Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 387 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 122Likes

post #11581 of 12893 Old 02-28-2017, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I get the Decades network as well as Heroes and Icons from WGTA in Toccoa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11582 of 12893 Old 02-28-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubber View Post
This change just started TODAY!

I miss GRIT lots of classic westerns! 40-4

This new Charge channel (40-4) looks like a bunch of B movie crap actually C movie crap...

I see TBD now..what the heck is this crap...oh boy terrible.

This is a HILARIOUS (true) story as to how TBD network came into existence...considering we are speaking about Sinclair Broadcasting
it could well be a true story...but it also shows you how inept
Sinclair executives are at their jobs.

History and background[edit]
While Sinclair Broadcast Group was in the process of acquiring cable network Tennis Channel (a deal it announced in January 2016), a group of company executives toured the network's main control room. During their tour, a monitor was spotted carrying the foreign feed of the online video service The QYOU. Seeing the QYOU feed sparked a conversation among the executives about bringing a QYOU-style video service to television viewers in the United States.[3] Conversation led to development, and eventually to Sinclair's formal announcement of TBD's launch (with The QYOU as a partner) on December 7, 2016.[4] TBD is the second of three digital broadcast networks Sinclair developed and launched in the decade of the 2010s, preceded by the 2015 launch of sci-fi channel Comet and coinciding with another channel set to launch in 2017, the action-based Charge! (Sinclair's American Sports Network, though it airs round-the-clock in some markets, is regarded as an ad hoc network and a syndication service.)
Sinclair, in its press release announcing TBD's launch, expressed that the network would be "reinvigorating traditional television for today’s millennial audience," a demographic cohort that tends to enjoy video content via online sources other than traditional broadcast or cable television.[4] Indeed, the network's more contemporary programming (digital-first series and videos) and younger-skewing target audience makes TBD unique in comparison to other multicast networks that feature classic television programs and movies aimed toward older audiences. As part of that reach to millennials, TBD takes a "screen agnostic" approach to delivery, appearing not only on over-the-air TV but through an online platform and eventually through smart devices and apps.[5][4]
Depending upon location dubber, in many areas of Greenville County you can get WBTV from Charlotte with a good UHF antenna and preamp. Grit is on 3.3 subchannel. MCM has best prices on 8-bay or yagi style UHF antennas, and Walmart.com has good price on RCA preamp with free ship to store. Or pick up at Lowe's or Winegard LNA200 preamp at Home Depot.
post #11583 of 12893 Old 02-28-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtripboy View Post
I get the Decades network as well as Heroes and Icons from WGTA in Toccoa.
I believe WGTA is supposed to pick up MeTV after being dropped by WSB in Atlanta. Which requires cable to receive WGTA in metro Atlanta. I thought Toccoa, GA was part of GSP market, but may have been moved to Atlanta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11584 of 12893 Old 02-28-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I believe WGTA is supposed to pick up MeTV after being dropped by WSB in Atlanta. Which requires cable to receive WGTA in metro Atlanta. I thought Toccoa, GA was part of GSP market, but may have been moved to Atlanta.
When UGA owned them they had them moved to the Atlanta DMA.

Right now they air Heroes and Icons on 32.1
Decades on 32. 2
Movies! on 32.3

When they add ME TV it will be
ME TV on 32.1
Heroes and Icons on 32.2
Decades on 32.3
Movies! will go away.

In Atlanta
Decades also airs on CBS owned WUPA
Movies! airs on FOX owned WAGA.

Last edited by rtripboy; 02-28-2017 at 08:14 PM.
post #11585 of 12893 Old 02-28-2017, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've looked at a bit more of these two new "subchannels" on WMYA

TBD
After watching a little more of TBD I can only say that it is an absolute wasteland, and a degenerate one at that...They CLAIM it is aimed at "millennials" but even they are not as brain dead as what you'll find on this channel...it is really shocking at just how bizarre and bad the content is. This can't last too long as NO ONE will actually watch it for more than a few minutes. The executives that approved of this swill should all be fired IMMEDIATELY!

CHARGE!
Well I've watched a bit more and it is a weird mixture of old 1960s, B and C movies with a few notable cast members starring in some of them before they were really famous, I just saw one with William Shatner. Not really watchable either, although it is interesting to see these stars before anyone knew them to be famous. This might last a bit longer than TBD but not much longer....

The programming content of these two channels are strange choices but maybe they are CHEAP choices as well.

Sinclair Executives.......YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!!
eacalhoun and OldDevildog like this.

Last edited by dubber; 02-28-2017 at 08:40 PM.
post #11586 of 12893 Old 02-28-2017, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Early reports on TBD and Charge! suggest both are a couple -- at least -- of steps down in quality from Bounce and GRIT. Luckily, I can still get the latter two on 3.2 and 3.3 out of Charlotte about 70 percent of the time.
post #11587 of 12893 Old 02-28-2017, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4cf View Post
I continued experimenting with my 4-bay bowtie last saturday. I moved it about 50' to a tree-free opening where I have a good shot to the southeast and to my surprise...locked onto WJZY and WCNC without a preamp! WCNC doesn't even show up on my TV Fool prinout. I'm hoping that I don't "lose" them do to the extra 50' feedline loss but I plan on using a run of RG-11 just for this purpose. If I'm not mistaken, there are 4 Charlotte stations that broadcast from the Hardins location...WBTV, WJZY, WCNC, and WMYT...so I've got a lock on 3 of these 4. I can see a signal from WMYT but I just cannot lock it yet. Funny thing is that the bowtie is only 2' off the ground...unreal! This is the design that wncBraves shared with me and he even said that lots of times higher is not necessarily better. I really want to try to get WCCB and WSOC at the Rolling Acres location but it appears they are further E/SE of Hardins. But again, I'm seeing partial signal on ch. 34 and 39 and hoping those are WCCB and WSOC and not some co-channel. I'm not even sure if WAXN is even possible for me here based on its radiation pattern primarily to the north. I've become a believer in these antennas based on what I've seen so far and now I'm probably gonna try to build a 6-bay and a Gray-Hoverman to experiment with.
With a little experimenting you might still be able to find a spot to receive the missing channels you want. I am able to receive wsoc and wccb from their main towers at all times, but strangely enough I get one from one antenna location and the other from another even though they come from the same antenna farm, but I am also 15 or so miles closer to the towers than you and those towers are already a stretch for Mitchell County. I also receive the Valdese translator for wccb at all times, but only receive the wsoc translator in the summertime. WAXN is another channel I only am able to receive in the summertime, it's like turning on a switch as soon as we get leaves on the trees it amplifies the reflection of the signals off the mountains and I go from about 30 channels to 50 channels. I hear ya on that ch 42 PBS translator in Bakersville, that sucker comes in everywhere over there, you can forget receiving the wsoc Valdese translator, luckily it don't interfere out here. Good luck on the Knoxville experiment, if you have the right opening in the mountains it is definitely still possible, I received several Knoxville stations with a 6 bay in the Bandana area and almost all Knoxville stations from a mountaintop location in Spruce Pine with a 4 bay. I love being able to receive channels that tvfool says are not possible, that's what makes it fun, I get some channels that are not even on my tvfool list.
eacalhoun likes this.
post #11588 of 12893 Old 03-01-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbraves View Post
With a little experimenting you might still be able to find a spot to receive the missing channels you want. I am able to receive wsoc and wccb from their main towers at all times, but strangely enough I get one from one antenna location and the other from another even though they come from the same antenna farm, but I am also 15 or so miles closer to the towers than you and those towers are already a stretch for Mitchell County. I also receive the Valdese translator for wccb at all times, but only receive the wsoc translator in the summertime. WAXN is another channel I only am able to receive in the summertime, it's like turning on a switch as soon as we get leaves on the trees it amplifies the reflection of the signals off the mountains and I go from about 30 channels to 50 channels. I hear ya on that ch 42 PBS translator in Bakersville, that sucker comes in everywhere over there, you can forget receiving the wsoc Valdese translator, luckily it don't interfere out here. Good luck on the Knoxville experiment, if you have the right opening in the mountains it is definitely still possible, I received several Knoxville stations with a 6 bay in the Bandana area and almost all Knoxville stations from a mountaintop location in Spruce Pine with a 4 bay. I love being able to receive channels that tvfool says are not possible, that's what makes it fun, I get some channels that are not even on my tvfool list.
I"m thinking of doing some experimenting myself. TV Fool claims some Atlanta stations are possible from my location in Oconee county. It would kind of neat to see if I can get any of them.
post #11589 of 12893 Old 03-10-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Rumor has it that Sinclair is about to shutter American Sports Network. I must say this is a sad development considering they just signed a three year deal to air all the High School championship games here in SC. Hopefully the local Sinclair stations will continue to honor that commitment even if the main network shuts down.

Quote:
Word is that Sinclair has told staffers at their American Sports Network (“ASN”) that they are all screwed at the end of the month.

Sources tell FTVLive that Sinclair's effort to homogenize local sports as they've done local news appears to be coming to an end.

The staff at "American Sports" based at WPEC in West Palm Beach was called together to a mandatory staff meeting and told their roles were eliminated.

Sinclair will cease operations of the fledgiling sports operation at the end of the month resulting in many questions around the national subchannel as well as their local sports coverage on Sinclair stations. Newsroom, production and master control teams will all be impacted.

Rumors are that remaining operations and outstanding obligations will be picked up by Campus Insiders, the sports news website based in Chicago.

No one is confirming or denying that possible transition within Sinclair however sources tell FTVLive that plans are already being made within the Campus Insiders newsroom to take over coverage.

Campus Insiders also has an Over The Top video service vs the traditional linear product produced by Sinclair.
post #11590 of 12893 Old 03-10-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Rumor has it that Sinclair is about to shutter American Sports Network. I must say this is a sad development considering they just signed a three year deal to air all the High School championship games here in SC. Hopefully the local Sinclair stations will continue to honor that commitment even if the main network shuts down.
Bummer about American Sports Network. I thought the idea of a broadcast sports network, even if second- and third-tier events, was a good one.

Last edited by OldDevildog; 03-10-2017 at 12:01 PM.
post #11591 of 12893 Old 03-13-2017, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks for the comments wncBraves...I have another question for you. I went out to my ridgetop where I have a clear shot to Knoxville and got every Knoxville UHF station (WATE and WBXX) with your 4-bay design. The other two stations are VHF which I really am not interested in. The only problem is that my house is about 300' from the ridgetop LOL. Coax is out of the question due to the losses at 300' and I think this may be beyond the capabilities of 300-ohm twin lead. I had a crazy idea and want some input from this forum. Could I connect the output of the 4-bay pointed toward Knoxville to the input of an extremely low gain antenna pointed to my house...and then use another 4-bay at the house to pick up the Knoxville signal?
Thanks in advance!

Quote:
post #11592 of 12893 Old 03-13-2017, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks for the comments wncBraves...I have another question for you. I went out to my ridgetop where I have a clear shot to Knoxville and got every Knoxville UHF station (WATE and WBXX) with your 4-bay design. The other two stations are VHF which I really am not interested in. The only problem is that my house is about 300' from the ridgetop LOL. Coax is out of the question due to the losses at 300' and I think this may be beyond the capabilities of 300-ohm twin lead. I had a crazy idea and want some input from this forum. Could I connect the output of the 4-bay pointed toward Knoxville to the input of an extremely low gain antenna pointed to my house...and then use another 4-bay at the house to pick up the Knoxville signal?
Thanks in advance!
What you are describing with two antennas connected to each other is a passive repeater. The antennas need to be faily directional since you need to start with as much signal as possible for the input, but also want to avoid picking up the re-radiated signal. Below is a link that might give you some ideas. If you go ahead with it, let us know your results.
http://www.matthewsworkbench.com/passive-tv-repeater
post #11593 of 12893 Old 03-13-2017, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure about how well the passive repeater thing works, I've never tried it, but I've heard of people doing it. I would give a preamplifier a try before I would do all that though, you may be on the outer limits of how far the power supply can provide power though. I would say my antenna is at least 150 maybe even 200 feet up the hill from my house and my rca pramp1r preamp works just fine with it and that is with rg6 coax. That would be the preamp I would suggest, you can order it online for about 25 bucks or get one at Lowes in Johnson City (Lowes in Marion don't keep them in stock). It has a good noise figure for the price and the gain is about 22 or 23 dbs on uhf which should cover your losses, you lose about 6 dbs of signal for every 100 feet of rg6, again your only issue may be the power supply not working for that long of a run, I've read somewhere before how far the power supply can work, but I can't remember now. I just bought one of the 500 foot boxes of rg6 at Lowes and made one continous run through the field and just slightly buried it, never had no issues with the setup.
post #11594 of 12893 Old 03-14-2017, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the information Neil!
post #11595 of 12893 Old 03-14-2017, 07:34 AM

The mention of RG6 cable made me think of question I have.

I re-wired my antenna set-up with RG6 cable and lost stations. When I switched everything back to RG59 the stations came back.

All I can think is: The RG59 cable is acting as part of my antenna system. Does that make any sense?
post #11596 of 12893 Old 03-14-2017, 08:00 AM

Thanks for your input Cody! I've got a long run of RG-11 that may work for this and maybe I could rig up a solar-battery powered inverter for the preamp or experiment with the passive repeater option. Right now, I'm trying to get LaffTV. My only options are WKPT off Holston Mtn, WSOC-Charlotte, and WATE-Knoxville. I've worked my rear off trying to get WKPT here and its just not happening...its medium power to start with and phased away from me. WKPT has three other translators and I can't even get the needle to move at all on my laptop Hauppauge signal monitor. I've not locked on to WSOC yet, so WATE is my only option right now. I did lock onto WCCB this weekend so I know that WSOC is still possible. I've sure had fun trying to get OTA HDTV. I can't get DSL nor cable here and I cut off the DirectTV last year for good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Griffin View Post
What you are describing with two antennas connected to each other is a passive repeater. The antennas need to be faily directional since you need to start with as much signal as possible for the input, but also want to avoid picking up the re-radiated signal. Below is a link that might give you some ideas. If you go ahead with it, let us know your results.
http://www.matthewsworkbench.com/passive-tv-repeater
Quote:
I'm not sure about how well the passive repeater thing works, I've never tried it, but I've heard of people doing it. I would give a preamplifier a try before I would do all that though, you may be on the outer limits of how far the power supply can provide power though. I would say my antenna is at least 150 maybe even 200 feet up the hill from my house and my rca pramp1r preamp works just fine with it and that is with rg6 coax. That would be the preamp I would suggest, you can order it online for about 25 bucks or get one at Lowes in Johnson City (Lowes in Marion don't keep them in stock). It has a good noise figure for the price and the gain is about 22 or 23 dbs on uhf which should cover your losses, you lose about 6 dbs of signal for every 100 feet of rg6, again your only issue may be the power supply not working for that long of a run, I've read somewhere before how far the power supply can work, but I can't remember now. I just bought one of the 500 foot boxes of rg6 at Lowes and made one continous run through the field and just slightly buried it, never had no issues with the setup.
post #11597 of 12893 Old 03-14-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input Cody! I've got a long run of RG-11 that may work for this and maybe I could rig up a solar-battery powered inverter for the preamp or experiment with the passive repeater option. Right now, I'm trying to get LaffTV. My only options are WKPT off Holston Mtn, WSOC-Charlotte, and WATE-Knoxville. I've worked my rear off trying to get WKPT here and its just not happening...its medium power to start with and phased away from me. WKPT has three other translators and I can't even get the needle to move at all on my laptop Hauppauge signal monitor. I've not locked on to WSOC yet, so WATE is my only option right now. I did lock onto WCCB this weekend so I know that WSOC is still possible. I've sure had fun trying to get OTA HDTV. I can't get DSL nor cable here and I cut off the DirectTV last year for good!
I'd shift focus away from WSOC if you're trying to get LAFF and go with one of the other options. Laff is moving to WAXN on June 1st to make room for Telemundo Charlotte.
post #11598 of 12893 Old 03-14-2017, 10:36 AM

Thank you for the update!

Quote:
I'd shift focus away from WSOC if you're trying to get LAFF and go with one of the other options. Laff is moving to WAXN on June 1st to make room for Telemundo Charlotte.
post #11599 of 12893 Old 03-14-2017, 11:03 AM

I've lost signal for WLOS's Paris Mountain translator on the TV (Mohu Leaf amplified antenna) on the front of the house even though I can see Paris Mountain from my back window and the TV on that side of the house is getting the signal fine using rabbit ears. I can get WBTV from 80+ miles away in Charlotte on the TV where WLOS won't show up. Frustrating.
post #11600 of 12893 Old 03-14-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDevildog View Post
I've lost signal for WLOS's Paris Mountain translator on the TV (Mohu Leaf amplified antenna) on the front of the house even though I can see Paris Mountain from my back window and the TV on that side of the house is getting the signal fine using rabbit ears. I can get WBTV from 80+ miles away in Charlotte on the TV where WLOS won't show up. Frustrating.
I have never been able to receive the long awaited Paris Mountain translator for WLOS at my location near Mauldin. It seems the power level is entirely too low to be of useful benefit. But fortunately I can reliably receive the main 13 signal from Asheville. But it takes some proper strategic work with the proper balance of antenna, amplifier, and filters. Most people just want to throw up some overamped Mohu and expect good results, which is not always feasible. Overload and interference will ruin the signal. But the signal is there with the right set up, it is just problematic for most folks in the Upstate. As for WBTV, they have a very strong UHF signal west of Charlotte, which is top mounted, full power, and omnidirectional. It comes in as good as the locals at my location.
post #11601 of 12893 Old 03-14-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One thing to keep in mind regarding antenna set ups is the upcoming FCC repack. So before major expenses I would wait a few weeks and see what the FCC announces after the end of the month. While the quiet period is now over and the gag order lifted, apparently for some reason the lawyers have told the individual broadcast companies to remain silent until the FCC officially releases this information. Hopefully most major stations in our area will maintain their current coverage areas despite possibly changing channels. I primarily hope to continue to reliably receive WYFF, WSPA, and WBTV, but it is also nice to get WCNC, WJZY, and WLOS. I use the Roku to watch the news from WSOC, which only comes in at night once you get past Spartanburg.
post #11602 of 12893 Old 03-14-2017, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Based on the NAB's Database of Repack information provided by the stations the following are the GSP channel moves:

WSPA- No info
WLOS- remains on Channel 13
WHNS- Moves from 21 to Channel 17
WYFF - moves from channel 36 to Channel 30
WMYA- moves from channel 14 to Channel 35
WYCW- No info yet

Also no info is in the database for any of the SC ETV stations.

An interesting note though.. per the database WOLO in Columbia is moving to VHF 7. That would seem to imply that WSPA might also have to move to avoid interference?
bdfox18doe likes this.

Last edited by cpalmer2k; 03-14-2017 at 05:01 PM.
post #11603 of 12893 Old 03-14-2017, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Based on the NAB's Database of Repack information provided by the stations the following are the GSP channel moves:

WSPA- No info
WLOS- remains on Channel 13
WHNS- Moves from 21 to Channel 17
WYFF - moves from channel 36 to Channel 30
WMYA- moves from channel 14 to Channel 35
WYCW- No info yet

Also no info is in the database for any of the SC ETV stations.

An interesting note though.. per the database WOLO in Columbia is moving to VHF 7. That would seem to imply that WSPA might also have to move to avoid interference?
Interesting preliminary information. Any information on the Columbia stations yet? Or link to the list?
post #11604 of 12893 Old 03-14-2017, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting preliminary information. Any information on the Columbia stations yet? Or link to the list?
Here is a rough spreadsheet I put together. My channel info came from a spreadsheet of DirecTV's locals, so it doesn't include every channel in every market. Just the major ones carried by the satellite providers. I plan to make a better version shortly, but this is what I have for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Repack 3.15.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	2026657  
post #11605 of 12893 Old 03-15-2017, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here is a rough spreadsheet I put together. My channel info came from a spreadsheet of DirecTV's locals, so it doesn't include every channel in every market. Just the major ones carried by the satellite providers. I plan to make a better version shortly, but this is what I have for now.
Trying to fit together the cookie cutter, here are a few observations between the markets. If WOLO in Columbia is indeed moving to RF7, then it would appear if WSPA may be moving from 7 to another channel, as there would be mutual interference since the regions overlap too close. And since WYFF is moving to 30, then the Shelby translator for WSOC may have to move.

Regarding WIS and WBTV, so far Raycom is being silent in this region, whereas they have announced other markets such as Virginia and Wilmington, NC. Hopefully they can remain on 10 and 23, but that remains to be seen. However there is a monkey wrench concerning WBTV, and it is due to one of their own stations. Apparently WECT in Wilmington is moving to 23, the same current channel as WBTV. Perhaps it is far enough away so WBTV may not have to change, and WECT is lower power about 400kw. And perhaps they could use a directional antenna to prevent same channel interference with WBTV. We shall see what happens here. Hopefully their good, strong signal can be preserved.

And regarding the power levels, so far it seems to be a bit lower for many of the new channels in various markets. And not necessarily because of the Dipole-Factor. Because currently there are numerous 1000kw stations above 23 that seem to be reduced after the repack. Possibly to avoid adjacent market interference since the broadcast spectrum has shrunk. Hopefully current coverage areas can be maintained. But this may be a concern for viewers in the fringe areas or border markets.

But of course this is still somewhat speculation until the engineers or the FCC are free to comment and explain. But at least some clues are now starting to trickle out.
post #11606 of 12893 Old 03-15-2017, 08:11 AM

^All in all, this seems like it will be a mess. A mess that didn't need to happen.

Let say the cell providers really did need more spectrum. Although that's probably not true.

The federal government owns lots and lots of spectrum. More they will ever need. Despite what they say, the military will never need all the spectrum they've set aside for them. They could have sold some of it to the cell phone folks and never have missed it. The amount spectrum set aside is massive. Instead they sold part of the "public" spectrum. We should furious about this.

The NAB fell down on their job because of their greed. They saw millions of dollars and forgot they are broadcasters. Most of these "broadcasters" don't care one little bit about over the air viewers. As long as the cable and satellite providers have their signal that's all they care about.

Sorry about the rant. But everything that's happening is clearly not in the public's interest.
mdavej likes this.

Last edited by rtripboy; 03-15-2017 at 08:48 AM.
post #11607 of 12893 Old 03-15-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Actually I don't think they are over compressing it, I think it is just an equipment issue. The bitrate on WHNS is still very high. I think the problem is for whatever reason the modulators they are using to combine their channels into one data stream doesn't like the FOX networks (or perhaps 720p feeds in general?)
I think they may have finally fixed whatever modulator problem they were having. WHNS on Charter looks ok now. Anyone else notice an improvement?
post #11608 of 12893 Old 03-15-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtripboy View Post
^All in all, this seems like it will be a mess. A mess that didn't need to happen.

Let say the cell providers really did need more spectrum. Although that's probably not true.

The federal government owns lots and lots of spectrum. More they will ever need. Despite what they say, the military will never need all the spectrum they've set aside for them. They could have sold some of it to the cell phone folks and never have missed it. The amount spectrum set aside is massive. Instead they sold part of the "public" spectrum. We should furious about this.

The NAB fell down on their job because of their greed. They saw millions of dollars and forgot they are broadcasters. Most of these "broadcasters" don't care one little bit about over the air viewers. As long as the cable and satellite providers have their signal that's all they care about.

Sorry about the rant. But everything that's happening is clearly not in the public's interest.
I am not addicted to the cell phone like most of America, so I am inclined to agree. I could care less about being "followed" on some random social media site, and I do not seek attention. So I am inclined to agree that most of this is unnecessary. And I certainly don't want to watch HDTV on a small cell phone screen. A nice big flat screen with a local channel in HD is much nicer.

But from the list so far, I do not necessarily see any loss of coverage areas for most of the major channels I currently receive. Despite some lower power levels in some cases. But this all remains to be seen.
post #11609 of 12893 Old 03-15-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My main curiosity right now is what changes may occur for WSPA and WBTV. Looks like WSPA may have to move from 7 since WOLO in Columbia will be changing to 7, according to the NAB list. WBTV has not yet stated, and I dont't know if the WECT move to 23 in Wilmington will have an effect.
post #11610 of 12893 Old 03-15-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I am not addicted to the cell phone like most of America, so I am inclined to agree. I could care less about being "followed" on some random social media site, and I do not seek attention. So I am inclined to agree that most of this is unnecessary. And I certainly don't want to watch HDTV on a small cell phone screen. A nice big flat screen with a local channel in HD is much nicer.

But from the list so far, I do not necessarily see any loss of coverage areas for most of the major channels I currently receive. Despite some lower power levels in some cases. But this all remains to be seen.
I don't see any changes for me, either. If WSPA is moved to a UHF channel that could be problem as they are the most distant. ETV's Greenville station moving back to UHF might make them slightly harder to get here in Oconee County.

Last edited by rtripboy; 03-15-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
fox giving me trouble too. , i must be experiencing atmospheric block out

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page