New York, NY - OTA - Page 654 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 533Likes

post #19591 of 20513 Old 09-08-2018, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky212 View Post
So you can pick up WTC but not ESB? That is odd as it's only about a 2 mile difference. So you can't get WABC or WPIX?
More like 4 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19592 of 20513 Old 09-08-2018, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. My antenna is directional. NYC is due east of me, and Montclair is due north of me. With the antenna pointed east I get nothing from WMBC. If I turn the antenna 90 degrees to the north, WMBC comes in fine. A directional antenna is not likely to be seeing both signals (hence the purpose of a directional antenna). If my antenna was "confused" by multiple signals, it doesn't make sense that it would only be an issue when pointed at ESB. I should see the same problem when pointed north too.
As Trip implied, your "directional" antenna can pick up signals from other directions. If your antenna is picking up WMBC from both Montclair and NYC at the same time with similar signal levels, it will cancel each other out. When you point it north towards Montclair, the signal is great enough to cancel out NYC.

Just to prove that your antenna is not truly directional, when pointing the antenna towards north of you, you will still get NYC stations that are to your east.
post #19593 of 20513 Old 09-08-2018, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
As Trip implied, your "directional" antenna can pick up signals from other directions. If your antenna is picking up WMBC from both Montclair and NYC at the same time with similar signal levels, it will cancel each other out. When you point it north towards Montclair, the signal is great enough to cancel out NYC.

Just to prove that your antenna is not truly directional, when pointing the antenna towards north of you, you will still get NYC stations that are to your east.
Here's where I'm losing you. You are saying the signals cancel each other out because they are similar signal levels from both Montclair and ESB. But then you are saying the signal from Montclair is great enough to cancel out NYC. So if the signal from Montclair is greater, then how can they be similar from both locations and cancel each other out?

I wish we had someone from the station that could definitivey tell us if WMBC is broadcasting from NYC or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19594 of 20513 Old 09-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here's where I'm losing you. You are saying the signals cancel each other out because they are similar signal levels from both Montclair and ESB. But then you are saying the signal from Montclair is great enough to cancel out NYC. So if the signal from Montclair is greater, then how can they be similar from both locations and cancel each other out?
I will try to explain in layman terms. Based on your location, lets say WMBC Montclair is 100% signal at your home and WMBC WTC is 75%. Let's say turning your antenna 90 degrees drops any received signal by 25% and pointing it directly at the source keeps the full signal. That would mean:

Directional antenna pointing at NYC: WTC = 75% and Montclair = 75% (100% - 25%) Same signal level, they cancel each other out.

Directional antenna pointing at Montclair: WTC = 50% (75% - 25%) and Montclair 100%. Montclair is now twice as strong and cancels out WTC

Quote:
I wish we had someone from the station that could definitivey tell us if WMBC is broadcasting from NYC or not.
It has already been reported here that WMBC is gone from ESB and now transmitting from WTC. Most station personnel have better things to do like run a station than deal with end users.
post #19595 of 20513 Old 09-08-2018, 03:05 PM

I just connected an omnidirectional antenna to my TV, and WMBC comes in fine. So why aren't the signals cancelling each other out?

And who reported that WMBC is broadcasting from WTC? According to RabbitEars the WTC app is still pending. And if they truly were broadcasting from WTC, then the Montclair transmitter would have been turned off. They don't have an app to broadcast from both WTC and Montclair. The DTS license only allows ESB and Montclair, not WTC.
post #19596 of 20513 Old 09-08-2018, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
His phrasing was a bit ambiguous.

The ESB signal is highly directional away from you. Therefore, if you're aiming a huge antenna at it to try to pull it in, and a really strong signal is coming in off the side (reduced from really strong to, say, just middling), then you will have two copies of the same signal at a similar strength. Suppose they're the same strength here, so they have a 0 dB difference in strength. The speed of light in a gas is not instantaneous; so if the ESB signal arrives significantly later than the Montclair signal (which it will in this case), then it looks like severe multipath, as if it were a reflection, since the two signals are identical, just way out of sync. If it's a bigger delay than the adaptive equalizer in your receiver can handle, it will fail to decode.

Alternatively, if you aim the antenna now at Montclair, you've boosted the Montclair signal while cutting the ESB signal. As long as you've improved the situation to the point that the Montclair signal is at least 15 dB stronger than the ESB signal, now the "reflection" looks like noise that the receiver can ignore, and it decodes successfully.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #19597 of 20513 Old 09-08-2018, 06:07 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post
I know where Montclair is located and have never received and signal from any
transmitter located from the other side of the river.
Don't know where the signal originates, however WMBC and the Quest network on 63.2 have been fine in the northeast Bronx for a few days now. I am still wondering what WJLP 33.7 is awaiting, especially since Decades did not end up there. Also wondering why one of my sets gets the 33.7 channel, but the others don't, even on the same antenna. Could it be that since there is no sound, it does not register as a channel by some sets, or can broadcasters hide a signal during setup/testing?
post #19598 of 20513 Old 09-09-2018, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
I have a unique situation because of the way my house is built, but I was able to use brackets to secure the antenna mast to the side of my house. I made the mast from a pipe (pretty hefty pipe) that I got locally from an electrical supply house (I think the pipe is used for heavy duty conduit). Would something like this work for you?
Result- I bought on line some thicker gauge antenna mast, and painted it battleship gray. The antenna is now 5 feet higher, all elements were adjusted to be identical distance from the grid, and I used a fresh lead from antenna to first splitter.

Tivo Roamio OTA box.

I got a decent bump in signal strength. Interesting how all the UHF stations are the exact same value....

virtual channel/RF ch/Signal Strength

2-1 33 72
4 36 72
5 44 72
7 7 72
9 25 72
11 11 60
13 13 52, but now it locks cleanly.
25 24 72
68 30 72

So, even though the 4228 isn't a VHF antenna, it's working again-back to lurker mode and waiting for RF 13 to buy a linear amp from Ebay...

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.

Last edited by speedlaw; 09-09-2018 at 11:24 PM.
post #19599 of 20513 Old 09-10-2018, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC View Post
Don't know where the signal originates, however WMBC and the Quest network on 63.2 have been fine in the northeast Bronx for a few days now. I am still wondering what WJLP 33.7 is awaiting, especially since Decades did not end up there. Also wondering why one of my sets gets the 33.7 channel, but the others don't, even on the same antenna. Could it be that since there is no sound, it does not register as a channel by some sets, or can broadcasters hide a signal during setup/testing?
FWIW, my reception in North Jersey of WMBC-TV Newton is next to non-existent when it used to be very good. And NONE of my ATSC equipment can receive the phantom WJLP-DT7 Middletown Township stream even after rescanning.

I think at the FCC, the signals on paper look fantastic and are getting better not by the day but by the minute. Maybe the folks in Washington, DC need to get out in the real world, talk to real RF engineers and real OTA TV viewers, and maybe even turn on a TV not connected to cable television to see what is really going on.
post #19600 of 20513 Old 09-10-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post
FWIW, my reception in North Jersey of WMBC-TV Newton is next to non-existent when it used to be very good. And NONE of my ATSC equipment can receive the phantom WJLP-DT7 Middletown Township stream even after rescanning.

I think at the FCC, the signals on paper look fantastic and are getting better not by the day but by the minute. Maybe the folks in Washington, DC need to get out in the real world, talk to real RF engineers and real OTA TV viewers, and maybe even turn on a TV not connected to cable television to see what is really going on.
Part of the problem that leads to confusion are incorrect coverage maps. When I look at the ESB coverage map for WMBC, it shows my location in the green "easy indoor" coverage area. However, when I tune to the station with an outdoor antenna I can only pull in 13db, much too low to lock on a usable signal. It's the same thing with WNJB. The coverage map shows my location in the green zone, yet I can't pull in even a hint of this channel. Someone needs to figure out what these stations are doing that their coverage maps are not even close to real world.

I agree with your point, OTA TV in general seems to be a crapshoot on what you'll be able to pull in on any given day.
reddice likes this.

Last edited by ansky212; 09-10-2018 at 06:30 PM.
post #19601 of 20513 Old 09-10-2018, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Part of the problem that leads to confusion are incorrect coverage maps. When I look at the ESB coverage map for WMBC, it shows my location in the green "easy indoor" coverage area. However, when I tune to the station with an outdoor antenna I can only pull in 13db, much too low to lock on a usable signal.
Your WMBC situation was already explained. Maps show signal strength, not quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post
Yeah, if only there were a real engineer at the FCC. Perhaps one who is an expert on OTA signals, maybe runs a website about OTA stations, something like that. Ah well.

Of course, with all the arguments that people like that seem to wind up in when they engage, it's no wonder they don't like to engage much of the time.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #19602 of 20513 Old 09-10-2018, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hey Trip,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Yeah, if only there were a real engineer at the FCC. Perhaps one who is an expert on OTA signals, maybe runs a website about OTA stations, something like that. Ah well.

Of course, with all the arguments that people like that seem to wind up in when they engage, it's no wonder they don't like to engage much of the time.

- Trip
I don't have a beef with you, nor am I questioning YOUR technical intellect. I think rabbitears.com is an excellent and informative site which I have always found kept up to date and sometimes surprisingly updated quicker with respect to subchannels than I would expect from a site that covers the entire United States along with some attention to Canada and Mexico.

With that being said, my concerns exist for the people who either may not know to seek out your site or be technically inclined to research and accomplish tasks to improve their reception. Some people are likely to get so disgusted with not being able to watch their favorite channels they may throw in the towel and subscribe to a pay TV provider, which I think only grows the beast and defeats the original intent of providing FREE advertiser/government-supported television to the public at large.

Now that Decades is off the air in many major markets, have you seen how many people are griping on Facebook that they have called their cable provider to express their disgust that the provider removed the channel? I don't blame them, but they just don't understand whom is responsible for this. So for these and similar individuals, perhaps television should be a little easier.

In recent years, the FCC has approved several translators to operate on 104.7FM in and around NYC. Technically, these translators likely do not penetrate WSPK Poughkeepsie's protected contour. But when applying the physics of the real world, there are only so many translators that can be shoehorned in on one frequency before all signals become unreliable and radio listeners are deprived because a once upon a time audible station is now the go to spot for radio hash. As evidence, I submit the upper AM band as Exhibit "A". Consequently, I do question the engineering and technical background of whomever is approving these applications.

I have read through all the recent posts on the AVS New York City forum. There appears to be a growing consensus that television reception is getting worse in this market and not better. I will gladly reposition my antenna and rescan my ATSC devices. But how many times do you think the average lay viewer will rinse and repeat before hanging the white flag upon their antenna?
LenL likes this.
post #19603 of 20513 Old 09-11-2018, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Giacomo,

I agree with your comments 100%. I might add that the broadcasters are promoting how great they are and the new equipment, locations (1WTC) and all the advances. Meanwhile far to many of us are losing reception. I am getting ready to give up on OTA. Climbing ladders and adjusting antennas is getting old fast!

Every single station I receive has reduced signal strength and or quality but one. That is a mess that I have never experienced since the digital transition.

The lone exception is WNET 13.1 VHF. Signal strength rock solid at 85-87% and quality 100%

In general VHF reception has always been only fair for me while UHF was very good. So I get one VHF station well while I can't get 11.1 at all and 7.1 pixelates.

All my UHF stations are 60 or below in signal strength and quality is less than 100.
post #19604 of 20513 Old 09-11-2018, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Giacomo,

I agree with your comments 100%. I might add that the broadcasters are promoting how great they are and the new equipment, locations (1WTC) and all the advances. Meanwhile far to many of us are losing reception. I am getting ready to give up on OTA. Climbing ladders and adjusting antennas is getting old fast!

Every single station I receive has reduced signal strength and or quality but one. That is a mess that I have never experienced since the digital transition.

The lone exception is WNET 13.1 VHF. Signal strength rock solid at 85-87% and quality 100%

In general VHF reception has always been only fair for me while UHF was very good. So I get one VHF station well while I can't get 11.1 at all and 7.1 pixelates.

All my UHF stations are 60 or below in signal strength and quality is less than 100.

In a similar situation whereby the stations that have moved to WTC, the strongest stations that I receive in Central NJ is Channel 9/RF25 with a signal strength of 75 to 85. My worst stations are Channel 2/RF33 and Channel 4, 47/RF 36 with a signal strength from 20 to 80. Its just all over the place on these two channels while all other stations on WTC work fine. Never hand this issue when the stations where on the ESB. Really annoying dealing with this issue on those two channels.
post #19605 of 20513 Old 09-11-2018, 08:49 AM
ALP

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Guys, You cannot blame the FCC for specific location reception problems. The problem is lack of support by local business. In 1993 when I wanted to go OTA there was a local store that sold and installed antennas. They set me up with exactly what I need then. In 2012 (we had moved again by then ) I needed another antenna to go OTA for the house we now live in. The local store that helped me then had gone out of business. Fortunately, I found a B&M store online in Massachusetts that asked me the right questions when I called them and they got me the antenna that I needed and use today to get very good reception. That store has now also gone out of business. The FCC is a good starting guide, but you cannot expect them to know all the things that are need to get the best reception in your exact location.

Tony Plachy

Last edited by ALP; 09-11-2018 at 08:58 AM.
post #19606 of 20513 Old 09-11-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Guys, You cannot blame the FCC for specific location reception problems. The problem is lack of support by local business. In 1993 when I wanted to go OTA there was a local store that sold and installed antennas. They set me up with exactly what I need then. In 2012 (we had moved again by then ) I needed another antenna to go OTA for the house we now live in. The local store that helped me then had gone out of business. Fortunately, I found a B&M store online in Massachusetts that asked me the right questions when I called them and they got me the antenna that I needed and use today to get very good reception. That store has now also gone out of business. The FCC is a good starting guide, but you cannot expect them to know all the things that are need to get the best reception in your exact location.
I don't think this is really the crux of the issue. The real issue is that you have channels moving locations (ESB to WTC). You have channels changing frequencies (RF number). You have channels changing RF a second time because of repacking. You have channels reducing power for tower maintenance. You have channels broadcasting in directional patterns. A station comes in fine one day and is non-existent the next. Then it's back to coming in fine the day after that. It's like one big cluster out there and who is keeping track of all this stuff? I highly doubt the FCC could tell you what is going on with any given station at any particular moment. I thought I was doing myself a huge favor when I cancelled cable last year. Now turning on my TV is basically a crapshoot on any given day.
reddice, LenL and Brian in CT like this.
post #19607 of 20513 Old 09-11-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Ansk212

I loved your post! You pretty much said it all perfectly! If there was a way to sabotage OTA reception it has not only been found but it has been implemented in the NYC area to perfection!
post #19608 of 20513 Old 09-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I thought I was doing myself a huge favor when I cancelled cable last year. Now turning on my TV is basically a crapshoot on any given day.
There is no guarantee from stations or the FCC that your reception will be good all the time. Stations try the best they can and there are many things outside of their control. If you want reliable TV, that is what cable TV is for.
post #19609 of 20513 Old 09-11-2018, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ansk212

I loved your post! You pretty much said it all perfectly! If there was a way to sabotage OTA reception it has not only been found but it has been implemented in the NYC area to perfection!
I'm a ham so I actually enjoy playing antenna, and I'm located 42 miles north of NYC. Playing with 2 meters, I've seen a lot of radio oddity, which is fun if you're a ham, but I'm seeing folks get unhappy with their TV

In NTSC days, I had rock solid NYC signals, to the point that OTA looked WAY better than the dot-crawling junk my cable company sent out-at that time. My height and the proximity to the Hudson River (think God's' own waveguide) would get me Philly on the right days. Conversely, I cannot get anything other than that narrow down river vector, as my home is surrounded by rising hills. I've never even bothered to try to get some of the TV fool claimed stations...that's a 500 foot hill behind me, and unless I somehow got lucky with knife edge refraction, it's not happening. I can barely hear my next door Town police dispatch, but I can work a repeater on the ESB with a five watt transmitter into a modest discone. (42 miles v 7)

Often, when I lose a signal, it's my equipment. One of four TV sets wasn't locking on 11 or 13, the other three were. Answer : bad splitter. Once, I couldn't get RF 7 on one set. Answer : Bad end connector. I can only imagine if I'd taken advice given on line and then used an amplifier- havoc. I feed four sets with no amp, so unless you are legit fringe and already have a big array, I'd not amp the system.....

There is ZERO Bricks/Mortar support for OTA-you have to be willing to play with it....and yes, that does limit it. In the past, a lot of folks paid a mortgage knowing how to get a signal in their area and wire a house for folks who'd hire them. I have two dilapidated buildings in my area, XXXX TV Service, who probably lasted 20 plus years. These guys knew where you'd get a TV signal, and where you wouldn't. Their work is still sometimes seen in towers, or an old but still standing set of stacked VHF antennas. That knowledge is gone, like the secret to pyramid construction. I'm fascinated when I see, usually on an older home, in a weather protected hollow, an elaborate but still standing array-rusted, but still standing....

OTA is becoming hobbyist, and you have to view it that way as a user. That isn't a business model, but it's what we have. If you can't get a signal, and you can put up an outdoor antenna, you need a bigger one, or you need to try the other side of the house. If you can't, I agree that's a problem and that the broadcasters are the issue, but again, if you control your walls and roof, put up a bigger antenna. Period. Those tiny things you see at Best Buy are nonsense. TV Fool is a suggestion, not a guarantee. Go one bigger than it says....you won't hurt anything and at worst waste what, $40, once ?

The TV is digital, but the art of catching the radio frequency is still very analog. I'm extremely grateful for the information Trip and others provide-when I saw that the RF on his site was consistent on one channel, I knew my problems were with MY system.
Giacomo Siffredi likes this.

Last edited by speedlaw; 09-11-2018 at 01:45 PM.
post #19610 of 20513 Old 09-11-2018, 01:49 PM
ALP

Quote:
Ansk212

Len and all you guys to the west of NYC, I feel for you and wish we (or someone) could figure out your reception problems. It makes no sense. Len, you live 30 miles west of the ESB and I live 30 miles north of the ESB. Since the moves to 1WTC your reception has gone to hell and mine is at the least very good to excellent. (I had four months or so of crappy CBS due to their power reduction, but they are back now.) I believe that all of the major channels are broadcasting an omnidirectional pattern. What is special about being to the north?

Tony Plachy
post #19611 of 20513 Old 09-11-2018, 02:40 PM
ALP

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post
I'm a ham so I actually enjoy playing antenna, and I'm located 42 miles north of NYC. Playing with 2 meters, I've seen a lot of radio oddity, which is fun if you're a ham, but I'm seeing folks get unhappy with their TV

In NTSC days, I had rock solid NYC signals, to the point that OTA looked WAY better than the dot-crawling junk my cable company sent out-at that time. My height and the proximity to the Hudson River (think God's' own waveguide) would get me Philly on the right days. Conversely, I cannot get anything other than that narrow down river vector, as my home is surrounded by rising hills. I've never even bothered to try to get some of the TV fool claimed stations...that's a 500 foot hill behind me, and unless I somehow got lucky with knife edge refraction, it's not happening. I can barely hear my next door Town police dispatch, but I can work a repeater on the ESB with a five watt transmitter into a modest discone. (42 miles v 7)

Often, when I lose a signal, it's my equipment. One of four TV sets wasn't locking on 11 or 13, the other three were. Answer : bad splitter. Once, I couldn't get RF 7 on one set. Answer : Bad end connector. I can only imagine if I'd taken advice given on line and then used an amplifier- havoc. I feed four sets with no amp, so unless you are legit fringe and already have a big array, I'd not amp the system.....

There is ZERO Bricks/Mortar support for OTA-you have to be willing to play with it....and yes, that does limit it. In the past, a lot of folks paid a mortgage knowing how to get a signal in their area and wire a house for folks who'd hire them. I have two dilapidated buildings in my area, XXXX TV Service, who probably lasted 20 plus years. These guys knew where you'd get a TV signal, and where you wouldn't. Their work is still sometimes seen in towers, or an old but still standing set of stacked VHF antennas. That knowledge is gone, like the secret to pyramid construction. I'm fascinated when I see, usually on an older home, in a weather protected hollow, an elaborate but still standing array-rusted, but still standing....

OTA is becoming hobbyist, and you have to view it that way as a user. That isn't a business model, but it's what we have. If you can't get a signal, and you can put up an outdoor antenna, you need a bigger one, or you need to try the other side of the house. If you can't, I agree that's a problem and that the broadcasters are the issue, but again, if you control your walls and roof, put up a bigger antenna. Period. Those tiny things you see at Best Buy are nonsense. TV Fool is a suggestion, not a guarantee. Go one bigger than it says....you won't hurt anything and at worst waste what, $40, once ?

The TV is digital, but the art of catching the radio frequency is still very analog. I'm extremely grateful for the information Trip and others provide-when I saw that the RF on his site was consistent on one channel, I knew my problems were with MY system.

Speedlaw's post started me thinking. As I said I am about 30 miles from the ESB on straight line of sight. Going west I am about 5 miles from the center of the Hudson river. If I make a triangle from the ESB to the center of the Hudson due west of me, from the center of the Hudson to me and then from me back to the ESB, the angle subtended by the two long sides of that triangle is about 11 degrees. 1WTC is 3 miles south of the ESB so if I used 1WTC as my starting point the angle would be about 10 degrees. I am not sure if being 30 to 33 miles from the source and 10 to 11 degrees away from the Hudson means I am getting a wave guide effect from the Hudson? I am using a big Yagi for my antenna.

Tony Plachy
post #19612 of 20513 Old 09-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Speedlaw's post started me thinking. As I said I am about 30 miles from the ESB on straight line of sight. Going west I am about 5 miles from the center of the Hudson river. If I make a triangle from the ESB to the center of the Hudson due west of me, from the center of the Hudson to me and then from me back to the ESB, the angle subtended by the two long sides of that triangle is about 11 degrees. 1WTC is 3 miles south of the ESB so if I used 1WTC as my starting point the angle would be about 10 degrees. I am not sure if being 30 to 33 miles from the source and 10 to 11 degrees away from the Hudson means I am getting a wave guide effect from the Hudson? I am using a big Yagi for my antenna.
I'm pointed more at the river than exactly at the transmitters....my signal strength goes down directly pointed at the transmitters. That's what I mean..it's all analog and location dependent. The computer paradigm for OTA doesn't work. Some folks will get a signal first time with a coat hanger. Others will need something from NASA at 200 feet. The rest of us are in between, and if you can put up an outside antenna the vast majority can get a viewable situation. You have to experiment, there is no answer "on line", other than Netflix !

post #19613 of 20513 Old 09-11-2018, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I might add that the broadcasters are promoting how great they are and the new equipment, locations (1WTC) and all the advances. Meanwhile far to many of us are losing reception. I am getting ready to give up on OTA.
ATSC 1.0 as a mode of transmission is very temperamental. Any little type of interference can cause reception to drop out. I just ask everyone with inconsistent reception issues to be patient. From what I've heard and read, ATSC 3.0 will solve most (if not all) of these problems. Broadcasters just need to roll it out much more quickly. Unfortunately, this won't help people living in the "nooks and crannies" of terrain. They're never going to receive OTA TV.
post #19614 of 20513 Old 09-12-2018, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundBaby View Post
CH 11 normally is watchable from Midnights thru Noon out here. Right now the SNR is about 17.50 and it’s actually viewable. I just got a old 5 foot radio shack mast from my cousin., so once I get time I’ll add it to my 10 foot section and see what happens.
Channel 11 is watchable only when the weather is good. Nice clear sunny day it is great. Rainy damp day it is unwatchable with constant breakups.

Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato
3.5-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K (2017).
Cats are the best pets.
post #19615 of 20513 Old 09-12-2018, 11:51 AM
ALP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Channel 11 is watchable only when the weather is good. Nice clear sunny day it is great. Rainy damp day it is unwatchable with constant breakups.

I had the same problem with Channel 2 earlier this year when they reduced power by 1/3 when the moved to 1WTC. For about the last month or so Channel 2 has been good. During this rainy spell that we are having I may have an audio dropout or a pixillation for a second or two when it rains really hard. Have you checked the signal strength of Channel 11 compared to other channels?

Tony Plachy
post #19616 of 20513 Old 09-12-2018, 01:16 PM
2VW

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip

Dear Trip,

Consider the time spent arguing with internet experts time well spent.

Any qualified engineer will often find him/herself continuously explaining technical matters to management. Sometimes management people have no business working in decision making unless that decision is when to flip the burgers.

Being polished at dealing with troubled personalities should be taught along with transmission line theory.

The one thing missing with many online arguers is the silly notion that anything can be fixed with a software update.

Please keep your patience dial at eleven and know there are people who think you are doing an excellent job.

2VW
post #19617 of 20513 Old 09-12-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VW View Post
Dear Trip,

Consider the time spent arguing with internet experts time well spent.

Any qualified engineer will often find him/herself continuously explaining technical matters to management. Sometimes management people have no business working in decision making unless that decision is when to flip the burgers.

Being polished at dealing with troubled personalities should be taught along with transmission line theory.

The one thing missing with many online arguers is the silly notion that anything can be fixed with a software update.

Please keep your patience dial at eleven and know there are people who think you are doing an excellent job.

2VW
I heartily second 2VW's comments!

2VW must be a very wise and knowing person!!!!

SnellKrell
post #19618 of 20513 Old 09-12-2018, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I moved my Winegard Freevision from 2nd floor window to the attic today. Overall, reception has improved quite a bit, with signal quality >90% for almost all the channels. WJLP is still not watchable at night, but at least it locks now. I optimized antenna placement based on WNJB and it was watchable when I was setting up the antenna, but now it's pixelating a lot. I may invest in a bigger attic antenna in the future (not sure which), or just give up on WNJB.

I was able to receive WLIW by pointing the antenna east (with about 75% signal quality), but that was at the expense of less signal on other channels. I may try this again but I can wait until the repack, when I'm pretty sure I'll be able to receive WLIW from 1WTC. In the meantime, WLIW is on locast.org.

Last edited by darkegg; 09-12-2018 at 10:10 PM.
post #19619 of 20513 Old 09-12-2018, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post
I heartily second 2VW's comments!

2VW must be a very wise and knowing person!!!!

SnellKrell
+3. Thanks again.

post #19620 of 20513 Old 09-14-2018, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I found out my LED computer monitor on the floor below the attic is creating some interference on RF 8. The interference brings the signal quality just below the 50% mark (or around 50%) to make WNJB unwatchable. With the LED monitor turned off or in sleep mode, I can watch WNJB with some minor glitches. At this point, I'm not sure a bigger antenna will even help. I just need to go up higher away from all the household interference. VHF is a pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page