Greenville, SC - HDTV - Page 429 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 136Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12841 of 13023 Old 09-29-2019, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 17,207
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 4448
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...-1st-post.html

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12842 of 13023 Old 09-29-2019, 09:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
It also helps tremendously to include details that might not even seem relevant.

Location of antenna. Roof? Attic? Height? Make and model of antenna?
What make and model of television(s) are you connecting?
Set top box? make and model, please, if any.
HTPC? Need to know what kind of tuner card you're using. Make and model.
Length and type of coax. (Hopefully RG-6)
Pre-amp. Make and model.
Domicile. Apartment? Ground floor? Valley? Hill? Facing which direction?
Nearby buildings.
Nearby towers. Cellular? AM? FM?

The more details that are in YOUR FIRST POST, the faster you'll get help.

Thanks for the tips !


The antenna sits next to a window, on the second story of a garden apartment, located on the Eastside of Greenville. Here's the antenna model:


https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-ANTOP.../dp/B07LFR7BD7


I have limited options as far as mounting, aiming, etc., although the antenna is surprisingly adept at picking up stations. I am trying to get WLOS in Asheville however...it does not come in. I do not recall seeing any cell towers nearby.



The antenna is fed right into my LG television. The distance between my antenna to my TV is 4 feet.


The main question that I have, is about selecting a signal amplifier of 10-15db boost, that's both inexpensive and reliable.


When looking at the users reviews, most antenna boosters on the market, have a high rate of dissatisfaction, with users reporting no noticeable improvement in signal strength.


I am looking for a recommendation on an inexpensive, UL approved, signal booster that is brought to the market by a company with low failure rates.


Thank you
newdorplane is offline  
post #12843 of 13023 Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 17,207
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 4448
An amplifier likely won't help you. You can't amplify what isn't there to begin with. If a television hooked point-blank (1-5 feet of RG-6 coax) to the antenna won't pick something up, then amplification won't help. You'll need to move the antenna, go higher with it or try a different antenna. As you're already just 4-feet away, an amp won't help.

I ran a signal report for a random location based on your description:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=15817

One for your address would be better, which is why that's addressed in the sticky note I referred you to, above. Your address won't show to anyone but you.

WLOS is VHF and that "antenna" only has a single VHF dipole. Odds of it working given your terrain are slim to none. There IS a translator for WLOS on RF Ch 31, W31DY. That might be the easier get, but it'll depend on your location. The signal appears to have a lot of dead zones in your neck of the woods.

Someone subscribed to this thread might have better experience with W31DY and can suggest an antenna the might work for your location.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12844 of 13023 Old 09-30-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,744
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdorplane View Post
Good Evening Y'all:


I am renting an apartment on the Eastside of Greenville (SC), and I would like to boost the signal coming out of my non-amplified Antop antenna, by 10-15db.


I'm looking for something inexpensive, yet as I look into what's available on the market, I find that users are reporting a high rate of failure. In other words, when I speak of a failure rate, I am not talking about the longevity of the item, I speak to a significant number of users claiming that the devices that they purchased did absolutely nothing to strengthen their existing signals out of the antenna.


Can someone recommend a UL or ETL listed, inexpensive yet solidly reliable, unit that will boost the signal of one antenna/TV by 10-15db?



Thanks in advance
Several Antop antennas come with an included inline amplifier, and their newer SBS models have a built in amplifier. I suggest antenna versions 400BV or 800SBS. The 800SBS has very good reception and very selective adjustable gain control on the amplifier, and dual outputs. And it has an indoor stand. There are various price points on Amazon and HSN, and best coupon price is $129. That antenna ould provide better overall results, although the single VHF dipole may remain problematic for 13-WLOS.

But with your current antenna, you may try ordering an Antop amplifier separately from Amazon. Model AT-601B is an inline amplifier with adjustable gain, currently priced $17.98. The identical white version is a dollar more. And their new amplifier with more selective gain control is model SBS-602B, priced $36.98. Or you may consider Winegard LNA100 inline amp, but there is no adjustable gain. The inline amp is paced near the TV or junction box, and the longer cable run goes to the antenna.

The other choice is a preamp, such as Winegard LNA200 which can be placed at the antenna. But Channel Master Amplify may be a better choice as it offers adjustable gain. Or a Channel Master 3410 distribution amp has 15db gain and can be placed right at the antenna with a 1 to foot cable o avoid signal loss.

But short and simple, and price wise, you may consider ordering the Antop AT-601B inline amp for $17.98 and see if that offers some improvement. But for 13 you may need a stronger VHF antenna.
tylerSC is online now  
post #12845 of 13023 Old 09-30-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,744
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 252
^^Also the WLOS translator on RF31 is weak and difficult to receive. When I lived on the eastern side of Greenville it was very difficult to pick up. You may need a stronger UHF antenna such as a 4bay or the Antop 400BV or 800SBS, where the UHF at panels are larger than your current model. And adding an amplifier may be necessary to receive the weak translator signal.

But it may be easier to receive the main channel 13 from Asheville, but you will need a fully extended set of rabbit ears. Best Buy still sells an amplified antenna with rabbit ears and a UHF flat panel from RCA, model ANT1275F. It was priced at $29, but now appears to be $34.99 online, but perhaps cheaper in the store. But you may want to give that a try. It is about the only amplified rabbit ears you can find right now, and that is what you need for VHF channels such as 13.
tylerSC is online now  
post #12846 of 13023 Old 09-30-2019, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdorplane View Post
Thanks for the tips !


The antenna sits next to a window, on the second story of a garden apartment, located on the Eastside of Greenville. Here's the antenna model:


https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-ANTOP.../dp/B07LFR7BD7


I have limited options as far as mounting, aiming, etc., although the antenna is surprisingly adept at picking up stations. I am trying to get WLOS in Asheville however...it does not come in. I do not recall seeing any cell towers nearby.
..
I give you a map to have an idea where to aim. Put the long elements of your antenna perpendicular to the line. Higher is always better, a few feet can make a difference. If you can get the antenna on top of a shelf aimed in the proper direction, it can help.

johnny antenna is offline  
post #12847 of 13023 Old 09-30-2019, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Adjacent to the aromatic Reedy River
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 22
WLOS is just a pain to pick up in much of the Upstate. A friend recently moved into a townhouse on the Eastside. She can only pick up 13's main signal on the second level of her townhouse if the Mohu Leaf indoor antenna is in just the right spot. A Clearstream 2Max in the same spot didn't do as well. You'll probably just need a lot of trial and error to see if you can get a signal. There are times I can't get the translator in 31 and I live less than five miles from the tower on Paris Mountain.
OldDevildog is offline  
post #12848 of 13023 Old 09-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
An amplifier likely won't help you. You can't amplify what isn't there to begin with. If a television hooked point-blank (1-5 feet of RG-6 coax) to the antenna won't pick something up, then amplification won't help. You'll need to move the antenna, go higher with it or try a different antenna. As you're already just 4-feet away, an amp won't help.

I ran a signal report for a random location based on your description:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=15817

One for your address would be better, which is why that's addressed in the sticky note I referred you to, above. Your address won't show to anyone but you.

WLOS is VHF and that "antenna" only has a single VHF dipole. Odds of it working given your terrain are slim to none. There IS a translator for WLOS on RF Ch 31, W31DY. That might be the easier get, but it'll depend on your location. The signal appears to have a lot of dead zones in your neck of the woods.

Someone subscribed to this thread might have better experience with W31DY and can suggest an antenna the might work for your location.

Doc

Thanks Doc, for both your time and council


Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Several Antop antennas come with an included inline amplifier, and their newer SBS models have a built in amplifier. I suggest antenna versions 400BV or 800SBS. The 800SBS has very good reception and very selective adjustable gain control on the amplifier, and dual outputs. And it has an indoor stand. There are various price points on Amazon and HSN, and best coupon price is $129. That antenna ould provide better overall results, although the single VHF dipole may remain problematic for 13-WLOS.

But with your current antenna, you may try ordering an Antop amplifier separately from Amazon. Model AT-601B is an inline amplifier with adjustable gain, currently priced $17.98. The identical white version is a dollar more. And their new amplifier with more selective gain control is model SBS-602B, priced $36.98. Or you may consider Winegard LNA100 inline amp, but there is no adjustable gain. The inline amp is paced near the TV or junction box, and the longer cable run goes to the antenna.

The other choice is a preamp, such as Winegard LNA200 which can be placed at the antenna. But Channel Master Amplify may be a better choice as it offers adjustable gain. Or a Channel Master 3410 distribution amp has 15db gain and can be placed right at the antenna with a 1 to foot cable o avoid signal loss.

But short and simple, and price wise, you may consider ordering the Antop AT-601B inline amp for $17.98 and see if that offers some improvement. But for 13 you may need a stronger VHF antenna.

Thanks so much Tyler! As a rule of thumb, if you're looking at amazons reviews, and users claim little to no improvement when using an amplifier, would you simply chalk it up to user error?


In other words, would you say that these things are pretty reliable, and that the bad user reports are due to unmet/unrealistic expectations, as opposed to a bad product?


Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny antenna View Post
I give you a map to have an idea where to aim. Put the long elements of your antenna perpendicular to the line. Higher is always better, a few feet can make a difference. If you can get the antenna on top of a shelf aimed in the proper direction, it can help.


Thank you Johnny, for both your time and for the info that you provided. Based upon the map that you provided, the apartment configuration provides me limitations that I can't overcome. The antenna is set in a southeasterly direction, and there's no way to change that. I do thank you for your time

Last edited by newdorplane; 09-30-2019 at 11:26 AM.
newdorplane is offline  
post #12849 of 13023 Old 09-30-2019, 11:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDevildog View Post
WLOS is just a pain to pick up in much of the Upstate. A friend recently moved into a townhouse on the Eastside. She can only pick up 13's main signal on the second level of her townhouse if the Mohu Leaf indoor antenna is in just the right spot. A Clearstream 2Max in the same spot didn't do as well. You'll probably just need a lot of trial and error to see if you can get a signal. There are times I can't get the translator in 31 and I live less than five miles from the tower on Paris Mountain.

I thank you for your time OldDevil. It's a sad thing that ABC doesn't come in well in the Upstate.


All that said, ABC aside, I am very happy with the variety of stations here, and I am very pleased with my Antop's performance.
newdorplane is offline  
post #12850 of 13023 Old 09-30-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,744
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 252
An amplifier can help to stabilize weak signals or prevent dropouts. But too much gain will overpower strong signals and cause overload and loss of signal. So therefore an adjustable gain amplifier may be more helpful, as you can more precisely fine tune the system. The Antop AT-601B is an affordable amplifier with adjustable gain, so I would perhaps give that a try. Also problems occur when folks don't install the amplifiers correctly, especially regarding proper placement of the amplifier, power supply, and splitters.
tylerSC is online now  
post #12851 of 13023 Old 09-30-2019, 05:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
An amplifier can help to stabilize weak signals or prevent dropouts. But too much gain will overpower strong signals and cause overload and loss of signal. So therefore an adjustable gain amplifier may be more helpful, as you can more precisely fine tune the system. The Antop AT-601B is an affordable amplifier with adjustable gain, so I would perhaps give that a try. Also problems occur when folks don't install the amplifiers correctly, especially regarding proper placement of the amplifier, power supply, and splitters.

Thank you Tyler, for your helpful, and educational, reply. I'll give the AT-601B a shot. We do have a pixilating station or two, so even if I don't get WLOS, it's worth the nominal cost.
newdorplane is offline  
post #12852 of 13023 Old 10-01-2019, 03:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,744
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdorplane View Post
Thank you Tyler, for your helpful, and educational, reply. I'll give the AT-601B a shot. We do have a pixilating station or two, so even if I don't get WLOS, it's worth the nominal cost.
Hopefully the amplifier will help with certain problematic channels. But WLOS may still prove problematic. You may want to consider a different choice of antenna. The Antop 800SBS is $99 on HSN with NEW20 coupon code. Although 13 may still require a better VHF antenna. And from the east side of Greenville you may also receive WBTV-3 from Charlotte if you are pointed the right way and add an amplifier.
tylerSC is online now  
post #12853 of 13023 Old 10-01-2019, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
LMckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spartanburg,SC
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Have anybody able pick up WGGS TV 16 RF 2
LMckin is offline  
post #12854 of 13023 Old 10-01-2019, 05:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
Have anybody able pick up WGGS TV 16 RF 2
I just checked and I am picking it up okay in Simpsonville using an RCA ANT-751 antenna mounted outside of one of my 2nd story windows which places it about 12-14 feet above ground. I have no idea if WGGS has totally switched over or not but if it has, then I am getting in on channel 2 with just a VHF-hi antenna.

The one I have the most problems with is Channel 28 which seems to be totally gone for me and has been for over a month. No big deal as I never really watched it very much. I do watch and record some shows on 16 using a Tablo, though, and it has been coming in mostly solidly all year for me.
Frostyboy115 is offline  
post #12855 of 13023 Old 10-01-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,744
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
Have anybody able pick up WGGS TV 16 RF 2
Have they gone to full power yet?
tylerSC is online now  
post #12856 of 13023 Old 10-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
LMckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spartanburg,SC
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Have they gone to full power yet?
Yes they have i sent them a message on Facebook and they reply back said yes they have gone back full power.
LMckin is offline  
post #12857 of 13023 Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
Yes they have i sent them a message on Facebook and they reply back said yes they have gone back full power.
I guess my question is: Are they still on the temporary tower and still using the temporary antenna?
Being at full power won't solve everyone's problems with them if they are still on the temporary tower.

And when will Channel 28 switch to it's new channel?
rtripboy is offline  
post #12858 of 13023 Old 10-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
LMckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spartanburg,SC
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtripboy View Post
I guess my question is: Are they still on the temporary tower and still using the temporary antenna?
Being at full power won't solve everyone's problems with them if they are still on the temporary tower.

And when will Channel 28 switch to it's new channel?
I think they are on it new Antenna if they are on Full Power and i don't know about the Low power channel 16 as i'm unable to get that channel either.

someone posted few threads up said they can get channel 16 RF 2 in Simpsonville.

I read on Facebook where they said they Completed the change and power increase around September 25

https://www.facebook.com/WGGSTV16/po...99338580113935

Last edited by LMckin; 10-01-2019 at 09:32 PM.
LMckin is offline  
post #12859 of 13023 Old 10-02-2019, 06:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
I think they are on it new Antenna if they are on Full Power and i don't know about the Low power channel 16 as i'm unable to get that channel either.

someone posted few threads up said they can get channel 16 RF 2 in Simpsonville.

I read on Facebook where they said they Completed the change and power increase around September 25

https://www.facebook.com/WGGSTV16/po...99338580113935
WGGS only has one listing now on RabbitEars so they've probably switched over to their permanent facility.

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...cility_id=9064
johnny antenna is offline  
post #12860 of 13023 Old 10-02-2019, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
LMckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spartanburg,SC
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtripboy View Post
I guess my question is: Are they still on the temporary tower and still using the temporary antenna?
Being at full power won't solve everyone's problems with them if they are still on the temporary tower.

And when will Channel 28 switch to it's new channel?

They haven't switch 28 to 16 yet they doing some RF interference surveys at the current time. for 28 to 16

when the WUNF Translator at Tryron Peak switch to channel 16 also it might be harder to pickup 28 on 16 if WUNF is on same RF 16 channel.

Last edited by LMckin; 10-02-2019 at 08:36 AM.
LMckin is offline  
post #12861 of 13023 Old 10-02-2019, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm still having to use an roof mounted antenna to get WGGS. I can live with that. All I ever watch from them is the Quest network.

On another note. I grew frustrated with the lack of information coming from UNC-TV about WUNF. I wrote them and asked if they were on low power and using a temporary antenna or if they were on full power and using their permanent antenna.

I didn't get a complete answer to my question. They did tell me they are operating on lowered power. And offered to put me in touch with one their engineers. But I think they told me all I need to know. I have been able to get them at their current power levels, but it requires dedicating an antenna just for them. It would be simpler if I could use my main antenna set-up to get them. I still hope I can do that when they go to full power.
rtripboy is offline  
post #12862 of 13023 Old 10-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Likely a 4 bay bowtie would work much better.
I would buy the Winegard Lna-100 for your indoor only installation as it will give the best performance for the money if you want to see if you can use the Antop.
old tv guy is offline  
post #12863 of 13023 Old 10-02-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,744
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by old tv guy View Post
Likely a 4 bay bowtie would work much better.
I would buy the Winegard Lna-100 for your indoor only installation as it will give the best performance for the money if you want to see if you can use the Antop.
The 4bay bowtie work very good for most major channels and the LNA100 is indeed one of the better inline amps. But the Antop amp does have the adjustable gain feature which can be very helpful. And the 4bay can usually get WSPA but an additional VHF antenna may be needed for WLOS.
LMckin likes this.
tylerSC is online now  
post #12864 of 13023 Old 10-02-2019, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
LMckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spartanburg,SC
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The 4bay bowtie work very good for most major channels and the LNA100 is indeed one of the better inline amps. But the Antop amp does have the adjustable gain feature which can be very helpful. And the 4bay can usually get WSPA but an additional VHF antenna may be needed for WLOS.

I'm using a 4 bay antenna indoor right now and a Wingard inline amp few weeks ago when the Trop was very strong i picked up WLOS 13 for very short time til it fade out.
LMckin is offline  
post #12865 of 13023 Old 10-04-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,751
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Does anybody still get WNGS 50 (freq 33) in Greenville? Or did they go off the air?
mdavej is online now  
post #12866 of 13023 Old 10-04-2019, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Does anybody still get WNGS 50 (freq 33) in Greenville? Or did they go off the air?
I got them briefly about a week ago, late at night. But I'm out of their coverage area and it's rare for me to get them.
rtripboy is offline  
post #12867 of 13023 Old 10-04-2019, 09:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Adjacent to the aromatic Reedy River
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 22
WNGS has been off the air a week or so, but all five channels came up on the last scan i did.
OldDevildog is offline  
post #12868 of 13023 Old 10-06-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,751
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtripboy View Post
I got them briefly about a week ago, late at night. But I'm out of their coverage area and it's rare for me to get them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDevildog View Post
WNGS has been off the air a week or so, but all five channels came up on the last scan i did.
Thanks. Finally got them after several rescans today.
mdavej is online now  
post #12869 of 13023 Old 10-08-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,744
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Overall I have seen improvement with main repack channels, except for WGGS which moved from RF16 to RF2. And 13-WLOS also remains problematic, barely hanging on. But not all VHF is problematic, as my UHF antennas pull in good strong signals from WSPA and SCETV.

I have installed a Channel Master 5016 Masterpiece antenna with the long VHF elements in the attic. After some difficulty, I am finally receiving WGGS on RF2, but only 3 or 4 bars. And WLOS is only 2 or 3 bars on 13. And can only get a signal when the antenna is tilted upward. Have tried with or without several amplifiers. Still a challenge. And ironically it is now easier to pull in WSOC from Charlotte on 19 than it is to get WLOS on 13. And on 19 I get 3 or 4 bars during the day increasing to 6 or 10 at night depending upon conditions. WLOS and WGGS remain problematic, but still working on it. But moving an antenna with long elements between the rafters is a challenge in itself.
tylerSC is online now  
post #12870 of 13023 Old 10-08-2019, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Overall I have seen improvement with main repack channels, except for WGGS which moved from RF16 to RF2. And 13-WLOS also remains problematic, barely hanging on. But not all VHF is problematic, as my UHF antennas pull in good strong signals from WSPA and SCETV.

I have installed a Channel Master 5016 Masterpiece antenna with the long VHF elements in the attic. After some difficulty, I am finally receiving WGGS on RF2, but only 3 or 4 bars. And WLOS is only 2 or 3 bars on 13. And can only get a signal when the antenna is tilted upward. Have tried with or without several amplifiers. Still a challenge. And ironically it is now easier to pull in WSOC from Charlotte on 19 than it is to get WLOS on 13. And on 19 I get 3 or 4 bars during the day increasing to 6 or 10 at night depending upon conditions. WLOS and WGGS remain problematic, but still working on it. But moving an antenna with long elements between the rafters is a challenge in itself.

Good luck with new antenna. I wait to hear from anyone in NC that can get WGGS RF2. I can get SCETV 29/49 from Paris Mountain sometimes in NC.
johnny antenna is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
fox giving me trouble too. , i must be experiencing atmospheric block out

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off