Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV - Page 195 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #5821 of 5839 Old 10-31-2019, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
Not sure what else to try, other than re-doing your antenna setup. But if you're getting KOZK just fine, which is low power right now, it's probably something in your vicinity that's interfering with RF channel 22, and not your setup. That was certainly the case here in NW Ark., until low power station K22HS went off the air. KRBK now comes in like gangbusters where I live. And I cannot get KOZK at all.

My thanks to all of you for your input. I never dreamed it would be this hard to solve. Getting ready to order a new antenna. I will let you know the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5822 of 5839 Old 11-01-2019, 11:05 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #5823 of 5839 Old 11-01-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 703
The last time I saw something that slanted, I was pushing a wheelchair up it.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5824 of 5839 Old 11-01-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
My thanks to all of you for your input. I never dreamed it would be this hard to solve. Getting ready to order a new antenna. I will let you know the results.

I've got an 91xg you could try before you spend money on a new one. It's an attic brat, so it's in new condition. How far from Springfield are you? Maybe we could meet halfway?

https://store.antennasdirect.com/91X...V-Antenna.html
post #5825 of 5839 Old 11-01-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The last time I saw something that slanted, I was pushing a wheelchair up it.

- Trip
Ouch! Good one!

I found it interesting because of the recent announcement that phase 5 was 'complete'.

"As defined by Meintel, a fully successful repack means that a station met its repack deadline fully, is licensed according to the terms of its construction permit, and is providing service comparable to what was offered on its original channel prior to the repack—in other words, no STAs."

KNWA, I'm looking at you.
post #5826 of 5839 Old 11-01-2019, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpushplay View Post
...KNWA, I'm looking at you.
True, dat.
Same for KXNW.
post #5827 of 5839 Old 11-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
True, dat.
Same for KXNW.

And KOZK:-)
post #5828 of 5839 Old 11-03-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpushplay View Post
I've got an 91xg you could try before you spend money on a new one. It's an attic brat, so it's in new condition. How far from Springfield are you? Maybe we could meet halfway?

https://store.antennasdirect.com/91X...V-Antenna.html

JustPushPlay, thank you so much for the GENEROUS offer! I have already ordered an antenna which has shipped.
post #5829 of 5839 Old 11-07-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Thank you for responding! I had a second phone conversation with a KRBK support person this afternoon. I asked him about the possibility of interference from Columbia. He did not disregard the possibility, but he made a good point that potential interference should be generating multiple calls. I am the only person in many weeks who has called stating that there is no reception.

I just was reading this topic thread about KRBK reception issues. I hadn't been on here for over a week, otherwise I would have posted a comment sooner.

KQFX 22 Columbia needs to be removed from the *interference* discussion, as they have been off the air for about a month now, due to tower structural issues. The Fox programming is currently being broadcast on sister station KMIZ 17 in the Columbia/Jefferson City market. KQFX is currently under a Request for Silence STA, which was granted July 29, 2019 and covers the period to January 29, 2020. During this time, they are completing tower reconstruction.

I believe other posters have presented suggestions on what might be causing interference.

Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.
post #5830 of 5839 Old 11-08-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I went back to 2017 in the forum and came forward. I saw some posts about being unable to to receive KRBK. Then I noticed postings that KRBK was being received.

I have done everything I know to do, but I show NO signal available for KRBK. Channels 3, 10, 21, 27, and 33 plus all sub-channels are fine.

My location can be visualized by going to the imaginary border of Greene County Missouri and then extending that imaginary line due west approximately 5 miles into Dade County. I am located on one of the highest points in the county.

I saw comments about interference from Columbia MO. Am I in a twilight zone being affected by that? I would most humbly appreciate any help you could offer. I called KRBK, and although I was shown kindness and empathy, they weren't much help. It was very puzzling to them that every other local station was being received clearly with plenty of signal. THANKS in advance!

A new antenna installation this morning solved my problems with KRBK. I assume there was just a bit too much corrosion somewhere on the old antenna. Thanks for all the help and responses!!
post #5831 of 5839 Old 11-08-2019, 05:45 PM

Glad you got it working.
Out of curiosity, what antenna did you buy?
Did you replace the coax and/or preamp?
post #5832 of 5839 Old 11-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Glad you got it working.
Out of curiosity, what antenna did you buy?
Did you replace the coax and/or preamp?

I went with channelmaster's 100-mile rated antenna. I did not replace any coax or the preamp.
post #5833 of 5839 Old 11-11-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I went with channelmaster's 100-mile rated antenna...
If you got the CM Advantage100 or Masterpiece100, you really didn't need an antenna with those really long elements on the rear of it. Those are for lowband VHF, which is not used in most markets any more, including Springfield. The long elements could be used for FM though, if you use an antenna for that.
post #5834 of 5839 Old 11-11-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
If you got the CM Advantage100 or Masterpiece100, you really didn't need an antenna with those really long elements on the rear of it. Those are for lowband VHF, which is not used in most markets any more, including Springfield. The long elements could be used for FM though, if you use an antenna for that.

Maybe McGeezer wants to do some low VHF Eskip dxing next summer I have a custom build VHF 2-6
that has received KHSV 2 Las Vegas @ 1200 miles several times during the summer skip season over the past couple years. I've received a total of 9 low VHF stations last summer during the summer skip season.

Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.
post #5835 of 5839 Old 11-13-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do use it for FM reception.
post #5836 of 5839 Old 12-04-2019, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradiohead55 View Post
I just was reading this topic thread about KRBK reception issues. I hadn't been on here for over a week, otherwise I would have posted a comment sooner.

KQFX 22 Columbia needs to be removed from the *interference* discussion, as they have been off the air for about a month now, due to tower structural issues. The Fox programming is currently being broadcast on sister station KMIZ 17 in the Columbia/Jefferson City market. KQFX is currently under a Request for Silence STA, which was granted July 29, 2019 and covers the period to January 29, 2020. During this time, they are completing tower reconstruction.

I believe other posters have presented suggestions on what might be causing interference.
KQFX has been back on the air over a month. I would know. I lost KRBK as soon as they went back on the air.
post #5837 of 5839 Old 12-04-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welkin View Post
KQFX has been back on the air over a month. I would know. I lost KRBK as soon as they went back on the air.

Welkin, where in Missouri are you located?

I received an email from KMIZ/KQFX the day after their signal returned to the air. I was hesitant to post any comments about it on here, because it appears they didn't file any type of forms with the FCC. I see now they updated their broadcast status on November 27th, filing a Resume Operations and a License to Cover on the same day.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

post #5838 of 5839 Old 12-05-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradiohead55 View Post
Welkin, where in Missouri are you located?

I received an email from KMIZ/KQFX the day after their signal returned to the air. I was hesitant to post any comments about it on here, because it appears they didn't file any type of forms with the FCC. I see now they updated their broadcast status on November 27th, filing a Resume Operations and a License to Cover on the same day.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri
I'm in Osage Beach. I was able to receive KRBK before KMIZ/KQFX's new tower was online although the signal was being hammered by KQFX and would cause artifacts. They were supposed to switch to RF 30 at some point, but their tower was deemed structurally unfit. The FCC gave them a waiver to switch to RF30 but they had to cut power from 11kw to 3.2kw. I don't know if they're still in the process of switching or not. I don't know what their power is now, but I can't get KRBK at all now. KRBK was the strongest station I had before they switch to RF22. It's a load of crap I can't receive the only station licensed in the town I live. I've messaged KQFX a few times and they never respond. Should I contact the FCC?
post #5839 of 5839 Old 12-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Here is the contours of KQFX and KRBK. I'm in the black circled "hosed" area.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	2649744  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page