South Bend, IN - HDTV - Page 115 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #3421 of 3965 Old 09-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just FYI, still not seeing PSIP guide data for 25.2. This doesn't affect me very much since I use Mediacenter's guide. I ran a system restore, so I had to rely on my tv's tuner and it's telling me there is no program info available for 25.2. Just FYI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3965 Old 09-08-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DISH Network customers with HD receivers (ViP models) should be able to get the EPG data for 25-2 after their next reboot:

Channel Addition ---
15400 WCWW2 SOUTH BEND, IN (CW) added to 119° 1sA11 (Lansing) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG OTA Mapping (-02)

DISH is not transmitting the channel itself, just the EPG data. At least now we'll know what is on!
post #3423 of 3965 Old 09-08-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalurker View Post

DISH Network customers with HD receivers (ViP models) should be able to get the EPG data for 25-2 after their next reboot:

Channel Addition ---
15400 WCWW2 SOUTH BEND, IN (CW) added to 119° 1sA11 (Lansing) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG OTA Mapping (-02)

DISH is not transmitting the channel itself, just the EPG data. At least now we'll know what is on!

Grumble grumble ... I changed the "nightly update" time on my receivers to force them to add this EPG data and found out that DISH has the wrong data there. They have 25-1 data on the 25-2 channel.

And I was just about to write them a thank you note for adding the data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3424 of 3965 Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 AM

Whatever happened to the switch back to actual channel 46? I get a lot of interference between channel 46 and 57 and I think the switch would help.
post #3425 of 3965 Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 PM

Really long-winded rant; I get to typing and it gets away from me.

I feel compelled to comment again on WNDU's inability to operate their new switching equipment because the last time I complained (5-13-10) they had what appeared to be a flawless broadcast within a day or two. Since then though, not so much. I still see some really long delays (several seconds of black is an eternity in broadcasting and not getting off the talent for several seconds after they finish speaking also appears amateurish) between sources, screwed up or missing audio, and just this evening (Thurs 9-9-10) they completely messed up the break before the weather segment (among other less obvious errors). I also notice that the news people have learned to say nothing until Jay Leno appears because somebody is really slow at shutting off their mikes at the end of the broadcast. Is this still a problem with "audio follows video"? Turn it off or somethin'.

Somebody commented after my last tirade that they hoped some of the engineers at WNDU read the comments on this site but this is not a problem with the engineers. I have a feeling that the equipment is operating entirely correctly and is hooked up exactly right but that the people doing the actual switching (which used to be the Production Department many years ago and might still be) have still not read the book on the new hardware.

I make the same recommendation I did previously; take it all off line and practice, practice, practice. Also RTFM. Get whoever it was that did that flawless broadcast a while back and have them give a class or something.

On a completely different subject and nothing to do with the digital transition, sometime soon it would be nice to find somebody who can spell and proofread to type in the stuff that shows up at the bottom of the screen and various other places. I can't fault WNDU solely for this since it seems none of the local stations is immune to making at least a couple of these totally avoidable errors every day. Since nobody reads anymore it probably goes mostly unnoticed except by annoying old guys like me.

On another completely different subject, I noticed that I can tune in a widescreen version of WSBT at 22-1 on the cable with my Panasonic DVR/VCR combo along with the "regular" version at channel 12 and also a widescreen version of WSJV at 28-2 but when I find the corresponding channel for WNDU at 16-1 it is just the same as the "regular" version at channel 8 even though the info shows it is HD. Is WNDU not sending Comcast a widescreen signal? Is Comcast not using the widescreen signal WNDU is sending them? This has been the case for a long time now and I just wonder why WNDU doesn't get a widescreen channel like them other guys.

That's it for now; I'm going back into the weeds to lurk.
post #3426 of 3965 Old 09-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Maybe I should post a complaint every couple of days or so since I thought the Friday late news on WNDU looked very good (after my rant about their Thursday broadcast). As I said back in May, that's one in a row. I have no expectations about the Saturday or Sunday broadcasts because I know everybody has other stuff on their minds like football and going to church and such. But I'll be watching on Monday, waiting to see something wrong. I'm not sure why Friday's went so well but whatever it was, keep doing that. Do I expect perfection? Well, yeah, I guess I do but I also know that an occasional glitch is unavoidable and forgiveable as long as it is actually occasional and not three or four per broadcast. Thanks for doing such a good job on Friday.
post #3427 of 3965 Old 09-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

I'm showing a very weak signal for channel 69 and not able to receive it on both my PC's tuners and my television. Is 69 down again?
post #3428 of 3965 Old 09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB447 View Post

Maybe I should post a complaint every couple of days or so since I thought the Friday late news on WNDU looked very good (after my rant about their Thursday broadcast). As I said back in May, that's one in a row. I have no expectations about the Saturday or Sunday broadcasts because I know everybody has other stuff on their minds like football and going to church and such. But I'll be watching on Monday, waiting to see something wrong. I'm not sure why Friday's went so well but whatever it was, keep doing that. Do I expect perfection? Well, yeah, I guess I do but I also know that an occasional glitch is unavoidable and forgiveable as long as it is actually occasional and not three or four per broadcast. Thanks for doing such a good job on Friday.

I was picking up their digital signal for the first time in Gary, and WNDU does look horrible. It looks just as bad as WMAQ in Chicago, and WMAQ has 2 subchannels (weather radar, but will be replaced with Chicago Nonstop in October, & Universal Sports, which is an unnecessary channel). I don't know about those who live within WMDU's Grade A & B coverage, but for where I live at on the fringe of their coverage area, 16.1 stayed steady, but looked grainy, while 16.2 pixelated a lot. WSBT-TV looks better, though not as great as WBBM-TV, due to WSBT-TV having 2 subchannels, while CBS O&O aren't allowed to have subchannels, like WBBM-TV. That has been the station that's coming in strong in Gary a lot lately (almost all day). Had WNDU gone back to 16, I might get them more, as I got them a lot when their analog was on 16.
post #3429 of 3965 Old 09-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Hey HVS, is this going to be an upcoming headache for you? I remember when I first heard about it, there was a lot of opposition coming from the television broadcast industry. I don't know if that's because they didn't know enough about it at the time, or if it really will be a problem for broadcasters.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/13/f...ts-innovators/
post #3430 of 3965 Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixfury View Post

Hey HVS, is this going to be an upcoming headache for you? I remember when I first heard about it, there was a lot of opposition coming from the television broadcast industry. I don't know if that's because they didn't know enough about it at the time, or if it really will be a problem for broadcasters.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/13/f...ts-innovators/

Unlicensed use would be a potential nightmare. Especially if they step over a DTV and no one can figure out who it is.

"Celebrating over 20 years of creating new and inovative ways to completely screw up television programming!"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #3431 of 3965 Old 09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

Unlicensed use would be a potential nightmare. Especially if they step over a DTV and no one can figure out who it is.

Oh yeah what's up with 69.1. Is it you or me? I can't tune in on any of my tuners.
post #3432 of 3965 Old 09-13-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Oh yeah what's up with 69.1. Is it you or me? I can't tune in on any of my tuners.

I'm getting it ... at 66 signal strength compared to 73 for 57.1 and 100 for 25.1/2 . I'm due east of the tower site.
post #3433 of 3965 Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Running at lower power at the moment.

"Celebrating over 20 years of creating new and inovative ways to completely screw up television programming!"

post #3434 of 3965 Old 09-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Running at lower power at the moment.

Cutting back power on 69 so you guys can afford to upgrade 25 and 57 to Dolby Digital? Ok that's not likely but I can dream can't I? LOL!
post #3435 of 3965 Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked: 1766
Quote:

Cutting back power on 69 so you guys can afford to upgrade 25 and 57 to Dolby Digital? Ok that's not likely but I can dream can't I? LOL!

seconded

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
post #3436 of 3965 Old 09-14-2010, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Funny

post #3437 of 3965 Old 09-15-2010, 01:11 PM

HVS, the PSIP EPG data for 69.1 is not getting updated as the programming schedule changes. This has been going on for quite a while. For example, I Love Lucy is still listed at 3:30 PM ET, even though Mork & Mindy replaced Lucy quite a while ago and now Leave It to Beaver is in that time slot. This is just an example. There are currently many errors.
post #3438 of 3965 Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGTech View Post

HVS, the PSIP EPG data for 69.1 is not getting updated as the programming schedule changes. This has been going on for quite a while. For example, I Love Lucy is still listed at 3:30 PM ET, even though Mork & Mindy replaced Lucy quite a while ago and now Leave It to Beaver is in that time slot. This is just an example. There are currently many errors.

Should be better now.

post #3439 of 3965 Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Should be better now.

Just wondering what's the status of channel 69? Is it permanently at the lower power or is it temporary? I just need to know if I need to delete it from my line up. If I can't receive it, I may as well delete it. Otherwise it kind of messes up my movie listings in Mediacenter. I'm hoping it comes back though for me, there's a lot of good shows on that channel that I love.
post #3440 of 3965 Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Should be better now.

Thanks HVS. Looks good.
post #3441 of 3965 Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Should be better now.

69.1's PSIP guide has reverted to what we were seeing before 9/16/10.
post #3442 of 3965 Old 09-23-2010, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I was wondering if on WNIT 34.2, if all widescreen programming is zoomed in. I notice when I do pickup this station from Gary, that some widescreen programming has text on the left and/or right, and cutoff. I noticed this when WNIT simulcasts 34.1 on 34.2. I don't know if they do the same thing when the programming on 34.2 is programmed by WNIT. The reason I don't know about the entire day is because it's only been coming in late at night. I don't know if I would get this station regularly, if I had an antenna aimed at South Bend. I thought WTTW Prime 11.2 from Chicago was bad at that, as they've aired Nature, Nova, and some other widescreen programming, & forgot to place the top & bottom bars. So when widescreen programming was shown on 11.2, it would be zoomed in, and wouldn't be able to see anything on the left & right of the picture. If this only happens when WNIT simulcasts 34.1 on 34.2, if they really care if it's zoomed in or not. All I can say that I don't like that at all. I've ridiculed WTTW over this with their WTTW Prime channel (a 24 hour primetime channel, programmed by WTTW), when they forget to reset widescreen programming to show in letterbox form. I suggested to that station to make it 480i widescreen. I'm thinking WNIT should do the same thing with 34.2.
post #3443 of 3965 Old 09-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Hey HVS, you may want to start stocking up on Advil..

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/23/f...-for-super-wi/

25-2 is still not showing any guide data over PSIP. I'm not affected because I get my guide data over Windows Mediacenter. However my brother can't schedule recordings on his DVR that relies on PSIP EPG guide data.

I'm really bummed about 69-1 still not working in my area. I was hoping to get back into watching wrestling on Friday nights, but the lower power has dashed my ability to pick up the channel at all. I'm still wondering what's going on with WMYS. Is this a permanent change or temporary?
post #3444 of 3965 Old 09-24-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hey HVS, you may want to start stocking up on Advil..

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/23/f...-for-super-wi/

25-2 is still not showing any guide data over PSIP. I'm not affected because I get my guide data over Windows Mediacenter. However my brother can't schedule recordings on his DVR that relies on PSIP EPG guide data.

I'm really bummed about 69-1 still not working in my area. I was hoping to get back into watching wrestling on Friday nights, but the lower power has dashed my ability to pick up the channel at all. I'm still wondering what's going on with WMYS. Is this a permanent change or temporary?

Temporary.

post #3445 of 3965 Old 09-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Temporary.

Sorry to be such a pest about that. I figured this was probably temporary but I couldn't help but wonder since not a lot has been said about the lower power or why it's even happening. I can understand if you have to stay mum on the issue. I just needed to know if I needed to avoid scheduling anything from that channel for a while, namely movies.

I know this is way off topic, but I thought I'd post that I just ordered the new Apple TV. (2010 model) I was torn between getting this or the Roku HD as a media streamer. This is to replace my Netflix HD service I was receiving on my Xbox 360 since Microshaft decided to jack up the price of Xbox Live Gold up to $10 per month. My only reason for keeping XBL Gold was for Netflix HD streaming, but at $10 it's no longer economical and doesn't make sense when I can get a dedicated player that can Stream Netflix HD for free. Also since I live in an iTunes world and have a lot of audio & video content there, the Apple TV just made more sense. I'll let you guys know how the Apple TV pans out for me. I'm sure some of you like me have cut the cord on cable TV (not internet) and need a video on demand solution and I believe the Apple TV is the best bet for a alternative video on demand solution.
post #3446 of 3965 Old 09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

I'm 27 minutes into watching the season premier of Smallville season 10. The audio crackled real bad. Just FYI.
post #3447 of 3965 Old 09-24-2010, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm 27 minutes into watching the season premier of Smallville season 10. The audio crackled real bad. Just FYI.

Same here. I thought this was fixed?

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
post #3448 of 3965 Old 09-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

I may soon be able to re-encode Windows 7 .wtv (the format Mediacenter 7 records tv to) into iPod friendly h.264 MP4 files. With that said, this may also allow me to take clips of audio video problems and post them on here. I'll have to experiment a little with that. I'm looking at two possible prospects for re-encoding, one's free and the other isn't.. The free option is in beta and isn't working for me yet. I'm holding out for them to work out the bugs before I pay for the not so free option.

Well actually you can download Windows Movie Maker Live for free. Good option to, except I found for some reason the audio re-encodes really low with that program. So I'm not looking at that one for an option.

Actually I'm attempting to use Movie Maker yet again. Hopefully the audio won't be low this time. If I can get the clip of the audio problem, I will post it here.
post #3449 of 3965 Old 09-25-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I may soon be able to re-encode Windows 7 .wtv (the format Mediacenter 7 records tv to) into iPod friendly h.264 MP4 files. With that said, this may also allow me to take clips of audio video problems and post them on here. I'll have to experiment a little with that. I'm looking at two possible prospects for re-encoding, one's free and the other isn't.. The free option is in beta and isn't working for me yet. I'm holding out for them to work out the bugs before I pay for the not so free option.

Well actually you can download Windows Movie Maker Live for free. Good option to, except I found for some reason the audio re-encodes really low with that program. So I'm not looking at that one for an option.

Actually I'm attempting to use Movie Maker yet again. Hopefully the audio won't be low this time. If I can get the clip of the audio problem, I will post it here.

I first convert to WTV file to DVRMS (using right click/convert to DVRMS), then I use DVRMStoMPEGGUI to convert the DVRMS file to an MPEG file, and then I usually cut commercials using avisynth and encode to h264 using the gui I created, ASXGui (available for free online. It hasn't been updated in almost a year but still works good for me)

It's a lengthy process but it works.

post #3450 of 3965 Old 09-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post

I first convert to WTV file to DVRMS (using right click/convert to DVRMS), then I use DVRMStoMPEGGUI to convert the DVRMS file to an MPEG file, and then I usually cut commercials using avisynth and encode to h264 using the gui I created, ASXGui (available for free online. It hasn't been updated in almost a year but still works good for me)

It's a lengthy process but it works.

You could also try this.. However I'm having problems getting this working. So are several other people.. But hey it's beta, what do you expect?

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/09/25/a-...ur-ios-device/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page