.

As for as the major networks I'm pretty sure that WSFA(NBC) will be the only channel for which you will need VHF capabilities. You don't have anything to lose by trying the dipole, you've already got it on hand. Remember, though, that a splitter will insert losses into your system...amplifying the signal may help make up for the losses...but try it first without the amp. Give it a shot...pull the elements out to around 1' and 3" long...maybe adjust this a little and see if it makes a difference.

The CS 2MAX is a good antenna. Good specs, wide-beam (60-degrees), well constructed, good reviews by many people (including me). Whether it will give you more channels I can not tell you...there is no way for me to know. But, I do believe it will perform well for you and, in your case, with the built-in VHF dipole may improve things for you. Be sure to get the newer version without the reflector. You could buy a basic 2-bay bowtie that has tight specs for less money, but you'd still have to do something for VHF/WSFA.

Did you ever try a smaller bowtie antenna before you built your 8-bay? The more bays a bowtie antenna the more focused it is on a smaller area (narrow beam)...the fewer the bowties the larger area it can receive from (wide beam).

Intheswamp, but on a hill...
www.BeeWeather.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 6874 Old 11-18-2019, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
Reflector... Whatever works is what you go with. If the reflector degraded reception, then dump it.I have the oven tray on hand for future tuning if needed As for covering the metal vent with plastic...forget it, RF easily pass through plastic. I could cover vent w/ plywood.

Aim the antenna in the direction that you get the best reception from...if it's due south point it due south, if it's southwest then point it southwest, etc.,. In the attic you will most likely be working with multi-path interference/signals so it would surprise me if you got the best performance from a transmitter by being exactly aimed at that particular transmitter. Your best signal *could* actually be coming from the north, or northwest, or west, or whatever. I would definitely start in a direction that you *think* is the best and work from there. Your antenna is receiving the best signals from the front and back of it, being as it has no reflector and is thus bi-directional. A proper reflector would block out interfering signals coming from the rear *and* enhance the received signal from the front by reflecting a small bit of signal back to the driven elements. Depending on how well it's built to technical specifications your antenna is most likely a somewhat narrow-beamed antenna...8-bays have a more narrow angle of reception than 4-bays do....4-bays have a more narrow angle than 2-bays do. The more "powerful" the antenna the narrower the angle of reception. You need something with a wide angle to cover the WSFA/WCOV and WAKA/WNCF towers.
will hang verticaly and report back
As for as the major networks I'm pretty sure that WSFA(NBC) will be the only channel for which you will need VHF capabilities. You don't have anything to lose by trying the dipole, you've already got it on hand. Remember, though, that a splitter will insert losses into your system...amplifying the signal may help make up for the losses...but try it first without the amp. Give it a shot...pull the elements out to around 1' and 3" long...maybe adjust this a little and see if it makes a difference.

The CS 2MAX is a good antenna. Good specs, wide-beam (60-degrees), well constructed, good reviews by many people (including me). Whether it will give you more channels I can not tell you...there is no way for me to know. But, I do believe it will perform well for you and, in your case, with the built-in VHF dipole may improve things for you. Be sure to get the newer version without the reflector. You could buy a basic 2-bay bowtie that has tight specs for less money, but you'd still have to do something for VHF/WSFA.

Did you ever try a smaller bowtie antenna before you built your 8-bay? yes the initial
antenna was 4 V elements used inside close to 2010 new yearused mostly indoor then relcated to attic
l The more bays a bowtie antenna the more focused it is on a smaller area (narrow beam)...the fewer the bowties the larger area it can receive from (wide beam).
So I be aiming due south w/ slight west.

now I'm understanding why the mircrowave recievers at phone office equipment rooms are aimed differnt directions.

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #6843 of 6874 Old 11-18-2019, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Plywood *might* help a TINY bit regarding the vents. It is really not worth spending time on. RF will transmit through non-metallic objects fairly easily unless the objects are *really* thick. You're receiving RF signals through the roof, right? It's probably as thick or thicker than the plywood would be. I wouldn't waste time on that.

The 8-bay performed better for WCOV and WAKA than the 4-bay did...at that time? I'm not sure what you men by "4 V elements".

I don't recall where you're located, other than in Montgomery. But, if you're on the east side I'd say you have it right with aiming a little west of due south. If you're on the west side I'd say aim a little east of due south. The main thing is to aim it so that you get the best signals. Multi-path reception is caused by bouncing, scattering, reflecting signals off of different objects...off of buildings, hills, nearby metal objects (vents and other things in the attic), trucks, etc., resulting in signals coming in from a direction that is not in the direction of the transmitting antenna. Multi-path can actually work to your advantage if the LOS (line-of-sight) is actually blocked by something between you and the transmitter...the signal takes a "detour" of sorts. Multi-path is often encountered in attic locations. Thus, the direction that by the compass is the correct one to aim your antenna may not be the best...the signal may be coming from some other direction. That is why you need to try different directions *and* also different locations in the attic. Moving the antenna's location in the attic only a few feet can sometimes make big differences. The movement can be to the left or right, front or back, or up and down. I call moving the antenna around like this "fishing for a signal"...it can make a difference!

www.BeeWeather.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6844 of 6874 Old 11-18-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Also, as for the difference between the Clearstream 2-bay and 4-bay antennas here is a small circle marked in degrees. You can see how much of a difference the beam patterns make in receiving stations positioned in different directions. Those extra 15 degrees make a difference...25% more coverage!!!

direction-degrees_a

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6845 of 6874 Old 11-25-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 25
8 still scrambles picture it’s watchable but annoying

I just noticed that I have two antennas side by side each has a transformer.

Two more plans before clearstream 2.
1.splite the 2 4bays aim 1st south aim 2nd southwest both mounted vertically
2.remove one of the transformers and jumper to to slave ant. Either kept together as one or splite.in theory each connection there is los of signal so one less transformer should strengthen signal.

w/ inswamps advice/encouragement I have made improvements and am optimistic about full signal strength on all channels.

Hopefully I can find a deal on another haupage tuner still thinking a good ant. Signal can be ruined w/ a crummie tuner..

STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #6846 of 6874 Old 11-27-2019, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Good to hear your making headway. I'm still without WCOV/20 down this way, I'm beginning to adjust to being without them and have actually started using the 4-bay antenna that I dedicated to WCOV/20 for enhancing WAKA8/WNCF32's signal. I'm thinking I may just leave at this as the college football season is nearing its end and the serial shows that I watch on WCOV I can watch later by streaming them. WCOV probably is going to lose a ton of viewers due to their absence for so long and the viewers' realization that they can live without them. I wonder if Woods preoccupation with his mayoral chase hurt his family business...???

Anyhow, I was wondering if you could share your general location in Montgomery, maybe within a quarter of a mile or so. It might help me kind of understand your reception issues. If you'd rather not, no problem.

Let us know how turning the two sides of the 8-bay in different directions works.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6847 of 6874 Old 11-28-2019, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Getting back into the antenna game now that we’ve cut the cord. Used to have great success with a Channel Master 4228 from our house in Redland. Now going to try this: pingbingding Outdoor Digital HD TV Antenna with High Gain Amplifier 150 Mile Long Range for UHF/VHF, Mounting Pole, 40FT RG6 Coaxial Cable, Easy Installation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGYGGSF..._N0d4DbPR79552. Also, adding it to a Clearstream TV to put the signal on the net and watch from an app rather than running cable. Hopefully everything works as planned. Will post results. Are there still any stations running low power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800 and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #6848 of 6874 Old 11-28-2019, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

WCOV/FOX/20 is at low power transmitting through a coat-hanger. You should actually be in pretty good shape for receiving it...being as the xmitter is currently in Montgomery. It's a useless process to try and receive it down in west-central Crenshaw County. I'm not sure how you will fare when it moves back to the tower in Ramer...it will go back to full power but will be a good distance from you. If you receive WSFA/NBC/12 good then you will be probably be ok with WCOV when it moves back down there.

The 4228 is/was a very good antenna...for UHF *and* a little high-channel VHF reception.

Bowties are good, but most are designed for UHF reception. WSFA/12 will be dropping to mid-range VHF channel 8 which may make reception a bit more difficult. I see the antenna that you linked to has a VHF dipole, hopefully it will be sufficient...it is a pretty good distance down to Ramer, though.

WAKA/CBS/8 and WNCF/ABC/32 should be easy for you provided the buildings and city's electrical infrastructure between you and the tower don't give you interference. WAKA has gone through the repack and has their new transmitter up and running. WNCF made no changes. But, I seem to be having more trouble receiving those two stations from down here in Crenshaw County. Makes me think their power isn't as strong now *or* they shifted their transmitting lobes more away from my direction. I'm just not getting the consistent good signal that I was before the repack.

Let us know how your setup works out, but don't count on really getting consistent reception from 150 miles.
Best wishes,
Ed

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6849 of 6874 Old 11-28-2019, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, and congratulations on cutting the cord!!! Are you completely cutting the cord or will you be supplementing your OTA with streaming video?

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6850 of 6874 Old 11-28-2019, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh, and congratulations on cutting the cord!!! Are you completely cutting the cord or will you be supplementing your OTA with streaming video?

Thank you! We’re using YouTube TV as our cable provider. I wonder if I should go with a 4228 again. I realize I won’t get the 150 mile range but the one I ordered got really good reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800 and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #6851 of 6874 Old 11-29-2019, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post
Thank you! We’re using YouTube TV as our cable provider. I wonder if I should go with a 4228 again. I realize I won’t get the 150 mile range but the one I ordered got really good reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
You would still need help with WSFA later on when they drop in frequency. I don't think the newer 4228 is as good as the old version in receiving VHF stations. The bowties that incorporate a VHF dipole in them are good options. Or, you can add an Antennas Direct VHF-Kit to an existing antenna (they come with a built-in combiner)... https://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Dire...5029110&sr=8-4

The Antenna Direct Clearstream line of antennas are good. I put a CS2Max (2-bay bowtie w/vhf-dipole) up at my daughter's house close to Opp and it has worked well. They also make a 4-bay. The more bays you have the more gain *and* the more directional the antenna becomes. Unless you're going to use a rotor you will need something with a wide reception pattern. The 4-bay antenna would have been stronger at my daughter's house but the stations were spread out and she needed a broad-beamed antenna, thus I went with the 2-bay. I still ended up adding a small Eagle-brand wire bowtie for a station that was at a really bad angle to the rest of the stations.

Antenna Direct apparently is building two different 8-bay antennas...one at $130, another at $75...not sure what the difference other than the higher priced one will let you turn half the antenna in a different direction from the other half. I have that one, but have never used that ability. The $75 one is all wire, looks durable, but I have no experience with it...I'm wondering if it is NOS merchandise. Also, the new 4228 looks like is hitting the $150 range.

Depending on your coax length and number of splitters you use you may or may not need an pre-amp. Runs less than 100' usually do not require a pre-amp. Multiple splitters or using splitters with a lot of ports can definitely decrease your signal strength. Try it first without a pre-amp and go from there. I'm using the Juice pre-amp...it works well, is low-noise, and has some filtering to it for cellphone signals, radio stations, etc.,.

Well, if you've already ordered the antenna give it a try, it might be just what you need. I would mount it on a short pole and walk it around the edge of the house. Move it from location to location and raise and lower it a bit. I call this "fishing" for a signal. A matter of a few feet can make a big difference!!! That is where a long piece of coax comes in handy. Naturally, if you only have a single spot to mount it you'll have to settle for that. Best wishes. Ed

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6852 of 6874 Old 11-29-2019, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Remember, though, that a long piece of coax can be detrimental to the signal...decreasing it's strength. Actually, the shorter the cable the better off you are. Thus, in "fishing" a long cable *can* hinder you. A better setup would be a short coax with a small, portable tv attached so you could move both tv and coax around the house. First thing I'd do with your new antenna would be hook it up inside the house and move it around a little bit to see what you might be working with. If you're picking up WAKA "ok" inside the house then I'd think you're looking pretty good...might have to move the antenna beside a window...open window preferred due to possible thermal film insulation. Walls may have foil-backed insulation.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6853 of 6874 Old 11-30-2019, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You would still need help with WSFA later on when they drop in frequency. I don't think the newer 4228 is as good as the old version in receiving VHF stations. The bowties that incorporate a VHF dipole in them are good options. Or, you can add an Antennas Direct VHF-Kit to an existing antenna (they come with a built-in combiner)... https://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Dire...5029110&sr=8-4

The Antenna Direct Clearstream line of antennas are good. I put a CS2Max (2-bay bowtie w/vhf-dipole) up at my daughter's house close to Opp and it has worked well. They also make a 4-bay. The more bays you have the more gain *and* the more directional the antenna becomes. Unless you're going to use a rotor you will need something with a wide reception pattern. The 4-bay antenna would have been stronger at my daughter's house but the stations were spread out and she needed a broad-beamed antenna, thus I went with the 2-bay. I still ended up adding a small Eagle-brand wire bowtie for a station that was at a really bad angle to the rest of the stations.

Antenna Direct apparently is building two different 8-bay antennas...one at $130, another at $75...not sure what the difference other than the higher priced one will let you turn half the antenna in a different direction from the other half. I have that one, but have never used that ability. The $75 one is all wire, looks durable, but I have no experience with it...I'm wondering if it is NOS merchandise. Also, the new 4228 looks like is hitting the $150 range.

Depending on your coax length and number of splitters you use you may or may not need an pre-amp. Runs less than 100' usually do not require a pre-amp. Multiple splitters or using splitters with a lot of ports can definitely decrease your signal strength. Try it first without a pre-amp and go from there. I'm using the Juice pre-amp...it works well, is low-noise, and has some filtering to it for cellphone signals, radio stations, etc.,.

Well, if you've already ordered the antenna give it a try, it might be just what you need. I would mount it on a short pole and walk it around the edge of the house. Move it from location to location and raise and lower it a bit. I call this "fishing" for a signal. A matter of a few feet can make a big difference!!! That is where a long piece of coax comes in handy. Naturally, if you only have a single spot to mount it you'll have to settle for that. Best wishes. Ed

So I did a little testing tonight with an old Terk antenna that I had while waiting on my bigger antenna to get here. I placed it in the attic and I connected it to the Clearstream wireless tuner. This thing picks up everything!. The tuner scans through an app on your phone or AppleTV or Roku and you watch the channels that way. This thing is amazing. I should be able to get better signal strength and maybe pull in even more channels once I get the big antenna in. Sometimes the tuner makes all the difference. I use my little portable TV in the attic and didn’t get a quarter of the amount of channels.

post #6854 of 6874 Old 11-30-2019, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I did a little testing tonight with an old Terk antenna that I had while waiting on my bigger antenna to get here. I placed it in the attic and I connected it to the Clearstream wireless tuner. This thing picks up everything!. The tuner scans through an app on your phone or AppleTV or Roku and you watch the channels that way. This thing is amazing. I should be able to get better signal strength and maybe pull in even more channels once I get the big antenna in. Sometimes the tuner makes all the difference. I use my little portable TV in the attic and didn’t get a quarter of the amount of channels.

Sounds like you'll be "ok" with reception if the Terk is doing good. Have you noticed the CS wireless tuner getting hot? It seems there are a lot of reviews stating it gets pretty hot...be particular where you put it, don't set it on anything that is easily flammable. Sounds like you're in a good location. Good deal!

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6855 of 6874 Old 11-30-2019, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Montgomery, AL - HDTV

Quote:
Sounds like you'll be "ok" with reception if the Terk is doing good. Have you noticed the CS wireless tuner getting hot? It seems there are a lot of reviews stating it gets pretty hot...be particular where you put it, don't set it on anything that is easily flammable. Sounds like you're in a good location. Good deal!

Yes, it gets hot like the reviews say. I’m keeping in the living room near the router with the vent holes facing up. I already had a line running from attic to near TV so didn’t have to leave in attic.

post #6856 of 6874 Old 12-01-2019, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, it gets hot like the reviews say. I’m keeping in the living room near the router with the vent holes facing up. I already had a line running from attic to near TV so didn’t have to leave in attic.

Update: Stayed up late last night messing with it and decided to set up a Plex server and use the Plex DVR. Wow, this really does the trick as far as user interface. The only channels I’m not getting right now with the little antenna are the Daystar HD channel that’s low power in Wetumpka and Comet TV channel 48 and the independent channel 49. The larger antenna I ordered should fix that. I was able to get Daystar in the past with the CM4228.

post #6857 of 6874 Old 12-01-2019, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

It sounds like you will be good-to-go once the new antenna is installed. The only caveat I can see is the amplifier included with the antenna. I think I'd set it up first without the amp and see how it does. If not satisfactory then insert the amp. Amps can help/hurt reception due to several factors...you really won't know until you try.
jtrippe likes this.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6858 of 6874 Old 12-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It sounds like you will be good-to-go once the new antenna is installed. The only caveat I can see is the amplifier included with the antenna. I think I'd set it up first without the amp and see how it does. If not satisfactory then insert the amp. Amps can help/hurt reception due to several factors...you really won't know until you try.
Got the new antenna in this evening and got it setup. Hardly any channels came in without the amp. The performance with the amp is almost identical to the little Terk. Very disappointing. I did pick up 29.1 though that i didn't pick up before. Was hoping to pull in 39.1 and 48.1. I may go back to a 4228 that a buddy isn't using any more. Those last two channels may not be doable in my location though. I remember them being very difficult before.

post #6859 of 6874 Old 12-02-2019, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Montgomery, AL - HDTV

Found a Cyber Monday deal and exchanging the antenna for one from antennas direct. Antennas Direct Clearstream 4Max TV Antenna, 70+ Mile Range, UHF/Vhf, Multi-Directional, Indoor, Attic, Outdoor, Mast W/Pivoting Base/Hardware/Adjustable Clamp/Sealing Pads, 4K Ready, Black - C4MVJ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DYDSNK..._s5o5DbV81RGDS

Hoping for better results. Bought a Winegard pre amp too

post #6860 of 6874 Old 12-02-2019, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Also, as for the difference between the Clearstream 2-bay and 4-bay antennas here is a small circle marked in degrees. You can see how much of a difference the beam patterns make in receiving stations positioned in different directions. Those extra 15 degrees make a difference...25% more coverage!!!

direction-degrees_a
So based on what you posted here should i go with the 2 bay or 4 bay clearstream? I'm in 36093 in the Redland area. The 4 bay has a longer ranger but the 2 bay has the wider beam.

post #6861 of 6874 Old 12-02-2019, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Found a Cyber Monday deal and exchanging the antenna for one from antennas direct. Antennas Direct Clearstream 4Max TV Antenna, 70+ Mile Range, UHF/Vhf, Multi-Directional, Indoor, Attic, Outdoor, Mast W/Pivoting Base/Hardware/Adjustable Clamp/Sealing Pads, 4K Ready, Black - C4MVJ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DYDSNK..._s5o5DbV81RGDS

Hoping for better results. Bought a Winegard pre amp too
Have you done a plot showing where the different transmitters are located in regards to your house? The 4Max has a reception pattern of 45-degrees which should be for both the front side and back side. Some signal should come off the edges, too, but not nearly as strong. If you're close to the transmitters then a weak signal from the edge would be good. The AD stuff is quality equipment. I run an AD Juice preamp (and a DB8e, a VHF-Kit, and a CS 2Max), the preamp has good filtration (cellphone, etc) and is a low-noise amp. It's also good at handling overload situations where a signal is *too* strong and causes a sort of interference to the receiver due to too much power. Too much power can be as bad as too little power.

I put in a generic zipcode for Redland and these are the results I got from rabbitears regarding a plot of your surrounding stations..... https://www.rabbitears.info/search.p...pe=dBm&height=

You might can use the plot map and the stated 45-degree reception pattern of the 4Max to see how well the transmitters will fall into the best cone of reception. WETU-LD/39 should be doable as it will probably be in the predominant area of interest for you. WIYC/48 is going to be off the edge of the antenna so it will indeed be difficult. But, you never know what multi-path might do for you.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6862 of 6874 Old 12-02-2019, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

I just noticed that WAKA/8 isn't on the plot map...use the plot for channel 32/WNCF...they're on the same tower.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6863 of 6874 Old 12-02-2019, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Have you done a plot showing where the different transmitters are located in regards to your house? The 4Max has a reception pattern of 45-degrees which should be for both the front side and back side. Some signal should come off the edges, too, but not nearly as strong. If you're close to the transmitters then a weak signal from the edge would be good. The AD stuff is quality equipment. I run an AD Juice preamp (and a DB8e, a VHF-Kit, and a CS 2Max), the preamp has good filtration (cellphone, etc) and is a low-noise amp. It's also good at handling overload situations where a signal is *too* strong and causes a sort of interference to the receiver due to too much power. Too much power can be as bad as too little power.

I put in a generic zipcode for Redland and these are the results I got from rabbitears regarding a plot of your surrounding stations..... https://www.rabbitears.info/search.p...pe=dBm&height=

You might can use the plot map and the stated 45-degree reception pattern of the 4Max to see how well the transmitters will fall into the best cone of reception. WETU-LD/39 should be doable as it will probably be in the predominant area of interest for you. WIYC/48 is going to be off the edge of the antenna so it will indeed be difficult. But, you never know what multi-path might do for you.
Here is a link to my exact plot. https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=32173 It's kind of confusing to me. Based on this do i go with the 2MAX or 4MAX?

The 4 is the same price as the 2 ($99.99) for Cyber Monday at Best Buy. It's a great deal but i don't want to get the wrong antenna for my situation.

Last edited by jtrippe; 12-02-2019 at 07:54 AM.
post #6864 of 6874 Old 12-02-2019, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here is a link to my exact plot. https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=32173 It's kind of confusing to me. Based on this do i go with the 2MAX or 4MAX?

The 4 is the same price as the 2 ($99.99) for Cyber Monday at Best Buy. It's a great deal but i don't want to get the wrong antenna for my situation.
So I called Antennas Direct and they helped me sort this out. It didn't hurt that they gave me 35% off either. I ordered the Clearstream 2MAX plus reflector shield and the juice pre amp. I'll give up on trying to get 29-1 and focus more on 48-1. I would need the dB8e to get all the way around from 29-1 to 48-1. That antenna cost more and takes up a lot of room.

post #6865 of 6874 Old 12-02-2019, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I called Antennas Direct and they helped me sort this out. It didn't hurt that they gave me 35% off either. I ordered the Clearstream 2MAX plus reflector shield and the juice pre amp. I'll give up on trying to get 29-1 and focus more on 48-1. I would need the dB8e to get all the way around from 29-1 to 48-1. That antenna cost more and takes up a lot of room.
That sounds like a good deal on getting the 35% off. Now, as long as the CS2 has enough gain to make it down to Gordonville and Ramer you will be good. I think you made a good call on getting the Juice preamp with the distance that you are from the stations, the low-noise specs will help.

Don't rule out putting another antenna up...I've got an DB8e 8-bay, Antennacraft 4-bay, and an AD dipole (VHF-kit) in the air behind my house...feeding into the Juice. I'm about 10 miles closer to both WAKA and WSFA towers and still have some issues. But, most ground is uphill from where I'm at so I have lots of forestland and hills to deal with...blocked to the north by pine trees doesn't help me either. I was fortunate on buying my DB8e...bought it in the parking lot of the Shakespeare Festival...found it listed on CraigsList.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6866 of 6874 Old 12-02-2019, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Btw, get the CS2 in the air when you receive it and test it well with the Juice. If it doesn't work well then get an RMA from AD, return it, and go with the CS4. They are good antennas, just be aware of there limits and real world capabilities. You may have to have two stronger antennas pointed in different directions, but, it wouldn't surprise me if the CS2 works well for you. Do remember that WSFA is moving to channel 8 which will make it harder to receive with a simple dipole cut for VHF. The beam angle of the CS2 is nice.
jtrippe likes this.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6867 of 6874 Old 12-04-2019, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Btw, get the CS2 in the air when you receive it and test it well with the Juice. If it doesn't work well then get an RMA from AD, return it, and go with the CS4. They are good antennas, just be aware of there limits and real world capabilities. You may have to have two stronger antennas pointed in different directions, but, it wouldn't surprise me if the CS2 works well for you. Do remember that WSFA is moving to channel 8 which will make it harder to receive with a simple dipole cut for VHF. The beam angle of the CS2 is nice.
Got the CS2, reflector and juice all installed. I get the same exact results as the cheapo antenna. I don't think going to the CS4 would help. Why can't I get 48-1? I get 22-1 just fine and it's in the same area. Is something wrong with the OTA signal? I'm not aiming toward Selma so no 29-1.

I get 7-1 a PBS station for some reason. I also get 8, 12, 17, 20, 22, 26, 32, 33, 45.

Update: I'm pretty sure it's not the antenna. I was able to get some stations in Columbus but no 48-1 in any direction.

Last edited by jtrippe; 12-04-2019 at 07:48 PM.
post #6868 of 6874 Old 12-04-2019, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

It looks like WIYC/48 will be moving to digital channel #19 in 2020 due to the repack. I think they may be at low-power at the moment, but in January (the 17th, I think) they should be moved to 19 (re-scan your tv) and hopefully at the higher power. Woods Broadcasting is dragging their feet getting WCOV back at full power but hopefully the same thing won't happen for WIYC. Be patient.

If you have good reception on all the channels that you have listed then you will be fine. Of course, WCOV has still got to move back to Ramer and get back to full power...at the moment the transmitter is in Montgomery, almost in your front yard, so it's reception may change some.

Depending on what you want to do, one of those antennas need to go back to the vendor...or either keep them both to tinker with.
jtrippe likes this.

www.BeeWeather.com
post #6869 of 6874 Old 12-04-2019, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It looks like WIYC/48 will be moving to digital channel #19 in 2020 due to the repack. I think they may be at low-power at the moment, but in January (the 17th, I think) they should be moved to 19 (re-scan your tv) and hopefully at the higher power. Woods Broadcasting is dragging their feet getting WCOV back at full power but hopefully the same thing won't happen for WIYC. Be patient.

If you have good reception on all the channels that you have listed then you will be fine. Of course, WCOV has still got to move back to Ramer and get back to full power...at the moment the transmitter is in Montgomery, almost in your front yard, so it's reception may change some.

Depending on what you want to do, one of those antennas need to go back to the vendor...or either keep them both to tinker with.

Thank you! That explains 48-1. I’m keeping the CS 2 and returning the no name brand. All other channels come in great.

post #6870 of 6874 Old 12-05-2019, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Ran another scan about 5:00 this morning just to see what I could get. Surprisingly, I picked up a bunch of Columbus stations. The CS 2 definitely does the job. I've got the antenna facing directly towards the middle of the Montgomery stations. Hopefully WIYC will come in upon the repack. The two other channels I cannot get right now are WBIH (29) and WETU-LD(39). I understand why I'm not getting WBIH based on the direction I'm aiming and the beam width of the antenna. Has anyone been able to pick up WETU though? I remember picking it up maybe one or twice when I had a CM 4228 about five years ago. It was a rarity though. FCCdata.org has me in the service contour. I know it's low power but is it even on the air any more? Using an antenna with the Clearstream TV and Plex is a great combo. I can access my antenna channels from anywhere. My folks and my sister are cutting the cord and going the same route as me. They each live in Pike Road so I'll post those results once I get them set up.

Last edited by jtrippe; 12-05-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page