New York, NY - OTA - Page 686 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 579Likes

post #20551 of 20908 Old 11-24-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothe View Post
That doesn't really address my concern. I'm trying to determine if there's a RECENT change in signal strength or quality at the transmitter, or on my end.

Thanks for replying. You were the only one.

Rothe, I am receiving it just fine with my home built VHF 3 element Yagi I built just for NJTV and aimed at basking ridge.. It seems like an issue on your end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20552 of 20908 Old 11-24-2019, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 202
There's nothing on file about WNJB reducing power on their RF 8 signal. They're keeping the same facility they had since 2011.

The live bandscan in Queens doesn't show any recent changes:
https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/signal_...71/tuner1/WNJB

They do have an Aux facility lower on the tower, but if they were operating on that, the Queens bandscan would have shown a major drop in reception.

Last edited by KyL416; 11-24-2019 at 03:05 PM.
post #20553 of 20908 Old 11-24-2019, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in CT View Post
If it were trees/leaves, you would also be having trouble receiving the other UHF signals from WTC. The fact that WFSB is putting out one million watts, and Long Island Sound is barely degrading its signal (and in certain conditions will ENHANCE it), co-channel interference is definitely killing your WCBS signal. This makes me curious about whether you can receive WPXN (Ion) on RF channel 34 from WTC. I would think WTIC in Hartford would be messing with that signal too, even though theirs is only half as strong as WFSB.
Why would the cbs signal get better with the leaves down. Shouldn’t the leaves being down help to strengthen the fsb signal from Connecticut and so cbs should continue to not lock on?

I typically only pull in wtnh and wcct from across the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20554 of 20908 Old 11-24-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

When did you specifically get WCBS back? Did you get it back in October when they increased their power, or more recently in late November when all the leaves fell?

The leaves have their biggest effect when they are in the vicinity of the receiving antenna, so any trees between WFSB's tower and the Connecticut shoreline wouldn't be affecting you. Plus, since you are right across the street from the sound, what little trees exists in that direction between you and the sound wouldn't really affect how strong the interference from WFSB's signal is being received. It usually needs to be something more dense for it to affect things.

Last edited by KyL416; 11-24-2019 at 05:23 PM.
post #20555 of 20908 Old 11-24-2019, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Custer View Post
Why would the cbs signal get better with the leaves down. Shouldn’t the leaves being down help to strengthen the fsb signal from Connecticut and so cbs should continue to not lock on?

WCBS raised its power last month, so that is probably why it's coming in better. If you have a stand of trees in the path of the UHF TV signal you are trying to get, then yes, that could be part of the reason. The fact that you can receive WCCT in Hartford means co-channel interference is the prime suspect. The transmitters for WFSB & WTIC are nearby, with WFSB putting out more power than WCCT. I'm afraid that the only way you're going to receive WCBS consistently, is when their repeater on RF 22 in Long Island comes back on the air.
post #20556 of 20908 Old 11-26-2019, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyL416 View Post
Futher west the closer you get to the Nassau/Queens border is where they would have been served by WLNY's repeaters like the now defunct WMUN-CD and their Plainview repeater that, at least according to the FCC records, is still broadcasting on air via the analog WLIG-LP on channel 17 from the roof of their Melville Studio. I think I saw a trace of it when I was staying at a hotel in Commack in September, unfortunately my room was on the wrong side of the building and I was only using the small antenna that came with my Hauppauge USB stick, so it could have been electromechanical interference from the building. I'll try to check again next time I'm at my cousin's place in Wheatly Heights with my laptop, but if anyone else on LI wants to check if it's actually on air, it has a very small coverage area between exits 48-50 of the LIE:
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...62cf6212b6c0ea
I emailed someone who was listed as a Technical Representative for WLIG-LP in their most recent FCC filing (a 2013 Amendment to a Digital Flash Cut for LPTV Station Application), and they confirmed that "the station is currently broadcasting on analog channel 17 from its transmitter site in Melville, NY."

I live in Commack (about 10 miles from the transmitter and outside the coverage area shown), but there is no trace of any signal when I tune to channel 17 with a Hauppauge HVR-955Q. Like you, I was only using the small antenna that came with the tuner. I might drive down to Melville sometime and see what signal I get there.
KyL416 likes this.
post #20557 of 20908 Old 11-27-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am i seeing things, or are some programs on METV, such as Gunsmoke & Lost In Space, that were originally on FILM for 50 years now appear to look LIVE ON VIDEOTAPE on that network!! Santa Maria!
As if it weren't bad enough that the top & bottom of Lost in Space is chopped off to fit widescreen TVs(& they just had the NERVE to release DVD's that you can buy that are widescreen for this show!), now the above change from film to live video happens! What next??!!
It's kind of hard to describe just HOW you can tell Lost in Space looks live now - it just does!!!
& seeing that show like that bothers me!!! I do not like seeing it that way!!
Why would METV do that? I wonder if the widescreen dvd's look live too.
Imagine if Heroes & Icons decides to do that to Star Trek TOS(which i believe is still shown uncut, unlike on METV).
Best to buy the original DVD's or hope another LIS marathon comes to Decades & the shows are not cut, not chopped off top & bottom, or at the very LEAST not converted from film to "live tape"!
post #20558 of 20908 Old 11-27-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I feel for you, they also cut out scenes in the shows for time constraint, i was shocked when i saw star trek (tos) I think it was the doomsday machine, they cut the ending part, so can they put more advertising, wtf..
post #20559 of 20908 Old 11-28-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNorthNJ View Post
Am i seeing things, or are some programs on METV, such as Gunsmoke & Lost In Space, that were originally on FILM for 50 years now appear to look LIVE ON VIDEOTAPE on that network!!
I believe most (if not all) of the OTA classic TV diginets have had their show libraries DIGITIZED. No need to store physical media anywhere if it is all digital. That might be the reason for the "live on videotape" look.
post #20560 of 20908 Old 11-28-2019, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in CT View Post
I believe most (if not all) of the OTA classic TV diginets have had their show libraries DIGITIZED. No need to store physical media anywhere if it is all digital. That might be the reason for the "live on videotape" look.
Almost everything seen on broadcast TV that is archived content (reruns etc.) has been converted to digital. For viewing on the new LCD and plasma TV's, the *look* is being altered by a process called "film look", by 3rd party production companies. MeTV has been airing that type of product for awhile now.

You can read about it here, if you want to know the story behind the process...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_look
Brian in CT likes this.

Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Last edited by mrradiohead55; 11-28-2019 at 07:09 AM.
post #20561 of 20908 Old 11-28-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I happened to be on the LIE today so I brought my Hauppauge to see if I could get a signal for WLIG-LP. I can indeed confirm that WLIG-LP is still on the air. The signal was best between exits 48 and 49.

WLIG-LP is repeating WLNY. It was showing the same program as what was on WLNY at the time (The Verdict with Judge Hatchett). The only differences were the “PLAINVIEW, NY” bug shown at the bottom left of WLIG-LP’s feed (it’s city of license is Plainview according to the FCC website) and the fact that the WLIG-LP feed has no audio. I attached a screenshot of WLIG-LP from WinTV.

It’s pretty cool that there are still analog stations broadcasting on LI today. Thanks for pointing this out, @KyL416 !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	268E4BD5-1BAE-4FBB-812F-46846FF07EDD_1574965627621.png
Views:	47
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2646830  
KyL416 likes this.
post #20562 of 20908 Old 11-28-2019, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Why do we still have any stations on the air in analog in 2019? Would any cable companies even carry these stations if they're not a network affiliate?
post #20563 of 20908 Old 11-28-2019, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

They're LP stations, so it was already strictly optional for cable providers to carry them. Even digital LP and Class A stations have little chance of getting cable carriage unless they are affiliated with a major network, or a lesser network where there's local interest, like Azteca via WNYN-LD or WKOB-LD or Estrella via WASA-LD. Many of them are targetting audiences that don't subscribe to cable and carry ethnic or religious programming, or use it as a source of income via shopping/infomercials and/or brokered programming, while those networks they carry make their own seperate carriage deals directly with the various cable and satellite providers.

Much of them are still on analog because of budget reasons, now that the FCC opened up 399 funds for displaced LPTV stations, a bunch of them will use that funding to flashcut to digital. Then of course you got the numerous analog 6's like WNYZ-LP who will continue to operate as franken-FM stations on 87.7 until they are forced to switch to digital.

WLIG-LP is an oddball, it's a simulcast of WLNY which was sold to CBS. WLNY's other former repeaters were sold to 3rd parties that converted them to digital, one of which cashed out in the spectrum auction, while WLIG-LP is still owned by their former owners. They have a construction permit to flashcut to digital, but don't appear to be in any hurry to do so.

Last edited by KyL416; 11-28-2019 at 05:48 PM.
post #20564 of 20908 Old 11-29-2019, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Custer View Post

Crazy idea, try taking the one deflector on the back that is on the CT side, and somehow mount it 90 degrees, blocking the ct signal.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra H

FS Gen2 Nvidia shield TV 2017 version
post #20565 of 20908 Old 12-05-2019, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

WCBS filed the license to cover for their RF 22 translator.
Brian in CT likes this.
post #20566 of 20908 Old 12-08-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a question that is sort of off topic but I can't find the right forum to post it on. Anyone know where I can ask for help?

I was watching the Amazing Mrs. Maisal on Amazon prime on my Samsung 4K TV (Samsung 65" Class (64.5" Diag.) 4K UHD LED
LCD TV 65NU8) and noticed I could watch it in either 4K or 1080p.

So I experimented and tried both versions and I was surprised the 1080p version was sharper and brighter. Really good.

Watching the 4k version was a step backwards. Was not sharp and kind of dull.

Not sure what is going on. I have Optimum with 100+ internet service so I don't think my internet download is an issue.

The TV does have a picture setting to turn on HDR+ which I did. Did not do anything to help.

Last edited by LenL; 12-08-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #20567 of 20908 Old 12-08-2019, 12:28 PM

Your tv is edge lit television unlike full array led, so is not going to be bright on the whole screen as the former mentioned full array.
post #20568 of 20908 Old 12-08-2019, 01:06 PM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I am thinking about pulling the cord on DirectTV, because of their pricing. I used to use OTA (from Stony Brook), primarily for PBS. I got NJTV, WNET, WLIW, and others, but my wife objected to the poor audio quality from WNET (dropouts prevented her from understanding the entire thread). What changes have been made in the last, say 5 years, that might affect my decision? I'll go home and reorient my antenna and rescan, but what should I expect? Other stations I was able to get was all the high band VHF stations, but not able to get CBS, NBC, or FOX-5 on their new (then) UHF channels.

I understand TV Fool is wrong in many cases, but is there other software for searching for signal strength information?
post #20569 of 20908 Old 12-08-2019, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Use the search at Rabbitears.info:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php
Be sure to change the distance to 80 miles on the search, so we can see how much the Connecticut stations like WTIC and WFSB will affect you from across the sound.

The repack happened which would be the biggest thing, along with WNET and most of the major UHF stations moving to the new 1WTC with a larger coverage area instead of the Empire State Building. WCBS also now has a repeater from WLNY's tower, so that should be easier to get for you. WLIW also moved from Long Island to 1WTC so that will be harder for you to get, and NJTV now only transmits from the RF 8 signal in New Brunswick which is further west than WNJN's old UHF signal in Montclair.

WFUT/WXTV is still transmitting at reduced power from temporary facilities, but in Stony Brook you'll get both of them as subchannels on WFTY's signal.

WJLP also moved into the city on VHF 3 back in 2014, it has MeTV and a bunch of other subchannel networks, but you'll need a decent VHF-lo capable antenna to get that.

Last edited by KyL416; 12-08-2019 at 02:29 PM.
post #20570 of 20908 Old 12-09-2019, 04:51 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Thanks, KyL. After I did the rescan, there were NO PBS stations. WCBS and WNBC did appear (they hadn't been receivable by me before); WABC and WPIX were still there. So I guess I won't drop Direct TV. My antenna is a Wingard high-band VHF + UHF and I have a Channel Master CM-7777 preamp (I think). I purchased my devices from SolidSignal,com, and when I looked on their website to refresh my memory, all these devices are listed as discontinued. What products to OTA enthusiasts use now?
post #20571 of 20908 Old 12-09-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
With the terrible picture quality on Channels 4, 5, 7, we must have one of the worst in the nation. Channels 2 and 11 look great.
post #20572 of 20908 Old 12-09-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
Thanks, KyL. After I did the rescan, there were NO PBS stations. WCBS and WNBC did appear (they hadn't been receivable by me before); WABC and WPIX were still there. So I guess I won't drop Direct TV. My antenna is a Wingard high-band VHF + UHF and I have a Channel Master CM-7777 preamp (I think). I purchased my devices from SolidSignal,com, and when I looked on their website to refresh my memory, all these devices are listed as discontinued. What products to OTA enthusiasts use now?
NO PBS stations! You said you can receive WABC (RF 7) and WPIX (RF 11), but not WNET (RF 13) or WLIW (RF 32)? Can you manually tune your TV into RF channels 13 & 32 and see what kind of signal you're receiving? Also, you should be receiving WEDW (PBS on RF 21) from Bridgeport like gangbusters from across Long Island Sound, even with your antenna pointed at NYC. I made a signal search on RabbitEars.info using a point 25 feet above ground located in downtown Stony Brook. The results show the signal of WLIW being comparable to those of WNYW (RF 27) and WWOR (RF 25). Are you unable to receive the latter two stations as well?

After five years of non-use, I hope you made sure your antenna is in good shape (no bent or missing elements) & pointed in the correct direction (not confusing true north with magnetic north), and all your connections are in good shape (no corrosion). If so, you should also check on your preamp to see if it's still in working condition. Earlier this year, Channel Master moved their operations to Bulgaria. They just came out with a new and improved (their words) CM-7777 preamp. I plan on getting one to replace my old failing preamp. Maybe you should go to their website and check it out.

Lastly, what model of Winegard antenna do you have? It would be interesting to see what kind of UHF elements it has. From your description, it seems like it does better pulling in VHF signals.
post #20573 of 20908 Old 12-11-2019, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
I have a question that is sort of off topic but I can't find the right forum to post it on. Anyone know where I can ask for help?

I was watching the Amazing Mrs. Maisal on Amazon prime on my Samsung 4K TV (Samsung 65" Class (64.5" Diag.) 4K UHD LED

So I experimented and tried both versions and I was surprised the 1080p version was sharper and brighter. Really good.

Not sure what is going on. I have Optimum with 100+ internet service so I don't think my internet download is an issue.

The TV does have a picture setting to turn on HDR+ which I did. Did not do anything to help.
Not to delve too off topic since this is not an OTA issue, but it's likely that while your TV can support an HDR source, the display cannot adequately output the required brightness or color gamut. I have the same issue with my 4K TV, HDR looks like trash so I just have my Apple TV set to 4K SDR, which I'm perfectly content with.
post #20574 of 20908 Old 12-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Clogged Gutters!

A few weeks ago, I raised a question about NJTV reception. I was trying to determine if a recent change to my signal was at the transmitter end or at my end. Well, I found the problem: a clogged gutter!

My house is about 37 miles due south of the 1WTC. My antenna is mounted eight feet above a second story roof. The length of the house runs roughly north-and-south - the roofline points about 15 degrees east of true north. To pick up all of the Manhattan transmitters, as well as NJTV's New Brunswick transmitter about 45 degrees to the west for me, I have my antenna aimed about 10 degrees west of true north.

Now imagine extending a line forward from the boom of my antenna. That line would run directly above a 30 ft length of gutter that happened to be clogged with leaves, and thus filled with water, effectively creating a 5" x 4" x 30' water-filled reflecting element, right below the line of site between my antenna and the transmitter. It so severely diminished the signal strength of all of the VHF channels that I could only pick up the Manhattan transmitters by aiming spot-on towards them. That sacrificed off-axis NJTV reception. In fact, even aiming directly towards New Brunswick was not enough to recover NJTV.

I finally discovered the problem when I came home a few days ago during a heavy downpour, and saw that the gutter was overflowing. I have an extension pole that can reach up there, with a tool on the end that can pick leaves out of the gutter from ground level. As soon as I fixed that clog, the water crashed downwards, through a downpipe and onto the first floor roof directly above where I was standing. And I got a bath!

But I got my NJTV reception back.
darkegg likes this.

James Rothe
Monmouth County, NJ
(37 miles due S of Manhattan)
My Own OTA HDTV Experience: http://www.jimrothe.com/hdtv_ota/
post #20575 of 20908 Old 12-11-2019, 11:37 AM

So cool, so let me get it right, your tv cablel was in the gutter, you were getting a weak signal to your tv.

thats very weird. Lol

Last edited by Useeme1234; 12-12-2019 at 04:51 PM.
post #20576 of 20908 Old 12-12-2019, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Actually its not terribly surprising. UHD requires 3-4 times the bitrate of 1080p to match the same encode quality. If the bitrate is lower the encoder will filter more to reduce artifacts, and the codec its self (AVC or HEVC) has a deblocking filter that will reduce resolution. Its actually pretty common to have a lower resolution picture look sharper.
post #20577 of 20908 Old 12-15-2019, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWiz View Post
Actually its not terribly surprising. UHD requires 3-4 times the bitrate of 1080p to match the same encode quality. If the bitrate is lower the encoder will filter more to reduce artifacts, and the codec its self (AVC or HEVC) has a deblocking filter that will reduce resolution. Its actually pretty common to have a lower resolution picture look sharper.

I'd be trying a different HDMI cable - one that the manufacturer explicitly states that it can handle 4K UHD. I remember dealing with video problems when I went from 1080i to 1080p, and the problem was that the HDMI cable that I had been using reliably for years at 1080i was not up to the task of carrying 1080p. Same issue as stated above - higher resolution, greater bandwidth and higher frequencies to carry the signal.

James Rothe
Monmouth County, NJ
(37 miles due S of Manhattan)
My Own OTA HDTV Experience: http://www.jimrothe.com/hdtv_ota/
post #20578 of 20908 Old 12-16-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothe View Post
I'd be trying a different HDMI cable - one that the manufacturer explicitly states that it can handle 4K UHD. I remember dealing with video problems when I went from 1080i to 1080p, and the problem was that the HDMI cable that I had been using reliably for years at 1080i was not up to the task of carrying 1080p. Same issue as stated above - higher resolution, greater bandwidth and higher frequencies to carry the signal.

Rothe, HDMI cables are not involved. The Samsung Amazon app is stored in TV memory and getting the show directly from the internet fed by my router. This is sort of off topic however when OTA goes ATSC 3.0 and 4K content shows up issues like mine may be more relevant?
post #20579 of 20908 Old 12-16-2019, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Since the last few posts have absolutely nothing to do with New York OTA TV, it would probably be better suited to move that discussion to another forum such as: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/
post #20580 of 20908 Old 12-16-2019, 10:44 AM

I noticed the last 2nites that nbc4 goes off air, around 2am, anyone can tell me for sure if, theyre
doing maintenance, or am I losing signal. around 2-3 morning. Thxs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page