Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 206 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #6151 of 8537 Old 11-14-2004, 11:45 AM
f44
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The WTTG Fox5 DT logo bug is too low and gets cut off at the bottom of the screen. Who can we contact to raise the bug?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 8537 Old 11-14-2004, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Bite your tonge. Actually the bug is just fine on my plasma. I'm guessing that your overscan is pushing it off the side.
post #6153 of 8537 Old 11-14-2004, 03:33 PM
f44
AVS Forum Special Member

How do I fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6154 of 8537 Old 11-14-2004, 03:45 PM

I will agree with steeler on this one. When I did my installation, I did not think that I would get near the results that I got. According to antennaweb, I also should not be getting much in the offerings of digital reception but I figured I would try it and if not successful, hire someone. My first step was to break out a compass and look around my house to see if there were any obstructions to the towers. When there was nothing in the direct path (trees or taller buildings), I figured I would try the install myself.

According to the web site, I live about 60 miles from the DC towers and 75 miles from Baltimore. My installation took 3 trips on the roof. The first trip was to mount and aim the antenna/rotor. Originally I did not want it to be that much over the roof, so the antenna barely cleared the chimney. After viewing for a few days, I noticed some stations would pixelate. After reading message boards, I found that raising the antenna might fix it, so I bought another 3 foot section of mast. The second trip on the roof was to loosen the bolts on the brackets so I could slide the mast section in place. The 3rd trip was to tighten the brackets again. After that, everything came in nice and strong. I can get both Washington and Baltimore ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, and Baltimore WB. If I rotate the antenna to Baltimore, WB54 will give me a 90 reading on my meter since they raised their power. I even get that low power MHZ station out of Fairfax pretty strong.

Like steeler, maybe I'm extremely lucky or my house was built on some magic OTA reception ground, but for me installing the antenna wasn't that difficult (and I don't have a construction background). My total installation cost was probably $95 (for antenna, cable, brackets, mast, and pre-amp).
post #6155 of 8537 Old 11-14-2004, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by f44
How do I fix it?
Depends on your set ... see appropriate forum for your TV (projection, direct view, etc.)

Note: Logo is perfectly cornered on my set.
post #6156 of 8537 Old 11-14-2004, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by f44
The WTTG Fox5 DT logo bug is too low and gets cut off at the bottom of the screen. Who can we contact to raise the bug?
Your display has too much overscan.

I agree with the others, the bug is perfectly placed. Far better than last year.

Regards,

Sasha Jevtich
post #6157 of 8537 Old 11-14-2004, 07:32 PM

Steeler,

If memory serves me correct I believe that you first tested your ota antenna on your front porch and got good signal levels on all Washington hdtv channels. In most cases people can not just simply pull out an antenna and point it toward Washington and receive good signals at ground level. This indicates that you are in a high signal area and that is not the case with most people. To get good reception most people must go high up on a roof and some need preamplifiers.

What a lot of people have been saying is that it is easy to install an antenna where the signal levels are high, but if the signal levels are not then that is where a installation by a professional with his experience and signal meters can make all the difference between whether you are able to get consistent, reliable ota reception.
post #6158 of 8537 Old 11-14-2004, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by darqice
I'm getting my 6412 dual tuner hdtv box installed tommorrow
So did you get the 6412 and if so, how do you like it?
post #6159 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by steeler
I am trying to get high speed Internet service at my house. My only reasonable option is (grumble, grumble ) CABLE. DSL is not available, Directway too expensive. I have called Aldephia my local cable provider four times this week. I talked to a CSR each time and they informed me that a site survey is needed before an install can progress.......fine. They said in every call that someone would call back either that day or the next to schedule. ... This is a Internet install but it could easily be a cable install. I usually don't use this word often but this is why I HATE cable companies.
Steeler,

I don't have any options for you, but if you decide to go with Adelphia (I just got the service with them 2 weeks ago and am very happy with the speed, installation was not impressive as I expected), I wanted to give you some info I got from the 3rd CSR I spoke with about pricing. I had called for the 26.95/month deal for 6 months and then going up to around $56 per month there after since I don't get cable from them. The CSR recommended I start with their premium service (up to 6 Mps downloads) which is $43 per month for one year and then after a month you can downgrade to the standard service (up to 3 Mps downloads) and get the 26.95 price for a full year. I have not made the call yet, but hopefully it will work. BTW, no annual agreement is needed with this price.

Johnson
post #6160 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by psuodu
Steeler,

I don't have any options for you, but if you decide to go with Adelphia (I just got the service with them 2 weeks ago and am very happy with the speed, installation was not impressive as I expected), I wanted to give you some info I got from the 3rd CSR I spoke with about pricing. I had called for the 26.95/month deal for 6 months and then going up to around $56 per month there after since I don't get cable from them. The CSR recommended I start with their premium service (up to 6 Mps downloads) which is $43 per month for one year and then after a month you can downgrade to the standard service (up to 3 Mps downloads) and get the 26.95 price for a full year. I have not made the call yet, but hopefully it will work. BTW, no annual agreement is needed with this price.
Johnson
psuodu, thanks for the info.......I was going to get the 26.95 deal for 6 months then downgrade. Use that for a while then decide what I eventually will get. I thought the lower service was 250 MPs up and down???? You can go to Circuit City now a get a free Motorola cable modem with new installs.
post #6161 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Um, comments on Adelphia HSI (high speed Internet...). I know you may not have a choice, but in order to keep your hopes realistic, you may want to take a look at the Adelphia HSI forum at www.broadbandreports.com (was/is www.dslreports.com). I have Verizon DSL and recently added Adelphia HSI to try it out (higher speed quoted, etc., cheaper price for 6 mos), and for backup. and was impressed for a bit, but the speed does/is crumbling.) Also, there are reports of the Premiere being *worse* for some. Go figure. See the forum there.

And now back to HDTV. :D

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #6162 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 07:11 AM

[quote]Originally posted by leesweet
[b]Um, comments on Adelphia HSI (high speed Internet...).

Thanks for the info, I knew that 6Mps was a pipedream (the CSR even admitted it, he was quoting a realistic speed btn 4-5 Mps), but until Ashburn/Verizon joins the 21st century and provides DSL it is much better than the dial-up I have been using. I had checked the DSLreports site, but could only find a couple of entries for Loudoun County.

I can't remember the up-stream rates, but I think the premiere was faster... 384 Vs. 256 maybe. I don't generally send a lot out, so it was not really a concern for me.

It's actually kind of funny, we use the cable company as an example at my office of how you must do your core business correctly before people will begin using you for ancilliary services, but I guess that only matters if there are reasonable options out there.
post #6163 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

There are several relevant threads for Adelphia/Loudoun HSI.... I'll post two, and stop hijacking this thread, since HSI sure isn't HDTV :) The second one "explains" why speeds are so slow around here right now... there's a router that's a bottleneck in Ashburn somewhere. Due to be fixed soon.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...2377~mode=flat
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...flat~days=9999

post #6164 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
I doubt that any affiliate out there in the nation has the capability to delay broadcast HD. I would imagine that the equipment required is just too expensive at time. We likely will see that being a possibility when HD takes on a bigger role in local programming. HD Syndicated shows, HD Local news, HD etc...

That stuff is still several years away. Local stations do not have the same budgets that the Networks have.
WUSA-DT showed 'delayed' HD content on Sunday ... "Cold Case" and "Category 6: Day of Destruction". Both were delayed approx. 15 minutes from the national feed due to the Skins game running long. Both were shown in HD.

Commented on in the following thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...20#post4658820

If this is evidence that WUSA has capacity for delaying HD broadcasts ... kudos to them. Hopefully our other locals will follow suit.
post #6165 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder if those were delayed by CBS nationally, or here locally by WUSA-DT?

Regards,

Sasha Jevtich
post #6166 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well considering the Redskins/Bengals game was NOT a national game and the rest of the country -except Cinncinnati- did not get a 4pm game on CBS (Fox had the doubleheader) I'd guess WUSA must of done something themselves or benefited from something new from CBS.
post #6167 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

[quote]Originally posted by psuodu
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
I had checked the DSLreports site, but could only find a couple of entries for Loudoun County.

Can you post that site, thanks.
post #6168 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well considering the Redskins/Bengals game was NOT a national game and the rest of the country -except Cinncinnati- did not get a 4pm game on CBS (Fox had the doubleheader) I'd guess WUSA must of done something themselves or benefited from something new from CBS.
post #6169 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sasha_j
I wonder if those were delayed by CBS nationally, or here locally by WUSA-DT?
The Baltimore CBS station broadcast without the 15 minute delay.
post #6170 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by steeler
Can you post that site, thanks.
steeler, see my above. www.dslreports.com (now renamed www.broadbandreports.com) is a goldmine of everything about DSL/Cable HSI/Satellite HSI/VoIP, etc. into the night. See the tools, forums, etc. I've used it for many years.

As for the CBS delayed b'cast. If the net doesn't do this, how is it done?! I thought it was the net, also. They sure bump the whole night's sked back x minutes when it happens.

post #6171 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dg28
Well considering the Redskins/Bengals game was NOT a national game and the rest of the country -except Cinncinnati- did not get a 4pm game on CBS (Fox had the doubleheader) .....
Why did WTTG only show 1 game yesterday since FOX had the doubleheader?

Chris
post #6172 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

WTTG did not show a 4pm game because that would have put them up against the Redskin's 4pm game. That would have been a no no. NFL broadcast rules have the home team's games run unopposed in their home market.
post #6173 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wheeler1629
Why did WTTG only show 1 game yesterday since FOX had the doubleheader?
Funky NFL broadcasting rules. I forget all the details ... but ... basically it comes down to the Redskins game = why WTTG could only show one game yesterday.
post #6174 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
NFL broadcast rules have the home team's games run unopposed in their home market.
Subject to funky situations ...

WUSA (CBS) did run a game opposite a WTTG (Fox) Redskins earlier this year. CBS didn't have any 'late' games that day ... forget exactly why (poor scheduling ... or perhaps the 'late' game was supposed to be a moved Miami game).
post #6175 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 11:51 AM

I am having reception issues w. HDNet, HDMovies and ESPNHD. The sound for these channels flashes in and out every 2-3 seconds. The screen 'pixilates' every few seconds as well. This doesn't happen on any of the broadcast channels or on HBO/Starz, InHD or InHD2. Anyone else with similar issues???

Thx
post #6176 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
As for the CBS delayed b'cast. If the net doesn't do this, how is it done?!
It is possible for a local affiliate to time-shift a national feed. Here's a few products that would do it:
http://www.doremilabs.com/

Other manufacturers make similar (very expensive) products ...

Record the original ... then play it back later.

Heck ... hook up a DVHS deck. Ok, I probably wouldn't trust my broadcast to DVHS. :)

According to the following post, CBS prefeeds Sunday primetime in HD on Sunday mornings.
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...20#post4658820

This would make the 'local delay' easier (cheaper) to do as products that allow you to record and then later play back are a little less expensive than products that allow you to simultaniously record and play back at the same time.
post #6177 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

WB50 Wizards HDTV schedule

I just received word from WB50 about their Wizard's HDTV schedule this season. Of course there aren't any Capitals games to include this year since they're not playing.

Code:
Sunday,  12/12/04    New Orleans Hornets @ Wizards     1:00pm
Sunday,    1/2/05    Atlanta Hawks @ Wizards          12:00pm
Thursday,  1/6/05    Seattle SuperSonics @ Wizards     7:00pm
Saturday,  1/8/05    Minnesota Timberwolves @ Wizards  7:00pm
Tuesday,   2/1/05    Detroit Pistons @ Wizards         7:00pm
Saturday,  4/9/05    Philadelphia 76ers @ Wizards      7:00pm
post #6178 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 58
pennstatefan, What antenna did you buy?
post #6179 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by dt_dc
It is possible for a local affiliate to time-shift a national feed.
Hm.... I'd thought I had read here that the local affils didn't do this, and it was the nets that did it. I've lost track now.

Edit: Just read that ref'd thread, thanks. I think I'd seen DrDon's similar comments somewhere else earlier, and perhaps I was confused (not the first time...). So some stations record the AM feed, some record it in SD, and are screwed if they are delayed at night.... (from the sound of that thread, glad I didn't watch Cat6: DoD!).

post #6180 of 8537 Old 11-15-2004, 02:21 PM

Quote:
WTTG did not show a 4pm game because that would have put them up against the Redskin's 4pm game. That would have been a no no. NFL broadcast rules have the home team's games run unopposed in their home market.
Why does that affect DC and not Baltimore? At 1pm yesterday WJZ-CBS showed the Ravens game while WBFF-FOX showed Tampa-Atlanta. As far as I can recall in Baltimore there has always been 3 games shown on Sunday afternoon, regardless of the Ravens. I'm just trying to make sense of the broadcast rules. If the answer is that they don't make sense, well than I'll believe that.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page