Seattle, WA - OTA - Page 353 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 139Likes

post #10561 of 10581 Old 02-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Work on the KZJO, KCPQ-LP and KBTC translators should be done by the end of the week. Today (Tuesday) all three transmitters are off as the KBTC antenna is being moved up in elevation. Once that is done they will increase their power from 1KW ERP to 1.8KW ERP.

Transmission line is still being run for KZJO; once the last little bit of that is done the line will be swept for loss and frequency response. When we get the clearance to use the new transmission line and antenna we will switch over to that antenna and ramp up the power to our rated power of 1000KW ERP.

As I said, hopefully by the end of the week.

Thank you for your patience while we do the conversion of our transmission system mandated by the TV repack.

Val
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10562 of 10581 Old 02-11-2020, 10:53 AM

Just noticed that the KBTC translator on RF28 is back on the air with a much stronger signal at my West Seattle home. Yesterday it was at one "dot" of signal strength and pixelating and now it's at a dot and two bars, and this is without the antenna (on a rotor) being peaked up to Capitol Hill.

Val
post #10563 of 10581 Old 02-17-2020, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvashon View Post
Just noticed that the KBTC translator on RF28 is back on the air with a much stronger signal at my West Seattle home. Yesterday it was at one "dot" of signal strength and pixelating and now it's at a dot and two bars, and this is without the antenna (on a rotor) being peaked up to Capitol Hill.
I took your post as motivation to re-scan, and, for the first time since the repack, I'm seeing pretty much everything without needing to move my antenna: 4, 5, 7 from Queen Anne, 9, 11, 13 from Capitol Hill, 16, 20, 22, 28 from Capitol Hill, 33, 44, 51, and 56.

If I move the antenna, I can see 6 as well as other transmitters for 7, 13, and 28.

I'm hoping things stabilize just about as they are right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10564 of 10581 Old 04-04-2020, 09:51 AM

Here's an update on the OTA signals coming from the KTZZ (!) tower on Capitol Hill. Since we put the new KZJO transmitter on the air with the top mounted antenna and ran it up to make our full licensed power in late February, the new transmitter has tried to commit suicide twice.

Several weeks ago an o-ring failed in the cooling system and the transmitter tried to drown itself in coolant from one of the heat exchange pumps. While it runs much cooler than the previous transmitter, it still generates enough heat to require a liquid cooling system. Power was down for a number of days as we sorted that out and installed new parts (under warranty!) from the manufacturer.

This past weekend, a harmonic filter failed and the transmitter tried to set itself on fire due to the heat generated from dramatically increased resistance in part of the feed line. Fortunately, the transmitter detected the increased reflected power and shut that part of the transmitter off. It took two of us with crowbars to pry the harmonic filter off of the combiner as the heat in the center conductor had started to fuse the filter to the "bullet" at the top of the combiner.

A new harmonic filter has been installed and the power has been run up to 90% of where it should be as a test. On Sunday the 5th it will be brought up that last 10% and we will be back at full rated power. If you were having problems with KZJO over the past month it was because the main transmitter wasn't able to make full power or we were on the auxiliary transmitter while the main was being worked on.

Also last week, a brand new, modern transmitter has replaced the very old, somewhat unreliable and un-supported transmitter for KCPQ-LP (RF 22, 13.x) on the Capitol Hill tower. We did have to reduce power on this license when the repack happened from 15kw to 7.5kw. The new transmitter, of course, is set to make a 7.5kw ERP so there probably won't be improved signal strength for anybody but the frequent outages caused by the old one should be a thing of the past. Another plus is that we now have a spare working transmitter that we can use to keep our other translator stations in the area on the air when their (un-supported) transmitters fail.

I have also personally inspected the KBTC translator on RF 28 and can report that in addition to moving their antenna up the tower in February they have also significantly increased the power; both of these things should lead to a better signal on KBTC (RF 28/28.x) here in the Seattle area.

Finally, I did inspect the sad, forgotten transmitter for K08OU-D, the Three Angels Broadcasting station. I may have mentioned earlier that three of the four power modules in the transmitter appear to have failed and the transmitter appears to be putting out maybe 10 watts. I did send an e-mail to a contact person and heard back, thanking me for the heads up and promising to contact somebody in their technical department. That's about as far as it went as I haven't noticed any signal improvement (not that I want to watch this channel) on this station.

All for now-

Val
post #10565 of 10581 Old 04-09-2020, 07:49 PM

For those of you who can't get enough of Spanish religious programming streamed with a low bit rate and fed to an LPTV broadcast station, interspersed with the Windows desktop picture airing for days on end, I have good news for you!

KRUM-LD, the LPTV displaced from channel 24 here in Seattle is about to resurface on channel 32! This station started out in 1985 as a satellite (presumably) fed translator station airing TBN on channel 23 in Aberdeen, Washington as K23AS. Ownership changes, status changes and jumps from Aberdeen to Olympia to Renton and then to Seattle led to it becoming KRUM-LD on channel 24 from Capitol Hill on the KSTW tower (I believe). Forced off the air due to transmitter failure and the repack, they have been silent for over a year but have filed an amended STA to stay silent and licensed while their new equipment arrives.

The new antenna is expected to ship on April 15th and they expect to resume operations this summer with 15 KW from the KING tower on Queen Anne Hill. Get ready to rescan!

Val

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-lo...l#post18360156
rdvegas likes this.

Last edited by valvashon; 04-09-2020 at 07:56 PM.
post #10566 of 10581 Old 04-22-2020, 08:17 PM

I have a 50" LG HDTV as my main TV. Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! are pretty regular after dinner watching at my house so I guess that means the Mrs. and I are getting old! Anyway, I see occasional signal drops lasting about 1-2 seconds on those two shows when watching via antenna on KOMO 4-1. I don't regularly watch anything else on KOMO so I don't know if it's the shows or something in the KOMO air chain that's causing it.

Tonight's shows had two, one in each show if I remember correctly. Last night there was only one dropout. Last night I had the spectrum analyzer set up and saw no signal drop when the dropout occured- the digital haystack was fine and the signal strength is good. This is a cut to black and then back, there is no pixelization.

Tonight I had a second set hooked up to the iView recorder and was just using that as a tuner. Saw the dropouts on the LG set but not on the iView monitor.

Obviously it's something with my LG set as it's not the signal strength and another tuner doesn't have the problem. Any ideas here? I'll be contacting somebody I know at KOMO to see if anybody else has complained about this problem but if you have an idea let me know.

Thanks-

Val
post #10567 of 10581 Old 04-23-2020, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LTE filter needed?

Hi,

Short Story and question
There is a cell tower about 1/4 mile from my house, directly in the path to QueenAnne and Capitol hills from my home. Towers are about 12.5 miles away.

After trying two different antennas temporarily mounted at the peak of my roof, I'm guessing I'm getting interference from LTE.

Question: Should I just buy a Channel Master CM-3201 LTE filter before doing anything else?

Long story
I'm (re)attempting to get OTA signal at my home.

Today, I temporarily installed an antenna at the peak of my roof (~20') and pointed it in the general direction of the Capital/QueenAnne hill stations.

I used a "Perfect Vision Digiair" signal meter to try to optimize for channels 4(30),5(25),7(23),9,11,13 (post repack)

I updated my old HDHR-US with latest firmware (amazing they still provide updates on 9 year old device) and connected to antenna.

My first antenna was a Fracarro LP345F (smallish log periodic). This "almost" works, but not quite.

My second antenna is a Denny's HD Stacker. This was significantly *worse* (not what I expected). I didn't spend as much time aiming this though, but I think it was at least decent.

Summary of HDHomeRun values
SigStr% = Signal Strength %
SigQual% = Signal Quality %
SymQual% = Symbol Quality %

Code:
            === Log Per ================        === Stacker ================
             SigStr%    SigQual%    SymQual%    SigStr%    SigQual%    SymQual%

4(30)        90        72            8-100      78        9-50        0    
5(25)        82        0-41          0          81        0-42        0
7(23)        82        16-64         0          82        0-48        0
9            84        62            100        78        23-55       0
11           91        75            100        91        75          100
13          100        85            100       100        83          100
Thanks for any ideas/assistance,
Dale

post #10568 of 10581 Old 04-23-2020, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Buy the filter and install it. You won't be sorry. With an LTE tower ONLY 1/4 mile from your house, any signals on the upper UHF (30+) are going to take a beating from the LTE signal. It can even trickle down to lower channels. Since the coronavirus pandemic began, the cellular towers are getting a real work out with people staying at home and using the internet much more than they had been previously.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.
post #10569 of 10581 Old 04-23-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradiohead55 View Post
Buy the filter and install it. You won't be sorry.
Thanks Jim!
Will do.
post #10570 of 10581 Old 04-25-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleq View Post
Thanks Jim!
Will do.
After looking at YouTube video by "Antenna Man" named "4G LTE Interference on OTA Antenna TV - Fix it with an LTE Filter", I'm almost certain the filter will not help.
My problem is low-quality signal caused (I presume) by many tall trees between my home and the towers.
The LTE filter seems to only mitigate periodic glitches in an otherwise stable signal.
Sigh... Pining for the good-old-days of VHF...
post #10571 of 10581 Old 04-25-2020, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvashon View Post
I see occasional signal drops lasting about 1-2 seconds ... when watching via antenna on KOMO 4-1.
I've noticed something that might be related. I have an Ematic converter box that behaves in an unusual way on KOMO 4.x. About three or four times per hour the box acts as if it has just been tuned to KOMO: The program info is displayed onscreen and the picture and audio disappear for a second. This happens only on KOMO and KUNS. It doesn't happen while the Ematic is recording.

The Ematic box has lots of bugs, so I have been assuming that a bug is causing it to misbehave when it sees something unique in the KOMO and KUNS data streams. I can't imagine what that unique thing is though.
post #10572 of 10581 Old 05-02-2020, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post
Just wanted to ask if by chance anyone has any idea on when ATSC 3 implementation will officially start in the US, particularly in the Seattle area?

Better yet if you have any links to sites that have the latest news on such developments, I'd appreciate it. I've kinda struck out searching on my own.

Thanks
As I just ordered (really "Kickstarted") a HDHR "Quattro" ATSC 3.0 tuner that is due around August, I wandered here to see if anyone had posted insight into our station's 3.0 tests/plans.

My searching came up with this post from another forum but nothing else. Anyone else out there aware of anything else or where to look to know (short of sending emails to the stations)?

https://www.dbstalk.com/community/in...hes-on.229447/
Quote:
"Sometime in the last couple of days, the Tegna station KING-TV in Seattle switched to atsc 3.0 and reworked its subchannels radically, increasing from the original two subchannels to seven, many of them in full 1080. There hasn't been any press release as of yet, and there's been nothing as to the other Tegna stations in the Pacific Northwest in Portland OR or Spokane WA. As this station group is currently being hawked for sale, I wonder if any of the other stations around the country have made the switch.

One would think some press release would be forthcoming; the station completed its frequency repack a while back, moving from uhf 48 to 25. That was a pretty radical switch requiring a new transmitter and antenna array, and it seems they went all in."
For those who weren't aware and are interested, the 3.0 tuner Kickstarter is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=user_menu
post #10573 of 10581 Old 05-02-2020, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Not sure where that poster at DBSTalk thinks they got that information from, but they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

Before any station can switch to 3.0 operations they would have have to file a request for a next gen modification of license with the FCC to notify them of their plan and indicate which station(s) all of their current subchannels would be moving to for the 5 year ATSC 1.0 simulcast, and as of today not a single station in the Seattle DMA has made this filing with the FCC.

The live bandscan at RabbitEars also show RF 25 as an ATSC 1.0 operation:
https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/one_tun...047C0BC/tuner1
https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/signal_...tuner1/KING-TV

If RF 25 was an ATSC 3.0 operation it would show up as a strong but undecodable signal on the Seattle area live bandscan. Plus if KING did make an unauthorized surprise switch to ATSC 3.0 a few days ago, people in this thread would have noticed.

Last edited by KyL416; 05-02-2020 at 03:43 AM.
post #10574 of 10581 Old 05-02-2020, 03:53 AM

That was a comment from a month ago. I didn't understand what they were suggesting by saying they "switched" as that isn't how I understand initial testing would go.
As for the FCC notification, where do you see that information and does it show applications from the areas that are currently running the tests?
post #10575 of 10581 Old 05-02-2020, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 170
You can find the filings here:
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...AppSearch.html

In the "Purpose" box select "Modification of License (Next Gen)" to see all the ATSC 3.0 filings.
curtisb likes this.
post #10576 of 10581 Old 05-03-2020, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yeah that has to be false about KING going 1080p.

I don't have a 4K TV yet, but mine IS compatible with 1080p, and I've not seen KING or any of it's substations go to 1080p yet. Would be really nice to start seeing a lot of 1080p channels crop up though, especially the substations that are currently only 480i.

That said, my concern lately is whether COVID-19 is going to affect roll out dates for ANY higher res broadcasts. It seems to have a grip on pretty much every industry lately.
post #10577 of 10581 Old 05-06-2020, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 915
In Las Vegas, KVCW 33 will make the switch to ATSC 3.0 on May 26th. The four main stations will partner. Those are KSNV NBC, KLAS CBS, KTNV ABC, and KVCW CW. Their ATSC 1.0 versions will make switches on the RF channel but should keep their current vidtual channel numbering. Anyway, this will make Las Vegas an early entrant to the world of ATSC 3.0. We've had several demos in the past during NAB down here. Now it's for good.
curtisb likes this.

Will the last subscriber leaving Dish Network please turn off the satellite.
post #10578 of 10581 Old 05-14-2020, 09:50 AM

Just lost KIRO 7-1 today. I thought I just needed to rescan, but now the scanner won't even pickup 7-1 at all, and if I try to input it manually I get nothing.

It's been working fine up through yesterday. Anyone else having this problem?
post #10579 of 10581 Old 05-14-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post
Just lost KIRO 7-1 today. I thought I just needed to rescan, but now the scanner won't even pickup 7-1 at all, and if I try to input it manually I get nothing.
It's been working fine up through yesterday. Anyone else having this problem?
Just checked on my HDHR and am seeing "Unable to play Channel: No Video Data" for 7 and the two subs. So it isn't you.
post #10580 of 10581 Old 05-14-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
Just checked on my HDHR and am seeing "Unable to play Channel: No Video Data" for 7 and the two subs. So it isn't you.
Yeah I just called KIRO. I couldn't get through to Keith the tech, but the receptionist said their transmitter is down and they're running tests. They expect to have it up and running within "several hours".

[EDITED]
Just got a call back from one of the techs confirming this. He said they're putting up a new antenna.
toomeypj and curtisb like this.

Last edited by Hi Def Fan; 05-14-2020 at 11:01 AM.
post #10581 of 10581 Old 05-18-2020, 11:20 PM

FYI on responses I got from last week when inquiring if there were any timelines for ATSC 3.0 testing that could be shared at this time. Super quick responses from KING and KIRO which was impressive even if the answer wasn't what I hoped for. Really strange that all the Portland stations have filled FCC docs and are underway but none of the Seattle ones are yet.

KOMO 4: No response

KING 5:
Thanks for contacting us and for your interest in ATSC 3.0. Contrary to information on ATSC’s webpage there are currently no plans to bring ATSC 3.0 to the Seattle area that I’ve been personally made aware. That said, I’m not always aware of future plans until late in the game but as of now, I’m not aware of anything planned for Seattle in 2020.
I do know my colleagues in Portland, Oregon are actively working on ATSC 3.0 although that’s been delayed a bit due to the COVID-19 situation. I believe they’re planning a mid-2020 launch which is about eight months delayed from their original plan.
All of this to say, this is a fluid situation and we’ll just have to follow the bouncing ball!
Feel free to check back with me periodically and I’ll be happy to pass along any updates that I may have.
Thanks again
DICK TRUMBO
Head of Technology

KIRO 7:
There is not a timeline for 3.0 testing for KIRO. With the recent spectrum auction repack and the current Covid-19 pandemic, any road map for 3.0 has been put on hold.
Our transmitter and antenna are ATSC 3.0 ready, however there is no signal plan in place yet.
KEITH NEALEY | Director of Engineering

KCTS 9: No Response

KCPQ 13: No Response
rdvegas likes this.

Last edited by curtisb; 05-21-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
antenna , puyallup , tacoma

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page