Denver, CO - OTA - Page 440 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #13171 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else lost Channel 29.1 (remap to 25.1) from their ATSC tuners or is just me? I realize that it is nothing but infomercials and home shopping but I still wonder were it went.

I was also curious if anyone has more info about UPN, ABC and their RP transmitters. Are there any updates or do I need to keep checking for channels 19.1 and 17.1 every day?

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13172 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 01:19 PM

I'm not picking 25-1 up anymore either.
post #13173 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

KTVD (UPN) update, from an impeccable source:

All the bits and pieces for their temporary digital transmitter are here. They're looking at installation at Republic Plaza hopefully this week with a test pattern coming soon thereafter. Actual content (cross your fingers) still expected this calendar year. All estimates are pending weather - they depend on window-washing scaffolding for part of the install and we all know how much fun that is on a windy day.

Other questions I had on file, with my paraphrasing of their answers:

Q) Why is the temporary transmitter going on Republic instead of on the existing channel 20 site on Mt. Morrison?

A) Couple of reasons. Looking long-term, having the "temporary" transmitter downtown provides a backup broadcast location for them in a completely different part of town. Also, their lease on the tower on Mt. Morrison is almost up (they own the building, but not the tower) so Morrison isn't a good long-term solution. They seem satisfied, in the short-term, with the coverage available from Republic Plaza.

Q) Why the *&($ will it take Comcast 60 days to get KTVD-DT on cable after the OTA signal is available?

A) That is the timeline provided by Comcast. Once KTVD-DT is on the air, they'll notify Comcast that they're live and the rest is in Comcast's hands.

Q) Is there any chance of UPN and Altitude working together to make Altitude-HD Avs games available on UPN-DT?

A) Don't hold our breath. While UPN-DT coverage of Altitude-HD games would give Altitude more viewers, it would weaken Altitude's negotiating strength with Comcast. Why would Comcast continue to pay Altitude $1.00 per customer (number made up) per month when they could just carry KTVD-DT and satisfy their customers' demand for HD Avalanche games? I got the sense that KTVD is open to the idea, but it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

You are indeed a wise man! - TotallyPreWired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13174 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 03:26 PM

Dr_Mal, you are awesome. Thanks for the update.

By the way, does your "contact" ever visit this forum? Have they considered using us to help them test their PSIP data and other "problem" areas that we have run into in the past?

-Matt
post #13175 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but let's 'refresh' the topic. What are the drawbacks for the stations broadcasting from Republic Plaza, to increasing their power? Let's say that they all increase their output from 10-13kW to 30kW. This would give a total output at around 150kW from that location(KCNC, KRMA, KUSA, and coming KMGH & KTVD).

This would allow those stations to reach a larger audience, and provide a better 'temporary' solution to our low power woes.

I do not know what issues this would pose for the broadcasters. Would they need new transmitters, or could they just modify the existing ones?

Since we are facing the likelyhood that we won't see high power broadcasts until at least 2009, this boost would make it possible(easier) for many of us to obtain these broadcasts.

Do you think that this would help you?
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide
38° 57' 49"N 105° 05' 33"W - 8,900'

Enercept SIP Provider
post #13176 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXIX View Post

Dr_Mal, you are awesome. Thanks for the update.

All credit should go to my contact who, for some reason, keeps returning my calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXIX View Post

By the way, does your "contact" ever visit this forum? Have they considered using us to help them test their PSIP data and other "problem" areas that we have run into in the past?

I gave my contact the URL for the forum, and directions to get to this thread. AFAIK, nobody from KTVD has been on the forum before. Hopefully they'll maintain a presence here after they go live, a la KWGN. I'll put that in my notes for the next time we speak.

I've been promised a heads-up call with a launch date before they actually go live. I hope that comes to pass, but in the meantime I can tell you for sure there's no point in doing a channel scan tonight.

post #13177 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyPreWired View Post

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but let's 'refresh' the topic. What are the drawbacks for the stations broadcasting from Republic Plaza, to increasing their power? Let's say that they all increase their output from 10-13kW to 30kW. This would give a total output at around 150kW from that location(KCNC, KRMA, KUSA, and coming KMGH & KTVD).

AFAIK, their power is limited by Denver County. (We had at one point believed there were power issues at RP, but with KTVD and KMGH announcing plans to broadcast from there, that can't be an issue). In order to boost their power and make RP a permanent broadcast location, they have to prove no alternative sites exist. Sound familiar?

post #13178 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 03:54 PM

This might be reaching, but if Lookout Mountain was acquired by the state under eminent domain, sCARE problems would cease to exist. I would GLADLY pay my share of an extra $5.00 or whatever in taxes so the state could 'buy-out' the homeowners on the hill to ensure that the Denver metropolitan and outlying areas have adequate broadcast resources to meet their needs. We built a football stadium for about $2.50 per household right... why can't we buy sCARE homes for the same? More people watch and listen to OTA broadcasts than purchase seats at Invesco. Is this at all feasible?

-The Great White Water Buffalo
post #13179 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWWaterBufalo View Post

This might be reaching, but if Lookout Mountain was acquired by the state under eminent domain, sCARE problems would cease to exist. I would GLADLY pay my share of an extra $5.00 or whatever in taxes so the state could 'buy-out' the homeowners on the hill to ensure that the Denver metropolitan and outlying areas have adequate broadcast resources to meet their needs. We built a football stadium for about $2.50 per household right... why can't we buy sCARE homes for the same? More people watch and listen to OTA broadcasts than purchase seats at Invesco. Is this at all feasible?

-The Great White Water Buffalo

They'd have to beat Golden to the punch, since they're already trying to seize the land

Which reminds me...

BOYCOTT GOLDEN

post #13180 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_mal View Post

They'd have to beat Golden to the punch, since they're already trying to seize the land

Which reminds me...

BOYCOTT GOLDEN

What's that all about? Why is Golden trying to seize it - and what are the implications for broadcasters?
post #13181 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

In order to boost their power and make RP a permanent broadcast location, they have to prove no alternative sites exist. Sound familiar?

Hopefully not permanent, just until high power!

Ok, another question: What determines each station's broadcast power? On RP alone they vary from 10-13kW.
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #13182 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hopefully not permanent, just until high power!

Sorry, usually the question about RP power is raised in conjunction with RP being their permanent home instead of Lookout. Yes, a temporary power boost from RP would be nice, but unfortunately they're limited by Denver County

Quote:

Ok, another question: What determines each station's broadcast power? On RP alone they vary from 10-13kW.

Compared to their licensed full power of 1000kW, the difference between 10 and 13 is negligible.

In the context of low power, however, 10-13 kW could well make or break reception for certain people. I honestly have no idea why each station has a different power output up there.

post #13183 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWWaterBufalo View Post

What's that all about? Why is Golden trying to seize it - and what are the implications for broadcasters?

Sorry - didn't quite notice how new you were here

At the last round of BCC (Board of County Commissioner) hearings in Golden, when it became obvious that LCG had eliminated any possible tower fall issues, the city of BoycottGolden announced that they were going to offer LCG fair market value for their property on Lookout and if LCG declined, that BoycottGolden would seize the land under eminent domain to be used as open space At one point, it appeared that BoycottGolden was looking to seize the current LCG broadcast location property, effectively blacking out the entire Denver DMA. I'm not sure if that's their current plan right now.

Oh - the impact. Right.

If it goes through, LCG is back to square one in terms of finding a place to broadcast HD. It took them about 6 years to get to this point, so you do the math. Those of us with any optimism left after all this time hope the FCC won't let a bunch of local loons (and make no mistake about it, the nuts running BoycottGolden have absolutely no grasp of reality at this point) prevent a whole city from not having DTV. Unfortunately, the FCC is being very hands-off throughout this whole transition.

post #13184 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

In the context of low power, however, 10-13 kW could well make or break reception for certain people.

That's why they call ya Doc? You are indeed a wise man!

Give the other stations the same characteristics(power, antenna, elevation) and I've got all 3. Right now I've got about 1.3!
....jc

Woodland Park/Divide

Enercept SIP Provider
post #13185 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 04:37 PM

Quote:

KTVD (UPN) update, from an impeccable source:

All the bits and pieces for their temporary digital transmitter are here. They're looking at installation at Republic Plaza hopefully this week with a test pattern coming soon thereafter. Actual content (cross your fingers) still expected this calendar year. .

Let me thank you as well for the detailed update, dr_mal, regarding KTVD. Your source is far more specific than mine.

One quick question, which I think you addressed in the past, but can you still verify that KTVD will be broadcasting UPN Network programming in HD? I'm pretty sure that's what my source had told me, but your source seems to be far more reliable.

I wonder if KTVD's license is up for renewal like so many other Denver stations? If that's the case, I can assure you that they will do everything possible to get on-air from RP before the end of the year so they can report to the FCC that they have been broadcasting a Digital signal "since 2005"

Regardless, it will be great to finally have KTVD-DT joining the OTA Digital world...a nice X-mas gift. Again, thanks for the info.
post #13186 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That's why they call ya Doc? You are indeed a wise man!

Oh that is so going in my signature!

post #13187 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Those of us with any optimism left after all this time...

That would not be me. Bring on analog shutoff.

Don
post #13188 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHForever View Post

Let me thank you as well for the detailed update, dr_mal, regarding KTVD. Your source is far more specific than mine.

One quick question, which I think you addressed in the past, but can you still verify that KTVD will be broadcasting UPN Network programming in HD? I'm pretty sure that's what my source had told me, but your source seems to be far more reliable.

I'd be VERY surprised if they didn't. Their argument against having a temporary digital signal was that they had no content. UPN's network HD programming must've been a factor in them deciding to go HD. The next time we speak, I'll ask specifically, just to be 100% sure. Right now I'm only about 99% sure

Quote:

I wonder if KTVD's license is up for renewal like so many other Denver stations? If that's the case, I can assure you that they will do everything possible to get on-air from RP before the end of the year so they can report to the FCC that they have been broadcasting a Digital signal "since 2005"

No clue, but didn't KCNC-DT go on the air 12/30? If everything goes according to plan, KTVD-DT will beat that date (although, obviously, just barely).

Quote:

Regardless, it will be great to finally have KTVD-DT joining the OTA Digital world...a nice X-mas gift. Again, thanks for the info.

Agreed! I didn't watch any KWGN before they launched their DTV signal. Now I'm hooked on a couple of their shows. I've been hearing good things about Veronica Mars on UPN, but alas, I've become an HD snob and don't watch SD anymore. I'm looking forward to another source of HD.

post #13189 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 12
If KTVD goes on-the-air before Dec 31st, they can write-off the entire year to the IRS. Same thing with me, if I buy some equipment and put it into service (if only for a day) I can take the tax depreciation for the entire year!

Also to note, RP isn't the best place to put transmitters. With the foothills acting a huge reflector, there is severe multi-path issues.

Don't forget, you can order your T-shirts and Bumperstickers at the Denverdtv.info website.

post #13190 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 07:04 PM

[quote=dr_mal]

No clue, but didn't KCNC-DT go on the air 12/30? If everything goes according to plan, KTVD-DT will beat that date (although, obviously, just barely).

KCNC-DT is on the air?

Tim
post #13191 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 07:13 PM

Never mind, Wrong station, Bad joke.

Tim
post #13192 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One important reason the RP can't be used at higher power is that the transmitters radiate directly into the upper stories of the Qwest building. Transmitters on the RP would never be turned on at higher powers with permission from Denver unless those floors are evacuated. Unlike the (S)CARE folks on Lookout, the upper stories 'really are' in the direct line of the RF (not to mention the blockages created by the Qwest building to the north end of town). The RP is a very poor temporary solution at best, although it is still better than the second story of a local television studio located in the area. I believe that was a major reason that Denver would not allow any higher power from the top of the RP.

John M
post #13193 of 17938 Old 12-08-2005, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

One important reason the RP can't be used at higher power is that the transmitters radiate directly into the upper stories of the Qwest building.

If only Nacchio was still on the top floor of the Qwest building...we could solve 2 problems at the same time

post #13194 of 17938 Old 12-09-2005, 05:32 AM

Anyone have news on the KMGH move to Republic Plaza? I know they said they would be up and running by the Super Bowl, but I was hoping that they might make it by the end of the year as well. They have a bunch of college bowl games on right after the first of the year.

Thanks
Joe
post #13195 of 17938 Old 12-09-2005, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joej View Post

Anyone have news on the KMGH move to Republic Plaza?

K-M-G- who?

post #13196 of 17938 Old 12-09-2005, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any plans on KCNC boosting power so they at least have the same coverage area as the other RP stations? I mean that since they are much higher in frequency and thus have a greater loss through the atmosphere they need to boost to compensate.
post #13197 of 17938 Old 12-09-2005, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:

Any plans on KCNC boosting power so they at least have the same coverage area as the other RP stations?

Nothing we've heard, and I wouldn't put any money on it.
post #13198 of 17938 Old 12-10-2005, 10:48 AM

Am I the only one that is getting variable signal from KCNC's HD broadcast of the Duke/Texas College Hoops game? Sometimes it's solid as a rock, other times it's fluctuating between good and choppy. I live in Arvada, and usually get a pretty good signal...that is, until something big comes on, like this or a Broncos game. (or last years NCAA hoops final)
post #13199 of 17938 Old 12-10-2005, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinedawg View Post

I'm not picking 25-1 up anymore either.

They seem to be back on the air today. Maybe the winds on Monday knocked them out.

My cable provider is Netflix
post #13200 of 17938 Old 12-10-2005, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Now that Longmont is finally getting ABC over cable (since Nov.22), I'm trying to
'catch up' with a few shows that look interesting.
I saw "lost" for the first time Dec. 7. How did they get to the island? Why are there various
groups and what is their significance, i.e. the 'hugo' group, the dog group,
the baby group, etc. Any info would be appreciated.
Ditto 'Alias'. Desperate Housewives seems self-explanatory.
Thanks.

samsung un75HU8550fxza TS01/GolfP. Never owned a Nova Tek TV. Nvidia gtx980 w/hdmi2.0 out, windows 7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page