South Bend, IN - HDTV - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #3391 of 3965 Old 07-25-2010, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if I came across rude earlier lol.

Actually DaveB447 is right on. It just sounds (to me) like something is running 'hot' somewhere along the way. If possible hopefully someone who works at WNDU can get a chance to tune in via Comcast in the affected area.

I just switched to OTA and the audio sounds fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3965 Old 07-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Alright HVS.. When you said the guide data for 25.2 should show up in a few days, was that a Freudian slip and you meant a few weeks, or is something wrong with Tribune Media Services? I don't get how TitanTV can already have the guide listings just days after 25.2 went on the air and Tribune Media Services (who provides guide data to satellite, set top boxes, and DVR's like Mediacenter in general) does not. How can we get a hold of Tribune Media Services so we can complain?
post #3393 of 3965 Old 07-27-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixfury View Post

Alright HVS.. When you said the guide data for 25.2 should show up in a few days, was that a Freudian slip and you meant a few weeks, or is something wrong with Tribune Media Services? I don't get how TitanTV can already have the guide listings just days after 25.2 went on the air and Tribune Media Services (who provides guide data to satellite, set top boxes, and DVR's like Mediacenter in general) does not. How can we get a hold of Tribune Media Services so we can complain?

It's tribune. They were this slow when we launched the LD's.

"Celebrating over 20 years of creating new and inovative ways to completely screw up television programming!"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3394 of 3965 Old 07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

It's tribune. They were this slow when we launched the LD's.

I don't remember how long it took last time. This is driving me crazy because nearly everything I watch is on in the evening. This means for the time being I have to set Mediacenter the same way you set a good ol' fashion VCR.. The problem with that is no matter how many times I do that, I somehow screw it up every time and miss the recording. This for me has become a daunting task. I've been biting my lip and hoping that any day now the guide data for 25.2 would start flowing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HVS, you mean this Tribune?

http://www.tribune.com/about/webguide/index.html

As it turns out, Tribune Media Services is a subsidiary of these guys. I don't know if it will do any good, but when I get home from work tonight (providing I still don't see any guide data) I'm going to hit the contact link and try to find out what's going on. I'll be nice and not mention that TitanTV had been flowing with guide data from the get go.. But that depends on how grouchy I feel about the lack of guide data after work.. Oh heck, I've been grouchy since TitanTV got the guide data first.. Yeah I'm going to gripe about that, that's for sure.. What's Tribune's excuse?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure it's Tribune I need to contact, I think it's their subsidiary Tribune Media Service.

Well anywho, I think this is probably the best place to start with an inquiry.

http://www.zap2it.com/services/site/...9403.htmlstory
post #3395 of 3965 Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

I just sent this to Zap2it.

25.2 (This TV) has been on the air nearly 3 weeks now, but yet no one in my area has been picking up any guide data for this channel, I understand that Zap2It provides guide data to WindowsMedia Center, Tivo's and Satellite set top boxes. I'm wondering when the guide data for this channel will become available.

PS. TitanTV.com has had the guide data for this channel nearly a couple of days after 25.2 had hit the air. How is it they are already providing guide data online, but Zap2It is still behind? Sorry, but I'm pretty frustrated as Zap2It provides the guide data that allows my DVR to work. Is 25.2 even on Zap2It's radar right now?
post #3396 of 3965 Old 07-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 317 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Tribune is slower at this today than they were back in 1999...and they were painfully slow then.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #3397 of 3965 Old 07-27-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

9-14-07:
Quote:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to announce that as of 12:20pm EST WBND-LD is ON THE AIR!!!!! WCWW-LD will be next and WMYS-LD after that.

The stations were off the air for technical legal issues on the 24th and returned at the beginning of October.

10-10-07:
Quote:

OK here's whats going on. Each DTV station has a TSID which is Transmission Signal ID that is embedded in the data in a DTV signal. The FCC said LD's didn't need a TSID. The hang-up is D* and E* need a TSID to add us into their data. So you can fill in the blanks from there.

10-11-07:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalurker View Post

UPDATE: EPG IS UP ON E* FOR 025-01 and 057-01 !!!!
Re-adding channels may be needed.

10-12-07:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

None of them are showing up on zap2it yet either.

10-13-07:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmicrowave2002 View Post

25.1/57.1/69.1 were added to Tribune Media Services shortly after they signed on 9/14/07.

10-30-07:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmicrowave2002 View Post

You should now see guide data on WCWW 25.1/WBND 57.1/WMYS 69.1 via OTA.

11-11-07:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

Now we're getting somewhere. Standalone TiVos woke up with 25.1 & 57.1 this morning.

It looks like it took nearly two months from air until Zap2it had the guide data for the launch of the three LDs. DISH actually had the data the day after the TSID issue was fixed (less than a month after air).

I assume the 25.2 data is getting to TMS ... it now seems to be an issue with getting TMS to pass it on. Hopefully before two months from now.
post #3398 of 3965 Old 07-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Got a response from TMS (Zap2It.)

Dear Zap2it user,

Thank you for the updated information in your email below. We have forwarded your email to our database team who will work to resolve this issue in a timely manner.

Thank you for being a user of Zap2it TV Listings -- we will continue to work hard to provide the most up to date listings for you.
post #3399 of 3965 Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 PM

I'm not sure when it happened since I missed Monday and Tuesday but the audio on WNDU's late news tonight (Wed, July 28) sounds much better, back to normal I'd say. It also seems like maybe their noon news hasn't bothered my ears so much the last couple of days. If the problem has been fixed then thanks to whomever did it and if it's just my hearing degrading to where I can't tell the difference anymore then nevermind.
post #3400 of 3965 Old 07-29-2010, 02:01 PM

I came here to say thanks to WNDU!! The audio sounds so much better now! Thank you!!
post #3401 of 3965 Old 08-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

This is probably just a coincidence but I just upgraded my videocard and ran into a really bad dark flickering problem on some channels, especially if there was a dark scene. However I played around with the video settings and was able to make the dark flickering go away. The problem is during and after the flickering problem, I noticed 25.2's video appears to stutter like there are dropped frames. This is real apparent during scenes where there is any kind of motion. This doesn't appear visible most of the time, but sticks out like a sore thumb as I said during scenes where the camera or a character just suddenly moves. Coincidently 25.2 appears to be the only channel affected. I don't know if it's always been like this and my new videocard issue exposed it to me. You know kind of like getting a new TV with a scratch on it that you don't notice until you see the scratch.. Then you can't not see it anymore. It's kind of like that for me. LOL! I'm sure it's just my setup. I plan on formatting and re-installing in hopes this resolves my video problem, but I can't even do that until I get my back up drive fixed or replaced. That just happened to croak this weekend and I bought that thing in February.. Well anywho, I was just wondering if anyone else is seeing this motion stuttering on 25.2 that I'm seeing, or is it just me?
post #3402 of 3965 Old 08-04-2010, 04:40 PM

THIS TV has been added to Comcast - channel 245 on a box (not active on my DTA yet), 121-2 on ClearQAM.
post #3403 of 3965 Old 08-04-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This is probably just a coincidence but I just upgraded my videocard and ran into a really bad dark flickering problem on some channels, especially if there was a dark scene. However I played around with the video settings and was able to make the dark flickering go away. The problem is during and after the flickering problem, I noticed 25.2's video appears to stutter like there are dropped frames. This is real apparent during scenes where there is any kind of motion. This doesn't appear visible most of the time, but sticks out like a sore thumb as I said during scenes where the camera or a character just suddenly moves. Coincidently 25.2 appears to be the only channel affected. I don't know if it's always been like this and my new videocard issue exposed it to me. You know kind of like getting a new TV with a scratch on it that you don't notice until you see the scratch.. Then you can't not see it anymore. It's kind of like that for me. LOL! I'm sure it's just my setup. I plan on formatting and re-installing in hopes this resolves my video problem, but I can't even do that until I get my back up drive fixed or replaced. That just happened to croak this weekend and I bought that thing in February.. Well anywho, I was just wondering if anyone else is seeing this motion stuttering on 25.2 that I'm seeing, or is it just me?

I've experienced similar with a VGA card and video on the desktop not related to a DTV tuner.

"Celebrating over 20 years of creating new and inovative ways to completely screw up television programming!"

post #3404 of 3965 Old 08-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've experienced similar with a VGA card and video on the desktop not related to a DTV tuner.

I agree. I've checked both OTA and cable and both are displaying 25.2 with out any problems. I think there's something underlying going on in my system. I hope restoring my system will fix it, because the stuttering video is really annoying me.

By the way the card I got is a Radeon 5750. This card really smokes!
post #3405 of 3965 Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 AM

ZAP2it is now listing 25.2 in their online TV listings guide on zap2it.com.
post #3406 of 3965 Old 08-05-2010, 02:18 PM

hvs10trk: Will 25.2 eventually carry EPG data? I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about and you may not know either, so I'll elaborate. Both of my TVs are capable of displaying data about the digital OTA program currently being viewed, such as program title, program description, rating, etc. I think I read somewhere that this information is included in the PSIP. Unlike the other OTA channels, I haven't been seeing any of this data on 25.2.
post #3407 of 3965 Old 08-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

I see that thistv.com now automatically forwards to http://southbend.thistv.com/#. (Not This Michiana?) Well anyway the front page looks pretty slick!
post #3408 of 3965 Old 08-09-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGTech View Post

hvs10trk: Will 25.2 eventually carry EPG data? I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about and you may not know either, so I'll elaborate. Both of my TVs are capable of displaying data about the digital OTA program currently being viewed, such as program title, program description, rating, etc. I think I read somewhere that this information is included in the PSIP. Unlike the other OTA channels, I haven't been seeing any of this data on 25.2.

Coming soon.......

post #3409 of 3965 Old 08-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like all the online tv guides that matter finally have guide info for this. I just checked tvguide.com and sure enough 25.2's data is there. Now I just have to wait for Microsoft to get their rear in gear and start adding 25.2's data from Zap2It. You'd think if it was already on Zap2It's site, you'd just start getting the guide data. Apparently it just doesn't work that way. This does worry me a little though. I remember Zap2It had guide data for 22.2 SBT2 for the longest time for Comcast, but not for broadcast. However that was long before the digital transition. I'm sure they are more all the ball about that sort of thing now. The problem is when a problem like this does crop up, you don't know who you need to talk to.. :-/
post #3410 of 3965 Old 08-10-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Looks like all the online tv guides that matter finally have guide info for this. I just checked tvguide.com and sure enough 25.2's data is there. Now I just have to wait for Microsoft to get their rear in gear and start adding 25.2's data from Zap2It. You'd think if it was already on Zap2It's site, you'd just start getting the guide data. Apparently it just doesn't work that way. This does worry me a little though. I remember Zap2It had guide data for 22.2 SBT2 for the longest time for Comcast, but not for broadcast. However that was long before the digital transition. I'm sure they are more all the ball about that sort of thing now. The problem is when a problem like this does crop up, you don't know who you need to talk to.. :-/

It'll be there for OTA soon.

post #3411 of 3965 Old 08-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It'll be there for OTA soon.

Awesome! I just hope Microsoft had fixed Mediacenter to pick up PSIP EPG data when Zap2It's data isn't available. Sure Zap2It's data is more desirable, but the PSIP EPG is better than nothing. :-) The only thing that makes me think that Mediacenter might pick up the PSIP data is because it automatically named 25.2 This.
post #3412 of 3965 Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 AM

I just installed a new HDHomeRun tuner on my network, and one of my machines that never had a tuner installed had guide data for 25.2 on Media Center.
post #3413 of 3965 Old 08-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you for the heads up Mbkeller! I found my manual addition of 25.2 didn't bring in any guide data, but I put the check back in the original 25.2 channel that was detected by Mediacenter. Low and behold, I have guide data!
post #3414 of 3965 Old 08-24-2010, 11:06 AM

Well, actually, I have satellite (Dish). But I'm thinking of quitting all paid programming and going to a combination of OTA (which I already have set up) and streaming Netflix and internet TV functions.

Am I right that our local TV still doesn't doesn't do that TV-GOS thing (or whatever it's called) that allows some recording devices to record programs from numerical codes?

Also, if anyone has tips about the rest, that will be welcome, but I assume that a broader AVS forum will be another stop for me in this process, when it comes to gear and tech questions about internet.

Thanks in advance!
post #3415 of 3965 Old 08-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bada Bing View Post

Well, actually, I have satellite (Dish). But I'm thinking of quitting all paid programming and going to a combination of OTA (which I already have set up) and streaming Netflix and internet TV functions.

Am I right that our local TV still doesn't doesn't do that TV-GOS thing (or whatever it's called) that allows some recording devices to record programs from numerical codes?

Also, if anyone has tips about the rest, that will be welcome, but I assume that a broader AVS forum will be another stop for me in this process, when it comes to gear and tech questions about internet.

Thanks in advance!

I had the Dish DTV Pal DVR and that was supposed to support TV GOS, but that never worked for me so I don't think it's in our area.

Considering that my cable bill (I do have triple play) has escalated to to around the $200 mark monthly, I'm also considering cutting the cord. Well sort of. I'd like to drop both cable TV and the phone, but I'll keep the internet. I watch more OTA than I do cable.. Most of the time I forget cable tv even exists. I've been perfectly happy with the OTA and Netflix combo. Now if I can get my house mates to order satellite for themselves, because they are the only reason Comunistcast is still getting so much money from me. Personally I can't wait to cut the cord.
post #3416 of 3965 Old 08-24-2010, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I had the Dish DTV Pal DVR and that was supposed to support TV GOS, but that never worked for me so I don't think it's in our area.

Considering that my cable bill (I do have triple play) has escalated to to around the $200 mark monthly, I'm also considering cutting the cord. Well sort of. I'd like to drop both cable TV and the phone, but I'll keep the internet. I watch more OTA than I do cable.. Most of the time I forget cable tv even exists. I've been perfectly happy with the OTA and Netflix combo. Now if I can get my house mates to order satellite for themselves, because they are the only reason Comunistcast is still getting so much money from me. Personally I can't wait to cut the cord.

I quit cable almost 3 years ago. Now the wife still complains about not getting Animal Planet, but mostly we are happy with OTA, netflix and a few free channels we get FTA on our big dish. I do have a HTPC so I can watch any streaming video I can find on the web. There is still a lot more TV available than I have time for.
post #3417 of 3965 Old 08-27-2010, 05:13 AM

Thanks. Sorry to be not up-to-speed, but I didn't know what FTA or HTCP were at all until I Googled after your message. I gather that FTA means that some satellite signals are available without subscription (what signals, and what kind of receiver is needed?) and that HTCP means using a computer, presumably connected to the internet, to connect to your video system (I have an old laptop that could be dedicated to that, but the video resolution in not ideal)?
post #3418 of 3965 Old 08-27-2010, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. Sorry to be not up-to-speed, but I didn't know what FTA or HTCP were at all until I Googled after your message. I gather that FTA means that some satellite signals are available without subscription (what signals, and what kind of receiver is needed?) and that HTCP means using a computer, presumably connected to the internet, to connect to your video system (I have an old laptop that could be dedicated to that, but the video resolution in not ideal)?

I'm not familiar with FTA myself but I can explain HTPC which means home theater PC. HTPC's are typically heavy on multimedia features like DVD / Blu-ray, television tuners, and sometimes may play back music and photo's using a multimedia software that uses what is called a 10 foot interface. What that means is the PC is running a mediacenter program that is meant to be viewable typically in a living room, home theater, or mediaroom at least 10 feet away from your couch. This is also referred to as a lean back experience where viewing content directly on a PC is a lean forward experience.

If you hook your laptop up to your tv, I highly recommend you check out a free program called Boxee. This won't magically turn your laptop into an HTPC, but what it will do is allow you to stream plenty of internet content to your tv with the 10 foot lean back experience. Boxee is very similar to typical HTPC software minus the fact you can't add blu-ray or tv tuners it. However you can watch a lot of television that is streamed from cable and network tv sites and Hulu. You can find Boxee at boxee.net.
post #3419 of 3965 Old 08-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I have a computer running MythTV. I can add most any kind of tuner, including a satellite tuner to get the free channels. I can get quite a few free channels on satellite, this site is a good place to look. You can also buy a receiver instead of using a computer. This is a good site with discussion of FTA reception. Setting up a MythTV computer is not for the faint of heart, it probably took me at least 6 months to get it working good enough to use regularly. I'm sure Windows Media Center is a lot easier to get going on, but I haven't tried it.
post #3420 of 3965 Old 09-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Anybody noticing bad audio on 22-1. I have noticed level changes like there is some "Automatic" device trying to control the loudness of the audio but it is screwing it up instead.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page