Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV - Page 193 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #5761 of 5782 Old 04-13-2019, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 4199
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21hawk View Post
Regardless, it may be a while, but 2020 elections would most definitely be more lucrative with the targeted advertising that 3.0 makes possible. Just..saying
You might want to push that down a couple of election cycles. Highly doubt there'll be enough ATSC 3.0 tuners in place a year from now to sell targeted ads ON. Gonna need significant penetration before it's sellable.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 5782 Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
You might want to push that down a couple of election cycles. Highly doubt there'll be enough ATSC 3.0 tuners in place a year from now to sell targeted ads ON. Gonna need significant penetration before it's sellable.
I bet my old school channel master box will do the same if not better in this old SCHOOL
technology ? New old.And why do you think just before the repacking of BROADCASTING channel's why like channel master and other manufacturers discontinued the best ATSC.
box and channel master ATSC testing of it and played with it for year's and the person
Hoo designed it for channel master was a Ham radio operator.

Last edited by Hdb91xg; 04-24-2019 at 08:13 AM.
post #5763 of 5782 Old 06-13-2019, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just in case anyone is using an HDHomerun device, they have a beta channel for Roku available.

https://www.silicondust.com/introduc...for-roku-beta/
justpushplay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5764 of 5782 Old 06-14-2019, 02:44 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Just in case anyone is using an HDHomerun device, they have a beta channel for Roku available.

https://www.silicondust.com/introduc...for-roku-beta/

You beat me to it! I installed it last night when Silicon Dust pushed the announcement to me about 7PM. So far so good, the only 'problem' I encountered was when one of the Roku 4k sticks didn't have audio and HDMI set to 'auto detect'. I've been using Emby server (after giving up on Plex) on a MacMini for streaming the OTA antenna to all of our devices, but this is nice when you just want to go direct to the antenna without going through Emby. Sometimes simplicity wins:-)
post #5765 of 5782 Old 06-15-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpushplay View Post

You beat me to it! I installed it last night when Silicon Dust pushed the announcement to me about 7PM. So far so good, the only 'problem' I encountered was when one of the Roku 4k sticks didn't have audio and HDMI set to 'auto detect'. I've been using Emby server (after giving up on Plex) on a MacMini for streaming the OTA antenna to all of our devices, but this is nice when you just want to go direct to the antenna without going through Emby. Sometimes simplicity wins:-)
Yes, unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to push to my players. Forced updates and all other troubleshooting, we think we may have identified the problem though, so maybe soon.
post #5766 of 5782 Old 06-15-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to push to my players. Forced updates and all other troubleshooting, we think we may have identified the problem though, so maybe soon.
One thing I have noticed about the app is that it seems very susceptible to multipath issues. In it's defense, multipath here is THE problem since I get all of my OTA from a reflection off a nearby ridge. I think Emby tends to buffer the data from the Homerun tuner and try to work the problem, whereas the app just quits to the Roku homescreen. The Emby/HD Homerun combo handles multipath better than the Tivo Roamio OTA, but the Tivo never gives up, whereas the Emby/Homerun combo sometimes gets pissed off and quits:-) To be fair, this is a very difficult location for OTA, in fact I'm amazed I get anything at all.
post #5767 of 5782 Old 06-15-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
]
One thing I have noticed about the app is that it seems very susceptible to multipath issues. In it's defense, multipath here is THE problem since I get all of my OTA from a reflection off a nearby ridge. I think Emby tends to buffer the data from the Homerun tuner and try to work the problem, whereas the app just quits to the Roku homescreen. The Emby/HD Homerun combo handles multipath better than the Tivo Roamio OTA, but the Tivo never gives up, whereas the Emby/Homerun combo sometimes gets pissed off and quits:-) To be fair, this is a very difficult location for OTA, in fact I'm amazed I get anything at all.
I am blessed and cursed that I live high on a ridge, my attic antenna gets of course the Springfield locals from Fordland, but also KNWA at 100 signal, 56 miles away, and the new KSNF and KODE signals from Joplin are strong as well. My problem is channel interference, 22 in Eureka Springs and 17 in Branson cause me to have issues as well as 15 and 25 from downtown Springfield. Once the Gray channels move to 24 and 34, I might be able to pull in KXNW. I am hesitant to put antenna on mast and wind up with even more interference.
post #5768 of 5782 Old 07-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
KNWA is on 33 now, at a lower power thanks to an extension, now have until October to complete transition.
According to KNWA, shortly after they moved from 50 to 33, "the new antenna failed" (their words). The are temporarily on a lower height/low power AUX antenna, until repairs are made to the regular full power antenna at the top of the tower. They said they hope to be at full height & power by the end of July.

As for KRBK, will they ever extend coverage to all of Carroll County, Ark.? If not, they should just add FOX to a sub-channel of KOZL and be done with it.
post #5769 of 5782 Old 07-05-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
According to KNWA, shortly after they moved from 50 to 33, "the new antenna failed" (their words). The are temporarily on a lower height/low power AUX antenna, until repairs are made to the regular full power antenna at the top of the tower. They said they hope to be at full height & power by the end of July.

As for KRBK, will they ever extend coverage to all of Carroll County, Ark.? If not, they should just add FOX to a sub-channel of KOZL and be done with it.

What a great time for them to be stuck at reduced power. AT&T/DirecTV has taken them off the channel lineup due to a contract dispute. Between this and the shenanigans at KRBK, FOX is losing a lot of viewers just from incompetence alone.

Yeah, I'm whiny, but jeez, c'mon!
post #5770 of 5782 Old 07-05-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
What a great time for them to be stuck at reduced power. AT&T/DirecTV has taken them off the channel lineup due to a contract dispute. Between this and the shenanigans at KRBK, FOX is losing a lot of viewers just from incompetence alone.
The DirecTV debacle & KNWA (NBC/FOX) tower situation is exactly why I checked this thread, hoping to see if there were any updates to KRBK.

I guess with sagging viewership/advertising revenue, Nex$tar is trying to milk more money out of carriage agreements. I don't blame AT&T U-verse/DirecTV not wanting to give them any more money for stations that are being watched by fewer & fewer subscribers. They're already leaving in droves for OTA+streaming services, due to the high cost of linear cable/sat service.
post #5771 of 5782 Old 07-05-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
The DirecTV debacle & KNWA (NBC/FOX) They're already leaving in droves for OTA+streaming services, due to the high cost of linear cable/sat service.

I'm sure KNWA is enjoying the cost savings of running at reduced power. But eventually lost advertising revenue will remind them to work on actually serving the public good by covering their DMA.
post #5772 of 5782 Old 07-05-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:

I believe your issue is most likely being caused by interference from a low power station in Eureka Springs that is still broadcasting on 22. It messes with my signal here 17 miles from KRBK transmitter. My KRBK signal strength is 100 but Noise and Quality suffer. In high Tropo I sometimes lose my KRBK signal all together. You might want to contact KRBK engineering and let them know, although I am not sure there is much they can do. The low power station referenced has until 2021 to vacate.
post #5773 of 5782 Old 07-05-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingersoll View Post
Once again KOAM and KFJX applied for an increase in power. KOAM applied for 98.8 kw E.R.P. and KFJX for 45.1 kw E.R.P. and I hope they are granted the power increases.

Is there any chance of Joplin or Pittsburg getting a CW affiliate?
Looks like KOAM got their power increase granted. I haven't seen KJFX approval.
post #5774 of 5782 Old 07-05-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Wait, is K22HS-D still on the air?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Last edited by Trip in VA; 07-05-2019 at 03:36 PM.
post #5775 of 5782 Old 07-05-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
The low power station referenced has until 2021 to vacate.
That's where my shenanigans comment came from:-) Sometimes I get frustrated that the repack has been such a cluster*uc*. I find it staggering that the FCC didn't have a more engineering oriented approach. (Sorry Trip, nothing personal:-) I've lost three stations and two networks since this started. One is KOZK-PBS, which of course was a tower failure. But I'm sure the repack has caused issues for them in getting tower crew in. BTW, is K22HS-D actually carrying programming, or is it just a slate?

Last edited by justpushplay; 07-05-2019 at 03:57 PM.
post #5776 of 5782 Old 07-05-2019, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Looks like KOAM got their power increase granted. I haven't seen KJFX approval.

I am certainly happy about that. I hope the same does happen for KFJX.

I wonder how long it will take for them to increase their power.
post #5777 of 5782 Old 07-05-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
That's where my shenanigans comment came from:-) Sometimes I get frustrated that the repack has been such a cluster*uc*. I find it staggering that the FCC didn't have a more engineering oriented approach. (Sorry Trip, nothing personal:-) I've lost three stations and two networks since this started.
I'm not sure I follow. LPTVs that cause excessive interference are supposed to vacate when the full-power station takes the channel. What stations, aside from KOZK, have you lost? I'm sure there's an explanation.

Quote:
One is KOZK-PBS, which of course was a tower failure. But I'm sure the repack has caused issues for them in getting tower crew in.
KOZK wouldn't have had a tower failure if not for the repack. But, of course, the repack is paying for KOZK's new equipment, which was probably nearing end of life. While a headache, it is probably a good thing over the long run for stations on a very low budget like local PBS stations.

Quote:
BTW, is K22HS-D actually carrying programming, or is it just a slate?
If someone can confirm that K22HS-D is on the air, I would appreciate it.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #5778 of 5782 Old 07-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip
I live way to far north to be able to say for sure, but I am almost certain I have gotten a lock on it during a very high tropo event a few.months ago. I lost KRBK at the same time. Normally, I just get reduced signal.quality compared to other stations on that tower. I know that KRBK has had trouble with a Columbia MO channel causing issues for people north of SGF as well. Since KSNF switched to 17, the LP 17 out of Branson has caused issues as well. I think there is a 17 in Marshfield that got reassigned , not sure if it is still broadcasting.
post #5779 of 5782 Old 08-04-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Trip, I live about 4 miles from the K22HS transmitter and can see the tower. Thankfully, they have gone dark.
Back in the early days of digital broadcasts, they were forced off of RF 18 to RF 22, due to interference with KFSM (CBS) RF 18. I complained to them, KFSM and the FCC at the time, and they moved to RF 22. After getting displaced again, I guess they got tired of jumping channels. I'm glad they are gone, as there was usually nothing being broadcast except a placeholder or "searching for satellite signal" onscreen.
post #5780 of 5782 Old 08-08-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Trip, I live about 4 miles from the K22HS transmitter and can see the tower. Thankfully, they have gone dark.
Back in the early days of digital broadcasts, they were forced off of RF 18 to RF 22, due to interference with KFSM (CBS) RF 18. I complained to them, KFSM and the FCC at the time, and they moved to RF 22. After getting displaced again, I guess they got tired of jumping channels. I'm glad they are gone, as there was usually nothing being broadcast except a placeholder or "searching for satellite signal" onscreen.

Thanks for the confirmation. They hold a permit to displace to 12, and have yet to tell the FCC they're off the air. But hopefully that rules out one interference source for KRBK.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #5781 of 5782 Old 08-09-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:

That's good to hear, that might help some people with KRBK reception. Unfortunately, KRBK is still unavailable here. Now I'll just keep my fingers crossed that a power increase for KOZK PBS will return them to my lineup.

EDIT: Also still waiting for KNWA to return to full power.
post #5782 of 5782 Old 08-09-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
That's good to hear, that might help some people with KRBK reception. Unfortunately, KRBK is still unavailable here. Now I'll just keep my fingers crossed that a power increase for KOZK PBS will return them to my lineup.

EDIT: Also still waiting for KNWA to return to full power.
OPT PBS Just recently done a power increase

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception