South Bend, IN - HDTV - Page 116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #3451 of 3965 Old 09-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
HVS grab the popcorn and enjoy the movie! This happened 27 minutes into this weeks episode of Smallville.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3965 Old 09-26-2010, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm hoping an antenna expert might be able to help me.

I live approximately 8 miles north of the WNDU tower and I have an unobstructed 50' outdoor antenna.

WNDU's signal constantly fluctuates for me, whereas WSBT and WSJV are solid. My digital tuner's signal strength meter shows WSBT and WSJV at near 100% with no fluctuations. However, WNDU bounces from 100 to 0 to 40 to 60 to ... Just all over the place. Obviously, the picture drops out ever few seconds along with these fluctuations.

Being that I am so close to the tower and have a nice antenna that has perfect reception for WSBT and WSJV, why do you think I experience this problem with WNDU? Online research shows me that WNDU's tower is in roughly the same location as the other two, so I really don't understand why it fluctuates the full spectrum. Shouldn't it either be weak, strong, or somewhere in the middle?

Any ideas?
post #3453 of 3965 Old 09-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Evader View Post

I live approximately 8 miles north of the WNDU tower and I have an unobstructed 50' outdoor antenna.

WNDU's signal constantly fluctuates for me, whereas WSBT and WSJV are solid. My digital tuner's signal strength meter shows WSBT and WSJV at near 100% with no fluctuations. However, WNDU bounces from 100 to 0 to 40 to 60 to ... Just all over the place. Obviously, the picture drops out ever few seconds along with these fluctuations.

Being that I am so close to the tower and have a nice antenna that has perfect reception for WSBT and WSJV, why do you think I experience this problem with WNDU? Online research shows me that WNDU's tower is in roughly the same location as the other two, so I really don't understand why it fluctuates the full spectrum. Shouldn't it either be weak, strong, or somewhere in the middle?

Any ideas?

I'm not an antenna expert, but I can tell you digital TV is line of sight. You may need to use a site like tvfool.com to figure out exactly where all the towers are in relation to where you live. The key is trying to find that middle ground between your weakest and strongest stations to aim the antenna. Start by aiming at the weakest first which oddly enough is WNDU for you. If you still have a great signal coming from the other channels, then your all done. If not, you may need to compromise. TVFool.com and a compass are your best bet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3454 of 3965 Old 09-26-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

North might be a problem as the tower field south of South Bend runs east to west ... so you're not aiming at all of the signals. You can pick one to aim at or aim between towers, but they are not all at the same azimuth.

There may be a problem with multi-path. With a good antenna you could be picking up a weak reflection strong enough to cause interference. 50ft should clear most obstructions but buildings can cause reflections and there are plenty of over 50ft buildings in South Bend/Mishawaka.

WNDU may not be your weakest signal ... it may be your strongest but the interference is showing a poor signal lock. Some tuner signal meters show signal strength, most show signal quality. Too much signal isn't a good thing.

Bouncing makes me think that there is something moving between you and the signal. A treeline or trucks on the Toll Road or other highway?
post #3455 of 3965 Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

Should be better now.

HVS, it looked like 69.1's PSIP EPG problem was fixed again on Friday. Today it's carrying the old, incorrect data again.
post #3456 of 3965 Old 09-30-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2181 Post(s)
Liked: 1719
I've been noticing on ABC57, the black levels are way too high. This has been happening since at least Tuesday, possibly longer. Blacks look like mid greys. Other channels look fine.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
post #3457 of 3965 Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post

I've been noticing on ABC57, the black levels are way too high. This has been happening since at least Tuesday, possibly longer. Blacks look like mid greys. Other channels look fine.

Are you noticing this on a certain program or time of day? Overall black levels are ok on our end.

"Celebrating over 20 years of creating new and inovative ways to completely screw up television programming!"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #3458 of 3965 Old 10-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Which programs are you watching on 57? I'll try to record some of them and see if I notice the same thing. If I see what you are seeing, I'll upload a clip like I did with the other weeks Smallville audio glitch.
post #3459 of 3965 Old 10-05-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Are you noticing this on a certain program or time of day? Overall black levels are ok on our end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixfury View Post

Which programs are you watching on 57? I'll try to record some of them and see if I notice the same thing. If I see what you are seeing, I'll upload a clip like I did with the other weeks Smallville audio glitch.

I noticed the problem on Modern Family, The Middle and No Ordinary Family last week, as well as Modern Family and The Middle the week before. Other channels, including CW25 looked fine. I suppose it could be ABC's fault, but I would think they would know better than that.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
post #3460 of 3965 Old 10-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any ideas?

Going to take a couple stabs here:
1) You are getting interference from W22AJ
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=68061

your antenna does not have enough directionality. Try one with more elements focused towards the transmitter to reject signals from everywhere else. 50' is a nice height so you may be picking up stuff from other areas.

2) More likely perhaps, you have signal overload. Try throwing in a 3dB or 6dB attenuator inline. WSJV and WSBT have much lower ERP than WNDU.

try #2 first!
good luck.
post #3461 of 3965 Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I noticed the problem on Modern Family, The Middle and No Ordinary Family last week, as well as Modern Family and The Middle the week before. Other channels, including CW25 looked fine. I suppose it could be ABC's fault, but I would think they would know better than that.

Hmmm. I noticed it again this week as well. ABC57 had black levels way too high and other channels are fine. However, I noticed that ABC57 seemed fine on my Windows Media Center, the black levels problem was only happening on Uverse, but it wasn't affecting any other channels, which is really weird. Does anybody else have Uverse that could check whether their black levels are bad on ABC57 as well?

post #3462 of 3965 Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmmm. I noticed it again this week as well. ABC57 had black levels way too high and other channels are fine. However, I noticed that ABC57 seemed fine on my Windows Media Center, the black levels problem was only happening on Uverse, but it wasn't affecting any other channels, which is really weird. Does anybody else have Uverse that could check whether their black levels are bad on ABC57 as well?

I don't but my boss does. I'll try to persuade her to record one of the affected programs you are seeing this on. I'm sure she'll help us out. :-)
post #3463 of 3965 Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

I know this is going off topic a bit but I just wanted to let you guys know I finally got my Apple TV 2 (2010) and it rocks! However Apple's hobby still does need a little work as far as Netflix go's.

The first thing I did was queue up a movie I knew was available for HD streaming. There was no HD badge, but the HD quality was definitely there. The problem is that us HD snobs sometimes feel like just watching stuff in HD. With Netflix on the Apple TV, you can't tell which is HD or standard def with out watching it first. Hopefully Apple will fix this in a future update.

Another Netflix problem I feel could be a deal breaker for some is the lack of any kind of marker. While the 360 and the Wii does show what percentage of a video you watched, the Apple TV does no such thing. This is really a problem for anyone who depends on such markers for tv seasons. With out a marker, it's easy to get lost if you don't remember the episode title of the last show you watched. I think even the full dot / half dot they use for podcasts would be useful here. Otherwise if your memory is made of swiss cheese, you will get lost in trying to figure out where you left off. I also should emphasize I'm not referring to resume. Resume works beautifully. It's just not being able to tell what you already watched that is a problem. Outside of these Netflix issues, the quality even on the standard def stuff looks fantastic.

Now as for podcast, Youtube, and iTunes support, this thing is awesome! Heck even the video content that was formatted for iPod's and iPhones looks great. I'd go as far as to say it looks just about as good if not better than DVD with standard def stuff.

Well if you guys have any questions about the new Apple TV, feel free to ask. I'll answer to the best of my ability.
post #3464 of 3965 Old 10-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Now here's back to getting back on topic.. Sort of. :-)

I realize this is supposed to be comedy, but since I cut the cord (well at least for myself anyway) I thought I'd mention what I've done differently from this guy.

Well dropped cable television for myself. I barely watched it and favored broadcast anyway so I gave up my HD box to my housemates.

I use my PC as a Mediacenter PC with 2 dual tuner cards for the ability to record up to 4 channels at once. (Yes this does happen from time to time.)

Rather than use Hulu desktop, I use Boxee which does the same thing as the Hulu desktop and even more with apps. (I don't remember the name of the app off hand but there is one that does the same thing as the script for the Hulu Desktop but works better in execution.)

Netflix on Mediacenter sucks so I don't use it. Oddly enough there is only a handful of HD content you can get on your PC versus a dedicated media streamer. With that said, I purchased the latest Apple TV for my Netflix / Youtube / and and demand television and movie rental needs. As an added bonus it has audio and video podcast support.

With keeping the cable internet aside and letting my housemates keep cable television, I've effectively cut the cord for myself and have no regrets whatsoever. In fact I cut the cord a long time ago since I rarely ever turned my cable box on. With my setup, cable tv just plain doesn't make sense anymore.
post #3465 of 3965 Old 10-11-2010, 04:50 PM

7:00 PM Monday Oct. 11
I Just got a call from my neighbor across the street (200 feet away)and he said that his TV was breaking up every once in a while. I was down in the basement and was talking to someone in Mishawaka on 6 meters (50.125 SSB). I keyed the transmitter with my neighbor on the phone and he said it was breaking up. It stopped when I stopped. Tried again and the picture broke up when I talked. Did it on local stations and Chicago stations. Switched from high power to low power, 5 watts, and still did it. Here is what I think the problem is and I do not know how to cure it!
He has a New large Winegard antenna pointing right thru my Ham antenna to get Chicago. He also has a high powered preamp so that the system feeds 5 TV sets at one time. One of the lines runs over 100 feet to feed the garage. He says it knocks out all TV sets when I transmit. Because we went digital I thought TVI was a thing of the past! Any suggestions or HELP!
Jim
post #3466 of 3965 Old 10-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satsince1978 View Post

7:00 PM Monday Oct. 11
I Just got a call from my neighbor across the street (200 feet away)and he said that his TV was breaking up every once in a while. I was down in the basement and was talking to someone in Mishawaka on 6 meters (50.125 SSB). I keyed the transmitter with my neighbor on the phone and he said it was breaking up. It stopped when I stopped. Tried again and the picture broke up when I talked. Did it on local stations and Chicago stations. Switched from high power to low power, 5 watts, and still did it. Here is what I think the problem is and I do not know how to cure it!
He has a New large Winegard antenna pointing right thru my Ham antenna to get Chicago. He also has a high powered preamp so that the system feeds 5 TV sets at one time. One of the lines runs over 100 feet to feed the garage. He says it knocks out all TV sets when I transmit. Because we went digital I thought TVI was a thing of the past! Any suggestions or HELP!
Jim

ask him to not use the RF out on the converter boxes. Use the composite, or S-video. The RF out from the box at channel 3 is in the 6m band and those converter boxes have poor adjacent channel selectivity. another suggestion: Maybe he can try to use channel 4 as out instead of 3?

also, you could try and move up in frequency.... after all 50.125 is not supposed to be a ragchewing frequency, it's more or less a calling frequency for 6m. Try and go up to 50.200 or something like that and see if that helps.

Also... maybe that 100' line is cheap? RG-6 quad shield should be what he uses. You could help him with that. it's more resistant to RFI.
post #3467 of 3965 Old 10-14-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Running at lower power at the moment.

69.1 is running at even lower power this afternoon (signal strength too low to get a picture here). Analog 69 is freezing up again as we discussed in the past.
post #3468 of 3965 Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

I see 69 kind of come back but not really. The signal is so low it's un-watchable.

I also see 25.2 is still not carrying guide data. This doesn't affect me because I get my guide data through Windows Mediacenter anyway. However the lack of guide data affects my brother because his DVR depends on it. Bummer deal.
post #3469 of 3965 Old 10-21-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I see 69 kind of come back but not really. The signal is so low it's un-watchable.

I also see 25.2 is still not carrying guide data. This doesn't affect me because I get my guide data through Windows Mediacenter anyway. However the lack of guide data affects my brother because his DVR depends on it. Bummer deal.

69.1 is running at lower power awaiting parts.

"Celebrating over 20 years of creating new and inovative ways to completely screw up television programming!"

post #3470 of 3965 Old 10-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

69.1 is running at lower power awaiting parts.

Thanks HVS. I've been wondering what was up with 69.1. I couldn't help but wonder why 69.1 would cut back power when it's already a low power station to begin with. I figured it was likely technical reasons. Although I still liked entertaining the idea that you guys were cutting back power on that station to save up for 5.1 surround upgrades for 25.1 and 57.1. ROFL!
post #3471 of 3965 Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Remember I posted this not all to long ago?

Here's the second installment. This time he is successful thanks from some helpful sources which include the HT Guys. :-)

post #3472 of 3965 Old 10-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

I just re-watched the This Old Nerd video I just purchased and noticed something interesting. I see the interlacing problems he described, but within Mediacenter on interlaced channels. I see interlacing real bad on 25.2 and sometimes on 22.1. I did not have that problem with my Nvidia card, but it's a real problem with my new ATI 5750. Choosing de-interlacing doesn't seem to help. I believe now the problem I'm having is an ATI driver issue. Looks like I'll have to go complain to AMD about this. LOL!
post #3473 of 3965 Old 10-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

I see 69.1 is back. Woohoo!
post #3474 of 3965 Old 10-30-2010, 06:57 AM
TV8

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Any ideas?

Many people believe the signal meter on their digital TV or converter box measures RF signal, it doesn't. It measures the bit error rate, so it is more of a quality meter than a signal meter. For instance, you could have too much signal due to a preamp, if your receiver is in an unlocked condition the meter will read 0. An interference signal from the second harmonic of an FM station will not reduce the signal but will cause the meter to read 0. You may have a strong signal but also a reflection from a water tower or building nearby causing your receiver to unlock and giving you a a meter reading of 0. Bottom line you must have enough signal to lock the receiver before the meter is useful to you.

Mike L.
post #3475 of 3965 Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Another reason for that WNDU problem could be WQRF. Whenever I have problems with WQRF, I turn towards South Bend and viola, there's WNDU. I think the lake magnifies any tropo effects running across it.
Also, see if there are any other 42's within 200 miles of you. Any one of them could be stepping on WNDU's signal enough to crash it.
I have found that whenever a normally-reliably station goes down, it's a co-channel with some mild tropo behind it. You can adjust the antenna so that the interloper falls into a null in the pattern.
post #3476 of 3965 Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

I'm still hearing at least one audio drop out on Smallville for each episode. However I'd also like to point out that I have been watching Nikita and hadn't noticed the audio drop outs on that show. Weird huh? However I'm a couple of weeks behind watching Nikita, so I could be wrong about this.. But I hadn't heard any on this show at all that I remember. Could there just be some strange anomaly with the way that Smallville is broadcast or recorded that causes these audio drop outs?
post #3477 of 3965 Old 11-28-2010, 04:32 AM

hvs10trk, will the new national Me-TV feed be carried in South Bend? You could put it on 25.3 and then it would be like The U and it's sub-channels in Chicago.
post #3478 of 3965 Old 11-28-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlpa View Post

hvs10trk, will the new national Me-TV feed be carried in South Bend? You could put it on 25.3 and then it would be like The U and it's sub-channels in Chicago.

No idea if we'll carry it in South Bend.

post #3479 of 3965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like someone on Wikipedia is speculating.

This was under "National Expansion"

"Minor changes are expected to the schedules of the existing Milwaukee and Chicago stations, while a subchannel would likely be launched among their three low-power operations in South Bend as WCWW-LP carries a This subchannel."

This Wikipedia entry can be found here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeTV
post #3480 of 3965 Old 11-28-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Looks like someone on Wikipedia is speculating.

That would never happen!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page