Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #91 of 1270 Old 12-02-2003, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks tropicaldreamer.
I use Charter basic also. I switched from D* to E* last winter because my neighbor's trees kept me from receiving HD. I am pretty happy with their picture quality, but I hear that the superdish will cause them to eventually change satellites and I might be blocked again.

I find WNEM's digital picture is very soft, and I prefer it on cable also. I applied several times for a waiver so that I could pick up the CBS HD feed from E*, but WNEM keeps turning me down. When I called to ask why (I know why), I was rudely told that I cannot call about a "waiver" and they never issue waivers anyway. I find their attitude arrogant, especially since I only want the waiver until they broadcast in HD. I have even considered changing my address for E* so that I could pick up the Detroit locals. That would make their CBS HD feed available, but one of their installers said that they are beaming the Detroit stations, and a lot of people who were carrying one of their receivers up north to their cottage on weekends were no longer able to receive them. I don't want to break the law, I only want to watch high definition.

Sorry for venting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1270 Old 12-02-2003, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Martyr, just go ahead and change your address with E*, they really don't care. There are countless hundreds of threads about "Moving", here, in the TiVo section and over a DBS forums. I've done it for years, no problem. I really don't think you will have a problem with reception, you are not that far north. Just pick an address of a gas station or burger King in Pontiac or Detroit and use that address as your location, have the bill sent to your "real" address.

I'm not aware of the location of WNEM's tower (don't really care...) but WEYI's is east of I-75 just a little north of Clio. www.antennaweb.org will give you the exact location if you haven't been there yet.

The F/S/M-BS stations are a joke, soon to be more of one when WJRT starts multicasting. They are one of ABC O&O stations that are doing this. While I can see WEYI's tower at night, and am just about 15 air miles from WJRT I haven't watched them in months, can't imagine I ever will. Luckily I'm in a great spot and get Detroit, and Lansing stations very well so I can ignore the idiots here. I feel sorry for people up north haning to deal with the unimpressive team at WNEM and the stretch jerks at WJRT and the inept engineering group at WEYI, I don't know how this area is 3 for 3. I read over in the Grand Rapids thread that the chief engineer at WNEM quit because of their HD policy, and he's very happy in Oregon or some place on the west coast.

Go for the move, CBS has some of the best HD out there, it's a shame to miss it.
post #93 of 1270 Old 12-03-2003, 03:17 PM

I'm sorry to hear that about WJRT. There isn't that much good programming out there to fill 3 more stations. Maybe they will show 4 games on MNF, and I can pull that old Philco out of my basement and sell my Samsung.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 1270 Old 12-06-2003, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WJRT is multicasting now. They popped in a couple of nights ago. HD on 12-1, SD on 12-2 and Radar on 12-3.
post #95 of 1270 Old 12-06-2003, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

From what I read in another thread this is not the mulicasting I'm talking about. ABC wants to run 3 or 4 SEPERATE channels, like a mini cable or Sat system on the sub channnels. What they are doing now, I believe is, just a test to get the system up and running.
post #96 of 1270 Old 12-07-2003, 11:39 AM

Wow....I just turned my Silver Sensor around to take a look at WJRT.. That stretch IS annoying! Especially on a 4x3 monitor in crop mode.
KGO used to stretch a while ago. They also run a SD duplicate channel, but last I saw they had no radar.
The radar looks more crisp on WJRT than on the other 2 Detroit radars.
When I captured the transport stream, it tells me that 12.0 is using 80Mb/s and 12.1 and 12.2 is using 15MB/s.

I guess I'll keep the Silver Sensor pointed at Detroit.. Too bad I can't get WLNS from here though.
post #97 of 1270 Old 12-09-2003, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the push Matt. It took about 10 minutes. By Saturday I was able to see LSU/Georgia in HD. That gives me CBS and ABC, but I am getting a lot of pop outs from WJRT even though the signal stays above 70. 12.2 and 12.3 are there also. Now I can start concentrating on NBC (WEYI) and hope I don't grow to old before FOX starts broadcasting!
post #98 of 1270 Old 12-09-2003, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Martyr, glad to hear you"moved"!

BTW, what kind of antenna to you have? There is a fairly strong Lansing FOX station, 38-5. It comes it great for me, I think I suggested if to someone else up your way awhile back and they had no luck in getting it. Anyway it might be worth a try...
post #99 of 1270 Old 12-17-2003, 10:24 AM

Martyr:

Please describe how you managed to beat the 'waver' problem with CBS. I am a fellow Midlander with the same problem.

Paul
post #100 of 1270 Old 12-18-2003, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You just call E* and change your service address to one that is covered by the Detroit Locals. Fenton is about the cut off point. find an address of a vacant lot or gas station and "Move" there. leave your billing address as is.
post #101 of 1270 Old 12-19-2003, 10:57 PM

Anyone know whether any of the NFL playoffs or the college bowl games will be in HD. I guess the Rose Bowl is out since it is usually on NBC. Any news about WEYI and HD?
post #102 of 1270 Old 01-09-2004, 01:16 PM

I was able to catch the Leno show in HD on WEYI Thursday night (ER also was in HD, but it was on and off during its hour). It was on 30-02. I also heard that Flint/Saginaw locals are on E* now. It looks like the Tri-Cities is slowly being dragged into the 21st Century. I think I will keep my Detroit locals until WNEM comes around though. CSI (both of them) looks great in HD.
post #103 of 1270 Old 01-09-2004, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well to make things interesting, D is now going to do what CBS and E* has, offer O&O stations in HD on sat, plus they are talking about adding FOX HD too--not that I need either.

Now, I'm just waiting for the HD TiVo at a reasonable price and I'll be very happy.
post #104 of 1270 Old 01-09-2004, 10:54 PM

Matt, I am lightyears behind you. I have to scramble to get my HD. ABC and NBC are both OTA and both simulcast. I noticed WJRT was running a news broadcast with second stringers at 10:00PM and a rerun of the 11:00 news at Midnight on 12-02. I have to use E to get CBS, but it seems to be the best and most consistant picture, so I have to wonder if WJRT and WEYI are cheating us on bandwidth. If bandwidth is the correct term.

A quick question. When I scan in the digital stations, why do some of them show up on their VHF frequency (WNEM @ 5.1, and WJRT @ 12.1), and others on their assigned digital frequency (WEYI @ 30.2)?
post #105 of 1270 Old 01-09-2004, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's called remapping, there is info that is supposed to be included in the signal that tells the tuner how to display the channel number. WEYI does't have the brain power to setup and run their equipment.

Anytime you run sub channels you take something away form the main channel. There is a fixed amount of bandwidth and it can only be divided so many ways before it starts to get ugly. If I was in your position I'd look at Express Vue or some of the other Canadian providers. Lots of folks around the country use this service and get all the network feeds in HD. If I recall correctly they get the Boston feed and the Seattle feed, great for time shifting. You have to use an address broker but it's not that complicated. I know they use the same equipment as E*, I only glance at the threads from time to time so I don't know if you can convert your equipment to from E* to EV but it's something you might want to explore.
post #106 of 1270 Old 01-10-2004, 09:18 AM

I live in Bay City and when I did a digital station scan this morning, I do not pick up 30-02 on WEYI; only 25 with my antenna. I wonder why you can get it and I can not?
post #107 of 1270 Old 01-10-2004, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I dont get WEYI on digital now & I havent for quite a while. I think they are just testing it sometimes.
post #108 of 1270 Old 01-10-2004, 11:36 PM

I think WEYI is testing also. I received a digital picture a couple of times about two weeks ago, then nothing. Thought I would try it again Thursday. I started about 9PM when ER started, and received a 4:3 digital picture for about 20 minutes, then it just came on full screen and the resolution got better. Every 10 minutes or so, it would go off for a few seconds. HD came on again for Leno and stayed on for the hour. Pretty sharp. Friday Third Watch and Leno came on and stayed. I have not looked at it today (Saturday).

Matt, I have read about Canada, but I have been reluctant to change because I am surrounded by trees. My neighbor has one just under 119 that really bothers me when the leaves are on it. Do they use the same satellites that E* does?

Anybody know a good tree assassin who works cheap and can keep his mouth shut?
post #109 of 1270 Old 01-10-2004, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not same sat, they use the same equipment. I think they are at 86 and 92 degrees. KenH has posted on the topic if you do a search I'm sure you will get lots of good info...
post #110 of 1270 Old 01-29-2004, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Man! Look at all these Tri-City guys! How come we've never had a Tri-City meet?

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #111 of 1270 Old 01-29-2004, 01:20 PM

I hear WEYI has a new owner.. I wonder what that will bring......
post #112 of 1270 Old 01-29-2004, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey it couldn't get ANY worse.....

If you read the Lansing thread someone over there contacted WEYI and said they were very condescending and told them they are not broadcasting PSIP info, and they were meeting all the FCC regulations. Someone posted that their Samsung receiver can't get WEYI's signal because it lack s PSIP, doesn't someone here use a Samsung? Do you get WEYI? I've got an RCA and can get them but I never watch them, WDIV and WILX do a much better job.
post #113 of 1270 Old 01-29-2004, 03:27 PM

I use a Sony LCD front projector and a E* 6000 for HD, and WEYI has been hit or miss since early in January when I was able to get it three evenings in a row. I can register a signal strength, but often it is not strong enough to support a picture. I just get a dark screen. I guess I will have to get up there with an amp when the snow melts.

These locals in the tri-cities are a joke. I resent their attitude that they think they have the right to withhold modern quality service. What really bothers me up is that they won't let us go elsewhere yet they think we don't care. I don't feel bad about trying to get other service, and I will especially enjoy watching the Superbowl in HD on Sunday (except for the teams). With all these chemical engineers here in Midland, you would think they would be interested in quality.
post #114 of 1270 Old 01-29-2004, 03:57 PM

Matt L:

I use a Samsung *D tuner and have a roof top antenna. I only get analog.
post #115 of 1270 Old 01-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all!

Just posting to join the Tri-cities thread. I'm in Midland over by the courthouse, a couple blocks off of Main street. I've got an X1 DLP FP (which is being returned in a couple weeks due to rainbows for a faster color wheel DLP) and a Samsung HD tuner I caught open box @ Best Buy for $169 before I even had my projector.

I've got an older Jensen 'amplified' indoor antenna (not powered though). Me and the fiancee don't really watch much TV but I wanted in on HD for the Superbowl (not a sports guy either, but even I watch the super bowl) and perhaps for the occasional hockey playoff game. I'm a renter so there's not a lot of point in investing in a real antenna at this time.

I can get in WNEM with a signal strength of 30-40% or so, and WJRT comes in tolerably as well. I have no hope of getting in WEYI. I actually haven't seen HD on the FP yet, I had it running downconverted to 480i via s-video to my old 27" to check reception, but I'm still in the setting up stage with my FP setup.

"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
post #116 of 1270 Old 01-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Another Midland question.

I live in Larkin Twp, close to the Mall. Looking for some tips, or at least confirmation that it can be done, for tuning WWTV (CBS in Cadillac) or WLNS (CBS in Lansing). I'm using a large VHF/UHF antenna (57 elements, 160" boom with preamplifier) and can get both stations analog signals at 100%, but digital only at 13-17%. Antenna is currently at 20' on a small tower, but could go to 30' with some effort. Tuner is MyHD PC card.
post #117 of 1270 Old 02-05-2004, 04:08 PM

I hear that the Detroit/Colorado game tonight on ESPN is going to be in HD! If so, it will be the first time I ever saw a Detroit team in HD.
post #118 of 1270 Old 02-05-2004, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 58
...dropping another hint for a tri-city get together...

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #119 of 1270 Old 02-11-2004, 11:07 AM

I see WEYI has their HD channel up and running. I pulled it in at 69% last night.
post #120 of 1270 Old 02-11-2004, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, for anyone in the Flint area WDWB is up and running in HD on 21-1. I get a decent signal, a few drop outs, but it looks great. don't know how far north the signal gets but you might want to try and pick it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page