Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 384 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 122Likes

post #11491 of 12893 Old 01-03-2017, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Unless you're the only person on Earth who has a rare illness whereby you will quickly die without access to certain television programming, you will either:
- Trip
Turn the Tv off.
Toss the Cheap Universal remote over your shoulder.
Smash the computer. Like Rockstars do Guitars.
Run up/down the stairs and out the door. Flip mom the bird on the way out.
Enjoy the world. There is far more to life than watching Tv and surfing the internet.
eacalhoun likes this.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 01-03-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11492 of 12893 Old 01-03-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I was in Best Buy yesterday and folks were buying antennas to get WYFF-4 since the dropout from DirecTV. The salesman recommended the Clearstream 4V as their best antenna which seemed correct, but most folks did not want to spend that much. Any of the Clearstreams should work fine, but some folks wanted the cheap Insignia rabbit ears and loop for $12.99. Which may work in strong signal areas. But Walmart has the Onn brand version of the same basic antenna for $8.99 so I would try that first. Otherwise for stronger results a Clearstream 2v or 4V. And if cost is a concern check out MCM antennas.
post #11493 of 12893 Old 01-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Anybody else having pixelation tiling on any local channels on charter i notice it on wyff 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11494 of 12893 Old 01-03-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Most of my Charter channels are pretty solid. But I do get occasional pixellation and audio dropouts on PBS.

Changing gears, I pickup up this GE 33692 indoor antenna, stuck it in the attic, added a cheap amp from an old Mohu Leaf and get all locals, including WLOS just fine from east side of Greenville. Was very skeptical, but it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNJZ58M

Finally dropping Charter and going OTA plus DirecTV NOW for a savings of $50/month for essentially the same content.
post #11495 of 12893 Old 01-04-2017, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Most of my Charter channels are pretty solid. But I do get occasional pixellation and audio dropouts on PBS.

Changing gears, I pickup up this GE 33692 indoor antenna, stuck it in the attic, added a cheap amp from an old Mohu Leaf and get all locals, including WLOS just fine from east side of Greenville. Was very skeptical, but it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNJZ58M

Finally dropping Charter and going OTA plus DirecTV NOW for a savings of $50/month for essentially the same content.
You should also be able to get WBTV from the east side, although it may be problematic since you likely have the antenna pointed the opposite direction to receive the Upstate channels and Asheville. But I have been lucky to pull in the Greenville stations with the UHF antenna pointed towards Charlotte, although I have a separate VHF antenna for WSPA and WLOS.

And that GE 33692 antenna is also sold at Walmart and appears to be a decent antenna. And they also now have a similar version from RCA, in addition to the ANT751.
post #11496 of 12893 Old 01-04-2017, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Thanks. I do indeed have it pointed toward Asheville and can't get WBTV from there, but I lose WLOS if I point at Charlotte. My house sits in a valley, so my overall reception isn't great to begin with. I'm pretty happy with what I've got.
post #11497 of 12893 Old 01-15-2017, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Have anybody seen WSPA TV 7 new Greenville studio

https://www.facebook.com/wspatv/vide...4829081032593/ Amy wood tour

https://www.facebook.com/wspatv/vide...4828995297593/ news report

it is the former Michelin on Main Building where they Hosted The Yourcarolina and Scene on 7

Michelin closed and move out and I think WSPA May have lease the old Michelin space and made a Larger Studio and Name it 7 On Main.
post #11498 of 12893 Old 01-15-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post

it is the former Michelin on Main Building where they Hosted The Yourcarolina and Scene on 7

Michelin closed and move out and I think WSPA May have lease the old Michelin space and made a Larger Studio and Name it 7 On Main.

They've caught some flack from Facebook for implying that they now might use both studios during their newscasts. Viewers interpreted that as they were abandoning Spartanburg to cover Greenville more. Clearly that is somewhat true given the expansion. It's obviously an attempt to better compete with Fox and WYFF (who arguably have owned the Clemson championship story this week and left WSPA in their dust).

We've probably seen more "local news" coverage this week than we have seen in years. WYFF had hours of live postgame coverage, aired the Tuesday press conference live, and aired the parade complete and commercial free. The one "coup" Fox pulled was on their return to Clemson on Tuesday. When they left the airport WYFF went back to programming until they were on campus. Fox positioned their vehicles along the interstate and were able to broadcast live coverage from the procession all the way back to Clemson.
post #11499 of 12893 Old 01-15-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post

Seems like a nice idea. They appear to borrow from the Today Show with the live windows on the street looking into the studio. It will be interesting to see how they divide the time between the main studio in Spartanburg and the new downtown studio in Greenville. They could do the 5pm and 6pm from Spartanburg and the 5:30pm from Greenville, or something like that. And I would guess the Scene on Seven and the Your Carolina morning show may broadcast there.

WBTV also tried a center city studio in Uptown Charlotte at the big Bank of America building, but that novelty wore off and I think the high rent put an end to that. They broadcast part of the evening news from there, and part from the main studio.
post #11500 of 12893 Old 01-15-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You could argue that the Clemson coverage on WYFF-4 was a bit excessive, but I suppose it satisfied a local interest. Unless you are not a Clemson fan or a sports fan. Same for the Greenville News.
post #11501 of 12893 Old 01-15-2017, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=tylerSC;49913841]Seems like a nice idea. They appear to borrow from the Today Show with the live windows on the street looking into the studio. It will be interesting to see how they divide the time between the main studio in Spartanburg and the new downtown studio in Greenville. They could do the 5pm and 6pm from Spartanburg and the 5:30pm from Greenville, or something like that. And I would guess the Scene on Seven and the Your Carolina morning show may broadcast there.

WBTV also tried a center city studio in Uptown Charlotte at the big Bank of America building, but that novelty wore off and I think the high rent put an end to that. They broadcast part of the news from there, and part from the
Other night when I watch 10pm news Amy wood was in Greenville and Gorden dill was in spartanburg they they alt news gorden did part news and then Amy other part simmer way the do the co anchor news
post #11502 of 12893 Old 01-17-2017, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Need help with antenna selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
You should also be able to get WBTV from the east side, although it may be problematic since you likely have the antenna pointed the opposite direction to receive the Upstate channels and Asheville. But I have been lucky to pull in the Greenville stations with the UHF antenna pointed towards Charlotte, although I have a separate VHF antenna for WSPA and WLOS.

And that GE 33692 antenna is also sold at Walmart and appears to be a decent antenna. And they also now have a similar version from RCA, in addition to the ANT751.
I'm located in Mitchell County, NC and need some antenna recommendations from you folks on the forum.

Here's my TV fool coordinates which I cant publish yet since I dont have at least 5 posts: 36.02 and -82.24

Right now, I have a little GE 5 element yagi antenna (I think its a GE 33692 also) from Walmart up about 25'. Besides all the UNC-TV PBS translators all around me (Geesh!), I can only get WCYB (5) in Bristol and WSPA (8) translator near Spruce Pine. Two weeks ago, I could also get WJHL (11) in Johnson City but now its gone. Ive tried for FOX on WEMT (38) and WHNS translator(34) but cant get them when I scan. However, as I'm scanning, the TV stays on 11, 34, and 38 a little longer than on empty channels so maybe I'm very close to getting these with a little more gain.

Looking at my TV Fool data, which of all those channels could I reasonably expect to pickup with a medium to large array or yagi? I'm using an "Armstrong" rotor until I get the antenna that works for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If I could just get 5, 11, and 38, I would be happy to have all four networks and if I could still get 8 (WSPA) to my southeast because its got MeTV!

Thanks!
post #11503 of 12893 Old 01-17-2017, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4cf View Post
I'm located in Mitchell County, NC and need some antenna recommendations from you folks on the forum.

Here's my TV fool coordinates which I cant publish yet since I dont have at least 5 posts: 36.02 and -82.24

Right now, I have a little GE 5 element yagi antenna (I think its a GE 33692 also) from Walmart up about 25'. Besides all the UNC-TV PBS translators all around me (Geesh!), I can only get WCYB (5) in Bristol and WSPA (8) translator near Spruce Pine. Two weeks ago, I could also get WJHL (11) in Johnson City but now its gone. Ive tried for FOX on WEMT (38) and WHNS translator(34) but cant get them when I scan. However, as I'm scanning, the TV stays on 11, 34, and 38 a little longer than on empty channels so maybe I'm very close to getting these with a little more gain.

Looking at my TV Fool data, which of all those channels could I reasonably expect to pickup with a medium to large array or yagi? I'm using an "Armstrong" rotor until I get the antenna that works for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If I could just get 5, 11, and 38, I would be happy to have all four networks and if I could still get 8 (WSPA) to my southeast because its got MeTV!

Thanks!
I'm responding to your post here and not in the Tri-Cities thread because this thread is more active, but the other thread, if you get responses, may be more helpful.

Those coordinates put me in some trees, so I'm not sure which nearby house you're in. (If you do TVFool for your exact location, you can post the last part of the link and someone can convert it to a link for you.)

But regardless, Fox is going to be a stretch, even at 25 feet. You might be able to get it, but if you do, it will be because of knife-edge diffraction, which is something the models used by TVFool and the like do not properly handle. As you've observed, it looks like WCYB, UNC, and W08BF-D are pretty straight-forward. After that it gets a bit hairy. WJHL, WLOS, and W09AS-D (repeats WYFF) look like they may be feasible, depending on your exact location, but will require different antenna aims. WEMT is underwater but may be salvageable with a big enough antenna and amp, assuming you don't get overloaded by the UNC translator. W34DX-D looks pretty bleak, but again, knife-edge diffraction may work out in your favor.

You will definitely want to go bigger, and you may find that there is not one single antenna aim that gets you everything you want. Considering only Fox will be on UHF (except UNC, but it's so strong it won't matter), you may want to try something like the 91XG for UHF and use a UVSJ to combine it with something else for VHF so you can fine-tune the aim for Fox and then tinker with the VHF side to get WCYB, WJHL, and W08BF-D to come in as you want them to. I'm not sure what to recommend on the VHF side. Perhaps someone else has a recommendation.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11504 of 12893 Old 01-17-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
I'm responding to your post here and not in the Tri-Cities thread because this thread is more active, but the other thread, if you get responses, may be more helpful.

Those coordinates put me in some trees, so I'm not sure which nearby house you're in. (If you do TVFool for your exact location, you can post the last part of the link and someone can convert it to a link for you.)

But regardless, Fox is going to be a stretch, even at 25 feet. You might be able to get it, but if you do, it will be because of knife-edge diffraction, which is something the models used by TVFool and the like do not properly handle. As you've observed, it looks like WCYB, UNC, and W08BF-D are pretty straight-forward. After that it gets a bit hairy. WJHL, WLOS, and W09AS-D (repeats WYFF) look like they may be feasible, depending on your exact location, but will require different antenna aims. WEMT is underwater but may be salvageable with a big enough antenna and amp, assuming you don't get overloaded by the UNC translator. W34DX-D looks pretty bleak, but again, knife-edge diffraction may work out in your favor.

You will definitely want to go bigger, and you may find that there is not one single antenna aim that gets you everything you want. Considering only Fox will be on UHF (except UNC, but it's so strong it won't matter), you may want to try something like the 91XG for UHF and use a UVSJ to combine it with something else for VHF so you can fine-tune the aim for Fox and then tinker with the VHF side to get WCYB, WJHL, and W08BF-D to come in as you want them to. I'm not sure what to recommend on the VHF side. Perhaps someone else has a recommendation.

- Trip
Thanks for the quick response Trip...Which FOX do you think that I have the best shot at? WEMT or WHNS or just experiment? Also, is there any way to bring signals from 3 antenna feedlines into one feedline to my TV (without using a remote coax switch)?
post #11505 of 12893 Old 01-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

I Just seen where the Sinclair Broadcast Group and MGM is Launching a New DigitalNet channel called Charge!

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/1...annel-launches

Action shows on Charge! will include titles such as In the Heat of the Night and The Magnificent Seven, and movies such as Dances with Wolves, Platoon, Rocky and the James Bond franchise, the companies said.

no stations been announce yet so if Sinclair stations WLOS TV / WMYA TV get it

WMYA Got 4 Sub channels and WLOS Got 3 Sub channels

It could go to WLOS 13.4 or one of the sub channel stations on WMYA could get replace by change. Just thinking since it be just a Guess right now till they annouce what area get it.
post #11506 of 12893 Old 01-18-2017, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Also, is there any way to bring signals from 3 antenna feedlines into one feedline to my TV (without using a remote coax switch)?
There are some companies that make combiners that are filtered for specific channels. You would typically one antenna for most of the channels, and then use the joiner to add specific channels from additional antennas. There is some loss of signal on channels adjacent of the one you are inserting. These guys might be able to create what you need. I have not used them, just seen references to them online, so no idea on quality. Since it's European, make sure to specify ATSC channels.

http://www.antenne-komponenty.eu/eng...zlucovace.html
post #11507 of 12893 Old 01-19-2017, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Griffin View Post
There are some companies that make combiners that are filtered for specific channels. You would typically one antenna for most of the channels, and then use the joiner to add specific channels from additional antennas. There is some loss of signal on channels adjacent of the one you are inserting. These guys might be able to create what you need. I have not used them, just seen references to them online, so no idea on quality. Since it's European, make sure to specify ATSC channels.

http://www.antenne-komponenty.eu/eng...zlucovace.html
You would also need to be sure and ask for their actual channels, not their virtual channel.
post #11508 of 12893 Old 01-19-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Diginet rambling

Since the new Charge! diginet seems to target the same audience as Grit, I'm guessing it won't be long before Sinclair replaces Grit on 40-4 with Charge! since it's a co-owner. I'd be OK with that because I can get Grit on Charlotte's 3-3 most of the time.

It doesn't look like there's any movement on WLOS adding a translator on Paris Mountain.

I wish Sinclair would find a way to get American Sports Network on one of the Upstate subchannels. It's not ESPN, but it is something.

I see on RabbitEars.info where SCETV will add the PBS Kids 24/7 programming on the X.4 sub-channel.

I'd like to see Light TV land on one of WGGS's sub-channels, but I suspect it may still be too secular overall for Channel 16's programming guidelines.

Switching over to ME-TV probably won't help WGTA (Toccoa) in its bid to get a signal into the Greenville area.
post #11509 of 12893 Old 01-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks!
I'm located in Mitchell County too, but on the very southern tip of the county. I live in a very deep valley, but I am somehow lucky enough to receive between 30 and 50 channels depending on the time of year, surprisingly more in the summer, the leafs help reflect the signals down into the valley. I can receive pretty much every channel from Charlotte, wspa, and wyff from the translators in Spruce Pine, and wcyb Bristol. It has took a lot of trial and error over several years to get the sweet spots where I can reliably receive every major network at all times of the year. I tried lots of store bought antennas with little luck, before building my own. I have 3 different antennas due to there being tiny little sweet spots where certain channels come in. I use the hill behind my house pretty much as a tower, with a homeade 6 bay antenna about 100 feet up the hill, with a yagi type antenna cut just for wcyb Bristol stacked above it, I have these 2 antennas run into the seperate uhf vhf inputs on the rca pramp1r preamp, and ran into the house into a cheapo rca converter box. Then another 50 feet up the hill I have a homeade 4 bay antenna which receives different channels than the 6 bay even though they are both pointed toward Charlotte, both spots have channels I can only receive at that spot and channels I lose at each spot, hence the reason I keep 2 different ones. I have that antenna ran into a very low noise kitztech preamp and run into another one of the rca cheapo converter boxes, my reason for this is that these boxes allow me to run an hdmi cord from each one into the tv so that I can just switch hdmi inputs to watch channels on one antenna or the other instead of having to use a switch or plug and unplug one antenna to use the other.

Tvfool is a great tool to give you an idea of what you can get in your area, but it is not nearly as reliable as it is in the flatlands, because here in the mountains we depend so much on reflections unless you are on a mountaintop. For example my tvfool report pretty much says I should only receive wcyb, pbs from Linville, and wspa and wyff translators, but like I said I receive all Charlotte stations even though tv fool lists them in the -20s and -30s or not even on the list for my address. I have helped install probably 20 or 30 antennas in Mitchell County and one thing I have learned is to not fall in love with putting the antenna as high as you can get it here in the mountains, that is a good idea in the flatlands, but unless you are trying to get over top of trees or buildings sometimes lower is better. This again goes back to catching reflections, for example the 6 bay antenna I have when put up about 10 foot in the air where I have it now I only receive about 10 channels, when put all the way down to the ground it goes up to about 15 to 20 channels, and believe it or not by leaning it forward while setting on the ground at almost a 45 degree angle it picks up even more channels.

I would say that fox tri cities should be possible for you with the right antenna and location, I've not put many antennas on your side of the county, but I was able to receive all tri cities stations on one I put up at Bandana, I put one in Buladean that was able to receive wcyb,wjhl,and off the backside wlos and fox from Greenville, so luckily all major networks just from different markets, the worst spot I've ever tried one though was pretty near you in Poplar, but it was deep in a valley, it was only able to marginally receive wlos. Also strangely enough you may want to try aiming towards Knoxville too, I have actually put up 2 different antennas that were able to reliably receive Knoxville stations at 100 miles away, it just all depends on where you have openings in the mountains around you. It seems that the cutoff line for markets in Mitchell County is the top of Mine Creek. Pretty much everywhere on the Spruce Pine side of Mine Creek can receive channels from the Charlotte market, and on the Bakersville side you are better off to shoot for the tri cities stations. Our own Asheville GSP market is pretty much a lost cause except for translators, due to Mount Mitchell and the Black Mountain range blocking us from the main towers except in the very north end of the county. Hope some of this info helps, good luck.
post #11510 of 12893 Old 01-19-2017, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDevildog View Post
Since the new Charge! diginet seems to target the same audience as Grit, I'm guessing it won't be long before Sinclair replaces Grit on 40-4 with Charge! since it's a co-owner. I'd be OK with that because I can get Grit on Charlotte's 3-3 most of the time.

It doesn't look like there's any movement on WLOS adding a translator on Paris Mountain.

I wish Sinclair would find a way to get American Sports Network on one of the Upstate subchannels. It's not ESPN, but it is something.

I see on RabbitEars.info where SCETV will add the PBS Kids 24/7 programming on the X.4 sub-channel.

I'd like to see Light TV land on one of WGGS's sub-channels, but I suspect it may still be too secular overall for Channel 16's programming guidelines.

Switching over to ME-TV probably won't help WGTA (Toccoa) in its bid to get a signal into the Greenville area.
For more reliable reception of WBTV, I would suggest a Clearstream 2V or 4V antenna. And a moderate gain low noise amp. Or perhaps try the Mohu amp. And perhaps you may also pull in WCNC, WMYT, or WJZY. And Light TV will be coming to WMYT-55.4 from Charlotte, which I do receive at my location near Butler Rd. in Mauldin.
post #11511 of 12893 Old 01-19-2017, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Regarding amplifiers, I now use a Clearstream Juice preamp because it does indeed seem to have the best overload protection. And I am surrounded by a mix of very strong and weaker signals. I need an amp for WLOS, WCNC, WMYT, and WJZY. I do not need an amp for WYFF, WHNS, WSPA, WNTV, and WBTV which are strong. So I use a UVSJ before the preamp on the UHF antenna pointed towards Charlotte. And after the Juice preamp I use another UVSJ to splice in rabbit ears for WLOS, WSPA, and SCETV. At the rabbit ears I have an FM trap and a Channel Master 3414 distro amp which gives just enough boost for WLOS without overpowering WSPA and WNTV which are very strong. Without the Antennas Direct FM trap, I get pixelation on 13. I have strong local FM signals close by from Paris Mtn, and some of the Charlotte FMs are strong also. And WSPA and WNTV are also very strong. So proper filtering and the appropriate preamp are very important.
post #11512 of 12893 Old 01-20-2017, 06:33 AM

Elaborate antennas and amplifiers are way above my understanding. I'm just using a Mohu Leaf amplified antenna.
post #11513 of 12893 Old 01-20-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbraves View Post
I'm located in Mitchell County too, but on the very southern tip of the county. I live in a very deep valley, but I am somehow lucky enough to receive between 30 and 50 channels depending on the time of year, surprisingly more in the summer, the leafs help reflect the signals down into the valley. I can receive pretty much every channel from Charlotte, wspa, and wyff from the translators in Spruce Pine, and wcyb Bristol. It has took a lot of trial and error over several years to get the sweet spots where I can reliably receive every major network at all times of the year. I tried lots of store bought antennas with little luck, before building my own. I have 3 different antennas due to there being tiny little sweet spots where certain channels come in. I use the hill behind my house pretty much as a tower, with a homeade 6 bay antenna about 100 feet up the hill, with a yagi type antenna cut just for wcyb Bristol stacked above it, I have these 2 antennas run into the seperate uhf vhf inputs on the rca pramp1r preamp, and ran into the house into a cheapo rca converter box. Then another 50 feet up the hill I have a homeade 4 bay antenna which receives different channels than the 6 bay even though they are both pointed toward Charlotte, both spots have channels I can only receive at that spot and channels I lose at each spot, hence the reason I keep 2 different ones. I have that antenna ran into a very low noise kitztech preamp and run into another one of the rca cheapo converter boxes, my reason for this is that these boxes allow me to run an hdmi cord from each one into the tv so that I can just switch hdmi inputs to watch channels on one antenna or the other instead of having to use a switch or plug and unplug one antenna to use the other.

Tvfool is a great tool to give you an idea of what you can get in your area, but it is not nearly as reliable as it is in the flatlands, because here in the mountains we depend so much on reflections unless you are on a mountaintop. For example my tvfool report pretty much says I should only receive wcyb, pbs from Linville, and wspa and wyff translators, but like I said I receive all Charlotte stations even though tv fool lists them in the -20s and -30s or not even on the list for my address. I have helped install probably 20 or 30 antennas in Mitchell County and one thing I have learned is to not fall in love with putting the antenna as high as you can get it here in the mountains, that is a good idea in the flatlands, but unless you are trying to get over top of trees or buildings sometimes lower is better. This again goes back to catching reflections, for example the 6 bay antenna I have when put up about 10 foot in the air where I have it now I only receive about 10 channels, when put all the way down to the ground it goes up to about 15 to 20 channels, and believe it or not by leaning it forward while setting on the ground at almost a 45 degree angle it picks up even more channels.

I would say that fox tri cities should be possible for you with the right antenna and location, I've not put many antennas on your side of the county, but I was able to receive all tri cities stations on one I put up at Bandana, I put one in Buladean that was able to receive wcyb,wjhl,and off the backside wlos and fox from Greenville, so luckily all major networks just from different markets, the worst spot I've ever tried one though was pretty near you in Poplar, but it was deep in a valley, it was only able to marginally receive wlos. Also strangely enough you may want to try aiming towards Knoxville too, I have actually put up 2 different antennas that were able to reliably receive Knoxville stations at 100 miles away, it just all depends on where you have openings in the mountains around you. It seems that the cutoff line for markets in Mitchell County is the top of Mine Creek. Pretty much everywhere on the Spruce Pine side of Mine Creek can receive channels from the Charlotte market, and on the Bakersville side you are better off to shoot for the tri cities stations. Our own Asheville GSP market is pretty much a lost cause except for translators, due to Mount Mitchell and the Black Mountain range blocking us from the main towers except in the very north end of the county. Hope some of this info helps, good luck.
Wow. Thanks for all the information wncbraves! Im just now getting into OTA tv since getting rid of my dish network and dont have fiber optic from Country Cable here yet. Im on a hill in the middle of Red Hill @ 2600' and have a decent 360-degree view from here. As a kid, we used to get analog stations from Tri-Cities, Asheville, Charlotte, Sneedville and even Knoxville in the late 70s using a medium Channel Master yagi and rotor about 8' off the ground. I remember several sporadic-E openings on Ch. 3-WBTV in the 1980s and watching Paul Cameron fade out while XEW-Mexico City came booming in for about 30 minutes! Two other E-openings brought stations in from Hays, KS and Hobbs, NM too. Really cool stuff to a kid back then!

Thats great on using the converter boxes. Which model number are you using? Ive been researching building single channel yagis to try to get what I want. Ive not researched the bay-type antennas much simply because I thought that I needed more gain. Are you talking about a Gray-Hoverman type antenna? Is this something that I should try from here?

Right now, I'm just trying to get the major networks so I'm gathering materials for an 8-element yagi cut for Ch. 11-WJHL which would give me both CBS and ABC (since WKPT-Kingsport isnt ABC anymore). I can get WCYB/WUNE with rabbit ears here. FOX has been the challenge for me so if the WJHL antenna works for me then Im gonna try to build a yagi for Ch. 38-WEMT on Holston Mtn.

I love DXing too so I would like to do more later. Thanks again!

Edit: Would you share your 4 and 6-bay designs with me?

Last edited by k4cf; 01-20-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: additional question
post #11514 of 12893 Old 01-20-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDevildog View Post
Elaborate antennas and amplifiers are way above my understanding. I'm just using a Mohu Leaf amplified antenna.
Go to Walmart. Same shelf as Mohu Leaf has Clearstream 2V antenna for $79. Also on same shelf is Onn brand inline amp for around $14. Should not overpower as much as Mohu amp possibly. Mohu Leaf may work ok, but CS2V may be more reliable, especially distant channels.
post #11515 of 12893 Old 01-20-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow. Thanks for all the information wncbraves! Im just now getting into OTA tv since getting rid of my dish network and dont have fiber optic from Country Cable here yet. Im on a hill in the middle of Red Hill @ 2600' and have a decent 360-degree view from here. As a kid, we used to get analog stations from Tri-Cities, Asheville, Charlotte, Sneedville and even Knoxville in the late 70s using a medium Channel Master yagi and rotor about 8' off the ground. I remember several sporadic-E openings on Ch. 3-WBTV in the 1980s and watching Paul Cameron fade out while XEW-Mexico City came booming in for about 30 minutes! Two other E-openings brought stations in from Hays, KS and Hobbs, NM too. Really cool stuff to a kid back then!

Thats great on using the converter boxes. Which model number are you using? Ive been researching building single channel yagis to try to get what I want. Ive not researched the bay-type antennas much simply because I thought that I needed more gain. Are you talking about a Gray-Hoverman type antenna? Is this something that I should try from here?

Right now, I'm just trying to get the major networks so I'm gathering materials for an 8-element yagi cut for Ch. 11-WJHL which would give me both CBS and ABC (since WKPT-Kingsport isnt ABC anymore). I can get WCYB/WUNE with rabbit ears here. FOX has been the challenge for me so if the WJHL antenna works for me then Im gonna try to build a yagi for Ch. 38-WEMT on Holston Mtn.

For fringe reception UHF, I would suggest DB8e or 91XG antenna and Kitztech low noise preamp. If both strong and fringe signals, then Clearstream Juice preamp. Unless you go with homemade specific designs.
post #11516 of 12893 Old 01-20-2017, 07:13 PM

Either WLOS has altered/boosted its signal toward Greenville or there's some rare atmospheric conditions going on. I did a rescan this morning and picked up Channel 13's three signals for the first time since I added a Mohu Leaf antenna to pick up OTA signals a couple of years back. It's held up all day. A few moments ago, I rescanned on a TV with rabbit ears and picked up Channel 13 on that, too.
post #11517 of 12893 Old 01-20-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure on the model number on the rca converter box, but I've got the ones that are sold at Walmart for 50 dollars, they are very basic, but they have a good tuner, hdmi ports, and I also bought 128 gb flash drives for both of them to record shows or games. The downfall to them is it has a horrible remote and it will randomly just make channels you have saved into it dissappear and have to be rescanned.

I don't really know a link to point you towards on building the 4 and 6 bay antennas, but you can find a lot of info on the 4 bay type by just searching for Mcclap 4 bay antenna design. These are bowtie antenna types, not the gray hoverman designs. On the 4 bay, the best demensions I have found are to cut the bowties so that they are 10 inches long from the bend to the end, this will put you peaking in the middle of the uhf range. There will be a 9 1/2 inch space between each set of bowties, and you will need to cross the feedlines over between the top two bays and the bottom two bays, but not in the middle that is where your balun will connect, make sure the feedlines don't touch where they crossover. I think I cut my feedlines about 33 inches long. I use alluminum wire, but copper works good also. I use 2 by 4 welded wire for a reflector about 4 inches behind the elements, I like using an oversized piece about 40 inches by 40 inches. I sweep all the elements forward and curve the reflector in on the sides also.

The 6 bay is much harder to find any information on, it is a newer creation, but it is the best antenna I've ever tried for uhf. It even did better in my situation than a vertical stacked 8 bay antenna which is supposed to be one of the highest gain antennas out there. I think the reason for that is because of the sweet spots I was talking about earlier I think the top antenna of the 8 bay was catching different signals than the bottom one and when they combined it was throwing everything off. For this one I cut 4 11 inch bowties and 8 8 1/2 inch bowties. The top bay is the 8 1/2 bowties with a 9 inch space down to the next set of 8 1/2s, then an 11 inch space down to the next set of 11 inch bowties, then there will be a 13 inch space down to the other set of 11 inch bowties, then the bottom will just be the same design as the top. The balun will go in the middle of the 13 inch space. I cut the feedlines 60 inches and the reflector screen 63 by 40. There will be 4 crossovers in between the top two sets of bays and the bottom 2 sets. The top and bottom bowties should be spread apart about 3 1/2 inches at the end, the next ones should be spread apart 6 inches, and all the big bowties spread apart 7 1/2 inches. I sweep all the small bowties forward a little but leave the big ones flat. I also curve the reflector in on the sides too.

The 4 bay actually does better for high vhf than the 6 bay, but the 6 bay does better for uhf. If you go with store bought Tyler's suggestions were good it's hard to beat the 91xg or the db8e for uhf, but they may not be ideal for channel 11, but if it's strong enough they might pull it in.
post #11518 of 12893 Old 01-22-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Regarding those cheap converter boxes, there are several similar brands available from around $29 to $36 depending upon the online vendor. In addition to the RCA at Walmart, there is also Iview, Mediasonic and more. Some can be ordered from Walmart and shipped free to store. Online price may be a bit cheaper than in the store.
post #11519 of 12893 Old 01-22-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Regarding those cheap converter boxes, there are several similar brands available from around $29 to $36 depending upon the online vendor. In addition to the RCA at Walmart, there is also Iview, Mediasonic and more. Some can be ordered from Walmart and shipped free to store. Online price may be a bit cheaper than in the store.
I'd be careful about some of those other brands, when I added my second converter box I went with the ematic converter box which was the other box they had in stock at Walmart because it was about 10 dollars cheaper and I just wanted a different box to go with the rca box I already had. It had a much better remote than rca box and my favorite thing was it offered a pause button for live tv which the rca box didn't. The downfall though was it had a horrible tuner in it, I was only able to scan in less than half the channels I was able to with the rca box. I don't know if this was an isolated problem with this one box or if all the ematic boxes have this poor of a tuner, but I just went ahead and traded it in for another one of the rca boxes like I already had. The rca box's tuner seems to be about the same quality as the tuner in my Samsung tv and previously my dish network box I had. Some of those other cheap brands may be as good or better than the rca box though, I'd say they're just hit or miss.
post #11520 of 12893 Old 01-23-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good USB stick hdtv tuner for use with a laptop? I would like to have one to use outside when I'm adjusting antenna position. Thanks!

If it included DVB-S2 satellite reception, that would be a plus but not a necessity!

Last edited by k4cf; 01-23-2017 at 07:16 AM. Reason: additional comment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
fox giving me trouble too. , i must be experiencing atmospheric block out

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page