New York, NY - OTA - Page 686 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 541Likes

post #20551 of 20565 Old 11-24-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothe View Post
That doesn't really address my concern. I'm trying to determine if there's a RECENT change in signal strength or quality at the transmitter, or on my end.

Thanks for replying. You were the only one.

Rothe, I am receiving it just fine with my home built VHF 3 element Yagi I built just for NJTV and aimed at basking ridge.. It seems like an issue on your end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20552 of 20565 Old 11-24-2019, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 92
There's nothing on file about WNJB reducing power on their RF 8 signal. They're keeping the same facility they had since 2011.

The live bandscan in Queens doesn't show any recent changes:
https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/signal_...71/tuner1/WNJB

They do have an Aux facility lower on the tower, but if they were operating on that, the Queens bandscan would have shown a major drop in reception.

Last edited by KyL416; 11-24-2019 at 04:05 PM.
post #20553 of 20565 Old 11-24-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in CT View Post
If it were trees/leaves, you would also be having trouble receiving the other UHF signals from WTC. The fact that WFSB is putting out one million watts, and Long Island Sound is barely degrading its signal (and in certain conditions will ENHANCE it), co-channel interference is definitely killing your WCBS signal. This makes me curious about whether you can receive WPXN (Ion) on RF channel 34 from WTC. I would think WTIC in Hartford would be messing with that signal too, even though theirs is only half as strong as WFSB.
Why would the cbs signal get better with the leaves down. Shouldn’t the leaves being down help to strengthen the fsb signal from Connecticut and so cbs should continue to not lock on?

I typically only pull in wtnh and wcct from across the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20554 of 20565 Old 11-24-2019, 06:06 PM

When did you specifically get WCBS back? Did you get it back in October when they increased their power, or more recently in late November when all the leaves fell?

The leaves have their biggest effect when they are in the vicinity of the receiving antenna, so any trees between WFSB's tower and the Connecticut shoreline wouldn't be affecting you. Plus, since you are right across the street from the sound, what little trees exists in that direction between you and the sound wouldn't really affect how strong the interference from WFSB's signal is being received. It usually needs to be something more dense for it to affect things.

Last edited by KyL416; 11-24-2019 at 06:23 PM.
post #20555 of 20565 Old 11-24-2019, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Custer View Post
Why would the cbs signal get better with the leaves down. Shouldn’t the leaves being down help to strengthen the fsb signal from Connecticut and so cbs should continue to not lock on?

WCBS raised its power last month, so that is probably why it's coming in better. If you have a stand of trees in the path of the UHF TV signal you are trying to get, then yes, that could be part of the reason. The fact that you can receive WCCT in Hartford means co-channel interference is the prime suspect. The transmitters for WFSB & WTIC are nearby, with WFSB putting out more power than WCCT. I'm afraid that the only way you're going to receive WCBS consistently, is when their repeater on RF 22 in Long Island comes back on the air.
post #20556 of 20565 Old 11-26-2019, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyL416 View Post
Futher west the closer you get to the Nassau/Queens border is where they would have been served by WLNY's repeaters like the now defunct WMUN-CD and their Plainview repeater that, at least according to the FCC records, is still broadcasting on air via the analog WLIG-LP on channel 17 from the roof of their Melville Studio. I think I saw a trace of it when I was staying at a hotel in Commack in September, unfortunately my room was on the wrong side of the building and I was only using the small antenna that came with my Hauppauge USB stick, so it could have been electromechanical interference from the building. I'll try to check again next time I'm at my cousin's place in Wheatly Heights with my laptop, but if anyone else on LI wants to check if it's actually on air, it has a very small coverage area between exits 48-50 of the LIE:
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...62cf6212b6c0ea
I emailed someone who was listed as a Technical Representative for WLIG-LP in their most recent FCC filing (a 2013 Amendment to a Digital Flash Cut for LPTV Station Application), and they confirmed that "the station is currently broadcasting on analog channel 17 from its transmitter site in Melville, NY."

I live in Commack (about 10 miles from the transmitter and outside the coverage area shown), but there is no trace of any signal when I tune to channel 17 with a Hauppauge HVR-955Q. Like you, I was only using the small antenna that came with the tuner. I might drive down to Melville sometime and see what signal I get there.
KyL416 likes this.
post #20557 of 20565 Old 11-27-2019, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am i seeing things, or are some programs on METV, such as Gunsmoke & Lost In Space, that were originally on FILM for 50 years now appear to look LIVE ON VIDEOTAPE on that network!! Santa Maria!
As if it weren't bad enough that the top & bottom of Lost in Space is chopped off to fit widescreen TVs(& they just had the NERVE to release DVD's that you can buy that are widescreen for this show!), now the above change from film to live video happens! What next??!!
It's kind of hard to describe just HOW you can tell Lost in Space looks live now - it just does!!!
& seeing that show like that bothers me!!! I do not like seeing it that way!!
Why would METV do that? I wonder if the widescreen dvd's look live too.
Imagine if Heroes & Icons decides to do that to Star Trek TOS(which i believe is still shown uncut, unlike on METV).
Best to buy the original DVD's or hope another LIS marathon comes to Decades & the shows are not cut, not chopped off top & bottom, or at the very LEAST not converted from film to "live tape"!
post #20558 of 20565 Old 11-27-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I feel for you, they also cut out scenes in the shows for time constraint, i was shocked when i saw star trek (tos) I think it was the doomsday machine, they cut the ending part, so can they put more advertising, wtf..
post #20559 of 20565 Old 11-28-2019, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNorthNJ View Post
Am i seeing things, or are some programs on METV, such as Gunsmoke & Lost In Space, that were originally on FILM for 50 years now appear to look LIVE ON VIDEOTAPE on that network!!
I believe most (if not all) of the OTA classic TV diginets have had their show libraries DIGITIZED. No need to store physical media anywhere if it is all digital. That might be the reason for the "live on videotape" look.
post #20560 of 20565 Old 11-28-2019, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in CT View Post
I believe most (if not all) of the OTA classic TV diginets have had their show libraries DIGITIZED. No need to store physical media anywhere if it is all digital. That might be the reason for the "live on videotape" look.
Almost everything seen on broadcast TV that is archived content (reruns etc.) has been converted to digital. For viewing on the new LCD and plasma TV's, the *look* is being altered by a process called "film look", by 3rd party production companies. MeTV has been airing that type of product for awhile now.

You can read about it here, if you want to know the story behind the process...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_look
Brian in CT likes this.

Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Last edited by mrradiohead55; 11-28-2019 at 08:09 AM.
post #20561 of 20565 Old 11-28-2019, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I happened to be on the LIE today so I brought my Hauppauge to see if I could get a signal for WLIG-LP. I can indeed confirm that WLIG-LP is still on the air. The signal was best between exits 48 and 49.

WLIG-LP is repeating WLNY. It was showing the same program as what was on WLNY at the time (The Verdict with Judge Hatchett). The only differences were the “PLAINVIEW, NY” bug shown at the bottom left of WLIG-LP’s feed (it’s city of license is Plainview according to the FCC website) and the fact that the WLIG-LP feed has no audio. I attached a screenshot of WLIG-LP from WinTV.

It’s pretty cool that there are still analog stations broadcasting on LI today. Thanks for pointing this out, @KyL416 !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	268E4BD5-1BAE-4FBB-812F-46846FF07EDD_1574965627621.png
Views:	17
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2646830  
KyL416 likes this.
post #20562 of 20565 Old 11-28-2019, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Why do we still have any stations on the air in analog in 2019? Would any cable companies even carry these stations if they're not a network affiliate?
post #20563 of 20565 Old 11-28-2019, 06:30 PM

They're LP stations, so it was already strictly optional for cable providers to carry them. Even digital LP and Class A stations have little chance of getting cable carriage unless they are affiliated with a major network, or a lesser network where there's local interest, like Azteca via WNYN-LD or WKOB-LD or Estrella via WASA-LD. Many of them are targetting audiences that don't subscribe to cable and carry ethnic or religious programming, or use it as a source of income via shopping/infomercials and/or brokered programming, while those networks they carry make their own seperate carriage deals directly with the various cable and satellite providers.

Much of them are still on analog because of budget reasons, now that the FCC opened up 399 funds for displaced LPTV stations, a bunch of them will use that funding to flashcut to digital. Then of course you got the numerous analog 6's like WNYZ-LP who will continue to operate as franken-FM stations on 87.7 until they are forced to switch to digital.

WLIG-LP is an oddball, it's a simulcast of WLNY which was sold to CBS. WLNY's other former repeaters were sold to 3rd parties that converted them to digital, one of which cashed out in the spectrum auction, while WLIG-LP is still owned by their former owners. They have a construction permit to flashcut to digital, but don't appear to be in any hurry to do so.

Last edited by KyL416; 11-28-2019 at 06:48 PM.
post #20564 of 20565 Old 11-29-2019, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Custer View Post

Crazy idea, try taking the one deflector on the back that is on the CT side, and somehow mount it 90 degrees, blocking the ct signal.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra H

FS Gen2 Nvidia shield TV 2017 version
post #20565 of 20565 Old 12-05-2019, 12:46 PM

WCBS filed the license to cover for their RF 22 translator.
Brian in CT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page