New York, NY - TWC - Page 500 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #14971 of 26753 Old 04-10-2008, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 2539
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
VS/Golf in HD running on TWC in Manhattan, channel 794, with a Rangers game. I'm a golf nut so I was looking forward to their coverage of today's first day at the Masters. Instead I get hockey, which I know ends tonight but I couldn't care less about. Oh well, now I can watch Golf Channel in HD and that is reason for me to be happy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14972 of 26753 Old 04-10-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

VS/Golf in HD running on TWC in Manhattan, channel 794, with a Rangers game. I'm a golf nut so I was looking forward to their coverage of today's first day at the Masters. Instead I get hockey, which I know ends tonight but I couldn't care less about. Oh well, now I can watch Golf Channel in HD and that is reason for me to be happy!

The Masters coverage on the Golf Channel wasn't going to be HD (It's just highlights...)

That's why they got some brains this year had made the switch (they weren't so smart last year)
post #14973 of 26753 Old 04-10-2008, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddog View Post

Verizon sues Time Warner Cable

Telephone service provider Verizon Communications brought its battle for video customers to court yesterday, with a lawsuit accusing rival Time Warner Cable of false advertising.

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/busi...p?A=HOME&O=FPW

I don't see how Verizon can win that law suit. At least in NYC, if you want FiOS TV you do have to have a satellite dish since they connect you up with Direct TV. It always annoys me to see Verizon ads that talk about their video quality without specifying that this doesn't apply to NYC.

Cynthia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14974 of 26753 Old 04-10-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynKennard View Post

I don't see how Verizon can win that law suit. At least in NYC, if you want FiOS TV you do have to have a satellite dish since they connect you up with Direct TV. It always annoys me to see Verizon ads that talk about their video quality without specifying that this doesn't apply to NYC.

Cynthia

Verizon does indeed have a claim here. To get FiosTV, you do not need a dish, plain and simple. If FiosTV is not available in your area, they have DirecTV as an option, but it's not considered FiosTV. Crime Warner with their stupid ads about them having fiber is BS as well. Bunch of sore losers....they know that they can't compete with Verizons service, so they try these underhanded scumbag tactics.
post #14975 of 26753 Old 04-10-2008, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post

Verizon does indeed have a claim here. To get FiosTV, you do not need a dish, plain and simple. If FiosTV is not available in your area, they have DirecTV as an option, but it's not considered FiosTV. Crime Warner with their stupid ads about them having fiber is BS as well. Bunch of sore losers....they know that they can't compete with Verizons service, so they try these underhanded scumbag tactics.

the commercial never said FiOS TV needs a dish...

It said the Verizon Triple Play package may require a dish to get tv service.
post #14976 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:

The game looked pretty bad. There were patches of ice with lots of jaggies and fast motion was full of artifacts. I just wanted to point out that I don't think this has anything to do with TW's compression, but rather the source video, since there was a huge PQ upgrade when VS cut from the CBC broadcast to its own studio team.

Actually on Wednesday night the VersusHD picture for Penguins-Sens was very poor. I noticed a big upgrade in quality for both games last night. Not sure what happened but definitely an improvement.
post #14977 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why is everyone watching the Rangers on Vs HD? Isn't it being shown on MSG +HD as well? In general I find Vs's coverage and commentators to be much more annoying than MSG's, so it's an easy decision for me.
post #14978 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 09:28 AM

according to our guide VS-HD is taking the golf channel feed tonight (live from the masters) instead of the VS feed which is the flyers/capitals game 1.

post #14979 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by locogrande View Post

according to our guide VS-HD is taking the golf channel feed tonight (live from the masters) instead of the VS feed which is the flyers/capitals game 1.

it's wrong. it said the same thing last night and showed the hockey.
no worries.

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
[email protected]
post #14980 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSenileGuy View Post

Why is everyone watching the Rangers on Vs HD? Isn't it being shown on MSG +HD as well? In general I find Vs's coverage and commentators to be much more annoying than MSG's, so it's an easy decision for me.

it is not being shown on versus-hd this round for us new yorkers. MSG-HD has rights for local broadcast this round. will we see what happens in the next round

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
[email protected]
post #14981 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNINE View Post

Alright 794HD working on the UWS keep em coming, Berk32 I'm telling you, You can get things done!

All iget is a black screen on 794. Im also on the UWS

ITS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT
post #14982 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHDTV View Post

it's wrong. it said the same thing last night and showed the hockey.
no worries.

whew. hope you're right. thanks
post #14983 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGEL 35 View Post

All iget is a black screen on 794. Im also on the UWS

Reboot your box
post #14984 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locogrande View Post

whew. hope you're right. thanks

He is correct.

Golf Channel 'normally' gets the HD slot on VsGolfHD on Thursday and Friday nights.... (it was actually a problem last year)

This year Comcast (they run these channels) came to their senses last minute and is showing Hockey (the golf content would've been SD anyways)
post #14985 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSenileGuy View Post

Versus can't show any Rangers/Devils playoff games locally that are being broadcast on MSG/MSG+.

Local broadcasters can show the entire first round for their local teams (other than NBC games) - Versus is not exclusive. (Versus isn't even scheduled for its first Rangers/Devils game until Sunday)

We're all talking about the other games on VersusHD... some of us do enjoy watching playoff hockey that may not involve the Rangers.

(For the 2nd round - Versus gets to show 'up to' 2 games from each series exclusively.... they become 100% exclusive for the following round (outside of the NBC games))
post #14986 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 67
FYI from crains new york

Verizon readies FiOs proposal for NYC

The city announced Friday that it will start taking proposals from new cable TV providers, giving Verizon the go-ahead for its fiber-optic cable plan.

April 11. 2008 3:12PMBy: Amanda Fung

After a 18-month-long wait, Verizon Communications Inc. can now move forward with plans to offer television service in New York City. The city announced Friday that it will start taking proposals from new cable TV providers.

The telecom giant's plan to launch television service over its new fiber-optic cable, dubbed FiOS, has been stymied in the past. The City Council authorized the Bloomberg administration to open the cable TV market to competition in October 2006 but the city failed to issue the request for proposals, the next step in allowing in new providers.

We are anxious to review the solicitation, and our intention is to respond to it, said a Verizon spokesman, who could not provide specify how soon the company will respond.

According to the city's Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications, the agency that oversees cable franchises, any company capable of offering TV service to households throughout the city can apply for a cable franchise. There is also no deadline for applicants, the solicitation is non-exclusive and open-ended. However, only Verizon is expected to seek a franchise. The company hopes to obtain one by year-end.

Today we've taken a significant step toward opening this market to potential new providers, said DoITT Commissioner Paul Cosgrave, in a statement. It is our firm belief that direct competition between cable providers will result in greater choice, lower prices and enhanced customer service for cable television subscribers. We look forward to receiving and reviewing these new proposals.

Verizon has been building out its fiber optic network throughout the five boroughs as part of its nationwide, $23-billion project to upgrade its copper wire across the nation. It has already rolled out its high-speed FiOS Internet service over that system to residents. While the company refused to disclose how many buildings are wired, it has identified a half a dozen in New York where FiOS Internet is available. Last month, Verizon said it will bring Internet service to 11,232 households in Manhattan's Stuyvesant Town and Peter Cooper Village apartment complex.

Verizon is already competing against Cablevision Systems Corp. in more than 145 communities in Long Island, where it has been able to obtain cable TV franchise since 2005.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pb...FREE&nocache=1

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #14987 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnnDunn View Post

Yeah, MHD is pretty nice... but it's full of repeats, like many HD-only channels are. I grew tired of it after a couple of weeks.

That's a problem I wouldn't mind having.

Owner: Sony XBR-55A1E, Oppo BDP-103, Kenwood VR5900, Meadowlark Audio Heron-i
post #14988 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Hey all, I'm back using a TW DVR (replacing the bedroom single tuner TiVo) and was wondering if the recording options changed so dramatically from the 8300HD to the 8300HDC.

It used to be that if I scheduled a series recording I could further customize the options to say 'only record on channel xxx.' This no longer seems to be an option on the HDC model. I think I'm remembering this correctly...

Any feedback would be appreciated.
post #14989 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

Reboot your box

Rebooted my box 794 now working.

Thank you

ITS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT
post #14990 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellny View Post

It used to be that if I scheduled a series recording I could further customize the options to say 'only record on channel xxx.' This no longer seems to be an option on the HDC model.

It's not unfortunately. However, while the old way was much better, the new way only records the channel you set the series recording on. For example, to record all episodes of Scrubs you need one series recording for NBC eps, one for Fox repeats and another for CC repeats. In other words it's still possible, just dumber.

What kills me is the missing ability to only record shows at a certain time. Really hope they add that feature in a future software update.
post #14991 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 PM

im using my samsung qam tuner with my hdtv...i get all my ota hd channel like nbc, cbs, pbs etc. plus i was getting tnt hd since last year till this week. tnt hd is no longer available...the channel is no longer there and simply just disappear. did twc do something? any1 know what happen? or is it just my tuner? thx in advance.
post #14992 of 26753 Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post

im using my samsung qam tuner with my hdtv...i get all my ota hd channel like nbc, cbs, pbs etc. plus i was getting tnt hd since last year till this week. tnt hd is no longer available...the channel is no longer there and simply just disappear. did twc do something? any1 know what happen? or is it just my tuner? thx in advance.

I'd say run a full scan... since they do move things around from time to time...

But its very possible that they decided to just encrypt the channel...
post #14993 of 26753 Old 04-12-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchdeeameye View Post

It's not unfortunately. However, while the old way was much better, the new way only records the channel you set the series recording on. For example, to record all episodes of Scrubs you need one series recording for NBC eps, one for Fox repeats and another for CC repeats. In other words it's still possible, just dumber.

What kills me is the missing ability to only record shows at a certain time. Really hope they add that feature in a future software update.

Forgot all about the 'certain time' option - damn. Thanks for the info. I'll deal with it - it is still an overall better experience than the previous iteration so I'm not too upset.
post #14994 of 26753 Old 04-12-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchdeeameye View Post

WOW! That is some BS! I'm going to hold on to my 8300HD for as long as I can. No way I want that "new" crippled POS!
post #14995 of 26753 Old 04-12-2008, 10:56 PM

I am still not getting VS HD here in Howard Beach, Queens. Tried rebooting several times but nothing. Anyone else still having issues?
post #14996 of 26753 Old 04-13-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrashyster View Post

I am still not getting VS HD here in Howard Beach, Queens. Tried rebooting several times but nothing. Anyone else still having issues?

It appears that VS HD (794) is only available in certain areas. I live in northeast Jamaica and I don't get it. I've given up checking and will just wait until 4/30 when they officially turn on all the new HD channels.

Regards...JL
post #14997 of 26753 Old 04-13-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Redundant question, you folks that are not getting VSHD, do you have the DTValue package (as discussed in the last page)?

Larry

post #14998 of 26753 Old 04-13-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

WOO WHO!!!

15,000 posts and 500 pages not to shabby.

Congratulations neighbors!

And kudos to all the posters who stop by and offer quick advice and assistance.

There always seems to be folks in our pool. Some stick their toe in from time to time checking the water while others wade around... or do daily laps.

Keep on stroking.

Larry

post #14999 of 26753 Old 04-13-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Redundant question, you folks that are not getting VSHD, do you have the DTValue package (as discussed in the last page)?

Larry,
Based on my TWC statement, I have the following video related services:
1. Hdxtra Combo Pack
2. All'n One DTV Value

Regards....JL
post #15000 of 26753 Old 04-13-2008, 09:57 AM

Thanks JL. I thought it was only me that was having the problem. Have no idea TWC would roll out VS HD only in some areas (especially Manhattan) but not in Southern Queens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page