Forum Jump: 
 487Likes

Old 11-12-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 703
It's hard to keep track of what's operating for those of us who run RabbitEars, too. For the Search Map, I have these flagged as currently operating, so they come up as "Current" in the results:

WGBH-5 at 6.7 kW
WUTF-19 on the STA
WBZ-20 on the aux
WSBK-21 on the aux
WUNI-27 has not yet moved as far as I know
WNEU-29 on the STA
WGBX-32 on the aux
WCVB-33 on the aux
WFXT-34 on the main (not the aux)
WHDH-35 on the CP (awaiting a license filing)

- Trip
Athlon646464, Tschmidt and WorcOta like this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I only started trying to pull in channels this summer after cancelling Dish and it has been a journey. Using a mudflap and a cheap pair of unamplified GE rabbit ears, I could easily pull in everything in Boston and Providence except WGBH until recently. The UHF antenna broke in a storm sometime in the past month so I bought a used pair of amplified RCA rabbit ears to try and can finally get WGBH 2.1/44.1! Though now, I can't get WLNE, WJAR, or WBPX (which has been problematic since moving to Marlboro at my location in Worcester).

Does anyone know how well flat outdoor antennas like this work or have any suggestions on outdoor antennas that can be mounted outside a window/on a porch?
Old 11-13-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorcOta View Post
Does anyone know how well flat outdoor antennas like this work or have any suggestions on outdoor antennas that can be mounted outside a window/on a porch?
Rabbit ears only pull in VHF unless you have the smaller cicular or square antenna too which is the UHF antenna.

That antenna you list probably would work. Personally I'm a fan of Antennas Direct, this one would do the job https://store.antennasdirect.com/Cle...V-Antenna.html and they are usually stocked at Best Buy so a bit easier to return if it doesn't meet your needs. Main reason I like them is they are not an eyesore and seem to blend in well, especially if you're considering the porch.

But remember trees, hills, buildings, etc can interfere with signal, generally the higher you can get an antenna the better.

I've been using the ClearStream 4v on my roof for about 5 years now with great results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Rabbit ears only pull in VHF unless you have the smaller cicular or square antenna too which is the UHF antenna.
It's got the UHF square in the center, I don't think too many companies are manufacturing TV rabbit ears without UHF anymore this side of 2008. Like I said, the only UHF channels I'm having issues with are WLNE, WJAR, and WBPX, which isn't bad for an indoor antenna.

Quote:
That antenna you list probably would work. Personally I'm a fan of Antennas Direct, this one would do the job https://store.antennasdirect.com/Cle...V-Antenna.html and they are usually stocked at Best Buy so a bit easier to return if it doesn't meet your needs. Main reason I like them is they are not an eyesore and seem to blend in well, especially if you're considering the porch.

But remember trees, hills, buildings, etc can interfere with signal, generally the higher you can get an antenna the better.

I've been using the ClearStream 4v on my roof for about 5 years now with great results.
I'm trying to not go up on my roof (though I've been really tempted) and spending a ton of money isn't necessary, I'm in a really good location. It's a two-story house on the side of a hill in Worcester with almost nothing in the way of the horizon towards Needham and just a mudflap hanging out of the window facing southeast can pick up every UHF channel for Boston and Providence at high levels.

I already have a UHF/VHF combiner and there's dedicated coaxial that was set up for Dish running all around that I've been playing with running signals over, so all I really need is a good enough outdoor UHF antenna that can be mounted at a window. If I can find the ClearStream 2MAX cheap/used that might be the perfect option.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
It's hard to keep track of what's operating for those of us who run RabbitEars, too.
Thanks for your effort to keep up to date through this repack. We appreciate it.

Quote:

Based on my experience with the CS4, I second the recommendation for the 2MAX. It's the perfect size to use indoors looking out of a window.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Old 11-14-2019, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WGBH needs to push more power.

Being on low VHF, this station struggles with coverage.

When will the station be operating at their requested higher power?
Old 11-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTools View Post
WGBH needs to push more power.

Being on low VHF, this station struggles with coverage.

When will the station be operating at their requested higher power?
Somewhere on this board it was posted that WGBH will increase its power in January 2020. But why is it taking so long?

On another note, the rabbitears site says that WYCN, which was the NBC Boston station on PSIP 15 (and now is called WBTS), is now listed as a Providence station as a Telemundo/Telexios/Cozi affiliate:

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...&callsign=wycn
Old 11-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 92
They have to order new equipment to handle the additional power.

Also, you have the PSIP numbers reversed. WYCN-LD is the former WBTS-LD which is 8.x. WBTS-CD is the former WYCN-CD which is 15.x. WYCN-LD moved to Providence during the repack and now carries their Telemundo station in HD, along with Telexitos and Cozi which had no local Providence affiliates. Previously the DMA only got Telemundo via a SD only channel spectrum sharing with their local Ion station.

Last edited by KyL416; 11-14-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by alg2468 View Post
Somewhere on this board it was posted that WGBH will increase its power in January 2020. But why is it taking so long?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyL416 View Post
They have to order new equipment to handle the additional power.
It's a Comark modular transmitter, so they probably are waiting for additional power amp modules, and time for support to be available to install them.

https://comarktv.com/wp-content/uplo..._Mar2018-1.pdf
Tschmidt likes this.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:01 PM

WCRN-LD is now on the air - virtual ch 31-1, RF 30. The only ID is "ITV" which is ITV, Hong Kong, and they were broadcasting in Chinese earlier, but there is now news in French from "France 24".
Old 11-15-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel99 View Post
WCRN-LD is now on the air - virtual ch 31-1, RF 30. The only ID is "ITV" which is ITV, Hong Kong, and they were broadcasting in Chinese earlier, but there is now news in French from "France 24".
They are off the air now, so may have been just testing.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
...I already have a UHF/VHF combiner and there's dedicated coaxial that was set up for Dish running all around that I've been playing with running signals over, so all I really need is a good enough outdoor UHF antenna that can be mounted at a window. If I can find the ClearStream 2MAX cheap/used that might be the perfect option.
If you have strong UHF signals, this should work just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/DTV2BUHF-DIRE...dp/B0742JQZW5/
If you have a wall facing the desired towers, just attach it to the wall - no mast needed. It's also paintable.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
WBZ channel 4.1 is back all of a sudden today. I rescanned my TV yesterday and I only got 20 channels. My family room TV still has 2.2, 4.1 and 5.1 in it's channel memory. When my daughter turned on WBZ to watch the Patriots, it was there! So I rescanned the same TV as yesterday and sure enough, 4.1 and subs are there.

Anyone know what changed?
Still no joy on 5.1 ABC or 2.2 GBH though.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
It's hard to keep track of what's operating for those of us who run RabbitEars, too. For the Search Map, I have these flagged as currently operating, so they come up as "Current" in the results:

WGBH-5 at 6.7 kW
WUTF-19 on the STA
WBZ-20 on the aux
WSBK-21 on the aux
WNEU-29 on the STA
WGBX-32 on the aux
WCVB-33 on the aux

- Trip
I still can't pull in WCVB (33) so I'm assuming aux still means it's a work in progress. I now this morning can't get NBC Boston again which shows as a very weak signal.

Quote:
I only started trying to pull in channels this summer after cancelling Dish and it has been a journey. Using a mudflap and a cheap pair of unamplified GE rabbit ears, I could easily pull in everything in Boston and Providence except WGBH until recently. The UHF antenna broke in a storm sometime in the past month so I bought a used pair of amplified RCA rabbit ears to try and can finally get WGBH 2.1/44.1! Though now, I can't get WLNE, WJAR, or WBPX (which has been problematic since moving to Marlboro at my location in Worcester).

Rough time to switch to OTA in the Boston area. I switched in 2013 and up until the recent Aug 2019 changeup things had been very stable.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:52 AM

WBZ, WSBK, WGBX/WBTS, WCVB, and WFXT are all coming out of the same aux antenna at similar power levels except for WSBK, which is weaker. Theoretically, the signals should be pretty similar.

- Trip
tveli and Tschmidt like this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 11-19-2019, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thanks Uncle Trip. Or maybe you are Auntie Trip. Must we call you gender-nonspecific Trip?

sincerely,

gender-specific-eli

ps - "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"
(Maybe by springtime?)
Tschmidt and ejb1980 like this.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post
I still can't pull in WCVB (33) so I'm assuming aux still means it's a work in progress. I now this morning can't get NBC Boston again which shows as a very weak signal.

Rough time to switch to OTA in the Boston area. I switched in 2013 and up until the recent Aug 2019 changeup things had been very stable.
My experience exactly! Totally agree. CVB still out and 4.1 MIA again.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb56 View Post
Uxbridge here with an Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V and RCA preamp in the attic. No issues with either channel.

LG OLED65C7 | Denon S930H | Klipsch 5.1 setup - 2 Forte - 1 R-25C - 2 R-14S
BA Sub w/Bosch amp | Sony BDP S570
Tablo Dual LITE | Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V TV Antenna | RCA Preamp (TVPRAMP1R)
Old 11-20-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post
Uxbridge here with an Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V and RCA preamp in the attic. No issues with either channel.
You are closer to the towers than I so that's probably why it's working for you.

Quote:
WBZ, WSBK, WGBX/WBTS, WCVB, and WFXT are all coming out of the same aux antenna at similar power levels except for WSBK, which is weaker. Theoretically, the signals should be pretty similar.

- Trip
I am just north of Sturbridge, MA and have never been able to get WFXT even going back to 2013 when I first moved in. I figured maybe a CT, Springfield MA, or NH channel was interfering. The other channels however all came in fine until this past August. WBZ & WSBK come in just fine right now. WBST comes in on/off though this past week it was been mostly off, I've had to pull in NBC Providence instead. WCVB I have only been able to receive one day (Halloween I think) since the August move, there has been little to no signal otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb56 View Post
Glad I am not alone, where roughly are you located?
Old 11-20-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Glad I am not alone, where roughly are you located?
His profile near his name (on the left) says Grafton, MA.

LG OLED65C7 | Denon S930H | Klipsch 5.1 setup - 2 Forte - 1 R-25C - 2 R-14S
BA Sub w/Bosch amp | Sony BDP S570
Tablo Dual LITE | Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V TV Antenna | RCA Preamp (TVPRAMP1R)
Old 11-20-2019, 02:15 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:

WGBH-5 at 6.7 kW
WUTF-19 on the STA
WBZ-20 on the aux
WSBK-21 on the aux
WNEU-29 on the STA
WGBX-32 on the aux
WCVB-33 on the aux

- Trip
Trip, Rabbitears is a great site - I really appreciate your efforts and the efforts of the rest of the team.

Wondering your thoughts on something.... About a day or two after WGBH-5's application was granted to increase power from 6.7kW to 34kW... I started pulling in that station consistently after never having received it, post-repack.

I'm about 20 miles from Needham. I don't know much about antenna engineering, but is it possible that once the FCC approved their license, they maxed out amplification on the current transmitter up to the theoretical max (something like 12kW)?

I get that they need to move to new hardware to achieve the full 34kW, but is it possible they were able to bump up their existing configuration ever so slightly in the meantime?
Old 11-20-2019, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
You are closer to the towers than I so that's probably why it's working for you.

I am just north of Sturbridge, MA and have never been able to get WFXT even going back to 2013 when I first moved in. I figured maybe a CT, Springfield MA, or NH channel was interfering. The other channels however all came in fine until this past August. WBZ & WSBK come in just fine right now. WBST comes in on/off though this past week it was been mostly off, I've had to pull in NBC Providence instead. WCVB I have only been able to receive one day (Halloween I think) since the August move, there has been little to no signal otherwise.
I'm in Brimfield. Using a CS4 with a channel master amp pointed towards the Needham towers.

I can tell you Fox 61 in Hartford is on the same frequency as Fox 25 Boston. I've never been able to receive either station.

Same for WCVB and the Hartford CW. Since the FCC approved the Hartford CW switch to the same frequency as WCVB a few years ago, I haven't received WCVB. And it use to come in at 85%!

I can't wait for the boston stations to be back at full power. I can receive the WBTS, WSBK, WGBX and 2.1 from WGBH but not WBZ or WHDH since the move to aux. WJAR is coming in strong now.

Rob
Old 11-20-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Buchholz View Post
Trip, Rabbitears is a great site - I really appreciate your efforts and the efforts of the rest of the team.

Wondering your thoughts on something.... About a day or two after WGBH-5's application was granted to increase power from 6.7kW to 34kW... I started pulling in that station consistently after never having received it, post-repack.

I'm about 20 miles from Needham. I don't know much about antenna engineering, but is it possible that once the FCC approved their license, they maxed out amplification on the current transmitter up to the theoretical max (something like 12kW)?

I get that they need to move to new hardware to achieve the full 34kW, but is it possible they were able to bump up their existing configuration ever so slightly in the meantime?
WGBH has a Comark Parallax transmitter which is capable of 41 KW if a complete set of 1500 watt output modules is installed. The original license is for 6.1 KW and with very slight VHF antenna gain makes an ERP of 6.7 KW. For that power they did not need a second module cabinet, but they had bought it anyway, presumably in anticipation of adding modules for a power increase. I can't imagine they would have exceeded the licensed power since they clearly were planning to file for the power increase ASAP.

https://comarktv.com/wp-content/uplo..._Mar2018-1.pdf

WGBH transmitter photo:
http://www.necrat.us/5boston.html
Old 11-20-2019, 07:57 PM

Anyone try reaching out to the guys who run these towers? I've found some of their emails in the past from youtube videos or personal blogs. They usually love to chat. It would be great to know first hand what's going on at the towers and what is planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmahlert View Post
I'm in Brimfield. Using a CS4 with a channel master amp pointed towards the Needham towers.

I can tell you Fox 61 in Hartford is on the same frequency as Fox 25 Boston. I've never been able to receive either station.

Same for WCVB and the Hartford CW. Since the FCC approved the Hartford CW switch to the same frequency as WCVB a few years ago, I haven't received WCVB. And it use to come in at 85%!

I can't wait for the boston stations to be back at full power. I can receive the WBTS, WSBK, WGBX and 2.1 from WGBH but not WBZ or WHDH since the move to aux. WJAR is coming in strong now.

Rob
Hi neighbor! This explains why I was never able to get WFXT, the signals have been fighting since I got my antenna in 2013. I did however receive WCVB ABC Boston just fine until this past August. For me too WJAR's signal has been unusually great with these whole moves. Was something else that previously interfered re-packed?

Quote:

- Trip
I know TV signal meters are never great but here is an example of what I am dealing with. WBZ & WSBK you say is on the same tower, both come in fine, meanwhile I can't get any of the others tonight.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:
As otherwise indicated, WTIC in Hartford is co-channel with WFXT. WCCT in Hartford is co-channel with WCVB, and did increase power in the repack, though it is also possible that the slight change in height on WCVB's aux made a difference in whether or not WCVB broke through for you. Have to wait and see.

Unless you have a very good path to Hartford (do you receive WFSB?), I cannot explain bad reception on WGBX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmahlert View Post
As far as I know, WHDH should be back at full power at this point.

Regarding WBZ, depending on your specific location, you could be seeing co-channel interference from WSHM-LD in Springfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Buchholz View Post

Glad you like it.

It's possible they bumped it up a bit, but as Channel99 says, it is dependent on what equipment got installed in the original cabinet. I don't really have a sense of whether they would have fully populated the single cabinet or only put in a few extra modules beyond what they needed for redundancy.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 11-21-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
As otherwise indicated, WTIC in Hartford is co-channel with WFXT. WCCT in Hartford is co-channel with WCVB, and did increase power in the repack, though it is also possible that the slight change in height on WCVB's aux made a difference in whether or not WCVB broke through for you. Have to wait and see.

Unless you have a very good path to Hartford (do you receive WFSB?), I cannot explain bad reception on WGBX.

As far as I know, WHDH should be back at full power at this point.

Regarding WBZ, depending on your specific location, you could be seeing co-channel interference from WSHM-LD in Springfield.

Glad you like it.

It's possible they bumped it up a bit, but as Channel99 says, it is dependent on what equipment got installed in the original cabinet. I don't really have a sense of whether they would have fully populated the single cabinet or only put in a few extra modules beyond what they needed for redundancy.

- Trip
Here is my TV fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038f1df644a40

The RF Ch#'s seem to be outdated but shows what's around me. Hartford really should be blocked to me by a hill but then again I never got WFXT so maybe they are interfering like the other user in Brimfield mentioned.

WHDH for me has been great the past couple weeks to answer the other user.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Here is my TV fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038f1df644a40

The RF Ch#'s seem to be outdated but shows what's around me. Hartford really should be blocked to me by a hill but then again I never got WFXT so maybe they are interfering like the other user in Brimfield mentioned.

WHDH for me has been great the past couple weeks to answer the other user.
Use the RabbitEars Search Map instead; it's up to date unlike TVFool. Be sure to set the search distance to something like 80 miles.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 11-21-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Use the RabbitEars Search Map instead; it's up to date unlike TVFool. Be sure to set the search distance to something like 80 miles.

- Trip
I didn't see the link to the RabbitEars one. Does it hide your location like the TV fool map?
Old 11-21-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I didn't see the link to the RabbitEars one. Does it hide your location like the TV fool map?
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

Yes it does. It rounds your coordinates in the display in the same way that TVFool does.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 11-21-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post
I tried one of those antennas from Best Buy a while back but didn't get much at all. I eventually built a 4 bay bow-tie and was doing great until the August repack. Now I have a 45 mile directional Antenna that brought all of them back (except 2.1 GBH) until the October windstorm (25th?).

And yes, I'm in Grafton, but on the west side behind the hills and trees. Storms will usually wreak havoc on my signal, but I'm hoping Boston gets back to full power soon. I've been live streaming WCVB morning news on my iPad using the chrome browser as a short term fix.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Displays