Providence, RI - HDTV - Page 139 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #4141 of 4146 Old 12-18-2019, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasjohnny View Post
I am currently receiving a more reliable signal from WUTF at 39 air miles away than I am of WSBE at 9 air miles away. WSBE was coming in ok until we had a few drops of rain. The rain has stopped and now WSBE still isn't coming in. I think their new signal is so weak that it can't even penetrate mist. A WSBE engineer told me that they are only operating on 85 percent power right now because they are waiting on a part to come in by January so they can operate on full power. I sure hope that part comes in soon. It's ridiculous that I am having so much trouble with the closest signal to my house.
Remember, even minor interference can cause an ATSC 1.0 signal on the VHF-Lo band not to decode. I've heard of everything from microwave ovens to LED street lights causing dropouts. I just hope you're using an effective VHF-Lo antenna. BTW, a set of rabbit ears should do the trick at your distance if there are no obstructions and no interference as described above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4146 Old 12-18-2019, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tonight I added about a 3 foot long piece of aluminum foil to one of the Dipoles on my indoor antenna and now I'm getting the station again. I can't believe that 1960's technique worked, but whatever. As long as I can get the signal until they manage to fix it the best they can.
Brian in CT likes this.
post #4143 of 4146 Old 12-20-2019, 01:53 PM

Tin foil trick only worked temporarily. I'm pretty much giving up on WSBE for now. I literally spent three hours yesterday trying to get the signal back and it's just not worth the effort I'm putting in for a station I don't watch much anyway. My equipment works perfect. I can't make it fix their imperfect signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4144 of 4146 Old 12-20-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasjohnny View Post
Tin foil trick only worked temporarily. I'm pretty much giving up on WSBE for now. I literally spent three hours yesterday trying to get the signal back and it's just not worth the effort I'm putting in for a station I don't watch much anyway. My equipment works perfect. I can't make it fix their imperfect signal.
The bottom line - WSBE, like WGBH, decided the $$ received for moving to the VHF low band was more valuable to them for other purposes - than the viewers they lost.

WSBE might be off the air, or at reduced power at times, since they do have posted on their site that testing may continue into January.
post #4145 of 4146 Old 12-27-2019, 11:57 PM

Last night I hung a wire coat hanger to one of the dipoles and got the station back. However the SNR number is only about 17 or 18. You need at least 16 for a picture. So I have about the bare minimum possible to even see the station. Oh well. At least it worked. Let's hope it works for longer than a couple of days.
post #4146 of 4146 Old 01-13-2020, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Wlne

WLNE, which is still running only 200 kW, rather than the 465 kW they are licensed for, applied today to extend their construction permit until July 15. This application suggests that they may not be able to use the full 465 kW. The unmentioned station they share the antenna with is WJAR, which also owns the tower. WJAR is running it's full licensed power of 1000 kW. It would be interesting to know who made the serious error that resulted in this....

In making its transition to Channel 24, WLNE learned that it would not be able to operate
on the new facility as built at the full ERP authorized by WLNE’s construction permit due to the
ERP of the co-located station and the constraints of the shared antenna.

Following discussions with the co-located station, WLNE believes that it will soon be
able to increase its ERP. The precise extent of the increase has yet to be determined, as WLNE
continues to evaluate the costs and time required to implement modifications contemplated under
two potential solutions.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...6f90428c502fd3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page