Wilmington, NC - HDTV - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #2521 of 2633 Old 01-09-2020, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
ILM Ray,

Do you know of any plans for another channel on 26 to take the place of ThisTV?
Yes, I am not at liberty to discuss, but WSFX will be adding a new channel. It should happen soon. It will not happen until after the Superbowl which is on Fox this year.

Ray
jspENC likes this.

The comments expressed are mine, and mine only. I in no way speak for my employer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2633 Old 01-09-2020, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Before I had an antenna. I like this logo.

post #2523 of 2633 Old 01-09-2020, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I always liked the “Superfox” name. IIRC back then Myrtle and Lumberton used WECT as an NBC affiliate. Florence got WIS/Columbia. Before WMBF came into existence.
jspENC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2524 of 2633 Old 01-10-2020, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I called WSFX and the lady I spoke to said its the new channel will be Court TV. She said she's pretty sure anyway. We already have that on channel 6.5 in Wilmington. So if she is right, we'll have another duplicate channel. That what you got sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMRay View Post
Yes, I am not at liberty to discuss, but WSFX will be adding a new channel. It should happen soon. It will not happen until after the Superbowl which is on Fox this year.

Ray
post #2525 of 2633 Old 01-10-2020, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 862
6-5 is Court TV Mystery, formerly known as Escape, which is a separate network from Court TV. (Same ownership though.)

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2526 of 2633 Old 01-10-2020, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone around Wilmington able to still get WTMV ? Cozi, Antenna, Movies! etc. We lost the main channel from Kinston a couple of days ago (WTMH). They shut down the transmitter. The Jacksonville channel 41 has been out for months.
post #2527 of 2633 Old 01-10-2020, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Any chance WTMV changed the channel they were broadcasting on? The main channels in the Wilmington area are changing Tuesday at 1 am.

I'm too far from WTMV to have ever gotten a signal from them, but I wish i could get it.

regards
post #2528 of 2633 Old 01-11-2020, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr3us View Post
Any chance WTMV changed the channel they were broadcasting on? The main channels in the Wilmington area are changing Tuesday at 1 am.

I'm too far from WTMV to have ever gotten a signal from them, but I wish i could get it.

regards
Hello all,

The thread originator is back and OTA is on my mind.

After exploring YoutubeTV for 30 days it is not going to work for me. I loathe the layout and lack of DVR options, I have been with directv ( technically still am) for 20 years ...at least for a few more days. Due to storm concerns, I removed the OTA antenna that was suspended 10 ft above the 22ft roofline. I just worried about it too much, and that was the end of OTA over 5-6 years ago. In the last 30 days I picked up a Lifetime tivo ota/cable box for a very very good price and have it all active on my account.
Equipment:
I have the following equipment available to use:
Mohu Leaf (amplified via usb adapter)
Mohu smaller leaf jr i think (came with a tivo box from seller)
Zenith Silver Sensor mini yagi style antenna
Tivo OTA Roamio box: 4 CH ota tuner
Tivo Cable Box: I am planning to run 6 cable tuners as well

Location: Right near ashley hs / going towards CB, I can hear the marching bands in the evening during football season.
I have the Mohu Leaf taped in the back window on the outter wall of the living room. I am not getting more than 50-62 signa strength with peaking at 72. But it gets a lot of drops. So it hovers between 52-55 usually.

I dont get PBS at all i realize its a different direction completely
I get 3-1,3-2,3-3 etc the best of them all. 6-1 and subs are kind of spotty, Fox is better but also a little spotty.

Generally can i select a better option for indoor for now for an omni-directional. The MOHU does not seem to be doing that great.

Silver Sensor better option maybe ( mini yagi).
After pulling down the double bowtie a few years ago I tossed the rotator as it was pretty weathered and rusted out. Just didnt need it laying around.

I will not be using my directv dish much longer. Any decent options for attaching an antenna on the dish or the mast with a ubolt or something maybe. My neighbor has a pole mount right on the front right side of his house, but my other neighbor has a very large tree right where I would put an antenna to tap into the coax system in the house on my right side.

Any ideas or feedback welcomed. I would like to run 1 OTA tuner box if anything for a backup with cable goes out. I still have to put in my order for cable / cable card with Spectrum. Never a fun trip to the spectrum store I am sure. Its always crowded from what people say.

Any other TIVO OTA users out here still?

My first OTA digital experience was with a MYHD tuner card and an HTPC, my most recent was with the DirecTV AM21 tuner addons. My current experience is with Tivo OTA 4 Tuner Box
post #2529 of 2633 Old 01-12-2020, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why not just get a good directional UHF antenna and put it near the ground outside? I can get the Wilmington channels from Jacksonville at 10 - 15 ft above ground, so you should be able to. When a hurricane is coming, I bring my setup down. Of course it is getting to be every year now, but I enjoy antenna tv too much to not put it back up near 30 ft.

I can get the Wilmington PBS 39 (real 21) at 65- 70% now, since they raised power and changed channels. Also WTMH is off which was also broadcasting on 21.
post #2530 of 2633 Old 01-12-2020, 10:36 AM

nc88keyz,

You should visit the site. https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

That will tell you what kind of signals you are getting for your particular location

Regards.
post #2531 of 2633 Old 01-13-2020, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post
I have the Mohu Leaf taped in the back window on the outter wall of the living room. I am not getting more than 50-62 signa strength with peaking at 72. But it gets a lot of drops. So it hovers between 52-55 usually.
My experience with an indoor antenna is that moving it even an inch can cause a big difference. In one spot it picks up WILM but not WILT, an inch or two to the right it picks up WILT but not WILM. The only thing I found that worked was to set up a TV set that had signal-level displays where I could see it while moving the antenna around. I'd set the TV for one difficult channel, and see which spots worked for that channel. Then I'd switch to another difficult channel, and see which spots worked for that one. When I found a couple of spots that worked for both, I checked the signal levels on the big stations to pick one.

I just had an outdoor antenna put in, and even with it pointed straight at the Delco tower (WUNJ showing a 93-98 level!), I don't get a detectable signal from WILM. But my indoor antenna gets a solid signal from WILM, because I positioned it specifically for WILM. I do, however, get an almost usable signal from WILT, which is pretty much 90 degrees off the side. So whenever I can get a long enough ladder, I'm going to reaim the outdoor antenna to try to get a good signal off of WILT without compromising WUNJ too badly.

The optimum antenna location makes no sense to me. It's not something that I could puzzle out ahead of time. Experimentation is absolutely necessary.

A final note on experimentation: be prepared to do it again if needed. When I was placing my indoor antenna the first time, I was getting weird results -- including multiple Charleston TV stations. Apparently there was some ducting going on. And when we put in the outdoor antenna, I was getting WTMV, but now I'm not (I'm in the Sunset Park area, over by the ports).

Quote:
I dont get PBS at all i realize its a different direction completely
The Mohu Leaf is omnidirectional. The antenna doesn't care which way the signal comes in. However, as noted above, antenna location makes a huge difference.

Quote:
I will not be using my directv dish much longer. Any decent options for attaching an antenna on the dish or the mast with a ubolt or something maybe.
If the mounting pole is usable, sure. I imagine that most any outdoor antenna will go right on there. I had Dish TV install my outdoor antenna, and they use the Televes Dinova (aka Diginova) BOSS amplified antenna. They installed the same support pole they'd use for the dish, but put the Televes on there instead.
post #2532 of 2633 Old 01-13-2020, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 275
[quote=Doug Pardee;59093628]My experience with an indoor antenna is that moving it even an inch can cause a big difference.

I just had an outdoor antenna put in, and even with it pointed straight at the Delco tower (WUNJ showing a 93-98 level!), I don't get a detectable signal. Experimentation is absolutely necessary.

The Mohu Leaf is omnidirectional. The antenna doesn't care which way the signal comes in. However, as noted above, antenna location makes a huge difference.

For indoor or outdoor antennas, I have found the Antop 800SBS model to be a strong, reliable performer. It has an indoor stand, LTE filter, and built in preamp with adjustable gain and dual outputs. And detachable VHF dipoles. Also the various Clearstream antennas from Antennas Direct are strong performers in a compact size, and can be used indoors or outside, and you can add a preamp to increase performance. The Clearstream 4MAX is bidirectional, while the Clearstream 4V has a reflector screen. And there is a new version of the 2MAX sold at Walmart, but you have to order the indoor stand separately. But these are my general observations not specific to your location. In some cases a stronger High VHF antenna may be needed.

Last edited by tylerSC; 01-13-2020 at 04:11 PM.
post #2533 of 2633 Old 01-13-2020, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you are not picking up WTMV, I can confirm it is on the air. Channel 35 real. 29x's virtual. I am watching it. Also picking up Azteca HD on WQDH 18 real. dot 2 and 3 have commercials. Dot 4 has color bars.
post #2534 of 2633 Old 01-14-2020, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Can anyone confirm that WWAY, WECT, and WSFX moved overnight as scheduled?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2535 of 2633 Old 01-14-2020, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Can anyone confirm that WWAY, WECT, and WSFX moved overnight as scheduled?

- Trip

Yes, and they come in a little stronger too, mainly WECT. It is nearly maxed out on two TV's and is maxed out on an Insignia.
Trip in VA likes this.
post #2536 of 2633 Old 01-14-2020, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
Yes, and they come in a little stronger too, mainly WECT. It is nearly maxed out on two TV's and is maxed out on an Insignia.
My signal levels at 68 miles away seem to be about the same as before, but I do agree... WECT is now a little bit stronger than WWAY for me as well.
jspENC likes this.
post #2537 of 2633 Old 01-14-2020, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

mans147

Our signals being the same or better is interesting, since I just read reports of people around the tower saying they can't hardly get a picture, or they get nothing. I think they are getting overload if anything on a cheap amplified antenna, or are amplifying an outdoor setup that doesn't need it.
post #2538 of 2633 Old 01-14-2020, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
WECT and WWAY normally have a medium, but solid signal for me. WSFX signal is hit or miss, especially during the day. So far, all is relatively unchanged for me. I am very pleased that I am still able to receive the Wilmington stations about the same as before. I was very worried that I might lose them after the switch. I realize that 68 miles is quite a stretch.
post #2539 of 2633 Old 01-14-2020, 06:17 PM

If you have a TIVO the guide is all jacked up after your rescan for WSFX, WECT, and WWAY

Also WTMV and WPXU have the wrong frequencies listed

Reported this to them so hopefully they get it cleaned up sooner than later
post #2540 of 2633 Old 01-15-2020, 04:40 AM

Well it appears we are going to have yet another duplicate channel here in Wilmington. WSFX has a screenshot up saying CourtTV Mystery will be on the air on January 16. That will take the spot vacated by This TV. I get 40 channels at my house. Sounds like a lot right? But almost half are duplicates, then we have 3 shopping channels, 2 cartoon channels for the kids, a Spanish channel and 2 infomercial channels. Arent there other choices than getting a station that's already in Wilmington? How about the Comet channel? That's on WCTI out of New Bern.

Speaking of WCTI, where have them channels gone? A couple months ago I could pull them in. Especially at night, but not anymore. Did they move to another tower?
post #2541 of 2633 Old 01-15-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbritt2112 View Post
Well it appears we are going to have yet another duplicate channel here in Wilmington. WSFX has a screenshot up saying CourtTV Mystery will be on the air on January 16. That will take the spot vacated by This TV. I get 40 channels at my house. Sounds like a lot right? But almost half are duplicates, then we have 3 shopping channels, 2 cartoon channels for the kids, a Spanish channel and 2 infomercial channels. Arent there other choices than getting a station that's already in Wilmington? How about the Comet channel? That's on WCTI out of New Bern.

Speaking of WCTI, where have them channels gone? A couple months ago I could pull them in. Especially at night, but not anymore. Did they move to another tower?
Hi,

WSFX .2 will be airing Court TV. Court TV Mystery is on WECT .5. It used to be called Escape. These are two different channels. Court TV televises live and recorded high profile trials.

Also, I would interested to hear any signal reports. As you all know WECT, WSFX, and WWAY moved to our new channels with new transmission equipment Tuesday morning.

Ray
Chief Engineer
WECT-WSFX

The comments expressed are mine, and mine only. I in no way speak for my employer.
post #2542 of 2633 Old 01-15-2020, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

ILMRay,

I went to another location a few blocks from my house that has a Winegard Prostar 1000 HD7010 yagi VHF/UHF combo on it about 15 ft off the ground with no amp on it hooked to a Phillips TV, and it was getting a better signal than before the change on WWAY. WECT and WSFX were unchanged, but all three channels have the same strength. The TV has a color signal bar from red, yellow, green and blue being the best. All three channels had green bars.

tbritt2112,

WCTI may be at reduced power. I am maxed out here, but I am only 20 miles from the tower. They have been working on that tower for WYDO and WUNM over the last several weeks.
post #2543 of 2633 Old 01-15-2020, 07:04 AM

Well thats good news. The logo on the screenshot is the same as CourtTV Mystery and thats what threw me. Thanks for that info.
post #2544 of 2633 Old 01-15-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Well thats good news. The logo on the screenshot is the same as CourtTV Mystery and thats what threw me. Thanks for that info.
Thanks for the reports guys. I can see how Court TV and Court TV Mystery can be confusing.. When we get things cleaned up at the transmitter site I will post some pictures of the new transmitters. As an old salt these look more like computer servers than TV transmitters, but they do produce a clean data stream.

Ray
Retspin likes this.

post #2545 of 2633 Old 01-15-2020, 09:00 AM

Signal strength since the rescan, Im getting 4 out of 5 bars for wway and wect. Im getting 3 for wsfx. Just a tick weaker than before. I live off Oleander Drive close to wrightsville beach.
post #2546 of 2633 Old 01-16-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Signal strength since the rescan, Im getting 4 out of 5 bars for wway and wect. Im getting 3 for wsfx. Just a tick weaker than before. I live off Oleander Drive close to wrightsville beach.
Thanks! Good to know.

Ray

post #2547 of 2633 Old 01-16-2020, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt2k3 View Post
If you have a TIVO the guide is all jacked up after your rescan for WSFX, WECT, and WWAY

Also WTMV and WPXU have the wrong frequencies listed

Reported this to them so hopefully they get it cleaned up sooner than later
I did as well using the form. the really screwed this repack up. Tivo you had one job and you failed... that was to map the guide data to the new channels proactively so that when the rescan occured you didnt turn your 4 tuner digital dvr into a VCR from 1992 with a timer function! oh wait we still have Tivo+. lmao!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #2548 of 2633 Old 01-16-2020, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post
I did as well using the form. the really screwed this repack up. Tivo you had one job and you failed... that was to map the guide data to the new channels proactively so that when the rescan occured you didnt turn your 4 tuner digital dvr into a VCR from 1992 with a timer function! oh wait we still have Tivo+. lmao!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Tivo guide in our DMA is corrected. I sent them a pretty rough email last night:

All OTA channels affected by the FCC mandatory repack are missing guide data. They have all been rescanned, I have forced a network call to update, and rebooted the box. They all appeared in the guide in duplicate with their original mapped channels with an asterisk once scanned in. The guide data is blank for all these channels. You cant even click manual record essentially rendering dvr function useless for TIVO OTA users. Affected channels are the following, 3-1WWAYABC, 3-2 WWAYCBS, 3-3 WWAYCW, 6-1 WECT DT, 6-2 Bounce, 6-3 Circle, 6-4 LAFF, 6-5 Escape, 26.-2 THIS TV, 26-3 GRIT, 26-4 ION, The only station (s) that have guide data are 39-1 and subchannels and 24-1 and subchannels as they were not affected by the repack. This is a pretty critical issue for tivo subs in these markets and should be addressed with the utmost priority as it renders DVR useless. Everyone had notification that this was going to happen per the FCC and Affiliates. Why did Tivo get this wrong! Certainly this is not the first time something like this has happened where a channel switches broadcast frequency. It appears that manual recording is available but I didn't invest in a VCR , i invested in a Tivo for over the air and that is who I have paid to provide me with a functional dvr complete with guide data for my DMA.

My guess it was already ticketed to be corrected almost immediately after noticed, but it didn't hurt to push some more.
post #2549 of 2633 Old 01-16-2020, 09:37 AM

In Ocean Isle Beach, channel 6 and 26 look good signal wise, with signal quality running 98% or over.

Channel 3 is showing 85% signal quality currently.

I am using Silicon Dust HDHR4-2US tuners for the measurements above.

All of the above channels display just fine.

Regards!

Jay
post #2550 of 2633 Old 01-16-2020, 09:39 AM

ILMRay,

It is too bad you have no pull over WILM TV... :-) For my location they still stink when we have tropospheric problems letting the Raleigh channel 15(real) clobber WILM here on Ocean Isle beach.

Would ( or do ) people that are east or west of WILM lose signal frequently due to the tropo effects?

Regards!

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page