Hartford, CT - OTA - Page 264 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 62Likes

post #7891 of 7894 Old 01-16-2020, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Meanwhile, New Britain's Walnut Hill (i.e. our hospital, park and WWI monument) caused problems for me as it related to Avon Mountain. Never got a watchable signal of analog channel 18 and 24 (before 24's move to Rattlesnake Mountain in 2008-ish). Even VHF channel 3 had issues. Hell, I used to get channel 8 better most of the time. Channel 26 (ION) was there most of the time for digital, but so-so for analog. This is when their transmitter was still in Montville.

Springfield/Holyoke for digital? I received channel 40 one day. For all of 5 minutes. Never picked up channel 22 (NBC) or 57 (PBS).

It sucked having to rely on WEDN-TV (PBS) channel 53 of Norwich for CPTV back in the day. Snowy, but in color and still watchable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7892 of 7894 Old 01-16-2020, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINL71 View Post
Meanwhile, New Britain's Walnut Hill (i.e. our hospital, park and WWI monument) caused problems for me as it related to Avon Mountain. Never got a watchable signal of analog channel 18 and 24 (before 24's move to Rattlesnake Mountain in 2008-ish). Even VHF channel 3 had issues. Hell, I used to get channel 8 better most of the time.
You must of been living right in the shadow of Walnut Hill if you even had issues with channel 3. Compared to ATSC 1.0 signals, which can leave significant terrain shadows, analog VHF signals were good in getting into the nooks and crannies of terrain. You were obviously in a bad spot. Hope you're in a better spot now.
post #7893 of 7894 Old 01-16-2020, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes. The slope of Walnut Hill started very close to my old place. The Rattlesnake towers were about 4.5 miles to my northwest. Springfield and channel 18 came in just fine when I was in the east end near East Street in 1991 (oddly, right about the time 18 was forced off!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7894 of 7894 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
Interesting. I was always told (when in Branford years ago) that Rattlesnake Mountain disrupted the tower's transmissions, but that may have been BS and not pertain to Clinton. My antenna is only used for when cable goes out and so it is in the garage attic, not helpful of course. I do live on a small hill.
I was up on top of a hill about 2 miles south of 80 off of 79 with an antenna in an attic 30' off the ground, so it was a pretty good setup for having a shot at getting WFSB and the others, although I only had a Clearstream 2v, not a 4v or DB-8e. There's definitely some sginal to work with if you're up high enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page