post #6121 of 6144 Old 12-05-2019, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYota1 View Post
I haven't heard of anything, but most of the time these things happen quietly without much fanfare. Movies! is the one I'd kinda like to see. However unless something gets replaced (like TBD or Stadium... or a couple of the less-watched WYBN subs) I can't see our locals adding anything else.
Movies! would be a great addition, along with any of these.

Antenna TV ( placed on a closer digit)
Grit
The Action Channel
DrTV
Pursuit Channel
The Family Channel
Classic Arts Showcase ( a good compliment channel to PBS)

TBD needs to go, Stadium is passable. But I wouldn't miss it.

WYBN: needs to add EPG, work on RetroTV signal.

BUZZR
COZI TV
This TV
France24
Rev'n
Retro TV
LATV (Replaceable)
NewsNet (Replaceable)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 6144 Old 12-05-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
Movies! would be a great addition, along with any of these.

Antenna TV ( placed on a closer digit)
Grit
The Action Channel
DrTV
Pursuit Channel
The Family Channel
Classic Arts Showcase ( a good compliment channel to PBS)

TBD needs to go, Stadium is passable. But I wouldn't miss it.

WYBN: needs to add EPG, work on RetroTV signal.

BUZZR
COZI TV
This TV
France24
Rev'n
Retro TV
LATV (Replaceable)
NewsNet (Replaceable)
Both Antenna & GRIT are on ch. 16 now, which is part of the Albany DMA, so that won't change.

Didn't LATV replace The Action Channel on 14?. I think Action & Retro share certain programs The low bandwidth (or whatever it is) on those Luken stations makes them so hard to watch.

You might argue that some of the nets we have now have low appeal but some of those you mentioned probably have very low market clearance and might be more of a "niche" than the ones we already have.
post #6123 of 6144 Old 12-05-2019, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 99
TBD and Stadium are both owned by Sinclair, so they (along with Charge and Comet) aren't leaving WRGB or WCWN anytime soon. (They also have widespread carriage in major markets on stations Sinclair doesn't own)

Pursuit hasn't made any new deals for OTA carriage in years, their remaining 3 OTA affiliates are grandfathered or special case scenarios that don't apply to the Albany DMA. (i.e. 3rd party non-profit translator associations operating in unserved areas, so they carry some cable channels in addition to rebroadcasting local stations)

Classic Arts Showcase only has 3 full time OTA affiliates, the chances of seeing them OTA in Albany are slim to none unless a non-com channel wants to pick them up as overnight filler.

The currently silent W47CM Glens Falls is owned by Luken, maybe they'll pick up some of their subchannel nets like Family and Action when they return to air as W32FC-D. But because of how tight spaced it is with other LPTV stations, including co-channel WUCB-LD in Cobleskill and W44CT-D in Albany when it returns to air as W32FL-D, it's going to have a very small coverage area.

Do you even know what DRTV is? It's an infomercial network where they revenue share with the affiliates for carriage. If you care that much about having a channel like that, you can already get nearly the same set of infomercials on 55.4 Ion Shop.

On a side note for Western MA viewers, WRGB has been granted a construction permit to move their Potter Mountain repeater to RF 5 after it was displaced from RF 19 by WYPX.

Last edited by KyL416; 12-05-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6124 of 6144 Old 12-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Both Antenna & GRIT are on ch. 16 now, which is part of the Albany DMA, so that won't change.

Didn't LATV replace The Action Channel on 14?. I think Action & Retro share certain programs The low bandwidth (or whatever it is) on those Luken stations makes them so hard to watch.

You might argue that some of the nets we have now have low appeal but some of those you mentioned probably have very low market clearance and might be more of a "niche" than the ones we already have.
It would be great it CH 16 extended its signal. Antenna & Grit were good when they on in my area. The Luken stations need fixing to enjoy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyL416 View Post
TBD and Stadium are both owned by Sinclair, so they (along with Charge and Comet) aren't leaving WRGB or WCWN anytime soon. (They also have widespread carriage in major markets on stations Sinclair doesn't own)

Pursuit hasn't made any new deals for OTA carriage in years, their remaining 3 OTA affiliates are grandfathered or special case scenarios that don't apply to the Albany DMA. (i.e. 3rd party non-profit translator associations operating in unserved areas, so they carry some cable channels in addition to rebroadcasting local stations)

Classic Arts Showcase only has 3 full time OTA affiliates, the chances of seeing them OTA in Albany are slim to none unless a non-com channel wants to pick them up as overnight filler.

The currently silent W47CM Glens Falls is owned by Luken, maybe they'll pick up some of their subchannel nets like Family and Action when they return to air as W32FC-D. But because of how tight spaced it is with other LPTV stations, including co-channel WUCB-LD in Cobleskill and W44CT-D in Albany when it returns to air as W32FL-D, it's going to have a very small coverage area.

Do you even know what DRTV is? It's an infomercial network where they revenue share with the affiliates for carriage. If you care that much about having a channel like that, you can already get nearly the same set of infomercials on 55.4 Ion Shop.

On a side note for Western MA viewers, WRGB has been granted a construction permit to move their Potter Mountain repeater to RF 5 after it was displaced from RF 19 by WYPX.

TBD is just an OTA Youtube. Not much to see there. Stadium can be a time waster if you can't find anything else OTA.

Classic Arts Showcase can be seen online. But without a schedule it kinda makes it hard to watch.

I originally though the DRTV channel was a dedicated channel that aired shows similar to "The Doctors show" on ABC. After checking out their website more: http://drtvchannel.com/
I see the problem. But that's still better than TBD. lol
post #6125 of 6144 Old 12-06-2019, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Channel 16 can't extend their signal any further to the south. RFs 14-16 are protected in a radius around NYC for Land Mobile radio use for first responders. It's why WYBN-LD is moving from RF 14 to RF 26.

Sinclair owns WRGB and WCWN, so their subchannel nets are not leaving anytime soon. Sinclair doesn't really drop any of their subchannel nets unless they need the bandwidth to launch a major network affiliate, like in Johnstown-Altoona where WJAC dropped TBD in favor of The CW Plus this past September. Or in markets where Sinclair needed to get around the ownership caps by moving a major network affiliation to a subchannel of the station they're keeping. Stadium has a lot of live college sports, and as for TBD, you may not personally like it, but for whatever reason Sinclair seems to prioritize that over Charge when it comes to carriage deals on both their own stations and with 3rd party affiliates.

Classic Arts Showcase only airs back to back performance arts clips, there is no set schedule of programming or theme blocks. They literally market themselves to cable providers and non-commercial channels as filler. (i.e. something a cable system could air on one of their community/access channels when they are not in use, or something a non-commercial station can air overnight since they have no ads)

That DrTV's website hasn't been updated since April 2016. Chances are it no longer exists. RabbitEars only shows one remaining affiliate, a LP station in Tallahassee that has mostly been silent since February 2016 outside of temporary one day resumptions to keep the license alive.

Last edited by KyL416; 12-06-2019 at 02:49 AM.
post #6126 of 6144 Old 12-07-2019, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I wonder if W47CM will ever reappear? ... I know some of you said you didn't think WNGN would and it's back. Speaking of which, they shuffled around their network offerings. Daystar and Hillsong are gone. Everything was good before as far as picture quality and aspect, but not now!

38-1 is still Heartland and proper 16:9.
38-2 is now Smile from TBN, it's the 4:3 SD letterboxed feed stretched to 16:9
38-3 is now IBN, which from what I can gather is only in 4:3 480i, but on here it's stretched to 16:9
38-4 is what was on 38-2 before, the simulcast of 91.9 FM WNGN radio.
post #6127 of 6144 Old 12-21-2019, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyL416 View Post

Jiminy Peak has a huge solar farm and locals have been complaining because it is causing reception interference on rf 7. My roof panels are causing me signal loss on high VHF. Hope rf 5 wont have any issues.
post #6128 of 6144 Old 12-23-2019, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member

It looks like WRGB 6-1 is working on their signal again. It has been really flaky at time over the past few days. WYBN is also been off/on for a couple days. Hopefully it will be back on soon. I need my BuzzR tv.

I can watch the online stream, but it's not the same.
post #6129 of 6144 Old 12-31-2019, 08:39 PM

The weather up in Bleeker, NY, where the WFNY-TV tower is, is pretty rough sometimes. Today is day 2 that they've been off the air, due to the snow, heavy ice and freezing rain they experienced up there on Monday. I'm told it looks like a war-zone up on the mountain! I guess National Grid is working on the outages, so hopefully they'll be back before the weekend. Previous storms including heavy rain, have also taken them off for more than a day at a time.
post #6130 of 6144 Old 01-03-2020, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
As of January 1st, it appears WCAX added a Country Music-themed channel called Circle. I saw New York City has it now, too. WCAX is now running their HD feed, Movies!, Circle, StartTV, and Ion and they all look really clear considering how much sharing is going on!

Going to post on the Burlington forum and see if there is a set date/time for the switch-over for WFFF to RF16.

Also, wonder if there is any time-frame update for WYBN's changeover to RF26?
post #6131 of 6144 Old 01-04-2020, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is everything back to normal up on Mount Mansfield, considering the fire up there some time ago?
post #6132 of 6144 Old 01-18-2020, 10:09 AM

Has anyone noticed a signal decrease with 6.1, .2 & .3 over the past 2 days? The strength at my antenna is down from 80 to 60%. Seems odd. I wonder if their engineers are tinkering?
post #6133 of 6144 Old 01-19-2020, 02:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Has anyone noticed a signal decrease with 6.1, .2 & .3 over the past 2 days? The strength at my antenna is down from 80 to 60%. Seems odd. I wonder if their engineers are tinkering?
My actually has been a little better, compared to the last couple weeks. It could be their tinkering, or less interference caused by my neighbors. IDK, I just happened to spot it flipping channels. Hopefully it is the engineers working on the problem.
post #6134 of 6144 Old 01-19-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
My actually has been a little better, compared to the last couple weeks. It could be their tinkering, or less interference caused by my neighbors. IDK, I just happened to spot it flipping channels. Hopefully it is the engineers working on the problem.
I lost channel 6 completely tonight. Not sure what is going on. 16 is coming in - which is unusual.
post #6135 of 6144 Old 01-19-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Oh yes. I'd forgotten about the problems your neighbors can cause.
post #6136 of 6144 Old 01-19-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
I lost channel 6 completely tonight. Not sure what is going on. 16 is coming in - which is unusual.

Seems odd. Ch 6 is always very steady. It's a bit stronger tonight, but has been "bouncing" to the point where it freezes for a second, then goes back to 80%! It's the only station behaving like this.

16 is coming in for you??? Interesting. It's certainly no stronger here.
post #6137 of 6144 Old 01-20-2020, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Watched 6 the past few days here in Utica, signal is right up where it always is.
post #6138 of 6144 Old 01-21-2020, 01:29 PM

6 returned the next morning back to full strength. I guess it could be local interference, but it was at night, and I had never loss 6 before. 16 comes and goes. 14, WTEN, WCWN, WMHT, WNYT all are steady. Ion is a hit or miss, which is a shame. I do not understand completely why my recast refuses to add rf14 even when the signal is strong. My TV antenna is able to lock on and include it in the guide when I am able to receive it. I am not certain it is an amazon issue or a PSIP issue. Over the weekend 14.3 had a notice up - look out for new programming.
post #6139 of 6144 Old 01-21-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
6 returned the next morning back to full strength. I guess it could be local interference, but it was at night, and I had never loss 6 before. 16 comes and goes. 14, WTEN, WCWN, WMHT, WNYT all are steady. Ion is a hit or miss, which is a shame. I do not understand completely why my recast refuses to add rf14 even when the signal is strong. My TV antenna is able to lock on and include it in the guide when I am able to receive it. I am not certain it is an amazon issue or a PSIP issue. Over the weekend 14.3 had a notice up - look out for new programming.

Although it's never been an issue before, it almost seems as if my WRGB problem was based on antenna aim. I tweaked its position and it went back to around 80% (although maybe it's coincidence). I had also replaced a combiner lately and removed an extra splitter which was in use outside. But even after all this, I was noticing earlier this evening that WRGB STILL does the occasional drop --- to the level it was when I first noticed it.

You said "16 comes and goes" but then you referred to "RF14". Did you mean RF16? --- because it's them who has the new programming notice up on .3 --- evidently they've dropped Escape, which is good.

Excuse me if I'm not up to speed on some stuff --- but how does Amazon play a part in your setup? And I also confess I'm not sure what your "recast" refers to. One thing I know (which is annoying) is that WFNY does not have the equipment set up to display programming info. They show up in the guide as "no information". I was told months ago that it was forthcoming...but it never happened.
post #6140 of 6144 Old 01-22-2020, 04:56 AM

Sorry I keep confusing channels. The one that leads with buzzer is rock solid in the Berkshires (14?). My recast (amazon dvr /tuner/tv anywhere) has program info supplied my Amazon (or whomever they get it from). The display is great on firetv (which I use for streaming and for locals via recast.) Recast works with Amazon devices such as fire tv/ fire tablets/ etc. On the fire tablet, I can watch local antenna stations anywhere I have a network connection that can stream. The one with antenna tv (16?) as a lead comes and goes and I can not get my recast to recognize it even if the signal is strong, so I can only watch using my tv tuner.
post #6141 of 6144 Old 01-22-2020, 10:48 AM

Very interesting. I can't keep track of everything Amazon has a finger on!
And yes, it's 16 that has Antenna TV, and Buzzr and COZI are on 14.
post #6142 of 6144 Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorry I keep confusing channels. The one that leads with buzzer is rock solid in the Berkshires (14?). My recast (amazon dvr /tuner/tv anywhere) has program info supplied my Amazon (or whomever they get it from). The display is great on firetv (which I use for streaming and for locals via recast.) Recast works with Amazon devices such as fire tv/ fire tablets/ etc. On the fire tablet, I can watch local antenna stations anywhere I have a network connection that can stream. The one with antenna tv (16?) as a lead comes and goes and I can not get my recast to recognize it even if the signal is strong, so I can only watch using my tv tuner.

It's nice to see another forum user that has a FireTV Recast. Do you ever have any buffering issues with it? Mine locks up all the time. DVR playback and live TV. All on a 5Ghz network.
Originally I had the Recast connected directly to the router with a CAT 5e cable, now it's wireless, but doesn't seem to matter. Maybe too many things on my network? Maybe my router is too outdated, (an Apple Airport Extreme from, about 10 years ago). Since all the FireTV sticks don't buffer with any of the other apps (Philo, Netflix, etc) only the Recast, I assume the issue is the Recast itself or the connectivity.

Just curious to know if others have the same buffering as me. Aside from this issue, it's a wonderful whole house OTA DVR solution WITH mobile integration (which is also not reliable,
unfortunately).
post #6143 of 6144 Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevideo23 View Post
It's nice to see another forum user that has a FireTV Recast. Do you ever have any buffering issues with it? Mine locks up all the time. DVR playback and live TV. All on a 5Ghz network.
Originally I had the Recast connected directly to the router with a CAT 5e cable, now it's wireless, but doesn't seem to matter. Maybe too many things on my network? Maybe my router is too outdated, (an Apple Airport Extreme from, about 10 years ago). Since all the FireTV sticks don't buffer with any of the other apps (Philo, Netflix, etc) only the Recast, I assume the issue is the Recast itself or the connectivity.

Just curious to know if others have the same buffering as me. Aside from this issue, it's a wonderful whole house OTA DVR solution WITH mobile integration (which is also not reliable,
unfortunately).

Interesting, I have not had stuttering issue. My buffering issues are confined to when I first tune to the channel. After I did a factory reset on the cube, it was able to grab the channel much quicker. I have started to segment my network with multiple routers to reduce the amount of traffic on each one. My Recast is wired, my cube and toshiba fire TV are not. I really like the integration with Philo and Pluto in the live tab. I used to have YTTV with Philo and Pluto, but decided to give up Philo because I was not watching it all that much. Can not wait until YTTV is integrated into the live tab. I do like the extended channel guide for recording.

What I do not like is that I can not remove and add specific channels, I have to do a complete rescan. In my area, I can only get rf 12 at night, but rf 28 (also channel 13) all the time (rf 19 ION is flaky but I would like

I have not had much issue with remote access, but honestly, I use it rarely - only a couple of times on my fire tablet in a hotel room while traveling.

I have had a weird issue lately though, I seem to have lost voice control over my Recast with the latest cube update.

Question for you - can your Recast lock on to 16 and add it to the guide?

I am thinking of upgrading to the new recast with 4 tuners and 1 TB storage. Have you heard anything about them?
post #6144 of 6144 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Interesting, I have not had stuttering issue. My buffering issues are confined to when I first tune to the channel. After I did a factory reset on the cube, it was able to grab the channel much quicker. I have started to segment my network with multiple routers to reduce the amount of traffic on each one. My Recast is wired, my cube and toshiba fire TV are not. I really like the integration with Philo and Pluto in the live tab. I used to have YTTV with Philo and Pluto, but decided to give up Philo because I was not watching it all that much. Can not wait until YTTV is integrated into the live tab. I do like the extended channel guide for recording.

What I do not like is that I can not remove and add specific channels, I have to do a complete rescan. In my area, I can only get rf 12 at night, but rf 28 (also channel 13) all the time (rf 19 ION is flaky but I would like

I have not had much issue with remote access, but honestly, I use it rarely - only a couple of times on my fire tablet in a hotel room while traveling.

I have had a weird issue lately though, I seem to have lost voice control over my Recast with the latest cube update.

Question for you - can your Recast lock on to 16 and add it to the guide?

I am thinking of upgrading to the new recast with 4 tuners and 1 TB storage. Have you heard anything about them?
Ah, you have a Cube. That's interesting. I have three FireTV Sticks, no cube. I'm sure the Cube is more robust. I should call Amazon and see what they say.
My Recast has never been able to receive channel 16, it is spotty where I live but my TV tuners can pick it up on occasion, especially in the Winter. I'm fortunate to live in an area with great reception for everything else (with my roof antenna). Though, the Recast remembers it couldn't record WTEN the time they repacked and ALWAYS reminds me that station has a history of a weak signal, even though WTEN comes in at almost full strength.

I haven't heard much about the 4 tuner Recast, I have the 2 tuner model myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page