New York, NY - OTA - Page 661 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 500Likes

post #19801 of 20131 Old 12-14-2018, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
they had one in 2011 called CBS New York Plus. No one watched it, they got rid of it. Its not justifiable because it doesnt fit the demo. face it, old people are not in the demo, its the young, and the young will watch it online, not OTA.

I would argue that cord-cutters skew younger, as a 20-something I don't know of a single peer who subscribes to cable, they all rely on OTA or streaming. Clearly they'll be able to stream CBSN New York, but that's something they would actively have to opt-in to. Having OTA carriage seems like a pretty straightforward way to make sure that people can stumble into the channel and develop as an audience, rather than limiting it to an app.

NY1 has a massive audience, and I think there's room for a competitor. CBS NY+ was a loop of old programming and weather reports, CBSN New York has several hours of exclusive newscasts every day, so I don't think equating the two is exactly fair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19802 of 20131 Old 12-15-2018, 04:50 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlowja View Post
I would argue that cord-cutters skew younger, as a 20-something I don't know of a single peer who subscribes to cable, they all rely on OTA or streaming. Clearly they'll be able to stream CBSN New York, but that's something they would actively have to opt-in to. Having OTA carriage seems like a pretty straightforward way to make sure that people can stumble into the channel and develop as an audience, rather than limiting it to an app.

NY1 has a massive audience, and I think there's room for a competitor. CBS NY+ was a loop of old programming and weather reports, CBSN New York has several hours of exclusive newscasts every day, so I don't think equating the two is exactly fair.
I recall CBS NY+ and it was just a few minutes worth of news that repeated endlessly. CBSN is much more and deserves the exposure. As a cord cutter, I would welcome a subchannel for 24/7 local news. Alternatively, does anyone know if it will play on the Amazon Echo or Google Home versions that have a screen? Also, would the Charge and Comet networks play through either of these devices, as I do know that both of these networks stream their content? Thanks
By the way, I have noticed that CBSN does stream live via youtube whenever there is breaking news, I wonder if the New York version will do the same.
post #19803 of 20131 Old 12-16-2018, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
WABC-TV 7.1 Audio

Is anyone else experiencing very poor audio quality transmitting from WABC-TV on the main channel? The audio quality on this stream is scratchy and tinny. The audio qualities on the remaining two streams do not suffer from this defect. If you tune to the station now and turn up the volume louder than usual, this scratchiness is quite evident. I also experienced this issue about three weeks ago, so it cannot be isolated to the current programming. The problem also does not exist on any other channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19804 of 20131 Old 12-16-2018, 09:11 PM
ALP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo Siffredi View Post
Is anyone else experiencing very poor audio quality transmitting from WABC-TV on the main channel? The audio quality on this stream is scratchy and tinny. The audio qualities on the remaining two streams do not suffer from this defect. If you tune to the station now and turn up the volume louder than usual, this scratchiness is quite evident. I also experienced this issue about three weeks ago, so it cannot be isolated to the current programming. The problem also does not exist on any other channel.

On ABC 7.1 we sometimes get buzzing in our TV speakers that we do not notice on any of the other X.1 channels. We do not watch any of the other channels beyond X.1.

Tony Plachy
post #19805 of 20131 Old 12-17-2018, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
I noticed this too. Sunday night the problem was worse than usual. I have noticed it during primetime shows for at least the past month or two. This morning I put on GMA and the audio seemed fine, so it's not a constant problem. Seems to be related to primetime.
post #19806 of 20131 Old 12-17-2018, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I'm glad someone brought this up. I noticed this on "The Rookie" and I thought I may have blown a speaker. I haven't been watching any other ABC content recently and assumed it was just a music choice by the makers of the show when no other programs had the same issue.
post #19807 of 20131 Old 12-17-2018, 06:56 AM
ALP

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
I'm glad someone brought this up. I noticed this on "The Rookie" and I thought I may have blown a speaker. I haven't been watching any other ABC content recently and assumed it was just a music choice by the makers of the show when no other programs had the same issue.

Wow, My wife noticed this on the Rookie as well, she now refuses to watch it anymore. A blown speaker is exactly what it sounds like and we to do not find it on any other program. In general I am not happy with the audio on most channels (with the exception of PBS). I think they all use a lot of compression to try to win the loudness wars.

Tony Plachy
post #19808 of 20131 Old 12-17-2018, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Wow, My wife noticed this on the Rookie as well, she now refuses to watch it anymore. A blown speaker is exactly what it sounds like and we to do not find it on any other program. In general I am not happy with the audio on most channels (with the exception of PBS). I think they all use a lot of compression to try to win the loudness wars.
The audio compression (and other processing) on WABC local productions is very aggressive. This does not usually extend to network fare.
post #19809 of 20131 Old 12-18-2018, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 8
For the past couple days I have noticed that I can easily pull in WLNY from my home in NJ. Normally I can only occasionally pull them in on summer nights, but now I'm getting them during the day. Did they make any changes to their signal or is this just a fluke?
post #19810 of 20131 Old 12-18-2018, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky212 View Post
For the past couple days I have noticed that I can easily pull in WLNY from my home in NJ. Normally I can only occasionally pull them in on summer nights, but now I'm getting them during the day. Did they make any changes to their signal or is this just a fluke?
No signal change. I believe the relative warmth of the Long Island Sound plus a fair weather pattern since Monday might have enhanced the signal enough for you to receive WLNY better.
post #19811 of 20131 Old 12-20-2018, 09:40 AM
NYC

WJLP appears to have dropped the religious channel it had on 33.5 and created a new channel on 33.15 with just color bars and no audio. On one of my sets, that channel appears as 3.12.
post #19812 of 20131 Old 12-20-2018, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes. I hear it on Optimum as well.. It seems to be a problem with the rear surround channels when a 5.1 broadcast is on.. Below is a link to an MP3 I extracted from one of the recordings of A Million Little Things... Its just the Right surround channel during a 30 second segment.. I've also observed it during commercials and yesterday I captured another recording during GMA Day during the afternoon. When I first started hearing it, I thought I had a blown speaker -- but its in the source material.
https://www.indigopc.com/SurrR.mp3

It started about 3 weeks ago for us. And it sounds hideous when your surrounds are just a few feet from your head. I've found if I switch my receiver over to Pure Stereo, it helps -- but doesnt eliminate. At least it takes it away from the rears.

Last edited by RickNY; 12-20-2018 at 12:36 PM.
post #19813 of 20131 Old 12-20-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
Yes. I hear it on Optimum as well.. It seems to be a problem with the rear surround channels when a 5.1 broadcast is on.. Below is a link to an MP3 I extracted from one of the recordings of A Million Little Things... Its just the Right surround channel during a 30 second segment.. I've also observed it during commercials and yesterday I captured another recording during GMA Day during the afternoon. When I first started hearing it, I thought I had a blown speaker -- but its in the source material.
https://www.indigopc.com/SurrR.mp3

It started about 3 weeks ago for us. And it sounds hideous when your surrounds are just a few feet from your head. I've found if I switch my receiver over to Pure Stereo, it helps -- but doesnt eliminate. At least it takes it away from the rears.
I hear it on Fios also ...
Especially on "The Rookie" ..
I also thought my rear speakers were blown / buzzing ...
Is this just a local WABC problem, or a network feed type thing?
post #19814 of 20131 Old 12-20-2018, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
I hear it on Fios also ...
Especially on "The Rookie" ..
I also thought my rear speakers were blown / buzzing ...
Is this just a local WABC problem, or a network feed type thing?
It sounds like a local problem. I have heard no problems with ABC in my surrounds, via WVNY, WMUR, or WCVB and have listened for issues after first seeing the issue on this thread regarding WABC.
post #19815 of 20131 Old 12-20-2018, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I just did a rescan and I see that there are 16:9 static color bars on what I presume to be WJLP. What’s odd is that the PSIP is 3-12, not 33-12. If I remember correctly, weren’t they barred from using PSIP 3 at the behest of WFSB?
post #19816 of 20131 Old 12-20-2018, 08:08 PM
NYC

Quote:
I just did a rescan and I see that there are 16:9 static color bars on what I presume to be WJLP. What’s odd is that the PSIP is 3-12, not 33-12. If I remember correctly, weren’t they barred from using PSIP 3 at the behest of WFSB?
As I stated earlier, on one of my sets it appears as PSIP 3.12, although that should only be the RF. On another, it displays as 33.15 -- not as 33.12 as you stated, which is audio from WBBO.
post #19817 of 20131 Old 12-21-2018, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 724
NBC looked like crap last night! Had to move my flat antenna a few times just to get a decent picture. I wonder if the weather had anything to do with it. I don’t view NBC much but it’s usually crystal clear.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #19818 of 20131 Old 12-23-2018, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
NBC looked like crap last night! Had to move my flat antenna a few times just to get a decent picture. I wonder if the weather had anything to do with it. I don’t view NBC much but it’s usually crystal clear.
Is this a joke? This is not analog.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra H

FS Gen2 Nvidia shield TV 2017 version
post #19819 of 20131 Old 12-23-2018, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I think it's only showing up as 3-12 because the PSIP information is missing. HDHomeRun scan shows this (and I've verified with TSReader):
Code:
ch=auto:3 lock=8vsb ss=91 snq=56 seq=50 bps=13860864 pps=0
3: 33.1 MeTV
4: 33.2 Laff
5: 33.4 Escape
6: 33.3 Grit
7: 33.10 WJLP-WX
8: 33.11 Thunder
9: 33.12 B985
10: 33.13 TheBoss
11: 33.14 1410 AM
12: 0
tsid=0x211D
post #19820 of 20131 Old 12-24-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Wonder if and when WCBS and WPXN will resume maximum authorized power????

Antenna work was to have been completed on the 1WTC mast by the end of last month.

With the power reductions, WCBS has been running at 64% of max, and WPXN at 60%.

Happy Holidays to all!

SnellKrell
post #19821 of 20131 Old 12-27-2018, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Antenna advice

TLDR: I get everything but Channels 4 and 9 (and their subchannels) using my cheap flat antenna or my old rabbit ears, even though those used to come in fine. Tried a distribution amp to no effect. Should I try an attenuator next? A different antenna? Maybe the Clearstream that Wirecutter likes? I need an indoor antenna that's not too bulky.

Long version:

We're on the Lower East Side (zip 10002) with line of sight from our living room to the ESB and (if we press our faces to the window) WTC1. For several years we used a basic rabbit ears antenna (RCA ANT111E) with our TV's internal tuner and rarely had reception problems on any of the major channels (2,4,5,7,9,11,13) or plenty of other channels we never watched.

We've been out of our apartment for most of 2018 during a renovation where we rearranged things a bit. We now have a projector with an outboard tuner in the room where the TV previously lived, and moved the TV to another room. I bought the outboard tuner and a flat antenna before we moved out and tested them, and at that time they seemed to pull in all the channels fine, too.

Fast forward to December 2018. The renovation is almost done and I've been installing the electronics, and I can't seem to get channels 4 or 9. Everything else comes in clear using any combination of rabbit ears or flat antenna, TV tuner or outboard tuner. But it's like 4 and 9 (and their subchannels) don't exist.

I've tried adding a distribution amplifier to the mix since the antenna location (just a few feet from where the rabbit ears used to live, along the same wall of windows) is now separated from the TV and outboard tuner by a couple of long-ish coax runs and splitters. The amp didn't help at all. In fact, when I cranked up the amp's variable gain, other channels dropped out (presumably the signal got too noisy).

I find it particularly strange that 4 and 9 are the only channels I can't get, since they have much more in common (in terms of frequency and transmitter location) with other channels that we DO get than they have in common with each other.

Any thoughts on what we should try next? Is it possible that 4 and 9 are TOO strong and we should try an attenuator? I assume an FM trap won't help as neither 4 nor 9 is anywhere near FM frequencies. Should I try a different antenna? TheWirecutter seems to like the Clearstream Eclipse, which I think would work well aesthetically in our apartment. I don't have the ability to mount anything outside, and the best antenna location (with the line of sight to ESB and WTC) is in the middle of our living room so an indoor metal monstrosity isn't going to work, either. At the end of the day we could live without 9, but we'd really like to have 4 as there are occasional NBC programs we like to watch.

Thanks!
post #19822 of 20131 Old 12-27-2018, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hey themicah,
Quote:
Originally Posted by themicah View Post
TLDR: I get everything but Channels 4 and 9 (and their subchannels) using my cheap flat antenna or my old rabbit ears, even though those used to come in fine. Tried a distribution amp to no effect. Should I try an attenuator next? A different antenna? Maybe the Clearstream that Wirecutter likes? I need an indoor antenna that's not too bulky.

<snip>

Any thoughts on what we should try next? Is it possible that 4 and 9 are TOO strong and we should try an attenuator? I assume an FM trap won't help as neither 4 nor 9 is anywhere near FM frequencies. Should I try a different antenna? TheWirecutter seems to like the Clearstream Eclipse, which I think would work well aesthetically in our apartment. I don't have the ability to mount anything outside, and the best antenna location (with the line of sight to ESB and WTC) is in the middle of our living room so an indoor metal monstrosity isn't going to work, either. At the end of the day we could live without 9, but we'd really like to have 4 as there are occasional NBC programs we like to watch.

Thanks!
Have you tried a rescan? During the past year, WNBC New York ceased broadcasting on its unique RF channel and now exists as subchannels of WNJU Linden (RF channel 36) and WWOR-TV Secaucus transitioned to RF channel 25. If your tuner is pointing to their former RF channels, both are presently vacant.
post #19823 of 20131 Old 12-27-2018, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Themicah, it sounds more likely some interference, i live in queens i have an outdoor antenna
I have the antenna pointe halfway between esb, wtc, all channels come in great, but i noticed
that nbc sometimes drops out. nbc is very flakely at best, dont think your signal is overloaded,
otherwise your other channels would not come either. what i would do is try another antenna, flat
Panel type antennas are crappy, specially on high vhf. you said you have rabbitears, give it a go.
post #19824 of 20131 Old 12-27-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Have you tried a rescan? During the past year, WNBC New York ceased broadcasting on its unique RF channel and now exists as subchannels of WNJU Linden (RF channel 36) and WWOR-TV Secaucus transitioned to RF channel 25. If your tuner is pointing to their former RF channels, both are presently vacant.
You nailed it. I just rescanned on both tuners, and WNBC and WWOR are back. I had no idea that the digital channel numbers were nominal and weren't actually tied to specific RF channels. But that certainly explains why 4 and 9 seemed like they were nonexistent when I hooked the TV and tuner up again after 8 months--it's because they WERE nonexistent.

Now my $12 flat antenna, mounted on the wall near the window where it's almost invisible, is feeding both tuners all the majors in HD (and about 60 other channels that we'll probably never watch). Thank you!!!
post #19825 of 20131 Old 12-28-2018, 10:10 AM

As an addendum, I looked up when WNBC and WWOR moved, and it looks like WWOR moved about a month before we moved out and WNBC moved just a week or two before we moved out. Which explains why we didn't notice their disappearance before we moved out and only discovered they were missing when we returned and tried to hook everything back up again.

I wonder how many thousands of New Yorkers who use OTA TV have been living without WWOR and WNBC for the last 9 months not realizing that they just need to do a rescan....
post #19826 of 20131 Old 12-28-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

I wonder how many thousands of New Yorkers who use OTA TV have been living without WWOR and WNBC for the last 9 months not realizing that they just need to do a rescan....
they both ran spots and announcements for months about the move and what to do many times through out the day and during their newscasts, so probably not as many as you think.

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 10 HDHomerun Tuners - 5 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | hulu | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
post #19827 of 20131 Old 12-28-2018, 10:50 AM

The fact that we missed this entirely confirms my view that we don't watch nearly enough TV to justify paying for cable!
Trip in VA and darkegg like this.
post #19828 of 20131 Old 12-28-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF9500 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
Is this a joke? This is not analog.
No joke got a lot of pixelation and signal drop out. I have an indoor $5 monoprice antenna also so I’m sure that’s not top of the line either lol

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
post #19829 of 20131 Old 12-28-2018, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven’t rescanned in a while maybe it’s time?

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
post #19830 of 20131 Old 12-28-2018, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
You nailed it. I just rescanned.
This (among other posts) makes me wonder why more TV makers don't include a "manual tuning" option like the LG brand does. With the manual tuning option, all you have to do is surf through the RF channels (2-51) and save the ones you want to receive. For example, when WWOR switched frequencies, I just deleted RF 38 and added RF 25. For someone like me who is receiving TV signals from multiple directions, it's indispensable.
MeatChicken and Jay Stone like this.

Last edited by Brian in CT; 12-28-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page