335Likes

post #11881 of 11937 Old 05-29-2019, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel99 View Post
WFXT had moved earlier this year from the Candelabra tower to a temporary antenna on the CBS tower so that the top of the Candelabra tower could be safely rebuilt with a new master antenna. WFXT was the only remaining station there. When the new master is ready, WGBH, WGBX, WBZ, WCVB, and WSBK will move from the CBS tower to the Candelabra tower, along with WFXT. That will allow the master antenna at the top of the CBS tower to be replaced. Once that is completed, WGBX, WBZ, WCVB, and WSBK will move back to the CBS tower. They will be joined there by WNEU (NBCBoston) moving from NH, and WUTF moving from Boylston, MA. WGBH will remain on the Candelabra tower where they will be broadcasting on real ch. 5. Though not yet approved by the FCC, WUNI will probably move from Hudson, MA to the Candelabra tower.

It is possible that some work has begun on the CBS tower, affecting the signals of WBZ, WFXT, etc.
Thanks. I wish I knew where to get this kind of info. I heard back from the director of engineering at WFXT. I don't believe the part about operating at the same power level. Someone posted on the ch 25 facebook page that they live 10 miles from the tower and they no longer get a signal.

"We have been operating from an interim location since November, and we're running at normal power levels. While the power level is slightly reduced from what it was a year ago, it shouldn't have had a significant impact for you.

If your reception has just changed in the last few days, then it's possible that you and your neighbors have some kind of local interference that has cropped up. This would definitely be abnormal and something that I'd like to learn more about.

Could you give me an idea of where you are in Nashua and what kind of antenna you are using?

By the way, when construction is completed on our new transmitter site at the beginning of August you should receive us clearer than ever."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11882 of 11937 Old 05-29-2019, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSmith View Post
I don't have a VHF antenna any more.
I'm in a slightly different position. I have separate UHF and VHF high antennas. The UHF is pointed toward Boston and VHF hi to channels 9/11 in NH. Luckily there are no changes to the NH VHF stations.

When the dust finally settles we will loose WGBH but since the NH and Boston PBS stations are now joined at the hip, due to lack of NH funding I assume it will not be a significant loss. I was surprised the move to VHF was done on WGBH rather then WGBX. Since WGBH is still being broadcast all the same must carry rules apply so it is only going to affect OTA not Cable or Sat.

/Tom
wizwor likes this.
post #11883 of 11937 Old 05-29-2019, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm00k View Post
"We have been operating from an interim location since November, and we're running at normal power levels. While the power level is slightly reduced from what it was a year ago, it shouldn't have had a significant impact for you.

Could you give me an idea of where you are in Nashua and what kind of antenna you are using?
We have also lost WFXT. Even though TVfool models it weaker than most other Boston stations it has been pretty reliable over they years even though we mostly watch PBS and WMUR.

I just assumed (know what they say) they are using a lower powered temporary transmitter.

/Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11884 of 11937 Old 05-29-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
You should be able to pick up NBC from WYCN Nashua ch 15-1 (real 36). WHDH-7 is still strong for me. 25 still weak to non-existent. WBZ-4 is back to good strength (which according to TVFOOL is noramally my strongest Boston ch). I was thinking there could be some new interference between Nashua and Boston but other Boston ch on the same direction are still good so that can't be it. I'm guessing tower issues with 25 so I might check out their website and inquire there.
WYCN (NBC Boston) hasn't been on RF channel 36 for quite some time. They are channel sharing with WGBX on RF channel 43 from Needham.
post #11885 of 11937 Old 05-29-2019, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Thanks. I wish I knew where to get this kind of info. I heard back from the director of engineering at WFXT. I don't believe the part about operating at the same power level. Someone posted on the ch 25 facebook page that they live 10 miles from the tower and they no longer get a signal.

If your reception has just changed in the last few days, then it's possible that you and your neighbors have some kind of local interference that has cropped up. This would definitely be abnormal and something that I'd like to learn more about...
Rabbitears.info has all of the info for every station on the site, or in links to FCC data. For example WFXT currently has 5 approved license applications - the original DTV license for 78 KW at Cabot St (Candelabra) and newer license for 780 KW there - the STA in use now for 280 KW from the CBS tower and the construction permit for the final location on Cabot st to use 1000 KW.

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...n=6463#station

(expand Technical Data)
wizwor likes this.
post #11886 of 11937 Old 05-30-2019, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ZZN View Post
WYCN (NBC Boston) hasn't been on RF channel 36 for quite some time. They are channel sharing with WGBX on RF channel 43 from Needham.
TVFOOL data that I was looking at must be old. Thought they were pretty much up to date I always thought but guess they need an update.
post #11887 of 11937 Old 05-30-2019, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
TVFOOL data that I was looking at must be old. Thought they were pretty much up to date I always thought but guess they need an update.
I don't think TV Fool has been updated in quite some time, possibly years. Rabbitears is updated virtually daily.
Tschmidt likes this.
post #11888 of 11937 Old 05-30-2019, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
TVFool has not been updated in two years. Also, some of the TV stations that should be in the database are missing.
post #11889 of 11937 Old 05-30-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
The owner of the TVFool site, once quite accurate, may have been overwhelmed by the large number of repack changes or just lost interest. The site functions but is using old FCC data from 2018. Some folks here, with the required skills, have volunteered to assist but have not received a positive response.
Tschmidt likes this.
post #11890 of 11937 Old 06-13-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Court TV?

Anyone receive CourtTV in the N. Boston Suburbs (I'm close to Boston along 93)? Court TV is running ads and its website affirmatively states that CourtTV is available in my zip code OTA : "GOOD NEWS! Court TV is available on WUTF channel 27.5!" But I get insufficient signal on the 27 subchannels. Is anyone receiving it?
post #11891 of 11937 Old 06-13-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Circle View Post
Anyone receive CourtTV in the N. Boston Suburbs (I'm close to Boston along 93)? Court TV is running ads and its website affirmatively states that CourtTV is available in my zip code OTA : "GOOD NEWS! Court TV is available on WUTF channel 27.5!" But I get insufficient signal on the 27 subchannels. Is anyone receiving it?
Yes, I'm pulling it in here in Epping NH (outside of Portsmouth NH) using ClearStream CVS2 antenna.
post #11892 of 11937 Old 06-13-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Yes, I'm pulling it in here in Epping NH (outside of Portsmouth NH) using ClearStream CVS2 antenna.
WUTF runs 270 KW from a 1535 foot tower in Boylston MA. When the new master antenna on the CBS tower in Needham is ready, they will move there with 970 KW at 1215 feet. Coverage maps on rabbitears.info show better coverage in the Epping area and much better coverage east of 93.
post #11893 of 11937 Old 06-14-2019, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 17
WUTF-TV...channel 66 licensed to Marlborough, MA?

Does WUNI-TV (UNI) channel 27 still use their site in Shrewsbury, MA? I think WAAF-FM 107.3 of Westborough, MA used to transmit from there. I'd often get a weak signal of them here in southern Hartford County, CT from that site.
post #11894 of 11937 Old 06-14-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINL71 View Post
Yes, in the analog era, they had their transmitter in that area near channel 27's. Both Worcester area transmitters were good at getting Grade-B signals to Boston and Springfield.
post #11895 of 11937 Old 06-14-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINL71 View Post

Does WUNI-TV (UNI) channel 27 still use their site in Shrewsbury, MA? I think WAAF-FM 107.3 of Westborough, MA used to transmit from there. I'd often get a weak signal of them here in southern Hartford County, CT from that site.
WUTF is licensed to Worcester with the current tower on Stiles Hill in Bolyston, but will be moving to the CBS tower in Needham.

WUNI is licensed to Marlborough with the current tower in Hudson. They have an FCC application to move to the candelabra tower in Needham. That tower is best referred to as the Cabot St tower, since the candelabra portion is mostly gone. WUNI is one of the stations not required to change real channels in the repack, so their move request probably has little priority.

WUNI and WUTF swapped licenses (and transmitters) a couple of years ago.
post #11896 of 11937 Old 06-15-2019, 08:23 AM

Court TV?

Quote:
WUTF runs 270 KW from a 1535 foot tower in Boylston MA. When the new master antenna on the CBS tower in Needham is ready, they will move there with 970 KW at 1215 feet. Coverage maps on rabbitears.info show better coverage in the Epping area and much better coverage east of 93.
I am not East of 93, but I assume that reception might be a bit better for me after the move. Any idea when that might occur?
post #11897 of 11937 Old 06-15-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I am not East of 93, but I assume that reception might be a bit better for me after the move. Any idea when that might occur?
This is the current Bolyston coverage from rabbitears.info map:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....=&cir=&circen=

This is the Needham coverage map:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....=&cir=&circen=

The circles show that the coverage will extend further east/northeast, and the shaded areas show that the strongest signal area (green) will be much more consistent.

For this to happen, the new master antenna has to be completed on the CBS tower. To allow that, WBZ, WCVB WSBK, and WGBX have to move temporarily to the the new antenna at the top of the Cabot St. tower, and WFXT and WGBH there permanently. Some of that work is probably in progress.
post #11898 of 11937 Old 06-17-2019, 06:45 AM

Court TV?

The rabbit ears information shows my house turning a solid green. Something to look forward to! Although, it sounds like we could all get sketchy reception of the major stations while the "musical transmitter location" game plays out.
post #11899 of 11937 Old 06-21-2019, 09:28 PM

WNEU moving to Needham soon

WNEU (NBC Boston) today requested an STA (Special Temporary Authority) to move, sometime prior to August 2, from South Mountain, NH to a temporarily located antenna on the CBS tower in Needham using their post repack channel 29. The antenna will be moved higher after the other construction on the tower is finished. The ch 34 transmitter in NH will be shut down. The move had been previously approved. This will add another full power station in the center of the Boston market.

This could create the odd, but temporary, situation that NBC Boston will have 3 transmitters on the same tower - WNEU, WYCN-CD (sharing with WGBX), and WBTS-LD. There may also be 3 Cozi's, 2 Telemundo's, and 2 TeleXitos's.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...6b763f182a0ecf
tveli and pnkflyd51 like this.
post #11900 of 11937 Old 06-22-2019, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
WNEU (NBC Boston) today requested an STA (Special Temporary Authority) to move, sometime prior to August 2, from South Mountain, NH to a temporarily located antenna on the CBS tower in Needham using their post repack channel 29. The antenna will be moved higher after the other construction on the tower is finished. The ch 34 transmitter in NH will be shut down. The move had been previously approved. This will add another full power station in the center of the Boston market.

This could create the odd, but temporary, situation that NBC Boston will have 3 transmitters on the same tower - WNEU, WYCN-CD (sharing with WGBX), and WBTS-LD. There may also be 3 Cozi's, 2 Telemundo's, and 2 TeleXitos's.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...6b763f182a0ecf
Keeping up with ION TV!
tveli likes this.
post #11901 of 11937 Old 06-25-2019, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello...

Was wondering if anyone knows what happened to WBPX-TV Boston (virtual channel 68, digital channel 32)...getting no signal as of yesterday.
These had the shopping stations as sub-channels (QVC, HSN) which I often would keep on for some background noise. Thanks for any info!
post #11902 of 11937 Old 06-25-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW WW View Post
Hello...

Was wondering if anyone knows what happened to WBPX-TV Boston (virtual channel 68, digital channel 32)...getting no signal as of yesterday.
These had the shopping stations as sub-channels (QVC, HSN) which I often would keep on for some background noise. Thanks for any info!
WBPX (and shared WDPX - ION Life) has moved from what has been their "real" channel 32 to their new repack "real" channel 22. You will probably need to rescan, though some sets can be fooled into updating by entering the repack channel 22 manually from the remote. There will be more "real" channel changes coming soon.
post #11903 of 11937 Old 06-25-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Keeping up with ION TV!
It didn't take long for the FCC to approve this (Tuesday).
post #11904 of 11937 Old 06-26-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
WBPX (and shared WDPX - ION Life) has moved from what has been their "real" channel 32 to their new repack "real" channel 22. You will probably need to rescan, though some sets can be fooled into updating by entering the repack channel 22 manually from the remote. There will be more "real" channel changes coming soon.

Really appreciate the info! Unfortunately it looks I'm not receiving a adequate signal for 22 (I can see it exists, but am just not getting enough strength to get a picture.) Do we know if the transmitter is up and running at full capacity yet? I'm on the South Shore btw...
post #11905 of 11937 Old 06-26-2019, 03:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
It's moved to the same tower as WUNI 66-1. Do you receive that station?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11906 of 11937 Old 06-26-2019, 05:12 AM

[QUOTE=Trip in VA;58227726]It's moved to the same tower as WUNI 66-1. Do you receive that station?

If that's the case, that would explain the problem...looks like the WUNI transmitter in Hudson, MA, which is another ~30 miles further in the wrong direction from WBPX's previous tower in Newton...

I think I've tuned in 66-1 briefly with some antenna contortions...maybe I'll try and see if an amplifier would make any difference.
post #11907 of 11937 Old 06-26-2019, 09:31 AM

I'm having the same problem as WW WW. I did a rescan and got the 68.x channels back. I live just north of Boston. The 66.x channels are also coming in. 56.2, 56.1, and 50.1 now come in without spurious phantom channels in between. Alas, the 27.x channels are present but unwatchable. Hopefully, that will resolve.

Having read about the various upcoming moves, I'm worried that I will lose PBS channels. Is this a valid worry?

I used Rabbit Ears a while back but read here that it is not up-to-date with the various repacking. Is there an easy way to try to keep abreast of what is happening?

How often do you suggest we re-scan? Weekly?
-ann
post #11908 of 11937 Old 06-26-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
I used Rabbit Ears a while back but read here that it is not up-to-date with the various repacking.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11909 of 11937 Old 06-26-2019, 10:10 AM

Court TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip
The site https://www.rabbitears.info/ used to have current information about available channels and signal strength, but with the repacking, I don't think it is reliable any more. How do you guys know about where all the channels are moving and when?
post #11910 of 11937 Old 06-26-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
The site https://www.rabbitears.info/ used to have current information about available channels and signal strength, but with the repacking, I don't think it is reliable any more. How do you guys know about where all the channels are moving and when?
It's TVFool that doesn't seem to be staying up to date.
Brian in CT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page