497Likes

post #12301 of 12541 Old 10-04-2019, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdoommario View Post
Just so I'm on the same page, is WFXT currently running on reduced power/temporary transmitter? I've had difficulty picking them up, and the signal is pretty weak when I get them. Never really had a problem picking them up before the repack. NBC Boston on 15.1 on the other hand has been rock solid from here in Attleboro, better than pre-repack IMO.
I don't think WFXT is operating on reduced power. According to RabbitEars they have 'transitioned to a licensed facility'.

And they are coming in fine for me here in Uxbridge, MA.

LG OLED65C7 | Denon S930H | Klipsch 5.1 setup - 2 Forte - 1 R-25C - 2 R-14S
BA Sub w/Bosch amp | Sony BDP S570
Tablo Dual LITE | Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V TV Antenna | RCA Preamp (TVPRAMP1R)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12302 of 12541 Old 10-04-2019, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post
I don't think WFXT is operating on reduced power. According to RabbitEars they have 'transitioned to a licensed facility'.

And they are coming in fine for me here in Uxbridge, MA.
2nd that here in Epping, NH (outside of Portsmouth NH) and my signal levels would suggest they are operating on full power.
post #12303 of 12541 Old 10-04-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 714
The WGBH application was granted this morning by the FCC. Ball is now in WGBH's court.

- Trip
Athlon646464 likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12304 of 12541 Old 10-04-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The WGBH application was granted this morning by the FCC. Ball is now in WGBH's court.

- Trip

LG OLED65C7 | Denon S930H | Klipsch 5.1 setup - 2 Forte - 1 R-25C - 2 R-14S
BA Sub w/Bosch amp | Sony BDP S570
Tablo Dual LITE | Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V TV Antenna | RCA Preamp (TVPRAMP1R)
post #12305 of 12541 Old 10-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

- Trip
This is fantastic news.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does WGBH have to do now? Is this as simple as changing a setting somewhere, or is there new hardware that needs to be installed, tested, etc.?
post #12306 of 12541 Old 10-04-2019, 01:59 PM

One hopes they foresaw this and installed the larger transmitter from the outset, meaning it would be as simple as turning up the power. Alternatively, they may have installed a smaller transmitter and need to upgrade. Unfortunately, I don't have any information on which is the case.

- Trip
Tschmidt likes this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #12307 of 12541 Old 10-05-2019, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
One hopes they foresaw this and installed the larger transmitter from the outset, meaning it would be as simple as turning up the power. Alternatively, they may have installed a smaller transmitter and need to upgrade. Unfortunately, I don't have any information on which is the case.

- Trip

Higher power or not, folks with “mud flap” antennas still won’t be pulling in vhf-low RF channel 5 correct?

I emailed a complaint to WGBH after the repack regarding their greediness pointing out that few lower end income folks will be willing to do what it takes to get a vhf-low capable antenna in place. I spent ~$100 myself. I’m only a dozen miles from the Needham towers and get their lower power signal just fine. wGBH inappropriately included my email on their petition to raise power. I know the power increase will help some, but it’s terrible they moved to vhf-low since few antennas sold these days do vhf-low.

I think the only reason they transmit is to qualify for the must carry on cable systems.

I assume most of their fundraising these days comes from older affluent women- the vast majority who are on cable. I say that from looking at what they put on during “begging season” as I call it. I like (normal) PBS content. As younger viewers are not paying for traditional cable tv, someday WGBH is going to find they’ve screwed themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #12308 of 12541 Old 10-05-2019, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdoommario View Post
Just so I'm on the same page, is WFXT currently running on reduced power/temporary transmitter? I've had difficulty picking them up, and the signal is pretty weak when I get them. Never really had a problem picking them up before the repack. NBC Boston on 15.1 on the other hand has been rock solid from here in Attleboro, better than pre-repack IMO.
I am also having issues with WFXT. It came in strong before the repack. Now it’s spotty at best. Really difficult to get and keep signal. I checked with others in my neighborhood and it seems to be a problem. Reception was never a problem before the repack. I live in Somerset.
post #12309 of 12541 Old 10-05-2019, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

- Trip
To all you antenna experts out there. I assume WGBH has been granted an increase in power? We'll that may or may not help me but just in case it does not, here is what I propose:
I'm have a problem with WGBH/WGBX reception variability (they are on the same RF channel), the antenna is a 25 year old RCA medium size with good VHF and UHF performance and mounted in the attic rafters, it is pointed directly towards Needham, sometimes WGBH/WGBX is strong, sometimes weak. The antenna is close (and perpendicular) to the gable end. The house is set down below road level but, importantly, I have a clear view to the east and the terrain does slope down towards the east. I'm unsure whether the problem is the gable end or a ground multipath reflection.
I'm considering repositioning the antenna in the attic. WGBH is now on RF Ch.5 (79MHz center frequency), a wavelength is approx. 150", first I'll check that the antenna dipole is not at a multiple of a quarter wavelength (or one and a quarter wavelengths etc, etc) from the gable end, that could definitely cause a problem. How much should I move the antenna away/towards the gable end?
Thanks, Trevor.
P.S. Obviously I'll try this when the signal is bad to be sure of an improvement. To get to the attic I have to move a ton of stuff in my wife's closet, not fun, so this is why I'd like to be reasonably sure this will work. I have two of those RCA antennas, the second is mounted farther back in the attic and I'm not seeing variability there.
post #12310 of 12541 Old 10-05-2019, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thumbs up Cheap WGBH HD Solution for me

Hi, I am not going to recommend this for everybody, but months after the repack, I still couldnt get WGBH 2.1 HD and WGBX

44.1 on my cheap Chinese UHF only antenna. I saved some 25" aluminum segments from it for future use .

I wound up buying a $15 Leadzem TA-001 antenna (Ebay) , because it actually had some VHF low capability specified.

I took a guess that crimping the old 25" aluminum segments to the Leadzm spokes could help get better VHF lo reception,

and to my surprise it actually brought in 2.1 and 44.1 adequately. My antenna is in my attic now, so I wont have to

worry about flimsy weather/mechanical issues long term. (but not enough room to rotate it).

One gotcha: the cable from the antenna has a special plug to the control box. I dont know if there is any extension

available.

I hope this can help someone. It's not a high cost investment risk.

Steve
post #12311 of 12541 Old 10-05-2019, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkflyd51 View Post
Higher power or not, folks with “mud flap” antennas still won’t be pulling in vhf-low RF channel 5 correct?

I emailed a complaint to WGBH after the repack regarding their greediness pointing out that few lower end income folks will be willing to do what it takes to get a vhf-low capable antenna in place. I spent ~$100 myself. I’m only a dozen miles from the Needham towers and get their lower power signal just fine. wGBH inappropriately included my email on their petition to raise power. I know the power increase will help some, but it’s terrible they moved to vhf-low since few antennas sold these days do vhf-low.

I think the only reason they transmit is to qualify for the must carry on cable systems.

I assume most of their fundraising these days comes from older affluent women- the vast majority who are on cable. I say that from looking at what they put on during “begging season” as I call it. I like (normal) PBS content. As younger viewers are not paying for traditional cable tv, someday WGBH is going to find they’ve screwed themselves.
If WGBH/WGBX had not leased half of the bandwidth of the still-UHF WGBX signal to NBCU for NBCBoston/WBTS and Cozi, and continued it post-repack, they could easily have put the primary WGBH HD and WGBX HD signals on WGBX and also included two SD's also - like Create and Kids. That arrangement was OK before the repack when WGBH was still on UHF, and WNEU had not moved to Needham from NH, since it provided a full power signal for NBCBoston and Cozi. That is no longer actually needed, since those channels could have been moved to WNEU.

However WNEU will have ultimately have slightly less coverage, mainly to the southwest, than WGBX, when the CBS tower master antenna work is finished - so NBC feels it is worth paying to stay on the WGBX signal, and WGBH would rather take the rent money, than service their over-the-air viewers. The bottom line is that WGBH went from two full bandwidth UHF signals to one VHF signal, and half of a UHF signal - and this is where the real greed and attitude shows.
Tschmidt likes this.
post #12312 of 12541 Old 10-07-2019, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I guess I feel lucky to be getting WGBH/RF5 on an antenna that claims no low VHF gain. I'm 40 miles away and the reception is solid.

I promised pictures, so here is what it looks like:

The lower one is pulling in WGBH on VHF 5, somehow, with the aid of an amp. I've also got a stand of trees in the way of the horizon. Here's a picture taken while standing on the roof looking South toward the Needham antennas. The camera is about 35' above the ground and the larger trees are twice that in height. Must be a fair bit of signal loss through there. I wasn't expecting my new setup to pull in low VHF, so I was pleasantly surprised.

And the woods are thicker to the West. Here is the view from my roof looking in the direction of WMUR, which has always been difficult for me to pull in. It doesn't help that the top of the hill I live on is in that same direction, so I'm in a bit of a shadow.

With the new setup, I receive a total of 69 channels on 14 RF channels. Not all are watchable, but all of the ones I care about are solid.
Tschmidt likes this.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #12313 of 12541 Old 10-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Acrophobia like.^^^^^^^^^
post #12314 of 12541 Old 10-07-2019, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 275
I guess if we are going to be bragging tonight, I should tell you that I am watching WCSH in Portland from Danville New Hampshire in the pouring rain, through wet, leafy trees. I used to have a VHF antenna pointed that way, but took it down when H&I came to WSBK. Today snaked a cable into the attic and attached a DB8e to a TabloTV DVR via an RCA TVPRAMP1Z. While I could pick up a lot of Boston stations through the back, I had no luck with WCSH. I replaced the DB8e with a 91XG and got five green balls for WCSH -- as well as most of the Boston UHF stations.

Eventually, I will hook this up to an HDHomeRun and download The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. One of only a VERY few shows worthy of the effort.
tveli likes this.
post #12315 of 12541 Old 10-07-2019, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Eventually, I will hook this up to an HDHomeRun and download The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. One of only a VERY few shows worthy of the effort.
Interesting. Too bad the Carson people cut out all the live music from each episode. I guess that saves them a lot of money in royalties. Unfortunately, sometimes the canned music stands out like a sore thumb. Maybe this is not so bad to do with Carson's reruns, but if someone ever puts Letterman's reruns back on the air, cutting out the band playing and musical guests would be a huge shame.
post #12316 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I guess if we are going to be bragging tonight, I should tell you that I am watching WCSH in Portland from Danville New Hampshire in the pouring rain, through wet, leafy trees. I used to have a VHF antenna pointed that way, but took it down when H&I came to WSBK. Today snaked a cable into the attic and attached a DB8e to a TabloTV DVR via an RCA TVPRAMP1Z. While I could pick up a lot of Boston stations through the back, I had no luck with WCSH. I replaced the DB8e with a 91XG and got five green balls for WCSH -- as well as most of the Boston UHF stations.
Is the 91XG pointed toward WCSH or Boston? I'm surprised you can get either through the back side.

WCSH is a no-go for me. I could see the signal when I pointed my 4228 straight at it, but it was constantly dropping.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
post #12317 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Unhappy Maybe WGBH has other priorities than OTA?

From "CordCuttersNews.com"

YouTube TV Will Start to Add PBS & PBS Kids on November 4th 2019
by Luke Bouma on October 8, 2019 in All News, News, YouTube TV
Cord Cutters News has now confirmed with multiple PBS stations that they will go live on YouTube TV starting on November 4th, 2019. Not all PBS stations will go live at that time but some including Boston’s WGHB and Philadelphia’s WHYY will be in the first round of PBS stations added. PBS is also hoping to add PBS Kids on November 4th, 2019 according to multiple sources. This is all subject to change as YouTube TV will have the final say on when these stations will go live.

Other PBS stations are reporting they hope to be live by the end of 2019, but some have elected to offer a national PBS feed instead of a local one. This comes down to the cost of setting up a live feed to YouTube TV.

“We’re excited to launch our very first local livestream on YouTube TV,” PBS Chief Digital and Marketing Officer Ira Rubenstein said when this deal was first announced. “Our goal is to reach as many Americans as possible with content that educates, inspires and entertains. As a broadcaster that is rooted in communities, we appreciate YouTube’s commitment to local content, and we are pleased that this service provides audiences with access to programming that is produced and distributed by our member stations.”

“We’re thrilled to partner with PBS to introduce both the PBS and PBS KIDS channels to YouTube TV,” Lori Conkling, Global Head of Partnerships at YouTube said when this deal was first announced. “Audiences of all ages love and trust PBS, and today’s announcement demonstrates our commitment to delivering the best possible lineup for our subscribers.”

Right now most PBS stations in major markets have reported that they hope to go live on November 4th, 2019. It seems that the smaller PBS stations are the ones that will more likely be added at a later date. Google has not confirmed plans to add PBS on November 4th, 2019 but did say they plan to add PBS stations by the end of 2019.

Did you know we have a YouTube Channel? Every week we have a live Cord Cutting Q&A, and weekly Cord Cutting recap shows exclusively on our YouTube Channel!

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more news, tips, and reviews. Need cord cutting tech support? Join our Cord Cutting Tech Support Facebook Group for help.
Tschmidt likes this.
post #12318 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weinrich View Post
From "CordCuttersNews.com"

Other PBS stations are reporting they hope to be live by the end of 2019, but some have elected to offer a national PBS feed instead of a local one. This comes down to the cost of setting up a live feed to YouTube TV.
LOL, what cost? I run the falcon webcam in Manchester with 3 streams that streams to youtube with a $500 PC for encoding. Also Youtube TV is not free sort of defeats the old free OTA thing.

Last edited by bac522; 10-08-2019 at 11:26 AM.
post #12319 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
I guess I feel lucky to be getting WGBH/RF5 on an antenna that claims no low VHF gain. I'm 40 miles away and the reception is solid.

I promised pictures, so here is what it looks like:

The lower one is pulling in WGBH on VHF 5, somehow, with the aid of an amp.
That's really interesting. I have the same antenna as you in my attic and it does not pull in VHF 5. I bought it in 2009 or 2010. I'm supposedly just 13 miles from the Needham towers (although it's at least a 30 minute drive!) I added a Winegard HD7000R just so that I can now pull in VHF 5.
post #12320 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
LOL, what cost? I run the falcon webcam in Manchester with 3 streams that streams to youtube with a $500 PC for encoding.
It's a little more complicated, you have to use encoders that can pass along embedded closed captioning data and possibly the descriptive audio stream or provide a raw transport stream, and I'm not sure about YouTube TV's delivery requirements, but in IP delivery setups with other channels, companies usually want it done over a dedicated internet connection with a static external IP address and a guaranteed minimum upstream speed, or a fiber link.

OTT providers also have to deal with streaming vs broadcasting rights issues resulting in program substitutions or blackouts. Most PBS, APT and local programming should be safe, but some stations like WNET air movies on weekends that might need to be blacked out. Although since PBS member stations are non-commercial organizations, they probably can get a much better deal with the studios for the linear streaming rights than commercial and cable stations. (i.e. to this day some syndicated movies are blacked out on the ABC O&O streams)

Last edited by KyL416; 10-08-2019 at 03:23 PM.
post #12321 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bad antenna?

Might I have a bad antenna?

I live 15 miles from the Needham towers and had great luck picking up everything from that area for the past 4 years. Ever since the repack I have had trouble grabbing channel 5, it scores in the low 60s on my TIVO Romeo, and is very susceptible to wind and other weather. All of my channels seem so be in between 60 and 70. I swear it used to be higher but it has been 4 years since I've done a scan, ha.

My antenna, I have attached a picture, has been in my attic the entire time. I don't know the model but it's a smallish Winegard. Maybe 2 feet wide at the widest.

So since I seem to have bad signal all of a sudden I decided to get off my butt and finally mount it outside. I didn't improve my numbers at all! Pretty bummed to be honest.

I am looking at some trees, but it's not terrible.

Any thoughts? I'm not adverse to buying a bigger antenna.

Also, I can't get channel 2 since it's in low VHF and this antenna doesn't seem to have the skill needed.

Edit: It seems that the antenna is this model, HD7694P Platinum HD Series Antenna.

https://imgur.com/a/eUOFCV4

Last edited by marty1; 10-08-2019 at 03:16 PM.
post #12322 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 03:39 PM

WCVB, WBZ and WGBX/WBTS are all currently at reduced power from an alternate tower until the work is done on their main tower. A quick search for Franklin on Rabbitears shows that WCVB is one of the weaker ones in the area right now, but when everything is done it gets bumped into the "Good" range. So you might want to wait a bit before you tweak things.

That model is rated for VHF-hi, so you'll likely still have problems with WGBH. Some people have had success modding their antennas by attatching longer rods to the VHF elements. Someone else might be able to help you with that part and give you the sizes you need for VHF 5 if you want to go that route instead of replacing the antenna.

Last edited by KyL416; 10-08-2019 at 03:48 PM.
post #12323 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1 View Post

I live 15 miles from the Needham towers and had great luck picking up everything from that area for the past 4 years. Ever since the repack I have had trouble grabbing channel 5, it scores in the low 60s on my TIVO Romeo, and is very susceptible to wind and other weather. All of my channels seem so be in between 60 and 70. I swear it used to be higher but it has been 4 years since I've done a scan, ha.

My antenna, I have attached a picture, has been in my attic the entire time. I don't know the model but it's a smallish Winegard. Maybe 2 feet wide at the widest.

So since I seem to have bad signal all of a sudden I decided to get off my butt and finally mount it outside. I didn't improve my numbers at all! Pretty bummed to be honest.

Also, I can't get channel 2 since it's in low VHF and this antenna doesn't seem to have the skill needed.

Edit: It seems that the antenna is this model, HD7694P Platinum HD Series Antenna.

That antenna (if it really is model you listed) should be fine for your distance. Generally problems during wind/rain would indicate a tree problem and not necessarily ones that are near you, but swaying trees will attenuate signals.

Are you splitting the signals once it comes into the house? I've seen people over time throw in splitters here and there and every splitter 1/2's the power to the final source.

I doubt the antenna is bad, they don't just fail especially if it was in the attic. A bit surprised through you didn't see an improvement moving outside...there is always some loss of signal associated with an attic install.

Simplest thing to do would be to try a pre-amp right at the base of the antenna.
post #12324 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyL416 View Post
WCVB, WBZ and WGBX/WBTS are all currently at reduced power from an alternate tower until the work is done on their main tower. A quick search for Franklin on Rabbitears shows that WCVB is one of the weaker ones in the area right now, but when everything is done it gets bumped into the "Good" range.
Thank you. I'm a dope, I read that a dozen times last night while I was perusing the forums, but when I looked at Rabbitears, I didn't know what I was reading, ha. I saw that WCVB didn't have an arrow or wasn't green. Where exactly on the website do you find the signal strength info?
post #12325 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 03:50 PM

You can enter your location here, and you can click the thing at the top right of the map and use the "ESRI Imagery" option to place the dot on the precise location of your antenna:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

After it's generated, you'll see predictions for the current signals, and the "post-repack search list" will show the predictions for when everything is done.

Last edited by KyL416; 10-08-2019 at 03:57 PM.
post #12326 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkflyd51 View Post
That's really interesting. I have the same antenna as you in my attic and it does not pull in VHF 5. I bought it in 2009 or 2010. I'm supposedly just 13 miles from the Needham towers (although it's at least a 30 minute drive!) I added a Winegard HD7000R just so that I can now pull in VHF 5.
At that distance, you should be able to get WGBH on a wire dipole inside.

I benefit from being about 2/3 of the way up a hill. According to the RabbitEars.Info site, the predicted field strength is 69.39 dBuV/m, which is in the "fair" category.

Before I did the upgrade, I was getting a weak signal on VHF 5 and it wasn't watchable due to constant dropouts. I had thought that my Winegard FM yagi was pulling in that signal through the back side, so I didn't expect to get anything on VHF low after changing antennas. But when I removed the FM yagi, I noticed that a branch had gotten stuck in it and broke off. There was still a piece of stick wedged between the booms and feed, and the feed harness had been bent into shorting against the top boom. So the weak signal I was getting on VHF 5 was actually from the Clearstream 4!

Changing from CS4 to the 4228HD helped a little, probably because the bigger reflector provides a modest F/B even at VHF. Adding the amplifier helped more, and orienting the antenna in an optimum direction (presumably free of multipath) eliminated the last of the dropouts. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Quote:

I think the HD7694P is the same design as the larger HD8200U only without the VHF Low elements.

It shouldn't give you any gain in VHF low, but at that distance you shouldn't need any. I would try making your own wire dipole with the length tuned for VHF 5. If you can get that to work by itself, you could mount it in the attic and combine it with the HD7694P.

post #12327 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:

I benefit from being about 2/3 of the way up a hill. According to the RabbitEars.Info site, the predicted field strength is 69.39 dBuV/m, which is in the "fair" category.

Before I did the upgrade, I was getting a weak signal on VHF 5 and it wasn't watchable due to constant dropouts. I had thought that my Winegard FM yagi was pulling in that signal through the back side, so I didn't expect to get anything on VHF low after changing antennas. But when I removed the FM yagi, I noticed that a branch had gotten stuck in it and broke off. There was still a piece of stick wedged between the booms and feed, and the feed harness had been bent into shorting against the top boom. So the weak signal I was getting on VHF 5 was actually from the Clearstream 4!

Changing from CS4 to the 4228HD helped a little, probably because the bigger reflector provides a modest F/B even at VHF. Adding the amplifier helped more, and orienting the antenna in an optimum direction (presumably free of multipath) eliminated the last of the dropouts. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I think the HD7694P is the same design as the larger HD8200U only without the VHF Low elements.

It shouldn't give you any gain in VHF low, but at that distance you shouldn't need any. I would try making your own wire dipole with the length tuned for VHF 5. If you can get that to work by itself, you could mount it in the attic and combine it with the HD7694P.

Right on! I love a project. Was hoping they would get the power boost soon. Does that mean they will fo back to UHF or are they staying on VHF 5?
post #12328 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Thank you. I'm a dope, I read that a dozen times last night while I was perusing the forums, but when I looked at Rabbitears, I didn't know what I was reading, ha. I saw that WCVB didn't have an arrow or wasn't green. Where exactly on the website do you find the signal strength info?
WCVB gave up using the problematical Cabot St shared master antenna with the damaged transmission line, and decided to use instead their backup antenna 200 feet below the top of the CBS tower, until the work at the top is completed. However, they can only use 350 KW from that backup antenna vs the 920 KW they were using briefly at Cabot St, and which they will be able to use when the construction is completed.
post #12329 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Is the 91XG pointed toward WCSH or Boston? I'm surprised you can get either through the back side.
At WCSH. I was surprised too. Reception is worse than WCSH from the front. I haven't really worked on pointing the antenna. Just glad I got something watchable. Probably going to swap out the Tablo TV DVR for a HDHomeRun so I can get some good measurements. High confidence just the same.

Quote:
WCSH is a no-go for me. I could see the signal when I pointed my 4228 straight at it, but it was constantly dropping.
Where are you?
post #12330 of 12541 Old 10-08-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyL416 View Post
WCVB, WBZ and WGBX/WBTS are all currently at reduced power from an alternate tower until the work is done on their main tower. A quick search for Franklin on Rabbitears shows that WCVB is one of the weaker ones in the area right now, but when everything is done it gets bumped into the "Good" range. So you might want to wait a bit before you tweak things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel99 View Post
WCVB gave up using the problematical Cabot St shared master antenna with the damaged transmission line, and decided to use instead their backup antenna 200 feet below the top of the CBS tower, until the work at the top is completed. However, they can only use 350 KW from that backup antenna vs the 920 KW they were using briefly at Cabot St, and which they will be able to use when the construction is completed.
I still have them operating on that STA from when they were having the antenna issue. But my information says the antenna issue was resolved, and so I would expect WCVB is back on the aux. Any idea if that is true?

Quote:
Low-VHF is always worse than expected. I wouldn't be surprised to find that just about any indoor antenna doesn't work for plenty of people in close proximity.

- Trip
Tschmidt likes this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page