Boston, MA - OTA - Page 409 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 487Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12241 of 12501 Old 08-28-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoyGBiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Posts: 1,833
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post
....which is registered in rhode island to avoid Massachusetts tax?
You think RI tax is less???

SMK
RoyGBiv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12242 of 12501 Old 08-28-2019, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
tveli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: southern NH
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Reportedly for a $7M yacht, the tax is about $500,000 less if docked in RI compared to MA.
But aside from that approach for richy-rich folk, the new thing for regular people is living on a boat docked in east boston, dock fee/tax/thang is way-low-$ compared to rent or real estate.

In repack news I have alexa-recast, sling-air-tv, and tablo hooked up to attic UHF YAGI in southern NH and am happy to gather non-redundant info if it helps anyone adjust their klystrons. I am open to suggestions/requests if scan/channel-report is somehow useful. One goal is to record every sanford&son and all-in-the-family episode on all 3 devices.

Btw, the alexa and tablo are super-confused about channel mapping, like they have channels *transposed* from reality. We've seen that report here earlier. Tablo shows blank guide for bunch of channels. Sling's air-tv seems entirely non-confused but I have not done a full sweep of its OTA channels to see if any are transposed.

Seems like we should chill until the antenna shuffling is done and Scotty gets the dilithium klystrons back to full power. My strategy has been to ignore it as OTA TV is mostly ignorable in the summer except for Fox MLB games and preseason NFL. Summer is the best time to do the repack, alright.

I'm tired of rescanning x 3 , but will gladly do so on a chilly fall morning soon.

best regards to all.
tveli is offline  
post #12243 of 12501 Old 08-28-2019, 12:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Athlon646464's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uxbridge, MA
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post
Reportedly for a $7M yacht, the tax is about $500,000 less if docked in RI compared to MA.
But aside from that approach for richy-rich folk, the new thing for regular people is living on a boat docked in east boston, dock fee/tax/thang is way-low-$ compared to rent or real estate.

In repack news I have alexa-recast, sling-air-tv, and tablo hooked up to attic UHF YAGI in southern NH and am happy to gather non-redundant info if it helps anyone adjust their klystrons. I am open to suggestions/requests if scan/channel-report is somehow useful. One goal is to record every sanford&son and all-in-the-family episode on all 3 devices.

Btw, the alexa and tablo are super-confused about channel mapping, like they have channels *transposed* from reality. We've seen that report here earlier. Tablo shows blank guide for bunch of channels. Sling's air-tv seems entirely non-confused but I have not done a full sweep of its OTA channels to see if any are transposed.

Seems like we should chill until the antenna shuffling is done and Scotty gets the dilithium klystrons back to full power. My strategy has been to ignore it as OTA TV is mostly ignorable in the summer except for Fox MLB games and preseason NFL. Summer is the best time to do the repack, alright.

I'm tired of rescanning x 3 , but will gladly do so on a chilly fall morning soon.

best regards to all.
I had an issue with 15-1's (NBC Boston) guide data on my Tablo. I emailed their tech support opening up a ticket and they fixed it about 4 days later.

Tablo has great tech support in my experience with them.
wizwor likes this.

LG OLED65C7 | Denon S930H | Klipsch 5.1 setup - 2 Forte - 1 R-25C - 2 R-14S
BA Sub w/Bosch amp | Sony BDP S570
Tablo Dual LITE | Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V TV Antenna | RCA Preamp (TVPRAMP1R)
Athlon646464 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12244 of 12501 Old 08-28-2019, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Tschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Milford, NH
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
During rescan today another subchannel 4.3 turned up on WBZ but nobody is home yet. Rabbitears says it is DABL
Tschmidt is offline  
post #12245 of 12501 Old 08-28-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bac522's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschmidt View Post
During rescan today another subchannel 4.3 turned up on WBZ but nobody is home yet. Rabbitears says it is DABL
Maybe testing as I'm not seeing anything at the moment, just 4.1 and 4.2.
bac522 is offline  
post #12246 of 12501 Old 08-28-2019, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Channel99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post
Where is the accounting for where all the PBS $ went from the auction? If there are public funds used by PBS, mustn’t there be full public accounting?

Are there PBS executives and if so are they partying on Boston Harbor on an gargantuan new yacht named “Standard Def” which is registered in rhode island to avoid Massachusetts tax?
Here is the WGBH annual report:

http://reports.wgbh.org/2019/

Quote from the annual report:

"Eleanor Roosevelt said that the true purpose of education in a democracy is to produce citizens. Because education is at the very heart of public media, we consider that part of our purpose as well. Many children do not have access to a good education, but everyone has access to public media, and we embrace the opportunity to support learners of every age."

Last edited by Channel99; 08-28-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Channel99 is offline  
post #12247 of 12501 Old 08-28-2019, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
wizwor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Danville, NH
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post
Tablo has great tech support in my experience with them.
Amazon has India...
wizwor is offline  
post #12248 of 12501 Old 08-28-2019, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
wizwor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Danville, NH
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Ever watch PBS from 7-9pm? Me neither. For decades, I have been petitioning PBS to dedicate that block of time to children. Recruit celebrities to read bedtime stories and highlight the words as they are spoken. This could help break the cycle of ignorance whereby children of illiterate adults under perform in school. I have not ever received a response from PBS. I thought PBS Kids might take up this mantle, but the silence is deafening. PBS only cares about MONEY. Bank on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel99 View Post
Here is the WGBH annual report:

http://reports.wgbh.org/2019/

Quote from the annual report:

"Eleanor Roosevelt said that the true purpose of education in a democracy is to produce citizens. Because education is at the very heart of public media, we consider that part of our purpose as well. Many children do not have access to a good education, but everyone has access to public media, and we embrace the opportunity to support learners of every age."
wizwor is offline  
post #12249 of 12501 Old 09-05-2019, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Tschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Milford, NH
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I've lost WBZ the last few days. Found info on their website back in 2012 but nothing recent. Even though RabbitEars shows them at reduced power had been fine until recently.
Tschmidt is offline  
post #12250 of 12501 Old 09-05-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bac522's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Still very strong for me here in Epping, NH...well at least as of this post time.

Quote:
./monitor.sh 20
ch=auto:20 lock=none ss=100 snq=0 seq=0 bps=0 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=100 seq=100 bps=8577312 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=100 seq=100 bps=19494848 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19884384 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19494848 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19494848 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19494848 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19885888 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19493344 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19494848 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19494848 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19885888 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19494848 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19494848 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19494848 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19493344 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19885888 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19494848 pps=0
ch=auto:20 lock=8vsb ss=100 snq=98 seq=100 bps=19494848 pps=0
Tschmidt likes this.
bac522 is offline  
post #12251 of 12501 Old 09-06-2019, 06:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Tschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Milford, NH
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
WBZ is working fine for us this morning. The new 4.3 DABL channel has a slide with the name.
Tschmidt is offline  
post #12252 of 12501 Old 09-06-2019, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Red MC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I'm in Derry, NH and need some antenna advice. I'm linking a TV Fool analysis of my location for reference. I'm not sure how helpful it will be since TV Fool's database seems to be a few years out of date, but here it is:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90388b47effa32

I'm currently using a Clearstream 4 for UHF and a good FM Yagi antenna for (sorta) VHF. They are mounted on a rooftop with a tripod, mast, and a non-functioning rotor. The two antennas are combined at the mast, followed by 60 ft. run of RG6 into an HDHomeRun tuner. The signal is not split and I'm not using an amplifier. The Clearstream is pointed due South at the Needham tower which is 40 miles away. The other antenna is pointed at the WMUR transmitter in Goffstown. My house is located most of the way up a hill, which is a good thing. But the yard is surrounded by oak trees that are 50-75' tall, and the forest canopy seems to get thicker every year. Consequently, my reception has been getting poorer and poorer over time.

About 15 years ago, I put up the FM yagi with a rotor to pull in low power college radio stations. To my surprise, I was also able to pull in most of the major Boston TV stations even though they were UHF, which was great when the 2008 ice storm hit and we lost cable for 15 days. I could also receive several of them with a small indoor antenna. Then I had a new roof put on in 2013. At the time, I was getting poor reception of almost all of the Boston stations, so I added the Clearstream antenna. The Clearstream worked great at first, enough to convince my wife to cut the cable cord a few years later. But we've continued to observe declining reception, and the recent repack was the "last straw", so I have to do something.

My first thought was to take down what I've got now and replace it with a Channel Master 4228 pointed South. I like the fact that it's not too directional and receives VHF-High. I mainly care about the major Boston stations, which are UHF, along with WMUR and WENH, which are in the VHF-High band. But I wonder if it will be enough, considering I'm getting poor to fair reception from the Clearstream on a few Boston channels. Also, the VHF stations of interest are to the North and West. Even though they are only about 20 miles away, I worry that the reflector on the CM 4228 will knock them out if I keep it pointed South.

A second option would be to find a 4-bay or 8-bay UHF-only antenna, point it South, and combine it with a simple VHF dipole.

The third option is to get a high gain UHF/VHF antenna and a new rotor, but I'm hesitant to go this route for a few reasons. First, I'll need to spend the bucks for a good rotor that can take the twisting load of a 10-14' boom in the wind. Second, I'll be introducing yet one more remote control for my wife and kids to deal with when changing channels.

One last thought: the transmitters for all the Boston stations that I'm interested in are within ~45 deg of each other. If I could find a moderately directional UHF antenna having a beamwidth of about 45 degrees, maybe I could point it so that it covers all the Boston transmitters and skip the rotor. Does anybody know of such a thing? Beamwidth is a specification that's hard to find. Note I might still need to combine it with a VHF dipole to get WMUR and WENH.

Thoughts?

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active

Last edited by Red MC; 09-06-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Red MC is offline  
post #12253 of 12501 Old 09-06-2019, 08:25 PM
Member
 
Brian in CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Fairfield, Conn.
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Red MC : I'm not that knowledgeable about TV antennas, but I can let you know about a few things that could help your situation. First, use the "Search Map" tool on www.rabbitears.info. It is up to date and will give you a more accurate look at your signal situation. Second, some of the TV transmitters in the Boston area are using temporary transmitter sites at lower power. Tower crews were stretched thin during this last repack phase, so many final buildouts are yet to be in place. Third, as you probably know, trees/leaves absorb UHF signals. Being surrounded by tall trees (that you admit are getting denser) will complicate getting a good signal.

I'm sure you will get many responses on what you should do antenna wise. Hope you can salvage your situation.
Brian in CT is offline  
post #12254 of 12501 Old 09-06-2019, 10:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Channel99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
I'm in Derry, NH and need some antenna advice. I'm linking a TV Fool analysis of my location for reference. I'm not sure how helpful it will be since TV Fool's database seems to be a few years out of date, but here it is:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90388b47effa32

I'm currently using a Clearstream 4 for UHF and a good FM Yagi antenna for (sorta) VHF. They are mounted on a rooftop with a tripod, mast, and a non-functioning rotor. The two antennas are combined at the mast, followed by 60 ft. run of RG6 into an HDHomeRun tuner. The signal is not split and I'm not using an amplifier. The Clearstream is pointed due South at the Needham tower which is 40 miles away. The other antenna is pointed at the WMUR transmitter in Goffstown. My house is located most of the way up a hill, which is a good thing. But the yard is surrounded by oak trees that are 50-75' tall, and the forest canopy seems to get thicker every year. Consequently, my reception has been getting poorer and poorer over time.

About 15 years ago, I put up the FM yagi with a rotor to pull in low power college radio stations. To my surprise, I was also able to pull in most of the major Boston TV stations even though they were UHF, which was great when the 2008 ice storm hit and we lost cable for 15 days. I could also receive several of them with a small indoor antenna. Then I had a new roof put on in 2013. At the time, I was getting poor reception of almost all of the Boston stations, so I added the Clearstream antenna. The Clearstream worked great at first, enough to convince my wife to cut the cable cord a few years later. But we've continued to observe declining reception, and the recent repack was the "last straw", so I have to do something.

My first thought was to take down what I've got now and replace it with a Channel Master 4228 pointed South. I like the fact that it's not too directional and receives VHF-High. I mainly care about the major Boston stations, which are UHF, along with WMUR and WENH, which are in the VHF-High band. But I wonder if it will be enough, considering I'm getting poor to fair reception from the Clearstream on a few Boston channels. Also, the VHF stations of interest are to the North and West. Even though they are only about 20 miles away, I worry that the reflector on the CM 4228 will knock them out if I keep it pointed South.

A second option would be to find a 4-bay or 8-bay UHF-only antenna, point it South, and combine it with a simple VHF dipole.

The third option is to get a high gain UHF/VHF antenna and a new rotor, but I'm hesitant to go this route for a few reasons. First, I'll need to spend the bucks for a good rotor that can take the twisting load of a 10-14' boom in the wind. Second, I'll be introducing yet one more remote control for my wife and kids to deal with when changing channels.

One last thought: the transmitters for all the Boston stations that I'm interested in are within ~45 deg of each other. If I could find a moderately directional UHF antenna having a beamwidth of about 45 degrees, maybe I could point it so that it covers all the Boston transmitters and skip the rotor. Does anybody know of such a thing? Beamwidth is a specification that's hard to find. Note I might still need to combine it with a VHF dipole to get WMUR and WENH.

Thoughts?
You should be fine with a good directional UHF antenna, without a rotor, for all of the Needham stations (except for WGBH/WGBX HD on RF ch 5). The beamwidth should not be narrow enough to have a significant effect on the signal levels at 40 miles from 3 towers that are only a mile apart.

Except for WHDH which has not moved yet, all of the stations have some power limitations, dependent on the completion of the new master antenna on the CBS tower. The most affected being WUTF, which is running only 5% of it's eventual 950 KW power. So judging the future reception - you can probably assume that all of the signals will be at least as good as your best signal now.

For WENH and WMUR the separate dipole is the way go to.

TVFool has become nearly useless without updates since the repack has resulted in so many changes. As Brian in CT said, RabbitEars.info is the site to use now.
Channel99 is offline  
post #12255 of 12501 Old 09-07-2019, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bac522's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
I'm currently using a Clearstream 4 for UHF and a good FM Yagi antenna for (sorta) VHF. They are mounted on a rooftop with a tripod, mast, and a non-functioning rotor. The two antennas are combined at the mast, followed by 60 ft. run of RG6 into an HDHomeRun tuner. The signal is not split and I'm not using an amplifier. The Clearstream is pointed due South at the Needham tower which is 40 miles away. The other antenna is pointed at the WMUR transmitter in Goffstown. My house is located most of the way up a hill, which is a good thing. But the yard is surrounded by oak trees that are 50-75' tall, and the forest canopy seems to get thicker every year. Consequently, my reception has been getting poorer and poorer over time.
Well if trees are becoming your problem, might be tough with any antenna. But in general you should be fine with Clearstream 4, that's what I use and I'm further away from the towers here in Epping, NH plus I have to deal with 2edge. I also receive through a number of broad-leaf trees too.

If you think trees are a problem then you should see signal improvement in another month or so when the leaves drop.

You mention no amp so I would throw a pre-amp up on your current antenna first as a quick test...you should see a big improvement in signal levels.
tveli and Tschmidt like this.
bac522 is offline  
post #12256 of 12501 Old 09-07-2019, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
wizwor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Danville, NH
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
I'm currently using a Clearstream 4 for UHF and a good FM Yagi antenna for (sorta) VHF. They are mounted on a rooftop with a tripod, mast, and a non-functioning rotor. The two antennas are combined at the mast, followed by 60 ft. run of RG6 into an HDHomeRun tuner. The signal is not split and I'm not using an amplifier. The Clearstream is pointed due South at the Needham tower which is 40 miles away. The other antenna is pointed at the WMUR transmitter in Goffstown. My house is located most of the way up a hill, which is a good thing. But the yard is surrounded by oak trees that are 50-75' tall, and the forest canopy seems to get thicker every year. Consequently, my reception has been getting poorer and poorer over time.
First, collect some data about your current reception. The HDHomeRun Config software includes a tool for this...



If you lack signal strength, but have stable signal quality, an amp may help. If your strength is adequate, but the signal quality is fluctuating, an amp won't help.

Can you see the horizon through the trees? Above the trees? In my experience a 4228 or db8 style antenna sees better through trees as it has a larger reflection and collection area. If you can see above the trees, don't be afraid to angle your antenna up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
About 15 years ago, I put up the FM yagi with a rotor to pull in low power college radio stations. To my surprise, I was also able to pull in most of the major Boston TV stations even though they were UHF, which was great when the 2008 ice storm hit and we lost cable for 15 days. I could also receive several of them with a small indoor antenna. Then I had a new roof put on in 2013. At the time, I was getting poor reception of almost all of the Boston stations, so I added the Clearstream antenna. The Clearstream worked great at first, enough to convince my wife to cut the cable cord a few years later. But we've continued to observe declining reception, and the recent repack was the "last straw", so I have to do something.
As others have noted, some of the Boston stations are operating at lower power or on back up antennas at this time. It's also fall, so the leaves are still on the trees, full of water, and blowing around a bit. Things will improve even if you do nothing. If you have not done a channel scan on the hdhomerun since the repack, do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
My first thought was to take down what I've got now and replace it with a Channel Master 4228 pointed South. I like the fact that it's not too directional and receives VHF-High. I mainly care about the major Boston stations, which are UHF, along with WMUR and WENH, which are in the VHF-High band. But I wonder if it will be enough, considering I'm getting poor to fair reception from the Clearstream on a few Boston channels. Also, the VHF stations of interest are to the North and West. Even though they are only about 20 miles away, I worry that the reflector on the CM 4228 will knock them out if I keep it pointed South.
I'd be surprised you could receive WMUR with the 4228. I could not with my DB8. Worth a try, though. If it is not able to and you *really* want WMUR, you could couple that antenna with a VHF-HIGH antenna. Reflector did not stop me from picking up WENH from the back of a DB8 in my attic. (I'm in Danville.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
A second option would be to find a 4-bay or 8-bay UHF-only antenna, point it South, and combine it with a simple VHF dipole.
Or couple a vhf antenna to the 4228.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
The third option is to get a high gain UHF/VHF antenna and a new rotor, but I'm hesitant to go this route for a few reasons. First, I'll need to spend the bucks for a good rotor that can take the twisting load of a 10-14' boom in the wind. Second, I'll be introducing yet one more remote control for my wife and kids to deal with when changing channels.
Point that big antenna at Boston and you will probably pick up WMUR and WENH anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
One last thought: the transmitters for all the Boston stations that I'm interested in are within ~45 deg of each other. If I could find a moderately directional UHF antenna having a beamwidth of about 45 degrees, maybe I could point it so that it covers all the Boston transmitters and skip the rotor. Does anybody know of such a thing? Beamwidth is a specification that's hard to find. Note I might still need to combine it with a VHF dipole to get WMUR and WENH.
I don't think you need a rotor and you really don't want one if you have multiple sets or unattended DVR recording.

I suggest that you take a step back and decide what channels you really want. Divide these into bands (vhf-low, vhf-high, and uhf), and order by direction. Focus on the channels you want.

My WMUR and WENH are 67 degrees apart, yours are 74. I get both from inside my attic with a Stellar Labs 30-2476 pointed at WMUR. I get my Boston stations with a DB8e pointed right at WBZ. I couple them with an RCA TVPRAMP1Z Preamplifier.
tveli likes this.
wizwor is offline  
post #12257 of 12501 Old 09-07-2019, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Tschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Milford, NH
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
I'm in Derry, NH and need some antenna advice.
I'm in Milford NH and have a UHF antenna pointed towards Boston and a VHF-hi pointed toward WENH (weaker then WMUR). Both VHF NH stations come in fine. Agree with the other posts about using a preamp. No sense losing any of the signal between the antenna and TV.

By an large the repack has worked out well for us, even though some of the Boston stations are on temporary low power.

TVfool data has not been updated in a long time. Better to use the https://www.rabbitears.info/ site. It has current channel assignments and post repack. Most of the repack is complete in the Boston area but WLVI and WSBK are Phase 7 that completes in January.

I've posted info about my installation if you are interested:
http://www.tschmidt.com/writings/Outdoor_TV_antenna.pdf

Good luck
/tom
tveli likes this.
Tschmidt is offline  
post #12258 of 12501 Old 09-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
wizwor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Danville, NH
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschmidt View Post
I've posted info about my installation if you are interested:
http://www.tschmidt.com/writings/Outdoor_TV_antenna.pdf
Mind if I link this to my blog?
wizwor is offline  
post #12259 of 12501 Old 09-07-2019, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Tschmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Milford, NH
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Mind if I link this to my blog?
Fine with me. It has turned out to be one of the most popular articles I've posted on my site. For folks that don't like PDFs it is also posted as an HTML file.

Keep in mind, antenna installation is not my day job so so be skeptical of any of the technical details.

/tom
Tschmidt is offline  
post #12260 of 12501 Old 09-08-2019, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
wizwor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Danville, NH
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschmidt View Post
Keep in mind, antenna installation is not my day job so so be skeptical of any of the technical details.
None of us do this for a living. That's the reason for the blogs and forums. Thanks for helping!
Tschmidt likes this.
wizwor is offline  
post #12261 of 12501 Old 09-09-2019, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
tveli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: southern NH
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Tkudos to Tschmidt for the excellent article about antennas !
Tschmidt likes this.
tveli is offline  
post #12262 of 12501 Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Red MC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 243
First, let me say thanks to everyone for advice.

I switched from to TVFool.com to rabbitears.info, which appears to be up to date (yea!) but fairly pessimistic about what I can receive. It has me doubting whether a dipole would be enough to receive WMUR, which looks surprisingly weak even though it's only ~20 miles away. As I mentioned above, the stations I'm interested in are the major network affiliated Boston stations, WSBK (38), WMUR (9), and WENH (11). Regarding the trees, the antenna will have to point right through them. The tops of the trees are all well above the height of the antenna, mostly in the 50-70' height range but a few might be even higher. I definitely cannot see the horizon through the foliage, but even in winter when the leaves are down it's hard to see all the way to the horizon.

Also, I do not have a preamp, but I will be adding one. If I go with two antennas, I'm looking at the Channel Master Amplify+ "Pro". It has a UHF/combined input and a separate VHF input, which avoids a separate combiner. I hope it also means that there is gain before the combiner, but I'm not sure about that. If I go with a single antenna, I'll go with a less expensive amp but I think I want one that has variable or switchable gain.

Anyway, after more research and listening to the advice here, I'm down to deciding between separate UHF, VHF antennas on fixed mounts or a single combined UHF/VHF antenna with a rotator.

For UHF, I looked at the 8-bays (CM 4228, AD DB8, WG 8800), as well as the AD 91XG and a couple other yagis. I found some modeling results on hdtvprimer.com that led me to believe the 8-bays would have higher gain for low UHF and the yagis would be better for high UHF. The UHF channels I really care about range from 22 to 36, and the CM 4228 looks like the best option. It would be at the top of the mast about 40' above ground, pointed South at the Boston transmitters.

I noticed that the common VHF-high yagi antennas (e.g. YA-1713) are discontinued. I found the Stellar Labs 30-2476 used by wizwor, but based on this simulation, it looks like it's too directional to cover both WMUR (9) and WENH (11) from my location. I could try a dipole and see if I get lucky, but I'm leaning towards the Clearstream 5. It claims a 70 degree beamwidth and 7.6 dB gain which is a nice compromise for my situation. It would be mounted about 35' AGL and pointed Northwest.

With the two fixed antennas, I should be able to receive every station I wanted to with the exception of WGBH, which moved to VHF 5 in the repack. WGBH is a good use case for a single channel yagi, but the single channel and low VHF yagis I found from Blonder Tongue and Wade were too expensive. I'm not sure I'm up for DIY, but I might look into it. I would like to receive WGBH, but I guess I could live without it.

The other, single antenna option I'm considering is a Winegard HD8200U and a Yaesu G-450 rotator. The 8200U is a BIG antenna (14' long and 9' wide) and has about 6 dB of gain in low VHF and up to 14 dB in the lower UHF. I expect that to pull in everything in Boston and NH, and perhaps some of the Portland stations as well. This would be the best option if channel count were the only consideration. But it's expensive and I could see my wife getting annoyed by having to use the rotator a couple times a day.
Tschmidt likes this.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Red MC is offline  
post #12263 of 12501 Old 09-10-2019, 05:09 AM
Newbie
 
jcalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Swansea MA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had the same issue as most with the WGBH / X repack. I live in Swansea, about 50 miles due south of Boston. Reception was never a problem for any of the Boston stations with my roof mounted CM 4228. Once they moved to RF5, I lost the signal completely.
I wanted to see if there was something I could build that would work inside my attic space (house ridge faces N-S) that would be inexpensive and have enough gain to pick up the low frequency. I had built small 900mhz yagis before for the old Lucent wavelan wireless links so I am familiar with the design. I downloaded the yagi calculator and plugged in the numbers to see how big a 8db gain antenna would be at about 80 mhz. I found that if you design for a target frequency of 85mhz with 3 directors, you end up with a design that is just under 8 feet long and the largest length element (the reflector) was about 68" long. This design has enough gain and would fit in the narrow attic space and all the elements would fit in between the roof rafters.
I used 1/2" emt conduit for the reflector and three directors. The folded dipole was a simple design: 1/2" copper with 90 deg elbows. A regular 300 to 75 ohm matching transformer completes the dipole. Everything is mounted to a straight 2x4 stud. This wont be a problem indoors but would not last outside. A metal boom would be needed.

It is connected to the same feed as the CM4228 UHF antenna using a stellar labs VHF/UHF combiner.
It works well. I get about 65% signal daytime and about 50% at night. I did notice some dropouts during bad weather.
I will tweak the dipole dimensions to find what works best.
I have some pictures of the build in my gallery and will try to attach them here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RF5 yagi test.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2613382   Click image for larger version

Name:	RF5 yagi mounted in attic.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2613384  
wizwor and Tschmidt like this.
jcalis is offline  
post #12264 of 12501 Old 09-10-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 16,867
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalis View Post
It is connected to the same feed as the CM4228 UHF antenna using a stellar labs VHF/UHF combiner.
It works well. I get about 65% signal daytime and about 50% at night. I did notice some dropouts during bad weather.
I will tweak the dipole dimensions to find what works best.
I have some pictures of the build in my gallery and will try to attach them here.
Drop-outs due to lightning are normal on low-VHF.

I must say, this is very cool. Once you have it pinned down, I would be very interested in some dimensions so I could try to build my own at some point. Which yagi calculator are you using?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #12265 of 12501 Old 09-10-2019, 07:14 PM
Newbie
 
jcalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Swansea MA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I used the Yagi calculator by John Drew VK5DJ. It is free for personal use. Put in your pipe sizes and target frequency, # of directors and it will design the yagi for you. I am experimenting with the dipole length and I think I went too small on the last adjustment. I will probably bring the length back to what the calculator came up with.
This was the design specs I used:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yagi_85mhz.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	2613876  
Athlon646464 and wizwor like this.
jcalis is offline  
post #12266 of 12501 Old 09-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Senior Member
 
stephenju's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Framingham, MA
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved to a new place and put my old HDHomeRun OTA setup back together since I am now internet only with FIOS. I was scratching my head on why I can't get 2.1 when all other sub channels are available. Haha.

I am using a RCA flat indoor antenna and obviously it doesn't get any of the VHF signals. Can anyone recommend an indoor one that can get both VHF and UHF? I am in Framingham and about 9 miles from the antenna farm.

Thanks.
stephenju is offline  
post #12267 of 12501 Old 09-12-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 16,867
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 704
WGBH has requested an STA for more power. An increase from 6.7 kW to 34 kW.

- Trip
Athlon646464 and KyL416 like this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #12268 of 12501 Old 09-12-2019, 06:35 PM
Member
 
Brian in CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Fairfield, Conn.
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenju View Post
I am using a RCA flat indoor antenna and obviously it doesn't get any of the VHF signals. Can anyone recommend an indoor one that can get both VHF and UHF? I am in Framingham and about 9 miles from the antenna farm.
If you have no huge obstructions in the way, I would start out with a rabbit ears (VHF) and loop (UHF) combo antenna. With digital TV signals, they will usually work up to 20 miles from the typical transmitter site, and should work indoors unless (for VHF) you live in a cinderblock or concrete structure. Since I assume you are trying to get WGBH, now on RF channel 5, I'll just warn you that a VHF-Lo TV signal can drop out due to almost any type of interference emanating from your new place. A microwave oven, vacuum, many LED bulbs, and such can mess with reception on RF channels 2-6. That is the only major downside to putting the antenna indoors.

Last edited by Brian in CT; 09-12-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Brian in CT is offline  
post #12269 of 12501 Old 09-13-2019, 05:47 AM
Newbie
 
TeamSAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WGBH has requested an STA for more power. An increase from 6.7 kW to 34 kW.

- Trip
What’s the usual timing of something like this and where can I see/monitor the status of this request? The FCC website and its various search options are pretty tough for the layperson to navigate.

Thanks!
TeamSAM is offline  
post #12270 of 12501 Old 09-13-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 16,867
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Application is here: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...b0d9d&goBack=N

Status is at the top of the page. Timing is hard to estimate, but hopefully not long.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off