Wilmington, NC - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #31 of 2580 Old 07-30-2003, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so whats the lasted on local HD channels here. were less than 2 months away from NFL and i want monday night football in HD. is it going to happen? any news to pass along?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2580 Old 07-30-2003, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Your guess is as good as mine. I have attempted emailing some people at the stations. I received a few replies of who to contact...The email address was invalid. emailed back- still invalid. Im not sure if she knew how to spell the name. I emailed PBS as well asking when they were gonna send out some HD content OTA...not just Time Warner...BTW im on charter...so i believe that is a lost cause for HD at this time. Charter isnt really together around here and I dont think wilmington is on the "todo" list. I am thinking about dss every day...but honestly would rather sit tight for the HD tivo box. Its not that important to me at this time to dump that money on a HD capable receiver. I would hope that one of the networks wants to be the 1st. That would say something for em in my opinion. But from what I understand in these parts ...they are owned by same group. Cant remember the specifics but remember someone posting about that.

Anyways, keep the thread alive
post #33 of 2580 Old 07-30-2003, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey Incus, does ABC digital look all washed out and too bright? Mine does... I'd think it might be my amp, and too strong a signal, but PBS looks great...

I was optimistic earlier this summer when I saw some channels come online digital, but I've since cooled off quite a bit.

NBC got an extension because they changed their channel to 44--I spoke with an engineer there yesterday, and they are just now pouring a cement pad for their xmitter facility, and they still don't have all their equipment. Target date is early Sept possibly. The bright side is that they expect to go full power and pass HD from the start.

I couldn't get ABC last night at all, otherwise I have a strong signal (I live just north of Monkey Junction in Crosswinds)--although I do have an amp on my antenna, a Channel Master 4221 up in my attic.

Fox is ok, hell, they're only about 5kw effective radiated power, takes a while for my Dish 6000 to lock in, but fairly stable after that.

PBS comes in great--I just wish they'd get some HD content. I call the station in Chapel Hill, and am in touch with Wayne Esterbrook, their chief engineer, asking about HD--maybe by fall...

Yep, one of these days we'll be all caught up with the big boys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 2580 Old 07-30-2003, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

ABC washout and oversaturated colors is not your amp. We all get it as far as I know. It looks like crayola sometimes lol
post #35 of 2580 Old 07-30-2003, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 450
I'm not in Wilmington(actually just 10 miles west of I-95 Lumberton) But I usually pickup ABC WWAY-DT 3 each morning and evening. I to notice it's overly bright and either the gama or saturation is also off bad. I haven't gotten even a flicker of a signal for a little over 24 hours. I had been getting around 40% to 70% signal from them. I'm not sure if this bad weather past couple days is due to no signal strength or if their digital is off the air. I would think even with the weather I'd still get some kinda signal even if it's week but I'm getting nothing. Maybe their off trying to correct the picture or hopefully about to go 1080i.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
post #36 of 2580 Old 07-30-2003, 02:23 PM

Dear Wilmington area DTV viewers;
Please be advised that UNC-TV will begin HD broadcasting on the 39-2 channel beginning 8 PM August 3, 2003 and will have HD broadcasting every evening from 8PM to 11PM. The first show will be an original UNC-TV HD production "Carolina Preserves". I think you will enjoy the excellent HD video quality. 3 of the SD channels 39-3, 39-4, and 39-5will go away when we come on with HD.
Thanks for watching UNC-TV Digital !
Wayne Estabrooks, Chief Engineer - UNC-TV

Wayne Estabrooks
Chief Engineer - Transmission
UNC-TV
post #37 of 2580 Old 07-30-2003, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Wayne, you lurker!

Sorry I got your last name wrong...

Great news about HD!!

I'll be watching.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Marc

RE: ABC--that's a great explanation--"crayola". I left a voice mail for their engineer, but didn't hear back. Still no signal as of 1/2 hour ago. We all need to call and let them know the picture quality is poor...
post #38 of 2580 Old 07-30-2003, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmmmm, kewl! I'm sure these guys(& ladies) appreciate the heads up.

I think Lumberton WUNU-DT 25.2 is getting ready to start broadcasting HD also. For nearly a week now they have been showing the same thing on both 25.5(UNCNC Annenberg?) and 25.2(UNCHD Annenberg?). 25.2 had previously been blank ever since they started broadcasting(accept for 1 week a few months ago).

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #39 of 2580 Old 07-31-2003, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

WWAY-DT 3 was back on air lastnight but there didn't seem to be any improvement in the picture. But today it looks a little better, not as bright and the color is closer to normal but still not right. I'm looking at Maury right now and its colors look good but the commercials colors need help. Oddly though my signal strength right now is rock solid at 100% on my DST3000. You think they raised the power?

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #40 of 2580 Old 07-31-2003, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Watching WWAY-DT now... it does look better, but still uneven, some commercials are bad, and the news studio shots are still too bright and now seem undersaturated, but the news story clips look pretty good.

Maybe Ken (station engineer) is listening to the messages I leave, even if he doesn't return my calls... If Ken would call me back, I'd invite him to my house to see the picture.

Disclaimer--I'm watching on a 20" tv, not my 58" RPTV--so it may look worse blowed up real big...
post #41 of 2580 Old 08-01-2003, 10:48 AM

Hello Marc, Daryl, Paul Incus, Daniel and any others on this thread;
We are still on go to begin HD on Sunday evening August 3, at 8 PM
Daryl, thanks for the heads up on our Lumberton station, the 25-2 that you are getting Annenberg. It is not supposed to be there it should only be on -5. I am a little confused with your post as we broadcast from Lumberton Digital on RF channel 25 but it is supposed to identify its virtual channel as 31-1 31-2 etc. In Greenville we broadcast digital on channel 23 and it should identify as channel 25-1 etc. since our analog NTSC is channel 25.
I would be happy to hear any reports or complaints good or bad as to the DTV signals.
We will check into this stuff that Daryl reported. Thanks again for the info and thanks for watching..
Wayne Estabrooks, Chief Engineer [email protected]

Wayne Estabrooks
UNC-TV
post #42 of 2580 Old 08-01-2003, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wayne,

I e-mailed clarifying that I am getting Lumbertons RF channels 25-x remapped correctly to 31-x. Sorry for the confusion. And that Annenberg isn't only on 31-2(25-2) but that its being duplicated on both 31-2(25-2) and 31-5(25-5) at the same time.

As for WWAY-DT 3(46-1), I think may may have raised their power. Up till 3 days ago their signal here ranged between 40% and 70% morning and evening and dropped to low to see during the afternoon. For the past 3 days their power has been 50% and 80% during the afternoon (depending on the weather) and at 100% in the morning and evening.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #43 of 2580 Old 08-03-2003, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My responce from UNCTV on Friday.....Its great looking at the screen waiting for them to flip the switch. I wonder if they feel like chevy chase in Christmas Vacation right about now. lol Timestamp is 7:36 PM Sunday August 3rd. I was there

Hello Josh,

You will be happy to hear that UNC-TV on WUNJ Ch.29 DT, will begin
transmitting a regular HD schedule starting Sunday Aug 3, 2003. This will
be in the 1080i format.

UNC-TV will broadcast HD programming on a regular daily schedule starting
every night at 8pm.

The first program to be aired this Sunday is "Carolina Preserves".

Enjoy the programming and the HD programming.

Thanks for watching UNC-TV.

Jayme Hanzak
Special Projects Engineer
[email protected]
www.unctv.org
post #44 of 2580 Old 08-03-2003, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

WE ARE LIVE!!!!> ONTIME TOO!

MYHD is in full force.

Carolina Preserves I think is what is on right now

Lets hear it for wilmingtons first HD OTA broadcast on UNCHD
post #45 of 2580 Old 08-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

I kinda felt that way last night too... my first OTA HD reception!!!

Signal/image was fairly decent, although I got a lot of strange effects when the camera panned on all those trees/leaves, kinda a shimmering. Don't know if that's just normal 1080i movement artifact, or some other compression issue... although I will say that the Dish HDNet race broadcast was really nice, and no issue with all that race car motion, nor any effects on the background as they followed the cars around the track.

Wayne, what's the bitrate on the HD broadcast? I hope it's higher than what Dish is sending...

ABC still doesn't look consistantly good, although overall it seems better than in the past.

Fox had audio but no video the past few days?
post #46 of 2580 Old 08-04-2003, 12:11 PM

Marc,

Thanks for the report. To answer your question, we run a fixed bit rate on UNC-HD of about 13 Mb/s. 384 kB/s is for audio 3.8 mB/s is for stream -1 UNC-TV most of the rest of the 19.39 mB/s for PSIP. This HD rate is probably more than the Dish HD. I do not know what the native display format of your monitor is but we operate in the 1080i mode. If you have a 720p monitor then it is converted in your set and that may cause artifacts also. There are naturally going to be compression artifacts in broadcast, satellite or Cable HD due to the severe compression. Remember that uncompressed HD is approx 1.5 Gb/s so it is compressed over 100 times. The artifacts I most notice in MPEG compression are fades to black and scenes when there is a lot of detail accompanied with fast motion. This will get better as equipment and algorithms advance. Thanks again for your report
Wayne Estabrooks, Chief Engineer-Transmission UNC-TV

Wayne Estabrooks
UNC-TV
post #47 of 2580 Old 08-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

I was thinking of the fade to black explanation also--only in this case there was a lot of green on the screen rather than black, maybe 2/3 was leaves, so instead of fade to black, there was a fade from green? It's basically a fade from one color that occupies a large portion of the screen...?

I was assuming your bitrate was higher than satellite, so possibly expecting a better picture... I'm running my OTA through the Dish 6000 receiver, output at 1080i, with my RPTV at 1080i.

Looking forward to watching more PBS!

+++++++
Hey Daryl--just spoke with Ken at WWAY, they did up the power last Thurs night, up to 800kW. The best he could do for now re signal quality is to look at the analog signal being fed to his Harris Transflex Encoder (what the hell is that?). He doesn't know what adjustments are available on the encoder, he may call Harris to find out. Also, they may go HD on network programming by next month...

Let me know if your image still looks too bright and saturated--I'll check again tonight, then call him Tue with a report...
post #48 of 2580 Old 08-04-2003, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

MarcS,

Thanks for the info. LOL sounds like WWAY just hooked the encoder up and turned it on without tweaking anything. Wonder if they opened the user guide? HEHE. As for going HD by next months sounds nice. Sometimes the weather prevents me from catching ABC WTVD-DT 11 hd feed out of Raleigh and ABC WPDE-DT 15 out of Florence isn't hd yet either.

As for the image, looking at it now it still looks the same as last I reported except the color is a little closer to normal. Both the digital and the analog channel seems to have a cloudy look to them now though. I think they just need to adjust the Contrast and Brightness and it would look good.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #49 of 2580 Old 08-04-2003, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

Originally posted by MarcS
The best he could do for now re signal quality is to look at the analog signal being fed to his Harris Transflex Encoder (what the hell is that?).

It is a combo MPEG-2 encoder, rudimentary NTSC upconverter/HD switcher. It has two inputs, one is the analog NTSC signal for upconversion and an HD input for network.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #50 of 2580 Old 08-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

foxeng--any suggestions? Seems like most of the station engineers around here talk to each other, especially about installing/operating all this new DT/HD equipment--do you think the ABC engineer would take offense at a viewer offering suggestions on how to fix his DT signal?

Can you clip a video signal similar to audio? What would the picture look like? Do you think the encoder needs adjustment, or is it the source signal? If the analog looks good, but the DT looks bad, what's to blame?

Also, tried to get to your website listed in your profile--can't connect. Got any stuff that our corporate firewall won't pass?

==== other reports ====

I can't get Fox anymore, played with my antenna--is it down?

ABC-DT still looks bad, same problems...

Some programming on PBS-HD last night was 4x3, since other stuff was HD widescreen, can I assume the 4x3 was intentional? It wasn't a case of needing to "flip a switch"?
post #51 of 2580 Old 08-05-2003, 08:07 AM

Marc S.;
I didn't get to watch much last night. I did watch some of the 8:30 program, Crown of The Continent, Alaska's Wrangell-St. Elias. It was in widescreen standard definition. There will be several shows that will be standard definition widescreen. I hope to watch the travel show tonight. I will check on the 4X3 program I don't know as I didn't see it. Do you know which show it was? Some portions of HD widescreen shows are in 4X3 especially when they use archive footage. As for WWAY sounds like they have an encoder setup problem. If the video level is too high it will exceed the A/D converter and run out of bits before reaching maximum white and video will have a pasty look. I am not able to see it here.
Wayne E.

Wayne Estabrooks
UNC-TV
post #52 of 2580 Old 08-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Ah, that would explane the picture quality in the Alaska show--it didn't look HD... Can't remember what program was 4x3, I was in a major channel surf mode last night...

Can't you put up a matrix of antennas to pick up WWAY-DT? We're only about 150 miles away!

When you say the video level may be too high, you are referring to the analog signal into the encoder? That could also explain the higher audio level?

Sounds like the solution is to cut the level of analog signal?
post #53 of 2580 Old 08-05-2003, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

MarcS,

LOL, your second last post looks like a pop quiz, essay style, hehe. Lets hope WWAY gets their encoder setup correctly and switched to HD soon because MNF looked and sounded great in HD dd5.1 lastnight on WTVD-DT 11 out of Raleigh atleast untill the game was called off in the 3rd quarter due to rain.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #54 of 2580 Old 08-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Daryl, where do you live again? Lumberton area? How do you manage to pick up WTVD? How many miles is that? The towers are SW of Raleigh so a bit closer to you?

Spoke with Ken this morning (WWAY engineer)--he said it may take a few days to get out to the transmitter so he can diagnose the problem. He will look at the signal coming out of the encoder in addition to the signal going in--I assume something obvious will stick out that's causing the image problem...
post #55 of 2580 Old 08-05-2003, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MarcS
foxeng--any suggestions? Seems like most of the station engineers around here talk to each other, especially about installing/operating all this new DT/HD equipment--do you think the ABC engineer would take offense at a viewer offering suggestions on how to fix his DT signal?

I do not know any of the engineers in the Wilmington area. I grew up in Fayetteville and lived in Lumberton in the early to mid 80's, but I have no idea now. I can give you some info that you can use to determine how you want to proceed on that idea. My uninformed opinion would be to give them some time to get it all figured out before you start raising cane. Calling them and telling them you have suggestions may not go over well. You might call and suggest that you would like to be a part of any OTA testing they might do. Let them stay in charge and you just offer reception reports, not fixes.

Stations in smaller markets like Wilmington do not have large staffs, much less large Engineering staffs. Not only is DTV a financial drain on capital and operating funds, but on manpower as well. The DTV transmitter is not high on very many commercial stations engineers mind and as long as it is putting out power and there is some kind of signal on the air, most are happy. They take this attitude for two reasons, one, there is no real audience yet for the DTV side (particularly in small markets) and two, there are things to do on the analog side, the side that is paying the electric bill to run that DTV transmitter, the side that is buying that DTV equipment and most importantly, the side that is paying salaries. Add to the fact that DTV is all new technology, and most if not all smaller market engineers are not as well versed in it and the learning curve is a 90 degree wall. When we went on with DTV April 2002, I spent the first 6 months trying to figure out what I had and how I could keep it from crashing all the time. I spent the next six months trying to get the transmitter stable enough for people to watch it; all 50 of the them. I have spent the next six months trying to improve the quality of the signal and now just as I gotten 480p down, I am now learning about 720p and how it works and doesn't work compared to what I already know with 480p. I have the benefit of a large corporation behind me for any questions or problems I might have. Most of the smaller market stations are not owned by mega billion dollar companies and they have it much tougher to get problems or questions answered. The cliff effect takes on a whole new meaning in this vain.

But don't feel sorry for us. We adapt fairly fast. Just think of DTV in this stage as a backstage look into broadcasting. You are seeing things that the rest of the viewers will never see since by the time the mainstream viewers come on line, these problems will be solved and it will all being boring, just like analog is now. But remember, in the early days of TV, analogs equivalent of the DTV problems were watched by early adapters then. How often do you see Technical Difficulty slides these days. Hardly ever, but just 20 years ago, it was common.

Quote:

Can you clip a video signal similar to audio? What would the picture look like? Do you think the encoder needs adjustment, or is it the source signal? If the analog looks good, but the DT looks bad, what's to blame?

Yes you can. Either do a screen capture if you have a DTV tuner card in your computer or you can take a picture of your screen with either a 35mm camera or digital camera. As far a DTV PQ, it could be several things and yes it could be the encoder is not set to a large enough bitrate or the analog to digital converter has problems or needs a tweak, or if the transmitter is not tuned correctly, it could cause pixalization or loss of picture all together.

Quote:

Also, tried to get to your website listed in your profile--can't connect. Got any stuff that our corporate firewall won't pass?

Shouldn't be hanging at a gateway. It just asks for on site cookies to keep up with your security level. I do not do tracking at all. I am opposed to site tracking. I run the NCHDTV.com site only. The Triad site is run by another person and I have no say over that site.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #56 of 2580 Old 08-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've been trying to get WWAY since they started broadcasting digital. I'm about 4 miles south of Ocean Isle beach and cannot get any sign of a signal. I'm there quite a bit, anybody else close by getting anything?

I have a outside antenna, pre-amp, ect.. can get the PBS stations no problem, low 90's signal. I can also get 16 and 20 out of Florence, sometimes even WBTW. Actually I can get everything I'm suppose too..

I got a e-mail from the manager at WWAY yesterday saying they were at 80% power, so, if thats true then I should get it,, or IMO should have been getting it the whole time.

Anybody got any ideas what might block it? Its that RCA DTC-100.. I don't remember everything I've read about such problems. I've yet to even get it to say its a digital signal on 46,, picked up some kind extremely weak analog channel a few times.

Maybe they aren't really beaming the signal in that direction right now? Anybody else getting it with the RCA?
post #57 of 2580 Old 08-05-2003, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

MarcS,

Actually WRAL-DT CBS 5(53-1), WTVD-DT ABC 11(52-1), WRAZ-DT FOX 50(49-1), WLFL-DT WB 22(57-1) and WRDC-DT UPN 28(27-1) are all on the South East side of Raleigh. I also get WNCN-DT NBC 17(55-1) and occasionally WNCT-DT CBS 9(10-1) also but not sure were their tower is located. I live in Pembroke(10 miles west of I-95 & Lumberton). I'm aproximately 77 miles from Raleights towers(just over 10 miles past the event horizon).

Also get WFPX-DT PAX 62(36-1) 24/7.

I use a Channel Master Crossfire 3671 antenna with length: 173" = 14.4' Width: 110" = 9.2' and an anntenna mounted Channel Master Titan 7777 amp. I use a 22 ft. mast supported against the A roof with a channel master rotor on it and a 5 ft. mast on the rotor with the antenna and amp atop it. So given my distance and with the help of the weather and tropospheric ducting I pickup Raleighs station around 75% of the time in evenings and mornings(occasionally afternoons). Plus I get WRAL, WRAZ, WTVD & WNCN's SD & HD on TWC.

And now that WWAY-DT ABC 3(46-1) has raised their power to 800kw I lock onto them 24/7 as well. No idea were their tower is either. I was under the impression they were at a temp place. Not sure.

I'm much closer to Florence(~55 miles) so I get WBTW-DT CBS 13(56-1), WPDE-DT ABC 15(16-1) and WWMB-DT UPN 21(20-1) 24/7 when their not off air. I'm in a pretty good location DTV wise.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #58 of 2580 Old 08-05-2003, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Larry J,

Try to find out if their using a direction transmitter pointed away from the beaches.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #59 of 2580 Old 08-05-2003, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Larry J
I got a e-mail from the manager at WWAY yesterday saying they were at 80% power, so, if thats true then I should get it,, or IMO should have been getting it the whole time.

Anybody got any ideas what might block it? Its that RCA DTC-100.. I don't remember everything I've read about such problems. I've yet to even get it to say its a digital signal on 46,, picked up some kind extremely weak analog channel a few times.

Well you probably are receiving the signal, it just isn't displaying for some reason. The DTV receivers "signal strength" meter isn't really a strength meter. It is a combination of signal strength/bit error rate meter. You can have a 100 signal and the meter will show 0 if it isn't decoding the data. It is misleading. I would suspect you have so much ghosting (or multipath as we engineers like to call it) that the receiver is not able to pick up enough usable data. You might need to go with either less signal (since more makes whatever ghosting you have worse) or you will need more signal by using a preamplifier on your antenna or if you are using an indoor antenna, you may need to go to an outdoor antenna to either receive more usable signal or reduce ghosting that might be in your house.

post #60 of 2580 Old 08-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well, it could be something like multipath I'm sure, but it would be the only one. Looks like I would have a problem with PBS is that was the case, but who knows.

The antenna is outside with a pre-amp. The manager said he would forward my mail to the engineer. Personally, though I don't know how exact directing the signal can be, I think it could be its not directed low down toward the coast at this time. When they were low power I assume the were just trying to cover Wilmington.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if the engineer saids anything or until they actually go HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page