Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 389 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 121Likes

post #11641 of 12885 Old 04-08-2017, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Another interesting trend.. apparently now Charter viewers are getting Reds games on Fox Sports South. Apparently the "Carolinas" feed carries their games when the Braves don't conflict.

EDIT: This whole thing is getting stranger and stranger. I tried to tune into the Braves game a few minutes ago and couldn't find it.

Fox Sports Carolinas (the cable version of Fox Sports South) is showing Hurricanes Hockey
Fox Sports Southeast is showing the Hornets

and for the first time ever they actually appear to be using the Regional Sports Extra Games channel, but it is showing Atlanta professional soccer.

No Braves telecast on any channel. But if I pull up the Charter app and choose Fox Sports Southeast the app has the Braves feed.

Are those in Spartanburg/Greenville seeing the same thing?
I noticed the same thing tonight,I looked everywhere for the braves game and couldn't find it, I even tried the fox sports go app and couldn't find it. I eventually just pulled it up on the vipbox website and chromecasted it to the tv. Apparently it was not available live in the Carolinas tonight due to the hurricanes and hornets playing tonight, the braves were set to be shown on replay at 11 pm. It's just strange this day in time when you're used to every game being on live to not be able to find it. I know here in Mitchell County we have received the braves and reds games for years on Directv and Dish, the old saying used to be that if you lived west of the eastern continental divide (the front range of the Blue Ridge) you were a reds fan and if you lived east of it you were a braves fan. I have family in Wilkes County that actually receive both braves and nationals games on directv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11642 of 12885 Old 04-09-2017, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I noticed this morning that the FSN regional channels are breaking up all the time and aren't as stable.
post #11643 of 12885 Old 04-09-2017, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Another interesting trend.. apparently now Charter viewers are getting Reds games on Fox Sports South. Apparently the "Carolinas" feed carries their games when the Braves don't conflict.
This isn't new. MLB.tv has blacked out Reds games in the Upstate SC for as long as I can remember. I believe that finally changed last year. Apparently, we are a part of their market somehow. And I have seen a few Reds games on FoxSports these last few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11644 of 12885 Old 04-09-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncbraves View Post
I noticed the same thing tonight,I looked everywhere for the braves game and couldn't find it, I even tried the fox sports go app and couldn't find it. I eventually just pulled it up on the vipbox website and chromecasted it to the tv. Apparently it was not available live in the Carolinas tonight due to the hurricanes and hornets playing tonight, the braves were set to be shown on replay at 11 pm. It's just strange this day in time when you're used to every game being on live to not be able to find it. I know here in Mitchell County we have received the braves and reds games for years on Directv and Dish, the old saying used to be that if you lived west of the eastern continental divide (the front range of the Blue Ridge) you were a reds fan and if you lived east of it you were a braves fan. I have family in Wilkes County that actually receive both braves and nationals games on directv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post
This isn't new. MLB.tv has blacked out Reds games in the Upstate SC for as long as I can remember. I believe that finally changed last year. Apparently, we are a part of their market somehow. And I have seen a few Reds games on FoxSports these last few years.
I guess I've just never really noticed it before. The Reds do claim the western part of NC as their territory, but none of S.C. I guess it is too hard for Charter to flip feeds constantly like DirecTV and others do, so they just give all of us in the GSP/Charlotte markets the "Carolinas" feed. The guide data did match the programming, and I did think to check MLB.TV to see if it was blacked out (the Reds weren't but the Braves were). The Spectrum app did have the Braves game on, but for some reason they must not have an agreement with Fox Sports Go for Sports South & Southeast. All the other Fox Sports channels are available on it, but not those two.

I know that those in the Charlotte market actually get the Reds (if they subscribe to the Sports Pack), Braves, Nationals and Orioles games on DirecTV. Not sure how many of those are carried on cable though.
post #11645 of 12885 Old 04-13-2017, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Results of the Incentive Auction for Greenville, SC/Asheville, NC market:

WGGS 16 (Ind) is moving to Lo-VHF. WRET 49 (PBS/SCETV), WYCW 62 (The CW) are going off-the-air according to the official FCC post-channel release. They mentioned some TV stations from Charlotte, NC. But not those from Columbia, SC and Charleston, SC DMAs.

It's on the FCC's website!

According to the NAB's website, new channel assignments for this market:

WYFF 4 (NBC): Post auction channel will be UHF 30.
WSPA 7 (CBS): Unknown
WLOS 13 (ABC): Post auction channel will be VHF 13
WGGS 16 (IND): Move to Lo-VHF
WHNS 21 (FOX): Post auction channel will be UHF 17
WNTV 29 (PBS/SCETV): Unknown
WUNF 33 (PBS/UNC-TV): Post auction channel will be UHF 20
WNEH 38 (PBS/SCETV): Unknown
WMYA 40 (MNT): Post auction channel will be UHF 35
WRET 49 (PBS/SCETV): Going off-the-air
WYCW 62 (The CW): Going off-the-air

The future of over the air TV is in limbo?

Spencer Karter

OTA Equipment: ChannelMaster 25' telescopic mast, 5' extra antenna mast, antenna rotor, AntennaCraft C490.
post #11646 of 12885 Old 04-13-2017, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Results of the Incentive Auction for Greenville, SC/Asheville, NC market:

WGGS 16 (Ind) is moving to Lo-VHF. WRET 49 (PBS/SCETV), WYCW 62 (The CW) are going off-the-air according to the official FCC post-channel release. They mentioned some TV stations from Charlotte, NC. But not those from Columbia, SC and Charleston, SC DMAs.

It's on the FCC's website!

According to the NAB's website, new channel assignments for this market:

WYFF 4 (NBC): Post auction channel will be UHF 30.
WSPA 7 (CBS): Unknown
WLOS 13 (ABC): Post auction channel will be VHF 13
WGGS 16 (IND): Move to Lo-VHF
WHNS 21 (FOX): Post auction channel will be UHF 17
WNTV 29 (PBS/SCETV): Unknown
WUNF 33 (PBS/UNC-TV): Post auction channel will be UHF 20
WNEH 38 (PBS/SCETV): Unknown
WMYA 40 (MNT): Post auction channel will be UHF 35
WRET 49 (PBS/SCETV): Going off-the-air
WYCW 62 (The CW): Going off-the-air

The future of over the air TV is in limbo?
Not surprised about WYCW. Having worked for MG I knew they never wanted WYCW, but they had nothing to sell but the license.(No studio, no tower site) As WGGS, I'm surprised they didn't sell out completely and go black. And SCETV has never cared about the upstate and they probably feel that between their Greenville and Rock Hill stations, WRET won't be missed.

What I find pretty amazing is that WNBC in New York City is listed as going off the air.

Last edited by rtripboy; 04-13-2017 at 09:35 PM.
post #11647 of 12885 Old 04-13-2017, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtripboy View Post
Not surprised about WYCW. Having worked for MG I knew they never wanted WYCW, but they had nothing to sell but the license.(No studio, no tower site) As WGGS, I'm surprised they didn't sell out completely and go black. And SCETV has never cared about the upstate and they probably feel that between their Greenville and Rock Hill stations, WRET won't be missed.

What I find pretty amazing is that WNBC in New York City is listed as going off the air.
I've noticed about WNBC 4 (NBC O&O) in NYC going off the air in post auction. I was S-H-O-C-K-E-D! :O

Spencer Karter

OTA Equipment: ChannelMaster 25' telescopic mast, 5' extra antenna mast, antenna rotor, AntennaCraft C490.
post #11648 of 12885 Old 04-14-2017, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
I've noticed about WNBC 4 (NBC O&O) in NYC going off the air in post auction. I was S-H-O-C-K-E-D! :O
WNBC will channel share with sister station WNJU which is moving to 35. Apparently that was considered the superior signal.

Last edited by tylerSC; 04-14-2017 at 06:59 AM.
post #11649 of 12885 Old 04-14-2017, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

UPDATE: WSPA is moving from 7 to 11. WGGS is moving from 16 to 2.
post #11650 of 12885 Old 04-14-2017, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Speculation that WSPA move CW program to 11 and share channel since WYCW is going off the air. Unannounced so far.
post #11651 of 12885 Old 04-14-2017, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
WNBC is indicated as having a pre-auction channel sharing agreement, and sister station WNJU was kept and has the better signal. NBC's already running NBC and Telemundo in HD on the same signal in Boston, Philadelphia, and San Francisco.

Did WRET serve anyone who couldn't receive WNTV or WNSC? The coverage maps I've seen/made certainly don't indicate any unique coverage for WRET.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11652 of 12885 Old 04-14-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WNBC is indicated as having a pre-auction channel sharing agreement, and sister station WNJU was kept and has the better signal. NBC's already running NBC and Telemundo in HD on the same signal in Boston, Philadelphia, and San Francisco.

Did WRET serve anyone who couldn't receive WNTV or WNSC? The coverage maps I've seen/made certainly don't indicate any unique coverage for WRET.

- Trip
Probably not. WRET has a good UHF signal, but at my location in Greenville County, there is major duplication for SCETV. I get 3 strong channels for SCETV which includes WRET, WNVT, and whatever channel 38 from Greenwood is. Plus UNC-TV from Asheville which is also PBS. There should be no loss of coverage without WRET, except for the convenience of a UHF antenna in some cases. But supposedly WNSC has a spotty signal from Rock Hill and I am not sure how well it reaches Spartanburg. But WNVT should be available and has a strong signal.
post #11653 of 12885 Old 04-14-2017, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

While some religious stations may be going of the air in certain markets, I am glad to see WGGS will remain on the air. Despite moving from 16 to 2. I think the family is trying to honor the memory of founders Jimmy and Joanne Thompson and preserve the station while resisting the temptation to sell out. They still carry the local Niteline program, as well as Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart on SBN. And also Trinity Broadcasting. A legacy Christian station and one of Jim and Tammy's original affiliates. And Tammy Faye's final religious show You Can Make It! was on WGGS.

But I am concerned that VHF-2 may be more problematic to receive.
post #11654 of 12885 Old 04-14-2017, 07:19 AM

Some figures.
WGGS - $44,342,767
WYCW - $45,595,498
WRET - 43,162,610

WRET makes sense, it's not really needed. We just need to make sure they spend at least part of that money in the Upstate. Your representative in Columbia is the person to talk to about that.

WGGS - Makes sure your Grandma see this figure. And tell her not to send any more money to them. They should never need to beg for money ever again.
post #11655 of 12885 Old 04-14-2017, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Some figures.
WGGS - $44,342,767
WYCW - $45,595,498
WRET - 43,162,610

WRET makes sense, it's not really needed. We just need to make sure they spend at least part of that money in the Upstate. Your representative in Columbia is the person to talk to about that.

WGGS - Makes sure your Grandma see this figure. And tell her not to send any more money to them. They should never need to beg for money ever again.
All religious stations "beg for money" because they don't sell advertising and have to pay salaries and expenses. And I would assume a pretty big power bill for that transmitter. But the problem becomes the stewardship. As we know there was the unfortunate issue at the old PTL.

And yes WRET makes sense because there was too much unnecessary overlap and duplication for SCETV. Maybe the politicians in Columbia can use some of this money to repair the roads rather than raise the gas tax.

Last edited by tylerSC; 04-14-2017 at 07:41 AM.
post #11656 of 12885 Old 04-14-2017, 09:44 AM

I don't want to get into a disagreement about religious stations. But, WGGS does sell advertising. Both local and national. They have the best of both worlds. They are non-profit and yet they still sell spots. They're not running QVC on 16.5 for free. And I suspect they're being paid to run the programming on 16.3 & 4.
mdavej and eacalhoun like this.

Last edited by rtripboy; 04-14-2017 at 10:39 AM.
post #11657 of 12885 Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My only surprise is that Sinclair didn't unload WMYA and channel share them with WLOS. It would have actually improved the coverage area considering most of the NC viewers in the market can't pick them up at all.
eacalhoun and rtripboy like this.
post #11658 of 12885 Old 04-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 35
From this site http://current.org/2017/04/final-fcc...l-tv-stations/

Said wret is merge into another spectrum

I wonder what happen to Gettv on wycw 62.3 when the switch
post #11659 of 12885 Old 04-14-2017, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
From this site http://current.org/2017/04/final-fcc...l-tv-stations/

Said wret is merge into another spectrum

I wonder what happen to Gettv on wycw 62.3 when the switch

Another big question... will WSPA drop to 720p in order to better accommodate WYCW?
post #11660 of 12885 Old 04-14-2017, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Another big question... will WSPA drop to 720p in order to better accommodate WYCW?
I receive WCYB from Bristol TN and they carry NBC and the CW both in 1080 as well as another subchannel. When flipping through the channels from WYFF ch 4 to WCYB ch 5 I honestly can not tell any difference in the picture quality between the two nbc stations, I'm sure it hurts the quality somewhat, but I can't tell the difference other than the file size being a little smaller on WCYB recordings than it is when recorded on WYFF.
post #11661 of 12885 Old 04-15-2017, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I hope they don't drop metv to carry the cw. Best if they drop the .3 and put cw on .3 unless they go with atsc 3.0 where the could have muiples sub channels and I wonder if they will keep Wycw and Gettv feed on charter
post #11662 of 12885 Old 04-15-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
I hope they don't drop metv to carry the cw. Best if they drop the .3 and put cw on .3 unless they go with atsc 3.0 where the could have muiples sub channels and I wonder if they will keep Wycw and Gettv feed on charter
Looking at what they do other markets....

Nexstar also owns WJHL in Johnson City. They carry CBS in 1080i and ABC in 720p. No other sub-channels.

I find it hard to believe that WSPA would drop ME-TV. But, who knows about ION and GET.
I think it would largely depend on the contracts they've signed with those channels.

I talked to a former workmate, who has talked to someone at WSPA and was told they plan to move the CW to WSPA. But he didn't ask about ME-TV, ION or GET.

Last edited by rtripboy; 04-15-2017 at 12:41 PM.
post #11663 of 12885 Old 04-15-2017, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 32
(trimmed a lot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I am glad to see WGGS will remain on the air.

But I am concerned that VHF-2 may be more problematic to receive.
I'm going to make a guess that they don't care about OTA and that channel 2 is cheap. It wouldn't surprise me a bit for them to put a 1 watt transmitter up and invoke the "must carry" to be on cable and satellite.

But that's an uneducated guess.
cpalmer2k and rtripboy like this.
post #11664 of 12885 Old 04-16-2017, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looking at what they do other markets....

Nexstar also owns WJHL in Johnson City. They carry CBS in 1080i and ABC in 720p. No other sub-channels.

I find it hard to believe that WSPA would drop ME-TV. But, who knows about ION and GET.
I think it would largely depend on the contracts they've signed with those channels.

I talked to a former workmate, who has talked to someone at WSPA and was told they plan to move the CW to WSPA. But he didn't ask about ME-TV, ION or GET.
I would hope they would continue to carrry CBS in 1080i and add CW in 720p. That would probably be best. And hopefully keep MeTV. Currently CW is 1080i on WYCW, but CW also send a 1080i feed to certain affiliates such as WCCB. Since they will be combining 2 HD channels, I think it would work best to switch CW to 720. But I wonder if they will continue to brand the CW as 62 or change it to 7.2?
post #11665 of 12885 Old 04-16-2017, 07:32 AM

I've doing a little research. Here'e a channel map of KBMT, Beaumont Texas. It show the most HD channels I could find on one signal.

Channel Video Aspect
12.1 720p 16:9 Main KBMT programming / ABC
12.2 720p 16:9 KBMT-DT2 / NBC
12.3 720p 16:9 Cozi TV
12.4 480i 4:3 MeTV

After looking this again, it appear these two stations are carried on low power KUIL, but marketed as 12.5 & 12.6
12.5 480i 4:3 MYTX KUIL-LD / MyNetworkTV
12.6 480i 4:3 MundoMax

I don't know why anyone would transmit Cozi TV in 720p as there is no HD programming the network. This info is from their Wikipedia page. So, it may or may not be correct. Who knows.

Last edited by rtripboy; 04-16-2017 at 07:46 AM.
post #11666 of 12885 Old 04-16-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
You should look at KCEN, the most recent information I have on it says it has 3x 720p and 2x 480i. Now that MundoMax is gone, I don't know what they're doing.

But to answer the question, KBMT eventually flipped it and now MeTV is in 720p, since MeTV actually provides 720p to affiliates now.

- Trip
rtripboy likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11667 of 12885 Old 04-17-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

When will they decide about the translators? This market has numerous translators in Western NC, including WSPA, WYFF, and WLOS. And WSOC and WCCB have translators for Charlotte. Will there be an effort to accommodate any of these channels?

And since WYCW is going away, that will remove a simulcast of WSPA in NC.

And since WYFF is moving to 30 and reaches Shelby, it looks like the WSOC translator will have to move to another channel if allowed since 30 will be used by a full power signal.
post #11668 of 12885 Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think it will be a awhile until we know about how this will affect translators. The engineers are probably still digesting all of the changes, especially if their main facility is changing channels. There are a lot of hard deadlines stations have to meet for the repack, so expect the main facility to take precedence. There will be a window for translators and low power stations to apply for changes if they are displaced. There is also the possibility that some can't find a place on the dial, or that stations decide that there aren't enough OTA viewers in an area to justify the expense of changes.

Last edited by Neil Griffin; 04-18-2017 at 09:25 AM.
post #11669 of 12885 Old 04-24-2017, 09:07 AM

Does anyone know if SC ETV has a back-up power generator for WNTV in Greenville?

I've noticed during bad weather both WNTV and WGGS seem to go off the air at the same time. Both would get their power from Blue Ridge Electric.

If not this seems a good use for some of the $43,000,000 they got for WRET.

Last edited by rtripboy; 04-24-2017 at 10:31 AM.
post #11670 of 12885 Old 04-24-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone know if SC ETV has a back-up power generator for WNTV in Greenville?

I've noticed during bad weather both WNTV and WGGS seem to go off the air at the same time. Both would get their power from Blue Ridge Electric.

If not this seems a good use for some of the $43,000,000 they got for WRET.
Both WNTV and WGGS are on Paris Mountain and probably may share the same transmission facility. Or at least the same power supply. But perhaps they should look at a backup plan. But if you have an antenna you may also get SCETV from Greenwood channel 38. Which also has a good bit of overlap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
fox giving me trouble too. , i must be experiencing atmospheric block out

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page