Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 8537 Old 03-15-2004, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by dg28
Interesting that on D* today, the MD/Duke game (yeah Terps!) was not blacked out on ESPNHD; it was blacked out on ESPN. With the games being shown on WDCA through Jefferson Pilot, all of the ESPN national broadcasts of the ACC Tournmament were supposed to be blacked out in this area. Even though it was s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d and an upconvert, the picture was far superior to WDCA.
That would have been nice to see. It was blacked out in where I am. But it was ok, I saw enough of my team losing, didn't need to see more.

:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 8537 Old 03-15-2004, 05:14 PM

Is WMPT (42) causing strange things to happen to anyone else's receiver? On my T150, it causes the box to reset itself every 10-15 minutes. Its the only channel that causes this behavior. Since it only happens on WMPT, I tend to believe the problem is caused by the station and not the receiver. I just havn't noticed any other mention of the problem here.

Jeff
post #2253 of 8537 Old 03-15-2004, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 52
MPT is working just fine for me. Sorry. I have a Dish 6000 BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2254 of 8537 Old 03-15-2004, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by tahoerob
You can manually add stations by call sign to your titan listing
I guess I am missing something. How does changing the call sign from WMAR-RD to WMAR-DT give me the correct show listings? The information is still wrong.
:confused:

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
post #2255 of 8537 Old 03-15-2004, 09:53 PM

I just hooked up my OTA the other day and have my CM4228 antenna in my attic. I've noticed that I can get WBAL NBC fine during the day and early evening with a signal strength of about 62 on my Dish 811 box. After about 8PM, I lose the signal completely. Is WBAL lowering their power output at night or am I experiencing some other issue? If they are lowering their power, are they planning to increase it anytime soon. I hate losing NBC during prime time.
post #2256 of 8537 Old 03-16-2004, 12:39 AM

finally i got wmar with 2n out door antenna.
but here's a question, i have to use my first one...that means i have to use 2 antennas and i don't want to re-connect the antenna every time when i change the channel....
is there anyway to combine both of uhf signal to one?
thx u guys....
post #2257 of 8537 Old 03-16-2004, 04:29 AM

You can use a joiner but I recommend against that because your signals will be mixed from both antennas casuing all kinds of problems. I would get a remote a/b switch ($30) from radio shack. This way you can switch antennas with a push of a button. Jeff
post #2258 of 8537 Old 03-16-2004, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally posted by jswclw
Is WMPT (42) causing strange things to happen to anyone else's receiver? On my T150, it causes the box to reset itself every 10-15 minutes. Its the only channel that causes this behavior.
That station causes my 6000 to lock up and then drop every WMPT sub-channel from the OTA guide if I select a sub-channel that is not broadcasting at that moment. That is the only station that does that indicating to me that there is some strange stuff in its PSIP info.
post #2259 of 8537 Old 03-16-2004, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NightHawk
That station causes my 6000 to lock up and then drop every WMPT sub-channel from the OTA guide if I select a sub-channel that is not broadcasting at that moment. That is the only station that does that indicating to me that there is some strange stuff in its PSIP info.
Similar strangeness on my T150 as well, but it doesn't lockup. Instead, if I go to 22-6 when there is nothing on 22-6, the box will act as if I have gone to 22 for the first time, remember a new set of sub-channels (although its the same as before), and finally display 22-2.

This is quite different from the initial problem I wrote about. The initial problem causes something more like a hard-reset. It started with 4 or 5 rapid replays of the last 1/2 second of audio, then a hissing sound for a second or 2, then the screen goes blue for 2-3 seconds while the receiver re-acquires the station.

Definitely not a reception problem. Only noticed it for about the last week. Only happens on channel 22.

Jeff
post #2260 of 8537 Old 03-16-2004, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally posted by jswclw
This is quite different from the initial problem I wrote about. The initial problem causes something more like a hard-reset. It started with 4 or 5 rapid replays of the last 1/2 second of audio, then a hissing sound for a second or 2, then the screen goes blue for 2-3 seconds while the receiver re-acquires the station.
Pretty bizarre. Haven't seen that one yet. Problems that are unique to 42 may have some common root cause however like encoder difficulties.
post #2261 of 8537 Old 03-16-2004, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wrote an e-mail to WJZ13 asking if all of this Friday and Sunday's NCAA tournament HDTV games from Kansas City would be on their digital channel as they were last year. In other words, will they show the HDTV games on their digital channel regardless of which game is showing on their analog channel? This is apparently an option CBS O&O stations have.

Their response: "Probably."
post #2262 of 8537 Old 03-16-2004, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone have info. on or experience with the PACE STB with DVI? I am supposed to get it soon to replace the SA3100HD POJ. Specifically, how's the PQ, any issues with the DVI connection, etc?
post #2263 of 8537 Old 03-16-2004, 09:13 PM

what's up with the audio on wmar 2-1? the 11:00 news has the audio track to a sitcom running underneath the broadcast, must be the west coast feed... i've been watching for 15 minutes, you'd think someone at the station would've noticed by now - or not, apparently
post #2264 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 07:47 AM

I have seen past mention of this issue on here. But was anybody else watching the Lehigh vs. FL A&M basketball on ESPN HD last night?
Pplleeaassee tell me that was not an HD broadcast? When I switched back and forth between the ESPN analog and the ESPNHD (via Comcast)...yes I could noticeably see a difference in PQ.
BUT it wasn't very good IMO for HD content...am I the only one who just, overall feels their PQ is mediocre at best? :confused:

-Brian

After I saw Lord of the Rings...I knew my current home theater system was not going to suffice!

My passion for electronics is in the research of the products as much as it is enjoying it after I have bought it.
post #2265 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LOTR_GUY
I have seen past mention of this issue on here. But was anybody else watching the Lehigh vs. FL A&M basketball on ESPN HD last night?
Pplleeaassee tell me that was not an HD broadcast? When I switched back and forth between the ESPN analog and the ESPNHD (via Comcast)...yes I could noticeably see a difference in PQ.
BUT it wasn't very good IMO for HD content...am I the only one who just, overall feels their PQ is mediocre at best? :confused: -Brian
It was NOT HD. Everything on ESPN HD is not HD. In fact, very few things are HD at this point. You were seeing an up-convert of the regular SD programming, which looked marginal at best last night.
post #2266 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally posted by djackd
finally i got wmar with 2n out door antenna.
but here's a question, i have to use my first one...that means i have to use 2 antennas and i don't want to re-connect the antenna every time when i change the channel....
is there anyway to combine both of uhf signal to one?
thx u guys....
Look into the Channel Master Joina-Terra adapters. They're basically band pass filters to help you combine 2 antennas.
post #2267 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GreyGhost00
It was NOT HD. Everything on ESPN HD is not HD. In fact, very few things are HD at this point. You were seeing an up-convert of the regular SD programming, which looked marginal at best last night.
Thanks GreyGhost00,
Lets hope they get their act together & start showing more true HD content. *yells* COME ON ESPN GET ON THE BALL! (no pun intended :D )

After I saw Lord of the Rings...I knew my current home theater system was not going to suffice!

My passion for electronics is in the research of the products as much as it is enjoying it after I have bought it.
post #2268 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I live in Alexandria and normally get the DC HD feeds OTA. This week I setup HD at the school I work at in Baltimore and there are some quirks up here that I am noticing. In DC all the stations do some sort of stretch for 4:3 content. In Balt, one station has grey bars, and two have black. However one of them seems very much off center with the bars. Then there are the channel bugs, channel 11 is closer to the center of picture than the edge. I just found this a little odd. I only see this stations during the daytime and not prime time, is it better then with HD content?

Oh it is nice being >2 miles from the towers, no siignal strength problems.
post #2269 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hoyty.

The DC stations don't do the stretch. WB50 used to, but stopped. WDCA-DT might, but I can't pick it up, so I don't know.

In Baltimore, 13 WJZ does the gray bars, 11 WBAL does a partial zoom in, and 2 WMAR does HD, SD, and Radar all at the same time.

So if you are seeing some kind of stretch on your DC stations, the its likely some setting in your equipment.

The bugs stay in the same place during primetime, but the pictures of course look much better than what you'll see in the day time.
post #2270 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Guys, I think my Sam 165 STB is having trouble outputting 5.1 discrete over the digital coax connection. I can't remember what station outputs 5.1 discrete? I am going to test it tonight. Can I expect any 5.1 discrete OTA tonight?

Thanks for the help.

E. J.

Get a good deal on the Algorenet? Don't come crying to me when you need it fixed.
post #2271 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ejfiii
I can't remember what station outputs 5.1 discrete? I am going to test it tonight. Can I expect any 5.1 discrete OTA tonight?

E. J.
Stephen King's `Kingdom Hospital'
10pm
WMAR-DT

Regards,

Sasha Jevtich
post #2272 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

E. J.,

Can you get WMAR?
post #2273 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys. I get all the DC and Bal. stations, so yes, I get 2-1. I can never keep all the call signs straight.

Will that movie/show not be in 5.1 on 7-1? Maybe I remember reading that here in the past.

Thanks for the help.

E. J.

Get a good deal on the Algorenet? Don't come crying to me when you need it fixed.
post #2274 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

WJLA-DT does not pass along 5.1 audio. From what I've read on this forum, seems to be a corporate cheapness issue...

Regards,

Sasha Jevtich
post #2275 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thangs Sasha. You know, I just had a thought. If WMAR is the only station that broadcasts in 5.1, then maybe the 165 STB is working fine - just in non discrete all the time since I never watch WMAR. But the box is confusing as it seems like the Dolby and Digital light on the front are always lit during HD. Maybe that is just Dolby 2.0?

At any rate, I will try it tonight. Thanks again.

E. J.

post #2276 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sasha_j
WJLA-DT does not pass along 5.1 audio. From what I've read on this forum, seems to be a corporate cheapness issue...
Here in Winchester I get WHSV ABC out of Harrisonburg, VA. They DO stretch non HD content BUT they have a 5.1 encoder!!

Thus for HD shows, I get normal 16*9 & 5.1DD!!

Robert A.
post #2277 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, that was one of the weirdest troubleshooting sessions I have had. Seems the SAM165 digital coax out was bad, as was the digital coax in on my Rotel receiver I was trying. So I used a optical to coax converter out of the 165 into the final unused coax in on the receiver and BINGO! DD5.1.

Thanks again.

E. J.

post #2278 of 8537 Old 03-17-2004, 08:56 PM

In regards to the PACE HD box there are a few noticeable differences.
Positives are having both Digital Coax and the Optical output out. Inputs on the back where you can hook your DVD into it and instead of changing your TV's source to watch a DVD(shutting off the PACE box enables DVD watching ability) is also another positive.

Negatives, I notice the color via component(slightly) fading bright to dull(this could be just the lighting of the programs I am watching and their use of light while filiming for SD?). There is no coaxial(RF) out and thus if you have a TV card in your computer you'll have to get a modulator to view cable through the card. Also, just noticed as Comcast launched a trivia channel that with my Pace Box I can not play or enjoy such channel with the Pace box(called and told a software upgraded will be provided in the future..but rep didnt say when??). My 3100HD box the trivia channel works fine for me there though, so i play it there.

Sorry, I don't own a TV with DVI. Overall each box has its positives and negatives. I wouldnt say the 3100HD is a POJ for I never noticed the color changing bright to light on that one and again I have trivia channel access on that one. Cheers
post #2279 of 8537 Old 03-18-2004, 08:42 AM

I was flipping through the channels yesterday and came upon Kingdom Hospital on ABS's hidef channel. Weird thing though the picture was a static 4x3 image of a Carnival cruise commercial that seemed like it was stuck. The audio was obviously from the show. It was like this the entire time. Anyone else get this or know what it was?

Jason Yang
Digital Studios, http://www.godigitalstudios.com
post #2280 of 8537 Old 03-18-2004, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I only get that when my tuner hangs on some kind of dropout. Usually going up and then back down channels will reset the "stuck" channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page