New York, NY - OTA - Page 665 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 531Likes

post #19921 of 20467 Old 03-01-2019, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky212 View Post
Has anyone used Locast lately? It now seems that you are required to make a donation to be able to watch anything. If that's the case then I don't think they can use the term "donation" any longer. More like a subscription fee now. Back to my Slingbox I guess...

They insert a commercial when you tune a channel and again after watching a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19922 of 20467 Old 03-02-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Has anyone used Locast lately? It now seems that you are required to make a donation to be able to watch anything. If that's the case then I don't think they can use the term "donation" any longer. More like a subscription fee now. Back to my Slingbox I guess...
The last few weeks I have not been able to tune to a channel on my Roku thru Locast ( 2 diff rokus, 2 different locations), ... I get the guide, but if I try to select a channel, It flashes the circular "loading" icon up for just a billionth of a second, & then reverts back to sitting on the guide ....
post #19923 of 20467 Old 03-14-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys I am at a loss. I live in Port Reading NJ which is 16 miles from NYC but I cannot get WABC signal OTA. I get all others but that. The antenna is 33 feet above ground. I have tried and amplified indoor and also an outdoor antenna pointed exactly where the Antenna app is directing me to. Here is a link to my TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90388338b66822
Oddly I am getting 41 channels with indoor and 31 with the outdoor.
All I really want are CBS, NBC, Fox, and ABC and then I can cut my $270/month cable bill.

Here is a link to the outdoor antenna:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And here is a link to the indoor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19924 of 20467 Old 03-14-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudmeister View Post
Guys I am at a loss. I live in Port Reading NJ which is 16 miles from NYC but I cannot get WABC signal OTA. I get all others but that. The antenna is 33 feet above ground. I have tried and amplified indoor and also an outdoor antenna pointed exactly where the Antenna app is directing me to. Here is a link to my TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90388338b66822
Oddly I am getting 41 channels with indoor and 31 with the outdoor.
All I really want are CBS, NBC, Fox, and ABC and then I can cut my $270/month cable bill.

Here is a link to the outdoor antenna:

And here is a link to the indoor

ill be blunt in the interest of saving time, those two antennas are crap. the first one is garbage and the second one is worst. return them and get your money back and start with an antennas direct 2v or 4v.

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 10 HDHomerun Tuners - 5 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | hulu | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
post #19925 of 20467 Old 03-14-2019, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
[FONT=Arial]Guys I am at a loss. I live in Port Reading NJ which is 16 miles from NYC but I cannot get WABC signal OTA. I get all others but that.
I have had very good luck with this antenna from 10 miles outside NYC:

https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-O...s%2C199&sr=8-3

I'm pulling in 68 channels (mounted outdoors about 15 feet off the ground).
post #19926 of 20467 Old 03-14-2019, 02:33 PM

I understand they are cheap but why would I get all channels except ABC on both antennas? They must be working for me to get the channels I do.
post #19927 of 20467 Old 03-14-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
I understand they are cheap but why would I get all channels except ABC on both antennas? They must be working for me to get the channels I do.
It’s not that they are cheap, it’s that they are crap. Those crappy antennas are not tuned for VHF. ABC is a hi vhf channel.
post #19928 of 20467 Old 03-14-2019, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Let me be less blunt. The antennas you have are good with UHF signals at your distance from the transmitter sites. The problem would be with VHF reception. Are you receiving WPIX (RF 11) and WNET (RF 13)? If so, then they are coming in just over the threshold to decode. WABC (RF 7) would be just under that threshold. If not, then that should tell you how bad your antennas are receiving the VHF band. I assume you are not getting WJLP (RF 3), which is on the VHF-Lo band. If you were, that would be a scratch of the head.

Flat panel antennas are notorious for being bad with VHF signals, so stay away from those. Check out ansky212 and SnellKrell's antennas posted earlier in this thread. These antennas, and others similar to them, should do the trick from where you are. I would trust names like Winegard and ChannelMaster. I'm sure other posters could name others.

By the way, the TVFool database is three years out of date. Some TV stations are missing, too. Keep that in mind when you use it in the future.
post #19929 of 20467 Old 03-14-2019, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the input. I went out and bought this and now I get all channels:

ClearStream 2MAX® UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with 20" Mast
post #19930 of 20467 Old 03-16-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hi all, can anyone recommend an installer for an outdoor antenna? I helped my brother-in-law do his installation 10 years ago but since then I've developed a medical issue that precludes me from doing the install myself. I looked on Amazon but it seems to be a crapshoot with the reviews. I'm about 60 miles from NYC and Antennaweb suggested the following: DB8e combined with the Clearstream 5, our Juice preamp, mounted outdoors as high as you possibly can.
post #19931 of 20467 Old 03-16-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
Hi all, can anyone recommend an installer for an outdoor antenna? I helped my brother-in-law do his installation 10 years ago but since then I've developed a medical issue that precludes me from doing the install myself. I looked on Amazon but it seems to be a crapshoot with the reviews. .,.
No one specific, however as a suggestion, you might want to try the "local Handyman" type ads in your local area ..
If you already have the antenna, cable and the mount, it's usually a piece of cake for them to install to a wall/chimney/roof, if you say something like, " I just need you to bolt /strap this up over there, pointing that way, run that ground wire, & run the cable in through that window, I'll take it from there ..." they're usually insured, and less expensive than the "antenna installer company" who will come out with 4 guys and an e$$timate pad ...

Last edited by MeatChicken; 03-16-2019 at 11:25 AM.
post #19932 of 20467 Old 03-16-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Hi all, can anyone recommend an installer for an outdoor antenna? I helped my brother-in-law do his installation 10 years ago but since then I've developed a medical issue that precludes me from doing the install myself. I looked on Amazon but it seems to be a crapshoot with the reviews. I'm about 60 miles from NYC and Antennaweb suggested the following: DB8e combined with the Clearstream 5, our Juice preamp, mounted outdoors as high as you possibly can.
You can try this: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/slin...ng-at-just-99/

I called them a few months ago to get more information. Basically they sell and install 5 different models of antennas. The drawback is that they determine which antenna they think will work best for you. They won't install an antenna you already have.
post #19933 of 20467 Old 03-24-2019, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I suspect you will be disappointed with the Clearstream 5. It sounds like it might be a decent VHF antenna for it's size, but small VHF antennas are traditionally very poor. Since size doesn't seem to be your primary concern, there are better options. The DB8e is an excellent UHF antenna, but is quite large and expensive. You'd probably be better off with one of the Channel Master antennas, which give VHF and UHF in a single package:

CM-3016 (This does great for me as an attic mount about 25 miles out)
CM-3018
CM-3020

The choice between these really depends on your budget and your exact situation. If all the target stations are in the same direction, the CM-3020 will be your best bet. However, it is very directional, so you may miss out on some weaker stations coming from other directions. The CM-3016 will do a better job with off-direction stations, but has less gain overall. If aimed properly, my CM-3016 is able to pick up WVER (VHF 9) from the neighboring market 62 miles away (1Edge). In this configuration, it still receives about 3/4 of the local stations (25 miles away) off the back of the antenna.

Note that at 60 miles the CM-3016 will probably work, but just barely. For me, WVER gets disrupted pretty easily with any sort of bad weather. Of course, my antenna is in an attic and my house is surrounded by trees, so you may do a little better. I'm sure the CM-3020 would work great and probably wouldn't even need a pre-amp, just bear in mind the directional constraints.

Finally, Winegard offers some great antennas as well. On paper the HD 8200U will beat the CM-3020, especially for VHF-Lo stations. It's huge and expensive. Winegard used to have a bunch of smaller products, but they seem to have been discontinued.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Hdb91xg likes this.
post #19934 of 20467 Old 03-25-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiChemE View Post
I suspect you will be disappointed with the Clearstream 5. It sounds like it might be a decent VHF antenna for it's size, but small VHF antennas are traditionally very poor. Since size doesn't seem to be your primary concern, there are better options. The DB8e is an excellent UHF antenna, but is quite large and expensive. You'd probably be better off with one of the Channel Master antennas, which give VHF and UHF in a single package:

CM-3016 (This does great for me as an attic mount about 25 miles out)
CM-3018
CM-3020

The choice between these really depends on your budget and your exact situation. If all the target stations are in the same direction, the CM-3020 will be your best bet. However, it is very directional, so you may miss out on some weaker stations coming from other directions. The CM-3016 will do a better job with off-direction stations, but has less gain overall. If aimed properly, my CM-3016 is able to pick up WVER (VHF 9) from the neighboring market 62 miles away (1Edge). In this configuration, it still receives about 3/4 of the local stations (25 miles away) off the back of the antenna.

Note that at 60 miles the CM-3016 will probably work, but just barely. For me, WVER gets disrupted pretty easily with any sort of bad weather. Of course, my antenna is in an attic and my house is surrounded by trees, so you may do a little better. I'm sure the CM-3020 would work great and probably wouldn't even need a pre-amp, just bear in mind the directional constraints.

Finally, Winegard offers some great antennas as well. On paper the HD 8200U will beat the CM-3020, especially for VHF-Lo stations. It's huge and expensive. Winegard used to have a bunch of smaller products, but they seem to have been discontinued.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Yes the Winegrud 8200U big yes if you're going too see low power vhf BROADCASTING station in your area I suggest it good luck and have a good day!
post #19935 of 20467 Old 03-31-2019, 04:52 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WJLP has made a change to 33.5, titled as Nuestra and described as Testing, to include a still image indicating that Court TV launches in May.
post #19936 of 20467 Old 04-22-2019, 07:12 PM

I found some updated information pertaining to the WEDW move. It looks like the FCC has ruled in favor of WEDW and has granted a COL change to Stamford. However it's not really clear from this document if WEDW will actually broadcast from Stamford or if the DTS application will be approved.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachme...-19-264A1.docx
post #19937 of 20467 Old 04-23-2019, 02:29 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
I found some updated information pertaining to the WEDW move. It looks like the FCC has ruled in favor of WEDW and has granted a COL change to Stamford. However it's not really clear from this document if WEDW will actually broadcast from Stamford or if the DTS application will be approved.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachme...-19-264A1.docx
Good wishes to Stamford, the third largest city in Connecticut, for becoming the community of license of a broadcast TV station.
post #19938 of 20467 Old 04-24-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logger-a View Post
Good wishes to Stamford, the third largest city in Connecticut, for becoming the community of license of a broadcast TV station.
Unfortunately, this comes at the expense of Bridgeport, Connecticut's most populous city, losing both of their TV stations in quick succession. This is all due to the desire of WZME's owners to get their OTA signal into NYC.
post #19939 of 20467 Old 04-24-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in CT View Post
Unfortunately, this comes at the expense of Bridgeport, Connecticut's most populous city, losing both of their TV stations in quick succession. This is all due to the desire of WZME's owners to get their OTA signal into NYC.
Bridgeport wouldn't really be losing anything. If the DTS gets approved the Trumbull transmitter would remain on the air in conjunction with the second transmitter at the ESB. If they decide to move the transmission facilities to Stamford that would still put a solid OTA signal into Bridgeport.
post #19940 of 20467 Old 04-25-2019, 02:32 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
According to the document that ansky212 provided a link to, "We also reiterate that our grant of the proposal will not deprive Bridgeport of its sole broadcast television service because Bridgeport will continue to be served by station WZME."
post #19941 of 20467 Old 04-26-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logger-a View Post
According to the document that ansky212 provided a link to, "We also reiterate that our grant of the proposal will not deprive Bridgeport of its sole broadcast television service because Bridgeport will continue to be served by station WZME."
So WZME will keep its CoL as Bridgeport while WEDW CoL will be changed to Stamford? That will work.
post #19942 of 20467 Old 04-26-2019, 06:32 PM

Court TV will debut on May 8th at 9am on WJLP 33.5. They have been airing a splash screen for the past week.
post #19943 of 20467 Old 04-26-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
So WZME will keep its CoL as Bridgeport while WEDW CoL will be changed to Stamford? That will work.
I don't know why you're so hung up on this. WZME airs no local programming whatsoever, so whether their COL is Stamford or Bridgeport makes no difference.
post #19944 of 20467 Old 04-27-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 70
WPXN has filed a "Request for Special Temporary Authority" to reduce its power
from 100kW down to 70kW!

The filing states that all UHF stations located on the 1WTC mast will have to
operate at reduced power until the Repack's Phase 4 transition is completed
by August 2nd.

Wonderful!

As I've mentioned before, somehow the Empire State Building was able to
make major changes on its mast during the middle of the night. Stations
would reduce power during that time and then in the morning, back to full
power.

Why go I have gnawing feeling that those wonderful people from Durst are
causing this because it's more expensive to have crews work in the middle
of the night?

UGH!
post #19945 of 20467 Old 04-27-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I don't know why you're so hung up on this. WZME airs no local programming whatsoever, so whether their COL is Stamford or Bridgeport makes no difference.
Other than civic pride, you are correct. CoL meant much more before deregulation.
post #19946 of 20467 Old 04-29-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post

The filing states that all UHF stations located on the 1WTC mast will have to
operate at reduced power until the Repack's Phase 4 transition is completed
by August 2nd.
Does anyone have a list of channels that are moving this summer? Is WLIW moving to WTC or is that next year?
post #19947 of 20467 Old 04-29-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone have a list of channels that are moving this summer? Is WLIW moving to WTC or is that next year?
https://www.rabbitears.info/

Has everything you ever wanted to know about OTA broadcasting.

WLIW is scheduled to move to 1WTC by August 2nd of this year, part of Phase 4.

The only station in the market which will be changing frequencies later is WNET.

This station is part of Phase 9 - the change to Channel 12 will take place by May 1, 2020.
post #19948 of 20467 Old 04-29-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:

The only station in the market which will be changing frequencies later is WNET.

This station is part of Phase 9 - the change to Channel 12 will take place by May 1, 2020.
Yes I'm very familiar with that website. For some reason I thought WNYW was moving to a different channel assignment this year.
post #19949 of 20467 Old 04-29-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I'm very familiar with that website. For some reason I thought WNYW was moving to a different channel assignment this year.
Under RabbitEars "Digital TV Market Listings" it shows that WNYW will move
to Channel 27.

It's all clearly shown there.
post #19950 of 20467 Old 04-29-2019, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

When this is done the only station that I care about that I won't be able to get is WLNY although now that they won't have ACC football and basketball anymore I'm not sure how much I will care going forward. I'm surprised that CBS hasn't put WLNY on a subchannel of WCBS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page