Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-27-2019, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Chicago, IL - Metronet HDTV

This post originates on December 27, 2019, where Metronet is now serving a significant portion of the Chicago metropolitan area in north-central and northeastern Illinois. As this is being written, they have expanded from Joilet north and west to now include a good chunk of the western suburbs, including
Batavia, Cortland, DeKalb, Geneva, Montgomery, North Aurora, Oswego, Plainfield, Plano, Romeoville, Sandwich, South Elgin, St Charles, Sugar Grove, Sycamore and Yorkville. Expansion across the Chicago area is expected to continue in 2020.

They are an all-fiber ISP and TV provider from end to end. DeKalb and Sycamore (and likely Cortland) are served by the head-end on the north side of DeKalb.

Comments, concerns, questions about their IPTV and Internet service can be posted in this thread.

Gilbert

Last edited by sebenste; 12-27-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-27-2019, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll kick off this thread by talking about their IPTV. I do not subscribe to it, but I went to the office and played around to see what they have. In my viewpoint, their OTA broadcast quality is typical: a bit below OTA, but still excellent, like the other providers. They do not compress video signals further, outside of changing them to the format that their boxes can decode. A drawback is that they don't have the WCIU family of channels, so no MeTV, The U, or CW26. To me, that's a significant disadvantage.

Although they do not carry any Rockford channels, for whatever reason, they do have an antenna tower specifically to pick up Rockford stations at their north DeKalb head end. A large channel 13 antenna, a low-UHF and a high-UHF very high-gain antennas to obviously pick up WREX-13, WTVO-17, WIFR-23 and WQRF-39 isthere, but none of those are carried in the DeKalb/Sycamore area at this time.

Gilbert
post #3 of 5 Old 12-30-2019, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've been receiving postcards from Metronet for at nearly a year now even before they started construction in Plano. They state Metronet construction is now complete in my area of Plano. I've seen their trucks stringing cable all around town. The most recent postcard said Metronet is now available at my address. Funny thing is they never have strung or buried any cable down my street so I don't know how their service could be available to me even if I wanted it. While their internet options do sound great (no data caps) I wouldn't even consider them since there is no WCIU suite of channels listed for my area.

R. B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-31-2019, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retromzc View Post
I've been receiving postcards from Metronet for at nearly a year now even before they started construction in Plano. They state Metronet construction is now complete in my area of Plano. I've seen their trucks stringing cable all around town. The most recent postcard said Metronet is now available at my address. Funny thing is they never have strung or buried any cable down my street so I don't know how their service could be available to me even if I wanted it. While their internet options do sound great (no data caps) I wouldn't even consider them since there is no WCIU suite of channels listed for my area.
Call them up and find out. Furthermore, just because WCIU isn't available at my location...doesn't mean it isn't available at yours (although logic would say that if it's available in the same market, it should be available everywhere.)

I just looked up the Yorkville channel lineup. WCIU-TV and the subchannels aren't there.

Gilbert
post #5 of 5 Old 05-21-2020, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like Metronet has been affected by the power outage on Willis Tower. Seeing reports that channel 11 is down for the count. I don't know if 2 and 26 are back. Can anyone confirm?

Gilbert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
fiber , internet , iptv , metronet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page