post #5911 of 6083 Old 06-21-2019, 01:38 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
IN2tvClassics:
From your descriptions, you have many things making good OTA TV reception difficult. Your apartment building is shielded in metal except for windows and you have no windows to the west, where most of the stations you're trying to receive are. You're aiming your antenna east, so you're relying on reflections from hills or buildings to the east rather than a direct feed. The only major station you're likely to get directly is WNYT's repeater on RF 18 NE of you (judging from TV Fool's default location for Troy).

You rarely get WRGB on ch. 6 but that's because your antenna isn't designed to receive it. Lower frequencies require longer antenna elements. Few antennas are designed for low VHF these days, and nearly all are for outdoor use because of their size. Short of making your own, the best indoor antenna for low VHF is good old fashioned rabbit ears.

WNYA is lower power than most other stations on the Helderbergs antenna farm. I'm about 10 miles east of the farm, get excellent reception of the other stations there, and only fair reception of WNYA. That's using a homemade antenna cut for ch. 6, which serves well enough for the high VHF channels. I use a 4-bay bowtie for UHF.

I don't get a usable signal from WYPX and only my best tuners even sense that there's anything on that channel (50). That will change when they move to the antenna farm on ch. 19.

As for WFNY, forget it. Even people who live much closer to that transmitter have trouble receiving it.

There's only one sure-fire way for you to improve your OTA TV reception: Move.

The attachment shows my reception of channels 7, 12 and 13. Ideally, all should be flat-topped. The jaggedness could have several causes but the most likely is multipath distortion. This was made with a $20 DVB-T USB dongle used as a Software Defined Radio with RTLSDR Scanner software.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VHF High 7-13.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	2582844  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5912 of 6083 Old 06-21-2019, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
IN2tvClassics:There's only one sure-fire way for you to improve your OTA TV reception: Move.
Well, he could wait for TV stations with ATSC 3.0 to begin broadcasting. Albany is one of the first 40 markets in the USA that is scheduled to do testing next year. IN2tvClassics, hope you keep those rabbit ears you said you used for channel 6. There may be a time you can use them again.
post #5913 of 6083 Old 06-21-2019, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
IN2tvClassics:
From your descriptions, you have many things making good OTA TV reception difficult. Your apartment building is shielded in metal except for windows and you have no windows to the west, where most of the stations you're trying to receive are. You're aiming your antenna east, so you're relying on reflections from hills or buildings to the east rather than a direct feed. The only major station you're likely to get directly is WNYT's repeater on RF 18 NE of you (judging from TV Fool's default location for Troy).
My apartment only has southern facing windows that I can use. So I can position my antenna SW, S, SE, etc. This is what both FCC website & TVFool show.

From my location (*) the stations are located as follows.

WRGB, WCWN, WTEN, WMHT, WNYT, WXXA, WNYA (SWW)
WNYT (NE)- RF18
WYPX (NW)
WYBN (SW)

Quote:
You rarely get WRGB on ch. 6 but that's because your antenna isn't designed to receive it. Lower frequencies require longer antenna elements. Few antennas are designed for low VHF these days, and nearly all are for outdoor use because of their size. Short of making your own, the best indoor antenna for low VHF is good old fashioned rabbit ears.

WNYA is lower power than most other stations on the Helderbergs antenna farm. I'm about 10 miles east of the farm, get excellent reception of the other stations there, and only fair reception of WNYA. That's using a homemade antenna cut for ch. 6, which serves well enough for the high VHF channels. I use a 4-bay bowtie for UHF.
I pretty much given up on CH 6. The di-pole antenna (see pic) I tried did help a bit. But stopped after new neighbors. As for rabbit ears, I do have my first antenna (see pic) still. I got it when I first decided to try OTA. It worked fairly well, but wasn't quite strong enough for my location. That's why I got the 2V.

WNYA is one of my favorites: My4, LightTV, Decades, Heroes&Icons

I seen a VHF-Hi antenna over here: http://dennysantennaservice.com/ez_hd_tv_Antenna.html

Would that fix my issue?

Quote:
I don't get a usable signal from WYPX and only my best tuners even sense that there's anything on that channel (50). That will change when they move to the antenna farm on ch. 19.

As for WFNY, forget it. Even people who live much closer to that transmitter have trouble receiving it.

There's only one sure-fire way for you to improve your OTA TV reception: Move.
Well my WYPX signal is decent 70% of the time, good enough for me. It's a shame about WFNY, but I'll live. lol

If I could move I would. I can see it now a place away from all interference. 2-4 powerful antennas surrounding my property pointing to the nearest transmitters. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in CT View Post
Well, he could wait for TV stations with ATSC 3.0 to begin broadcasting. Albany is one of the first 40 markets in the USA that is scheduled to do testing next year. IN2tvClassics, hope you keep those rabbit ears you said you used for channel 6. There may be a time you can use them again.
I have two other antennas. (see pic) The 2V was a replacement for the rabbit ears. I got the folded di-pole was suggested to use for getting CH 6. But as of late (month+), it's been a lame duck. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OTHER ANTs.png
Views:	11
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	2582992  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5914 of 6083 Old 06-22-2019, 11:44 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
I seen a VHF-Hi antenna over here: http://dennysantennaservice.com/ez_hd_tv_Antenna.html

Would that fix my issue?
I don't know. Maybe. I haven't used that antenna. Some reports say it's identical to the less-expensive RCA ANT751R and slightly better than the earlier ANT751. The difference is that the later version doesn't try for the old analog channels 52-69 that digital doesn't use, so it has higher gain on the lower UHF channels. Unfortunately some ads for the RCA don't distinguish between the two and some don't even give the model number. Of course, in about a month all the local channels will be 36 or below. It'll be another year before WNYA and WXXA change channels, but they'll still be high VHF.

Here are a couple of forum threads comparing the EZ HD, ANT751 and ANT751R:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...a-antenna.html
https://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2693
One of the posters, holl_ands, is an expert on OTA reception. His posts are often highly technical but I'd trust anything he has to say about antennas. Not that I understand it all. You might want to follow the links at the bottom of his post.

Just for a laugh, check out this Home Depot ad for an RCA ANT751. I've seen lots of misleading and downright false claims for antennas but their "Film Mode option" tops them all.
post #5915 of 6083 Old 06-23-2019, 08:53 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
IN2tvClassics:

That's not entirely true. They're a heck of a lot stronger than they used to be. From 30 miles away, I get a weak signal from them, but it's steady. And you know what? It's not THAT much weaker than WNYA!! -- which is 10 miles away!

WFNY has had calls from Albany and points east. Maybe some are on higher ground... but who knows.
post #5916 of 6083 Old 06-26-2019, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked: 4338
Quote:
First, sorry I've been MIA for a few days. Had company in over the weekend and spent yesterday playing catch-up with my day job(s).

I don't think anyone can definitively answer that without hauling a spectrum analyzer into your living room. This is why I say, "Start cheap and keep receipts." You can TRY that, but make sure there's a good return policy.

Given your issue, the more aluminum you can throw at VHF-Hi, the greater the odds of success. I'll let Holl_ands delve into the specifics if he desires, but in a nutshell, the longer the yagi, the more directional it becomes. The more directional, the better at rejecting interference coming from above, behind and to the sides. This also increases the gain from the direction the thing is pointed. The single VHF dipole on your 2V is like the antenna on your car. Pretty much designed to receive whatever it can from nearly any direction roughly perpendicular to it. And, as we've noted, that includes reflections and other interference.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5917 of 6083 Old 06-26-2019, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
First, sorry I've been MIA for a few days. Had company in over the weekend and spent yesterday playing catch-up with my day job(s).

I don't think anyone can definitively answer that without hauling a spectrum analyzer into your living room. This is why I say, "Start cheap and keep receipts." You can TRY that, but make sure there's a good return policy.

Given your issue, the more aluminum you can throw at VHF-Hi, the greater the odds of success. I'll let Holl_ands delve into the specifics if he desires, but in a nutshell, the longer the yagi, the more directional it becomes. The more directional, the better at rejecting interference coming from above, behind and to the sides. This also increases the gain from the direction the thing is pointed. The single VHF dipole on your 2V is like the antenna on your car. Pretty much designed to receive whatever it can from nearly any direction roughly perpendicular to it. And, as we've noted, that includes reflections and other interference.
NP, we all have lives.

Could a simple old fashioned solution fix my problem? Would adding some aluminum foil to my VHF dipole help its signal?
If so, how should I add it? Wrap the whole dipole, just the ends, just one or both, etc?

If it matters all my channels each show a Bandwidth 6 MHz.

WRGB Frequency 85 MHz Quality 40-45% then drops to 0%
WTEN Frequency 545 MHz Quality 85%
WNYT Frequency 207 MHz Quality 60%
WNYT Frequency 497 MHz Quality 60%
WYBN Frequency 473 MHz Quality 70%
WMHT Frequency 593 MHz Quality 80%
WXXA Frequency 177 MHz Quality 42% then drops to 0%
WCWN Frequency 647 MHz Quality 73%
WNYA Frequency 213 MHz Quality 45%
WPIX Frequency 659 MHz Quality 48%

Last edited by IN2tvClassics; 06-27-2019 at 04:09 AM.
post #5918 of 6083 Old 06-27-2019, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

You need directionality, not more surface area. Since you can't go up or outside, the only way to do that is with a better VHF antenna. Pointed west.

I did not originally research WRGB, which is on channel 6 (VHF-Lo). Even one of the combos we've listed might not help with that station. They'll probably do better than the 2V, but don't be surprised if they don't.

Believe it or not, when I lived in Joplin, I had an insanely large VHF Hi-Lo antenna hanging from the guest bedroom ceiling so I could pull in Kansas City stations. Point being, you're probably going to have to decide between aesthetics and TV.

You need to stop trying to "fix" the 2V and get busy trying other antennas. Sooner you do, the sooner you'll get the problem solved.

If you ARE resigned to working with the 2V, get a long piece of RG6 so you can move it all over the place, hopefully finding a sweet spot, though anywhere you put it is still going to be prone to issues on the VHF band.

post #5919 of 6083 Old 06-27-2019, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
If you ARE resigned to working with the 2V, get a long piece of RG6 so you can move it all over the place, hopefully finding a sweet spot, though anywhere you put it is still going to be prone to issues on the VHF band.
IN2TVClassics said in an earlier post that he lives in an apartment building made of concrete or cinder block. Thus, he has little choice but to keep his antenna pointed out his window to get any VHF signal. The fact that he receives WNYT (RF 12) passably well, but the other VHF stations remain weak, tell me that he needs a better VHF antenna (like you said, DrDon).
post #5920 of 6083 Old 06-28-2019, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You need directionality, not more surface area. Since you can't go up or outside, the only way to do that is with a better VHF antenna. Pointed west.

I did not originally research WRGB, which is on channel 6 (VHF-Lo). Even one of the combos we've listed might not help with that station. They'll probably do better than the 2V, but don't be surprised if they don't.

You need to stop trying to "fix" the 2V and get busy trying other antennas. Sooner you do, the sooner you'll get the problem solved.

The 2V was working good for a long time without much/any issues. I'd hate to replace if another "fix" could work with it.

If I need to improve VHF-Hi, what would do that? Could I just remove the 2V dipole and connect this? How about combining the 2V to CS5?
https://store.antennasdirect.com/C5-...V-antenna.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in CT View Post
IN2TVClassics said in an earlier post that he lives in an apartment building made of concrete or cinder block. Thus, he has little choice but to keep his antenna pointed out his window to get any VHF signal. The fact that he receives WNYT (RF 12) passably well, but the other VHF stations remain weak, tell me that he needs a better VHF antenna (like you said, DrDon).
Moving my antenna all over my apartment won't work.

My apartment building is built on an angle. Which is a pita to position. To be sure I checked out google maps, mapquest, bing, yahoo maps.
I'm located on the south side of my apartment building. The windows I can use are South facing windows, slightly angled west.

My antenna(s) can be positioned SE, SSE, S, SSW, SW If I'm reading the the tvfool correctly my location should be good for
WRGB*
WMHT
WNYT
WXXA
WYBN
WCWN
WYPX
WNYA**

* I know this is unlikely. ** Comes in fine without interference. I was watching WNYA last night without issues. My upstairs neighbors weren't home.
post #5921 of 6083 Old 06-29-2019, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The 2V was working good for a long time without much/any issues. I'd hate to replace if another "fix" could work with it.
It won't. You need directionality and gain.

Quote:
If I need to improve VHF-Hi, what would do that? Could I just remove the 2V dipole and connect this? How about combining the 2V to CS5?
https://store.antennasdirect.com/C5-...V-antenna.html
Again, no directionality and no gain. It'll exhibit the same issue you have now. We've given you some solutions. You need a VHF yagi. It isn't going to look pretty. Might put it on a tripod you can stick in the closet when company's over. Best to start trying those.

Quote:
If I'm reading the the tvfool correctly...
Did you ever post a link to your TVFool report? If not, please do.

post #5922 of 6083 Old 06-29-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question ION is moving from rf 50 to rf 19. I know that WCWN is supposed to move from rf19 - 20. Does anyone know when they are both supposed to happen? ION won'r move first will they?
post #5923 of 6083 Old 06-29-2019, 08:55 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
Question ION is moving from rf 50 to rf 19. I know that WCWN is supposed to move from rf19 - 20. Does anyone know when they are both supposed to happen? ION won'r move first will they?
WYPX (ION) is scheduled to move in Phase 4, 6/22/2019-8/2/2019. So it could happen any time now.

Same phase for WTEN (26 → 24), WMHT (34 → 25) and WCWN (43 → 22).

WXXA (7 → 8) and WNYA (13 → 7) will play musical chairs in Phase 10, 5/2/2020-7/3/2020.

I don't know when the repeaters are moving (does anyone?) but presumably before a major station moves to their current channel unless they're far enough away not to be affected.
post #5924 of 6083 Old 06-29-2019, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It won't. You need directionality and gain.

Again, no directionality and no gain. It'll exhibit the same issue you have now. We've given you some solutions. You need a VHF yagi. It isn't going to look pretty. Might put it on a tripod you can stick in the closet when company's over. Best to start trying those.

Did you ever post a link to your TVFool report? If not, please do.
I posted it some time ago, but here it is again.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903858830c2124

That big yagi isn't an option. But what about this one? http://dennysantennaservice.com/ez_hd_tv_Antenna.html
Could I mount that to the 2V replacing the original dipoles? Or use them separate and join there signals?
post #5925 of 6083 Old 06-30-2019, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
WYPX (ION) is scheduled to move in Phase 4, 6/22/2019-8/2/2019. So it could happen any time now.

Same phase for WTEN (26 → 24), WMHT (34 → 25) and WCWN (43 → 22).

WXXA (7 → 8) and WNYA (13 → 7) will play musical chairs in Phase 10, 5/2/2020-7/3/2020.

I don't know when the repeaters are moving (does anyone?) but presumably before a major station moves to their current channel unless they're far enough away not to be affected.
Signal strength for WCWN(rf19) in Jiminy is really strong here, so if it does not move before 50- I will lose both channels for a while. Because I am far enough East and south, I can pick up 34 and 50 on the same arc but at the two end points, so my antenna has to be pointed very precisely. I assume they are moving to the antenna farm in the Heldebergs.

Last edited by wkomorow; 06-30-2019 at 06:21 PM.
post #5926 of 6083 Old 06-30-2019, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That big yagi isn't an option. But what about this one? http://dennysantennaservice.com/ez_hd_tv_Antenna.html
Could I mount that to the 2V replacing the original dipoles? Or use them separate and join there signals?
No. The antenna you linked would replace your 2V. Get it and try it, but make sure they have a good return policy in case it doesn't work.

post #5927 of 6083 Old 06-30-2019, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I put an antenna up on a friend's house one mile N of me in Glens Falls and I can't believe it, they get WYBN! So, the signal is up here, just not at my house. For some reason, where I am is in a shadow and gets WPTZ and WCAX (50% of the time) from the Burlington 95 miles NNE (with directional antenna pointed that way).

I wonder if I can get the antenna up higher if I could get WYBN. Hmmm. And with repack hopefully happening sooner, I'll get WYPX on RF19 which I can't get now, and maybe WFFF from Burlington.

Unrelated, anyone from WNYA/WNYT read this who can fix the PSIP on WNYA? It stopped working a couple days ago.

(Also, TiVo still isn't receiving WNYA correctly. Not that they care, been working with them since H&I moved but they have no clue what they're doing. 51-1 and 51-2 blank, 51-1 shows on 51-3, 51-2 shows on 51-4, and their tuner picks up 51-3 on 13-5 and 51-4 on 13-6!)

Last edited by djbrian; 06-30-2019 at 09:01 PM.
post #5928 of 6083 Old 06-30-2019, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No. The antenna you linked would replace your 2V. Get it and try it, but make sure they have a good return policy in case it doesn't work.
Ok, I may consider it. The return policy sounds good for that other antenna. I'll check more into when I can.
post #5929 of 6083 Old 06-30-2019, 10:49 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrian View Post
I put an antenna up on a friend's house one mile N of me in Glens Falls and I can't believe it, they get WYBN! So, the signal is up here, just not at my house. For some reason, where I am is in a shadow and gets WPTZ and WCAX (50% of the time) from the Burlington 95 miles NNE (with directional antenna pointed that way).

I wonder if I can get the antenna up higher if I could get WYBN. Hmmm. And with repack hopefully happening sooner, I'll get WYPX on RF19 which I can't get now, and maybe WFFF from Burlington.
Can you post links to the TV Fool radar plots for your location and your friend's? The default location for Glens Falls showed the Helderberg antennas as being LOS with the default receive antenna height of 10'. Then I moved the pointer south about a mile, which put it close to the Hudson River. That made the path to the transmitters 2Edge. Raising the height to 30' made them 1Edge, so maybe a higher antenna would help. WYBN's antenna is lower than most of the others and lower power. TV Fool still shows it at its old location just south of Windham so ignore that if it shows up in the radar plot.

Quote:
Unrelated, anyone from WNYA/WNYT read this who can fix the PSIP on WNYA? It stopped working a couple days ago.
I checked them with TSReader Lite and you're right.. Their guide information is completely missing.

Quote:
(Also, TiVo still isn't receiving WNYA correctly. Not that they care, been working with them since H&I moved but they have no clue what they're doing. 51-1 and 51-2 blank, 51-1 shows on 51-3, 51-2 shows on 51-4, and their tuner picks up 51-3 on 13-5 and 51-4 on 13-6!)
Yes, it's screwed up but I kind of see where they got the numbers from. 51-1 virtual=13-3 real, 51-2=13-4, 51-3=13-5, 51-4=13-6. So for the first two they paired the virtual channel with the real subchannel, and for the last two they just used the real channel and subchannel.
post #5930 of 6083 Old 06-30-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Can you post links to the TV Fool radar plots for your location and your friend's? The default location for Glens Falls showed the Helderberg antennas as being LOS with the default receive antenna height of 10'. Then I moved the pointer south about a mile, which put it close to the Hudson River. That made the path to the transmitters 2Edge. Raising the height to 30' made them 1Edge, so maybe a higher antenna would help. WYBN's antenna is lower than most of the others and lower power. TV Fool still shows it at its old location just south of Windham so ignore that if it shows up in the radar plot.

I checked them with TSReader Lite and you're right.. Their guide information is completely missing.

Yes, it's screwed up but I kind of see where they got the numbers from. 51-1 virtual=13-3 real, 51-2=13-4, 51-3=13-5, 51-4=13-6. So for the first two they paired the virtual channel with the real subchannel, and for the last two they just used the real channel and subchannel.
My house http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038526e598bba antenna at 25ft

My friends house http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903851240f5c94 antenna at 30ft

Last edited by djbrian; 07-01-2019 at 11:55 AM.
post #5931 of 6083 Old 07-01-2019, 05:01 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrian

Aaaaand . . . they're back. Maybe their CE follows this thread but more likely they already knew they had a problem and were working on fixing it.
post #5932 of 6083 Old 07-02-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Aaaaand . . . they're back. Maybe their CE follows this thread but more likely they already knew they had a problem and were working on fixing it.
Glad to hear. Unfortunately that won't help TiVo with WNYA not receiving, but they did add StartTV to WCAX after I sent my list of issues (that being one of them), but fixed nothing else on the list. I'll try again! (With TiVo, their channel lists have to have the exact RF and mapped #s else the TiVo won't display the channel --- other issues I reported: WNYA not showing even though the channels are there - a mapping issue, WNCE needs to now be rf31 and mapped 31.1 so I can't see that either - mapping issue. WFNY also needs to be updated to RF16. I don't get it but figure someone out there may need it! ).

Also, finally got a response from EscapeTV regarding the aspect ratio of Escape, Laff, and Bounce in Albany thanks to NexStar's not-giving-a-hoot. Of course, finally getting a response that says we're working on it doesn't fix it. Hopeful, but little.
post #5933 of 6083 Old 07-02-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Also, finally got a response from EscapeTV regarding the aspect ratio of Escape, Laff, and Bounce in Albany thanks to NexStar's not-giving-a-hoot.

This might make you ... but WFNY carries "Escape" as well...and THEY actually have it in the correct ratio!
post #5934 of 6083 Old 07-02-2019, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Did anyone catch the mention of the RF switch on WTEN tonight around 6PM. I only heard the tail end of it, saying to continue watching yadda, yadda.

Is there a confirmed switch day for WTEN OTA RF CH #?? When is it?
post #5935 of 6083 Old 07-03-2019, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Did anyone catch the mention of the RF switch on WTEN tonight around 6PM. I only heard the tail end of it, saying to continue watching yadda, yadda.

Is there a confirmed switch day for WTEN OTA RF CH #?? When is it?
August 2nd is the planned date. They may be at reduced power for a few weeks following the date.

post #5936 of 6083 Old 07-03-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYota1 View Post
This might make you ... but WFNY carries "Escape" as well...and THEY actually have it in the correct ratio!
Maybe getting somewhere, finally, with this!... After a year of emailing I tried again and got a response from the engineer at WTEN!!

"I will have to look at our encoder settings but Katz has not requested us to change anything. Justice network did go to 16:9 about a year or so ago and told us to change our settings. We are the middle men for those guys so we do what they ask us. There may be down-conversion settings in the receivers that I can change. They are actually on HD transponders as of about 2 months ago."

So we shall see!
post #5937 of 6083 Old 07-03-2019, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
August 2nd is the planned date. They may be at reduced power for a few weeks following the date.
Thx,

That's the same date I was given in a email reply from CH10.

Quote:
Jessica Silver
Programming and Traffic Director
WXXA-TV

After August 2 rescan your tv!

Thanks for watching!!!
post #5938 of 6083 Old 07-06-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYota1 View Post
By correct, you mean properly center cropped at 4:3 instead of center cropped and stretched to 16:9. ;-)

Escape, Bounce, and Laff are all in 16:9. And, pretty sure Antenna TV, too. I've seen Bounce and Laff in other markets and can confirm this. Watching Escape, it's obvious they're sending shows in widescreen. Text is cut off all the time.

I was able to see WFNY today for the first time at my parents' house and it's funny that the only channel being sent out in it's proper form is CourtTV. And, kudos to them for dynamic bandwidth on the channels.

I still wish (as I'm sure they do too) that WYBN would get that going. Aside from Buzzr, Cozi, and This, the other channels are unwatchable. And, 75% of the tuners I have tried with them won't play it fluidly either. It's jumpy like one frame every 1 - 2 seconds.

I greatly appreciate the little guys attempt, so not saying anything bad about them. I know decent equipment and PSIP are probably expensive, too.
post #5939 of 6083 Old 07-07-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Escape, Bounce, and Laff are all in 16:9. And, pretty sure Antenna TV, too. I've seen Bounce and Laff in other markets and can confirm this. Watching Escape, it's obvious they're sending shows in widescreen. Text is cut off all the time.

I was able to see WFNY today for the first time at my parents' house and it's funny that the only channel being sent out in it's proper form is CourtTV. And, kudos to them for dynamic bandwidth on the channels.

I still wish (as I'm sure they do too) that WYBN would get that going. Aside from Buzzr, Cozi, and This, the other channels are unwatchable..

Antenna TV does not have any cropping issues. It comes over as 4:3 and everything on screen is as it should be. It's no different on WFNY than when WNYT had it.

Some diginets like Cozi, switch back & forth from 16:9 to 4:3, depending on programming.

Yes, WYBN's bit rate on 14.4 & up is annoying. I like to watch Retro now and again, but it ruins the experience.

Last edited by DrDon; 07-07-2019 at 04:41 PM.
post #5940 of 6083 Old 07-07-2019, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Discussions of services that circumvent copyrights is prohibited on AVSForum

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page