New York, NY - OTA - Page 592 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 581Likes

post #17731 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Yep. They are still on and still showing "cop" programs primarily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17732 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
I purchased a $30 big lo vhf antenna for this one dorky station, installed it in my attic, and combined it to my two outdoor antennas. It makes better sense than most of the people here who buy crappy channel master dvr's and the like who use it with their crappy tube tv's and constantly complain here that doesn't work correctly because they are too old to have an Internet connection. See the irony in your ridiculous statement?

Antennas don't work in my attic. I tried them there and reception took a big hit.

As for you other comments attacking people buying CM DVRS, using them with tube TVs etc made NO sense to me. I am on a lot of AVS forums and most of what you said does not relate to most of the posters. Perhaps you are having a rough day and are really having a hissy fit because you lost 3.1.
post #17733 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 05:56 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17734 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 614
The ATSC regulation or provision that was quoted earlier seems either vague or redundant. It speaks of assigning a unique major channel number to each station, but it later on speaks of making sure that the two-part (virtual) channel numbers are distinct.

Well, if the major channel number (the first part of the two-part virtual channel number) is unique, then all of the subchannels of that station will necessarily have two-part numbers that are distinct from the two-part channel numbers of every subchannel on every other station. So, there would be no need to refer to uniqueness of the two-part numbers if that is already guaranteed by the uniqueness of the major channel numbers.

The only sense that I can make of that provision is to interpret it as saying that major channel numbers should be unique within a DMA, but that two stations from neighboring DMA's might wind up with the same major channel number. In such cases, an effort would be made to assign the second parts of the virtual channel numbers in such a way as to avoid conflicts.

So it does sort of seem reasonable to me that you might have channels 5-1 through 5-3 from one station in a certain DMA and 5-4 from a station in a neighboring DMA, with the two stations perhaps having a small service area overlap. Could that cause confusion among OTA viewers in the overlap area? Maybe, but presumably viewers are smart enough to know which station is "more local" and which is "more distant", especially if the subchannels are all required to do regular station ID announcements that tell the city of license and call letters and perhaps even tell who owns the station.

Now, I do think that WJLP made a mistake in using -10 as the second part of its channel number. Wouldn't 3-9 have worked better with a lot of tuners?

As to the matter of what channel number a station has on a cable system, is the station entitled to have the channel number that is its (virtual) major channel number, or does the regulation say that the RF channel is what it can insist on under must-carry rules?

Last edited by veedon; 11-11-2014 at 06:57 PM.
post #17735 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Their going off the air is temporary. Chill. I would like to know if there is any data on how many viewers they actually had. They may be losing money.
No worries, Len, everything is cool in my camp

Press Communications, LLC is the owner of PMCM TV, LLC., and under the Press ownership, the company is the licensee of at least five Jersey Shore radio stations in both Monmouth and Ocean County, NJ.: WKMK Eatontown; WTHJ Bass River Twp.; WHTG Eatontown; WWZY Long Branch; and WBHX-FM Tuckerton.

Surely positive revenue is being generated from each of these radio stations, which probably helps the company tremendously at this time. Nonetheless, the legal bills being incurred are probably staggering.

Quote:
I am one of those who can not get 3.1 or 3.10 as my VHF antenna is designed only for high VHF and I am not spending money to pick up this station. I also feel that it is wrong for a company to spend it's resources on broadcasting on the low VHF spectrum in light of what has happened the past 6 years unless they are trying to pull a fast one. If they are trying to screw around then I hope they stay off the air for good.
I can appreciate your feelings regarding VHF-Lo, but each time you state them I feel you are somehow not accurately assessing the current state of television broadcasting.

The way I see it, broadcasters and the OTA audience are someday going to find themselves becoming reacclimated with the longer-wave frequencies that once reigned supreme in television's days of infancy. We do not yet know how the spectrum incentive auctions will affect each market, but in the event the auctions result in a significant loss of available TV channels, some broadcasters may face the ultimatum: take VHF-Lo or leave the air altogether. In that case, OTA viewers will likewise face an ultimatum of their own, specifically: Install VHF-Lo antennas or do not watch certain channels.

Before yesterday, the NYC market boasted three VHF-Lo television stations out of the available five: WKOB-LD New York; WJLP Middletown Twp., and WNYZ-LP New York, which only broadcasts an FM signal and transmits no video. The Philadelphia market likewise boasts three VHF-Lo television stations out of the available five: KJWP Wilmington, WACP Atlantic City, and WPVI-TV Philadelphia. In my view, that does not constitute an abandonment of the VHF-Lo band; To the contrary, it demonstrates a rediscovery.
post #17736 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFrancis View Post
article is filled with inaccuracies:

"Mere weeks after Me-TV finally broke into the NY/NJ market"
it's been available in the market for years via WZME

"they were encroaching on territory staked out by ION, a sister station of CBS"
since when was ION a sister station of CBS?

"CBS by pulling this low-class stunt to get rid of a smaller-scale station. CBS, along with Ion and Meredith, has a vested interest in Me-TV being off the air. Me-TV’s lineup of classic series from the past is irresistible."
CBS, ION, and Meredith wouldn't care about this station if it wasn't trying to steal their long time slot on cable systems. ION has been on channel 3 on RCN systems since 1996 and on Cablevision systems since before 2000. Meredith's WFSB has been on channel 3 in Fairfield for decades. I attached a picture from a 1980's cable box with the channel lineup sticker that shows this. Hell yeah these stations will fight to keep their places!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).JPG
Views:	98
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	362713  
post #17737 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 07:00 PM

PMCM TV was not and is not "trying to pull a fast one" The Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982, Section 331(a), the law that the Court interpreted to be in favor to PMCM's position, has been on the books since the early 1980s. The law, to the best of my knowledge, was never successfully appealed or struck down. That law survived several key communications initiatives including, but not limited to: The Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act of 1992, the amendment of that same act in 1994, the Telecommunications Act of 1996, and even the ATSC standards, as amended.

Is the law outdated? From a practical standpoint held in view of today's media environment, yes. But it's perceived obsolescence does not render it unenforceable, as proven by the December 2012 ruling from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.

Perhaps the responsibility for this entire incident ultimately rests with the FCC. Prior to the DTV transition in 2009, the FCC should have ensured that any final DTV Table of Allotments guaranteed a commercial VHF television station was assigned to every state, as per the law.

I cannot and will not purport to speak for PMCM TV, but based upon their pleadings and public statements, I interpret their actions as such: This is a modestly-sized New Jersey-based broadcasting company which discovered that a federal law which provides for enhancing television service in New Jersey and every other state was being ignored specifically in Delaware and New Jersey since June 2009. In order to correct this legal violation, the company purchased two television stations with the intent to relocate them to each state in order to ensure future compliance of the federal law and to enhance television service in each of those respective states. The FCC denied PMCM TV's petitions to do so. But then the FCC created two new allocations in those same states once the their attention was brought to the violations, and subsequently auctioned off those new allocations to Western Pacific Broadcast, LLC. The FCC apparently felt that two new stations whose programming consists almost entirely of infomercials would remedy the situation. PMCM TV disagreed, appealed, and ultimately won in court.

WJLP has been broadcasting on RF channel 3, and nothing indicates they wish to move off of that channel. RF 3 is not a frequency that is in any kind of demand by mobile broadband and cellular providers. As of today, the VHF-Lo band, generally speaking, is the least desired band upon which to hold a digital communications license. RF 3 is also far removed from the FM Radio band, so any expansion thoughts at this point are not even realistic fantasies. For all intents and purposes, the electromagnetic real estate upon which PMCM TV sits in both Middletown Twp. and Wilmington is among the least valued parcels in each of those communities respective markets. Furthermore, by programming these television stations with a network whose genre consists of older TV shows which typically attract an older-skewing audience, the potential value of ad revenue realized from either of these stations is likely poor in comparison to other genres of programming airing on the same stations, including infomercials.

It should be noted, for the sake of accuracy, that WJLP, while it was on the air, did program a three-hour long infomercial block each weekday morning. But that block aired during the 5AM - 8AM block in which viewership, particularly in the NYC market, is typically dominated by morning newscasts.

Now the station has been forced off the air by the FCC, unless they are willing to rebrand their identity and their virtual channel position. Doing so would almost certainly foreclose their right to demand cable/FiOS/satellite carriage on channel 3, despite the fact WJLP transmits on channel 3. It might also place PMCM TV into another battle with other deep-pocketed parties who presently occupy channel 33 on cable systems and might not take too kindly to being ejected from their long-standing channel positions. Those parties might even use the fact that WJLP transmits on channel 3 as reason to object to any attempts at displacement. To defend their position, PMCM TV is likely expending significant sums of money for attorney's fees, filing fees, and other expenses. Meanwhile, the TV station they are fighting for has been pulled off the air by the FCC, thus eclipsing any chance to fund the fight using revenues from the station, which, as I eluded to earlier, are likely less than stellar.

Given these facts, if PMCM TV was or is trying to "pull a fast one" or "screw around", I am at a loss to figure out what it was or is.
post #17738 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Antennas don't work in my attic. I tried them there and reception took a big hit.

As for you other comments attacking people buying CM DVRS, using them with tube TVs etc made NO sense to me. I am on a lot of AVS forums and most of what you said does not relate to most of the posters. Perhaps you are having a rough day and are really having a hissy fit because you lost 3.1.
Attacking? You sound childish. Yet you generalize and say that it doesn't make sense for ANYONE to get this "dorky station". Childish again. Apparently this conversation and the needs of the people from all the Avs forums you visit are way above your understanding.

Hissy fit? More childish crap from you. I was merely pointing out your nonsense that no one should bother trying to receive a lo vhf station because of whatever crap you decide to make up. I haven't posted about them going off, I have other things in my life to worry about. It comes back when it comes back. Yet you had to come here and proclaim that your better off than everyone because you didn't bother with the "dorky station".
post #17739 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
from the asbury park press (wjlp story)

FREEHOLD TOWNSHIP – WJLP, the Jersey Shore's first privately funded broadcast television station that went live on Oct. 1, will stop broadcasting temporarily after the Federal Communications Commission ordered it to abandon Channel 3 or leave the air.

The township-based station had secured carriage on Channel 3 for viewers with an over-the-air antenna and FiOS TV. It aimed to land on Channel 3 for viewers with Blue Ridge, Cablevision, Charter, Comcast, Dish, DirecTV, Service Electric, Sky or Time Warner by early 2015.

WJLP hit a roadblock, however, after WFSB, a Rocky Hill, Connecticut-based news station that also airs on Channel 3 as an affiliate of CBS, filed a complaint with the FCC. WFSB asked that WJLP move to another channel because of concerns that the two stations, both in the New York market, would overlap on the air.

WJLP goes live from Freehold

"Our competitors are worth billions and are working the FCC to substantially weaken a small family owned company or, as in this case, shut us out all together," said Lee Leddy, WJLP's manager, in a news release. "The FCC has been no help, siding with the big guys from the very beginning, even to the point of deliberately misinterpreting the governing rules and laws to support their position."

Court appeal

WJLP appealed to the D.C. Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals on Monday afternoon. The station asked the court to allow it to resume broadcasting temporarily until the realization of a final solution regarding the Channel 3 dispute. It hopes that the court reviews the appeal and makes a decision on Wednesday. WJLP also filed two petitions with the FCC. Should the station fail to prevail in both cases, its fate remains unclear.

"We haven't thought it through that far," said Robert McAllan, a managing partner of PMCM TV LLC, which owns WJLP, and chief executive officer of Press Communications LLC, the Wall-based company that owns PMCM TV. "We are absolutely, positively convinced that we are in the right, that we are going to win either at the commission or in court. If both of those (entities) disagree with us, then obviously we're going to have make a decision about what we're going to do."

Press Communications also owns several radio stations, including Thunder 106.3 and 106.5, 107.1 FM and B98.5. The company once served as the broadcasting arm of the Asbury Park Press, but the pair split after Gannett Co. Inc. bought the newspaper in 1997. PMCM TV, an affiliate of MeTV, the Chicago-based network that airs classic television shows, also owns KJWP, a broadcast television station based in Wilmington, Delaware, where it airs on Channel 2 in the Philadelphia market.

PMCM TV Chairman Jules L. Plangere, Jr., is assited by Kevin Seguin (right), the station's traffic coordinator, in activating the signal Wednesday evening, October, 1, 2014, for WJLP to be broadcast on VHF Channel 3. The station broadcasts ME.tv content and is based in Freehold Township, NJ.PMCM TV Chairman Jules L. Plangere, Jr., is assited by Kevin Seguin (right), the station's traffic coordinator, in activating the signal Wednesday evening, October, 1, 2014, for WJLP to be broadcast on VHF Channel 3. The station broadcasts ME.tv content and is based in Freehold Township, NJ. (Photo: THOMAS P. COSTELLO / Gannett)
Buy Photo Fullscreen
PMCM TV Chairman Jules L. Plangere, Jr., is assited by Kevin Seguin (right), the station's traffic coordinator, in activating the signal Wednesday evening, October, 1, 2014, for WJLP to be broadcast on VHF Channel 3. The station broadcasts ME.tv content and is based in Freehold Township, NJ. PMCM TV Chairman Jules L. Plangere, Jr., smiles after activating the signal Wednesday evening, October, 1, 2014, for WJLP to be broadcast on VHF Channel 3. The station broadcasts ME.tv content and is based in Freehold Township, NJ. PMCM TV is now on the air Wednesday evening, October, 1, 2014, on VHF Channel 3. The station broadcasts ME.tv content and is based in Freehold Township, NJ. PMCM TV Chairman Jules L. Plangere, Jr., is interviewed after activating the signal Wednesday evening, October, 1, 2014, for WJLP to be broadcast on VHF Channel 3. The station boradcasts ME.tv content and is based in Freehold Township, NJ. PMCM TV CEO Robert McAllan is interviewed after the signal was activated Wednesday evening, October, 1, 2014, for WJLP to be broadcast on VHF Channel 3. The station broadcasts ME.tv content and is based in Freehold Township, NJ. A portion of the Me.tv schedule that will be boardcast on PMCM TV's VHF Channel 3. The station is based in Freehold Township, NJ.
Next Slide
PMCM TV employs roughly 35 people at its studios off Route 33 in Freehold Township, a location that the company chose because it sits between the New York and Philadelphia markets. Should WJLP never return to the air, McAllan emphasized that none of PMCM TV's employees would lose their jobs as they must still broadcast KJWP.

"It's just as it was before we put the station on," McAllan said. "We're not laying off any staff. We're not making any changes. Everything is as it was. To turn it back on is literally a flip of the switch. It's not like we have to go through a long process in order to bring the thing back up again. We could have it back up and running within, probably, a day or so."

Meredith Corp., the Des Moines, Iowa-based media company that owns WFSB, declined to comment.

The FCC did not return a request for comment.

Partnership with Asbury Park Press

WJLP had been airing classic television shows, such as "Batman," "Get Smart" and "Leave It to Beaver." It also planned to introduce several news and public affairs programs later this month. The station was supposed to have partnered with the Asbury Park Press and the rest of Gannett's newspapers in New Jersey, in which an anchor for the station would air the newspapers' content during various one-minute news breaks each day from the Asbury Park Press' office in Neptune.

The station was also supposed to go live later this month with "Jersey Matters" and "And Another Thing With Larry Mendte," a pair of public affairs programs that would each be produced at Monmouth University in West Long Branch, and then air on Saturday and Sunday mornings. "Jersey Matters" would have focused specifically on New Jersey while "And Another Thing With Larry Mendte" would talk about happenings elsewhere. Larry Mendte has won more than 90 Emmy awards as a newscaster in the New York and Philadelphia markets.

PMCM TV bought the license for WJLP in November 2008 from KVNV Channel 3 in Ely, Nevada, and moved the station to New Jersey within the New York market, which reaches as far south as Mercer and Ocean counties. It also bought the license for KJWP in June 2009 from KJWY Channel 2 in Jackson, Wyoming, and moved it to Wilmington, Delaware, within the Philadelphia market. KJWP went live in November 2013.
post #17740 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Clearly what is needed is more flexibility in the PSIP system. If each OTA viewer had a little OTA set-top box that was connected to the internet, then when a signal from WFSB arrived via RF 33 and a signal from KYW arrived on RF26, the device could access the internet to look up the PSIP tables for the Hartford and Philadelphia markets, recognize that both stations have virtual channel number 3, determine which station's transmitter is closer to the viewer's set, determine the political and financial clout the companies that own the stations, and make a decision regarding which station is worthier of being Channel 3 on that viewer's set. The other station would be demoted to Channel 99 or something like that.

And, of course, the little device could be used to report the viewer's viewing habits directly to Nielsen and the FCC.
post #17741 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The loophole was there to be taken advantage of. The FCC is pretending not to understand its own laws as a favor to the big boys (CBS, ION) and the insignificant station in that media mecca, Hartford, CT.)
WFSB may be insignificant in the NYC area but that's not the case in Hartford and surrounding areas. They provide over 30 hours of local news per week and have NFL.
post #17742 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
If each OTA viewer had a little OTA set-top box that was connected to the internet, then when a signal from WFSB arrived via RF 33 and a signal from KYW arrived on RF26, the device could access the internet to look up the PSIP tables for the Hartford and Philadelphia markets,
NO!

You're complicating an issue that is very isolated and will be resolved by the FCC
post #17743 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
NO!

You're complicating an issue that is very isolated and will be resolved by the FCC
You must have missed the smiley face.
That suggestion was purely in jest.

The main point is that the FCC should try to make OTA television as simple as possible, and if any confusion is going to be created, let the confusion be created for cable TV viewers, who should be used to goofy channel numbers by now.
post #17744 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
My reception issue aside, if WJLP's argument is that they've broadcast for years on channel 3 in a state thousands of miles away, they have no case. I can certainly agree with KYW and WFSB not wanting another station on their virtual, though less with WPXN complaining about being channel 3 on Cablevision (they're not on any other service). Again, I'm sorry but I don't think WJLP has a case here. The ownership tried to pull one over on everybody, and as the new kid on the block, they can't just barge in. FCC is also ruling on the future, to prevent more of these long distance station moves.

Well, a federal court did in fact rule that the FCC had to allow the transfer of the license and RF3 channel allocation from Nevada to New Jersey. So, from a legal standpoint, the crucial question might be whether that ruling also implied a right to have the Channel 3 position on the major cable systems and whether that would also require the assignment of channel 3 as the virtual channel number.

From a business standpoint, I am sure that the channel position on the cable systems is a big deal. Me-TV's contract with the station might even have some provisions requiring the station to secure a good position on cable systems. I don't know enough about affiliation deals to know that.
post #17745 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Im boycotting cbs ion which is sell out including nfl. I back metv 100 percent
post #17746 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
fog in central jersey is intense, lost a lot of NYC channels but got wrnn and some connecticut affiliates. Hell of a tropo going on.
post #17747 of 20914 Old 11-11-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhfyagi View Post
You won't have much company in doing that. MeTV is not a zit on the NFL/CBS's face.

Quote:
Is this an independent writer? The Asbury Park Press is not, they do business with PCMMTV's parent. Has any reputable, independent news source written about this yet?
post #17748 of 20914 Old 11-12-2014, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
http://atsc.org/cms/standards/a65/A65_2013.pdf

Here's the text. Let's study the relevant portion.

"The following provisions assign major_channel_number values 2 through 69 uniquely to licensees
licensed to broadcast digital ATSC signals and guarantee that the two-part channel number
combinations used by a licensee will be different from those used by any other licensee with an
overlapping DTV Service Area."
If this is the language being interpreted, then I do not think there is any ambiguity at all. WJLP is not entitled to 3-[anything].
post #17749 of 20914 Old 11-12-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Attacking? You sound childish. Yet you generalize and say that it doesn't make sense for ANYONE to get this "dorky station". Childish again. Apparently this conversation and the needs of the people from all the Avs forums you visit are way above your understanding.

Hissy fit? More childish crap from you. I was merely pointing out your nonsense that no one should bother trying to receive a lo vhf station because of whatever crap you decide to make up. I haven't posted about them going off, I have other things in my life to worry about. It comes back when it comes back. Yet you had to come here and proclaim that your better off than everyone because you didn't bother with the "dorky station".

Let me spell it our for you:

1. People will receive LOW VHF or not based on their antenna currently installed. We all know that...it is understood.
2. I would NOT recommend anyone go out and buy a large low UHF antenna just to pull in 3.1 which is one of over 40 to 50 or more stations we get in the NY metro area. Most people are very happy with all the OTA programming they currently are getting and would see no need to add another antenna. It is a nicety not a necessity.
3. Perhaps I offended you by calling it a dorky station which you took that to reflect on you? A lover of 3.1 programming. It was not intended.
post #17750 of 20914 Old 11-12-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If there is any further movement to grab OTA spectrum, please, please let them take LOW VHF! They can even take HIGH VHF as far as I'm concerned!
post #17751 of 20914 Old 11-12-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

They will definitely fold now that you are boycotting them. There should be a press release any moment about how their viewership has been impacted by their position on METV and that they are going stop their legal actions.
George Molnar and nyctveng like this.
post #17752 of 20914 Old 11-12-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
Quote:
The loophole was there to be taken advantage of. The FCC is pretending not to understand its own laws as a favor to the big boys (CBS, ION) and the insignificant station in that media mecca, Hartford, CT.)
WFSB may be insignificant in the NYC area but that's not the case in Hartford and surrounding areas. They provide over 30 hours of local news per week and have NFL.
You are correct. In the disappointment of losing a favorite channel, I was dismissive of WFSB; however, I still don't see how a station in Northern Ct can have so much sway over a local channel that transmits primarily in NYC and northern NJ.
post #17753 of 20914 Old 11-12-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
Quote:
You won't have much company in doing that. MeTV is not a zit on the NFL/CBS's face.

Quote:
Is this an independent writer? The Asbury Park Press is not, they do business with PCMMTV's parent. Has any reputable, independent news source written about this yet?
Its from a website called Rant Lifestyle. Its someone's opinion, which I happen to share. Of course, it is your opinion (and the rest of the forum posters) whether you agree or not.
post #17754 of 20914 Old 11-12-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let me spell it our for you:

1. People will receive LOW VHF or not based on their antenna currently installed. We all know that...it is understood.
2. I would NOT recommend anyone go out and buy a large low UHF antenna just to pull in 3.1 which is one of over 40 to 50 or more stations we get in the NY metro area. Most people are very happy with all the OTA programming they currently are getting and would see no need to add another antenna. It is a nicety not a necessity.
3. Perhaps I offended you by calling it a dorky station which you took that to reflect on you? A lover of 3.1 programming. It was not intended.
You apparently don't know how to spell.

1. it has nothing to do with the conversation or my reply to you. no one even talked about antennas as to the reason it went off the air and in your world, they cant simply buy a new antenna and install it. you're grasping at straws.

2. no one here asked for your opinion if they should install a lo vhf antenna or if they should bother in trying to get Metv, its not even part of the conversation. you're grasping at straws because you were called out. So if a person comes here asking for help in watching Chips on the only channel that it broadcasts on in the entire NYC market and that would make them happy you would recommend them not doing it if they have the means because you assert that it doesnt make sense for anyone? who are you to tell that person its not a necessity? again, crap.

3. again, it didn't bother me that it went off the air unlike @uhfyagi . he called you a "nice" name before he deleted it because he obviously thought your assertions are pompous as well. and if you havent noticed, that are numerous people here who are not happy about the shutdown.

So the moral of your story is if someone who wants to get into OTA shouldn't bother with a popular station if they want it because its dorky. god help the people who ask for help in this thread if you are the first one to respond.

you might not realize it, but there are people who have space in their attics, who are not afraid of heights and have no problem in buying new equipment in order to get a "dorky" station. Providing crappy help and offering demoralizing opinions is detrimental to a help forum

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - HDHomeRun Connect Quatro - 6 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | Disney+ | Apple TV+ | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System

Last edited by Aero 1; 11-12-2014 at 01:51 PM.
post #17755 of 20914 Old 11-12-2014, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
If there is any further movement to grab OTA spectrum, please, please let them take LOW VHF! They can even take HIGH VHF as far as I'm concerned!
there you go again, if i cant get it screw everyone else mentality, i would hate to be life or death situation you likely to push someone of a cliff. Lol
post #17756 of 20914 Old 11-12-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't quite understand the tendency to disparage stations that accept the risk of broadcasting on VHF-Lo frequencies that are clearly less desirable than UHF frequencies in large urban areas.

Are people suggesting that those stations should be treated as pariahs or that the FCC should deliberately try to discontinue those allocations or pursue policies that make those stations have a hard time getting a good channel position on a cable system?

One could argue that out of a respect for television history, a station such as WCBS, whose channel 2 allocation was first granted way back in 1941, should be allowed (as it is allowed) to keep Channel 2 for marketing purposes, even though it is not willing to accept the disadvantages of broadcasting on RF2.

But why such denigration of stations that are willing to make use of VHF-Lo? It seems to me that unless a decision is taken to eliminate VHF-Lo from broadcast TV use, it is appropriate to take reasonable steps (in terms of governmental policies and regulations) to mitigate the competitive disadvantage of operating on those less desirable frequencies.
post #17757 of 20914 Old 11-12-2014, 04:00 PM

Um.... excuse me, I don't mean to break up the flaming brawl between Len L., Aero 1, and uhfyagi, but I thought you and others here might be interested to know the latest about the TV station that has been the hot topic here over the past 48 hours....

WJLP Middletown Township, RF 3/Virtual 3-10, is back on the air as of this afternoon. It will remain so until at least December 1, 2014. PMCM TV, via their Facebook page, is thanking viewers for voicing their opinions to the FCC, and they encourage viewers to continue submitting their comments.

In all fairness to the situation, PMCM TV was seeking a stay of the FCC's recent action to suspend the STA which has authorized WJLP to broadcast during this time, and I do not know whether that matter has been disposed, and if it was, whether the decision was favorable to the station.
post #17758 of 20914 Old 11-12-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had posted that about 3:30, I guess it didn't take. It came back on air at about that time. I was looking for an fcc confirmation but couldn't find it.
post #17759 of 20914 Old 11-12-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 891
So I finally found the letter. The one that was issued after WJLP ignored the FCC's initial order to map to 33-1.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/pro...etter_id=54220

It orders WJLP off the air if and only if it does not map to 33-1. So is the station running as 33-1 now as ordered? (Bear in mind some tuners will let old PSIP "stick" until rescanned.)

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #17760 of 20914 Old 11-12-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
So I finally found the letter. The one that was issued after WJLP ignored the FCC's initial order to map to 33-1.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/pro...etter_id=54220

It orders WJLP off the air if and only if it does not map to 33-1. So is the station running as 33-1 now as ordered? (Bear in mind some tuners will let old PSIP "stick" until rescanned.)

- Trip
still on 3-10. i did a rescan and it still shows 3.10.

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - HDHomeRun Connect Quatro - 6 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | Disney+ | Apple TV+ | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page